PDA

View Full Version : Chanelle Scheepers rules herself OUT of the Olympics. Nathalie Grandin dissapointed.

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.businessday.co.za/Articles/Content.aspx?id=167945

Grandin disappointed over Olympic pullout

SA will not be represented in the Olympic Games tennis tournament in London this year
SPORTS STAFF Published: 2012/03/22 08:02:40 AM

SA WILL not be represented in the Olympic Games tennis tournament in London this year, dashing local Natalie Grandin’s hopes.
The Durban-born 27th-ranked women’s doubles player yesterday said she had set her heart on competing in the Olympic event, which is staged on the Wimbledon courts.

A difficult week in South African tennis saw top South African men’s and women’s players Kevin Anderson and Chani Scheepers deciding not to make themselves available for next month’s crucial Davis Cup and Fed Cup events.

The International Tennis Federation rules stipulate that only players who have made themselves available for Davis Cup or Fed Cup action in two of the past four years will be eligible to compete in the Games.

This has not only disqualified Anderson and Scheepers from competing, but has also affected SA’s Davis Cup and Fed Cup prospects. Without the country’s top players in the Euro-Africa Davis Cup tie against Slovenia in Soweto early next month, and the Euro-Africa Group Two Fed Cup play-offs in Egypt later in the month, SA will have to rely on their less experienced charges.

"This was going to be an experience of a lifetime partnering Kevin and Chani at the Olympic Games," Grandin said. "Now it has all gone up in smoke."

Adding to the South African Tennis Association’s woes is the fact that SA’s No2 men’s player, Rik de Voest, has also pulled out of the Davis Cup tie against Slovenia because of "personal problems".

Without Anderson and De Voest, SA’s prospects of beating the Slovenian squad and going on to qualify for a place in the Davis Cup World Group play-offs later in the year have taken a serious knock.

It emerged on Tuesday that Anderson is missing the Davis Cup tie in order to pursue US citizenship. This was revealed by SA team captain John-Laffnie de Jager on Tuesday after Anderson, the world No28, De Voest and Fritz Wolmarans declared themselves unavailable for the tie.

"Kevin told me that while he is in the process of obtaining his green card for citizenship he is not able to leave the US without a visa," De Jager said.

Valanga
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Is that some kind of retaliation towards SA tennis association?

Kworb
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
I wonder why Chanelle pulled out. :confused:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
WOW! In a time when people are changing citizenship in order to compete in Olympics, these two are treating it like a third grade ATP/WTA event :eek: So strange... Especially for Kev, since this is probably his last chance to compete.

Juju Nostalgique
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
The importance of the Olympics is in the eye of the beholder IMO. :o

Patrick345
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
What is the reason behind this?

Some people are really strange. Who would voluntarily miss the biggest sporting event in the world at the biggest tennis venue in the world, a once in a lifetime opportunity, possibly over some beef with your tennis federation. Suck it up, play the Fed Cup tie. Think the suits in the Federation will have any regrets over it in 20 years?

Kristoffer
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
in my opinion:
Natalie Grandin will play with Chanel Simmonds in doubles event, as ITF will invite the highest ranked African player(as they did back in 2008 with Selima Sfar) to singles event who is Chanel Simmonds (after Scheepers), and therefore they will be rewarded a place in doubles event imo...
Or even if Chanel Simmonds doesn't get a spot in singles event, they can apply for a place in doubles, which they can easily get, as there are no other chance to Africa, and spread of players is important in case of Olympics.

Queenpova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Jeepers creepers stays mad

fede33
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
Nathalie :sad:

flareon
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
interesting there is a tournament same week is there not perhaps chanelle will play there.

StephenUK
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:15 PM
in my opinion:
Natalie Grandin will play with Chanel Simmonds in doubles event, as ITF will invite the highest ranked African player(as they did back in 2008 with Selima Sfar) to singles event who is Chanel Simmonds (after Scheepers), and therefore they will be rewarded a place in doubles event imo...
Or even if Chanel Simmonds doesn't get a spot in singles event, they can apply for a place in doubles, which they can easily get, as there are no other chance to Africa, and spread of players is important in case of Olympics.

Could be, although South Africa as a whole probably too many competitors in all Olympic events to qualify for an IOC place. I can see Ons Jabeur of Tunisia getting an IOC spot, I doubt the Tunisian team is very big.

pov
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
The importance of the Olympics anything is in the eye of the beholder IMO. :o
---

joeh37
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Could be, although South Africa as a whole probably too many competitors in all Olympic events to qualify for an IOC place. I can see Ons Jabeur of Tunisia getting an IOC spot, I doubt the Tunisian team is very big.

The rules states less than 6 athletes at the last two olympics. Tunisia will have sent more than 6.
Vogt is probably assured of that place with someone else.
The ITF places is where simmonds is likely to get in, because they don't reflect the size of the squad it's all about geographical spread.
In 2008 those places went to,
Mariya Koryttseva Ukraine
Chan Yung-Jan Chinese Taipei
Tamarine Tanasugarn Thailand
Nuria Llagostera Vives Spain
Ayumi Morita Japan
Alicia Molik Australia
Selima Sfar Tunisia

all from reasonably sized olympic teams.

Kristoffer
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM

But 'be big as a whole' doesn't matter in case of ITF places (see criterias below), only in cases of Tripartite Commission Places (which likely will be Lichtenstein - Stephanie Vogt and an other really 'small' nation).
There are 6 ITF places which is based on:
i) Recognised World Ranking
ii) Whether the NOC is represented in the Tennis Event
iii) Number of players on site
iv) Geographical location.
So Ons Jabeur is out of question due to her low rank....Nadia Lalami (Morocco) might be possible, but she is not even in TOP300....Chanel Simmonds is the obvious choice.

duhcity
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
What is the reason behind this?

Some people are really strange. Who would voluntarily miss the biggest sporting event in the world at the biggest tennis venue in the world, a once in a lifetime opportunity, possibly over some beef with your tennis federation. Suck it up, play the Fed Cup tie. Think the suits in the Federation will have any regrets over it in 20 years?

Because it's your opinion that it's the biggest sporting event, at the biggest tennis venus, and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I never understand how some people don't realize the Olympics isn't on such a high pedestal, or even that Wimbledon is not the ultimate tennis goal, and that some may even prefer Roland Garros, Flushing Meadows, or Melbourne Park.

Comebacksova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Bring Mandy Coetzer back. :armed:

ptkten
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
It's baffling to me as well. If I was a tennis player this would be my number one priority as well. It may not be as important as a grand slam title to tennis historians but what could possibly beat the experience of playing for your country in the Olympics on Centre Court at Wimbledon? These people are going to regret missing this for the rest of their lives, it's the Olympics for goodness sake, not a stupid Fed Cup tie.

Randy H
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
My understanding was that Chanelle was only going to consider playing the Fed Cup tie if there was an assurance of some kind that the ITF was going to grant her some kind of exemption to compete in the Olympics as a result of making herself available. She had not made herself available to compete prior, so this would have been her first time out of a required 2 times in 4 years eligibility. She was probably told that this would not be enough to make her eligible and therefore decided not to compete.

Petkorazzi
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:08 PM
There's gotta be some inside story we don't know. Otherwise Scheepers deserves no respect whatsoever. It's not like RSA has anyone who can replace her.

Randy H
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
There's gotta be some inside story we don't know. Otherwise Scheepers deserves no respect whatsoever. It's not like RSA has anyone who can replace her.

No respect? I feel bad that Nat Grandin may miss out on an opportunity to compete, but Chanelle has every right to skip Fed Cup for whatever reason she wants. I don't know the history between her and the Federation, but I do know that she has credited her success and ability to continue on the tour during some low points thanks to Liezel Huber and her husband, not the support of the South African tennis federation. In fact I seem to recall hearing several accounts of them giving poor support to their players and their development, so I doubt Chanelle feels she owes them any favours now that she is doing well. While I'm not exactly a fan of Liezel, I do have to give her props for giving a player like Chanelle the opportunity help sustain herself financially and have a fair chance to live her dream.

Petkorazzi
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:38 PM
Fedcup is playing for your nation, not the federation. :shrug: I couldn't deny playing FC for years and years knowing that my country is in some EA group zone about to drop even lower and my presence would prevent that.

the jamierbelyea
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
Fedcup is playing for your nation, not the federation. :shrug: I couldn't deny playing FC for years and years knowing that my country is in some EA group zone about to drop even lower and my presence would prevent that.

It's not the simple is it. The federation still runs the show when it comes to Fed Cup, which is why a player like Marion Bartoli gets denied a spot and will likely miss the games, because she doesn't want to fit in to the Federation's whims. It's very much playing for your federation.

Patrick345
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Because it's your opinion that it's the biggest sporting event, at the biggest tennis venus, and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Itīs a fact. Summer Olympics and Football World Cup are the two biggest sport events and nothing else comes even close.

For many athletes it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, certainly for Scheepers.

I never understand how some people don't realize the Olympics isn't on such a high pedestal, or even that Wimbledon is not the ultimate tennis goal, and that some may even prefer Roland Garros, Flushing Meadows, or Melbourne Park.

So say some of the other venues are the ultimate goal. When are the next Olympic games in Paris, Melbourne or New York?

ArturoAce.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
What a bummer for Natalie. :awww:

edificio
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
Well, I guess this is okay for Scheepers, but poor Nathalie Grandin. It's possible that Scheepers doesn't want to play "for her country." It is her choice to make herself available or not. We don't know the whole story, but perhaps something will work out for the SA athletes who want to compete.

Maddy-88
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't blame all players for pulling out. The South African Tennis Association does nothing for their players, they're pretty much on their own, and when they do well for themselves they are needed for Davis/Fed Cup... Bullshit :o

Wiggly
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
It's an opportunity to play for the Olympics in Wimbledon.

Half the ITF Tour would sell their mother for that chance and she says no? WTF.

M.A.S.L.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Itīs a fact. Summer Olympics and Football World Cup are the two biggest sport events and nothing else comes even close.

For many athletes it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, certainly for Scheepers.

So say some of the other venues are the ultimate goal. When are the next Olympic games in Paris, Melbourne or New York?

the fact is Olympics Games moves a lot of money; perhaps somebody (me, in her shoes) doesnīt want to participate in the great thing that it has become.

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM

And the other half would sell their fathers.

Chanelle :facepalm:

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
the fact is Olympics Games moves a lot of money; perhaps somebody (me, in her shoes) doesnīt want to participate in the great thing that it has become.

Yeah, right. Whatever. Perroflauta.

killerqueen
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
Maybe I'm still misunderstanding the rules, but how would Grandin get in? Scheepers would have a good chance through her singles ranking, but Grandin doesn't really do much in singles, and is far off the top 10 in doubles? :confused:

Or is it a case of one player in a team needing to qualify? So like, if Aga wanted to play doubles, could she hypothetically enter and then play with Ula, who is unlikely to make either draw based on her ranking? :confused:

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Maybe I'm still misunderstanding the rules, but how would Grandin get in? Scheepers would have a good chance through her singles ranking, but Grandin doesn't really do much in singles, and is far off the top 10 in doubles? :confused:

Or is it a case of one player in a team needing to qualify? So like, if Aga wanted to play doubles, could she hypothetically enter and then play with Ula, who is unlikely to make either draw based on her ranking? :confused:

Just like in the Grand Slams (ITF event just like the Olympics), both singles and doubles rankings count towards the entry list for the doubles event. Grandin is Top 30 in doubles, Scheepers is Top 50 in singles. They would have made it easily.

Valanga
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
It's an opportunity to play for the Olympics in Wimbledon.

:worship:

HOS
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:40 PM
i am thinking Scheeprs is heaindg Anderson and Hubers way to get a US passport...disappointing though, esp for Grandin (who i don;t like at all but appreciate her point of view)

Henin did this to callens in 2004....sort of....said no doubles thnaks so Callens couldnt defend her bronze as C;ijsters out (sponsers) and Sabine and Domi retired

killerqueen
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:47 PM
Just like in the Grand Slams (ITF event just like the Olympics), both singles and doubles rankings count towards the entry list for the doubles event. Grandin is Top 30 in doubles, Scheepers is Top 50 in singles. They would have made it easily.

Oh right, thinking about it more, I think I was mixing up the rules for doubles and mixed doubles. :facepalm:

chingching
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:54 AM
This is so horrible on natalie :(
If only liezel hadnt left

paul_masterton
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:25 AM
This is a bit of a non-story, Scheepers couldn't have played the Olympics if she played Fed Cup this year as she needed 2 years and has never made herself available for Fed Cup since 2005.

The ITF were never going to give an exemption to her, so why would she play EA Group II this year instead of her tournament schedule (she is top 40 now) if it would have made no difference to her (or Nat) getting to the Olympics?

I could understand if she had played last year and refused to do so this year.

The Witch-king
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
It's a shame. I wonder if a black South African would do this. doubt it.

Adidas Dude
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
In fairness to Henin, 2004 was when she suffered from Glandular Fever. Had she played doubles with Callens, she may not have won the Gold Medal in singles. Feel bad for Callens, but Henin is only human.

Randy H
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:51 PM
This is a bit of a non-story, Scheepers couldn't have played the Olympics if she played Fed Cup this year as she needed 2 years and has never made herself available for Fed Cup since 2005.

The ITF were never going to give an exemption to her, so why would she play EA Group II this year instead of her tournament schedule (she is top 40 now) if it would have made no difference to her (or Nat) getting to the Olympics?

I could understand if she had played last year and refused to do so this year.

This. People (including the person who wrote this article) need to pay a little more attention to the rules before assuming that she just decided to skip the Olympics based on this decision :lol: She was not eligible on her own even if she had played this tie so it was really irrelevant. Even a year ago she really wasn't in contention ranking wise to be competing, so I doubt that she was even really thinking about the Olympics until the last 9 months or so when her ranking shot up.

ArturoAce.
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:35 AM
This. People (including the person who wrote this article) need to pay a little more attention to the rules before assuming that she just decided to skip the Olympics based on this decision :lol: She was not eligible on her own even if she had played this tie so it was really irrelevant. Even a year ago she really wasn't in contention ranking wise to be competing, so I doubt that she was even really thinking about the Olympics until the last 9 months or so when her ranking shot up.

Which is why I am so confused as to why Natalie thought she could potentially play... :scratch:

paul_masterton
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Hoping for special dispensation or a wild card for African representation I think. As has been said Chani wanted confirmation in advance dispensation would be granted, she didn't get it.