PDA

View Full Version : Remember when posters thought Aga was a stand-in Top 10 player...

Tennis Fool
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM
until the new generation settled itself and the real top players would bounce her out?

Now, she's looking like the next potential Slam winner.

Thoughts?

Wiggly
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Well, she used to be the David Ferrer of the WTA.

Good enough to be a top 5-7 player but punching bag for the elite.
She did improve tremendously but it's still a mystery how did she manage to get to #4 and to win two of the four Premier Mandatory.

$uricate
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:10 PM
until the new generation settled itself and the real top players would bounce her out?

Thoughts?

Nobody could possibly have foreseen how much the tour would diminish.

JRena
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Remember when James Blake was #4 in the world?

Tennis Fool
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:35 PM
^ Forgot about that :eek: But that was a lifetime ago in tennis ages. Plus, he was no threat to win a Slam, just getting to a quarterfinal was his goal.

Smoke944
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:37 PM

Incredibly bad comparison :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:38 PM

Ljubicshit was no3

Tennis Fool
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:03 PM
^ I missed those transitional years, when Ljubicic used to diss Rodduck, Schuettler was in the Top 10, so was Max Miryni.

A time when the WTA had a higher level than the ATP, and Menstennisforum was ATPWorld and fun to post at :o

iGOAT
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:05 PM

She did improve tremendously but it's still a mystery how did she manage to get to #4 and to win two of the four Premier Mandatory.
It's not coincidence that her rise began as soon as she got a proper coach and stopped using her father :shrug:.

I'm really happy for Aga. Every other Miami champion has won a major and I can certainly see her following this trend. If nothing else her impeccable mental skills can get her through seven matches.

Sammo
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:36 PM

Blake is a great player :o

The Kaz
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:54 PM
Blake is a great player :o

:happy: Uh no, he's not.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:01 PM
There are people on this board who think you cant win unless you have huge strokes and hit lots of winners.
But Aga & Caro have a lot of other positive qualities and are going to be real good for a while, if they stay healthy

Sammo
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:04 PM
:happy: Uh no, he's not.

He was very inconsistent but his game is great, much better than Fernando Gonzalez for example yet nobody complained about Gonzalez.

oh yeah i guess
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:01 AM
^ I missed those transitional years, when Ljubicic used to diss Rodduck, Schuettler was in the Top 10, so was Max Miryni.

A time when the WTA had a higher level than the ATP, and Menstennisforum was ATPWorld and fun to post at :o

Mirnyi's highest singles ranking was #18, no?

matty
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:43 AM
She has surprised me. She does a lot with what she has to work with (slightish frame). I'm surprised that she has been able to improve her serve and her groundstokes--certainly has taken her to another level

Henpova
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:27 AM
There are people on this board who think you cant win unless you have huge strokes and hit lots of winners.
But Aga & Caro have a lot of other positive qualities and are going to be real good for a while, if they stay healthy

Thank YOU!!!

She has done a lot of hard work and she is where she belongs. It is not like she is beating nobodies. She took out Vee, Marion, and Martha to win Miami. Those are some good scalps. I know she dose not have a game that a lot of people on here will like but you don't have to hit a ton of winners to be a great player. She forces a lot of errors from the other player and she goes for her shots and serves when she needs too. I know she only had one winner in the first set today but Miami is very slow and it hard for a lot of players to hit a ton of winners.

moby
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:34 AM

She did improve tremendously but it's still a mystery how did she manage to get to #4 and to win two of the four Premier Mandatory.She's still the punching bag for the elite. Except now the elite comprises of exactly 1 player.

Halepsova
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM
I also remember some people saying Ula is even a better player than Aga. :lol:

Utterchaos
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:05 AM

Thoughts?

Let her reach SF first.

frequentflyer
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:09 AM
I also remember some people saying Ula is even a better player than Aga. :lol:

Papa Radwanski I believe himself said not so much that Ula is better but that she has even bigger potential than the elder Radwanska. But that was when they were both teens.

N.M.
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:34 AM
it's common to say this about younger siblings, maybe for commercial purpose

heard the same about coria and djokovic brothers :haha:

though it needs to be said, i also considered ula having more potential when watching them live; just ula is an extreme headcase. extreme. needs a psychiatrists before she sees a coach, sorry.

Slutiana
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:35 AM
Nobody could possibly have foreseen how much the tour would diminish.
/endthread
She's still the punching bag for the elite. Except now the elite comprises of exactly 1 player.
Who?

Wiggly
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
though it needs to be said, i also considered ula having more potential when watching them live; just ula is an extreme headcase. extreme. needs a psychiatrists before she sees a coach, sorry.

Ula is more aggressive but does everything just like dozens of other girls.
She'a solid top 50-40, peak top 30 player.

pov
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM
Papa Radwanski I believe himself said not so much that Ula is better but that she has even bigger potential than the elder Radwanska. But that was when they were both teens.
Not to mention also being before U.Radwanksa injured her back.