PDA

View Full Version : Should Yuri Sharapova return to coach Maria?

LH2HBH
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM
I don't expect to win any popularity contests with this thread but wasn't Joyce/Sharapova the last coaching combination to take her to a grand slam? I honestly think he inspires the fight in her like no one else ever will. Discuss?

Stonerpova
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:09 PM
They worked together a lot over the off season and he was involved in her post-Australian Open practice sessions :shrug:

I said a couple of years ago that she should bring him back, but she made it sound like he doesn't want to travel anymore.

kangwoo
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
who is yuri shaparova?

maria shaparova's father is yuri shaparov

Simugna Help
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM
She should probably drop her current coach. He did some great job, she improved her net play and serve tremendously over the past year, but when I hear him on court it's just :help: He only massages her ego and doesn't give her any useful tactical advices.

Halepsova
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM
What if Yuri is back and her clay court game becames dull again? :unsure:

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
Yes. I've been saying this for a while now. I think she needs Yuri on her box.

Dawn Marie
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM
HELL NO! Yuri was there at the right time. When Maria was new to the scene.. a lil younger. I think it's time to face the facts..Maria is gonna be like a Lindsay Davenport. She will beat players but will find it harder to win the big ones. The big hitters move faster then Maria and do what she does. Maria doesnt have a plan B so when two plan A players play and the other Plan A player is athletically stronger the weaker Plan A player will lose ALMOST EVERYTIME. So there is hope that she will pull out a slam.

This new coach is actually making Maria work on her weakness which is footwork and becoming faster..so time will tell. Is it to late? Are the faster big hitters going to pass her by? Is it enuff now..for her to be a lil quicker on the court?? I personally see her decling like Davenport did.

doomsday
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM
HELL NO! Yuri was there at the right time. When Maria was new to the scene.. a lil younger. I think it's time to face the facts..Maria is gonna be like a Lindsay Davenport. She will beat players but will find it harder to win the big ones. The big hitters move faster then Maria and do what she does. Maria doesnt have a plan B so when to plan A players play and the other Plan A player is athletically stronger the weaker Plan A player will lose ALMOST EVERYTIME. So there is hope that she will pull out a slam.

Who are those big hitters exactly?:lol: Radwanska and Vika :spit:

Dawn Marie
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Azarenka,Kivitova,Venus and Serena. For starters. Aga hasn't stopped her from winning a slam. Wait yes she did she beat her at the US Open.

Ok,time will tell..I could be wrong but I think Maria is gonna start to decline.

WowWow
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:35 PM
Yes, of course he should, but I thought sponsors suggested otherwise, no?

Vee Williams
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:40 PM
I am not sure Yuri is the best solution, although I agree that the current coach's time has come. He seems to have helped Maria with her movement; and the serve has been working better these past few weeks. However, when a coach starts telling you that you will win the match because the opponent 'will choke', 'will start missing her shots' or 'will get tired faster' (hence, that the outcome of the match does not depend on you), it's time to consider a change. Maria is too good to get stuck and not move forward.

Wintermute
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM
From what I've seen Masha doesn't seem to gain a lot of useful tactical advice when she calls Hogstedt on court. It's more motivational advice or psychological tricks along the lines of 'your opponent's getting tired now, she'll start making errors". I don't know whether this helps or not (I'm not a fan of on-court coaching anyway) but I guess most of the useful things he's doing with her are on the practice court.

Plus Masha is older now, she's an independent woman. I don't really think she wants her dad tagging along any more.

Gilas.
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM
He's getting old, let the man rest :lol: But it won't hurt if he appears at slams to motivate her.

Oh, and give back Hodgstedt to Na; maybe he can help her get her sht together.

Zenjo
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:21 PM
Maria was always a star, but fans didn't used to support her. That was in no small part because her father came across as such a horrible person in her corner. Keep Yuri on the practise court please.

Shivank17
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM
Yes, Papa Yuri to fix Maria's Mental blockade. :rocker2:

Irute
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
I don't think Yuri will help. Maria is motivated enough but she bangs her head against a brick wall. She is trying to do same thing and expecting different outcome. Maria needs help to figure out something new and if current coach can't help then it should be someone else, but I don't think that is Yuri.

Tennisation
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Honestly, why is she still with Hogstedt? He gives her the worst advice on court coaching ever. He'd be telling her things like..."she'll choke, you're better than her, she'll get tight". Where can I sign up to be someone's on court coach and get paid big bucks for that shit?

NashaMasha
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
Yuri should be on Slams ,as i am not sure that Hogstedt is a good psychologist and can help Masha when she needs such help

doujyr
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Honestly, why is she still with Hogsted? He gives her the worst advice on court coaching ever. He'd be telling her things like..."she'll choke, you're better than her, she'll get tight". Where can I sign up to be someone's on court coach and get paid big bucks for that shit?

this. he seems to be trying to turn her into a pusher :rolleyes:

Tennisation
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:37 PM
this. he seems to be trying to turn her into a pusher :rolleyes:That's exactly what has been happening. During the IW final against Vika, he came out and literally told her that and she started pushing and lost the next 7 games. :o

Kipling
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM
There is a gameplan for beating her now. Unless Yuri has been studying the other players' weaknesses, devising gameplans, and a way for Maria to implement those effectively in various situations, it would be pointless. She'd be better off with someone like Goerges has in Nentzel, a coach who can give his player options to use within a match.

doujyr
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM
don't know if getting dad back is the answer but hogstedt has got to go

Simugna Help
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Honestly, why is she still with Hogstedt? He gives her the worst advice on court coaching ever. He'd be telling her things like..."she'll choke, you're better than her, she'll get tight". Where can I sign up to be someone's on court coach and get paid big bucks for that shit?
I remember when his main advice against Voskoboeva was "she will choke". I wonder if it helped :oh:
I mean, most players who begin their matches by outplaying Maria either do choke or simply after 60-80 minutes of playing at their highest level start to play much worse due to fatigue, but that sort of advice is so bad.

There is a gameplan for beating her now.
Play flat and deep balls until there's an opening or Sharapova makes an error. Alas, only a handful of players can execute it.:p

Monzanator
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
NO WAY!!! Yuri and Joyce belong to the past and should remain there..

Si_Hi
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
if someone must be added to her team, it might as well be Vujačić.

Maria rocks
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM
Yes. I've been saying this for a while now. I think she needs Yuri on her box.

Possibly have Yuri there for support yes but keep Thomas Hogstedt as her coach. He's doing a great job!!! I don't get everyone's panic. We are only just in April and Maria has already reached 3 finals not to mention her title and Wimbledon final in 2011. Considering the injry she had i think she is doing just fine!!! I for one am proud of her and just know great things are around the corner for Maria.

faboozadoo15
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:46 PM
Maria is way too loyal to jump from ship to ship. She also really likes a routine, and she doesn't play for a coach or blame bad coaching for any of her losses, slips in the ranking, etc. I get the feeling that parting with Michael Joyce was one of the hardest career decisions she ever made, and one that was made out of the realization that they were probably too much like family to keep working together. Joyce gets to make megabucks coaching young talent without having to travel as much, and Maria probably chose Hogstedt really carefully. She hasn't won a slam yet, but she's been making so many finals lately and is solidly #2 in the world. I think she needs to stick with Hogstedt because it's working.

VishaalMaria
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
She just needs to get a new coach. Her current coach is not right for her. Multiple times I've heard him say "Don't worry, she [the opponent] will choke". In the Miami final against Aga after losing the first set, he was like "You've had break points in every single one of her service games"- Did she really? I don't think so. He's always giving her false hope.

When Maria burst onto the scene, that wasn't the way she rolled. She'd always fight and hit winners past you. Which is contrasting the sort of advice she gets from her coach; in tight situations, mentally, that's not the sort of advice you want in your head.

StoneRose
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:00 PM
No.

edificio
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:02 PM
It is up to her and Yuri. Also, there are more coaches than just Yuri out there.

Tennis Observer
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:02 AM
[...]wasn't Joyce/Sharapova the last coaching combination to take her to a grand slam?
Maria's father Yuri Sharapov was her main coach and Michael T. Joyce her hitting partner & coach. As Maria teamed up with Thomas Hogstedt after 2010 season and she won her 3rd GS in Melbourne 2008, there is no doubt that these merits go to her former team too.

I honestly think he inspires the fight in her like no one else ever will.
After Maria withdraw from Rogers Cup 2008, an MRI scan revealed that she had been suffering from a rotator cuff tear since April, forcing her to finish the season. After a failed attempt to rehabilitate Maria's shoulder, she had surgery to repair the tear.

In 2009, Maria played her first singles tournament in Warsaw as # 126 and finished the season as # 14. By Maria's standards 2010 season was mediocre. As her last two tournaments ended in disappointment (R1 loss at P5 Tokyo against Kimiko Date-Krumm & R2 loss at PM Beijing against Elena Vesnina, she ended the season at # 18.

Maria ended 2011 as # 4 (her first Top 10/Top 5 finish since 2008/2007). This year Maria was Runner Up at Australian Open, Indian Wells & Miami.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:08 AM
Maybe only when she plays a final :lol::p

LH2HBH
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:49 AM
who is yuri shaparova?

maria shaparova's father is yuri shaparov

Stupid auto-correct :P

AliceMariaRenka
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:35 AM
I don't think Yuri will help. Maria is motivated enough but she bangs her head against a brick wall. She is trying to do same thing and expecting different outcome. Maria needs help to figure out something new and if current coach can't help then it should be someone else, but I don't think that is Yuri.

Yes, Maria, surprisingly does do this and does need a fresh approach. Surprisingly because I thought she would have the intelligence to work things out by now! Of course, the weekend could very well have ben Maria underestimating Aga. She may have thought it would have been easier than Caroline.

pierce85
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:39 AM
Why would Yuri Sharapov have a sex change and come back to coach Maria?