PDA

View Full Version : Was Aga's victory over Maria really that "shocking" ?

aguy9797
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
Let's keep it straight.

Maria played well yesterday. When was the last time Maria's serve stats were that good? When was the last time she won that many points charging the net?

The problem with Maria's game is that her tennis arsenal is very limited, thus when her game plan does not work she can't pull a plan B out of her sleeve. This is a curse of all ball-bashers.

Per Aga. I think it was an outstanding example of assuming a perfect strategy, and then a perfect execution thereof. She had a very clear blueprint in her mind, and followed it to perfection. Aga's variety was Maria's nightmare, as it completely exposed her lack of mobility.

Each time when Maria found herself outmaneuvered and out of position, she was forced to make yet another error. These were all forced errors, errors forces by Aga's deep, fantastic placement of the ball.

Now, for Aga it is all mental. Aga is not Martina Hingis, Aga is Aga Radwanska, very unique, unorthodox player that woman tennis do not see often. Aga had kept on losing to power players in the past (like Venuses, Marias, etc.) because of her lack of believe, she was losing those matches in her head.

It is the same mechanism with her losses to Vika right now. Aga loses to Vika, at the moment, not because she is a worse tennis player but because Aga let herself think she can't beat Vika (which apparently started during their match at AO, and was reinforced by Aga's subsequent stupid comments creating pressure Aga does not handle well).

With the growing confidence, Aga should overcome all those mental obstacles. Nothing is guaranteed in tennis. I guess, this is why we all love it so much, but I think there is a high likelihood that we can expect big things coming from Aga in the future.

You go, Aga!!...and in the meantime please withdraw from Charleston, it does not make any sense for you to play another week of tennis, take a break, go home and recharge your battery ;)

pov
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:24 PM
Yes. Very much so.

5 (4) 2008 DOHA HARD S M.Sharapova 6-4 6-320 (16)
49 2009 TORONTO HARD Q M.Sharapova 6-2 7-6(5)13 (14)
25 2009 TOKYO - PAN PACIFIC HARD S M.Sharapova 6-3 2-6 6-412 (11)
15 (5) 2010 STANFORD HARD S M.Sharapova 1-6 6-2 6-211 (3)
15 (10) 2010 CINCINNATI HARD R 16 M.Sharapova 6-2 6-39 (7)
8 (7) 2011 FRENCH OPEN CLAY R16 M.Sharapova 7-6(4) 7-513 (12)

Randwanska's only prior win was in 2007. The only thing that can be said to support "non-shocking" is that recently Sharapova seems to lose in the finals no matter who she's playing.

Irute
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
I don't think it was shocking. I know Aga lost a lot of matches prior to this one, however I felt she always had a shot and should not be written off. This time she came through. It was a big effort on her part but not a huge surprise.

Trih
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:27 PM
Let's keep it straight.

Maria played well yesterday.

No. Period. :shrug:
It doesn't matter if she served good and didn't make too many DF's, she played very bad and deserved to lose, end of discussion. :shrug:

Utterchaos
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
The only reason Fluffdwanska won is because these courts are slower than clay, allowing her to wait for errors and keep the ball in play. Lets not delude ourselves here, she hit 5 winners in a whole match, she is by no means a shotmaker. On grass or indoors, she's gonna be hit off the court by any decent ballstriker because matches again st Radwanska are 100% on other's player racquet.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:33 PM
Probably but it's not like she's ranked outside top 30 or is an unknown player.:shrug: She's a crafty player, plus she has one win against Maria before. Players like her who's been on tour for years pretty much has the experiences to play against unstable opponents like Maria.:oh:

Kworb
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't think it was shocking. When Aga plays well she is a nightmare for Sharapova.

dany.p
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:34 PM
Lets not get to carried away now. No doubt Radwanksa played a smart, tactically sound match, and she wholeheartedly deserved the win. But the head to head is still 7-2 in sharapova's favour .

It will be interesting to see how there future matches turn out.

Miracle Worker
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Yes. Tired, injured and non playing for 8 months Venus was better in match against Radwanska than world number 2 Maria.

Something was wrong yesterday.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:36 PM
Anyone who saw the last 5 games of Maria's 1st set in the semis knew that her game is not super consistent.
I think the h2h, and Maria's semi win made her the favorite ( to me). But I'm not surprised.
If Caro played Aga in the FO final that wouldnt surprise me. They're both capable when they're holding serve

pov
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:38 PM
I don't think it was shocking. When Aga plays well she is a nightmare for Sharapova.

^ Really? so the 7 wins Sharapova had were all because Radwanska didn't play well? :lol:

aguy9797
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:38 PM
Yes. Very much so.

5 (4) 2008 DOHA HARD S M.Sharapova 6-4 6-320 (16)
49 2009 TORONTO HARD Q M.Sharapova 6-2 7-6(5)13 (14)
25 2009 TOKYO - PAN PACIFIC HARD S M.Sharapova 6-3 2-6 6-412 (11)
15 (5) 2010 STANFORD HARD S M.Sharapova 1-6 6-2 6-211 (3)
15 (10) 2010 CINCINNATI HARD R 16 M.Sharapova 6-2 6-39 (7)
8 (7) 2011 FRENCH OPEN CLAY R16 M.Sharapova 7-6(4) 7-513 (12)

Randwanska's only prior win was in 2007. The only thing that can be said to support "non-shocking" is that recently Sharapova seems to lose in the finals no matter who she's playing.

of course those stats scream loud that Maria is a favorite.

My point, however, is that the last 2-3 years was a "trial and error" period for Aga. Early losses to power players destroyed her confidence and she needed some time to figure out how to deal with power and "reestablish" her confidence.

I think she has finally put it together in her head, thus she should start winning more matches against players she used to lose to in the past.

Knizzle
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Considering Aga's 5 previous matches and how I saw her being so calm and not making any errors, it wasn't a big shock. She seemed ready for this title.

young_gunner913
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM
No to upset, it was a BOMBSHELL!!!!11!!11!!!1

Simugna Help
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yes. Tired, injured and non playing for 8 months Venus was better in match against Radwanska than world number 2 Maria.

What are you talking about? :rolleyes: Williams won 5 games in her match, Sharapova won 9.

I am not surprised (obviously). Aga has improved a lot since their last meetings and her previous 3 matches were against at least decent ballstrikers (Muguruza, Williams, Bartoli), so she got used to powerful shots before facing Sharapova.

Critique
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:49 PM
It wasn't that shocking really. Maria is the better player, but given her performances in finals over the last year it was not as big a bombshell as people try to make out :shrug:

Day matches on these disgustingly slow courts are going to favour Radwanska who is capable of keeping the ball endlessly in court playing high % tennis.

W/UE ratio over IW/Miami speak for themselves really. Hopefully last few weeks will show WTA that courts need to be quickened :o

aguy9797
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM
W/UE ratio over IW/Miami speak for themselves really. Hopefully last few weeks will show WTA that courts need to be quickened :o

Maria had problems with Aga's serves and shots on this, as you say "too slow surface".

I do not understand how is Maria going to benefit from faster courts.

Maria is going to have even less time to set up her shots on the quicker surface. Considering that Maria's lack of movement is her biggest liability, I do not see how it could be Maria's advantage.

StoneRose
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM
No, i called it.

Beat
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM
The only reason Fluffdwanska won is because these courts are slower than clay, allowing her to wait for errors and keep the ball in play.

if that was "the only reason", why did sharpie beat wozniacki?

Joe.
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM
Shocking? No. Maria may have reached the final but her matches have been far from convincing (even against Li)
I did think Maria would win this though but the fact she lost didn't surprise me at all!

Kworb
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM
^ Really? so the 7 wins Sharapova had were all because Radwanska didn't play well? :lol:

Well in the past Sharapova was a lot better and Radwanska a little worse. I'm talking about their abilities right now.

zigga
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yes.

bandabou
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM
Maria doesn't have plan B..if she can't hit trough you, then she's pretty much toast. And don't put too much stock in the ' only 5 winners' blah blah..when Masha beat Li with only 6 winners, nobody said thing. So..:lol:

Shivank17
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:31 PM
It was. :shrug:

CWTennis
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:44 PM
not at all, at least for me!

JustPetko
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Radwanska's victory wasn't that shocking as Sharapova's loss.

_inocencia_
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM
nope

Stonerpova
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Not really. I had a feeling Radwanska would beat her.

doomsday
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Well in the past Sharapova was a lot better and Radwanska a little worse. I'm talking about their abilities right now.

In the past? I remind you that most of Maria's wins over Aga were post-surgery (many came in 09 and 10) but you right to say that Aga improved and won big titles now she sure had confidence coming up in that final. Maria not so much, considering she had lost her previous ones and very badly.

kangwoo
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM
aga less power but compensate that with brilliant shot to the point marsha made unforced errors. tonne

while cow just returned the ball back to the court for the sake returning the ball and wait for opponent make unforced errors

love how aga overcome petrovic in san diego and beijing 2011

Dawn Marie
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:27 PM
Of course not. Not if you're a real tennis fan. Aga has the type of game that can upset the big hitters. She has alot of variety and will not always give u the pace that a big hitter enjoys to hit.

NeKo
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM
The highlight of the main post is that Radwanska is a pusher.

Gilas.
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:09 PM
I did find it quite shocking TBH. In theory Aga can beat Maria, and they have had a lot of close matches in the past, but as always it would be Maria's return that would hold steadier and Aga's serve will break down. But we all knew the opposite happened in this match and this may well be th trend in their future matches.

I thinkp people are also forgetting that Aga is now consistently beating a lot of players who used to own her: Ivanovic, Jankovic, Zvonareva, Schiavone.. And now she beat Venus and Maria in 1 tournament. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised after al :) The future is looking good for her :)

Lulu.
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:18 PM
For me it was. I was rooting for her but I didn't see her pulling it off.

aguy9797
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:25 PM
in the meantime please withdraw from Charleston, it does not make any sense for you to play another week of tennis, take a break, go home and recharge your battery ;)

smart Aga!! :bigclap:

NashaMasha
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM

Venus was doomed to lose from the start of the match , I was sure about the result after 2-3 rallies
Of course Venus was not fit and has not enough playing practice , but you should not compare absolutely competitive match Aga had with Sharapova with comparatively easy one with Venus

By the way, i 'd like to remind that Sharapova can lose to someone called Oudin... Is it shocking ? Not for me, as with defensive players Masha can self destruct or win easily
In this particulary match she after losing some very good chances to break Aga , played two disgusting serve games in both sets It is like in soccer after you do not score goal from several 100% goal momements you should be ready to get 0-1 from penalty or corner as a punishment for losing your chances

Corswandt
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM
Was Aga's victory over Maria really that "shocking" ?

Not really as (despite the ridiculously lopsided H2H) they had played several tight matches in the past.

What was shocking was the way the match went.

The problem with Maria's game is that her tennis arsenal is very limited, thus when her game plan does not work she can't pull a plan B out of her sleeve. This is a curse of all ball-bashers.

Per Aga. I think it was an outstanding example of assuming a perfect strategy, and then a perfect execution thereof. She had a very clear blueprint in her mind, and followed it to perfection. Aga's variety was Maria's nightmare, as it completely exposed her lack of mobility.

Each time when Maria found herself outmaneuvered and out of position, she was forced to make yet another error. These were all forced errors, errors forces by Aga's deep, fantastic placement of the ball.

All standard issue stock sentences used when a shotmaker (even a flawed one who too often relapses into power grinding like Martha) self-destructs against an underpowered, defensive opponent. "All" forced errors? Really? And what variety did she display? Maybe you mean those two framed returns of serve that nevertheless landed in on the final game of the match? How about we take into account what actually happened during the match?

Martha lost all the decisive points, ALL, with needless errors. Missed opportunities to break and get the lead that would have avoided having to overcome the additional pressure to serve to stay on both sets. This match could easily have gone the other way - like their RG match last year, I won't deny that.

Miracle Worker
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM
Venus was doomed to lose from the start of the match , I was sure about the result after 2-3 rallies
Of course Venus was not fit and has not enough playing practice , but you should not compare absolutely competitive match Aga had with Sharapova with comparatively easy one with Venus

By the way, i 'd like to remind that Sharapova can lose to someone called Oudin... Is it shocking ? Not for me, as with defensive players Masha can self destruct or win easily
In this particulary match she after losing some very good chances to break Aga , played two disgusting serve games in both sets It is like in soccer after you do not score goal from several 100% goal momements you should be ready to get 0-1 from penalty or corner as a punishment for losing your chances

Yes, Venus was tired, but for me it was obvious that fit Venus would dismiss Radwanska with ease. Venus was tired but still she was able to play actions which Maria won't be able to play in next 10 years. Venus proved that she's still great champion with something spectacular these days in tennis. She has brain.

And that's why Venus was better than Maria. Even with the fact she won 5 games, and Maria won 9.

MrJovani2293
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:02 PM
I feel that there is a different between "playing bad" and " your opponent forcing you to play bad". I felt that Aga forced Maria to play bad not that Maria played bad on her own.

aguy9797
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:06 PM
I feel that there is a different between "playing bad" and " your opponent forcing you to play bad". I felt that Aga forced Maria to play bad not that Maria played bad on her own.

yes,thank you, this is exactly my point.

I guess some fans of power players will never accept it, or rather will never admit it publicly. :rolleyes:

NashaMasha
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:14 PM
Yes, Venus was tired, but for me it was obvious that fit Venus would dismiss Radwanska with ease. Venus was tired but still she was able to play actions which Maria won't be able to play in next 10 years. Venus proved that she's still great champion with something spectacular these days in tennis. She has brain.

And that's why Venus was better than Maria. Even with the fact she won 5 games, and Maria won 9.

of course Venus has 7 titles and Masha only 3 :) I really hope Venus will overcome her health problems and will be ready to reach finals

However, head to head they are 3-3

faboozadoo15
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:18 PM
It's not horribly shocking when you also take into account that Sharapova played 12 matches in roughly 3 weeks and just came off a tough win over Wozniacki.

She returned as miserably as I've ever seen her play, to be honest.

Aga was smart to stick around, but I doubt this will benefit her in the future against Maria.

jameshazza
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:32 PM
Yes, because Masha had beaten a better pusher in the previous round. But you never know when Errorpova can show up, particularly prone to it in finals these days. Also, Aga forced very few errors don't delude yourselves. Masha handed her this.

Holdsworth
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:51 PM
of course, no.. Aga is much better player now. And another disgraceful Pova's final also was expected

edificio
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:01 AM
No, it wasn't a surprise or shocking. Aga has been playing well, and Maria has been a UE machine who forgets how to play in finals.

hingisGOAT
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:26 AM
Not a shock at all.

First of all, Sharapova has NEVER been the best player on tour. NEVER. She's always been third or fourth best, and right now Vika and Aga are clearly better than her.

BTW people need to stop acting like Maria used to be some God-like player. She snuck in a GS once every few years, but otherwise her last year has been possibly the best form of her career. When else has she made the finals of 2 GS and Miami in the course of a year? Never. Sure she had cakewalk draws in all three events, but IMO she's as good (or bad) and as one-dimensional as she's ever been.

HOWEVER, Radwanska is not the player she used to be. That's why Maria's retarded stans need to let go of the head-to-head; it's a relic of the past, a time when Aga was not as good. For the last few years, Aga (and Vika) were the players in the top 10 who always took out the trash in the early rounds, but always lost in the quarters/semis to the real top players. In the last 6 months or so they have both improved tremendously. So any old h2h is just that, old.

Malva
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:22 AM
Also, Aga forced very few errors don't delude yourselves. Masha handed her this.

Russian Eurosport commentators (Likhovtseva was one of the two) were saying during the match the opposite: according to them Radwańska's game had much to do with many of Sharapova's errors; according to them constant changes of pace, rotation, and ball placement, were confounding Sharapava and often causing her to make shots ill-placed, wrong-footed, or unprepared. In spite of being for obvious reasons pro Sharapova, they kept praising Radwańska throughout the match, and especially so when the match ended.

faboozadoo15
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Look at how tired Marion and Vika looks. Sharapova played more matches in the last few weeks than both of them. Perfect opportunity for Aga to score a chance win over Sharapova.

Aryman3
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Who played more last weeks and could be more tired: Maria or Aga?

doomsday
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:51 AM

Maria. She reached IW and Miami finals.
Maria is definitely in better shape than she was like 4 or 5 years ago though but still it's never easy to do great at both IW and Miami. As for this match Maria served well but ROS were totally off there is no way Aga should win so many points off of that second serve and even that 1st serve to be honest.
Anyway cant you guys just move on about this loss ? Aga deserved to win cause Maria was really bad that's it.

bulava
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:05 AM
Real Shockers: Federer losing to Roddick. Nadal handed final slot to Murray with a walkover :eek:

AliceMariaRenka
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
Surprising.

Maria must have had burgers not fish for her dinner. Not the best brain food for such a match. Or very badly advised.

Simugna Help
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM

Physically probably Sharapova. Mentally probably Radwanska since she played in all bigger tournaments this year and took 4 losses to one player.

Regardless, it's Indian Wells/Miami are two weeks tournaments with days of rest between matches. Winning double Asian crown is physically much more draining yet it happened two years in a row, I hope people will understand how ridiculous "she was more tired" excuse is.

Sombrerero loco
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
i dont think so, as aga has lost only to azarenka this year, and sharapova is not azarenka

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Not a shock at all.

First of all, Sharapova has NEVER been the best player on tour. NEVER. She's always been third or fourth best, and right now Vika and Aga are clearly better than her.

BTW people need to stop acting like Maria used to be some God-like player. She snuck in a GS once every few years, but otherwise her last year has been possibly the best form of her career. When else has she made the finals of 2 GS and Miami in the course of a year? Never. Sure she had cakewalk draws in all three events, but IMO she's as good (or bad) and as one-dimensional as she's ever been.

HOWEVER, Radwanska is not the player she used to be. That's why Maria's retarded stans need to let go of the head-to-head; it's a relic of the past, a time when Aga was not as good. For the last few years, Aga (and Vika) were the players in the top 10 who always took out the trash in the early rounds, but always lost in the quarters/semis to the real top players. In the last 6 months or so they have both improved tremendously. So any old h2h is just that, old.

Very interesting..Masha can indeed be overrated sometimes on this forum. Masha's peak form probably rivals many other greats, but her peak form only lasted for two weeks..if that.

Most of the time she was like Davenport with better mentality: never losing to scrubs, but never beating the top dogs either.

Corswandt
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
The Agatha debate we're having here is relevant only to TF.

The older demographic that posts at Bodo's or Tignor's comments box is mostly delighted with Agatha's win, as it fits the preexistent "brains over brawn" narrative and she reminds them of the players and the tennis they grew up watching. The average tournament goer is likely to be older and culturally more conservative than the average TFer, so they are also much more likely to abhor the power game and "bashing shriekers", as they'd still prefer that ladies would be more demure and the darkies kept out of the country club.

Viktymise
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Not a shock at all.

Your trolling attemps are so lame.

Utterchaos
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Radwanska's "tennis guile" is a myth. Even watching the highlights all her points are won on errors after a 20+ shot rally where she runs like a rabbit. She exposed Sharapova's movement and her high risk game because of relentless retrieving. There is a reason Azarenka hammered her 4 times this season. Against a (somewhat) aggressive player who moves well and doesn't feed her UE, she is toast, since she can't hit a winner to save her life :shrug:

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
But everybody is toast against Azarenka..heck Sharapova is even more toasted against Azarenka, no? :shrug:

doomsday
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
But everybody is toast against Azarenka..heck Sharapova is even more toasted against Azarenka, no? :shrug:

Even more, is that a joke? Radwanska lost 0 and 2 against Vika and she should have lost 0 and 0.
Despite losing badly to Vika, Maria played well for at least 1 set and anyway after Miami final we are all aware that Maria can't bring her best when it matters anymore. Don't want to discredit Vika's wins over Maria but Maria just can't play finals and this is really pathetic but I still believe that she has the game to defeat Vika she just executes it poorly while Aga has just nothing to trouble her AT ALL.
Beside you need to understand that they were also playing on the slowest courts EVER, defintely in Vika's advantage I have zero doubts in my mind that Maria can turn things around on clay and grass, and fast HC as well.
Bring on the clay season.

Holdsworth
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:07 PM
I still believe that she has the game to defeat Vika .
today is not April 1 :lol: wake up

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Even more, is that a joke? Radwanska lost 0 and 2 against Vika and she should have lost 0 and 0.
Despite losing badly to Vika, Maria played well for at least 1 set and anyway after Miami final we are all aware that Maria can't bring her best when it matters anymore. Don't want to discredit Vika's wins over Maria but Maria just can't play finals and this is really pathetic but I still believe that she has the game to defeat Vika she just executes it poorly while Aga has just nothing to trouble her AT ALL.
Beside you need to understand that they were also playing on the slowest courts EVER, defintely in Vika's advantage I have zero doubts in my mind that Maria can turn things around on clay and grass, and fast HC as well.
Bring on the clay season.

That isn't what the poster said. He/she was talking like Aga losing to Azarenka somehow makes her an unworthy player.
Now it's about how much games a player won against Azarenka?! :spit: :lol: Okay..

Radwanska can't beat Azarenka...but now Sharapova can't beat Azarenka and now even managed to lose to radwanska. Is even more back to the drawing board for her, no?! :shrug:

The Witch-king
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:17 PM
I can't believe she didn't break her once :weirdo:

gaja kesari
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
The average tournament goer is likely to be older and culturally more conservative than the average TFer, so they are also much more likely to abhor the power game and "bashing shriekers", as they'd still prefer that ladies would be more demure and the darkies kept out of the country club.

:eek:

Your ignorance is simply astounding. So wrong on so many levels, it's not even worth dissecting.

But one turd stands out in the middle of all this verbal diarrhea: somehow you managed to insinuate that people who don't like shrieks on court are racist. Really?

Juanes
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
for me was not that surprising..... :)

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:52 PM
The player who came into the match having won 8 out of the 10 WTA finals she had played in her career, including the last 4, beat the player who came into the match having lost 7 out of the last 9 finals she had played. Is this supposed to be surprising?

doomsday
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:23 PM
That isn't what the poster said. He/she was talking like Aga losing to Azarenka somehow makes her an unworthy player.
Now it's about how much games a player won against Azarenka?! :spit: :lol: Okay..

Radwanska can't beat Azarenka...but now Sharapova can't beat Azarenka and now even managed to lose to radwanska. Is even more back to the drawing board for her, no?! :shrug:

4 losses in a row and the last one being 0 and 2 sorry but this is extremely funny. Aga has nothing to touch Vika and it's really painful to see her vulturing her way to such big titles :lol: but that's the way it is Maria need to get her head out of her ass cause she can dominate this Tour alongside Azarenka and that's all we're looking for.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:37 PM
4 losses in a row and the last one being 0 and 2 sorry but this is extremely funny. Aga has nothing to touch Vika and it's really painful to see her vulturing her way to such big titles :lol: but that's the way it is Maria need to get her head out of her ass cause she can dominate this your alongside Azarenka and that's all what we're looking for.

4 losses in a row, don't mean thing. Masha herself has lost 6 times in a row to a person, yet her fans still insist that Masha can beat that player.

Point is: Masha's fans talk big game..but fact is: Masha is just one of the rest..and now Aga took that place for this one tournament.

Holdsworth
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
4 losses in a row and the last one being 0 and 2 sorry but this is extremely funny. .
Anyway Aga can win a set )
Sharapova's stats against Vika for the last two years - 4:6 1:6 1:6 4:6 4:6 3:6 0:6 2:6 3:6 :worship:

Simugna Help
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
4 losses in a row and the last one being 0 and 2 sorry but this is extremely funny. Aga has nothing to touch Vika and it's really painful to see her vulturing her way to such big titles :lol: but that's the way it is Maria need to get her head out of her ass cause she can dominate this Tour alongside Azarenka and that's all we're looking for.

That's a huge abuse of the word "all". A significant part of tennis fanbase is waiting for Petra to wake up, some part wants Agnieszka to reach new milestones in her career, some wants semi retired part time trio to win a couple more big titles, some want Stosur and Li to have another spike in form etc.

In fact, I'm positive only a minor fraction of tennis fanbase wants the shrieking duo's dominance... especially since one of them doesn't even have game to support that dominance.

Holdsworth
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
she can dominate this Tour alongside Azarenka and that's all we're looking for.
Probably you will wait until pova retires :lol:

dany.p
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
How is Sharapova more "toasted" against Azarenka, then radwanska?

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
How is Sharapova more "toasted" against Azarenka, then radwanska?

Not sets won in the last what 4,5 meetings?! Specially on HC.

doomsday
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
4 losses in a row, don't mean thing. Masha herself has lost 6 times in a row to a person, yet her fans still insist that Masha can beat that player.

Point is: Masha's fans talk big game..but fact is: Masha is just one of the rest..and now Aga took that place for this one tournament.

Not even comparable to Serena vs Maria rivalry but you had to bring her here :lol: Serena and Maria faced 6 times in 8 years that's very confusing and misleading and definitely not comparable to Vika vs Aga, who played 4 times in just 2 months and there is no need to mention that Serena barely played during Maria's best years and vice versa and you know it.

Holdwhatever why just don't you go away?

doomsday
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
That's a huge abuse of the word "all". A significant part of tennis fanbase is waiting for Petra to wake up, some part wants Agnieszka to reach new milestones in her career, some wants semi retired part time trio to win a couple more big titles, some want Stosur and Li to have another spike in form etc.

In fact, I'm positive only a minor fraction of tennis fanbase wants the shrieking duo's dominance... especially since one of them doesn't even have game to support that dominance.

Petra will only wake up on grass courts, fast courts :shrug:

Anabelcroft
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
It's not shocking considering how many UE Maria makes...and when we see winner/UE stats is clear what decided the match!

And it was certainly not Aga with her winner(s) ;)

dany.p
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Not sets won in the last what 4,5 meetings?! Specially on HC.

Interesting that you stopped at 4 or 5. Go back a bit further. Things look a little bit different now, don't they? ;)

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Not even comparable to Serena vs Maria rivalry but you had to bring her here :lol: Serena and Maria faced 6 times in 8 years that's very confusing and not comparable to Vika vs Aga, who played 4 times in just 2 months and there is no need to mention that Serena barely played during Maria's best years and you know it.

Holdwhatever why just don't you go away?

Just saying...no need to compare Serena vs Maria to Aga vs Vika. Still the point is there..

MB.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Aga's vastly improved since firing her dad (last 8 months or so).

Masha hasn't made as many improvements over same time. It makes sense that their matchups now will be closer, and that some will go Aga's way.

Spiritof42
Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Some people make it sound like Radwanska has somehow become a bad match-up for Sharapova because of "improvements" to her game and mental fortitude, but the sad truth (if you're a Sharapova fan) is that Maria simply faltered mentally at crunch time in both sets (against one of her pigeons, no less), showing once again that she's not a very good pressure player these days, especially in finals. Whenever she had a chance to take the lead, she played poorly (Radwanska didn't really have to do anything special to save those BPs - she just forced Sharapova to generate her own pace), while Radwanska didn't get any BPs of her own until the very last game of each set (again due to poor play from her opponent).

Simugna Help
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Eh, you make it sound like Sharapova consistently put pressure on Radwanska's serve but was comfortably holding her own until the very last one in each set which simply isn't true. Pova won 14 points less throughout the match and there were 2 or 3 love games on Radwanska's serve. It was a fierce match overall and Sharapova was uncomfortable throughout, even if she only got very tight in the last game of each set.

pav
Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:09 PM
Totally not shocking, only to those who think a very clever player has no show against a ballbasher.

bulava
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM

Probably, yet to watch Miami final.

But have you seen Vika vs Aga Indian Wells match? It was a rout :eek:

Larrybidd
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
No. Why do people keep talking about the H2H record. That is ancient history. Aga has been a different player the past 6 months or so. Neither she nor Sharapova are the same player they used to be. Look, I prefer the bigger hitters generally, but I respect and enjoy any tennis style, as long as its excellent. Aga didn't drop a set the whole tournament! She was the clearly the class of the event, and her record this year proves its no fluke.

Utterchaos
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM

Masha hasn't made as many improvements over same time. It makes sense that their matchups now will be closer, and that some will go Aga's way.

Radwanska's serve is still awful though. There is no excuse for Sharapova to not break her at least once in 7-5 6-4 match.

mac47
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
I don't even care whether ARad beat Pova or Pova beat herself. What matters is that Pova lost, and I get to enjoy it!

So far so good this year: keep on losing in finals, you horrible banshee. I'll enjoy every clenched fist, every scowl, and most of all every pouting handshake with the umpire.

perseus2006
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
Was Aga's victory over Maria really that "shocking" ? Yes. It was a real stunner.

MaRearSharaPoova
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
ARad actually has a good first serve now - her aces and %1st serve points won are very high. I'd say her first serve is better than Maria's. Her second serve is abysmal though. Maria and ARad have had very close matches lately, in RG I felt Aga should have actually won that match... so it's not really a shock here, I think it was actually expected. The flight back to Poland must have been very sweet for Agz

NashaMasha
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Eh, you make it sound like Sharapova consistently put pressure on Radwanska's serve but was comfortably holding her own until the very last one in each set which simply isn't true. Pova won 14 points less throughout the match and there were 2 or 3 love games on Radwanska's serve. It was a fierce match overall and Sharapova was uncomfortable throughout, even if she only got very tight in the last game of each set.

almost ALL Radwanska serves in 1st set were under pressure with 0-30 or even BP (30-40) , Maria served well, not giving any chances to Aga at all . Maria did not manage to overcome not the pressure coming from Agnieszka but this anticipation " she is makeing a break for sure "
She lost confidence after losing several 100% opportunities to break opponents serve

In the second set Aga served much better and scored 5 winners , therefore Sharapova could afford only one game with tension and BP on Radwanska serve . However , Sharapova just copied herself from the end of 1st set with ridiculous UE

I guess one-two balls in in the first set were decisive for the whole match

Simugna Help
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Sharapova had 2BPs in the first set and they were well played by Agnieszka. She was a little bit lucky with that BP in the second set, but - on average - there are a lot more BPs in a tennis match (per player) and serving under pressure is something players should be used to. Overall scoring 14 points more shows that one player was serving a bit better than the other even before the deciding games.

HelloKitty
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Not really,she will never win a Miami title

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
I guess one-two balls in in the first set were decisive for the whole match

In the 1st set of the Makarova v Sharapova match, Makarova won 25 points against serve and had 7 break points. She converted all that into just one break. Sharapova had just 11 points against serve and four bps. She converted that into 2 breaks. Would you say one-two balls in the first set were decisive for this match as well?

She lost confidence after losing several 100% opportunities to break opponents serve

Several 100% opportunities to break opponents serve?

First of all, Sharapova had only 2 bps in the 1st set and only 1 in the 2nd. This is actually not a great many opportunities to break over the course of a match. The fact that Radwanska won more points against serve and won a greater percentage of points against serve than Sharapova (in both the 1st and 2nd sets and obviously in the match as a whole)hardly support your case that she was hard done by or unlucky failing to take her opportunities either. Contrast this with that Makarova v Sharapova match when Makarova won 53 points against serve and had 15 bps compared to just 30 by Sharapova and just 8 bps. If you want to talk about wasted opportunities, Makarova had 3 times as many in this match as Sharapova did in her match against Radwanska.

Secord of all if Sharapova failed to break then the opportunities to break clearly were not 100%. 100% opportunities to break are successfully taken 100% of the time, if they are not then clearly they were not actually 100% opportunities to break. Anyone with even the smallest understanding of probabilities could tell you that.

MB.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Probably, yet to watch Miami final.

But have you seen Vika vs Aga Indian Wells match? It was a rout :eek:

True. Aza really holds the mental edge here.

I feel like Aga will quickly become her pigeon :hysteric:

Irute
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
True. Aza really holds the mental edge here.

I feel like Aga will quickly become her pigeon :hysteric:

This may or may not be true. You can't really tell based on one match. Their other meetings were much closer including the one won by Aga in Tokyo. I think we need to wait and see. I hope your statement is not prediction of the future, but let's see.

NashaMasha
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
First of all, Sharapova had only 2 bps in the 1st set and only 1 in the 2nd. This is actually not a great many opportunities to break over the course of a match

ok , there were service games with 0-30 beginning , it is not a BP , but also great chance for Sharapova

I've just rewatched this game, in which Sharapova choked in first set ...... there were no actual hard resistance from Radwanska , but Sharapova missed almost all winning last balls, Instead of 30-15 eventually on scoreboard was 0-40 , Moreover Sharapova managed to save 2 set points . One Drop volley cost her a TB at least

faboozadoo15
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
I don't even care whether ARad beat Pova or Pova beat herself. What matters is that Pova lost, and I get to enjoy it!

So far so good this year: keep on losing in finals, you horrible banshee. I'll enjoy every clenched fist, every scowl, and most of all every pouting handshake with the umpire.

Get a life. :wavey:

mac47
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
I've got a very nice life, thank you. It's made even sweeter when Maria loses.

NashaMasha
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I've got a very nice life, thank you. It's made even sweeter when Maria loses.
This year is not going to be a sweet one for you , be ready to cry a river :mad:

mac47
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:39 AM
What, does she have some new ideas about how to play on clay?