PDA

View Full Version : stuttgart 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Maria rocks
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:18 PM
Maria's next tournament which she will win of course. On the red stuff. COME ON MARIA:bounce:

nelsondan
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:54 PM
I do not know if this is correct....

April 23 - 29, 2012 Stuttgart, Germany

Seq Player Name Nation Rank
1 F AZARENKA Victoria BLR 1
2 F SHARAPOVA Maria RUS 2
3 F KVITOVA Petra CZE 3
4 F WOZNIACKI Caroline DNK 6
5 F RADWANSKA Agnieszka POL 4
6 F STOSUR Samantha AUS 5
7 F BARTOLI Marion FRA 7
8 F LI Na CHN 8
9 F ZVONAREVA Vera RUS 9
10 F PETKOVIC Andrea DEU 10
11 F SCHIAVONE Francesca ITA 12
12 F LISICKI Sabine DEU 13
13 F JANKOVIC Jelena SRB 15
14 F GÖRGES Julia DEU 17
15 F IVANOVIC Ana SRB 16
16 F CIBULKOVA Dominika SVK 18
17 F PENG Shuai CHN 23
18 F KERBER Angelique DEU 14
19 F PAVLYUCHENKOVA Anastasia RUS 21
20 F HANTUCHOVA Daniela SVK 19

F = Full Member
Q = Qualifier
W = Wild Card

As at 3/19/2012

Shivank17
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:52 AM
:cheer: Maria to make her debut in Stuttgart :cheer:

But aren't you a bit early with it. :unsure:

perseus2006
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know exactly why Pova did so well in the 2011 Clay Court Season. It seems that just a bunch of things came together:

Part of it was, of course, confidence in her improved fitness.

Another part was her improving serve.

Some of it was due to opponents's intimidation and surprise at seeing the Russian Amazon aggressively covering the clay court.

A not insignificant factor was her improving ClayPlay.

And finally, playing with a relaxed, no pressure, no expectations "que sera, sera" attitude.

This year, for her sins, she has the Rome Title and RG Semifinal to defend. Serious stuff! Pressure!

Further, more pressure comes from her personal pursuit of the career slam. Time is running out.

Even more pressure piles up in the prospect of meeting old demons like the WS and Kim and the new demons of Vika, Petra and ARad.

And finally, the pressure of getting a big title after coming so close three times already this year.

Her success on clay this year depends on how she manages these "privledges", as BJK would say. If she uses these pressures as motivation to step it up and play her intense, high octane, ferocious all out game, she could be wildly successful.

If she continues to play a little hesitant, a little reserved, a little safe, a major success will continue to elude her.

Maybe that's what's wrong with her game: and imbalance between "patience" on the one hand and "first strike" on the other.

C'mon, Pova! Head High, Shoulders Back, Tits Up. It's MashaFierce time right now!

18majors
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
Go Maria, be a clay court queen!

vozas
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Some pointers on her clay game:

* Well if she keeps up serving like she has throughout this season (despite some shitty performances in the early rounds in Miami), she'll have a big advantage. Her kick serve has been monstrous (has anyone checked her winning % on the 2nd serve? More often than not it's higher than her first, flat serves :help:), so that's a huge advantage.

* Also, her endurance has looked terrific for the past year (one of the few things that has clearly improved in her game). Long rallies really don't seem to bother her.

* Clay courts are prone to puffballs from lesser servers AKA Generation Suck, and she'll be all over that with even more time than she had during this slow-HC season.

* Her forehand (bar the Miami final :facepalm:) has been quite exceptional, and it was that shot that won her Rome last year, particularly the semi against Wozniacki. It's essential for claycourt tennis 'cause you can't generate that much pace with a BH on a high bouncing ball.

* Speaking of high bounces, she's a big girl. Excessive spin/moonballs/other random junk doesn't seem to bother her much because everything usually ends up in her striking zone (with the appropriate footwork... I repeat, FOOTWORK)

* Finally, the surface DEMANDS patience, and she became more and more aware of it throughout her career.

The surface really helps her, and hopefully she makes the most of it 'cause she can do some serious damage this year IF everything comes together a la Rome 2011.

I would love to see her get used to sliding to her FOREHAND side. She does it perfectly on the defense to her backhand, but I've never seen her slide to the forehand. It would make her FH even more dangerous and hopefully Flopstedt will work on it.

One match at a time, and we'll see how it goes.

slamchamp
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Lets predict how she'll lose in the final:D

dsanders06
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
No offence, but can someone please change the title, it's too boring/messy for it to be the official threadtitle for this tournament :o :p

Anyway, I really hope Maria doesn't withdraw from this tournament.....if she's going to have a chance of winning RG, she really needs LOTS of match practise on the clay as she's still probably not 100% comfortable on it, and Madrid because of the playing conditions always has a ton of upsets, so playing 3 warmups is safest.

Trih
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.porsche-tennis.de/prod/pag/tennis.nsf/resources/homepage12_a/$file/2012-01-02_Startseite.jpg

put this in the first post and make a better title :P :P

perseus2006
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
No offence, but can someone please change the title, it's too boring/messy for it to be the official threadtitle for this tournament :o :p

To get a really good thread title, I think suggestions are required to goad the imagination into gear. A boring title, which most are, isn't so bad, though, when compared to other titles that are just wonkie and wierd, or titles that are obtuse and incomprehenible, or titles that denigrate and abuse the player.

Where other titles have come from: Maja uses song lyrics for inspiration, one poster in another forum uses figures from Greek Mythology and GM is full of thread titles using one perversion or another of player names. A few other thoughts to develop are:

2012 Stuttgart: Scampering on terre battue: for Glory true and redemption, too.

2012 Stuttgart: Images of thundering bovines, looking for spots and red stained sox.

2012 Stuttgart: Das ist nicht blau!

Good luck, Maria Rocks, in finding an "interesting" thread title!

Shivank17
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I agree we need a better title.

Something like:

Stuttgart 2012:Girls,Queen Maria & Finals. :p

Reptilia
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Can we at least have a capital S for Stuttgart? :p

Lachy
Apr 4th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Please use a capital :p I am excited for this tournament. I LOVE the way they introduce the players at this tournament with the blaring music and 'Girls, set and match' whisper voice, and also how they have the big pictures of the players in the background of the match :hysteric: Looking forward to clay season!!

vozas
Apr 4th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Yeah this is my favorite Premier tournament :) great crowd, indoors, quality clay and the field is always delicious.

Mistress of Evil
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Just one small request, let Semipova comeback. I prefer her than the one who is Generation Suck's Bitch and has made the career of every member of it by folding like a tent in every single final. Thank you. :)

perseus2006
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Just one small request, let Semipova comeback. I prefer her than the one who is Generation Suck's Bitch and has made the career of every member of it by folding like a tent in every single final. Thank you. :)

Personally, I think your request sucks...

Steven.
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:40 PM
can we have GSpova back kool thx send her my warmest regards

Steven.
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
ps hi svetlio good to have you back yay.

JamieOwen3
Apr 5th, 2012, 08:45 PM
If Maria plays or dare i say wins this even I'll be like

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj9l8exTkq1qc89x3o1_500.gif

shaktincredible
Apr 6th, 2012, 06:43 AM
MARIA please win ROLAND GARROS NOW :sobbing:

i will forgive all your sin in all of your recent finals i promise

shaktincredible
Apr 6th, 2012, 06:44 AM
i didnt visit tennisforum.com for five days since her lost to Ratwanska

the pain still hurts :hysteric:

jameshazza
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:02 PM
*Subscribes*

On to clay Bitches, get that RG and snatch all those Gen Suck Bitches' wigs along the road, starting here :armed:

KK2009
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Maria was training REALLY hard for this tournament...in DISNEYLAND. LMFAO~

Crux Squall
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Maria was training REALLY hard for this tournament...in DISNEYLAND. LMFAO~

She worked very hard in March, so It's time for her to relax

18majors
Apr 6th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Tiger Woods struggled big time at 2012 Masters, this is a guy for a period of 12 years was considered the best player who has ever played the game. Sports is such a delicate thing.

It makes me appreciate what Maria has achieved since her comeback even more.

Charlatan
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:48 AM
is this how siberian siren is always like when maria ain't playing tournaments?

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/icraveto/Gifs%20Collection/tumblr_lz3xooM7IC1qicxto.gif

what a flop sub-forum, then!!! kind of feel bad for even some lurkers :awww: they have nothing to follow around :(

perseus2006
Apr 7th, 2012, 03:00 AM
What does happen between tournaments? That thing called LIFE!

Be All In on it, live it large with intensity and aggrsssiveness and go for your shots.

ziros
Apr 7th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Tiger Woods struggled big time at 2012 Masters, this is a guy for a period of 12 years was considered the best player who has ever played the game. Sports is such a delicate thing.

It makes me appreciate what Maria has achieved since her comeback even more.
Not really comparing apples with apples,but I get your point all the same

Steven.
Apr 7th, 2012, 06:18 AM
is this how siberian siren is always like when maria ain't playing tournaments?

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/icraveto/Gifs%20Collection/tumblr_lz3xooM7IC1qicxto.gif

what a flop sub-forum, then!!! kind of feel bad for even some lurkers :awww: they have nothing to follow around :(

trust me, we have it good. So many other forums are dead even when their faves are playing, like Kvitova's even.

jameshazza
Apr 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM
trust me, we have it good. So many other forums are dead even when their faves are playing, like Kvitova's even.

True. I would say we have the most active Sub-Forum. Serena Slam has a pretty active chat thread but its a very small number of players talking about everything and anything.

vozas
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Wtf is Maria doing in Disneyland? :happy::happy::facepalm:

Charlatan
Apr 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM

True. I would say we have the most active Sub-Forum. Serena Slam has a pretty active chat thread but its a very small number of players talking about everything and anything.

I was being a little bit provocative (deliberately) when I post that, so that u guys post more to respond to it :p :lol:

but yeah, it's such a bleak atmosphere when you go visit other sub-forums even when their favs are playing, except serena slam, which has a separate chat thread under the forum

it's all good ;)

jameshazza
Apr 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I was being a little bit provocative (deliberately) when I post that, so that u guys post more to respond to it :p :lol:

but yeah, it's such a bleak atmosphere when you go visit other sub-forums even when their favs are playing, except serena slam, which has a separate chat thread under the forum

it's all good ;)

It was quite a shock when I visited other player forums. I mean they don't even have one thread with life in it. When we have the current tourny thread/ Nike collection thread/ Picture thread/ News thread/ Off-topic thread all active :tape:

It's very surprising, you'd think there would be a lot more active ones even to just escape the GM hate.

Craig.
Apr 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
OMG you guys. I dreamt last night that Maria lost 75 60 to ANA IVANOVIC in the Stuttgart final :hysteric: And it felt soooooo real, I was freaking out.

doomsday
Apr 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM
OMG you guys. I dreamt last night that Maria lost 75 60 to ANA IVANOVIC in the Stuttgart final :hysteric: And it felt soooooo real, I was freaking out.

I wouldn't even be surprised if this happen! :haha:

doooma6816
Apr 7th, 2012, 05:06 PM

omg...that actually can happen, both are playing in Stuttgart. :hysteric::lol:

Kitten63
Apr 7th, 2012, 09:00 PM

I would die :hysteric:

jameshazza
Apr 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Masha has to do well in Madrid, or else Muga will likely be #2 :sobbing:

JamieOwen3
Apr 7th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Maria is not that cow on ice that she was in 2007 :oh:

gc-spurs
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:28 AM
It's Bambi time, bitches.

JamieOwen3
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:45 AM
;)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3080/129824872553465.gif (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/145/129824872553465.gif/)

cowsonice
Apr 8th, 2012, 03:16 AM
The real question is: WILL SASHA BE WITH MASHA AGAIN THIS SEASON? :inlove:

domon17th
Apr 8th, 2012, 06:32 AM

:lol: Calm down Craig. Though this streak of losing in finals has really put us on strangely cautious watch:crying2::o

Fighterpova
Apr 8th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Masha has to do well in Madrid, or else Muga will likely be #2 :sobbing:

Aga will be #2 regardless of anything :lol: She is whoring up points from 1000000s of tournaments :lol:

Steven.
Apr 9th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Well, I don't know where to post this, but Maria's birthday is in 10 more days she's gonna be fucking 25. I am so depressed for her. I feel like I'm turning 25 what the fuck. *creys*

Fighterpova
Apr 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
OMG! :hysteric: I had a dream that Maria and Davenport were playing the QFs of Miami, but I think it was like 2014 and the court was a different color than it is now, it was like purple/blue with a silver and neon green net :lol:

Anyway, Davenport beat Maria 6-0 6-0 AGAIN :sobbing: It felt so real :help:

I saw (1) next to Maria's name which means she was the 1st seed and she was wearing a cool dark teal/blue/green dress with a hot pink visor :lol:
Futurepova FTW :oh:

lefty24
Apr 9th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Hopefully! He might still be in Turkey though.

jameshazza
Apr 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Well, In my dream last night me and Masha were covert agents, had bazookas and were tearing corrupt government buildings and fighter jets down. It didn't feel real :hysteric:

lefty24
Apr 9th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I'm so jealous. I wish I had dreams about masha. I think I've only had one dream about her.
BUt it's ok, I had a dream about a hot boy I'm seeing.:oh:

doooma6816
Apr 9th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I'm so jealous. I wish I had dreams about masha. I think I've only had one dream about her.
BUt it's ok, I had a dream about a hot boy I'm seeing.:oh:
Omg me too. :hearts:
I always have dream with Masha before big finals.:lol:

lefty24
Apr 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I really really think Maria should play doubles. I remember she was gonna play with Wickmyer at a random tournament in 2010 but it ended up not working out.
I just think it would be really good for her game.

Qetusi
Apr 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I really really think Maria should play doubles. I remember she was gonna play with Wickmyer at a random tournament in 2010 but it ended up not working out.

Yeah at stanford, but they didn't game them the WC

Charlatan
Apr 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Omg me too. :hearts:
I always have dream with Masha before big finals.:lol:

same here, with masha winning every damn final, of course, "in my dream" :sobbing:

doooma6816
Apr 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
same here, with masha winning every damn final, of course, "in my dream" :sobbing:

I remember a dream before AO final, it was so real and actually I was sure she'd win. :lol: Maybe we should stop dreaming about her winning titles, because she's losing them all lately. :tape:

Charlatan
Apr 9th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I remember a dream before AO final, it was so real and actually I was sure she'd win. :lol: Maybe we should stop dreaming about her winning titles, because she's losing them all lately. :tape:

I dreamed almost every time before her finals: wimbledon last year, AO this year and Miami :p she won all of them :sad:

doooma6816
Apr 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I dreamed almost every time before her finals: wimbledon last year, AO this year and Miami :p she won all of them :sad:

Maybe if we started to dream about her losing these finals, she'd win them all in reality. :D

Advantage Me
Apr 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM

Maybe Maria should team up with Caroline her new BFF. She lost her first round doubles in Copenhagen today!! Mismatched.

lefty24
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Maybe Maria should team up with Caroline her new BFF. She lost her first round doubles in Copenhagen today!! Mismatched.

I was actually seriously thinking about that. They both need it and they both suck at doubles so it could work.

claypova
Apr 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Well, I don't know where to post this, but Maria's birthday is in 10 more days she's gonna be fucking 25. I am so depressed for her. I feel like I'm turning 25 what the fuck. *creys*

omg 25 :spit:
that does NOT sound right.

Craig.
Apr 9th, 2012, 11:48 PM
How...old :sad:

Trih
Apr 10th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I'm turning 28 in 6 months, what can I say?! :sobbing:

lefty24
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:32 AM
I'm turning 18 in a couple of weeks. I feel so young.

Steven.
Apr 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I'm turning 19 in 8 days :oh: still youthful yay. but sigh maria :sobbing:

Shivank17
Apr 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I am turning 16 in June. :oh:

But Maria sooooo old. :sobbing:

Andy.
Apr 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Keep showing off about how young you all are :p (secretly jealous) same age as Masha (24 that is) :facepalm:

Reptilia
Apr 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM
:hug:

JamieOwen3
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM
There are some posters on TF that are 14 and talk like they're 30. Cocky shits. *none on siberian siren obviously* ;)

jameshazza
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Couple of months shy of 18. And God, she's 25. However, that's the age she'd be retiring at had nothing happened shoulder.

claypova
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Couple of months shy of 18. And God, she's 25. However, that's the age she'd be retiring at had nothing happened shoulder.

if nothing happened to the shoulder, she would've been dominating :lol: highly doubt she'd retire at the top of the game :oh: (she's not justine)

doooma6816
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'm turning 18 in November:cool:
Martha is sooo old. haha

Craig.
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM
There are some posters on TF that are 14 and talk like they're 30. Cocky shits. *none on siberian siren obviously* ;)

And vice versa.

shaktincredible
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
i am 25 and i'm old here?? :hysteric:

jameshazza
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM
i am 25 and i'm old here?? :hysteric:
Not here, just in tennis :lol:. The best we can hope for is that this milestone makes Masha realise that she has about 4 years tops to keep at the very top of the game, and stop dicking around in finals. It's possible.

masha122
Apr 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM
can't believe masha will be 25 i still remember wimbledon 2004 :) by the way im 21 :) the best age !!!!!

ziros
Apr 10th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Not here, just in tennis :lol:. The best we can hope for is that this milestone makes Masha realise that she has about 4 years tops to keep at the very top of the game, and stop dicking around in finals. It's possible.
Serena and Venus are 30 and 32 and still playing well

jameshazza
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Serena and Venus are 30 and 32 and still playing well

I know, but particularly concerning Serena her light schedule and several major injury absences helped her longevity. Her level isn't what it used to be, but it doesn't matter really 'cus the tour is weaker. I mean Masha has at least 4 more good years in her, and could stay at the top for longer but the older she gets the harder it'll get.

gc-spurs
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:44 AM
^How many finals can she win in those 4 years? :sobbing:

Steven.
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:55 AM
who cares, I just want her to win a 4th and 5th slam and I won't give a fuck if she fucks around after... She has about 19 slams left to get them. I think it's doable for someone of her caliber. :D yay for optimism

claypova
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:59 AM
all she needs is Stosur in the finals :D

i really do hope she wins the French Open some day :tears:

jameshazza
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:08 AM
who cares, I just want her to win a 4th and 5th slam and I won't give a fuck if she fucks around after... She has about 19 slams left to get them. I think it's doable for someone of her caliber. :D yay for optimism

The point I preach so often. She's gotta win 2 :shrug:
I'd settle for RG obviously but I really would love to see her win Wimbledon again.

Reptilia
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I'd be happy with 4 all up. I just need that RG trophy :awww:

MM_1257
Apr 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM

I hope so.. But you do not want to know what I read when I saw this; instead of with I read a shorter word... :tape::tape::tape::help::tape::oh:
25 is old for ya all? :hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric:

vozas
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I want her to surpass Saint Sin's slam count. Or at least match it. She really deserves it and would've done it if it weren't for that crap injury.

I dunno, of course I want her to achieve a career slam but she really seems to love the AO, which is also my favorite slam. I'd like to see her win another AO and the FO and I'd be fine with her matching Legend's slam count :worship:

Wimbledon ain't what it used to be tbh. That fluke grass is embarrassing. And the 3rd round at Arthur Ashe is Maria's graveyard, so I'm not here for that either.

vozas
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM
By the way, had one of those dreams you guys talk about all the time :sobbing:

Maria beat Serena in the finals at Rome 5-7 7-5 6-0. I remember Lindsay or Tracy Austin was commenting and they said something like "Geez... I don't think I've ever seen anyone produce that much pace off the BH wing. Something's different about Maria this week" after Maria blasts a BH cross court to take the 2nd set.

She fell on her knees after she aced Serena with a huge kick serve wide to the AD court on match-point, just like she does (did :sobbing:) when she wins (won :sobbing:) her slams. It felt scary real.

Of course she'll draw Serena in her quarter and get raped in the QFs, but whatev. Thought I'd share :)

lefty24
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
By the way, had one of those dreams you guys talk about all the time :sobbing:

Maria beat Serena in the finals at Rome 5-7 7-5 6-0. I remember Lindsay or Tracy Austin was commenting and they said something like "Geez... I don't think I've ever seen anyone produce that much pace off the BH wing. Something's different about Maria this week" after Maria blasts a BH cross court to take the 2nd set.

She fell on her knees after she aced Serena with a huge kick serve wide to the AD court on match-point, just like she does (did :sobbing:) when she wins (won :sobbing:) her slams. It felt scary real.

Of course she'll draw Serena in her quarter and get raped in the QFs, but whatev. Thought I'd share :)

So detailed. I really want to have one of these Maria dreams.
But I have a feeling my dream wouldn't be about her tennis. :oh:

MM_1257
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:13 PM
lefty24 :lol:
Ah, we want Maria to win something so much, that a lot of you started to dream about it.

lefty24
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Imagine her reaction if she were to win RG.
I wonder if she'll cry whenever she wins her next slam.

vozas
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty sure she will. The huge issue with Maria nowadays is that deep inside she no longer believes she can win one, no matter how many "you know, that's why the ballboys put the net up every morning so you can compete" and "you know, it's all part of the game, you just go out there and give your best but some days it just isn't enough".

Winning a huge title is vital for her career. She'll get all of her fire back if she does. 2010 really destroyed her attitude on court, starting with that 1st round flameout against Kirilenko.

lefty24
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty sure she will. The huge issue with Maria nowadays is that deep inside she no longer believes she can win one, no matter how many "you know, that's why the ballboys put the net up every morning so you can compete" and "you know, it's all part of the game, you just go out there and give your best but some days it just isn't enough".

Winning a huge title is vital for her career. She'll get all of her fire back if she does. 2010 really destroyed her attitude on court, starting with that 1st round flameout against Kirilenko.

SO GOOD!! :haha: :worship:
haha those quotes are right on.

but I completely agree with you. I think once she finally wins a slam, or even a big non slam tournament, she'll be on fire. She just need to get over this final bug.
I think if she wins one this year or next year, then she'll probably win a couple more. Her confidence will be way up.

Shivank17
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I agree with Vozas.

Her belief that she can win any match no matter what opponent, what surface is diminishing.She needs to win a big matchfinal/tournament to get that confidence back.

jameshazza
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM
That's what I feel. She only needs the one big one. And I can only imagine her reaction if she wins another one. It would make her USO '06 reaction look tame.

MM_1257
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:08 PM
jamesshazza; I do not think so, I think she would react - a lot more mature and is gonna be a lot more dunno, emotional? Anyway, did you have to remnid me? :hysteric: I was imagining her reaction if she won Wimby last year, repeated the same mistake with AO this year. :hysteric: But I really wanna see her reaction after winning a Slam post-injury... :sad:

jameshazza
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:24 PM
It would be arms in air as she falls to her knees, eyes welling up. A look of confused disbelief is written on her face intertwined with ecstatic joy. She walks to the net, looking and smiling at her box. She shakes her opponents hand, then the umpires.

Realisation quickly dawns, and she starts to jump up and down, fists clenched. She falls to her knees once again, rears her head to the sky and the lioness roars. A roar of triumph after all the battles. Every bird in a 10 mile radius flees.

Then she composes herself, sits down. And this is when the true realisation dawns, she's done it. She's proved it to herself. Everything comes flooding back - the doctor's , the surgery, the pain, the waiting, the not-knowing, the R1 losses. The tears start to flow and Masha then delivers one of the best speeches ever. And finished it by dedicating the trophy to us, the fans, for sticking by her and believing in her even though the road was long and winding. But we never game up and neither did she.

domon17th
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Agree on all counts with you guys. It's so funny regarding her advert for Head that she claims her game is about Instinct but she no longer has that killer instinct anymore, least not in the 28740 finals so far :facepalm:

She needs not only confidence, but the killer instinct again to not only go for her shots, but also with controlled aggression. She used to be so good in this during her heydays :sobbing:

domon17th
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:27 PM
It would be arms in air as she falls to her knees, eyes welling up. A look of confused disbelief is written on her face intertwined with ecstatic joy. She walks to the net, looking and smiling at her box. She shakes her opponents hand, then the umpires.

Realisation quickly dawns, and she starts to jump up and down, fists clenched. She falls to her knees once again, rears her head to the sky and the lioness roars. A roar of triumph after all the battles. Every bird in a 10 mile radius flees.

Then she composes herself, sits down. And this is when the true realisation dawns, she's done it. She's proved it to herself. Everything comes flooding back - the doctor's , the surgery, the pain, the waiting, the not-knowing, the R1 losses. The tears start to flow and Masha then delivers one of the best speeches ever. And finished it by dedicating the trophy to us, the fans, for sticking by her and believing in her even though the road was long and winding. But we never game up and neither did she.

OMG *DEAD*
Your posts are always so detailed that they get to me everytime. I don't think it will be THAT dramatic though, probably something that rivals her first slam win in Wimby. Mandatory drop to her knees motion, look for disbelief, shake hands, and run to the stands to hug Sasha (Yea that means next slam is either RG or Wimby :oh:)

vozas
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
She needs a comprehensive win over Azarenka and Serena (not expecting this one to ever happen again, seeing as Jameka apparently tanks the previous round everytime prospects are it'll be more competitive than a beatdown).

Really, 2010 was kind of her fall cometh season. The chokes against Cheatine, Serena (even if she'd go on to lose the match, which was very likely, she really deserved that first set given how she managed to take it to a tiebreak despite Serena's 134 aces), and Clijsters really were tough to swallow and she lost a lot of her drive during that year.

18majors
Apr 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks for great posts, they're great readings!

MM_1257
Apr 11th, 2012, 06:37 PM
oh, and we talk about Slams in a thread about Stuttgart... She hasn't won a MM tourney this year, let alone a Slam. :hysteric:

Qetusi
Apr 11th, 2012, 06:48 PM
oh, and we talk about Slams in a thread about Stuttgart... She hasn't won a MM tourney this year, let alone a Slam. :hysteric:

the only tournament Stosur won last year was USO :lol:

Steven.
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Jameshazza, she's done that before :oh:

It would be arms in air as she falls to her knees, eyes welling up. A look of confused disbelief is written on her face intertwined with ecstatic joy.

http://www.iconicphotogalleries.co.uk/content/thumbnails/00009/00839-mainmedimage.jpghttp://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/att/site1/20060910/xin_5609031010349452104627.jpg

She walks to the net, looking and smiling at her box. She shakes her opponents hand, then the umpires.

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20080604&t=2&i=4633276&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=460&pl=300&r=2008-06-04T003127Z_01_L22375418_RTRUKOP_0_PICTURE0
close enough :oh:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lixtaxNjyB1qa6vzr.gif

claypova
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
2006 celebration was the best :hearts: she was so cute!
2004 was also cute and she was just so shocked!
eh .. 2008 sucked cos the Aussie crowd didn't want her to win :rolleyes:

Steven.
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM

the 2006 one was a bit ott :sobbing: didn't she drop the trophy as well or something? I am still so embarrassed for her.

claypova
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM
the 2006 one was a bit ott :sobbing: didn't she drop the trophy as well or something? I am still so embarrassed for her.

its not embarrasing, its dorky and cute :angel:

Steven.
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM
its not embarrasing, its dorky and cute :angel:

i gotta admit it is her best celebration though, but I just can't at her dropping it :rolls:

I can't believe Stuttgart is still over a week away. Tennis is so boring without Maria... I've been following Copenhagen though and the atmosphere is so shit and all the players are shit.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Thank God the clay season is here :angel::cheer:. She's so gonna kick some ass.

Charlatan
Apr 12th, 2012, 06:10 PM

:lol: that's because there were so many serbian fans in the crowd...and obviously, they were cheering ana louder than ever...

dsanders06
Apr 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM

I don't think it's belief as such - I think, in an abstract sense, she totally believes she has the ability to be winning Slams against the current field and to beat anyone in the game (except maybe Serena).

I think it's just that she wants it too much, she just wants another Slam so bad, and she puts too much pressure on herself. And then because she builds these big matches up to be so life-and-death important in her head, she comes out just full of tension and can't swing freely or think clearly because of it. That's why I think if Sasha is there it might get her to relax a little bit? :unsure:

....which ties into what you guys were saying about her reaction if when she wins another Slam. I honestly think she's going to have a proper Federer-style breakdown after she wins that matchpoint and be in floods of tears :awww:

denny5576
Apr 12th, 2012, 09:20 PM
The huge issue with Maria nowadays is that deep inside she no longer believes she can win one, no matter how many "you know, that's why the ballboys put the net up every morning so you can compete" and "you know, it's all part of the game, you just go out there and give your best but some days it just isn't enough".

Wrong. If Maria does not believe she'll stop playing immediately. Quite on the contrary she firmly believes can win several GS titles and Olympic gold.

jameshazza
Apr 12th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I don't think it's belief as such - I think, in an abstract sense, she totally believes she has the ability to be winning Slams against the current field and to beat anyone in the game (except maybe Serena).

I think it's just that she wants it too much, she just wants another Slam so bad, and she puts too much pressure on herself. And then because she builds these big matches up to be so life-and-death important in her head, she comes out just full of tension and can't swing freely or think clearly because of it. That's why I think if Sasha is there it might get her to relax a little bit? :unsure:

....which ties into what you guys were saying about her reaction if when she wins another Slam. I honestly think she's going to have a proper Federer-style breakdown after she wins that matchpoint and be in floods of tears :awww:

This. You could see how furious she was after AO. Because she put too much pressure on herself, ended up going for crazy ball bashing shots and making shitloads of errors. It wasn't the face of someone who didn't expect to win.

MM_1257
Apr 12th, 2012, 10:24 PM

Agreed on all. Hope Sasha can help, that is, if he comes. But man, Wimbledon last year, I thoguht he would help... Can't. That Wimby is still killing me, even more than this years' AO. :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Craig.
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:03 PM

I would die.

doomsday
Apr 13th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Wrong. If Maria does not believe she'll stop playing immediately. Quite on the contrary she firmly believes can win several GS titles and Olympic gold.

Exactly and after reaching several major finals now it would be weird to think that she doesn't believe in her chances she just need to relax in major finals, she already been there and done that and certainly can do it again.

jameshazza
Apr 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Will the MD be released this day next week or will they wait 'til Sat/Sun.

Shivank17
Apr 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM
^21st April, Saturday I believe.

dsanders06
Apr 14th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I just saw that Maria hasn't bothered to get through to a single semifinal at ANY tournament below Tier 1 level since Stanford in 2010......she's truly the anti-Vulture :hearts:

Though hopefully she changes that in Stuttgart :)

madmax
Apr 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I just saw that Maria hasn't bothered to get through to a single semifinal at ANY tournament below Tier 1 level since Stanford in 2010......she's truly the anti-Vulture :hearts:

Though hopefully she changes that in Stuttgart :)

this...
Stuttgart is my absolute favourite indoor event, so I'm hoping and praying that she will ineed take it seriously this time arround instead of going for a shopping spree like in Paris:lol:

gc-spurs
Apr 14th, 2012, 08:26 AM
:lol: that's because there were so many serbian fans in the crowd...and obviously, they were cheering ana louder than ever...

It was kinda both. Australia has an unnatural love for all things Ana Ivanovic, and Maria was the clear favourite and Melbourne Park loves its underdogs.

JamieOwen3
Apr 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Is Maria playing Madrid? On the blue clay :D

Shivank17
Apr 14th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Thank God the clay season is here :angel::cheer:. She's so gonna kick some ass.

Saying this statement during 2004-2008 would be :spit: :lol:

Change of times. :tears: The worst is slowly becoming the best surface.

Shivank17
Apr 14th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Is Maria playing Madrid? On the blue clay :D

Yes.
Madrid is Premier Mandatory.

Is it official that it will be blue clay? :cheer:

claypova
Apr 14th, 2012, 09:17 AM
why is it blue? :tape:

MM_1257
Apr 14th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Saying this statement during 2004-2008 would be :spit: :lol:

Change of times. :tears: The worst is slowly becoming the best surface.

TBH, do not want to turn this thread into depression, but I am cautious... Will believe it when I see it. She has a huge no. of points to defend. :scared:

As far as the blue clay goes, will it really be blue? YAAAAAAAAAAY! Looking forward to it. We are gonna have smurfy blue players when they step off court. :D

Shivank17
Apr 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
why is it blue? :tape:

The Madrid organizers have been wanting to make it blue for a long long time.But they have received strong opposition from top players. I am not sure if they're finally doing it this year. :unsure:

zigga
Apr 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
The Madrid organizers have been wanting to make it blue for a long long time.But they have received strong opposition from top players. I am not sure if they're finally doing it this year. :unsure:

It is official that this year we will have blue clay in Madrid.
Source: http://www.madrid-open.com/en/la-caja-magica/la-pista-azul/

Shivank17
Apr 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah.Was seeing that now.

3qb1hDEFpQM

JamieOwen3
Apr 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Loving the look of the courts with blue clay.

Shivank17
Apr 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Me too. :hearts:

Its good to have some change.

Reptilia
Apr 14th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Pretty :hearts:

claypova
Apr 14th, 2012, 12:53 PM
why are all courts turning blue?!!?!? :fiery:

i like the red clay courts more :awww:

jameshazza
Apr 14th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Its pretty, but the European Run will seem so wierd with a random blue-clay event. Does it play pretty much the same. Maybe Masha won't suck in Madrid now :cheer:

jameshazza
Apr 14th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Actually the more I think about it the blue clay could be good. The Asian swing should really change their court colours too, might be more interesting then. The main problem since the calendar changed is that there are few tournaments with their own flavour now.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Blue is my favorite color so YAY :cheer:. Can't wait. Hopefully Maria plays Stuttgart, I love this tournament.

18majors
Apr 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Stuttgart will be an interesting tournament for Maria:

1. She will play as a 25 years old for the first time
2. She has ranked No. 2 since February 13, 2012, her comeback since 2009 is complete
3. Her future is an open book and waits for her to fill out

Slampova
Apr 14th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Stuttgart is still another week away :sobbing:

goldlion
Apr 15th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Blue clay still sounds a bit ridiculous for tennis but it may be a nice changeover.

doomsday
Apr 15th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Blue clay still sounds a bit ridiculous for tennis but it may be a nice changeover.

A bit? This is simply ridiculous.

Shivank17
Apr 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Beyond The Baseline ‏ @SI_BTBaseline
Sharapova made finals of AO, IW, & Miami. Seles, Graf, HIngis did too + they ended year No. 1. Then again, they didn't lose all 3 finals.

:sobbing: :facepalm: The last line spoiled the fact. :ras:

doomsday
Apr 16th, 2012, 03:36 PM
U guys just love being hurt:lol:

JamieOwen3
Apr 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Just go listen to Xtina's song and it will be perfect.

jameshazza
Apr 17th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Just realised none of us were meant to be on TF until RG :sobbing: :lol:

Steven.
Apr 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM
RG? :o I could barely make it a week or two without missing seeing Masha oncourt. oh well fed cup is pretty interesting... btw do u guys know if fed cup is gunna be streamed? There's a few players I wanna watch :cheer:

doooma6816
Apr 17th, 2012, 04:29 PM
RG? :o I could barely make it a week or two without missing seeing Masha oncourt. oh well fed cup is pretty interesting... btw do u guys know if fed cup is gunna be streamed? There's a few players I wanna watch :cheer:

every year is, so I guess this year too. ;)

Stonerpova
Apr 19th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Stuttgart will be an interesting tournament for Maria:

1. She will play as a 25 years old for the first time
2. She has ranked No. 2 since February 13, 2012, her comeback since 2009 is complete
3. Her future is an open book and waits for her to fill out

It's not complete for me until she wins another major.

goldlion
Apr 20th, 2012, 05:17 AM
She's doing the best she can, it's just not good enough for a major yet.

Shivank17
Apr 20th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Won't the all star draw be out tomorrow? :cheer:

jameshazza
Apr 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Won't the all star draw be out tomorrow? :cheer:

Yes, finally :sobbing:.
I'm so excited bout this clay court season, although I'm not so sure about what to expect. But anyway I'll stan for Masha on every ball.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Can't believe I'm saying this but there is no other place where I could feel more certain of Maria beating Azarenka than on clay :angel:.

JoPova
Apr 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
First tournament of 25-year-old Pova! :hearts:

Am I the only one who still thinks that she's going to tank Stuttgart? :lol:

claypova
Apr 20th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'm going to not touch tennisforum and forget about tennis for a week, and just check the results next sunday :lol:

so ... GOODLUCK MARIA! :D

Shivank17
Apr 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I'm going to not touch tennisforum and forget about tennis for a week, and just check the results next sunday :lol:

Are you sure you can resist Maria not playing for a week? :angel:

GrandMartha
Apr 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
still no withdrawal. So she's actually playing? :eek:

doomsday
Apr 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM
still no withdrawal. So she's actually playing? :eek:

Why wouldn't she be?

Fighterpova
Apr 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
She could be rusty, but I hope she can reach QF/SF :) Would be nice for a 1st time in Stuttgart :D
Go Masha :cheer:

JoPova
Apr 20th, 2012, 04:25 PM
She could be rusty, but I hope she can reach QF/SF :) Would be nice for a 1st time in Stuttgart :D
Go Masha :cheer:

I expect a tank in the QF against an opponent who cares to win the match as if it's a GS, probably a German! But maybe I'm wrong and she wants to win the title or just reach another final! :lol:

Mistress of Evil
Apr 20th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Lose in the semis, not in the final. Thank you.

lefty24
Apr 20th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Wow I would never be able to do that.
Especially if my username was Claypova!! It's kind of ironic.

slamchamp
Apr 20th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Lose in the semis, not in the final. Thank you.

this:lol:

MiiMo
Apr 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I wanna see moreof this during the clay season this yearhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdax88v7dU&feature=related

jameshazza
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:11 AM
I wanna see moreof this during the clay season this yearhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdax88v7dU&feature=related

Minus the choke I agree :sobbing:

jameshazza
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:12 AM
I honestly don't think she's tanking here, although you never know with her first clay tournament. She's playing here cus Madrid sucks and she sucks even bigger at it, whereas a lot of players have stated the courts in Stuttgart play identical to RG.

Shivank17
Apr 21st, 2012, 07:43 AM

That was amazing from Maria, one of her best clay court matches. :hearts:

But the choke. :mad:

jameshazza
Apr 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
Anyone know what time the draw is at?

claypova
Apr 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM
Are you sure you can resist Maria not playing for a week? :angel:

I don't want to waste my time over worrying about Maria during my exam period :[

Wow I would never be able to do that.
Especially if my username was Claypova!! It's kind of ironic.

BUT i'll be back for French Open, which is the most important!!! :)

JoPova
Apr 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
I don't want to waste my time over worrying about Maria during my exam period :[

I abandoned TF and SS in the past two weeks too. I had a couple of tough exams, so I really needed to focus and study! ;) But now I have a break for a few days! :hearts:

jameshazza
Apr 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM

BUT i'll be back for French Open, which is the most important!!! :)

I know the feeling cus I'll have to do the same, I'll be able to watch Rome fully but by Madrid and Rome I'll probably still watch most of the matches (I'll know for sure when the time comes) but won't be able to spend hours on TF. I've a two week exam break during RG so will be able to watch all them and come on here with plenty of time to study :cheer:

domon17th
Apr 21st, 2012, 01:56 PM

Thanks for this. Probably one of my favourite matches she lost (If that's possible technically :sobbing:) The willingness to execute those dropshots and conventional volleys in one single match, still astounding even today (THAT ONE Serve & volley point she won)! Seems like she brings her variety only exclusively onto clay these days.

jameshazza
Apr 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks for this. Probably one of my favourite matches she lost (If that's possible technically :sobbing:)

I know what you mean, its the same for me along with Rena at Wimbledon just after.

Shivank17
Apr 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM

Oh I can understand that. :hug:

Best of luck for your exams! :yeah:

Kon.
Apr 21st, 2012, 02:42 PM
When is the draw coming out?

Steven.
Apr 21st, 2012, 05:49 PM
apparently Jaja drew La Borz :facepalm: and Domi drew Dani? No clue where people are getting these match up from, probably from people with access to the draw ceremony on twitter but yeah. Pretty interesting match ups so far. It's so easy to get a tough R1 here, I hope Maria will be ok.

Shivank17
Apr 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM
apparently Jaja drew La Borz :facepalm: and Domi drew Dani? No clue where people are getting these match up from, probably from people with access to the draw ceremony on twitter but yeah. Pretty interesting match ups so far. It's so easy to get a tough R1 here, I hope Maria will be ok.

Pushfest Ultimatum. :o :facepalm:

Steven.
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:01 PM
ikr... Jaja used to be so fierce on-court but now she's so boring cuz she's emotionless and can't do anything with the ball anymore... :sad: but I shall continue supporting her :)

Shivank17
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah, slump slump. :o

More match-ups?

Qetusi
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:13 PM
MD

http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/posting/2012/1051/MDS.pdf

Qetusi
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:16 PM
Main Draw

(1)Victoria Azarenka (BLR) v BYE
(wc)Kristina Barrois (GER) v Andrea Petkovic (GER)
Ana Ivanovic (SRB) v (wc)Mona Barthel (GER)
Q v (7)Marion Bartoli (FRA)

(4)Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) v BYE
Q v Q
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Dominika Cibulkova (SVK)
Lucie Safarova (CZE) v (8)Na Li (CHN)

(6)Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v Jelena Jankovic (SRB)
Angelique Kerber (GER) v Roberta Vinci (ITA)
Francesca Schiavone (ITA) v Monica Niculescu (ROU)
(3)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v BYE

(5)Samantha Stosur (AUS) v Shuai Peng (CHN)
Julia Goerges (GER) vAnastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
Q v Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
(2)Maria Sharapova (RUS) v BYE

Steven.
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:16 PM
Maria's projected path:
R1: BYE
R2: Flavia Pennetta (last meeting 2011 USO R3 lost in 3)
QF: Samantha Stosur (last meeting 2011 YEC RR lost in 2)
SF: Petra Kvitova (last meeting 2012 AO SF won in 3)
F: Victoria Azarenka (last meeting 2012 Indian Wells F lost in 2)

:scared:

Fiercepova
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:17 PM
It's time to get revenge on Pennetta :lick:

lefty24
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM
Tough draw.

18majors
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:23 PM
A tough tournament, Maria will be challenged right away without any grace periods.

MM_1257
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:28 PM
:scared: :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::h elp::help::tape:

Steven.
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:31 PM
Maria's projected path:
R1: BYE
R2: Flavia Pennetta (last meeting 2011 USO R3 lost in 3)
QF: Samantha Stosur (last meeting 2011 YEC RR lost in 2)
SF: Petra Kvitova (last meeting 2012 AO SF won in 3)
F: Victoria Azarenka (last meeting 2012 Indian Wells F lost in 2)

:scared:

if not these players,

QF: Julia Goerges - these two always play tough, tight matches
SF: Jankovic/Wozniacki/Kerber - last meetings, tough 3 setters vs. Jankovic/Woz, and lost to Kerber.

it's gunna be tough to get to the final, let alone win the title.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Maria is a good clay court player nowadays considering that in this surface her serve works much better than in others, therefore I have no doubt that she will perform well this week and reach at least the Semis.

Shivank17
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
Well, what do you expect in a tourney like this, the draw had to be tough. :shrug:

And then again, she will be all fired up against Sucketta. :armed:

vozas
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:54 PM
So much for cakewalk draws. She better be prepared from the get go.

It will be VERY satisfying if she beats Pennetta, Stosur, Kvitova and Azarenka. Hall of fame right there, considering the surface and her nemesis Pennetta, who needs to be slaughtered.

doomsday
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM
Maria is a good clay court player nowadays considering that in this surface her serve works much better than in others, therefore I have no doubt that she will perform well this week and reach at least the Semis.

I agree.

Trih
Apr 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM
Looks like a WWE tour.
"Maria Sharapova Revenge Tour 2012" :rocker2:

zigga
Apr 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM
It is a tough draw, but it was expected for Stuttgart. I think Pennetta shouldn't be too difficult no matter what happened last time they played (:sad:) because she is in very bad form lately. And from then on no opponent is easy. She owns Stosur (YEC match did not happen!)so she should defeat her. The rest depends in what kind of clay form Maria and the others are.
Let's hope this years clay court season is as good as last year or even better :cheer:. GL ;)

Craig.
Apr 21st, 2012, 09:26 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think her draw is THAT bad? :unsure:

MM_1257
Apr 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM

Aha. ;)

Fighterpova
Apr 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
At least she wont lose in another final :lol:

Seriously, Pennetta in R2? :help:
Hope she'll be fired up, she NEEDS to beat Pennetta after 2 horrid losses :o

I don't expect she'll beat Sam on clay in Stuttgart, especially considering she might be rusty, but I hope she can make a solid run here.

lefty24
Apr 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM

I don't expect she'll beat Sam on clay in Stuttgart, especially considering she might be rusty, but I hope she can make a solid run here.

Eh I see no reason why she should lose to Sam. Unless she's inured of course.

gc-spurs
Apr 21st, 2012, 10:17 PM

I'm with you.
That Penetta match last year was anomalous, Stosur beat a crippled Maria. Kvitova should be an awesome power-clay match, but I'm not fearing Kvitova here as much as in Australia because her form has been dire since then. Its only the finals that I don't see her winning.

gc-spurs
Apr 21st, 2012, 10:20 PM

Yeah Pennetta in LA doesn't really count...

Fighterpova
Apr 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
^ Yes it does, that loss really hurt :sobbing: I stayed up til like 6am to watch that match and Maria made 16 DFs :facepalm:

She was fighting so hard and lost :(

gc-spurs
Apr 21st, 2012, 11:17 PM
^ Yes it does, that loss really hurt :sobbing: I stayed up til like 6am to watch that match and Maria made 16 DFs :facepalm:

She was fighting so hard and lost :(

2009, one of the first tournaments back from surgery... yeah not really significant.

jameshazza
Apr 21st, 2012, 11:45 PM
She should win in 3 against Flavcangosuckmycockia. All there matches have been in 3, although Flavia is in poor form and Masha will be out for blood either way Masha to win. In QF Masha to dismiss Sam or beat Jules tough. We'll see what happens from then on.

Steven.
Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:47 AM
I'm with you.
That Penetta match last year was anomalous, Stosur beat a crippled Maria. Kvitova should be an awesome power-clay match, but I'm not fearing Kvitova here as much as in Australia because her form has been dire since then. Its only the finals that I don't see her winning.

I can understand your lack of worry against Pennetta and Stosur but not Kvitova. As painful as it is for me to admit this, off HC she is the better player. She's on a 21 match win streak in Europe and she's no slouch on clay either, cause she won Madrid after all. She also should've beaten an in form Li Na at RG but her game just collapsed after being up a set and a break.

I'm sure Maria will reach the SF but after that it's really hard to tell.

madmax
Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
the draw is about as expectedly tough as it can be in this abnormal P470 event, meaning every opponent is dangerous and can beat Maria if she is in crappy form. That said indoor conditions should help her serve and the error count should be lower than usual...

Mistress of Evil
Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Annihilate Stosur & Penetta then lose to Kvitova and I will be more than happy! :) Overall, it could have been worse a QF is a must.

jameshazza
Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know if her first match is on monday or tuesday?

Mistress of Evil
Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Wednesday or Thursday. :shrug: She is starting from round 2 and Penetta vs the one who qualify have to play their match on Tuesday.

gc-spurs
Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
I can understand your lack of worry against Pennetta and Stosur but not Kvitova. As painful as it is for me to admit this, off HC she is the better player. She's on a 21 match win streak in Europe and she's no slouch on clay either, cause she won Madrid after all. She also should've beaten an in form Li Na at RG but her game just collapsed after being up a set and a break.

I'm sure Maria will reach the SF but after that it's really hard to tell.

I just think Kvitova is beatable and I'd give Maria a good chance. That match (of course depending on tournament form) currently I see as a 50/50. Because as great as Kvitova can be, she's prone to her mid game walkabouts. So although she has a superior game to most players, she is still beatable by anyone let alone Maria Sharapova not in a final.

jameshazza
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:11 AM
Wednesday or Thursday. :shrug: She is starting from round 2 and Penetta vs the one who qualify have to play their match on Tuesday.

Thanks, I guess I actually won't see much of Masha this tournament then, I've to stay late in school all week and Stuttgart is an hour ahead :facepalm:

Only chance is if she's last on.

I just think Kvitova is beatable and I'd give Maria a good chance. That match (of course depending on tournament form) currently I see as a 50/50. Because as great as Kvitova can be, she's prone to her mid game walkabouts. So although she has a superior game to most players, she is still beatable by anyone let alone Maria Sharapova not in a final.
This. I think people forget the first set of the AO. Petra can't just blast winners from everywhere when playing Masha due to the heavy ball she gets, and I would argue that Maria is the better rallier.

Clay has the same benefits (more time on ball) and inhibitors (movement) for both players on the surface IMO. If Masha ends up playing her and serves well (actually looking back at AO set 2 & 3 returns well) its gonna be 50/50 even if Petra is in GOAT mode. We can at least predict a good match, I thought it was clear at AO Masha really views Kvitova as the real deal and knows she has to bring it.

Anyway, I hope they play and I hope it's good. With the way Masha plays against Vika and Petra owning Vika, its the only real potential great rivalry the WTA has atm.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
I'll be able to watch her if she reaches the Semis not earlier. Hopefully she does reach the Semis.

MM_1257
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
It is Europe time - Kvitova will turn into KvittyGOAT again. And Maria will really have to peak her form again just like last year. This is the most difficult part of the season, she has to be ready physically and mentally!! I see 3 big threats (Azarenka not included) - Kvitova, Radwanska and the pressure of deffending so many points. Fasten your seatbelts people! :scared:

Andy.
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Tough draw! I really want her to pummel Pennetta. No way Masha is going to let her get three in a row.

madmax
Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
This. I think people forget the first set of the AO. Petra can't just blast winners from everywhere when playing Masha due to the heavy ball she gets, and I would argue that Maria is the better rallier.

Clay has the same benefits (more time on ball) and inhibitors (movement) for both players on the surface IMO. If Masha ends up playing her and serves well (actually looking back at AO set 2 & 3 returns well) its gonna be 50/50 even if Petra is in GOAT mode. We can at least predict a good match, I thought it was clear at AO Masha really views Kvitova as the real deal and knows she has to bring it.

Anyway, I hope they play and I hope it's good. With the way Masha plays against Vika and Petra owning Vika, its the only real potential great rivalry the WTA has atm.

exactly.
GM morons are fixated on the speed of the groundies, but the more important factor is the heaviness of the ball, where no one is equal to Maria. She literally pushes every single opponent off the court wqith every single stroke of hers. It takes amazing defender like Radwanska just to return most of her strokes and hope for Maria's errors. I still don't buy into Kvitty hype and Maria is the fave against her everywhere but on grass, untill proven otherwise

claypova
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
oops, Russia lost in fedcup..

:help:

Fighterpova
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Queen Masha abandoned her team :oh: If she played for FC, I would had to cheer for her and not for JJ and Ana :sobbing:

But I'm happy we're in the final :D

JoPova
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Tough draw! Pennetta as Maria's first match on clay after last year's RG! :help: No matter how much Flavia is slumping at the moment.. I expect her to bring her best and do everything she can to win this! All of their matches have been tight three-setters after all! And I'm speechless at the fact that Radwanska has the easiest quarter once again!

Qetusi
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
oops, Russia lost in fedcup..

:help:

Yeah it was very difficult for Russia to win without Masha.... Anastasia and Sveta can't play their best, MaKiri got injured in practise , so it was logical lose ...

JoPova
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah it was very difficult for Russia to win without Masha.... Anastasia and Sveta can't play their best, MaKiri got injured in practise , so it was logical lose ...

And slumpin/injured Vera! :help:

MM_1257
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:28 PM
This was the weakest team that Russia has ever had in Fed Cup. I just hope people won't be too hard on Sveta. And... I am afraid that the Russian tennis is slumping in general, if new good youngsters do not appear soon.

Qetusi
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Queen Masha abandoned her team :oh: If she played for FC, I would had to cheer for her and not for JJ and Ana :sobbing:

But I'm happy we're in the final :D

She did and russians are disappointed about it , because Masha never helps team when they really need it
past years there were in form Sveta, Chaki, Lena D, Vera , Dinara, Petrova and they could win easily without Masha , today everything is different

But what we can do? Masha doesn't care about this Fed Cup :lol: and playes it because of OG

Shafanovic.
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
I didn't know if I wanted Russia or Serbia to win, on one hand I was hoping that if Russia made it, Maria would play the final and she plays the winning match and they all come up to her to celebrate. But on the other hand JJ was on the other team :sobbing:

Anyway, glad Serbia won it, don't think Maria would've played the final anyway :shrug:

jameshazza
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Well all the shit Masha got from those Russian peasants probably still plays a part in why she only plays FC to qualify for OG. I still hope she turns up next time they make the final for the glory though.

MM_1257
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Oh, I do believe that mud will be thrown at Masha for not playing, and to be honest why blame the people? We cannot use excuses. She just simply does not wanna play. And people have the right to be angry, too.
And I really do not think that Maria will care more about FC in the upcoming years. And I can easily see Russian tennis enter in crisis.

Shafanovic.
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
And they stated from the beginning of the year Maria is gonna play the QF, Sveta the SF and maybe both for the F

Shivank17
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Didn't Sveta play the QFs as well? :scratch:

Shafanovic.
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Oh sorry, yeah she did, maybe it was Vera. I really don't remember.

Qetusi
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Oh sorry, yeah she did, maybe it was Vera. I really don't remember.

yeah, but she is injured..... MaKiri too ... bad luck for russia as well

TrollPova
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Flavia Pennetta had to withdraw from her Fed Cup match with a wrist injury, so I think there's a good chance she won't play next week in Stuttgart, which would obviously be good for Maria who would probably play either a qualifier or a lucky loser. Honestly I'm much happier with Maria's half than the top half. She can definitely beat Stosur (that Tour Championship match doesn't count since Maria was injured). I would like to see her play Kvitova on clay and think that would be a really great, high quality match. Playing Azarenka or Radwanska in the final (one of them will probably reach the final from the top half, unless Bartoli beats Azarenka again) would be a little discouraging, but I think Maria has a much better chance beating Azarenka on clay. I also don't see her losing to Radwanska again any time soon.

That being said, is Maria really going to play Madrid and Rome after this tournament?? I really don't see her playing so many tournaments before the French Open, but I guess it depends on how she does this week. If she has a great run in Stuttgart she may skip Rome since she won't have to worry as much about losing points there. Madrid has so many points up for grabs and its a premier mandatory event so I guess she'll definitely play there regardless of this week.

jameshazza
Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
Flavia Pennetta had to withdraw from her Fed Cup match with a wrist injury, so I think there's a good chance she won't play next week in Stuttgart, which would obviously be good for Maria who would probably play either a qualifier or a lucky loser. Honestly I'm much happier with Maria's half than the top half. She can definitely beat Stosur (that Tour Championship match doesn't count since Maria was injured). I would like to see her play Kvitova on clay and think that would be a really great, high quality match. Playing Azarenka or Radwanska in the final (one of them will probably reach the final from the top half, unless Bartoli beats Azarenka again) would be a little discouraging, but I think Maria has a much better chance beating Azarenka on clay. I also don't see her losing to Radwanska again any time soon.

That being said, is Maria really going to play Madrid and Rome after this tournament?? I really don't see her playing so many tournaments before the French Open, but I guess it depends on how she does this week. If she has a great run in Stuttgart she may skip Rome since she won't have to worry as much about losing points there. Madrid has so many points up for grabs and its a premier mandatory event so I guess she'll definitely play there regardless of this week.

After last year's clay season I think Masha wanted to go all out this year for RG. She probably felt if she had have had a couple more matches on clay..., she doesn't really care bout the points defense that much IMO. Also, Stuttgart supposedly plays identical to RG and Rome is similar to it also, Madrid courts and the whole tournament itself is just a mess, and Masha plays like an even bigger mess when she's there.

Qetusi
Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
sad that Russia didn't make it to the final, but still happy for ana and jj...but i almost forgot maria might play for the final for her team...anyway, i hope they don't throw shit at maria for this loss
as much as i find this draw tough at stuggart, i love it as she always fancies her challenges

they do :lol:
they always do ...........

Shivank17
Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Even if Pennetta plays, the Qualifying field is quite impressive, so you can't overlook the qualifier. :angel:

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Maria holding the RG trophy would be :hysteric::sobbing:. Hopefully she'll do it someday during her career :angel::sobbing:.

TrollPova
Apr 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Even if Pennetta plays, the Qualifying field is quite impressive, so you can't overlook the qualifier. :angel:

This is very true. Benesova, Arn, Chakvetadze are definitely great players. I'm really happy to see Anna back and hope she finds her way back up the rankings! I love some great comeback stories.

18majors
Apr 22nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Maria holding the RG trophy would be :hysteric::sobbing:. Hopefully she'll do it someday during her career :angel::sobbing:.

Better sooner than later!

killerqueen
Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
It'd be a shame if Pennetta did pull out. I don't care what anyone else says - I want revenge, and I want it now! :p

Seriously though, the Stuttgart draw could have been a lot tougher for Maria. Most of the other leading players face a big test in Round 2 and on some occasions 1, while Pennetta is injured and has sucked this year. I'm actually so excited for this tournament to start - the draw is just awesome with so many good matched lines up! :)

goldlion
Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:55 PM
Love Stuggart, would be an interesting experience for Maria for the first time playing in Germany Indoor Red Clay

18majors
Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
Love Stuggart, would be an interesting experience for Maria for the first time playing in Germany Indoor Red Clay

Maria is serious, will play 3 clay tournaments before Roland Garros.

lefty24
Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:30 AM
Maria might/should tank Madrid if she does well here. I wish Rome was mandatory instead.

claypova
Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Maria might/should tank Madrid if she does well here. I wish Rome was mandatory instead.

why? :confused:

the more points the better, since she's defending about 1900 points :sobbing:

lefty24
Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:02 AM
why? :confused:

the more points the better, since she's defending about 1900 points :sobbing:

I just think it such a pointless tournament. And I don't want her to get tired for RG.
Plus she never does well.

dsanders06
Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:21 AM
Hoping for the best, but expecting a loss to Goerges in the Quarters :o I was hoping for a kinder draw than that up until the Semis because I don't think one match is going to be enough to get her grooved for a match against an inform Goerges.

TrollPova
Apr 23rd, 2012, 03:09 AM
Hoping for the best, but expecting a loss to Goerges in the Quarters :o I was hoping for a kinder draw than that up until the Semis because I don't think one match is going to be enough to get her grooved for a match against an inform Goerges.

Her matches with Goerges have always been tight and high quality. This is a very tough draw for everyone, so it will be interesting to see who survives to the final 8. Thinking Sharapova/Stosur

Craig.
Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:04 AM
As much as I hate Madrid, there's no reason for Maria to ''tank'' a Premier Mandatory.

Steven.
Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:19 AM
you guys talking about Maria tanking :rolleyes: if she's playing well, her game transcends surfaces. She has good chances to win any tournament she enters imo

jameshazza
Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:32 AM
I'm not sure whether Goerges can replicate her form from last years clay season, I know she'll probably be all pumped cus she won last year but she's had a couple of WTF random losses already.

Considering that the points come off a week early I really want Me recently sharia to do well there. Plus with the spin on her serve recently she might suck less there, but either way the more matches she plays the quicker everythin will fall into place on a consistent basis. Her schedule doesn't really affect her in term of fitness for RG.

lefty24
Apr 23rd, 2012, 05:07 AM
I think Julia is gonna be hard, but I still think Maria will win in two. Julia has been sick for awhile now. But who knows, she might play lights out against Marka, cause players seem to love doing that.

Lachy
Apr 23rd, 2012, 05:13 AM
After watching Julia play Garbagesova just the other day I would hardly say that I'm worried :spit: Absolutely atrocious form really. But I am well aware that she comes to play 'lights-out' tennis whenever she is up against Maria :lol:

jameshazza
Apr 23rd, 2012, 05:29 AM
Well, I'm still pretty confident Julia can get past Pavs but not Stosur. I want that H2H restored :armed:

vozas
Apr 23rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Regarding her schedule, I really don't think playing 3 clay warm-ups will affect her RG campaign. She'll have a full week to rest before.

I do worry about Rome though, cause she'll have to play that back-to-back with Madrid. But I don't think she really gives a shit about that faux-mandatory and her focus will be on Rome, so an early loss/tank in Madrid wouldn't shock me. Rome is one of my favorite tournaments of the year and I really want her to do well there. Plus it plays very much like RG and to me is THE warm-up tournament of the clay season.

Steven.
Apr 23rd, 2012, 08:52 AM
apparently Kvitova isn't playing too well either, despite straight sets victory in Fed Cup, neither is Goerges and Pennetta is injured. Stosur just might be the biggest obstacle for another final for Masha.

Reptilia
Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
After watching Julia play Garbagesova just the other day I would hardly say that I'm worried :spit: Absolutely atrocious form really. But I am well aware that she comes to play 'lights-out' tennis whenever she is up against Maria :lol:

:lol: Love her, but this.

MM_1257
Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Oh let's wait to see where her form is anyway. It is not like she was playing so good in Miami. ;)

vozas
Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Ugh she just needs to win a final... If she goes 0-4 this year so help me god :facepalm:

TrollPova
Apr 23rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Regarding her schedule, I really don't think playing 3 clay warm-ups will affect her RG campaign. She'll have a full week to rest before.

I do worry about Rome though, cause she'll have to play that back-to-back with Madrid. But I don't think she really gives a shit about that faux-mandatory and her focus will be on Rome, so an early loss/tank in Madrid wouldn't shock me. Rome is one of my favorite tournaments of the year and I really want her to do well there. Plus it plays very much like RG and to me is THE warm-up tournament of the clay season.

Agree with all of this. And if she plays really well in Madrid and advances to the quarters or semis she'll have earned enough points that not defending her title in Rome wouldn't be too detrimental. I agree that Rome is much more important and a better tournament overall, and I'm excited to see how she plays this week. I probably think about points more than Maria does haha

Shivank17
Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
So Pennetta withdrew(as per someone on GM.)

Shivank17
Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
And Greta Arn qualified. :oh: :scared: