PDA

View Full Version : What players sound articulate/intelligent , others not much so ?

LightWarrior
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I'd say Venus and Pova. Venus use words other players never use, you can tell the girl reads books ! And always in a smart/classy way.
Pova is pretty much the same.
Bartoli sounds intelligent, even though she's not a native English speaker.
Conversely Woz always sounds childish and awkward. And you can tell she's not very clever.

edificio
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:17 PM
To me Woz sounds very youthful. A kind of outgoing, jokey, pranky teenager.

If people are speaking a second language, I always assume they sound best in their native tongues, but I don't really know.

Vera comes off well-spoken and articulate, but not necessarily the most interesting speaker. Sveta, Sammy, Venus, Serena, Sharapova, Aga, etc., they are all well-spoken. Kim is a little bit repetitive, but, again, maybe in Dutch/Flemish she's not so. I don't know.

I think most of the players come off rather well in interviews, in keeping with their own personality.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Marion has 175 IQ :lol:

Sammo
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Ivanovic sounds absolutely retarded, Cirstea too. Not very surprising they're best friends

Petronius
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Aga and Petra should improve their English vocabulary.

Aga: You know, you know, you know...
Petra: I mean, I mean, I mean...

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I was always wondering how some girls can't "catch up on English" since they have to talk English most of the year. For God's sake my German is bad, but when I was in Berlin for one month it got really god :lol:

Wiggly
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:35 PM
It's hard to tell from the PR rehearsed BS they feed us in press conferences.

Many of them were home schooled, barely finished high school and haven't opened a book ever since.

killerqueen
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:09 AM
Unless the players are talking in their native tongues, I think it's pretty impossible to say. Some players sound postively stupid when answering questions in English, but I'm sure if they were responding to the same question in their natural language, they'd sound far more informed without the pressure of having to think of the correct English phrase for what they want to say.

That being said, I only speak English, and of the players who speak English as their first language, I always think that Venus sounds articulate and smart. :)

ranfurly
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:13 AM
Capriati I found came of daft and a few planks short of a wharf.

She never was the sharpest knife in the draw to start of with.

Queenpova
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:14 AM
Ivanovic sounds a little "special"

Dan_Doe
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:19 AM
Vika seems to be quite dumb sometimes. But what am I saying...I'm from the same country as Cirstea :facepalm:

Lord Choc Ice
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:03 AM
Venus is well-spoken but boring. Same with Maria when talking about tennis (of course get the subject away from tennis she's better :oh:).

chingching
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:54 AM
Ivanovic sounds absolutely retarded, Cirstea too. Not very surprising they're best friends

They speak good english, its just that in those regions, their letters are pronounced differently and they6 are taught english in a different way.

Utterchaos
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:27 AM
I like Sharapova's relentless sarcasm and Na Li's sense of humor.

Agree with OP as well. Wozniacki sounds like a nice, but not very bright girl.

faboozadoo15
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:55 AM
I think most of the women are well-spoken especially when you consider that English often isn't their first language. Hantuchova, Zvonareva, Dementieva, Henin were always articulate, but often boring.

Sveta and Li Na don't possess the best English, but it's hard not to enjoy their sense of humor and wit.

Petra may be very very shy and modest. Ivanovic (who often comes off as unintelligent) could merely be trying to be agreeable and "exciting" about everything.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:58 AM
They speak good english, its just that in those regions, their letters are pronounced differently and they6 are taught english in a different way.

:spit:
They teach us the same english like in every other place in the world.

miffedmax
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:46 AM
I think most of the women are well-spoken especially when you consider that English often isn't their first language. Hantuchova, Zvonareva, Dementieva, Henin were always articulate, but often boring.

Sveta and Li Na don't possess the best English, but it's hard not to enjoy their sense of humor and wit.

Petra may be very very shy and modest. Ivanovic (who often comes off as unintelligent) could merely be trying to be agreeable and "exciting" about everything.

Lena and Dani are always more enjoyable when they are not talking about tennis, as they do tend to stay on script when talking about their sport.

Agree about Sveta and Na.

I always find Vika more interesting in longer interviews as it seems like it takes her awhile to loosen up and be herself.

Vania King usually comes across as being fun and nice. Sloane Stephens, too.

Jo-La has a much deeper voice than I'd expect, but her Swenglish is really cute.

MMJSL
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:51 AM
I can't stand the way Sharapova talks. Too many "umms".

The Kaz
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:55 AM

I just can't :hysteric:

The Kaz
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:57 AM
I like Sharapova's relentless sarcasm and Na Li's sense of humor.

Agree with OP as well. Wozniacki sounds like a nice, but not very bright girl.

Well sarcasm is the lowest form of humour... Not surprising that is the best Sharapova can come up with, bless her.

The Kaz
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:01 AM
Clijsters and Hingis outside of tennis are not intellectually blessed.

And...LenaD doesn't know how to have sex, need I say more :oh: j/k!

Marion, Daniela, Vera and Andrea seem very intelligent.

kjsulliv
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:02 AM
Vera and Venus sound really intelligent to me.

I like Capriati, but damn, all of her press interviews were filled with "umm," "like," and "you know."

njnetswill
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:08 AM
Can any posters from non-English speaking countries fill us in on how players from their country sound when speaking in their native language? :wavey:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:10 AM
Well sarcasm is the lowest form of humour... Not surprising that is the best Sharapova can come up with, bless her.

Actually, it's proven that you have to be very smart in order to be sarcastic ;)

naranka
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:16 AM
Petkovic. Hands down she gives the most interesting, articulate, and refreshingly candid press conferences. And English isn't even her first language.

Danči Dementia
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:22 AM
Elena :)

ranfurly
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:31 AM
Actually, it's proven that you have to be very smart in order to be sarcastic ;)

Please provide scientific proof, analysis and discourse pertaining to the above statement please.

stromatolite
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:40 AM
Few have anything interesting to say on the subject of tennis (which is all I would really want from them tbh) but a lot of them sound reasonably intelligent and articulate in general. A few are chronically silly, others suffer from an unfortunate urge to try to be funny all the time. Vera comes across as the most intelligent IMO, but as others have said, the language barrier makes it hard to judge how smart most of them really are.

Shivank17
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:08 AM
I maybe a bit biased but I find Maria really witty. :oh:

Shivank17
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:10 AM

Pressed hater. :hug:

Her humor is 76385942 times better than all the players you support,combined. :kiss:

stromatolite
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:25 AM
^Like all good comedians, Maria has perfected the deadpan stare, the ironic smile, etc., but her material is not uniformly great. That said, she would always come up with a better retort than this.

Freakan
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:54 AM
Ana is very intelligent. Whoever says she's dumb because of how she speaks (her voice is indeed a bit annoying) and ignores what she speaks, must be an idiot.

The 2nd Law
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Ana is very intelligent. Whoever says she's dumb because of how she speaks (her voice is indeed a bit annoying) and ignores what she speaks, must be an idiot.

I've met way dumber people than Ivanovic :lol:

In fact, I live in an English speaking country and I can guarantee you that there are people here who don't speak it as well as she does. To say that she's dumb is ridiculous.

nevetssllim
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:02 AM
Petrova always comes across well in interviews.

WTAtennisfan15
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Bartoli, if she could just talk English a bit better, she'd tell everybody what's going on in tennis!

Tripp
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:16 AM
Petkovic seems like a very intelligent girl. Didn't I read somewhere that she got amazing grades in her pre-University exams or something like that?

I'll always remember how stupid Clarisa Fernández looked in pretty much every interview she ever gave. It made me want to shake her and see if something came out of there.

pav
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:16 AM
I just admire all of them for what they have achieved, and none of them are thick,but now and then some put on a pretty good imitation of being a bit that way :)

Potato
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:27 AM
In terms of mastery of the language, I would say Petkovic, Zvonareva, Petrova, Dementieva, and Hantuchova all have a really great understanding of English and are extremely articulate in interviews. However, the players with personality but maybe not such good understanding of the language would be the aforementioned Na, Sveta, and also Cibulkova. Players like JJ, Masha, and Lisicki all grew up in the States so they have an upper hand in understanding the language.

GoofyDuck
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Li Na, vera and andrea alll studying/ studied and you can definitely tell!

Zheng jie, mona Barthel, marion, venus and maria also seem intelligent :)

Trickle
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah I dont know why Ana was mentioned. She sounds fine to me. She is sometimes a bit cheery and people might think that means she's dense.

Personally I think all the non-English native tennis players should get credit for learning an international language they are pretty much forced to learn because of the social standards of the game.

All tennis players sound montonous when they talk about tennis, it's either "I played really well" with a little elaboration, or "I played really bad" with a little elaboration. It's only when you see them talk about off-tennis things that their personality shines through. Like in those 'bag check' videos on Youtube where you see what's inside their bag besides tennis balls and racquets.

It's easier to judge in their native languages. I speak a second language okay to get by but if people were to judge me on it, I would be horrified because I make alot of mistakes and it would be harder to express myself in it.

Maybe people from those player's countries can share how those players sound in their native tongue. I know watching Petra on a Czech chatshow someone posted with Tomas, she looked very relaxed and affable. Still somewhat shy as I assume that's probably her natural personality but much more relaxed.

Out of the first language English speakers, Venus even when she was a teenager was very articulate. Lindsay is up there too. Sam sounds fine but sometimes a bit too professional... and tends to start sentences with "Yeah".

But I'm really noone to judge on this because I remember being on a debate team in school and I was absolutely horrible at it. :help:

Chaosm21
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Can any posters from non-English speaking countries fill us in on how players from their country sound when speaking in their native language? :wavey:

Kerber sounds very nice, but in interviews she is just :facepalm:

LoLex
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Vera seems to be very intelligent and eloquent person. Hard to believe she's such a headcase on the court.

SVK
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:58 AM
Please provide scientific proof, analysis and discourse pertaining to the above statement please.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1409197/posts

The Kaz didn´t write anything wrong though, they also wrote that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

stromatolite
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Vera seems to be very intelligent and eloquent person. Hard to believe she's such a headcase on the court.

:lol: Exactly! Intellectual in the interview room, complete nutcase on court. This always completely mystifies me.

gc-spurs
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:01 AM

Right? Even in person she seems so screwed on and thoughtful.

ranfurly
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1409197/posts

The Kaz didn´t write anything wrong though, they also wrote that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Interesting little tidbit there (My post was actually sarcastic as well :oh:)

Curcubeu
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM

Yeah, Sorana really seems awkward when it comes to interviews. Either a bit too playful or cheerful in English or when she is being interviewed in Romanian she is speaking like a machine gun without any break to ctach some breath.

However, she had brilliant BAC (school leaving certificate) results and speaks a lot of languages, so this is maybe just some girlish behaviour there.

From what I've already experienced on and off court in WTA or ATP, as well as the local courts, rather intelligent people have a much stronger tendency of choking, headcasing or as in Vera's case completely losing mind, maybe because they just think too much what will happen or what they should do instead of playing point by point, but that's just an assumption.

LightWarrior
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
Vera seems to be very intelligent and eloquent person.

Really ? To me she rehashes the same boring stuff over and over. At least when she speaks about her matches.

roelc
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:46 AM
i dont think the top players (serena, justine, kim, maria f.e.) are that intelligent, nor are they the most stupid.
the more intelligent players are often the head cases (daniela, elena, amelie, maybe vera), because they simply think too much on court.

SVK
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:54 AM
Interesting little tidbit there (My post was actually sarcastic as well :oh:)

Again, there is my talent to embarrass myself :p

Raiden
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
^^ roelc, I don't regard Elena & Daniela as particularly notable headcases (certainly not more than Sveta and Domi and countless other usually-Eastern-European chokers.

B.T.W although I agree Pova is indeed very articulate and sophisticated, I'm not entirely sure of the level of intelligence (didn't she got shocked the other day when she found out that IQ was something that could be measured? :oh:

RobinT83
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:22 PM
In interview, Angelique Kerber, talking in a retarded voice (:cuckoo:):
"I played a great match today, i mean, i played really solid from the baseline, i mean, i played a good match from the baseline, very solid, i mean, i was solid in my game, i mean, i was feeling good from the baseline, in my game, i mean, blablabla, i mean, blablabla, i mean, blablabla, i mean, blablabla, (at the end of the interview with a tight smile), thanks".

heejin
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:32 PM
Bartoli, if she could just talk English a bit better, she'd tell everybody what's going on in tennis!

For a french, i can tell you Marion speaks a very good english !
She's definitly not a stupid girl.

Cajka
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:20 PM

Djokovic and Krunic sound the best.

Tipsarevic is OK. The other girls are not really eloquent. JJ is funny, but otherwise not too eloquent IMO. Ivanovic and Jovanovski always sound like it's their first interview ever.

Troicki... :help:

BH both wings
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:26 PM
^^ roelc, I don't regard Elena & Daniela as particularly notable headcases (certainly not more than Sveta and Domi and countless other usually-Eastern-European chokers.

B.T.W although I agree Pova is indeed very articulate and sophisticated, I'm not entirely sure of the level of intelligence (didn't she got shocked the other day when she found out that IQ was something that could be measured? :oh:

No. She made an ironic remark about having your own IQ measured. She wasn't surprised that this is possible but about the fact that some people feeling the urge to measure their IQ.

Ferg
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:29 PM
Probably because she knows she wouldnt do too well on one of those tests :oh:

Cajka
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:56 PM

When she was asked about it, she obviously knew what IQ means, so she definitely knew that it could be measured. She was mocking the people who did it tough. :lol:

PetraReeMona
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:11 PM
Anyone notice the irony of this thread (HINT: the title :oh: )

timafi
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:11 PM
Amelie
Elena D
Kim
Venus

jameshazza
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:36 PM
PR I actually like Vika, I think she presents herself well.

Venus I like too. Obviously I love Masha's sarcasm, but her real gems are the one-to-one interviews. The responses are very deepand thoughtful, there's usually a brilliant one with The Guardian/Telegraph every year before Wimbledon.

Corswandt
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Nearly everybody sounds robotic, with a half dozen or so stock answers to everything, which they mindlessly parrot on nearly every occasion.

The exceptions are those who come across as normal people, like say Rebecca Marino, or the more thoughtful types like

Petrova always comes across well in interviews.

Very well indeed. Petrova one of the very few who seems to think before answering, and who actually engages the questions being asked.

My view of Petkorazzi is that her unbearably cringeworthy try-hard clownish buffoonery is actually a mask she wears to be accepted, and that's she's used to play down her own undeniable intelligence, which isn't of much use when you're a pro athlete.

Bartoli seems well brought-up, charming and courteous rather than the towering intellect she claims to be.

Martha has a lot of self-awareness, probably also as a consequence of being in the spotlight for as long as she can remember.

I keep hearing about how Barthel is so intelligent and gracious, but her "Getting to know" interview was one of the least interesting I have ever read.

Dan_Doe
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:03 PM

Romanian is very phonetic, the letters are pronounced the very same way in every word they're in. So it's kinda' hard to master the english accent, that's why Cirstea (and not only her) is practically speaking english woth romanian accent :o That's why it sounds so funny\awkward.

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:09 PM
Anyone notice the irony of this thread (HINT: the title :oh: )

Err....well if the thread was about posters not players LightWarrior would rather fall into the "others not much so" (sic) category.

Vespertine69
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:19 PM
Sad that nobody mentioned Anna C - her english is not the most accomplished and she has a quite heavy accent, but her mind is sharp and she's funny. Of course, I may be biased...

I also agree with those saying Petrova, Mauresmo, Bartoli and Zvonareva... some others (Sharapova comes to mind) are funny and come across as conversationally savvy, but perhaps not terribly academically minded.

Of course, it is all very subjective. IQ and "seeming intelligent" are often worlds apart... and IQ is a crude yardstick for intelligence as it is (albeit the most accurate we have)

Brena
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:32 PM
The ones who appear intelligent to me judging by the interviews and their general behavior: Dementieva, Vera, Na, Petko, Bartoli, Sharapova, Krunic, Safina (off the top of my head). I've noticed that Russian players in general sound much more articulate than other players but I'm not sure if it's intelligence or education since most of them went to proper schools and even universities. Also, I think Serena (as well as Venus) is quite intelligent but her occasional immature behaviour and silliness give a wrong impression.
The ones who give me mixed signals are: Wozniacki, Kuznetsova, Jankovic, Clijsters, Henin.
The ones who IMHO would have gone to special school if they hadn't succeeded in tennis won't be mentioned because it's not nice and I'm extremely nice :)

WowWow
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:00 PM
The ones who appear intelligent to me judging by the interviews and their general behavior: Dementieva, Vera, Na, Petko, Bartoli, Sharapova, Krunic, Safina (off the top of my head). I've noticed that Russian players in general sound much more articulate than other players but I'm not sure if it's intelligence or education since most of them went to proper schools and even universities. Also, I think Serena (as well as Venus) is quite intelligent but her occasional immature behaviour and silliness give a wrong impression.
The ones who give me mixed signals are: Wozniacki, Kuznetsova, Jankovic, Clijsters, Henin.

The ones who IMHO would have gone to special school if they hadn't succeeded in tennis won't be mentioned because it's not nice and I'm extremely nice :)

Oh, come on now!:p

Brena
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM
Oh, come on now!:p

It's a secret! You would never guess who I might be thinking of since they usually sound like Nobel Prize laureates.
I have actually only 3 candidates for this category. For most players I just have no idea since I've never heard or read their interviews.

Sammo
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:31 PM
Danielle Anotoxfa always sounds classy and clever :cool:

WowWow
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:32 PM
It's a secret! You would never guess who I might be thinking of since they usually sound like Nobel Prize laureates.
I have actually only 3 candidates for this category. For most players I just have no idea since I've never heard or read their interviews.

Please tell me it's Ratwanska, her ego and her super-ego?:secret::yippee::cheer:

Brena
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Please tell me it's Ratwanska, her ego and her super-ego?:secret::yippee::cheer:

Don't forget her Id. :lol: She's actually one of those I have no idea about. I just know she's good at drawing.

WowWow
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Don't forget her Id. :lol: She's actually one of those I have no idea about.
I'd rather not go there :help:

I just know she's good at drawing.

:rolls:

JustPetko
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:50 PM

"You know".

Aramitz_II
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:04 PM

Caro sound a lot better in danish. I think she is overestimating her English ability a little bit.

A good show-case is that Kangaroo-Story. She made the same story for the Danish press the day before and no one were in doubt that it was what it was: a story. But for the international press she apparently she don't manage to cut the story in the right manner. It may also play a role that most Danes (also sports journalist) probably don't know that attacks from kangaroo are not out of the ordinary in Australia.

Towanda
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM
:lol: Exactly! Intellectual in the interview room, complete nutcase on court. This always completely mystifies me.

Being highly intelligent does not preclude one from having emotional problems, or issues with nerves.

Mike81
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
The likes of Sorana, Sabine and Ana are very sweet girls. I don't know so much about their intelligence, because I only hear them speak about a limited range of topics and they are not using their first language. Sabine I've seen so many videos of, she has this very youthful sweetness that I find appealing, she is sincere and kind, she is quite bright, but she maybe she isn't so articulate in English as what she could be. Certain times in interviews her answers are very short and pretty predictable, she doesn't really improvise and it leaves me frustrated wanting to see more of Sabine sharing her thoughts with the world. I still see Sabine as being quite shy and mostly a type that seeks to fit in and conform, then again that's the same case with so many people.. I think Andrea Petkovic does appear really interesting and unique and intelligent. I'm not really a fan of her tennis, but she stands out in the WTA as far as being smart and interesting goes, in my opinion. She is not afraid to be quirky and different, which I like in a girl :) Maybe I should start to follow Petko more, lol...

StephenUK
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM
The most inarticulate ever has to be Capriati - she sounded like she was stoned or something, like she was really struggling to understand the most basic questions. Far less articulate than 99% of the players who learned English as a second, third or even fourth language. I dread to think what her academic results or written English are like. :help:

Lindsay Davenport has clearly shown herself to be a bright and witty person. Sharapova can be robotic but her dry wit bristles with intelligence. Mauresmo, Petrova and Zvonareva also seem intelligent, Petkovic too. I don't know if Cibulkova is what I would call intelligent, but she certainly has spark, she'd defintely fizz up anyone's party :lol:

No-one, unfortunately has managed to equal the brilliant Dmitry Tursunov as women's tennis wit, though I think Bryanne Stewart was the best effort in the blogosphere. :worship:

Shinjiro
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM
+1 for Mauresmo

N.M.
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
aga in polish gives interviews also on politics and religion, and she sounds very level-headed in those; also she knows how to put a stupid journo in his place :D

my job experience with players (mostly atp though) also shows russian / ukrainian players are deeper / more thoughtful and usually have better general knowledge than other players. kuznetsova is a gem

not sure what to think of petkovic, on one hand she strikes as a superficial clown, but on the other she studies political science and seems generally to possess knowledge. one doesn't exclude the other though...

special mention to the not mentioned here yet francesca schiavone. witty in a very positive way

sofia arvidsson also seems to have good sense of taste / humour

one more thing needs to be said, press conferences aren't in most cases the best way of judging somebody's intelligence. players are distracted by a million things as any of us would be. sometimes still tired. sometimes still on court with thoughts. sometimes euphoric or too sad. trying to interview a player before they get proper rest it's usually a bad idea for the journalist who's trying to make it.

Number19
Apr 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
If choking is a sign of above average intelligence, Domi is a freaking genius. :lol:

nevetssllim
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM
I keep hearing about how Barthel is so intelligent and gracious, but her "Getting to know" interview was one of the least interesting I have ever read.

uILkAdzW4gU

I think Mona seems quite articulate here. Seeing as she'd barely played outside of Europe until last year's US Open and hadn't really been in the spotlight at the few WTA tournaments she'd played, she handled herself well here.

toxina90
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:28 PM
Jaja always sounds bored to tears and as if she's Royal duties to perform afterwards :sad:

Wiggly
Apr 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Nearly everybody sounds robotic, with a half dozen or so stock answers to everything, which they mindlessly parrot on nearly every occasion.

The exceptions are those who come across as normal people, like say Rebecca Marino.

Rebecca is taking a break from tennis after a burnout.

Phil=)
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM
I'm sure she isn't dumb but Angelique Kerber sounds so dumb when she's talking english :lol: She always repeats herself and talks the same in every interview, she doesn't even really answers the questions :p

Asif_Nawaz
Apr 1st, 2012, 09:24 PM
JANKOVIC. TOO. MUCH. HILARITY.

Where's that US Open Final Post-Match Press Conference!?!!

Corswandt
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
The ones who appear intelligent to me judging by the interviews and their general behavior: Dementieva, Vera, Na, Petko, Bartoli, Sharapova, Krunic, Safina (off the top of my head). I've noticed that Russian players in general sound much more articulate than other players but I'm not sure if it's intelligence or education since most of them went to proper schools and even universities.

My guess is that is more of a sign of the older generation of Russians (so to speak) being brought up to be more reserved and to act less girly in public than say US or Western European players, and so they come across as more thoughtful and mature when interacting with the media.

Like I've said many times before, the German players are among the very few who complete regular (or at least sort of normal) highschool before starting to travel around the world to play pro events full time. This doesn't necessarily make them more intelligent or even more interesting interviewees, but it gives them a different perspective on their lives and careers.

MK Ultra
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:39 PM
Kiri 2002:
2002 US OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP - KIRILENKO INTERVIEW
2002 US OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

NEW YORK CITY

September 8, 2002

M. KIRILLENKO/B. Strycova
6-4, 6-4

An interview with:

MARIA KIRILLENKO

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Well done, congratulations.

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Sorry?

Q. How do you feel inside? You must be very happy.

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Excuse me, but I don’t speak English very well.

Q. I’ll go more slowly. How do you feel inside?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Yes, I’m very happy that I won this tournament. This is my first Grand Slam junior title, and I happy that I won.

Q. Is it like a dream?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Huh?

Q. Like a dream.

MARIA KIRILLENKO: OK.

Q. You played amazing tennis this week. You’ve played very, very good tennis this week.

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Yes, yeah.

Q. Did you expect to play like that?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Tennis is game.

Q. Were you playing good before the US Open?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Yes, I did play Roland Garros, Wimbledon. Roland Garros I lost in second round, and Wimbledon I was in semifinal. This is my third Grand Slam. And I won.

Q. So you’ve been getting better?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Better, yes, yes.

Q. Were you afraid of playing Strycova? Were you nervous?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Yes, I did play her this year in Milan, and I lost semifinal 6-3, 7-5. And now I won.

Q. Were you nervous? Were you a bit scared frightened?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: No, I don’t get nervous, thank you.

Q. You had nothing to lose?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: Huh?

Q. You had nothing to lose?

MARIA KIRILLENKO: OK, thanks.

Kiri now:
xHCDx6udNRw

Pretty big improvement, I'd say. lol

Novichok
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:46 PM
Caroline Wozniacki. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the reincarnation of Kant or Plato.

MaBaker
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:11 PM
JANKOVIC. TOO. MUCH. HILARITY.

Where's that US Open Final Post-Match Press Conference!?!!
KYDXySX5ME8

antonella
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:24 PM
Kiri 2002:

Kiri now:
xHCDx6udNRw

Pretty big improvement, I'd say. lol

I can't believe what an incredible perv this nosy guy is. :tape: Even more unbelievable is that she put up with that. :lol::help:

Roookie
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:48 PM
Serena is one of the least articulate.

Kəv.
Apr 1st, 2012, 11:48 PM
Well Bartoli has an IQ of 172 :p

King Halep
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:00 AM

Cirstea is also good friends with Woz :hysteric:

LightWarrior
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:04 AM
Serena is one of the least articulale.

Yes but she has a dry sense of humour that always makes headlines.

tennisphilia
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:16 AM
I remember Jon Wertheim once saying he'd bet on the intelligence of the following group of WTA tennis stars: Hingis, Serena, Venus, Seles, and Davenport. At that time, he left out a particular top player - Capriati.

antonella
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:18 AM
I remember Jon Wertheim once saying he'd bet on the intelligence of the following group of WTA tennis stars: Hingis, Serena, Venus, Seles, and Davenport. At that time, he left out a particular top player - Capriati.

To win or lose??

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:12 AM
KYDXySX5ME8

"I'm rich now"

:armed:

Chunchun
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
Obviously Hingis, who is accused of "lacks a formal education" :oh:

saint2
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:05 PM
Honestly, if my life would depend on Cirstea IQ result, I'd better kill myself now. She may be nicest girl on tour- cheerful, nice looking, wanting to be friend with everyone she met. She may even had good grades in school, and helping her friends with their homework. But her on court attitude, her interviews, the way she plays, she speaks, she writes, shows she isn't brightest person on earth, sorry.

Corswandt
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
Honestly, if my life would depend on Cirstea IQ result, I'd better kill myself now. She may be nicest girl on tour- cheerful, nice looking, wanting to be friend with everyone she met. She may even had good grades in school, and helping her friends with their homework. But her on court attitude, her interviews, the way she plays, she speaks, she writes, shows she isn't brightest person on earth, sorry.

I remember Cirstea tweeting some surprisingly highbrow stuff a few months back. Though of course you can never be sure if it's actually the player doing the twittering.

Siderophyre
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM
KYDXySX5ME8

Now that's how to give a presser. Quality, JJ, QUALITY! :lol:

Israel
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:25 AM
I'll sum it up into one sentence: players who seem interesting usually aren't the most intelligent out there.
For example Serena and Sharapova make so much noise (off-court i mean) with all the "Rome and Madrid" and "isn't she back to Poland already?" stuff. I just think those kind of loud and attention seeking just make you doubt them.
I mean I'm not a fan of Bartoli but she knows how to handle the press and never does stupid things - I think that makes her intelligent. Other good examples must be Kvitova and Stosur. You just never see them talking crap.
But that's just me.

Tennis Ball
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:27 AM
Justine is very intelligent and articulate, and funny too!

Wiggly
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
I'll sum it up into one sentence: players who seem iteresting usually aren't the most intelligent out there.
For example Serena and Sharapova make so much noise (off-court i mean) with all the "Rome and Madrid" and "isn't she back to Poland already?" stuff. I just think those kind of loud and attention seeking just make you doubt them.
I mean I'm not a fan of Bartoli but she knows how to handle the press and never does stupid things - I think that makes her intelligent. Other good examples must be Kvitova and Stosur. You just never see them talking crap.
But that's just me.

Well, having that attitude will give plenty of cash to Maria and Serena.
It depends of everyone's priorities.

MB.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:36 AM
Marion says she has 175 IQ :lol:

Fixed that for you.

auntie janie
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:09 AM
Petkovic. Hands down she gives the most interesting, articulate, and refreshingly candid press conferences. And English isn't even her first language.

:yeah:

OohZuzana
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:52 AM
Akgul. No competition.

Corswandt
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Akgul. No competition.

Yes, I've heard that before.

Too bad about everything else, though. :tape:

Linguae^
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
IS this thread about speaking English or being intelligent?

Corswandt
Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:42 AM
IS this thread about speaking English or being intelligent?

If you don't speak English, you can't possibly be intelligent. :wavey:

http://partisandawn.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/george-w-bush.jpg

Beat
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Ivanovic sounds absolutely retarded

she was the fist one that came to my mind. i recently saw her being interviewed by mats wilander, a very daft person himself. it was like a monty python sketch.

hingis also always made me cringe. actually in german even more than when she spoke english.

davenport, on the other hand, was the best example that even professional athletes could be articulate and smart.

Brena
Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
she was the fist one that came to my mind. i recently saw her being interviewed by mats wilander, a very daft person himself. it was like a monty python sketch.

hingis also always made me cringe. actually in german even more than when she spoke english.

davenport, on the other hand, was the best example that even professional athletes could be articulate and smart.

''I'm opening a boutique!''

sw8ZL_gcTSM

Sean.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Ana's often said she's read the work of Freud.

As someone who's read Freud's work too, I can tell you it's not the easiest text to follow, even in your first language! So she can't be a complete idiot. ;)

Brena
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM

As someone who's read Freud's work too, I can tell you it's not the easiest text to follow, even in your first language! So she can't be a complete idiot. ;)

Maybe it's ''Freud for Beginners''. It's in the cartoon format. :p I have it.

vozas
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think it's amazing how Li Na, whose English is very, very limited, is easily the funniest player on the WTA. Her sense of humor and comedic timing are brilliant, and I can only imagine how much fun she is in chinese.

I'll never forget that interview some random lesbian did to her after she beat Wozniacki at last year's AO.

"So you were match points down, didn't have much sleep, what kept you going to the finish line?"

"Praish mani, you know?" (Prize money :inlove::inlove::inlove:)

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM

Freud's work has been translated into other languages, even Serbian. ;)

Simugna Help
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Why would anyone read Freud in this day and age anyway? Psychologists say most of his claims are proven to be wrong. It'd be like reading books on geocentrism instead of studying modern models of the Solar system. :shrug:

Critique
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
I always found that Sharapova, Venus Williams, Zvonareva and Stosur all sound intelligent.

Wiggly
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Ivanovic seems to be a little insecure and always goes for the clichés and ends all her answers with a smile or a giggle.
That's just the PR image her team wants her to do.

She's also drinking gluten-free kool aid about Djokovic.

Sean.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Freud's work has been translated into other languages, even Serbian. ;)

Even so, it's no easy read!

BH both wings
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Why would anyone read Freud in this day and age anyway? Psychologists say most of his claims are proven to be wrong. It'd be like reading books on geocentrism instead of studying modern models of the Solar system. :shrug:

Freud is a pretty awesome author. I love to read Freud, he is one of my favourite writers of fiction. The "Psychopathologie des Alltagslebens" is just gold, almost as good as Eco's "Il pendolo di Foucault".

Stonerpova
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
-Stosur, along with being classy as fack, comes off as really well-spoken and intelligent.
-Maria is articulate as well, especially when giving speeches after finals. She's been incredibly classy in all three of those final losses this year. I also love her shade.
-You can tell Zvonareva's smart as hell, too. Maybe a bit dull, but her attitude is one admire (even when she's breaking rackets - at least she cares, right?)
-Petkovic and Petrova seem really well-spoken too.

Tezuka.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
Nadia.
Anna C.
Petko.

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:03 PM

Anci apparently has great taste in books (Sofia Arvidsson attests to that: http://www.wtatennis.com/page/GettingToKnow/Read/0,,12781~2649237,00.html) :oh:

Davenport, Sharapova, Venus, Justine, Bartoli, Petrova, Petkovic, for different reasons.

I feel Schiavone would sound really articulate in Italian (can anyone confirm?). Ana is adorable, but the poster who said she giggles apologetically way too much is right, and girlish coyness gets old REAL fast.

Raiden
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Caroline Wozniacki. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the reincarnation of Kant or Plato.More likely Kant (since she's got the proclivity to rehash with umpires about things that have happened but perhaps shouldn't. :oh:

KnnL3_C3UFs

antonella
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Ivanovic sounds absolutely retarded...she was the fist one that came to my mind.....

Couldn't have put it better myself.:lol:

chuvack
Apr 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Caroline Wozniacki is a moron's dream: she talks and blabs and tweets all the time, yet she has nothing interesting to say.

Petkovic, Ivanovic, Vika and Lena D, on the other hand, I could listen to them all day long.

The Witch-king
Apr 4th, 2012, 10:42 AM
The players that strike me as having a gift for public speaking: Bartoli, Vera Zvonareva and Venus Williams. There are others that I can't remember right now. Venus is on that Obama/Presidential Candidate ish sometimes with her ability to be both cryptic and clear at the same time. It's impressive and slightly disturbing :unsure:.

I also don't believe how you talk is a definitive indication of ones intelligence.

And we need to give credit to the number of players speaking multiple languages. It's not easy to speak every language well.

The Witch-king
Apr 4th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I think it's amazing how Li Na, whose English is very, very limited, is easily the funniest player on the WTA. Her sense of humor and comedic timing are brilliant, and I can only imagine how much fun she is in chinese.

I'll never forget that interview some random lesbian did to her after she beat Wozniacki at last year's AO.

"So you were match points down, didn't have much sleep, what kept you going to the finish line?"

"Praish mani, you know?" (Prize money :inlove::inlove::inlove:)
Because people are laughing at her comic timing. :rolleyes:

marc0026
Apr 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I personally think Andrea is one of the smartest. She jumped over 2 classes in high school and graduated still with the best marks....I think Li NA, Vera, Maria, Venus and Mona are quite intelligent. Especially when they give speeches, they seem to know what makes an interview interesting....

T_P
Apr 4th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I personally think Andrea is one of the smartest. She jumped over 2 classes in high school and graduated still with the best marks....I think Li NA, Vera, Maria, Venus and Mona are quite intelligent. Especially when they give speeches, they seem to know what makes an interview interesting....

But Andrea graduated from high school in 2006, when she was turning 19 :confused:

Corswandt
Apr 4th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Not enough shade in this thread for my liking.

Siderophyre
Apr 4th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Not enough shade in this thread for my liking.

Then cast some!

We're waiting...

tiptop
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not intelligent enough to embed Youtube videos but this has to be my favourite Ana video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHy82NimKUk

BH both wings
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:15 PM
But Andrea graduated from high school in 2006, when she was turning 19 :confused:

What is confusing you? Western Germany had a 13 year school system back then. People are usually around 20 years when they finish their A-level, so she might have skipped one class.

I also read that she graduated with a grade of 1.2 in Hessen, which is indeed pretty good.

purerandomness
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Lady JaJa is very beauty pageant when she speaks

Steadyniacki
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Gonna be a Marion stan.
She has honed interview skills. You can see she is naturally smart, she finished school 2 years early, not to mention her IQ test as a child :angel:

Miss Amor
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
( Talking about overall perception and not just the intelligent type )

Good -

Maria and Venus - In a traditional sense, they have a very classy brand.

Serena - She has a different type of brand, she likes playing the part of a little (sometimes bratty) sister but she knows how to work the press. Its polarising.

Kim - She has worked really hard one creating this illusion that she is some sort of a saint, good for her.

Azarenka and Hingis - An inferior and brattier version of Serena's brand but still quite interesting.

Bad -

Svetlana -She has so much personality but it hardly ever comes out on-court or in press conferences.

Jankovic - She is a complete idiot and it shows.

Radwanska - :yawn: A slightly superior version of Wozniacki's brand (read below)

Ugly -

Wozniacki - Tries way too hard and comes across is a dumb idiot. All her antics, from trying to scare Maria to weaving a story about baby kangaroos make her look really fake and not genuine at all.

PetraReeMona
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not intelligent enough to embed Youtube videos but this has to be my favourite Ana video:

OMFG!!!!

:happy: :hysteric:

That is fucking BRILLIANT!!!!!

Johnbert
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
petko of course :)

http://www.merkur-online.de/bilder/2012/02/29/1622684/252554828-andrea-petkovic.9.jpg

azdaja
Apr 4th, 2012, 03:18 PM
i can see how ana can sound dumb to people because of the way she speaks (or more precisely because of her accent in english) and because she always smiles and giggles but i've read enough of her interviews to be able to tell that she definitely is neither stupid nor that much of a pr robot as some people like to think.

the only players i think come accross in a bad light are those trying too hard.

antonella
Apr 4th, 2012, 03:38 PM

freaking hilarious.:lol: :devil: :worship:

Brena
Apr 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM

:hysteric: Those two girls are legends. All their videos I've seen were both well scripted and even better acted. The one doing Ana got even her body posture when speaking right. :sobbing:

Albireo
Apr 4th, 2012, 05:05 PM
What players sound articulate/intelligent: the ones I like

others not much so: the ones I don't like

Thread over.

Jimmie48
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Petkvoic isn't smart, she pretends to be... there's a difference.

It's part of her "look at me, I'm different...I'm studying politics yada yada yada" gimmick.. don't fall for it.

Of all the top players she's by far the most fake.

Corswandt
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:40 PM

It's part of her "look at me, I'm different...I'm studying politics yada yada yada" gimmick.. don't fall for it.

I actually believe (and said so upthread) that Petkorazzi pretends to be an annoying, cringeworthy, try hard, painfully unfunny prankster to be accepted by other players more easily; they might be a bit intimidated or even jealous if she didn't dumb herself down when in their company.

Charlatan
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:06 PM
What players sound articulate/intelligent: the ones I like

others not much so: the ones I don't like

Thread over.

how shallow of you

Albireo
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM
how shallow of you

On the contrary--I'm merely summing up the thread. About half the threads here, actually.

PetraReeMona
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM

What's the proof that she pretends to be :confused:

Jimmie48
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:28 PM
What's the proof that she pretends to be :confused:

Just read interviews with her, she constantly feels the need to point out how tennis isn't enough for her, how she's studying and other players don't bother etc.

If she was smart she wouldn't feel the need to point it out all the time, and especially not by putting others down. She's just an attention whore, she does it for the same reason she does her "funny" pranks and whatnot.. she craves attention and she has discovered that the role of the "intellectual type" is still open..so she has taken it. I`ve never read anything truly insightful in any of her interviews, just pretentious "I'm different" crap...

Some other players might not be the smartest but at least they´re honest about who they are...something that can't be said about Petkovic.

Charlatan
Apr 4th, 2012, 07:39 PM
On the contrary--I'm merely summing up the thread. About half the threads here, actually.

not really. i've seen some posters praising players they don't like as someone articulate on this thread...but of course, your statement will always be generally true when it comes to TF :yeah: