PDA

View Full Version : Counterpuncher matches don't have to be boring.....

Potato
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:08 AM
p0IW-n-zXbQ

:sad: really wish we had a final like this. credit to dave for making these :)

SwingVolley93
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:16 AM
Good match, but no more entertaining than Radwanska vs Petkovic at Beijing last year TBH.

Kworb
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:19 AM
WTF the point at 2:11!!!

Never seen that point before :eek:

Potato
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:25 AM
Good match, but no more entertaining than Radwanska vs Petkovic at Beijing last year TBH.

:lol: not surprised coming from you

Pvt. Kovalenko
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:30 AM
I miss this Jankovic.. :sad:

Wiggly
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:32 AM
Jankovic and Clijsters will go for the winners if they get the chance.
They can go from defense to offense in one shot.

Radwanska and Wozniacki will need to see a larger-than-Texas opening to try to hit one.

n1_and_uh_noone
Jankovic used to be so good :o

Tenis Srbija
Janković attacks way more when counterpunching than todays counterpunchers :shrug:
Great match...and Sneža in this vid :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:33 AM
Jankovic and Clijsters will go for the winners if they get the chance.
They can go from defense to offense in one shot.

Radwanska and Wozniacki will need to see a larger-than-Texas opening to try to hit one.

THIS

moby
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:16 AM
Sad to see JaJa's athleticism gone to shit. Typical though, giving away chances like that. Should have won this match.

Charlatan
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:27 AM
Janković attacks way more when counterpunching than todays counterpunchers :shrug:
Great match...and Sneža in this vid :lol:

Sad to see JaJa's athleticism gone to shit. Typical though, giving away chances like that. Should have won this match.

These :sad:

she really should be getting slams in this era provided that she can be playing like that

Mynarco
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:28 AM
Y I no see this JJ anymore :sobbing:

Charlatan
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:34 AM
JJ should have peaked at this era :sobbing:

JJ with her counterpunching skills at its finest
11Bc8FbPEfU

Belmont Lad
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:55 AM
I miss this JJ :sobbing:

Tennis Observer
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:16 AM
IMO the Empress transformed from a Tennis Champion to a Celebrity.

Sam L
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:00 AM
IMO the Empress transformed from a Tennis Champion to a Celebrity.
You should probably win at least one Grand Slam before you do that imo. :p I do like her. I wish this JJ came back but I doubt we'll ever see her again. :sad;

spiritedenergy
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:04 AM
the epic exciting years of peak jankovic and ivanovic :sad:

Utterchaos
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
Counterpunching isn't boring as such, but it can quickly become boring when this style is the only viable style if you want to win titles due to slow, high bouncing courts and modern racquets. Tennis needs the old variety back, slow clay, fast grass etc. When players can win a match hitting <5 winners it's a huge problem.

Viktymise
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Junkovic was obviously better than both Failniacki and Queen Vulture, but that's hardly much of a compliment.

Monzanator
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Counterpunchers still haven't invaded the Slams and God forbid if they ever do. It's been 8 years since one of those managed to win a slam. The last resort of ball-bashing is still alive!

Slutiana
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hilarious seeing the crowd so hyped up like that from the first point. These days the only time crowds actually care about WTA tennis (even when they're completely full) is when they're trying to cheer Azarenka out of the tournament.

laurie
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM
The thread title is misleading in my opinion. I took it to mean two counterpuncher players playing eachother - that it doesn't have to be boring.

The greatest matches and matchups have been between puncher and counterpunchers, that's what tennis used to be about for decades:

Borg v McEnroe
Navratilova v Evert
McEnroe v Lendl
McEnroe v Connors
Sampras v Courier
Sampras v Agassi
Navratilova v Graf
Rafter v Agassi
Becker v Lendl

Kvitova v Azarenka has the possibility to be a good rivalry between puncher and counterpuncher.

Now, here's a challenge - can anyone post highlights of a really great match between two counterpunchers, or even two really defensive players?

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:16 PM
The thread title is misleading in my opinion. I took it to mean two counterpuncher players playing eachother - that it doesn't have to be boring.

The greatest matches and matchups have been between puncher and counterpunchers, that's what tennis used to be about for decades:

Borg v McEnroe
Navratilova v Evert
McEnroe v Lendl
McEnroe v Connors
Sampras v Courier
Sampras v Agassi
Navratilova v Graf
Rafter v Agassi
Becker v Lendl

Kvitova v Azarenka has the possibility to be a good rivalry between puncher and counterpuncher.

Now, here's a challenge - can anyone post highlights of a really great match between two counterpunchers, or even two really defensive players?

Most of these pairings do not fall in the category you talk of. Are Graf, Lendl, Connors supposed to be counterpunchers?

laurie
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Most of these pairings do not fall in the category you talk of. Are Graf, Lendl, Connors supposed to be counterpunchers?

The answer to your question is yes.

Andre Agassi considered himself an agressive baseliner, but when he played Sampras, he was forced into the role of counterpuncher because Sampras attacked him and liked to rally from the baseline with Agassi, so Agaasi was often on the backfoot, a role he disliked intensely. Jim Courier suffered exactly the same fate against Sampras. Courier plays no different to any players today, dominating with his forehand but forced into a counterpunching role because Sampras had more weapons, you often saw Courier's frustration into having to play that role.

Lendl dominated with his forehand but when he played McEnroe or Becker or Edberg, they forced the issue, so he became a counterpuncher in those situations. Similarly, Navratilova liked to attack Graf, who had to come up with good returns amd passing shots, especially on grass, hardcourts and indoor carpet.

And as we have seen so far, when Azarenka plays Kvitova, she is forced into a counterpunching role, which she clearly doens't like either.

A counterpuncher doesn't have to be a player meekly running around the baseline like a scaredy cat, aggressive baseline players are forced to become counterpunchers against high quality attack minded players.