PDA

View Full Version : Which is the bigger surprise: Aga over Maria (Miami) OR Stosur over Serena (US Open)?

tennisphilia
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:04 AM
Both Serena and Sharapova were expected to win the US Open and Miami tournaments after reaching the finals. But both fell in straight sets to the underdogs. Which was the more surprising result?

Tennisation
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:08 AM
Why is this even a question? Hands down Stosur over Serena. Serena was the best player of the US summer hardcourts going undefeated AND beating Stosur in straight sets along the way. On the other hand, Stosur is well Stosur and NOBODY expected her to win a slam let alone the US Open.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:23 AM
:facepalm: winning Miami over Sharapova or winning GS over home crowd in form favourite Williams. Easy, isn't it.

tennisrules
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:27 AM
I will be shocked if this is even close. I thought Stosur had, maybe, if she was lucky, a 1-5% chance of beating Serena at last year's U.S. Open. Serena's form was excellent and she looked motivated and confident.

Maria has been terrible in finals for the past year now, I thought it was 50-50 as to who would win. I gave Aga a great shot to beat Maria considering how tight Maria has been in finals lately.

Who are the 2 people (as of this post) who voted Aga over Masha?:lol::tape:

danieln1
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:30 AM
Stosur beating Serena in a slam final is a infinity more dificult task to do than to beat out of sorts Finalpova in Miami Final.

Amalgamate
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:31 AM
Not even a question. Next.

LoLex
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM
Serena crashed Sam in Toronto final. She was the clear favourite. And besides everyone knew before the match that Stosur usually sucks in finals.

Malva
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM
No doubt in my mind that it was Stosur beating Serena. I suspect, however, that Serena approached the US Open Final too confident and as a result, underestimated her rival. On the contrary, Sharapova seemed to approach the Miami Final very well prepared, physically, and tactically, even if in the end this didn't work.

SwingVolley93
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:44 AM
Enough.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/kenity/tumblr_lyowgtFgpa1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

graffite
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:45 AM
The answer seems evident. Another interesting poll would be what's more surprising - Stosur d Serena at USO or Caro d Serena at Miami?

justineheninfan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:49 AM
I wasnt even surprised Radwanska beat Sharapova. I slightly picked her in the final despite Maria's dominant H2H, considering Radwanska's form of the last 6 months, the competitiveness of many of their recent matches, and Maria's trouble performing in finals.

justineheninfan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:05 AM
Stosur beating Serena at the French in 2010 would be a better poll option. Stosur beating Serena at the 2011 U.S Open was far and away a bigger big match upset then we have had recently.

Holdsworth
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:27 AM
What surprise in Miami are u talking about ?? Bets were 1.67 - 2.10

BlueTrees
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Yeah, cause Sharapova's had such a great record in finals as of late :eek: :facepalm:

MrJovani2293
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Either.

Lulu.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:01 AM
US Open. I still don't understand how she managed to lose it. :lol:

Beat
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Why is this even a question? Hands down Stosur over Serena. Serena was the best player of the US summer hardcourts going undefeated AND beating Stosur in straight sets along the way. On the other hand, Stosur is well Stosur and NOBODY expected her to win a slam let alone the US Open.

+1
and rad's win over sharapova was not a huge surprise at all, seeing that she only lost to azarenka all year and seems to be in the form of ther life - which can't be said of sharapova.

bulava
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:01 AM
Stosur. One of my employees complimented that she's WTA's Nadal (body) :cool:

Trickle
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
I'm sure if you asked Sam herself a few years ago that she would eventually win the U.S Open having to endure three tiebreakers, three 3-setters and eventually a straight sets win over Serena Williams in the final, she would have laughed and told you in her Aussie accent that you were on crack.

In their preliminary matches to get to the final, Sam struggled through her matches. Serena breezed through her matches. She handed out 5 breadsticks and 1 bagel. Sam handed out nothing.

Stosur had a horrible finals track record before this and Serena was in fine form on HC not losing a match all season. So it was very shocking when Sam was the one who beat her. She wanted it so bad, to represent America on the 10th Anniversary of 9/11.

If anything, because Sam was expected to lose she had nothing to lose. If she played a good shot, people would have applauded her for giving Serena a rough time and a bit of a contest. But she totally eclipsed expectations.

Serena tried to give all she got that day but just couldn't get over Sam.

The betting odds say it all...

Maria - Aga
1.67 - 2.17
Serena - Sam
1.14 - 5.55

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Serena's record in major finals coming into the u.s. open: 13-3. So for her to lose to Stosur of all people..is shock shock.
Masha hasn't been good in finals since her surgery, soo...:shrug:

Sam L
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
LOL surely you don't need to ask.

Stosur is a mental midget. Serena needed to hand her the match and Stosur needed to have zero pressure. That was what happened. Serena had all the pressure and it was played on the day of 9/11 anniversary.

The stars aligned for Stosur. It won't happen again.

JRena
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Dumb poll.

Sombrerero loco
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
lol sam over serena by far

vozas
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:10 AM
The USO final, obviously. Serena got completely outplayed, and that's what was surprising and impressive.

Utterchaos
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Stosur...seeing her hammer Serena like that in a GS final was shocking. I knew Stosur has weapon to win, but I thought she'd collapse mentally. Look what happened in RG2010 and that was on clay and not final. On hardcourt in US? I thought Stosur would lose no matter how well she played.

Grigorpova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Stosurs mentality is a mess.

Linguae^
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
The first one wasn't even a surprise, for heaven's sake.

Sund7101
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
Anyone beating Serena in a Grand Slam final is a surprise.

Sammo
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Sam over Serena obviously. Even I told Sam's brother the day before the final that I didn't have any hopes :lol: