PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thinking of visiting Belgrade?

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:41 AM
I'm curious who has been in Belgrade (non Serbians), how did you like it (or not :ras: ) and does anyone plans to visit European parties capital? :wavey:

delicatecutter
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:43 AM
Are you going to have sex with me?

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:46 AM
Are you going to have sex with me?

Are 1,75 tall, brunette and hot girl under 30? :cool:

delicatecutter
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:03 AM
Uhhhhhhh.

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:13 AM
The only purpose of me going to Serbia one day is to find Danilo.:oh:

LoLex
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:16 AM

I thought you are gay.

ivanban
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM
The only purpose of me going to Serbia one day is to find Danilo.:oh:

:(

Mynarco
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
Been there once. I missed the Pizza of Toma's

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:58 AM
I thought you are gay.

I was even banned for being a "homophob" :spit:
Well, what goes around comes around :lol:

McPie
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:23 PM
I was even banned for being a "homophob" :spit:
Well, what goes around comes around :lol:

veoma dobro :spit:

Fantasy Hero
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:24 PM
one day i will to visit my uni mate who's from there :D

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:16 PM
:(

and Ivan too, if he welcomes me with open arms.:oh:

Tenisci
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:57 PM
I ant to visit there, but dunno is it cheap or expensive ? (hotels etc)

Just Do It
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:21 PM
and Ivan too, if he welcomes me with open arms.:oh:
Ivan works in Marks and Spencer so you can find him there any day :oh:
I ant to visit there, but dunno is it cheap or expensive ? (hotels etc)
It is cheap compared to Western Europe. I believe prices in Serbia are similar with the ones in Turkey.

The Witch-king
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:30 PM
Someone told me racism is rampant there...so, no.

Tenisci
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:37 PM

It is cheap compared to Western Europe. I believe prices in Serbia are similar with the ones in Turkey.

Thank you

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:02 PM

Wrong

Curcubeu
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM
I can only recommand Belgrade, especially at night.

Sammo
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:14 PM

Add blue/green eyes to that and you have my ideal girl...

Tenis Srbija
Apr 1st, 2012, 12:44 AM
Add blue/green eyes to that and you have my ideal girl...

59578 that's good enough for me :p

delicatecutter
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:27 AM
She looks borderline transsexual.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:07 AM

Yeah, that's why she was Serbian Miss...afterall, Serbian girls are known for looking like transsexuals ;)

Mary Cherry.
Apr 1st, 2012, 02:28 AM

Ivan has my deepest sympathies :awww:

ranfurly
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:05 AM
Backpacked last Serbia in 2009

Felt safe with people, not so much by myself, Brilliant History, Architecture.

Surprised by the amount of Hypodermic Needles littered on the streets, young teenagers crooning in packs and a air of racism amongst many.

All in all, another generic eastern European city which I can cross of my list of saying I've been there.

KournikovaFan91
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:32 AM
Ivan has my deepest sympathies :awww:

The food section is to DIE for :hearts:

pla
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Wrong

Oh c'mon.. you won't find a place in Eastern Europe, and especially South EE, where racism, xenophobia and homophobia are not rampant. Not that in Western Europe they are not the same, but at least they try to hide it, which is generally not the case in our homes.. sadly.

I will go to Belgrade in the next couple of years, I've planned a Balkan trip :bounce:

SM
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:14 AM
Probably the next time im visiting family in Mkd i will get a bus/train from Skopje and check out Belgrade for a week or so....I was thinking of going last time I was up in the area...

rada
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM
I went last yeah in August with my Spanish and Kiwi friends. The clubs/night life was great we only went to one gay club and it wasn't to bad. The food is amazing and very cheap and some of the city has amazing History and Architecture. I found some of the people very rude tho and of course there is racism but wasn't that bad. I am going to go back this year and see Croatia, Hungry or Bulgaria

Tenis Srbija
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:36 AM
Oh c'mon.. you won't find a place in Eastern Europe, and especially South EE, where racism, xenophobia and homophobia are not rampant. Not that in Western Europe they are not the same, but at least they try to hide it, which is generally not the case in our homes.. sadly.

I will go to Belgrade in the next couple of years, I've planned a Balkan trip :bounce:

Oh yeas, we are all the same in Eastern Europe :lol: Now how is that called? :p
I have a lot of black (PC - Afroamerican) friends here in Belgrade...I spend a lot of time with them, and I have never seen them having any problem 'cause of their skin. :shrug:

Probably the next time im visiting family in Mkd i will get a bus/train from Skopje and check out Belgrade for a week or so....I was thinking of going last time I was up in the area...

Do it! I was in Skopje few times...had a lot of fun, but I will never understand why do the cities in region like Skopje, Zagreb (don't get me started about Ljubljana) die in the evening :scratch: Belgrade is 00-24...and it's most alive during the night :bounce:

Sam L
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'm curious who has been in Belgrade (non Serbians), how did you like it (or not :ras: ) and does anyone plans to visit European parties capital? :wavey:

I want to visit Belgrade and Novi Sad next time I'm in Europe. Well I'll be there this year but unfortunately won't be going to Serbia but next time could well be next year. LOL. Do you want to show me around? ;)

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
I want to visit Belgrade and Novi Sad next time I'm in Europe. Well I'll be there this year but unfortunately won't be going to Serbia but next time could well be next year. LOL. Do you want to show me around? ;)

:lol:

Sure, it would be my pleasure to show you around Belgrade ;)

Halepsova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
Since when Belgrade is the party capital of Europe? I thought Berlin is. :confused:

Sean.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:36 PM

Are you kidding me? She's stunning!

Since when Belgrade is the party capital of Europe? I thought Berlin is. :confused:

I hear it's Kraków!

Hoping to do a tour of Eastern Europe next year, to see some more of the continent before it develops too much. Luckily there seems to be a network of guides on TF! :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:24 AM
I hear it's Kraków!

Hoping to do a tour of Eastern Europe next year, to see some more of the continent before it develops too much. Luckily there seems to be a network of guides on TF! :lol:

http://societeperrier.com/london/articles/stylish-belgrade-is-fast-becoming-europes-party-capital/

http://www.mothertrip.com/10-best-night-life-cities/

As Alan from the Boston Legal would say - "We are No1, we are No1..."
:oh:

Mixal
Apr 5th, 2012, 11:24 PM

You don't have to worry about that :lol:

I visited Serbia some 10 years ago and I prefered Novi Sad to Belgrade. Probably because I'm not a fan of accordions i pevaljki :p

ivanban
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:01 PM
You don't have to worry about that :lol:

I visited Serbia some 10 years ago and I prefered Novi Sad to Belgrade. Probably because I'm not a fan of accordions i pevaljki :p

Maybe you should come during Belgrade Calling Fest :scratch:

http://www.belgradecalling.com/

cSYqdIhwfPM#!

Or next month for Sensation :hearts:

4woJW0A5BXs

Sammo
Apr 6th, 2012, 10:08 PM

I thought Prague was

Mynarco
Apr 6th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I want to go to Exit Festival this year :sobbing:

Princeza
Apr 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Great city, can't wait to go back :inlove:

Bart
Nov 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
I remembered there was a thread about this, so I'm going to bump this one.

So I'm planning to visit Belgrade and Novi Sad next Spring. I've been doing some research about places to stay (I'm currently thinking about Hotel Moskva in Belgrade), things to do/visit,... If anyone has suggestions, please let me know, everything is welcome. Thanks!:)

ivanban
Nov 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I remembered there was a thread about this, so I'm going to bump this one.

So I'm planning to visit Belgrade and Novi Sad next Spring. I've been doing some research about places to stay (I'm currently thinking about Hotel Moskva in Belgrade), things to do/visit,... If anyone has suggestions, please let me know, everything is welcome. Thanks!:)

POSH :oh:

Cajka
Nov 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I visited Serbia some 10 years ago and I prefered Novi Sad to Belgrade.

This deserves a good rep. :worship: :oh:

Bart
Nov 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM
POSH :oh:

The hotel looks amazing and it seems to be very well located too. But if you know something better, feel free to say ;)

I will most probably go on my own. It will be my first solo trip in my life, it's quite scary, but I've heard lots of possitive things about it so I will give it a try.

Wert.
Nov 24th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Huh

Cajka
Nov 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
The hotel looks amazing and it seems to be very well located too. But if you know something better, feel free to say ;)

I will most probably go on my own. It will be my first solo trip in my life, it's quite scary, but I've heard lots of possitive things about it so I will give it a try.

There's nothing to be scared of. That hotel is in a city center, it's a perfect location for someone who's never been in Belgrade. It's also good that you chose to visit it during the spring because the summer heats in Belgrade are horrible.

Bart
Nov 24th, 2012, 08:41 PM
There's nothing to be scared of. That hotel is in a city center, it's a perfect location for someone who's never been in Belgrade. It's also good that you chose to visit it during the spring because the summer heats in Belgrade are horrible.

Yes, I would totally melt away in the summer :sobbing:

But I'm still not sure if I should take a hotel in Belgrade or one in Novi Sad though. I'm thinking about visiting Subotica as well. So when I stay in NS, I'm like in the middle of the 3 cities I'd like to visit. And also, Novi Sad looks like a lovely city to stay in. What do you think?

Princeza
Nov 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Belgrade is million times better than Novi Sad. Even Sresmki Karlovci is better than Novi Sad.

ivanban
Nov 24th, 2012, 10:33 PM

But I'm still not sure if I should take a hotel in Belgrade or one in Novi Sad though. I'm thinking about visiting Subotica as well. So when I stay in NS, I'm like in the middle of the 3 cities I'd like to visit. And also, Novi Sad looks like a lovely city to stay in. What do you think?

There's something to see in Subotica?! :unsure:

JJ Expres
Nov 24th, 2012, 10:49 PM
There's something to see in Subotica?! :unsure:

Subotica is actually really nice city,and you can always go to palic lake and zoo from there :shrug:

JJ Expres
Nov 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM

I'm not sure about that idea. Public transport in Serbia is really really slow + it's quite expensive at least for us, it's like 5euros in one direction from Belgrade to Novi Sad(people who live there correct me if i'm wrong). And Subotica is not that big anyway,you might spent 2 days max there (if you go to Palic as well). On your place i would book 2 hotels/motels, one in Belgrade one in Novi Sad just because of our poor transport :shrug:

ivanban
Nov 25th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Subotica is actually really nice city,and you can always go to palic lake and zoo from there :shrug:

Oh yeah, Palic is nice :yeah:

Cajka
Nov 25th, 2012, 01:12 AM

You should stay in both towns for few days. Traveling from Novi Sad to Belgrade is not the best option. I don't know about Subotica, I was there twice, it's a nice town, similar to Novi Sad, but smaller. You can contact me if you need a help when you decide to visit Novi Sad. How many days will you spend in Serbia?

Cajka
Nov 25th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I'm not sure about that idea. Public transport in Serbia is really really slow + it's quite expensive at least for us, it's like 5euros in one direction from Belgrade to Novi Sad(people who live there correct me if i'm wrong). And Subotica is not that big anyway,you might spent 2 days max there (if you go to Palic as well). On your place i would book 2 hotels/motels, one in Belgrade one in Novi Sad just because of our poor transport :shrug:

If he can afford staying in Moskva, 6-7 euros is not an issue, I guess. :lol:

tennisbum79
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:04 AM

Serbia football especially, it is the news again.

I read one article which claim because Serbian rarely takes action against racist acts, racism has become part of fan culture

tennisbum79
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Oh yeas, we are all the same in Eastern Europe :lol: Now how is that called? :p
I have a lot of black (PC - Afroamerican) friends here in Belgrade...I spend a lot of time with them, and I have never seen them having any problem 'cause of their skin. :shrug:

Do it! I was in Skopje few times...had a lot of fun, but I will never understand why do the cities in region like Skopje, Zagreb (don't get me started about Ljubljana) die in the evening :scratch: Belgrade is 00-24...and it's most alive during the night :bounce:

this is not about you, the poster, despite your name.

Cajka
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Serbia football especially, it is the news again.

I read one article which claim because Serbian rarely takes action against racist acts, racism has become part of fan culture

Screw the articles you read, let's use some common sense here, does it make any sense that Serbs hate black people, for example? There's a certain amount of hate between Serbs and Croats, Serbs and Albanians, but it's something else. Sadly, it exists for centuries already and it brought us nothing but pain and misery, but Serbs being racists? Give me a break.

Mynarco
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Is that dratted Turkish Airlines ad still on the facade of a building at Slavija Sq?

And has the renovation of St. Sava church finished?

tennisbum79
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Screw the articles you read, let's use some common sense here, does it make any sense that Serbs hate black people, for example? There's a certain amount of hate between Serbs and Croats, Serbs and Albanians, but it's something else. Sadly, it exists for centuries already and it brought us nothing but pain and misery, but Serbs being racists? Give me a break.

You obviously have not been following the latest racist scuffles between England and Serbia.
Apparently,it has gotten so bad that FPA chief is calling for a ban of Serbia from international football

azdaja
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:54 AM
You obviously have not been following the latest racist scuffles between England and Serbia.
Apparently,it has gotten so bad that FPA chief is calling for a ban of Serbia from international football
such incidents happen in many countries in eastern and southern europe but they don't happen in every game, plus there are black players playing in serbian football and basketball clubs, so it definitely isn't as bad as you seem to think. how can someone compare hooligans and the rest of any country is beyond me.

and i don't understand the way some black people think about racism in eastern europe. people in eastern europe are not very politically correct but they didn't colonise africa or enslave black people. they never had instituional racism and the contact with black people was limited. to the extent that problems exist it's ignorance rather than hate. white people in europe frequently hate other white people from europe (because of their nationality) more than they hate black people. and generally (even in western europe) black people are hated far, far less than muslims.

Yes, I've been told that public transport in Serbia isn't the best. It's a shame because I like travelling by train :(
forget trains when in serbia. they are not very good. buses are the best way to move between cities. and public transport in serbia is not expensive at all if you come from western europe.

subotica and palic are alright but too small to keep you busy. you might want to visit nis in the south. i mean, belgrade is so central that everything in serbia is kinda close. there are also things outside of cities that are worth visiting, noteably the iron gate in the east, so see if you can get an organised tour by bus or boat there.

McPie
Nov 25th, 2012, 11:03 AM
me also , but couldn't be possibly in 10 years I believe :lol:

Bart
Nov 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM
forget trains when in serbia. they are not very good. buses are the best way to move between cities. and public transport in serbia is not expensive at all if you come from western europe.

subotica and palic are alright but too small to keep you busy. you might want to visit nis in the south. i mean, belgrade is so central that everything in serbia is kinda close. there are also things outside of cities that are worth visiting, noteably the iron gate in the east, so see if you can get an organised tour by bus or boat there.

Yeah, Nis, it's quite far from Belgrade imo. I tend to stay in the north, so I'll leave this city for another time :p

tennisbum79
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:17 PM
such incidents happen in many countries in eastern and southern europe but they don't happen in every game, plus there are black players playing in serbian football and basketball clubs, so it definitely isn't as bad as you seem to think. how can someone compare hooligans and the rest of any country is beyond me.

and i don't understand the way some black people think about racism in eastern europe. people in eastern europe are not very politically correct but they didn't colonise africa or enslave black people. they never had instituional racism and the contact with black people was limited. to the extent that problems exist it's ignorance rather than hate. white people in europe frequently hate other white people from europe (because of their nationality) more than they hate black people. and generally (even in western europe) black people are hated far, far less than Muslims.

I am not the one who think it is as bad, it is the FPA chief who does and want Serbia banned from international football.

Interesting that you think black people should mute their reaction to acts of racism directed at them, because there are other groups hated than them.

To your credit, you acknowledge it is exists, unlike the other 2 Serbian posters who categorically
who categorically deny the existence of racism.

The Serbian coach, at the end England-Serbia match, went to the English locker room to offer his apology on the behalf of his team, but the FSS, the Serbian football association is still livid that any accident happened

JJ Expres
Nov 25th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I can't wait to move out from this country i don't like it and don't like regular people who are living here, i usually agree with a lot of negative things that i hear about serbian people but saying that racism is rampant here is a huge lie.

azdaja
Nov 25th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, Nis, it's quite far from Belgrade imo. I tend to stay in the north, so I'll leave this city for another time :p
it's just 2 and a half hours away from belgrade, subotica isn't much closer. it's just a suggestion. it's much different from the north and therefore interesting. to be fair, i visited it on my way to bulgaria.

I am not the one who think it is as bad, it is the FPA chief who does and want Serbia banned from international football.

Interesting that you think black people should mute their reaction to acts of racism directed at them, because there are other groups hated than them.
where did i say that black people should "mute" their reaction to anything? :rolleyes: i said that they need to distinguish bewteen ignorance and hate. in case you don't get it, some blonde white people told me they had unpleasant experiences in china. was that because of supposed chinese sense of supremacy over white people? you need to distinguish between sheer ignorance and hate. you react to hate fiercely and rightly so. you don't react to ignorance like that, you try to educate people.

my complaint is that some black people believe that all racists of the world are like the ones they know from the us. urm, no. you seem to be more prejudiced against serbians than they are against black people. according to your logic you are are yourself racist.

To your credit, you acknowledge it is exists, unlike the other 2 Serbian posters who categorically
who categorically deny the existence of racism.

The Serbian coach, at the end England-Serbia match, went to the English locker room to offer his apology on the behalf of his team, but the FSS, the Serbian football association is still livid that any accident happened
i don't know about that accident but you do know that football hooligans are not really a representative group anywhere in europe? now, whether some country needs to face its problems as urgently as some others is another matter. which is why anti-croatian or anti-albanian prejudice has more urgency in serbia than any sort of prejudice against africans. if racist serbians (as well as their neighbours) learn that nationalistic prejudice against people who look like them is idiotic they will understand that thinking similar things about people who come from africa is equally stupid by the time africans arrive in huge numbers.

in addition, do you think it is a pleasant prejudice the one that you yourslef hold against serbians? i mean about being nationalists and racists. in addition to being warriors, killers and rapists? or the racist prejudice against muslims which declares them religious fanatics per definition? if so, what do you complain about?

tennisbum79
Nov 25th, 2012, 08:25 PM
it's just 2 and a half hours away from belgrade, subotica isn't much closer. it's just a suggestion. it's much different from the north and therefore interesting. to be fair, i visited it on my way to bulgaria.

where did i say that black people should "mute" their reaction to anything? :rolleyes: i said that they need to distinguish bewteen ignorance and hate. in case you don't get it, some blonde white people told me they had unpleasant experiences in china. was that because of supposed chinese sense of supremacy over white people? you need to distinguish between sheer ignorance and hate. you react to hate fiercely and rightly so. you don't react to ignorance like that, you try to educate people.

my complaint is that some black people believe that all racists of the world are like the ones they know from the us. urm, no. you seem to be more prejudiced against serbians than they are against black people. according to your logic you are are yourself racist.

i don't know about that accident but you do know that football hooligans are not really a representative group anywhere in europe? now, whether some country needs to face its problems as urgently as some others is another matter. which is why anti-croatian or anti-albanian prejudice has more urgency in serbia than any sort of prejudice against africans. if racist serbians (as well as their neighbours) learn that nationalistic prejudice against people who look like them is idiotic they will understand that thinking similar things about people who come from africa is equally stupid by the time africans arrive in huge numbers.

in addition, do you think it is a pleasant prejudice the one that you yourslef hold against serbians? i mean about being nationalists and racists. in addition to being warriors, killers and rapists? or the racist prejudice against muslims which declares them religious fanatics per definition? if so, what do you complain about?
First, I meant to say incident, not accident.

I am sorry that you think that raising this issue is equivalent to being anti-Serbian.
So th FPA chief is also anti-serbian
this is the same reaction people encounter when they object to Israelis heavy handedness in Palestine.

As to my position prejudice against Muslims, I have also objected to it.
I do think in some other thread, you and I have been on the same side of the argument

azdaja
Nov 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM
First, I meant to say incident, not accident.

I am sorry that you think that raising this issue is equivalent to being anti-Serbian.
So th FPA chief is also anti-serbian
this is the same reaction people encounter when they object to Israelis heavy handedness in Palestine.

As to my position o prejudice, I have also objected to it.
I do think in some other thread, you and I have been on the same side.
i think you have no idea what you are talking about in this case. and you are raising it against people who have plenty of problems because they are supposedly especially hateful and even genocidal (meaning they are victims of racist prejudice themselves) which makes it especially idiotic. once you understand that we will be on the same side again. until then this was very stupid from you, period.

tennisbum79
Nov 25th, 2012, 08:51 PM
i think you have no idea what you are talking about in this case. and you are raising it against people who have plenty of problems because they are supposedly especially hateful and even genocidal (meaning they are victims of racist prejudice themselves) which makes it especially idiotic. once you understand that we will be on the same side again. until then this was very stupid from you, period.

the incident I am talking about happened during England-Serbia under-21 football match.
The reporting from BBC and other news outlets suggest this is endemic to Serbian football fans.
Are you dis-associating the perpetrators ftrom the larger Serbian society?

If that is your point, it is a fair one as I have no evidence to the contrary.

azdaja
Nov 25th, 2012, 09:16 PM
the incident I am talking about happened during England-Serbia under-21 football match.
The reporting from BBC and other news outlets suggest this is endemic to Serbian football fans.
Are you dis-associating the perpetrators ftrom the larger Serbian society?

If that is your point, it is a fair one as I have no evidence to the contrary.
what hooligans from the region are throwing at one another :tape: but they don't represent the people.

The Witch-king
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:23 AM

What do you mean by this?

Mynarco
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:29 AM
As an Asian, I didn't get discriminated due to my race when visiting Belgrade. OTOH they were pretty curious about my presence in a friendly way.

ivanban
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Personally I have never seen anyone here in Belgrade treating any black or asian or whatever people with racist remarks :shrug: The only circle of people who seem to be doing it in Serbia are football/basketball/any team sport extreme wing fans/hooligans

Cajka
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
What do you mean by this?

not that racism ever makes sense, don't get me wrong, but it's less likely to happen in a country that hardly even has contacts with anyone except for people from Balkan. We have our other issues here on Balkan, many issues, trust me, racism is, thank God, not one of them.

Football fans are hooligans, criminals, the biggest trash and disgrace of Serbian society. It's disgusting, insulting and more than insensitive that tennisbum79 even brought them into this discussion. 13 years ago football "fans" killed a 10 yo child on a football match. Does it also mean that Serbs hate children?

And saying that I didn't hear about incidents on that match against England is hilarious, really. There's no person who lives in Serbia that hasn't heard about that.

Cajka
Nov 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM
and i don't understand the way some black people think about racism in eastern europe. people in eastern europe are not very politically correct but they didn't colonise africa or enslave black people. they never had instituional racism and the contact with black people was limited.

Don't forget that Slavs are also victims of white supremacy. Tennisbum79 complains about racism all the time, but at the same time he supports all the prejudices about Slavs, which were created by the very same societies that created the prejudices about black people. That's rich.

azdaja
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Don't forget that Slavs are also victims of white supremacy. Tennisbum97 complains about racism all the time, but at the same time he supports all the prejudices about Slavs, which were created by the very same societies that created the prejudices about black people. That's rich.
i wouldn't be so harsh but i agree that some black people need to understand that some white people are not as white as the others. it would be useful to see what plans more white people (germans) had for less white people (slavs) during the nazi rule (keyword "lebensraum"). bottomline, however, is that people are not born with racist prejudice, they need to learn it. and they only learn it if there is a contact + conflict situation. like slavery or colonialism. in order to rationalise them white supremacism was created. but people from eastern europe were not really a part of it. and white people are a real ethnic group in north america, south africa or australia but certainly not in europe where tens of millions of white people were killed by other white people in the 20th century alone.

anyway, all this is totally off-topic.

Cajka
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:07 PM
but people from eastern europe were not really a part of it.

half of them were busy being almost slaves themselves during that period... but we shouldn't go that far and speak about late middle ages, it could get confusing and we would have to explain that JJ is not from Ottoman Empire yet once again.

tennisbum79
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Don't forget that Slavs are also victims of white supremacy. Tennisbum79 complains about racism all the time, but at the same time he supports all the prejudices about Slavs, which were created by the very same societies that created the prejudices about black people. That's rich.
What prejudice have I supported?

Pointing out a paradox of some east European youth parading around with nazi flag in search of non-white isn't a prejudice, it is a paradox this youth copying the nazis who mistreated some of their parents. These are documented, but whenever they are brought, the standard retort and push-back is you don't know what you are talking about, every country does it, or a new one from you. screen the news reports where you read.

Never mind the story is relatively current, and UEFA was planning to hold hearing because they don't consider this as an isolated incident.
The Serbian coach went to the English team locker room to apologize to the team.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/21/serbia-cannot-condemn-racism

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/19/racism-unchallenged-serbian-establishment-football

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/17/uefa-serbia-international-ban-racism-england

Cajka
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:51 AM
What prejudice have I supported?

Pointing out a paradox of some east European youth parading around with nazi flag in search of non-white isn't a prejudice, it is a paradox this youth copying the nazis who mistreated some of their parents. These are documented, but whenever they are brought, the standard retort and push-back is you don't know what you are talking about, every country does it, or a new one from you. screen the news reports where you read.

Never mind the story is relatively current, and UEFA was planning to hold hearing because they don't consider this as an isolated incident.
The Serbian coach went to the English team locker room to apologize to the team.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/21/serbia-cannot-condemn-racism

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/19/racism-unchallenged-serbian-establishment-football

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/17/uefa-serbia-international-ban-racism-england

Why did you ignore all the posts that aždaja, ivanban and I made about football fans in Serbia? Selective reading? If you go to a football match in Serbia, you can get beaten up for cheering for the "wrong" club, you don't have to be black at all. A 10 yo Red Star fan got killed by football fans in 1999, did you miss that part? If some of the English players weren't black, those "fans" would find another way to insult them, it's just insulting for the sake of insulting, hating for the sake of hating, no deeper meaning there. I'm sure that the very same football "fans" who made this incidents worship other black players who play for their favorite club, they apparently have double standards.

And what prejudices? Well, a poster asked if there was a rampant racism in Serbia and you said "yes" and started talking about that football match incident as if it was a realistic picture of Serbian society, which is not true. You can say many things about Serbian people, but they don't hate other races, there's a certain amount of hate towards Albanians (because of Kosovo), towards Croats (two similar nations hating each others' guts since... well, forever), towards Americans (because of bombing), but towards black people...? That's insane. Of course, I disapprove every type of hate, but stop making it look worse than it already is. There are people who'd like to visit Belgrade, stop scaring them, they have nothing to be scared of.

And don't bother posting those links, it was in our news, nobody even tried to cover them or to defend those hooligans, most of the people in Serbia have the worst possible opinion about those idiots, for more than one reason.

azdaja
Nov 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Pointing out a paradox of some east European youth parading around with nazi flag in search of non-white isn't a prejudice
oh yes, it is a prejudice if you don't understand it. the ideology of european skinheads is not white supremacism but nationalism, meaning that they are not "in search of non-white" but against anything "alien". in case of football hooligans (who are not necessarily skinheads) they will find a way to throw abuse at you in all possible ways and not just because you are black. you can be white and in trouble when around them. skinheads and football hooligans are a tiny minority, though, most people hate them anyway and they can't do whatever they want because they will get arrested.

as for absurdities, in africa some black people also kill other black people because they belong to a different ethnic group. that's very much nazi-like, the only thing missing is a nazi flag.

it should be noted that a few days before the game you are posting about there was another football game where black players were present, serbia vs belgium, and nothing happened. so, it's not even at every game, only once in a while that such incidents happen. like in all places where such incidents happen. and it happens even in england, like this anti-semitic incident:

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2012/November/26/police-confirm-west-ham-arrests/

but that's "civilised" england, not "barbarian" serbia, so it doesn't make the same impact on your prejudiced brain.

and i seriously can't believe the direction this thread has taken :facepalm:

Sam L
Nov 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Next time I'm in Europe, I would love to visit: Serbia (Novi Sad especially), Hungary, Greece (Athens), Poland (Krakow) and Sweden (Stockholm). All for very different reasons.

Helen Lawson
Nov 27th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Next time I'm in Europe, I would love to visit: Serbia (Novi Sad especially), Hungary, Greece (Athens), Poland (Krakow) and Sweden (Stockholm). All for very different reasons.

Would love to go to all those places. Make a pilgrimage to Monica's old apartment and take a photo of the parking lot.

We're going to Lithuania for a week next summer.

MaBaker
Nov 28th, 2012, 10:15 AM
and i seriously can't believe the direction this thread has taken :facepalm:
Seriously...

_Zu_tkk9be0

<3

Cajka
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Seriously...

_Zu_tkk9be0

<3

It's a great video, makes you feel like Belgrade is dancing in front of you. Night pics of Belgrade are always the best ones, especially with this new bridge.

azdaja
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
i will add my pictures from belgrade :oh:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/onestupiddogg/serbia/IMG_1708.jpg

it's so difficult to make a great picture of the confluence of these 2 rivers and i really love the place, i have to find another one where i can see 2 really big rivers connecting. it makes belgrade so exceptional.

during this visit to the belgrade fortress i also saw 2 black guys wondering around, btw. they didn't seem to think they are in the enemy territory :shrug:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/onestupiddogg/serbia/IMG_3132.jpg

this was from another trip and from the other side of the river.

bulava
Dec 14th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I've been there (and to few places from former Czechoslovakia) twice when I was deputed to a Zurich lab few times. In my experience, I know some of the folks from former Yugoslavia. They are damn good Doctors/Engineers. One of my all-time favorites is not from the Tennis world. He is a legend, and believe me without his contributions it's quite hard to imagine our world (progress).

http://web.mit.edu/most/www/ser/Tesla1/tsl0.jpg

Could you (or anyone) name this man? :)

Sam L
Dec 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I've been there (and to few places from former Czechoslovakia) twice when I was deputed to a Zurich lab few times. In my experience, I know some of the folks from former Yugoslavia. They are damn good Doctors/Engineers. One of my all-time favorites is not from the Tennis world. He is a legend, and believe me without his contributions it's quite hard to imagine our world (progress).

http://web.mit.edu/most/www/ser/Tesla1/tsl0.jpg

Could you (or anyone) name this man? :)

Tesla. I was reading about him before, I can't remember why.

Mynarco
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I went cycling once along Belgrade :lol: From the fortress and the tennis court all the way to the Artifical beach.

bulava
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Tesla. I was reading about him before, I can't remember why.
Right, he is none other than Nikola Tesla :)
Perhaps you read about Tesla Museum (in New York) global fund raising, it was recently in news. I participated in that.
=> teslasciencecenter.org