PDA

View Full Version : Former football great Giorgio Chinaglia dead at 65

miffedmax
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM
The former player for Lazio, Italy and the New York Cosmos is dead of a heart attack at age 65.

He was a controversial figure, but did a lot to bring attention to soccer in the US. RIP.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/04/01/sports/s113759D39.DTL&type=science

Melange
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
one of those interesting characters that football magazines like to do a story on, in face thats the only reason why i have heard of him. credit to him for trying to play football in Britain at a time when there was not much skill in the sport.

*JR*
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM
I remember from my youth when the Cosmos got him, along with Franz Beckenbauer and of course Edson Arantes do Nascimento (Pele). The trio got the Cosmos out of little (25K seating capacity) Dowling Stadium on Randall's Island, NYC (where John McEnroe's tennis center is) to the newly opened Giants Stadium in nearby Nooo Joisy. As the G-Men sucked then (along with the newly moved there Jets) the Cosmos quickly started outdrawing both of those NFL franchises, sometimes filling the about 80K seats there. RIP, Giorgio.

76-mi_4E1Js

darrinbaker00
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:24 PM
I remember from my youth when the Cosmos got him, along with Franz Beckenbauer and of course Edson Arantes do Nascimento (Pele). The trio got the Cosmos out of little (25K seating capacity) Dowling Stadium on Randall's Island, NYC (where John McEnroe's tennis center is) to the newly opened Giants Stadium in nearby Nooo Joisy. As the G-Men sucked then (along with the newly moved there Jets) the Cosmos quickly started outdrawing both of those NFL franchises, sometimes filling the about 80K seats there. RIP, Giorgio.

In the last days of the NASL, the Cosmos were owned by Warner Communications, which also owned Atari, where my mother worked. Through that connection, I was able to see Mr. Chinaglia play for free whenever they came to San Jose to play the Earthquakes.

McPie
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
:speakles: