PDA

View Full Version : Interesting:The last 11 "big events" have decided by one the new big 4(+Serena)

MakarovaFan
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:20 PM
1.Azarenka
2.Sharapova
3Kvitova
4.Radwanska
+Serena Williams:

2011 Wimbledon F-Kvitova d Sharapova( Kvitova,Sharapova and Azarenka in SF)
2011 Toronto F- S.Williams d Stosur(with Serena, Azarenka and A.Radwanska in SF)
2011 Cincinatti-Sharapova d Jankovic
2011 US Open- Stosur d S.Williams
2011 Tokyo- A.Radwanska d Zvonareva( A.Radwanska,Azarenka and Kvitova in SF)
2011 Beijing- A.Radwanska d Petkovic
2011 Championships- Kvitova d Azarenka
2012 Australian Open-Azarenka d Sharapova( Azarenka,Sharapova and Kvitova in SF)
2012 Doha- Azarenka d Stosur( Azarenka and A.Radwanska in SF)
2012 Indian Wells-Azarenka d Sharapova
2012 Miami- A.Radwanska d Sharapova

That's 16/22 Final 's Spots and 23/44 last SF's spots contested between these 5 players. And if you go further back 3 of the 4 big events before that were also contested between these girls( Miami 2011-Vika/Maria;Madrid 2011-Kvitova/Vika;Rome 2011-Maria)

The quality may be questionable, the personalities may be off putting but there is no denying that it seems we are finally getting an elite group of CONSISTENT top players that are dominating the tour.........

Shivank17
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Finally some consistency in the WTA. :cheer:

SAISAI-GOAT
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
:yawn:

need some other players in there :sobbing:

Si_Hi
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:46 PM
sam's name appeared three times on that list, too

duhcity
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM
People will never be happy so as long as their faves are not part of that list

Patrick345
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM
sam's name appeared three times on that list, too

Was about to say given that Stosur´s name is on that list three times, maybe should throw her in as well. :lol:

I also think Petkovic is an Azarenka light version in the making. If she fully recovers from her back injury and ever gets over her mental problems in big matches, she´ll make at least the top 5 and some Slam semis one day.

TennisFan66
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:56 PM
Finally some consistency in the WTA. :cheer:

There was lots of consistency in 2H 2010 - 1H 2011 with Kim and Caro sharing 90% or more of wins. Did you also celebrate the consistency in that period or is the celebration of consistency really more an issue of your own fave making finals?

Edit and a PS. Sam Stosur won USO and made F in Toronto, Doha, but isn't mentioned .. Biased much? Dubai isn't listed.

MakarovaFan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:04 AM
There was lots of consistency in 2H 2010 - 1H 2011 with Kim and Caro sharing 90% or more of wins. Did you also celebrate the consistency in that period or is the celebration of consistency really more an issue of your own fave making finals?

Edit and a PS. Sam Stosur won USO and made F in Toronto, Doha, but isn't mentioned .. Biased much? Dubai isn't listed.
Here's another bone.... Sam also made the SF in the SEC;) .
BUT, Sam Stosur hasn't made it past the 3rd....THIRD ROUND of any of the last 4 majors outside of her USO win!!!! So yes, there was all the reason in the world not to include her with that group. Oh and go ahead and add Dubai, i mean it only further adds to my claim seeing as one of those 4 girls won it, lol.

And fyi Caro didn't play a single GS Final and Kim was very much a part time player not to mention that 2H 2010-1H 2011 wasn't even a full years worth of "dominance":rolleyes:, so my point is very much validated. Kim had all the makings of a dominant force but wasn't around enough and Caro wasn't even contesting for the Slams so it's hard to call their 7 month reign anything close to a "Big 2" worthy of celebration.

Stonerpova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:12 AM
Nice to see. It would be even nicer if Maria could win one of those.

SwingVolley93
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:24 AM
All I see is d Sharapova :oh:

longtin23
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
HAHA You intensionally miss RG 2011

danieln1
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM

Na or another Golden Flower :angel:

MakarovaFan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:52 AM
HAHA You intensionally miss RG 2011
RG 2011 didn't take place AFTER Wimbledon 2011 so i didn't intentionally miss anything:confused:.

tennisphilia
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:53 AM
Where's Caroline Wozniacki? Wasn't she the WTA top gun as late as January this year?

tennis-insomniac
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:54 AM
SamSam has been consistently in the tier 1 or higher finals too (Rome, Toronto, US Open, Doha), and won one that matters most :clap2:

Plus, in 2011, Azarenka beat Sharapova in Miami, Sharapova beat Stosur in Rome, and Kvitova beat Azarenka in Madrid, so WTA has got more consistency.

Wozniacki, Bartoli, Li can make it in the big finals too, and I hope some new players like Kerber, Liscki :help: will break through..and there are old timers like Serena , Venus, and Clijsters who are ready to snatch some wigs anytime.

But it's nice to see top players who regularly play and reach finals in big tournaments.

MakarovaFan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
Where's Caroline Wozniacki? Wasn't she the WTA top gun as late as January this year?
Well in the last 52 weeks how many "big" Finals has Caroline even contested for......:confused:, i don't think i single one.

Shivank17
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:40 AM

If you call a wannabe whoring up all the MMs and other tournaments and a part-timer winning the majors consistency, way to go. :hatoff:

And how many Grand Slam Finals did Princess Karolina make during 2010-2011 that you call her 'dominant'? :rolleyes:

tennisforadults
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:53 AM
Here's another bone.... Sam also made the SF in the SEC;) .
BUT, Sam Stosur hasn't made it past the 3rd....THIRD ROUND of any of the last 4 majors outside of her USO win!!!! So yes, there was all the reason in the world not to include her with that group. Oh and go ahead and add Dubai, i mean it only further adds to my claim seeing as one of those 4 girls won it, lol.

If you want to add Serena as no. 5 (who made 2 appearances on your list), I don't see why Sam can't be no. 6 (with 3-4 mentions). Double standards?

MakarovaFan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
If you want to add Serena as no. 5 (who made 2 appearances on your list), I don't see why Sam can't be no. 6 (with 3-4 mentions). Double standards?
SMH, that's a fail on so many levels but i'll start with:
-The whole point is that there is a main theme of the current top 4 women pretty much dominating EVERY big event lately

-Sam's last 5 GS results: 3rd-3rd-2rd-W-1rd :confused: Im sorrry but if THAT is what you are doing in the Slams then you are not "big" anything. Yes Stosur is 5 in the world for a reason and i think she is quite underrated BUT her Slams results are laughable(very "fluke" looking) and it isn't like Sam is snatching PM's left and right either.

-If you actually noticed Serena was an addition to the "big 4", meaning NOT A PART OF THEM; her results(prior to the last 2 big events) were quite strong and seeing as she clearly dominated the summer swing last year, it was pretty hard to just skip over her name , thus the "addition" of Serena.

gulzhan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:04 PM

+1 :tape: :lol:

I don't think there is Big 4 in WTA right now, at least not in the sense of ATP :shrug:

LoveMeansZero
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
I don't think there is Big 4 in WTA right now, at least not in the sense of ATP :shrug:

Not even close.

MakarovaFan
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
+1 :tape: :lol:

SMH, you people never fail.......Cosidering the top 3/4 players have contested EVERY big event in the last 8 months YES there is a big 4; ofcourse it's not in the sense of the ATP but i mean since when has comparing the men's tour with the women's ever been accurate???

doomsday
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:19 PM

1 Miami title and your head is already that big :facepalm:

Utterchaos
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:40 PM

There was a lot of consistency in 2010-2011, The world #1 consistently failed to reach a slam final.

MB.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
This is a good thread, and I think spot on. Thanks for putting the list together.

Definitely shows how the WTA is forming into some-sort of consistent hierarchy of young, but strong performers. Bodes well for the future of the WTA when you have players like Vika, Aga, Petra, and to another degree, Caro, are again and again lifting trophies and playing these big matches.

MakarovaFan
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Charlatan
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:47 PM
nice thread and nice bump

Simugna Help
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I still think Stosur should be in this elite group, since she has USO, finals in Doha and Toronto. I'd say at the moment we have a group of elite 6 players (Vika, Maria, Petra, Agatha, Sam, Serena). Sadly, most of rivalries in that group are lob-sided, but you can safely rely on those 6 players to beat anyone outside that group and getting deep in tournaments. The fact that that group holds 3GS trophies, YEC and all tier 1s (everything prestigious except FO) speaks for itself.

rnwerner
Apr 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM
2012 is such a good year,
compared to 2010 and 2011.

There were three consistent player at the top,
they were in all finals of the "1000" and GS events.
AO: Azarenka d. Sharapova
IW: Azarenka d. Sharapova
MI: Radwanska d. Sharapova

Radwanska won Dubai as well,
Azarenka won Sydney and Doha as well.

And now, there is the final between Azarenka and Sharapova again.

FINALLY, we have rivalries!

Azarenka and Sharapova will play for the 3rd time this year, tomorrow. All in finals.

Azarenka and Radwanska played 5 times against each other, and there was Tokyo 2011 as well, where Radwanska won.

Kvitova and Sharapova played 2 times against each other, but there were matches in late 2011 as well, + Wimbledon Final.

Serena and Stosur played 2 times against each other plus 3 matches in late 2011, Serena dominating, just loss the USO final.

Azarenka - Kvitova was the final at last year's CHAMPIONSSHIP in Istanbul. This year, the draws didn't let them play each other because Kvitova lost earlier (two times in SF against Sharapova.)
But we will see more Azarenka - Kvitova matches this year (on clay and on grass f.e.)

Azarenka - Barthel:
They played four times against each other and we saw that Barthel was two times on the same level.
Good to see the development of a player against number 1.

Kerber - Wozniacki:
Two times, Kerber won both matches.
In the last years Wozniacki didn't have such good opponents early in the tournament (Stuttgart) or at Kopenhagen (in final.)

BUT: Na Li and Kvitova are disappointing so far,
Zwonareva and Pavlyuchenkova enourmously disappointing.

But: The finals and semifinals are better than last year, the elite players are more consistent.

Madrid, Rome and FO will be interesting.

sweetadri06
Apr 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Add to that Vika and Serena played twice at the end of last year as well. I'd really like to see the match-up again and finally a rematch with Kvitova/Serena.

Cp6uja
Apr 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM
1.Azarenka
2.Sharapova
3Kvitova
4.Radwanska
+Serena Williams:

2011 Wimbledon F-Kvitova d Sharapova( Kvitova,Sharapova and Azarenka in SF)
2011 Toronto F- S.Williams d Stosur(with Serena, Azarenka and A.Radwanska in SF)
2011 Cincinatti-Sharapova d Jankovic
2011 US Open- Stosur d S.Williams
2011 Tokyo- A.Radwanska d Zvonareva( A.Radwanska,Azarenka and Kvitova in SF)
2011 Beijing- A.Radwanska d Petkovic
2011 Championships- Kvitova d Azarenka
2012 Australian Open-Azarenka d Sharapova( Azarenka,Sharapova and Kvitova in SF)
2012 Doha- Azarenka d Stosur( Azarenka and A.Radwanska in SF)
2012 Indian Wells-Azarenka d Sharapova
2012 Miami- A.Radwanska d Sharapova

That's 16/22 Final 's Spots and 23/44 last SF's spots contested between these 5 players. And if you go further back 3 of the 4 big events before that were also contested between these girls( Miami 2011-Vika/Maria;Madrid 2011-Kvitova/Vika;Rome 2011-Maria)

The quality may be questionable, the personalities may be off putting but there is no denying that it seems we are finally getting an elite group of CONSISTENT top players that are dominating the tour.........There is one name which also very deserved to be mentioned here :shrug:

Vikapower
Apr 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I still think Stosur should be in this elite group, since she has USO, finals in Doha and Toronto. I'd say at the moment we have a group of elite 6 players (Vika, Maria, Petra, Agatha, Sam, Serena). Sadly, most of rivalries in that group are lob-sided, but you can safely rely on those 6 players to beat anyone outside that group and getting deep in tournaments. The fact that that group holds 3GS trophies, YEC and all tier 1s (everything prestigious except FO) speaks for itself.

Yep. :worship: Especially for the last part.

I tend to believe more and more that RG will not be as opened as in the previous years.

I think we can "safely" say the 2012 champion will be between Victoria, Petra, Aga, Maria, Stosur and/eventually Serena to a lesser extent.

Kworb
Apr 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM

This :sad:

goldenlox
Apr 28th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Big events? USO is a lot bigger than Cincy, Toronto.
Big events this year are all to Vika & Aga.
Petra, Maria, Sam & Caroline havent won a title this year

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 28th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I actually like this. All we need is maybe Maria and Vika playing competitive matches, with Maria maybe winning a few(so it can be an ACTUAL rivalry) plus Vika finally beating Petra, assuming Petra will continue to be able to consistently reach her in the tournaments she enters. Oh, and of course The Queen repeating her 2002-2003 starting with RG in a few weeks :oh:

MakarovaFan
Apr 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Big events? USO is a lot bigger than Cincy, Toronto.
Big events this year are all to Vika & Aga.
Petra, Maria, Sam & Caroline havent won a title this year
Lmao uh they were never in the convo :confused:
And the point was yes Maria and Petra haven't WON any but they are contesting them(and that was the entire point of this thread,which you look to have not gotten)

cescsas
Apr 28th, 2012, 10:30 PM
It's good to see the full time players getting the plaudits they deserve rather than the part time old guard turning up when they need a top up of their off-shore swiss bank account

Simugna Help
Apr 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM
And the point was yes Maria and Petra haven't WON any but they are contesting them(and that was the entire point of this thread,which you look to have not gotten)
Sam should be considered "in the convo", She's the reigning USO champion, RU in finalist in 3 tier 1s and semifinalist in YEC. So a GS trophy and deep runs in four prestigious events IS a big deal (reflected by her #5 ranking).

goldenlox
Apr 28th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Stop it! Petra is contesting big events? Not USO, IW, Miami.
Wozniacki just beat Serena in Miami.

There's nobody dominating or deciding "big events", unless you mean Vika & Aga in 2012
We just had 5 different slam winners.

Sir Stefwhit
Apr 29th, 2012, 01:47 AM

I think it's hilarious when people get mad at a threadstarter for not creating a thread the way they would. Had all the time in the world to make your own thread, this threadstarter made a certain observation, found it worthy of note, and creating a rather interesting thread.

It's great to have discussions over some omissions here and there, but why attack the poor sap?

ivanban
Apr 29th, 2012, 09:20 AM

There's nobody dominating or deciding "big events", unless you mean Vika & Aga in 2012

THIS!

tejmeglekvár
Apr 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
WTA has no depth.

traralgon
Apr 29th, 2012, 10:13 AM
They are like the big four in the men's game with Radwanska being Andy Murray. Le's hope they will soon be joined by Kerber, Barthel, McHale and Robson.

adner
Apr 29th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Stosur won USO? Great, but Kvitova's titles are still much more impressive(Wimbledon, YEC, Madrid).

Sombrerero loco
Apr 29th, 2012, 10:37 AM
we need aga to win a slam :)

Lysias
Apr 29th, 2012, 10:58 AM
But Madrid, Wimbledon and YEC.:bigwave:

As if beating an out-of-form Serena is an great achievement. Surely you also consider Makarova as an elite player, right?:rolls:

Shonami Slam
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:03 AM
the year so far in point distribution has shown the force of the top, but a stable top 15-20 is still light years away. think of conchi, farina elia, shaugnessy, maleeva, smashnova - they were in the top 20 bracket for years, and those are all from the top of my head.

longtin23
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Australian Open and Roland Garros 2011 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Cincy or Doha or Montreal!?

goldenlox
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM
But Madrid, Wimbledon and YEC.:bigwave:

As if beating an out-of-form Serena is an great achievement. Surely you also consider Makarova as an elite player, right?:rolls:
I would say beating Serena at Miami had a big effect on that Mandatory.
Petra hasnt made a run at an important event in 2012, besides beating Errani at the AO.
Then losing to Maria who got her butt kicked in the final.

Big events? There's 5 different slam winners since 2010 ended

Vuvurenka
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Maria, Vika and Aga have done well at the big tournaments this year, and Serena has shown that she can still hang with the youngsters, so I wouldn't say this observation is totally off. Now we just need Petra to do better at the major tournaments and slams.

I'm actually enjoying the WTA's new Big 4 rivalry + Serena's renaissance, and the major spoilers such as Sam, Marion and Kerber.

Lord Choc Ice
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:44 AM
lol @ Aga in a big 4 :lol:.

Matt01
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM
As if beating an out-of-form Serena is an great achievement.

She won Charleston one week later in convincing fashion :wavey:

Matt01
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM
lol @ Aga in a big 4 :lol:.

:shrug:

rockstar
Apr 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
i'd obviously put stosur ahead of serena.... lame list excluding her

Simugna Help
Apr 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM
If we assign points only for appearing in SF or higher at T1, GS or YEC the ranking would be:
1. Vika - 7180
2. Martha - 6900
3. Petra - 5795
4. Sam - 4390
5. Agatha - 3690
6. NaNa - 2845
7. Serena - 2300
8. Caro - 1745
8. Marion - 1745
10. Schiavonne - 1400

StoneRose
Apr 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM
i'd obviously put stosur ahead of serena.... lame list excluding her
Sam should have been included at least. With her included i can agree with OP.

gc-spurs
Apr 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
See, like people have been saying all along- the WTA will be saved when Woz is banished from the elite!
That said I'd rather rays of Sunshine than Agatha in this 'big 4', but hey can't complain too much about this new dominance over scrubs in the tour.

MakarovaFan
Apr 29th, 2012, 05:26 PM

I love how people change MY THREAD!!!! Im pretty sure my OP said the last 11 major events(not Jan 2012 until now)...please learn to read and comprehend

Clearly the rankings don't just reflect 2012, they reflect the past 52 weeks.....and in the past 52 weeks those 4 players(plus Serena and Sam occasionally) have won or decided EVERY big event...i mean it really isn't that hard to see:confused:

MakarovaFan
Apr 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I think it's hilarious when people get mad at a threadstarter for not creating a thread the way they would. Had all the time in the world to make your own thread, this threadstarter made a certain observation, found it worthy of note, and creating a rather interesting thread.

It's great to have discussions over some omissions here and there, but why attack the poor sap?
This...it's like people around here are lost in their own thoughts