PDA

View Full Version : Any Marketing people here that can help me?

VeeJJ
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'll make this simple. I'm currently dong a marketing project for an accounting firm. They want to market a specific service they offer and get more bussiness for that specific serivce. I know nothing about accounting and am finding it very difficult to market something I know nothing about. I've been reading plenty of things and you need to be like a educated accountant to get most of this lingo and indiustry. I figured I'd start with the weaknesses and work form there. I did that and I found weaknesses and things the company can improve. But I am hitting a wall on how to market this to prospective clients. Yes teh company can fix their "weaknesses" but then how do I market their exemplary service?
Help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks

Barrie_Dude
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:09 PM
One of the things you are going to have to determine is the demographics. Who is your target audience? What services are they interested in?

Most of the lingo is going to meaningless to your clients anyway. Likely most of them are not finacial proffesionals. But I expect that they have their concerns, their needs and wants. That is what you need to identify for the firm. Then you need to figure out how to market what services the firm provides to clients exsisting and clients new in such a way that appeals to them. Forget the lingo

Sam L
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:16 AM
Most of the lingo is going to meaningless to your clients anyway. Likely most of them are not finacial proffesionals. But I expect that they have their concerns, their needs and wants. That is what you need to identify for the firm. Then you need to figure out how to market what services the firm provides to clients exsisting and clients new in such a way that appeals to them. Forget the lingo

That is exactly what I'm thinking. I already offered to help with the "lingo" but I don't see the point. I'm not a marketer but why would one need to understand how every product works? I thought it was about satisfying the needs and wants of the consumer. Consumer Behaviour 101. Especially in something complex. Accountants and finance professionals are always told to speak in plain English to clients not "lingo".

VeeJJ
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:26 AM
I think I figured it out. Yeah I got over the lingo issue. I figured out what to imporve and what would appeal now I'm trying to make it into a good presentation. I have to market a benefit plan audit service the company provides. I found that the current US DOL is flipping about how bad they have been and how quality audits are so important. The company said they lost quite a few qudits due to price and sole practioners or small inexperienced firms stealing their business offering services dirt cheap. I found that the DOL surveyed these audit deficiences and found that they most come from those small inexperienced firms/practioners. Prospective clients aren't researching those things sho they have no idea. SO i'm suggesting they nform their prosepctive clients about the risk they are taking when choosing these no boday for their price and how in he long run it's much better to pay for quality becaus eit saves hassle adn time, etc. Tha's the best I could come up with. And I'm suggesting they make a EBP commitee.

Sam L
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:29 AM
I think I figured it out. Yeah I got over the lingo issue. I figured out what to imporve and what would appeal now I'm trying to make it into a good presentation. I have to market a benefit plan audit service the company provides. I found that the current US DOL is flipping about how bad they have been and how quality audits are so important. The company said they lost quite a few qudits due to price and sole practioners or small inexperienced firms stealing their business offering services dirt cheap. I found that the DOL surveyed these audit deficiences and found that they most come from those small inexperienced firms/practioners. Prospective clients aren't researching those things sho they have no idea. SO i'm suggesting they nform their prosepctive clients about the risk they are taking when choosing these no boday for their price and how in he long run it's much better to pay for quality becaus eit saves hassle adn time, etc. Tha's the best I could come up with. And I'm suggesting they make a EBP commitee.
I understand completely what you are trying to do and what this company is facing. Did you choose to market the services of an accounting firm? Or was this assignment set? Because it is quite a hard task. The industry is very reliant on WOM and contacts. It's not so much about marketing their services as such. And yes it is also very price sensitive because it's just about compliance. I mean it's a hassle for most clients that they must go through.

You are on the right track and that is what I would do. Another angle you can take is how you can offer more planning services as well as financial advice. That is to cross sell your services. Most small firms/sole practitioners won't offer this.