PDA

View Full Version : Has the tour recently moved on from the "fat generation"

chingching
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:25 AM
I have noticed that there are less fat people on the tour now and that the people who were are not anymore (e.g. kvitova + kanepi)

Is this because of the tour becoming more physical???
Petra Before:
http://www.erikzona.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/06petra.jpg
After:
http://static.stuff.co.nz/1326764410/330/6270330.jpg
Kaia Before:
http://realztenisfanz.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/b_0526_kanepi01.jpg
After:
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kaia+Kanepi+2012+Brisbane+International+Day+v0qQa8 PpMcdl.jpg

Tenis Srbija
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:34 AM
And what have they been doing lately? :oh:

BillFromRichmond
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:48 AM
And what have they been doing lately? :oh:

Post losing weight, Kvitova won a Grand Slam and is # 3 in the world. Kanepi won an AO tuneup.

To the original posting, yes it is true. Many of the top players have fitness trainers and nutrition consultants. Being fit ( or fitter) can mean the difference in running down and returning a shot to keep play going or to even return it as a winner, versus losing the point, which adds up as the match goes on. Azarenka was never "out of shape" but she is noticeably quicker on the court this year and it has made a difference in her defensive play. Woz if you look at her is probably 10pounds or more less in bodyweight than she was 2 years ago.

When there is not a big difference in the raw talent among players, fitness can be a big factor in giving one the edge over the other. This is the X factor that may prevent a player like Marion Bartoli from being a Top 5 player for any significant period of time. We'll see if a raw talent like Angelique Kerber takes the necessary steps to lose some of her excess baggage.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:50 AM
Safina was one of them too.:oh:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:53 AM
Post losing weight, Kvitova won a Grand Slam and is # 3 in the world. Kanepi won an AO tuneup.

To the original posting, yes it is true. Many of the top players have fitness trainers and nutrition consultants. Being fit ( or fitter) can mean the difference in running down and returning a shot to keep play going or to even return it as a winner, versus losing the point, which adds up as the match goes on. Azarenka was never "out of shape" but she is noticeably quicker on the court this year and it has made a difference in her defensive play. Woz if you look at her is probably 10pounds or more less in bodyweight than she was 2 years ago.

When there is not a big difference in the raw talent among players, fitness can be a big factor in giving one the edge over the other. This is the X factor that may prevent a player like Marion Bartoli from being a Top 5 player for any significant period of time.

Kvitova won GS LATELY?! :eek: :eek: What world do I livin in...where was that GS in the last 100 days?
Don't even get me started on Kanepi. Won one tournament and then :weirdo:

I like them both (Kanepi a bit more :oh: ) but it's not about their weight loss. Kanepi had better results when she was...well heavier in contrast to winning that Aussie event. And Kvitova hasn't lost so many weight. The first pic is just bad.

It's about their game mostly, Kvitova especially, and not so much about their weight.

metamorpha
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:11 AM
Kaia looks better when slimmer tho. I wish they're all slimmer and move their feet gracefully.

JRena
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM
I don't see how they could be training and practicing so much and still be fat.

naranka
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:43 AM
Kvitova won GS LATELY?! :eek: :eek: What world do I livin in...where was that GS in the last 100 days?

I like them both (Kanepi a bit more :oh: ) but it's not about their weight loss. Kanepi had better results when she was...well heavier in contrast to winning that Aussie event. And Kvitova hasn't lost so many weight. The first pic is just bad.

It's about their game mostly, Kvitova especially, and not so much about their weight.

In the last 100 days Kvitova won all her Hopman Cup matches, reached the semis at Sydney and the Australian Open, and won both her Fed Cup matches again the Germans on their own turf. Yeah, she sucked at IW and Miami, but she performed about the same at both as she did last year, plus she was dealing with health issues. As we speak, she's working on her fitness (which got sidelined earlier due to illnesses) in a 2-week training stint in Turkey. She'll turn it around.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:45 AM

Training + stuff they drink for various reasons = body weight. Most of it is in muscles, but some of it goes to hyps, legs...
Kanepi isn't as fat as she is just big :shrug:
But Kvitova has a big tummy :lol:

Pops Maellard
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Kfitova :).

spiritedenergy
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM
let me call steffica greles and i'll get back to you :oh:

chingching
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM

That is exactly how I feel

Halepsova
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Bartoli is still fat. :shrug:

Ferg
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Bartoli is still fat. :shrug:

no shes not, stop being an idiot.

N.M.
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:35 PM
why are they fat, in the first place? they do a lot of sport, they earn much to afford good food

i could never get it...

pov
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Who were the players that made up this "fat generation" you're posting about? Graf? Seles? Nvaratilova? Hingis? the WS? Sharapova? Who??? I can't think of even one successful player (top-10) who's been fat. And even in the top-50, it was always rare. So wtf are you on about?

bbjpa
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Yes, Sophie Lefevre is now outside top 1000 :lol:

Philip
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM
Fat...? You people have no idea what "Fat" is if you think those two were fat :lol:

Its not like we've been seeing this at any point...

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/t/tennis_butt-12439.jpg

:lol:

BillFromRichmond
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:47 PM

In the last 100 days Kvitova won all her Hopman Cup matches, reached the semis at Sydney and the Australian Open, and won both her Fed Cup matches again the Germans on their own turf. Yeah, she sucked at IW and Miami, but she performed about the same at both as she did last year, plus she was dealing with health issues. As we speak, she's working on her fitness (which got sidelined earlier due to illnesses) in a 2-week training stint in Turkey. She'll turn it around.

Answered. And TS, the question had nothing to do with what anybody has done lately. You are an idiot.:wavey:

why are they fat, in the first place? they do a lot of sport, they earn much to afford good food

i could never get it...

It usually starts with genetics. Players with genetic body types like Bartoli, Kerber, the Russian girl ranked 13th with the long name beginning with P and even Lisicki are endomorphs. They can fight their genetics through hard training, cardio and proper diet, but I think that all the time being on the road leads to lots of restaurant, take out and room service food which causes them to retain their weight problems. A classic example has been the change I've seen in Kutznetsova's body each of the last 2 years. She starts the year in reasonably good shape, but by the fall, her belly is drooping over her knees and her legs look like tree trunks.

There is literature out there on proper nutritional principles for athletes like tennis players and I am sure that there are nutritional consultants who do assist some of the players. Its up to the player themselves to invoke the discipline to get on and stay on the right course. Its obvious from looking at Petra's before and after picture that this is no accident. She did something.

LoLex
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:47 PM
What about Pavlyuchenkova?