PDA

View Full Version : Is Radwanska the highest ranked player ever without a Grand-Slam-semi?

Navratil
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
I know that Manuela Maleeva was Top 3 in the early 80ties and it took her another decade to reach the semi-final of the US-Open (which she did twice in the end).

But was there ever a Top 3 (or Top 4) player that never got beyond a Grand-Slam-quarterfinal?

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Magdalena Maleeva never played a Grand Slam semifinal and she reached a CHR of #4. She actually reached just one Grand Slam quarterfinal, when she was 17 and never reached that stage again :facepalm:

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
On the other hand, Mirjana Lucic is a multiple WTA tournament winner, has reached a Grand Slam semifinal and has won like 20 main draw Grand Slam matches and she has still to break the top 30 :oh:

Simugna Help
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Radwanska had never won a tier 1 tournament before october 2011, she had never got past quarterfinal in IW or Miami prior to March 2011. I'm sure reaching the final two rounds of a major will occur sooner than later, it's just another breakthrough she has yet to reach. :shrug:

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
If you take only the Grand Slam points from the last big 4, Radwanska is not even ranked top 16 :spit:

CloudAtlas
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Wasn't Azarenka ranked inside the top 4 with a Miami title and no Slam semis too? They're so similar :oh:

Navratil
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Magdalena Maleeva never played a Grand Slam semifinal and she reached a CHR of #4. She actually reached just one Grand Slam quarterfinal, when she was 17 and never reached that stage again :facepalm:

Oh yes! That is an amazing record! Maggi was like a consistent Round-4-player at the Slams but never really had a breakthrough at the Slams.

But she did beat Navratilova at the US-Open 1993 ;)

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
But she did beat Navratilova at the US-Open 1993 ;)

Wasn't that 1992? Her only QF showing?

fede33
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Azarenka was No. 4 without SF-Slam and reach his first achievement in Wimbledon beating Paszek in QF ;):bigwave::bigwave:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM

On the other hand, Mirjana Lucic is a multiple WTA tournament winner, has reached a Grand Slam semifinal and has won like 20 main draw Grand Slam matches and she has still to break the top 30 :oh:

And that's how life works :lol:
P.S. Lučić is multiple WTA tournament winner, but didn't she win only two WTA tournaments in Bol (Croatia) that was like Tier IV or V? Still, the first win was :eek: She did it from Q and that was like first or second WTA event for her...

Navratil
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:04 PM

You are right! Did you look it up? ;)

I just did. Quartelfinal in 1992. Breakthrough into Top Ten 1993 after semifinal in Hamburg (actually she got there because of the bonus-points she got when Monica Seles got attacked in the match against her)...

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM

I just did. Quartelfinal in 1992. Breakthrough into Top Ten 1993 after semifinal in Hamburg (actually she got there because of the bonus-points she got when Monica Seles got attacked in the match against her)...

Bad memories :sad:

StephenUK
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM

It was 92. This issue was discussed before and a very prescient poster ascribed Maggie's subsequent slam failings as being linked to the fall-out of playing Monica Seles when she was stabbed the following spring of 93. I would not be surprised if that was not part of the reason why Maggie could never even reach another quarter.

Sammo
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:20 PM

Yeah well Lucic was way more talented than Radwanska.

fede33
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM

And Aga much more talent that Stosur :shrug::wavey:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM

And Dokić has better rack :p :drool:

Halepsova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
If she can't make it in the next 3 slams...:o

fede33
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
And Dokić has better rack :p :drool:

clear ;)

Inger67
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
Azarenka was in the same shoes as Aga last year pretty much :shrug: And we know what she has done this year, so stop making a big deal out of nothing. You know she is eventually going to reach a slam semi (most likely this year) and eventually maybe even a slam!

pov
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
You know she is eventually going to reach a slam semi (most likely this year) and eventually maybe even a slam!
On one hand, I still don't see her winning a major, On the other, for women - winning any of the hardcourt majors is no more difficult than winning this SEO.

Joelina
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Radwanska is just another mediocre player, it´s a shame for WTA holding players like her

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:52 PM

No, I didn't :p But I vividly remember Navratilova lost in 1993 to Sukova and then Sukova went on and defeated ASV to make a very unexpected final. So it couldn't be 1993 :angel:

crazillo
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
I actually think Radwanska and Maleeva are quite similair. But Radwanska seems to be stronger mentally.

Sammo
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:15 PM

:happy:

AnomyBC
Jun 6th, 2012, 02:47 AM
You know she is eventually going to reach a slam semi (most likely this year) and eventually maybe even a slam!

Hasn't she reached a slam already? I could have sworn I've seen her at some :confused:

Maria4Ever
Jun 6th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Safina was the worst one of all

Doully
Jun 6th, 2012, 05:36 AM

As Samantha heads into her third RG SF.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Gainsy/tumblr_lh4znpp2G31qzjix8.gif

Maria4Ever
Jun 6th, 2012, 06:41 AM

In the bedroom? :lol:

Stosur has more talent in her little pinky finger than Radwanska on the tennis court, better serve, better volley and more damaging shots. Radwanska is a WORSE version of Elena Dementieva and Dementieva had a better game where she was a lot closer to a slam than Radwanska...in a tougher era with Serena and Venus at their prime.

Navratil
Jun 6th, 2012, 07:56 AM
The WTA should think about their ranking-system! There's no way that Radwanska is higher than a Grand-Slam winner like Stosur!

I don't like the idea that players just need to play a lot of tournaments then got to the top before they burnout.

The tour needs bonus-points and the Slams need way more importance!

Sombrerero loco
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM

:facepalm: stop it please

Gilas.
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Radwanska is a WORSE version of Elena Dementieva

NO similarities.

Dexter
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Yeah well Lucic was way more talented than Radwanska.Was? The last time I checked she played the ongoing tournament. :scratch: Why she cant use this talent to work her way up? What does the ranking-number next to her name say?

Brad[le]y.
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:24 AM
In the bedroom? :lol:

Stosur has more talent in her little pinky finger than Radwanska on the tennis court, better serve, better volley and more damaging shots. Radwanska is a WORSE version of Elena Dementieva and Dementieva had a better game where she was a lot closer to a slam than Radwanska...in a tougher era with Serena and Venus at their prime.

:spit: they play nothing alike.

The WTA should think about their ranking-system! There's no way that Radwanska is higher than a Grand-Slam winner like Stosur!

I don't like the idea that players just need to play a lot of tournaments then got to the top before they burnout.

The tour needs bonus-points and the Slams need way more importance!Considering Aga has more top 10 wins in the past year than Stosur, that would only put Aga further ahead :p

GSMPrzysiezny
Jun 6th, 2012, 09:40 AM
As Samantha heads into her third RG SF.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/Gainsy/tumblr_lh4znpp2G31qzjix8.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

She reached her first grand slam QF when she was 25. Radwanska had 5 of them before she turned 23.

:lol:

MercuriePL
Jun 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
But Radwanska has been owned in all of her 5 grand slam quarterfinals because of lack of athleticism which is MAJOR thing in tennis. Stosur overpowered Serena in her quarterfinal, Radwanska got 4 games with Serena in her quarterfinal. She is always killed by powerful hitters

tennisforadults
Jun 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

She reached her first grand slam QF when she was 25. Radwanska had 5 of them before she turned 23.

:lol:

Some people get better as they get older. Some people don't. :oh:

JoPova
Jun 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Sooner or later she'll get there. Surely a SF at the FO is unlikely, but she definitely has a chance at the AO/USO in my opinion.

Nicolás89
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:11 PM
Gorls please.

Charlatan
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Truly an astonishing achievement after trashing Rybarikova, Vesnina, Watson, Giorgi and Kirilenko left and right! :worship: When is your fav gonna do that? Her road is quite tough!!!

Stonerpova
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Truly an astonishing achievement after trashing Rybarikova, Vesnina, Watson, Giorgi and Kirilenko left and right! :worship: When is your fav gonna do that? Her road is quite tough!!!

I love you :sobbing:

Break My Rapture
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:34 PM
Well...it was bound to happen some time after draws keep falling apart left and right.

Simugna Help
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
Screamapova stans so pressed after their overranked fave lost in straight sets in round 4.

LoLex
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
She reached that no. 3 without semifinal, so nothing has really changed.

Nicolás89
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:57 PM
Well...it was bound to happen some time after draws keep falling apart left and right.

IKR that's how Azarenka got her first semis. :tennis:

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:06 AM
IKR that's how Azarenka got her first semis. :tennis:
LMFAO back the fuck up.

Hantuchova R3 - Petrova R4 - Paszek QF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forgotten person in R3 - Giorgi R4 - Kirilenko QF.

I salute you.

Stonerpova
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:17 AM
LMFAO back the fuck up.

Hantuchova R3 - Petrova R4 - Paszek QF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forgotten person in R3 - Giorgi R4 - Kirilenko QF.

I salute you.

I am LOVING this anti-Radwanska side of you :lol:

Craig.
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I am LOVING this anti-Radwanska side of you :lol:

Right?! :inlove:

Nicolás89
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:27 AM
LMFAO back the fuck up.

I salute you.

Oh no no no the match you need to win to get to the semis is the quarters and last year's Pascek was a joke compared to Kirilenko. And still I was refering to this phrase "draws keep falling apart left and right" which remains true in Azarenka's case.

You may leave the building now.

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Oh no no no the match you need to win to get to the semis is the quarters and last year's Pascek was a joke compared to Kirilenko. And still I was refering to this phrase "draws keep falling apart left and right" which remains true in Azarenka's case.

You may leave the building now.
How was Paszek last year a joke? :lol: And Azarenka's draw hardly fell apart last year apart from Paszek reaching QFs, and in the meantime she has proved that she was no fluke and now one of the best grass-courters of the lower ranked players.

Anywho, Azarenka's draw didn't have to fall apart for her to win her first slam...so have fun waiting for another once in a blue moon occasion where you faves can reach a slam F a la US Open 2009. :lol:

Nicolás89
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:40 AM
How was Paszek last year a joke? :lol:

She was 3-10 in first round matches prior to Wimbledon.
Now. This. Discussion. Is. Over.

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:43 AM
She was 3-10 in first round matches prior to Wimbledon.
Now. This. Discussion. Is. Over.
Paszek underperformed in the first 6 months of this year too, IIRC she won a total of one match before Eastbourne. I give you credit for trying tho.

Nicolás89
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Paszek underperformed in the first 6 months of this year too, IIRC she won a total of one match before Eastbourne.

I didn't know that. Gosh that Vika is lucky.

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I didn't know that. Gosh that Vika is lucky.
FYI grass is Kirilenko's worst surface.

Nicolás89
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:55 AM

Ok.

Caralenko
Jul 4th, 2012, 02:53 AM

No. Her game has changed. Sit down.

CarrieM
Jul 4th, 2012, 06:11 AM

I don't think you can say that anymore given how well she played

olivero
Jul 4th, 2012, 07:55 AM
LMFAO back the fuck up.

I salute you.

Actually Agnieszka could've faced Dani and Nadia in R3 and R4 too. And she would beat both of them as well :shrug:
Besides we still have to wait to see what Giorgi will do during this year. She may do better than Paszek.

Navratil
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
This is a very sad moment for women's tennis. Every PR-agent of the WTA-tour is close to suicide. :(

Since Kyoko Nagatsuka this is the most ugliest tennis I've seen. Even worse than Niculescu! :(

And Radwanska in the Wimbledon semi is even more ridiculous than Wozniacki. :(

But Kerber is the heavy favorite for the bookmakers to win the semi!! :)

adner
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:02 AM
This is a very sad moment for women's tennis. Every PR-agent of the WTA-tour is close to suicide. :(

Since Kyoko Nagatsuka this is the most ugliest tennis I've seen. Even worse than Niculescu! :(

Hey, pressed German, don't forget where Kerber actually comes from before you start loving her :lol:

Navratil
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Beast beats the beauty :(

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Editor/Img/WTA-Tennis-img4565_668.jpg

Vuvurenka
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Time to change your thread title to "Is Radwanska the highest ranked player ever without a Grand Slam Final?"

Navratil
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Hey, pressed German, don't forget where Kerber actually comes from before you start loving her :lol:

Don't get me wrong! I'm not patriotic at all! I would have prefered a Clijsters-Sharapova quarterfinal!

I don't care where a player comes from. But Kerber just plays a way more attractive game than Radwanska ;)

Kasey
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Kerber just plays a way more attractive game than Radwanska ;)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6is36apmS1r18olo.gif

Navratil
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Time to change your thread title to "Is Radwanska the highest ranked player ever without a Grand Slam Final?"

Guess she's 2nd after Wimbledon, isn't she?

So, yes - that's a good question. Has there ever been a # 2 without a major final?

Except Tommy Haas :lol:

cautiouslip
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Guess she's 2nd after Wimbledon, isn't she?

So, yes - that's a good question. Has there ever been a # 2 without a major final?

Except Tommy Haas :lol:

I think she only takes the 2nd ranking if she makes the final

Slamlesswanska
Jul 4th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Lady Jaja was no.1 and after she made USO final. But if Agnieszka want to be no.2 she must win in SF.:devil:

Raiden
Jul 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hey, pressed German, don't forget where Kerber actually comes from before you start loving her :lol:Do tell, mr blood & soil.

What (new) nonsense did the Polish tabloid preach to you about how so Polish Kerber is? Did they come to the point of claiming that she was secretly born and raised in Poland? I'm sure by the time she reaches the Wimbledon final, the tabloid headline in Poland will be that her German birth-certificate is fake and obtained from the Kenyan-Hawaiian-Indonesian mafia.

awsk8er
Jul 4th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Do tell, mr blood & soil.

What (new) nonsense did the Polish tabloid preach to you about how so Polish Kerber is? Did they come to the point of claiming that she was secretly born and raised in Poland? I'm sure by the time she reaches the Wimbledon final, the tabloid headline in Poland will be that her German birth-certificate is fake and obtained from the Kenyan-Hawaiian-Indonesian mafia.

wow, relax, I sense some nationality issues.I don't know, and I don't care, if she was born and raised in Poland or not, but she has a Polish Passport, if my memory serves me well.she has some Polish connections, but she is German and that's perfectly fine.that's all. don't need to attack people like that :rolleyes:
p.s tabloids dont write about her AT ALL.

Navratil
Jul 4th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Come on, Droog! Look at my posts! I don't prefer German players at all!

It doesn't matter. Different in soccer though - cause it's a national team and not a single person.

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:26 PM
No. Her game has changed. Sit down.
Her game hasn't changed significantly at all. She has always had a competent first serve, yesterday she had a really good serving day. The way she was hitting Radwanska off the court was similar to US Open 2009, only less effective because she doesn't feel as confident on this surface as on HC. The net skills have always been there.

Matt01
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Now that is some fine trolling here. :hearts: :inlove:

Caralenko
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Her game hasn't changed significantly at all. She has always had a competent first serve, yesterday she had a really good serving day. The way she was hitting Radwanska off the court was similar to US Open 2009, only less effective because she doesn't feel as confident on this surface as on HC. The net skills have always been there.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time replying to someone who likes both Sharapova and Katy Perry. Yes, Maria has always been skilled at the net but you're wrong if you think her serve used to be notably effective on grass. Up until this year, from my experience watching her, she had a habit of loading up all of her shots with enough weak spin to leave them short and ready to be put away on grass, see her rally balls here:

uEqDtsZB_Zk

She also played many more mid-court balls than she did this year. She was more confident in her variety and freely flattened and ripped shots against Aga.

Q7DCyhE5gMo

Kiri is more aggressive with her ball placement, using her skill set much more wisely this year and with Ovechkin in her camp she seems to be a lot more confident and ready to adjust herself in order to win.
Oh, and you may want to take into account her past Wimbledon draws when judging her achievements on grass. Kim & Serena stopped her from going past R3 most recently, hardly something to be ashamed of compared to some of her other losses at the AO or RG.

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I don't know why I'm wasting my time replying to someone who likes both Sharapova and Katy Perry. Yes, Maria has always been skilled at the net but you're wrong if you think her serve used to be notably effective on grass. Up until this year, from my experience watching her, she had a habit of loading up all of her shots with enough weak spin to leave them short and ready to be put away on grass, see her rally balls here:

uEqDtsZB_Zk

She also played many more mid-court balls than she did this year. She was more confident in her variety and freely flattened and ripped shots against Aga.

Q7DCyhE5gMo

Kiri is more aggressive with her ball placement, using her skill set much more wisely this year and with Ovechkin in her camp she seems to be a lot more confident and ready to adjust herself in order to win.
Oh, and you may want to take into account her past Wimbledon draws when judging her achievements on grass. Kim & Serena stopped her from going past R3 most recently, hardly something to be ashamed of compared to some of her other losses at the AO or RG.
If you have nothing better to say than state who I like then you might as well shut it Cara. :lol:
Her game hasn't changed at all. Her first serve when on is competent on any surface, even in the previous years on grass. You're comparing her match vs Radwanska to a match where she plays Serena Williams, here. Of course she will try to flatten out her shots (which is merely a change of game plan, not a change of her game) when she's playing someone as passive as Radwanska. She did the same thing in their previous matches, most notably US Open 2009. The lack of pace on Radwanska's shots also allows Kiri to flatten out her shots. And naturally, since she knows she can't overpower Williams, she tries to keep a decent margin for error on her regular rally shot to make the rallies longer and more awkward for Williams in order to draw errors. Flattening her shots againt Serena on grass would've only played into Serena's hands, Kiri knows that too. Serena's pace of shot is too big for Kiri's swings (particularly FH) to properly set up on grass. Most of the time she gets rushed and leaks errors.
Kirilenko has played other tournaments than Wimbledon on grass too and has had some pretty bad losses overall on the surface for example losing to Dushevina, Urszula Radwanska and Bammer. Grass is definitely her worst surface IMO.

Caralenko
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:08 PM
If you have nothing better to say than state who I like then you might as well shut it Cara. :lol:
Her game hasn't changed at all. Her first serve when on is competent on any surface, even in the previous years on grass. You're comparing her match vs Radwanska to a match where she plays Serena Williams, here. Of course she will try to flatten out her shots (which is merely a change of game plan, not a change of her game) when she's playing someone as passive as Radwanska. She did the same thing in their previous matches, most notably US Open 2009. The lack of pace on Radwanska's shots also allows Kiri to flatten out her shots. And naturally, since she knows she can't overpower Williams, she tries to keep a decent margin for error on her regular rally shot to make the rallies longer and more awkward for Williams in order to draw errors. Flattening her shots againt Serena on grass would've only played into Serena's hands, Kiri knows that too. Serena's pace of shot is too big for Kiri's swings (particularly FH) to properly set up on grass. Most of the time she gets rushed and leaks errors.

Go away.

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Go away.
I was already planning to since you have nothing worth reading anyway.

Slamlesswanska
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Ajde Cara!

Renalicious
Jul 5th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I was already planning to since you have nothing worth reading anyway.

Omfg lol once upon a time, you guys were friends. :tape: