PDA

View Full Version : The Enigma of Caro Haters

tkutsaar
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:06 AM
Ever since I joined this board I’ve been constantly astonished at the hatred and animus directed by what seems like a majority of members on this board towards Caroline Wozniacki. Why one time in a thread I saw one poster proclaim with evident pride that he/she was a Caro hater long before it became fashionable to be one. (BTW I have to say he/she as I can no longer recall the moniker of this disdainful member)

Surely there is no denying that Caroline Wozniacki is an attractive person, with a winning public persona and is very successful at her sport; and yet she seems to be reviled by apparently as I said a majority on this board. But it is not only this board that does not respect her but it is the tennis establishment as well. Typically, I recall one match in this year’s AO (possibly the first match against a lamentable opponent-whose identity, I’m too lazy to look up and ascertain) where Chris Evert went on and on pointing out the deficiencies in Caro’s game. Even Chris became eventually aware that she was going overboard on her negativity as she had to sheepishly acknowledge that Caro was having no problem in this match and was winning handily.

The disdain by the expert television tennis commentators for Caro was very evident this week in her two matches against Serena and Maria. You could sense that in the Serena match there was high expectation for Serena to prevail to set up a highly anticipated Maria and Serena confrontation. (On this board in the prediction thread; I believe that over 80% of the respondents expected Serena to prevail).

During this match, there was virtually no comment lauding any of the points won by Caro. Yes I know Serena hit a ton of UEs traditionally leaving little scope for praise, but I maintain most of those UEs were as a result of Caro returning balls that would have been winners against most players on the tour. Rarely was one of Serena’s UE a real gift to Caro. Much was made that Serena played poorly but I did not see that. Caro simply won because she was the better player.

Now in the Maria match, there was no such a prior consensus that Maria would automatically prevail. I guess most commentators would recall Caro’s convincing wins against Maria in the ’10 USO and ’11 IW, and hence the prior unpredictability. Still there was the feeling that the match was on Maria’s racquet. And Maria did play well and ergo won the match. Still though it was a three setter; a very close match. Again no one noticed Caro’s grit in that she was behind two service breaks in each set and still made a contest of it.

I truly think the Maria match together with the Serena match should put paid to the notion that Caro cannot win a slam. The knock against Caro is that she will not win a slam because power players like those two would blow her out of the court. As the Maria match proves Caro is difficult to defeat even when holding a two service breaks advantage. I would also like to point out that Caro was career victories against every current slam title holder. I’m convinced by this time next year Caro will have a slam victory under her belt; most likely either the USO or the AO.

One final thing for you Caro haters to ponder: when I started to watch the Caro-Serena match a factoid was revealed that I had not previously been aware of. Caro’s 67 weeks as No 1 is more than half the total of Serena’s time as No 1 of 123 weeks. And Serena has been year-end No 1 twice- a total ready matched by Caro. Of course this is probably an apples to oranges argument and I am not suggesting Caro is in Serena’s league- certainly not yet. Still this does suggest that Caro is not a schlep that you haters make her out to be.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:11 AM
:lol:

Why does she has so many haters (as you say, I would say that people here find her quite irrelevant :shrug: ) if she the case is that - "Surely there is no denying that Caroline Wozniacki is an attractive person, with a winning public"?

NashaMasha
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:21 AM
Wozniacki is a Klitchko in tennis , absolutely not interesting to watch her play at all. She is not entertaining as her tennis is poor

Fans are not watching the scoreboard , but watching the play on the court

Pops Maellard
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:28 AM
She does have a fan forum you know? :confused:

NashaMasha
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:31 AM
She does have a fan forum you know? :confused:

She is pretty girl , of course she can have a number of fans

but not fans of her tennis :)

I know they won't agree with me ;) but it's true

As the Maria match proves Caro is difficult to defeat even when holding a two service breaks advantage.
not at all , for Masha is always harder win her serve when score is 5-1 than 6-5 on tiebreak )) Masha should be in a very tough fight so not to lose concentraction
same problem is with 40-0 on her serve.

PMBH
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:27 AM
She is pretty girl , of course she can have a number of fans

but not fans of her tennis :)

I know they won't agree with me ;) but it's true

Of course her fans like the way she's playing! Personally, I think the most watchable tennis games are between two players where one has a great aggressive game and the other one is a great counterpuncher. That's why Caro's matches against players like Serena, Sharapova and Kvitova are always excellent entertainment.

OP, the hatred towards Caro only has one reason: her massive success over the past few years. Now that she's experiencing a slump the bias against her is not nearly as strong as before. Vika is the next target for TF's many bitter members...

RenaSlam.
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:29 AM
You talking bout Bitchniacki? :speakles:

Utterchaos
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:32 AM
Her game is boring (just keep the ball in play...), even in her "convincing" wins against big players, she doesn't do much, just let them self destruct on their own UE. People like seeing aggressive tennis and screaming winners, not endless rallying and high balls.

Her personality is also fake, created by her PR team. Everyone cries about Serena being a bitch, but Wozniacki is no different, she just says a couple of sweet words in broken English and the media is on the hook.

SilverPersian
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:41 AM
If your goal is to reduce the amount of bilge directed towards Woz in TF, starting a topic like this was the worst thing you could have possibly done.

LoveMeansZero
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:56 AM
But it is not only this board that does not respect her but it is the tennis establishment as well.

You answered your own question right there. If the disapproval is so unanimous, it obviously means there is something wrong with her game, that doesn't justify her successes. As the saying goes: "there is no smoke without fire". If there were real talent, it would be obvious to all as well.

NashaMasha
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:04 AM
That's why Caro's matches against players like Serena, Sharapova and Kvitova are always excellent entertainment.

excellent because of Sharapova and her 50 Winners, not because her opponent is collecting her UE in points

News editors sometimes can hardly find any rally with Wozniacki winner to put it in the highlights of the match)))

ranfurly
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:29 AM
If your goal is to reduce the amount of bilge directed towards Woz in TF, starting a topic like this was the worst thing you could have possibly done.

Pretty Much,

Any attention you draw on here in regards to her only snowballs the issue at hand.

faboozadoo15
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:50 AM
I think it has a lot to do with her talent not justifying her success, her ridiculous amount of weeks at #1 without even making a major final, her relentless grapple on the #1 ranking when she barely has top 10 game. People aren't excited to watch her play unless she's playing a huge star-- that says it all really. Her personality also comes off as very contrived and fake. She's also ubiquitous and replaceable.

What else do you need?

tkutsaar
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:08 AM
OK haters suppose I do concede her game is boring but I maintain that is not a compelling reason to hate her. And this rationale seems only to exist in women’s tennis and is an incomprehensible emotion in any other sport. Let me give an example from American football and for those of you unfamiliar with the sport bear with me as I think you’ll still understand my argument.

The Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl one year despite playing the most unexciting football imaginable. Their quarterback, the most important position on any football team was conceded to be mediocre at best, and probably wouldn’t be first string on most of the other teams in the league. Their strength was their defense as they sure did not have an offense that would scare you; sound familiar.

The fans of the opposing teams did not hate the Ravens; they just wanted their team to beat the Ravens. If the Ravens prevailed the opposing fans did not bellyache that the Ravens played an unexciting brand of football. If their team did beat the Ravens those fans did not feel it was justification that their team had a superior style of play; those fans were just grateful that their team was able to outplay the Ravens.

And yet in women’s tennis the consensus seems that Caro has no skills to speak of. She cannot win; she has to rely on her opponents to give the game to her. One of the most ubiquitous comments I heard made by the various television commentators during the time Caro was No 1 went something like this: “It’s not Caro’s fault that Serena and Clijsters are injured and no one has risen to the top to play tennis consistently like her.”

I recall once that Andrea Petkovic in an interview praised Caro and suggested she was a very strong player very difficult to beat. Considering the reaction on this forum to those comments one would have thought Andrea had spouted out some dreadful heresy. So strong has been Wozniacki phobia that even I’m taken by surprise when some tennis pundit actually lauds her. This happened once when I was watching a match between Kanepi and the Woz on streaming ESPN3. The commentator, whose name I did not catch, listed all the strengths that Caro possesses as a player and I was just amazed as I simply had not heard the same articulated before.

I had one Caro hater in another thread, once with serious and apparently authentic conviction opine that it is much more important how a point is won than to win the point. Such sentiment logically may explain the hatred but it ignores the fact that tennis is an objective sport with no bonuses given to artistic merit. An UE counts the same as a Winner.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:11 AM
I think it has a lot to do with her talent not justifying her success, her ridiculous amount of weeks at #1 without even making a major final, her relentless grapple on the #1 ranking when she barely has top 10 game. People aren't excited to watch her play unless she's playing a huge star-- that says it all really. Her personality also comes off as very contrived and fake. She's also ubiquitous and replaceable.

What else do you need?

THIS

miffedmax
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:12 AM
A lot of people weren't here for or appear to have forgotten the prime Serena/Henin hating years.

(And I myself missed the peak Williams/Hingis/JCap hating years).

Now that was some professional, industrial-strength hating.
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/countygrind/pimped-out-chappelle1.jpg

I mean the kind of hatin' where we had to call in U.N. Peacekeepers, the SCLC, Italian Anti-defamation League, Doctors Without Borders, and the Dalai Lama.

Utterchaos
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:19 AM
OK haters suppose I do concede her game is boring but I maintain that is not a compelling reason to hate her. And this rationale seems only to exist in women’s tennis and is an incomprehensible emotion in any other sport. Let me give an example from American football and for those of you unfamiliar with the sport bear with me as I think you’ll still understand my argument.

The Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl one year despite playing the most unexciting football imaginable. Their quarterback, the most important position on any football team was conceded to be mediocre at best, and probably wouldn’t be first string on most of the other teams in the league. Their strength was their defense as they sure did not have an offense that would scare you; sound familiar.

The fans of the opposing teams did not hate the Ravens; they just wanted their team to beat the Ravens. If the Ravens prevailed the opposing fans did not bellyache that the Ravens played an unexciting brand of football. If their team did beat the Ravens those fans did not feel it was justification that their team had a superior style of play; those fans were just grateful that their team was able to outplay the Ravens.

And yet in women’s tennis the consensus seems that Caro has no skills to speak of. She cannot win; she has to rely on her opponents to give the game to her. One of the most ubiquitous comments I heard made by the various television commentators during the time Caro was No 1 went something like this: “It’s not Caro’s fault that Serena and Clijsters are injured and no one has risen to the top to play tennis consistently like her.”

I recall once that Andrea Petkovic in an interview praised Caro and suggested she was a very strong player very difficult to beat. Considering the reaction on this forum to those comments one would have thought Andrea had spouted out some dreadful heresy. So strong has been Wozniacki phobia that even I’m taken by surprise when some tennis pundit actually lauds her. This happened once when I was watching a match between Kanepi and the Woz on streaming ESPN3. The commentator, whose name I did not catch, listed all the strengths that Caro possesses as a player and I was just amazed as I simply had not heard the same articulated before.

I had one Caro hater in another thread, once with serious and apparently authentic conviction opine that it is much more important how a point is won than to win the point. Such sentiment logically may explain the hatred but it ignores the fact that tennis is an objective sport with no bonuses given to artistic merit. An UE counts the same as a Winner.

I didn't read the wall of text about the American football because neither myself nor does anyone outside of US cares for it, but I can agree with opinion of a person who sad that HOW you win a point is important. Why? Because I watch tennis for entertainment. How you win a point might not matter to a pro tennis player, but it matters to public. Why do you think Federer is so popular? Because outside of his achievements he plays an aesthetically pleasing game and creates magic on the court.

That is the biggest problem with Wozniacki's game. She has no flair and no matter how much you try to like her, her game is so mind numbingly boring and frustrating that you want to turn the match off. I can't understand how she has any fans at all, that don't come from Denmark. I've NEVER seen a former #1 whose matches were always on her opponent's racquet...even if she played a defensive minded players.

tkutsaar
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:20 AM

Actually to tell the truth my goal is to attract even more bilge as I find the same terribly amusing.

Hurley
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:20 AM
blah blah blah

I learned in kindergarten that not everyone likes what I like. I got over it.

Looks like it takes some people longer.

ranfurly
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:24 AM

Pretty much.

I find it fickle how everyone comes up with excuses as to how they justify their angst against her.

How you find her game shouldn't channel that through to Caro as a person.

and yeah, screw reading that post, Just about fell asleep with the waffle.

Alejandrawrrr
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:25 AM

re: This quote, especially the bolded. Now you're talking about two different things. Indeed, Caro's "wait for an UE"/'pushing' style is efficient, particularly on this generally lackluster era of Women's tennis. She's got X amount of weeks as #1, all these titles, is still top 5 I think, etc. But here's the interesting part: We are not obligated to like a player just because they are successful. No one dislikes Caro because her game is efficient, they dislike her because her matches are painful to watch, uneventful, just not exciting unless the OTHER player is bringing on the exciting shotmaking. In general, tennis fans just don't like her style. If there was a player who got to #1 by jumping her opponents in the locker room before matches and forcing them to give a walkover would you say "A walkover counts the same as a win, stop hatin" :confused: Whether or not her style is efficient is irrelevant.

Pvt. Kovalenko
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:32 AM
6865168 different threads, like this one, about the same thing is not going to help her popularity around here, very much..

faboozadoo15
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:35 AM
:haha: What an analogy!

It needs to be said that the Caro "hate" pales in comparison to what went back and forth for Serena/Henin/Capriati/Hingis an Maria when she was first starting out. And all of these players are more interesting and entertaining than Wozniacki could ever dream of being.

miffedmax
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:37 AM
^^^Kids these days.

faboozadoo15
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:55 AM
Jelena Jankovic also plays a counter-punching style, but I find her tennis 10X as entertaining. Her personality doesn't hurt either. She got to #1 without winning a major but doesn't have the same amount of haters or detractors. So I think there are a lot of valid points in this thread.

To be honest, I don't really "hate" Caro at all. I don' like her tennis, think she overachieved, and she was always in the way.

perseus2006
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:23 AM
I think the Hate On Woz is a relic of Serenka and Richard's character assasination of slamless Dinara who had the gall to occupy the #1 Rank when Serenka so desperately wanted it. It was a months long campaign of denigrating Safina and all her accomplishments and the source of the "True #1" bullshit. It was the most disgusting period in the history of sport. All because of the hubris of the vain glorious Serenka. This is the episode that finally turned me completely off the WS and nearly every single utterance Serenka makes convinces me she is not worthy of my support. But she has a huge fan base that support everything she does.

Anyway, Serenka never did win the #1 Rank over Safina. Safina got a lower back injury that eventually put her out of the sport. But the concept of a slamless #1 Ranked player became a horror not to be accepted, an unnatural condition to be despised.

I disagree with posters that say Woz's game is boring. I never thought Hingis was boring either, nor JJ, nor ARad, etc. She plays a solid game and power players, like my favorate Pova, had better be on their toes when they play her.

edificio
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:41 AM
I think the Hate On Woz is a relic of Serenka and Richard's character assasination of slamless Dinara who had the gall to occupy the #1 Rank when Serenka so desperately wanted it. It was a months long campaign of denigrating Safina and all her accomplishments and the source of the "True #1" bullshit. It was the most disgusting period in the history of sport. All because of the hubris of the vain glorious Serenka. This is the episode that finally turned me completely off the WS and nearly every single utterance Serenka makes convinces me she is not worthy of my support. But she has a huge fan base that support everything she does.

Anyway, Serenka never did win the #1 Rank over Safina. Safina got a lower back injury that eventually put her out of the sport. But the concept of a slamless #1 Ranked player became a horror not to be accepted, an unnatural condition to be despised.

I disagree with posters that say Woz's game is boring. I never thought Hingis was boring either, nor JJ, nor ARad, etc. She plays a solid game and power players, like my favorate Pova, had better be on their toes when they play her.

You need to get out more. Sport is filled with a lot of questionable stuff, but most disgusting period in all sport? Come on, now. :rolleyes:

Also, Richard said he liked Safina's game. He never denigrated her. Also, Dinara, like other slamless no. 1s, received criticism from tennis journalists in general. It did not happen just because Serena pointed out that she had won Madrid and Rome. Any no. 1 in tennis who has not won a slam will get asked "when will you win a slam?" That's just the way it is.

perseus2006
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:11 AM
Interesting historical rewrite, edificio.

Tennis Observer
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:12 AM
[...] Rarely was one of Serena’s UE a real gift to Caro. Much was made that Serena played poorly but I did not see that. Caro simply won because she was the better player.
Serena Williams to the press after she lost her QF: (http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Serena-Williams-27-March.aspx)
The good thing is I could've played a lot better. I probably played about 20%. You know, it would really suck and if I had to sit here and say I couldn't do any better. That's not the case.

Why do you say you played 20%?
I just made a lot of errors. I just made a tremendous amount of errors. There's no reason for that. I'm older and I shouldn't do that. There's no excuse. I just gotta stop that. It's silly.

Now in the Maria match, [...]. Still there was the feeling that the match was on Maria’s racquet.
I looked at prediction thread (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=21177587) before the match started (Maria recieved additional votes after she won) and saw a 51:49 in favour of Ms Sunshine and these comments:
Trash her Caro, you just beat a much better player, if Caro plays well she will win this with EASE. [...]
Please win Caro :unsure: We can't have THAT final again :unsure:
Maria needs to win Miami to prove her ranking.
Caroline should win fairly comfortably […]
Sharapova has not been serving well, and I think the Woz will frustrate the hell out of her […]
Caroline will win. But a final azarenka-maria with azarenka trashing her would be fun :oh:
agree with this :lol:
Oh, I am 100% confident Goatniacki will win. Even if Maria managed to reproduce her GOATly AO08 form, I doubt it would've been good enough to get Maria more than 6 games against the Woz of tonight. […]
It's so surprising to see people cheering on Wozniacki. :eek: […]
Its not so much cheering on its more accepting the inevetable.
[…] Wozniacki showed she was playing at a pretty high level today. Sharapova showed nothing of the sort against Li. […]
Goatniacki easily. Ain't gonna be a pretty match.
Maria has been playing shitty in Miami.
Caro is so winning this. :sad:
I'd say Caro is a slight favorite because it's on HC but I think it'll be tighter than IW last year.
woz played better tennis in this tournament than sharapova.
Maria wont be agressive enough and will probably play the same game that she's been playing during this whole event. Serve will, of course, completely leave her since it's an important stage and she'll probably grind with Wozniacki until she makes an error. […]
~*Princess Karolina*~, something like 2 and 3. Martha simply unable to hit through Wozniacka from the baseline the way former tennis professional ReeRee still managed to do on occasion, and just spinning in all her serves and having to rally for each and every point on a slow ass court such as this one - this is going to be really ugly.
Maria is going to put in a fantabulously shitty performance, so Fedniacki will prob win this.
caro 6-3 6-4

reason
a) she has been to consistent in this tournament 4 maria's nightmare periods (2-3 games)
b) playing on this level that she has been playing in miami, she will just force errors from maria
c) and not to mention in maria's serve breakes down :o

money on caro, if u ask me :haha:
I have a feeling DFandERRORpova is going to show up. Caro is coming off a big confidence boost. Caro in 3 for me.
I hope Wozniacki - if there's one player that wouldn't drop her level in tight moments against the vulture Pova it's probably her.
Caro doesn't need 3 sets to dispose of DFandERRORpova.
Caro can win that UEPova in 2 easy sets
To be honest, Maria has to play well to win. So, the question is, can she deliver? I doubt that she can. It will most probably be a bad quality match, wich Maria will be all to egar to destroy in her own DF UE trashy way, like IW from last year. :lol:
Caro destroy this useless barbie girl..:)

After the match, this is what the loser had to say to the press (http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Caroline-Wozniacki-29-March.aspx) about Kader Nouni's overruling:
Does it make you feel better that the replay on television showed that the serve was actually on the line?
Sorry?

Does it make you feel better that the replay showed that Maria's serve at the end actually was on the line?
No, it doesn't. No, because I think when the ball is so close that I think he should give her a chance to challenge at least when I don't have any challenges.

BTW: Caroline Wozniacki walked off without shaking Nouni’s hand.

Brad[le]y.
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:16 AM
Some of those comments were sarcastic :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:18 AM
Jelena Jankovic also plays a counter-punching style, but I find her tennis 10X as entertaining. Her personality doesn't hurt either. She got to #1 without winning a major but doesn't have the same amount of haters or detractors. So I think there are a lot of valid points in this thread.

To be honest, I don't really "hate" Caro at all. I don' like her tennis, think she overachieved, and she was always in the way.

Really? Comparing Janković's game with Wozniacki's??? Jelena has one of the best BH's DTL in the game nowadays...and she knows to use her FH like a big attacking weapon. When she was No1 she was hitting like three times winners more than Wozniacki in her best days.

ranfurly
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:39 AM
Really? Comparing Janković's game with Wozniacki's??? Jelena has one of the best BH's DTL in the game nowadays...and she knows to use her FH like a big attacking weapon. When she was No1 she was hitting like three times winners more than Wozniacki in her best days.

One problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us, well it has for Jankovic ;)

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:42 AM
One problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us, well it has for Jankovic ;)

In that case it's good for you that you don't have any past to look into...nor the future for that matter ;)

stromatolite
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:14 AM
The bottom line is that Caro had the audacity to be relatively successful during a period when the most popular players (the ones with the most fanatical fanbases) were struggling. Not to say that there is no legitimate reason to criticise Caro, e.g. for not showing more aggression, for underperforming at slams, etc., but the rabidity, the volume and above all else the puzzling urgency of the bile directed at her can only be explained by the extreme bitterness of the fans of slumping and/or battle-weary divas.

TennisFan66
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:07 AM

+1 ..

Aside from being incredibly immature and so boring 'drama queen' from a lot of posters in GM, there's another amusing conundrum apparent in GM.

I am not a 'real' tennis fan, because,I like Caroline; incl her game style. I am just a fan boy - according to the The-Only-Way-Is-Power TF very loud screaming minority.

Yet those same people are some of the most fanatical 'fan boys and girls' on the forum. Completely wearing blinders and every opinion expressed is obviously formed due to whom the player is and not the issue at hand ...

But I am the 'fan boy', because I dare to like someone they don't :rolleyes: ..

bobito
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:49 AM
Because she became a symbol of an era of mediocrity in the women's game. People hated the quality of the tennis they were seeing and focused on a #1 ranked player of unconvincing credentials to vent that anger. Of course, if you were a fan of other players of her generation who were achieving even less, then her success also said something unpalatable about your own fave.

Matt01
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Wozniacki is a Klitchko in tennis , absolutely not interesting to watch her play at all. She is not entertaining as her tennis is poor

So according to you her tennis is "poor" but somehow she still made it to #1 in the rankings and finished there 2 years in a row, she won 5 Tier I tournaments in a row, just beat Serena Williams in one of the biggest tournaments on the tour...yeah right. :tape:

Mynarco
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Go out and enjoy the sunshine.

Matt01
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:23 AM
Some of those comments were sarcastic :lol:

And quoting posters like Corswandt, dsandersd and Pieter in this context does not really make much sense since they are among of the worst Caro haters on this forum. :rolleyes:

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:28 AM
She's blonde and has a fake game. It's very funny to punish her. :happy:

http://www.freewebs.com/pixiesfants/pennysmall.jpg

sammy01
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:43 AM
don't like her, don't like her tennis, enjoy having someone to root against (as well as my faves to root for obviously).

add to that some of her wins and achievements have been the most dependant on how her opponent plays out of any #1 ever just irks me.

also annoys me she has more weeks at number 1 than my fave kim, who is such a better player than caro.

Matt01
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:06 PM
also annoys me she has more weeks at number 1 than my fave kim

Oh, you're very bitter :hug:

sammy01
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Oh, you're very bitter :hug:

it is ok, kim has slams, YEC, miami and respect of commentators and tennis greats. i can live with woz's undeserving inflated weeks at number 1 knowing it will be her greatest achievement but also one she is laughed at for :)

Matt01
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:30 PM
it is ok, kim has slams, YEC, miami and respect of commentators and tennis greats. i can live with woz's undeserving inflated weeks at number 1 knowing it will be her greatest achievement but also one she is laughed at for :)

You mean just like Kim is laughed at for her pathetic chokes in her first career. :oh: Thankfully she still had her 2nd career where she was able to vulture through the weak Slam fields :hearts:

perseus2006
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:56 PM
I keep telling myself: Soon the Olympics will be over and the glory seeking Part Timers will be gone by the end of the year!!! Good riddence to all three.

Cajka
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Ever since I joined this board I’ve been constantly... making the threads like this one.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=431333&highlight=

Wasn't this enough? :help: More than 30 pages.

She's not #1 anymore, so she's really not that hated anymore. The most hated player atm is Vika. The hate for Caro was pretty much irrational, the playing style or being slamless is not the reason to bash a player SO MUCH, but I realized that it's how GM works and there's nothing to do about it. If you are too sensitive, avoid GM and post only in Sunshine's subforum.

Vuvurenka
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:24 PM
I understand your point OP, but the thing is almost every top player not just Caro have tons of haters who hate on the players for no exact reason/childish reasons, as if their lives depended on hating :shrug:

Mr.Sharapova
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:23 PM

What else do you need?

THIS. Preach it :worship:.

NashaMasha
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:50 PM
So according to you her tennis is "poor" but somehow she still made it to #1 in the rankings and finished there 2 years in a row, she won 5 Tier I tournaments in a row, just beat Serena Williams in one of the biggest tournaments on the tour...yeah right.

her results say nothing , Serena was just from the beach in Miami, untrained and without any comptetion practice.
Caro managed to gain everything possible after a number of players retired, injured or started to play rarely
But now , when Sharapova is back , Azarenka is self confident in her abilites there wiil be no easy draw for Caro any more

Corswandt
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:15 PM

Because you didn't hate them before. :lol:

Then again credit must be given to you for being one of the few posters who actually bothered to actively fight Willytard arrogance back in the dark days of Willytard dominance of GM (back then it was discussed quite often how Willytards treated GM as if it was their own private yard, and how the moderating team by and large seemed to be fine with their crassness).

Excelscior
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:33 PM
I didn't read the wall of text about the American football because neither myself nor does anyone outside of US cares for it, but I can agree with opinion of a person who sad that HOW you win a point is important. Why? Because I watch tennis for entertainment. How you win a point might not matter to a pro tennis player, but it matters to public. Why do you think Federer is so popular? Because outside of his achievements he plays an aesthetically pleasing game and creates magic on the court.

That is the biggest problem with Wozniacki's game. She has no flair and no matter how much you try to like her, her game is so mind numbingly boring and frustrating that you want to turn the match off. I can't understand how she has any fans at all, that don't come from Denmark. I've NEVER seen a former #1 whose matches were always on her opponent's racquet...even if she played a defensive minded players.

I'll clear it up for you. Don't worry.

They got it all wrong. Where do I start? Lol.

No one in America, or watching American football cared about the Baltimore Ravens (OP's example) enough, outside of their fans. No one. The team was utterly insignificant and forgettable. But they were extremely talented in defense and more than competent on offense; with a better running than passing game. So this comparison, and many others the OP made post, made no sense. Why hate the Ravens, unless your team were playing them that week?

Now, Joe Flacco, the Ravens quarterback, has been universally maligned as an average NFL quarter back; cause people don't think he's that good and boring (like it's been said about Caro). At the same time, Ray Rice, has been praised as a great NFL running back, cause he's very talented and produces; though running is considered less exciting than a passing quarterback on the whole for a team. But only respect for Ray.

You can also make an argument that great "defense", in American football, is more appreciated than great defense in tennis; cause they're a lot more moving parts and things happening, which makes it visually more exciting/fun to watch (i.e. a sack of a quarterback, etc.). So you can't even compare the two sports that way. Plus the Ravens were just better than Caro!!

Another reason why the Ravens were not "hated" as the poster stated/asked, was because they're a "team" with various individuals and personalities (who all belong to the same players Union and ultimate employer to boot). They're not one definitive personality in an individual sport, that can be easily defined like Caro and in Tennis. Big difference.

Corswandt
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:36 PM
News editors sometimes can hardly find any rally with Wozniacki winner to put it in the highlights of the match)))

This is undeniably very true.

faboozadoo15
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:44 PM

I was saying not all counter punchers are boring, and not all counter punchers are hated.

Excelscior
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:47 PM

What else do you need?

I think you summarized it pretty well here (as it's been pointed out). :) :devil: :)

I don't think it was ever personal for most, especially now that she's not number one or as consistent.

faboozadoo15
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:51 PM
So according to you her tennis is "poor" but somehow she still made it to #1 in the rankings and finished there 2 years in a row, she won 5 Tier I tournaments in a row, just beat Serena Williams in one of the biggest tournaments on the tour...yeah right. :tape:

Her tennis is EXTREMELY poor for someone who has 67 weeks at #1. I'd say her tennis is very poor for someone who has been ranked #1. I think most people would agree.

She's not as talented and entertaining as Ivanovic, Jankovic, even Safina.

faboozadoo15
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:53 PM
You mean just like Kim is laughed at for her pathetic chokes in her first career. :oh: Thankfully she still had her 2nd career where she was able to vulture through the weak Slam fields :hearts:

If Kim had weak slam fields, what were the fields like at Caro's premiers? You're such a moron. :help:

Bayo
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:07 PM

LOL. This forum is never wanting for wacko theories.

::

To the OP: I think most of it is a bandwagoning effect. But I'm a fan of Caroline and it's never phased me. I can even laugh at a lot of it. Although admittedly I don't take much of this seriously to begin with (see the crazy post I've quoted above, for example).

Matt01
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
You're such a moron. :help:

Morons are people who can't detect a joke when it's obvious...

her results say nothing

Oh, in that case her results and your posts have something in common. :)