PDA

View Full Version : What Martha and Aga said after the match!

treufreund
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:59 PM
Martha still so classy in defeat as you can read below.
“She hit a lot of good balls on the run, and they were deep,” Sharapova said. “She didn’t just bring them back; she had something on them. Then the few errors on important points that I made, I thought maybe I shouldn’t have gone for the line so much, and aimed a little bit closer to the middle.”
Aga paid tribute to Maria by saying...
“I’m playing against a really good player, second in the world right now,” Radwanska said. “I had pretty much nothing to lose. It’s just a great feeling to beat those kind of players, especially in the final playing great tennis.”

Grigorpova
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:02 AM
At least she wasn't playing 'twenty percent' :hah:

I still don't like her, the interview with the other top eight at IW was ridiculous.

Tenis Srbija
“She hit a lot of good balls on the run, and they were deep,” Sharapova said. “She didn’t just bring them back; she had something on them. Then the few errors on important points that I made, I thought maybe I shouldn’t have gone for the line so much, and aimed a little bit closer to the middle.”
Aga paid tribute to Maria by saying...
“I’m playing against a really good player, second in the world right now,” Radwanska said. “I had pretty much nothing to lose. It’s just a great feeling to beat those kind of players, especially in the final playing great tennis.”

Pregnant one, rumour has it :oh:

doomsday
At least she wasn't playing 'twenty percent' :hah:

I still don't like her, the interview with the other top eight at IW was ridiculous.

She doesn't give a shit about you.

Direwolf
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:03 AM
Even Venus wouldve crushed Sharapova in this final!!

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:07 AM
Sharapova is actually a player who always carries herself very well in interviews, she speaks with great perspective, is honest and is consistently respectful towards her opposition and handles defeats with great humility. There might be some qualities about Sharapova which I am not terribly enamored about but this is one that I can say without any reluctance that I have great admiration and respect for.

treufreund
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:09 AM
Martha saying that Aga hit them deep and had something on the ball completely nullifies all of the haterdom on this board. There is only one person in this universe who had to deal with Aga's shots today and that was Martha. Martha knows and the haters don't know. Love you Aga!!! Love you Martha!! Hang in there, Martha because you will win a finals soon. Aga, you hang in there and keep improving and keep gathering up those trophies vulture-style :hearts:

treufreund
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:21 AM
I would be extremely shocked if Martha ever said anything remotely as rude as that whole 20% crap that Serena said after losing to the Wozster.

Tennisation
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:34 AM
I would be extremely shocked if Martha ever said anything remotely as rude as that whole 20% crap that Serena said after losing to the Wozster.Maybe Serena was right, I mean she lost to Woz in straight sets who lost to Flukefinalpova who lost to wait for it wait for it....Radwanska in straight sets.

SwingVolley93
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:52 AM

You do realize she doesn't give a shit about you either. :spit:

hilluis
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:55 AM
Sharapova is actually a player who always carries herself very well in interviews, she speaks with great perspective, is honest and is consistently respectful towards her opposition and handles defeats with great humility. There might be some qualities about Sharapova which I am not terribly enamored about but this is one that I can say without any reluctance that I have great admiration and respect for.

This is very true and is commendable.

treufreund
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:27 AM

Well said! Bravo!:wavey:

matty
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:29 AM

Sharapova is a smart girl and naturally articulate, but don't think for a second that she wasn't groomed/trained in this department by IMG from a very young age. They new they had a diamond and polished every aspect of her, including public speaking.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:39 AM
Sharapova is a smart girl and naturally articulate, but don't think for a second that she wasn't groomed/trained in this department by IMG from a very young age. They new they had a diamond and polished every aspect of her, including public speaking.

Well, it does not hurt to have a pretty girl who clearly loves the sport also be a classy competitor.

Anyway, all this is fine, but I think she nullifies some of the good work she does by constantly saying every single time, by way of match analysis, that she was not aggressive enough. :tape: I mean, she's been playing the sport forever, surely there is something more illuminating than that.

On that subject, what is with that Hogstedt tool? :spit: Worst on-court coach by far.

metamorpha
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:22 AM
It's easy to be gracious when you win, not so when you lose... But Masha is getting used to losing recently so it should be easier now.

Grigorpova
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:24 AM

She wouldn't give one for you either.

debby
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM
Pregnant one, rumour has it :oh:

Even if it's April Fools Day, I hope so. :)

Shivank17
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
NID, Maria is always gracious in defeat. :yeah:

Be it against Aga or Wozniacki. :angel:

LCS
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Agatha is only nice when she wins. Sick of her. Can't wait for the big hitters to actually get into the zone.

doomsday
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM
She wouldn't give one for you either.

In the red light :wavey:

WTAtennisfan15
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:59 AM
Serena said that she was at 20% fitness when she lost to Maria at Wimbledon final, back in 2004. So it's nothing new!

This is a direct quote from the transcript (from 2004 Wimbledon post-final press-conf.): http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=11532

Q. How far are you from being back to where you want to be?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, I'm at like 20% right now, so... I'm at 20%, I think.

Q. You say you're at 20%. Is it just kind of mentally getting the confidence back? A bunch of tournaments? You said you haven't played many tournaments. Can you just break that down for us?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think everyone can see it. There's a lot of stuff I want to do a little more physically. Obviously, I want to play a lot better than I did the last two matches. But I think before I played a little better. But still when I was playing Capriati and stuff, I still think there's a lot of things that I want to work on that I really know from my potential that I can do a lot better on. So that's what I kind of mean by that, I think. Playing-wise, I can just do so much better. But I think everyone here knows I can do so much better than what I did the past few matches. We can't deny that.

Daniel
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM
Aga such a classy lady. :)

Pureracket
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:58 AM
LMAO @ the threadstarter trying to turn this into an anti-Williams thread. :bolt:

LightWarrior
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:36 PM

Classy or politically-correct ? It's a fine line. I think she should stop always praising her opponent after losing finals and be more insightful and honest about her choking in finals. It's weird that she wasn't asked about that in her post-match interview.

Cosmic Voices
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:44 PM
It's easy to be gracious when you win, not so when you lose... But Masha is getting used to losing recently so it should be easier now.

my thoughts exactly.

SerenaMJ
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM
I would be extremely shocked if Martha ever said anything remotely as rude as that whole 20% crap that Serena said after losing to the Wozster.

The 20% crap as you call it is unfortunately true, she did play so bad. The truth is, when she loses it's because she defeats herself not the opponent. If you had taken a minute to even read/listen what Serena had to say about Caro you would know she only had good things to say and what she criticized was her own game not the opponent's. At least Serena doesn't come up with "Isn't she back in Poland already?" type of statement which is the ultimate of rude if you ask me.

pov
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:08 PM
It's easy to be gracious when you win, not so when you lose...
The only people who have a hard time being gracious in losing are those with issues. And if the only times someone is gracious is when they win (aka things going the way they want), they're a hypocrite.

Fighterpova
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:23 PM
Classy :)

Rest Maria!
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:30 PM
The only people who have a hard time being gracious in losing are those with issues. And if the only times someone is gracious is when they win (aka things going the way they want), they're a hypocrite.

While Radwanska's comments after being defeated by Azarenka were quite bitter, she lost over 130 other matches and didn't stir up controversies.

Anyway, about the interviews - reading Radwanska's pressers is quite pointless because she always states that her strategy was to mix it up and fight for every point. Sharapova didn't say anything insightful either (maybe about depth of Aga's defensive strokes). I like reading Murray's interviews, he often says what worked in his game, what he could do better, what he thought were deficiencies of his opponent etc. Interesting read IMO.