PDA

View Full Version : Marion Bartoli needs to get more physically fit if she wants to win a major.

Morrissey
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I think Marion Bartoli has improved in the last year she's reached a career high of number seven in the world. Bartoli has proven she can beat a top player. Although Marion has improved her fitness I still feel she needs to get fitter.

She doesn't look as slim as she did at Wimbledon last year. Marion's got the money she should hire a fitness trainer she's gotten fit but needs to get physically stronger.

Last year at Wimbledon after upsetting Serena Williams in straight sets in the fourth round she got tired against Sabine Lisicki. Bartoli upset Azarenka in straight sets on Wednesday yet lost easily to Radwanska. Bartoli has got the weapons to make the top ten and she's mentally tough. I think if Bartoli got into the best physical shape of her life her mind would be much fresher. She seems to get physically and mentally exhausted after a huge upset. She needs to take the next step after having a big win to follow it up with another upset and win a grand slam.

Kipling
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:38 PM
LOL--the girl has plenty of energy.

AFTER coming from a set down against Hercog to tie, during the break before the third set, she got her workout bands and actually tied them around the umpire stand and didn't stop moving the entire time until the third set started. Some people are genetically programmed not to be "skinny" but it doesn't mean they aren't fit. She's won enough to prove herself, and I reckon she could outlast anyone here criticizing her.

Allez, Marion!

mauresmofan
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Yep Marion is doing too much movement inbetween points and that's what's causing her problems she's actually very fit. She burns a crazy amount of energy getting ready for points

Sombrerero loco
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:03 PM
she cant win against aga, exhausted or not. fact. just see the h2h

Petronius
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:04 PM
It's gonna be an uphill battle

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03J91o50hMgpf/340x.jpg

Morrissey
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Marion moves well but her fans are delusional if they think she's in top physical condition. If Marion lost more weight she would feel fresher on the court and have more strength. She really needs a reality check she gets so tired doing those silly gestures before she serves. I think Marion expends too much physical energy doing that. To Marion's credit she has slimmed down a bit but I think she needs to lose more weight. She's not in top physical condition.

Ferg
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM
ok.

Macomere
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:27 PM
win a major? :spit: ...

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Marion did look quite plump against Vika. Most people in Britain do look as wobbly, but they're not trying to run around a court for hours.

Maybe Marion is taking her Monica Seles impersonation too far!

Seriously she does need to lose weight and would be a much better player for it. Even Monica expresses her regret abou not losing weight in her own biography I read last year.

T496
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I like Marion but I think a few posters here are being a little bit too sensitive regarding the whole weight aspect. She has of course done extremely well in her career with a Wimbledon final, an RG semi and reaching number 7 in the world. However it is true that she's one of the only players that I've seen over the years consistently have matches where she just seems utterly exhausted and there's no doubt it holds her back.

For example against Woz in IW last year and Lisicki at Wimbledon we saw her snatch momentum off her opponent only to be pegged right back due to fatigue setting- huffing and panting etc. This was also evident in her match against Radwanska (Yes, I know their H2H) where she had nothing left in the tank even though it's not like she played a load of 3 setters prior to the semis. I do also think that like Ivanovic a couple of years ago she probably does waste a bit too much energy getting herself all pumped up. There's a way to balance that better, look at Maria- pumps herself up a lot on the court too, but rarely expends too much energy doing so (see her record in 3 setters from the start of 2011).

I do really like Marion though, but she could definitely improve her results to an even higher level with a bit more emphasis on fitness.

Skye34
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:38 PM
LOL @ Bartoli winning a major.

edificio
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Whatever. It's her life and career.

Sund7101
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Yep Marion is doing too much movement inbetween points and that's what's causing her problems she's actually very fit. She burns a crazy amount of energy getting ready for points

This exactly. There is no need for the excessive movements in between points. Can you imagine if Nadal did that between every point? Anyone would be tired.

She did look fitter last year though. I don't know if it is just her outfit this week or what, but she did look a little bigger.

Lighter
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Marion moves well but her fans are delusional if they think she's in top physical condition. If Marion lost more weight she would feel fresher on the court and have more strength. She really needs a reality check she gets so tired doing those silly gestures before she serves. I think Marion expends too much physical energy doing that. To Marion's credit she has slimmed down a bit but I think she needs to lose more weight. She's not in top physical condition.Marion did it in 2004 with Pat Etcheberry. And it didn't work. Too thin, she lacked of power. On youtube, there is a video in Eastbourne vs Dushevina. Marion has always moved between the points, even she was under 10. That's her routines.

You know, her dad knows exactly what he has to do. He explained that the goal is to be ready for Roland Garros and Wimbledon. So Marion is not at her max from what i read. She works hard and she has got some results.

Kworb
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM
She is fit enough. Aga just owns her. Also because Marion has enormous respect for Aga's game and fears her a bit.

Ferg
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:45 PM
To people using the Lisicki match as an example, its not a particularly fair one. She had the flu in the early rounds, was just after winning Eastbourne, played 2 and a half hours against LDL in R2, nearly 3 and a half hours vs. Pennetta in R3, and then the 2 hour match vs. Serena in R4. 4 long matches in 6 days IIRC. Anyone would be tired after that.

misty1
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:46 PM
its absolutley hilarious that anyone is coming on here and saying this

what are you doing again?

carling
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:52 PM
It's gonna be an uphill battle

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03J91o50hMgpf/340x.jpg

LOL!!!! :worship:

faboozadoo15
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I think she may want to improve her fitness.

However, I think saying "lose weight, lose weight!" is such a naive prescription. Marion played terribly when she wlimmed down. She likes to have some weight of shot, or she hasn't much chance on court.

T496
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah I actually meant to specify that I don't think Marion needs to lose a lot of weight at all. She's clearly doing extremely well at her current weight, being fit doesn't mean being skinny after all. I just meant that becoming a bit more fit, whether that means losing a small amount of weight or not, would be beneficial for her (in my opinion).

Wiggly
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM
The reason she doesn't lose that much weight is that her father firmly believes it helps her to get more power on her shots.
He said this a couple times in her career.

young_gunner913
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Marion is fine just the way she is. IDK why these weight threads always come up after a successful tournament for her. :o

Lord Choc Ice
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:40 PM
She doesn't need to lose weight or get fitter, she just needs to play less. She plays every week.

colt13
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:56 AM
win a major? :spit: ...

She is a serious contender. When you have beaten current #1's, and beaten Serena at a major, you have enough game to win a major. Plus she already has bucked the trend. Li, Schiavone and Stosur reached finals and won slams, then reached the top 5 after. Bartoli is the only slam finalist-07 Wimbledon- in the last 18 yrs never to have been in the top 5 at one point in her career.

MM_1257
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:16 AM
I like Marion, the girl works hard to improve and she has improved, a lot. Is she a Slam contender? I don't know. Nowadays in WTA anyone can win or not win a Slam (maybe things will change this year with Petra and Vika). Aga was always a bad matchup for her and it will remain like that.

Morrissey
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:16 AM
Marion Bartoli has defeated the Williams Sisters, Justine Henin, and Azarenka and, Kvitova. She's got the weapons she reminds me of Monica Seles she uses the angles well. The fitness issue is a concern because she looks fatigued out there especially after a big win. I wasn't trying to insult Marion I am just saying she needs to get physically stronger. If she was more fit she wouldn't get tired so much. She also has a problem following up a huge win. She beat Henin in 2007 at Wimbledon then loses to Venus. In 2011 Wimbledon Marion beat Serena but lost to Lisicki. In 2012 she beat Azarenka and next lost to Radwanska. There is a pattern here Marion can come up with the big win but she can't seem to back it up. She can beat the best players and I doubt they underestimate her. If Marion's fitness was better I bet she would win slams. She's a lot better than she looks.

StoneRose
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:21 AM
she cant win against aga, exhausted or not. fact. just see the h2hSame sort of H2H against Vika and she won, these things are not etched in stone. I think Marion is fit enough , just needs even more consistency, sometimes she's awesome, sometimes not that good,underrated player all the same.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:17 AM
1) She needs to shed a few pounds. Her butt is still very jiggly.

2) She needs to stop wasting so much energy with her inbetween point routines. It tires me out just looking at it.

3) She needs to stop getting so excited over every point won. It think when she starts playing bad it gets worse. Emotional peaks and valleys arent good for tennis.

pav
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Marion certainly wasn't bouncing around and swinging between points as much or chair running in the match against Aga,and looked fatigued but hard to say why.

Trickle
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:45 AM
With the amount of moving she does in between points, I'm sure if she thought being skinnier would help her win more tournaments, she would have done so by now. Marion knows her body more than anyone who isn't Marion, I would assume.

Linguae^
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Since when is she a candidate for the GS trophy? Oh, WTA, oh, WTA?

The 2nd Law
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:53 AM
I could definitely see her winning a slam

LoLex
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Since when is she a candidate for the GS trophy? Oh, WTA, oh, WTA?

I guess, since she became a consistent top 10 player :shrug:

cescsas
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM
Everytime I watch Marion play she always looks dead on her feet after a set but still manages to fight her way through but against the top dogs in the game you cannot get away with it. Yesterday in the first 7 games she through the kitchen sink at Radwanska who then started to pull her around the court and that was too much for Marion to deal with. Definitely needs to work on her physical conditioning also needs to stop playing 30 tounaments a year otherwise she'll always be on empty by October.

Patrick345
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:04 PM
She probably could get a little more fit. The real problem here though is that she is getting older, playing a lot of tournaments and she simply burns too much nervous energy during matches. Itīs like with boxers. Two boxers can both be in excellent physical shape and fight the exact same fight, but one is nervous, his breathing not under control, his mind not at ease, while the other is totally comfortable doing the same stuff. One gets tired and KTFO, the other wins easily. Thatīs what I see, when I watch Bartoli. She just burns too much energy physically and mentally. All that pumping up, that running and jumping between points and to changeovers. In a way, she always plays an extra set worth of energy.

Miracle Worker
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:22 PM
She doesn't play so many matches... She plays a lot of tournaments but still she plays less matches than others. I think the number of tournaments is not main factor here. Vika Azarenka played this season less tournaments and she still played more matches than Marion. The same Agnieszka. Maria played 2 matches less than Marion.

She needs to be more fit to win big tournaments because she has game, she has mental strength, she can hit ball stronger than 90% of tour and she uses her brain when she plays tennis.

Gilas.
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:38 PM
Haven't we already debunked this last year after her amaze RG run, only losing to a superior claycourter? How many 3-setters did she win there + LDL and Pennetta at Wimby? :scratch: