PDA

View Full Version : Can Agatha or Martha win RG?

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:01 AM
I still think that once again some dark horse will get to the finishing line :angel: (Errani? :lol: )

RADWANKSA, SHARAPOVA CAN BOTH WIN FRENCH
Agnieszka Radwanska says that she was born with some type of instinct that allows her to play thinking women’s brand of tennis, one that is creative and flexible. No one is born is a certain type of tennis style, at least that’s what most social studies instruct is about how so called talented people pick up sports skills.
So really, some credit must be given to her intense father Robert, whom she gave the boot to last summer as her traveling coach, but whom she still uses at home and on the phone. She is a more independent woman now at 23, full of a soft-spoken bravado and seemingly ready to take on all challenges.
After somewhat shocking Maria Sharapova in the Miami final, she has now won five WTA Priemer titles in the past eight months and has risen to No. 4 in the world. She is close to No. 3 and outside of her losses to Victoria Azarenka this season, she has looked very close to being the world’s No. 2 player, right next to Sharapova, who has had a very good, but not great season.
It is now high time for her to make breakthrough at Slam. Just image say, if Azarenka got hurt, could not compete through Wimbledon, and Radwanska won Rome, Madrid and reached the semis of Roland Garros and Wimbledon and gained No. 1? What would the tennis world think then, that a woman who (hypothetically as she has even yet reached a Slam semi) did not reach her first Slam final four until 2012 Roland Garros is actually deserving of the top spot? I shudder at the thought of trying to defend how and why that occurred.
Radwanska is not a tall person with strong upper body, but she is terrific mover with ample power off the ground and good first serve. There is no reason why she cannot counterpunch, and even punch, herself to a Slam title at the French Open. There is currently no obvious favorite on clay amongst the women. Francesca Schiavone has really faded, Li Na is way too up and down and while Samantha Stosur has the capability of winning the title, but she has not had a good start to the year and has to work of rebuilding her confidence. And of Azarenka, who has only lost one match this year: she has never had great clay court results and must prove herself on the surface. So at the every least give Radwanska a very good chance to triumph.
I would also give Sharapova a chance at winning her first French crown too (who would have thought that when she first began her career?), as she has been very consistent this year and has been close to playing at the top of her game on many occasions. She is without question a frustrating player to watch at times because when she is off she does not commit to playing enough defense. Yes, on most days she can hit herself out of trouble but on some days, like against Radwanska on Saturday, she cannot. She is also not thinking hard enough on court when she is getting frustrated and should have picked up on a few of Radwanska’s tendencies, like her love of going to right-handers forehand with her first serve.
Anyone who thinks that just because Sharapova gives gracious runners-up speeches that she is pleased with losing three finals this year without winning a set does not know her at all. That’s her public mask, not her private face and she knew she let go of a big opportunity go on Saturday. She is entered in Stuttgart at the end of April and it will be very interesting to see if she actually plays, or just goes and does the Madrid-Rome swing. If she can continue to commit to her swing volley and moving forward, as well as trusting her legs on defense, she’ll be quite formidable on dirt because even though she’s banger, her point construction has improved a ton. She appears to be way overdue to win her fourth Slam, but all the WTA’s Young Big 4 (Azarenka, Radwanksa, Kvitova and Woznaicki) have room to improve so the time is upon her to do so.

Brad[le]y.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:08 AM
Well they're hardly clay court goddesses so I would usually say no. But the clay court field is so depleted these days that almost anyone in the top 20 is a contender.

Tennis Observer
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:23 AM
The quoted text (http://tinyurl.com/d22end7) was written by Matthew Cronin who covers professional tennis for two decades.

Irute
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:26 AM
They both can win it, but the question is "Will one of them do that?"

Stonerpova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:27 AM
Claypova gonna slay :armed: as long as her final opponent is not in the top 20

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:29 AM
The quoted text (http://tinyurl.com/d22end7) was written by Matthew Cronin who covers professional tennis for two decades.

Yup, I wasn't able to put the link from TR, and forgot to sign him.
Anyhow, I think he is dead wrong :lol:

Nicolás89
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:36 AM
Azarenka has this.

danieln1
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:38 AM
Radwanska yes.

The other no.

NashaMasha
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Radwanska yes.

The other no.

Pls check 2011 RG results

Sharapova in SF with Radwanska beaten by Pova in 4th round :)

Aga played the same consistent tennis , but lost to 47W/44UE Sharapova
http://blogs.tennis.com/racquet_reaction/2011/05/roland-garros-sharapova-d-radwanska.html

Grigorpova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
No I think either Vika, Petra or Stosur will win.

Stosur knows what she has to do to prepare for a final now, so I'm not gonna count her out.

Miracle Worker
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:33 PM
No.

Agatha is obvious favorite to win RG, so she won't win. Martha won't win, cause she will have another mental problems in final.

Charlatan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Why single out the two? As we know, the RG has always been open for most top players.
If I have to answer it, NO! vika, petra, serena, sam are stronger contenders. Plus, I can kind of see maria exiting at around R4 :shrug:

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Last year was Li-Schiavone in the final.
I think at least 5, maybe 10 players have a chance
This is the most open major. Where a player can get hot, and big servers cant overpower them. But the big servers have their chances too

The way Vika is playing, she's probably the favorite now, but who knows if she holds this form into early June.

killerqueen
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM
I think both have a shot, based on the fact that RG is going to be open for pretty much all of the Top 20. That being said, I wouldn't expect Aga to win here - I actually think she can eventually win a slam, but I don't see it being on clay. Maria has improved so miuch on the surface, but apparently can't play in finals anymore, so even if she gets there, I can't see her beating whoever she would face up against. :facepalm:

I'd give the edge to Maria over Aga though, just because Aga has never done much on clay, whereas Maria had a solid season last year and has the benefit of a half-decent serve to help her out this time around. Vika is still my tip though.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:55 PM
Why single out the two? As we know, the RG has always been open for most top players.
If I have to answer it, NO! vika, petra, serena, sam are stronger contenders. Plus, I can kind of see maria exiting at around R4 :shrug:

I didn't, Cronin did :oh:

Wiggly
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:57 PM
The journalists are finally starting to hype some players instead of saying everyone is pure crap.

Charlatan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
I didn't, Cronin did :oh:

NID :rolls:

stromatolite
Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
I would be a bit surprised if Maria or Aga won it, but by no means shocked. As many have said the field is pretty open, but I don't think either of these women are among the frontrunners. Sam, Vika, Petra and (if she gets her act together in time) Serena are better prospects IMO.

maturedgirl
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:18 AM
Aga can win on every surface, but the difference btw. about 10 favs will be made by healthy and mental shape.

Going for Stosur, Vika or Aga

Johnbert
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:24 AM
vika, petra, serena, sam are stronger contenders. Plus, I can kind of see maria exiting at around R4 :shrug:

serena on clay?!? :confused:

rg is wide open. there's no "female nadal" like henin few years ago. both could win rg, but i don't think either will make it.

Shivank17
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Maria will make 5 continuous RG finals, and then finally win it when she's 30. :rocker2:

leon charles
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Agatha is obvious favorite to win RG
You cannot possibly be serious.

bulava
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Agatha or Martha? Never heard those names :secret:

Miracle Worker
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
You cannot possibly be serious.

Not for me of course, but as you can see first 'expert' picked her :oh: And I'm pretty sure dozens of others will pick her too, so she will become so kind of fave. But of course she will be sent home before 2nd week.

AliceMariaRenka
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Last year was Li-Schiavone in the final.
I think at least 5, maybe 10 players have a chance
This is the most open major. Where a player can get hot, and big servers cant overpower them. But the big servers have their chances too

The way Vika is playing, she's probably the favorite now, but who knows if she holds this form into early June.

This.

Since Justine retired the so called favourite hasn't won, and I doubt anyone would have predicted the winner since 2008.

And I don't think anyone can make any predictions until we've seen the players forms on the clay run ups.

Yoncé
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Around about the same time when hell freezes over, yes.

SpanishSuenos
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
If Agatha will play in RG like this in Miami, why not?
Everything is possible in WTA Tour.

JRena
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Anyone in the top 20 can do it tbh..

Mynarco
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Everything is possible on clay.

MaRearSharaPoova
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Azarenka or Klitora seem to be the favourites at the moment, they won't choke like Maria will in the final... as sad as it is, I don't think Maria will ever win another slam... maybe in wheelchair tennis oneday

chingching
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
they both can

Rest Maria!
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:54 AM
To win any tournament you have to win in the final :secret:

Pops Maellard
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Radwanska yes.

The other no.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyquooE4Km1qm6bdq.gif

Yoncé
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Azarenka or Klitora

I don't know if that was deliberate or not. Either way, it killed me :haha:

Rest Maria!
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:15 PM
I don't know if that was deliberate or not. Either way, it killed me :haha:
That's Li Na's pronunciation of Petra's name :angel: :haha:

MaRearSharaPoova
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
^ Bingo. See the IW player quiz

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Well, at least one of the RG finalists has a really strong lead-up claycourt season. Ivanovic, Safina, Kuznetsova, Stosur, Li Na had excellent lead-ups the year they won/made the final. Once they make the final, anything is possible. So the form of players going in will say a lot.

Agatha is comfortable on the surface, but because she does not use topspin, it is harder to recover against the hard shots of ballbashers with time to line up their shots on the faster clay and with the light balls. She needs to use angles and drop shots much more to expose the lack of movement of opponents. Even though the Sharpie match at RG last year was close, Sharpie had an insane amount of winners. Too much hitting up and down the court from Agatha there.

As for Sharpie, as much as it pains me to think of her as an RG champion, the lack of true dominant claycourters around (and she owns Stosur) means she has as good a shot as anyone.

cellophane
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Those Agatha and Martha nicknames :lol:

C. Drone
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM

still dumb as fuck.

mauresmofan
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
No for Maria, she had her opportunity last year and she played a terrible semi final.....so many df's and terrible ground strokes......she was just awful. Radwanska certainly has a chance but she'll probably need to be able to beat Azarenka or Stosur to do it and that'll be very hard for her.

NashaMasha
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Radwanska certainly has a chance but she'll probably need to be able to beat Azarenka or Stosur to do it and that'll be very hard for her.

as for beating Azarenka - it is impossible for Radwanska, as she has no weapons against her

Sharapova at least has such weapons , but can't find a clue how to use it against Vika

Critique
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I would put Azarenka, Kvitova and Stosur above them both at this point. Sharapova can most certainly make the finals if she keeps UE down and serve under control. Radwanska would need all the luck in the world at this point to take title, although this is WTA we are talking about so it is possible.

It is hard to say for anyone at the moment really. WTA clay court tennis is hideously bad right now and most of top players must like their chance for the title. It will be easier to see who is playing well during the European swing.

Tomic
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
I think the Fo Winner Is going be someone Unexpected Like always, To win their First Slam

Utterchaos
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Fluffdwanska lacks raw power to generate winners on clay and Sharapova lacks movement. Neither of them have a chance to win RG

NashaMasha
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
I think the Fo Winner Is going be someone Unexpected Like always, To win their First Slam
Princess Caroline?:hah::happy::lol::haha:

Novichok
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Yes. And yes.

Tomic
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Princess Caroline?:hah::happy::lol::haha:

I didn't even bring her name Up I was just point out that ever since Justine Left Their been First time GS Winner @ RG Beside Kuzzy, But I happy U thought of Her Hater Ya Need a Life :lol:

Wiggly
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Roland Garros 2012 will be the most open Slam ever.

About 10 players have reasonable chances.

Aryman3
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
NashaMasha - you're like aristocrats of the French Revolution epoch. They never understood why their world has fallen down
Once again this stupid comments of the type:"Aga has no weapons against... Shame

Tomic
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
NashaMasha - you're like aristocrats of the French Revolution epoch. They never understood why their world has fallen down
Once again this stupid comments of the type:"Aga has no weapons against... Shame

Don't even waste Your time commented on that loser He/She need Help :help:

Stonerpova
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Roland Garros 2012 will be the most open Slam ever.

About 10 players have reasonable chances.

I'd even say more than that. The entire top ten plus The Williams Sisters, Ivanovic, and Clijsters could win it and I wouldn't be surprised.

Tomic
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
^ I agree with GameSetAndMatch, It like that every year at RG since Henin Left, I hope Pavlyuchenkova get it together Before RG she got some point to defend

dsanders06
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
Huh, I actually think this one is a lot less open than RG has been for the last couple of years. I have a hard time seeing anyone outside of Azarenka, Kvitova, Sharapova, Clijsters or maybe Serena or Stosur winning it.

C. Drone
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
I'd even say more than that. The entire top ten plus The Williams Sisters, Ivanovic, and Clijsters could win it and I wouldn't be surprised.

I dont think so. Maybe i´m stupid or overthinking, but 5-6 player max I could name.
And just because Schiavone or Na Li won, I would be surprised if Petkovic, Bartoli or such random player would win.

Rest Maria!
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Actually Petkovic or Bartoli winning RG is A LOT less random than Sharapova fluking her way into Q1's three biggest events' finals, so it might happen. :shrug:

Gilas.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
Maybe Maria if she gets someone who is worse mentally in the final. (E.g. Vesnina) :oh:
Agatha? She's just too prone to being hit off the court on this surface, her serve being specifically vulnerable. She'll probably be confident enough to get her 1st QF appearnace here, but unless she gets Pironkova, Petkovic, Zvonareva or Bartoli then I don't really see her winning it.

Charlatan
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
serena on clay?!? :confused:

rg is wide open. there's no "female nadal" like henin few years ago. both could win rg, but i don't think either will make it.

well, you could never write serena off...in 2009, she lost to the eventual champion in 3 sets and in 2010, she lost to the eventual runner-up in tight 3 sets, both in QFs.

bbjpa
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
Agatha will fail early on some random french player :happy:

Let's say Foretz-Gacon :lol:

sfan
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
Maria should be the favourite to win this year's RG. Azarenka should be the second favourite. Dont see how Radwanska can win it.

Wiggly
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Serena, Maria, Petra and Victoria are all strong contenders.
You never know with Venus or Kim.

Jelena, Ana, Marion and Francesca can all have a surprise run.
Radwanska and Wozniacki can go deep with the right draw.

Li Na is the defending champion.
Then you have a dozen of Russian headcases who can get their sh!t together and peak at the right time.
The Germans can play on clay.

Very, very open.

It could be a magnificient Slam but as usual, all the top contenders will be in the same quarters while some random girls will barely see a seeded player until the QFs stage or something.

mauresmofan
Apr 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Maria should be the favourite to win this year's RG. Azarenka should be the second favourite. Dont see how Radwanska can win it.

Huh????????? Why would Maria be favourite she df's and ue's herself off court on so many occassions and can't win a final anymore it appears!

MaBaker
Apr 4th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Claypova gonna slay :armed:
http://i39.tinypic.com/vgrgbt.gif

Tenis Srbija
Apr 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

stromatolite
Apr 4th, 2012, 10:07 AM

:lol: Can never get enough of gifs like this!

shoparound
Apr 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
That's Li Na's pronunciation of Petra's name :angel: :haha:
:lol: Na

Charlatan
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:12 PM

:crying2:

Linguae^
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I don't really think that either of them can win the French Open, it will be too tough for them, but Maria has even a bigger chance.

sfan
Aug 11th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Huh????????? Why would Maria be favourite she df's and ue's herself off court on so many occassions and can't win a final anymore it appears!

Who's laughing now?

NashaP
Aug 11th, 2012, 05:43 PM
HAHA, love this bump!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m726tsDp5U1rtjju7o2_250.gif

Bye haters, Maria's the new queen of clay now. You can deal.

http://i46.tinypic.com/r23vnr.gif