PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova Withdraws From Charleston (She Will Receive 0)

SHILIN-GOAT
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I wonder what her official excuse is going to be ... she knows she is going to get an injury at the end of the Miami final :lol:

and Karolina already said she is not going to replace Maria here so I guess that sucks for Charleston :oh:

and this means Aga will be the top seed in a Premier for the 1st time :unsure:

SHILIN-GOAT
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM
no she just officially withdraw now :shrug:

Shivank17
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:38 PM
She never entered?! :shrug:

I guess like last year she kept an option to take a WC if she loses early at Miami.

madmax
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I'm sure she is crying in her sleep now that she is gonna receive a zero from Charleston of them all...:oh:

Christinawww
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Maria doesn't even play 16 or more events in a year, so it doesn't really matter

Stonerpova
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Maria doesn't even play 16 or more events in a year, so it doesn't really matter

This. Sharapova only has 15 events on her ranking anyway.

Queenpova
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Lady Aga coming for that #1

jimbo mack
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Sensible decision - she has just reached 2 consecutive finals of huge tournaments - why risk her health by playing for the 5th week in a row? More players should be encouraged to do this to protect themselves from injuries.

Screw the WTA's 0 pointer - the longer this Roadmap and it's rules has gone on..the more and more players are caring less. Good to see imo!

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Is it just me or is Radwanska playing every single tournament :scratch:

Shivank17
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Yes of course. :rolls:

She ain't playing Copenhagen though. :eek: :oh:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Yes of course. :rolls:

She ain't playing Copenhagen though. :eek: :oh:

Well Caroline has to win something!!! :p

Jorn
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:26 PM
There can only be 1 TOP tenner in MM's...

madmax
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Well Caroline has to win something!!! :p

touche:p
At this rate even New Havens and Brussels of this world might become too tough for danish delight...

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:30 PM
touche:p
At this rate even New Havens and Brussels of this world might become too tough for danish delight...

Well, we do have Babos and Vecino in top competition now. No tournament is safe! :lol:

Charlatan
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM

:happy: :oh:

Vincey!
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:34 PM
As if anyone really expected her to play after being in both finals....I'm not sure about that 0 pointer tho? I thought it was only if you'd miss your 2nd premier 5???

SHILIN-GOAT
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:37 PM
This. Sharapova only has 15 events on her ranking anyway.

she has 15 now and with this 0, 16

and now she won't earn any points unless she gets more than 120 points

SHILIN-GOAT
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:38 PM
As if anyone really expected her to play after being in both finals....I'm not sure about that 0 pointer tho? I thought it was only if you'd miss your 2nd premier 5???

she gets a 0 because Charleston was one of her P700 commitments for 2012

Vincey!
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:41 PM
she gets a 0 because Charleston was one of her P700 commitments for 2012

oh ok! I odn't know what tht is but I believe you. There's more and more silly rules now with the rankings.

Maria rocks
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:53 PM

She is the 2012 Caroline Wozniacki:lol:

Tennis Observer
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM
no she just officially withdraw now :shrug:
Although never expected Maria to play in Charleston, this information (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=21192885&postcount=168) provided by tenisboss is very strange!

On February 22nd 2012 The Boiled Egg (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20998567&postcount=16) confirmed that Maria Sharapova entered Family Circle Cup. The tournament announced in a press release on March 1st, 2012 (http://www.familycirclecup.com/pages/articles/20120301110823.pdf) the players field, which has has been officially provided to the tournament by the WTA. Maria Sharapova was neither included nor was she in the updated version of tournaments' players field (http://www.familycirclecup.com/pages/articles/20090123164434.html). What’s the rational for a tournament to hide the most marketable player other than knowing she will not play? To add to the confusion, WTA scheduled Maria the last two issues of Notes & Netcords Magazine for P700 Charleston.

Maria will only receive a mandatory 0 pointer (and no compensation for P700s) if she committed to P700 Charleston (as one of two P700 events). As WTA doesn't provide this information, this is (more likely a good) guess.
If she will receive a mandatory 0 pointer for P700 Charleston, it’s in addition to missing PM Beijing 2011her 2nd mandatory 0 pointer in a 52 weeks rollover period. Her 16th result is 120 points (P700 Stanford 2011). However, if these 120 points will effect her seeding is questionable.

dsanders06
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Oh, thank GOD for that- I was starting to worry with the lack of a withdrawal announcement that she actually WAS going to play it. Would've been such a total waste of potential training time and energy. Couldn't care less about the 0-pointer, as others have said it probably won't have an effect in practice because she plays so relatively few tournaments and it's not like she gives the slightest of shits about her ranking anyway.

Now please just play Stuttgart and Rome, fuck the "Mandatory" Madrid :lol:

Tennis Observer
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Aga plays a lot for sure (25-4, all three losses to WTA # 1 Victoria Azarenka + QF w/o in KL) and her decision to play MM events might also be sweetened by tournaments (eg 220K Kuala Lumpur), but she didn't compete in Ps Brisbane & Paris [Indoors].

ServeCaspian
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Masha had already committed to Stuttgart and Paris before Charleston, there was only talk of this in the past few weeks. Anyways, with her schedule it hardly matters about the 0, don't understand why she got a 0 in Beijing when she was clearly injured?

LightWarrior
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Why would she get a zero pointer ? As far as I know Charleston is not mandatory...

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Aga plays a lot for sure (25-4, all three losses to WTA # 1 Victoria Azarenka + QF w/o in KL) and her decision to play MM events might also be sweetened by tournaments (eg 220K Kuala Lumpur), but she didn't compete in Ps Brisbane & Paris [Indoors].

I'm just kidding :wavey: I even like it when players play a lot of tournaments. It not whoring up points, it actually shows that they have great stamina. I'm not crazy about Radwanska, but if she can play 7 tournaments in the first three months (or 30 matches in the first 90 days) that's :worship:

Tennis Observer
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Masha had already committed to Stuttgart and Paris before Charleston, there was only talk of this in the past few weeks. Anyways, with her schedule it hardly matters about the 0, don't understand why she got a 0 in Beijing when she was clearly injured?

Top 10 Players had to submit their Minimum Commitment requirement Tournaments (= 4 P5s & 2 P700) to WTA, by End of December 2011 (WTA Official Rulebook, p 14).
As P700 Paris [Indoors]Paris 2012 had $ 637K prize money, it is not entitled to Top 10 players Commitment (WTA 2012 Official Rulebook, p 117).
PM Madrid is an Automatic Main Draw Entry Tournament. All players who are accepted into MD and subsequently withdraws and therefore fails to play the Tournament, will automatically receive zero points for the Tournament, and it will count on that player’s ranking as oneof her best 16 Tournament results (WTA 2012 Official Rulebook, p 227).

Tennis Observer
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Why would she get a zero pointer ? As far as I know Charleston is not mandatory...
As Mascha finished 2011 tour year as # 4. As a Top 10 player she has to commit to two out of seven P700 tournaments (Brisbane, Dubai, Charleston, Stuttgart, Stanford, Carlsbad & Moscow - as Paris [Indooes] has only a 637K minimum prize money, this event is not entitled to Player Commitment). If Maria committed to P700 Charleston she will recieve a mandatory 0 pointer as she don't play there.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM

same reason why Vika got a 0 for missing Dubai
Vika has TWO 0 pointers which remove over 500 pts from her total pts

C. Drone
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:22 PM
they wont cry after Queen Masha or Princess Karolina, they still have the Fan Favorite. :worship:

Shivank17
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:24 PM
they wont cry after Queen Masha or Princess Karolina, they still have the Fan Favorite. :worship:

This. :lol:

duhcity
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Don't know why anyone complains about the current system. It allows players to play far less and be more selective than the ATP system, and isn't that what we all want the players to have?

SHILIN-GOAT
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:37 AM

:spit:

yes the Fan Favorite will fill the stadium and guarantee high ratings especially on Eursport :oh:

Steven.
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:57 AM

:worship:

btw does anyone have a clue why she committed to charleston of all tournaments? It was so NID that she'd withdraw. Her main goals are now the slams and bigger tournaments and Charleston really serves no purpose on the calendar except maybe it's prestige or something... then again I can't really see her playing in any other tier 2 level tournaments outside Stanford.

Tennis Observer
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:36 AM
[...]does anyone have a clue why she committed to charleston of all tournaments? [...]I can't really see her playing in any other tier 2 level tournaments outside Stanford.
If Maria ...

will play at P700 Stanford (the week after Wimbledon), no.
don't play any other P700 than Stuttgart, yes: As Top 10 player she had to commit to two P700 tournaments.

Independently: Please note that WTA changed tournament categories after 2008 season and since 2009 there are no tier X level tournaments.

Shivank17
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:18 AM
:spit:

yes the Fan Favorite will fill the stadium and guarantee high ratings especially on Eursport :oh:

Like she filled the stands at Beijing. :oh:

WTAtennisfan15
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:07 AM
I just don't see Maria playing Stuttgart either!

LoLex
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
F#ck. I wanted Cynthia B. Zimmermann to design a room for her.

WTAtennisfan15
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:48 PM
^^ :spit:

SHILIN-GOAT
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:07 AM
Like she filled the stands at Beijing. :oh:

not only is she the Fan Favorite, she is a 2x Slam winner winning the 5th and 6th Slams :lol:

Malva
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:39 AM

She played only 3 more matches than Azarenka did.

BillFromRichmond
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:28 AM
Sensible decision - she has just reached 2 consecutive finals of huge tournaments - why risk her health by playing for the 5th week in a row? More players should be encouraged to do this to protect themselves from injuries.

Screw the WTA's 0 pointer - the longer this Roadmap and it's rules has gone on..the more and more players are caring less. Good to see imo!

Smart decision. We're coming off two very big tournaments and four in the last six week. I think you see from the performances of Vika and Roger Federer this week that burnout is a real thing. She has nothing to gain by playing again this week and there are many clay court tuneups before the French. I'm surprised that people like Aga and Bartoli are playing this week. From what I hear, Vika is not playing again for a month.

Tennis Observer
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:26 AM
Sensible decision - she has just reached 2 consecutive finals of huge tournaments - why risk her health by playing for the 5th week in a row? [...]
Be realistic: Look at Family Circle Cup's players field (http://www.familycirclecup.com/pages/articles/20120301110823.pdf) "officially provided to the tournament by the WTA" and released on March 1st (IW's Qualifying started on March 5th): As Maria was not on the list, she had no intentions to play there.

Tennis Observer
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
I wonder what her official excuse is going to be ... she knows she is going to get an injury at the end of the Miami final :lol: [...]
According to Notes & Netcords (http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/Notes&Netcords/2012/apr2.pdf) (Volume 36, Issue 11, p 2 from 4/2/12) neither Maria Sharapova nor Agnieszka Radwańska withdraw from P700 Charleston.

However, according to Issues 9 (http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/Notes&Netcords/2012/mar5.pdf) (p 1 from 3/05/12) & 10 (http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/Notes&Netcords/2012/mar19.pdf) (p 1 from 3/19/12) of the Official Newsletter of the WTA both Maria Sharapova and Agnieszka Radwańska were scheduled playing P700 Charleston.

On 3/01/12 (http://www.familycirclecup.com/pages/articles/20120301110823.pdf), Family Circle Cup informed the public that "singles player field has been officially provided to the tournament by the WTA" (bolding is mine). “Our world-class player field includes four Top 10 players (ref Agnieszka Radwańska, Samantha Stosur, Marion Bartoli & Vera Zvonareva), nine of the Top 20, Venus Williams, and incredible depth provided by many of the young stars of tomorrow,” said Eleanor Adams, Family Circle Cup Tournament Manager.

As WTA doesn't release Top 10 Players Committments (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=453901), IMO we can only guess if Maria commited to P700 Charleston. However, I don't think that the tournament manager forgot to mention the most marketable player, if she was included on the officially provided players list (think also on late withdrawal fines).

Slutiana
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Martha just posted on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150621798827680&set=a.377880637679.165569.65920772679&type=1&theater), saying that she's doing sponsor things in South Carolina. So she's probably also fulfilling those ACES commitments and will get no 0-pointer. Considering she was never on the actual entry list, I doubt she ever intended to play it anyway. She has found a nice loophole in the SEWTA rankings.

For those who don't know about that rule:

A Top 10 Player who, for any reason, fails to compete at a Premier
Mandatory or Premier 5 Tournament that is part of her Commitment (a
“Missed Tournament”) will be required to perform Option 1 or Option 2... (blah, blah, blah...)

a. The player may choose either:
i. Option 1: Attend the Missed Tournament and perform ACES
activities on a date designated by the WTA, in its sole discretion (maximum time commitment at the Missed Tournament
will be 24 hours); or
ii. Option 2: Perform ACES activities on one (1) of three (3) alternate dates outside of the Missed Tournament (“Alternate Dates”) designated by the WTA in consultation with the
Missed Tournament.