PDA

View Full Version : Is Wozniacki finally playing more aggressive?

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Although it's still going south for her (gotta defend Charleston title next), I recognized that Wozniacki is getting a little bit more aggressive. :bounce:

Maybe she finally learned her lesson. She even started to go through her forehand once in a while against Sharapova and Williams. :worship:

And it's interesting to see that her father is encouraging her to play more aggressive! He even nodded to her when she made a mistake. :eek:

Wozniacki will never play in Williams-style (she hit 15 winners to Sharapovas 50 overall) but maybe she could improve like Sanchez-Vicario once did? :sad:

They've got a lot in common but I'm afraid that Wozniacki doesn't have the touch to play as intelligent and mix as well as Sanchez did. :sad:

Anyway! I don't think she will fall apart like Safina did after becoming # 1! She's to ambitious and she desperatly wants to win a Slam.

She's still so young and I really hope she can improve her game. Not sure if she ever will be # 1 again but she needs to change her game to stay on Top Ten level.

She seems to understand that she can win a lot of matches the way she used to play but will always lose against the first inform top player she's gonna face.

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I guess she learned another lesson in that Sharapova match too: Not to waste the challenges so early!

So far she probabyl has the worst record of challenges on the tour. Btw: Are there any statistics about that? :O

She was so upset in the end but she was wrong again :D

Utterchaos
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Her style does not lend itself to aggressive ballstriking because of poor FH technique and the amount of mental energy she expends forcing herself to be aggressive. It's far easier to fall in her comfort zone and just keep theball in play. Thatdoesn't work on elite slam winning level. When up against a true offensive baseliners like Kvitova, WS, Sharapova, the match will always be on their racquet; if such players are having a positive W/UE ratio and striking the ball with conviction, she will always be overwhelmed.

metamorpha
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:51 AM
She's not playing aggressively that much... Her forehand is still tame.

Apoleb
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:51 AM
She's trying to step in more on the backhand, which is good to see. Her returning position on the second serve was almost too aggressive in that third set after Piotr came down, and that cost her a lot. On the forehand though she's still a mess. It's better than what it was before, but it's still not there. Except for those couple of games 2-5 down where she actually managed to outhit Crapova, and timed everything including the return very well and balls were landing heavy and deep at Crapova's feet.

The only way forward for her is to become a better caricature of Nadal i.e hit the forehand with consistent depth. And I'm not talking about routinely hitting the baseline, but just not giving up shanks on the service line. Then she can win slams.

Brena
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Well, she seemed very aggressive towards the umpire at the end, so I have to say yes.

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Her style does not lend itself to aggressive ballstriking because of poor FH technique and the amount of mental energy she expends forcing herself to be aggressive. It's far easier to fall in her comfort zone and just keep theball in play. Thatdoesn't work on elite slam winning level. When up against a true offensive baseliners like Kvitova, WS, Sharapova, the match will always be on their racquet; if such players are having a positive W/UE ratio and striking the ball with conviction, she will always be overwhelmed.

People used to say the same about Arantxa Sanchez. Of course she never got a Steffi-like-forehand, but she did something with it. And she started to come to net more and more.

Would it be a good thing to play more doubles for Wozniacki??? :confused:

Right now I don't see her playing like Sanchez cause she just doesn't have this variaty of shots and she still looks extremly poor at the net and playing drop-shots :tape:

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Well, she seemed very aggressive towards the umpire at the end, so I have to say yes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brad[le]y.
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:59 AM
she always seems to play a random aggressive match every now and then. Like Hopman Cup vs. Petra, and now here vs. Serena. But then she immediately goes back to being passive in the next match.

I didn't watch her match vs. Sharapova though so I don't have a say in that.

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
The thing is that it's very had for Wozniacki to have a positive balance between winners and unforced errors. She hits so few winners that it is almost impossible to have less errors.

That's why she needs to change her game against Top players! Although she's been # 1 for quite a while, her game is quite incomplete and she still has got a long way to go...

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:03 AM
she always seems to play a random aggressive match every now and then. Like Hopman Cup vs. Petra, and now here vs. Serena. But then she immediately goes back to being passive in the next match.

I don't think she was aggressive against Serena - there was no need to, but she really was aggressive against Sharapova, esp. in the last two or three games.

Well, for her standard ;)

chingching
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:05 AM
The problem for Caroline is that she has an ultimatum. Learn to play agressive now and lose matches, sending her ranking south but giving her the potential to win a Grand Slam, or staying defensive, hovering around the top 10 but never really ever achieveing anything great

Utterchaos
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:05 AM
People used to say the same about Arantxa Sanchez. Of course she never got a Steffi-like-forehand, but she did something with it. And she started to come to net more and more.

Would it be a good thing to play more doubles for Wozniacki??? :confused:

Right now I don't see her playing like Sanchez cause she just doesn't have this variaty of shots and she still looks extremly poor at the net and playing drop-shots :tape:

ASV has variety, good at the net etc. Caro is not good at the net, bad slice, etc..What she needs to do is watch Clijsters play, especially early in her career and try to become a defensive grinder rather than pusher. Hit the ball with some purpose and work the point, look for an opportunity to put away short ball. FH needs improvements as well, it's being exploited in all of her losses - often used to reset a rally to neutral by hitting to her FH because it sits up too short and lacks huge spin..aka puffball.

Brad[le]y.
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I don't think she was aggressive against Serena - there was no need to, but she really was aggressive against Sharapova, esp. in the last two or three games.

Well, for her standard ;)

she hit 12 winners against Serena, very aggressive for her standards :D

especially considering she only hit 4 in their USO semi :lol:

PMBH
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:34 AM
The problem for Caroline is that she has an ultimatum. Learn to play agressive now and lose matches, sending her ranking south but giving her the potential to win a Grand Slam, or staying defensive, hovering around the top 10 but never really ever achieveing anything great

There's no doubt Caro is becoming more aggressive. She started that process after Wimby last year but it's only really starting to show itself now. Especially on the BH side.

The process she's going through in many ways resembles that of BFF Aga, who has gradually also become a lot more offensive over the past couple of years. Neither of them will ever be considered attacking players compared to the likes of Kvitova or Serena. But the end result might just be enough for them to win a few slams.

Israel
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Bold prediction: Wozniacki will finish 10th after adapting a more agressive game.
A year later she would end up being ranked higher though in my opinion.

bandabou
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Forehand is still too big a weakness..doesn't lend itself for agression. Backhand is solid..but the forehand can still be jammed.

Sombrerero loco
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:18 AM
she is trying too, but needs so badly her confidence back...

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'm not Wozniacki fan but you gotta admit that Miami was her best tournament for more than a year!

kuroishijin
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I'm not Wozniacki fan but you gotta admit that Miami was her best tournament for more than a year!

I am also not fun and agree.

There is obvious improvement in her game, in some occasions she fired shots that I never saw from her before and from forehand side too.

It would be interesting to watch how she would do rest of the season.

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Definitely. She now stares violently at the umpire while not shaking hands. That's what I call being aggressive. :spit:

Mr.Sharapova
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:40 AM

:haha::haha::spit:.

laurie
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:57 AM

The winners yesterday was like 50 winners to Sharapova and about 10 to Wozniacki in about 2hrs 30 minutes of tennis. That indicates Wozniacki has a long way to go to matching her opponents for aggressive play, especially in the big tournaments when the spotlight is much bigger.

Carsten
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:39 PM
She will never play agressive because it's not her natural playing style, she would not be successful if she would play much more agressive. Her game will always be based on getting the balls in. That doesn't mean she can't hit winners here and there, but she'll never hit someone off the court by doing that.

Excelscior
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM

Considering she's already been number one for 50+ weeks (or what ever it was), that appears to be a "been there, done that" scenario already. Plus she's already made lots of dough off of that #1 ranking, so I would take the later suggestion you presented.

The Question is, will she and her daddy do it? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Gestalt222
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM
She doesn't need to be as aggressive as Serena or Kvitova. If she can mix up her aggression and placement she can win a few slams, her serve has already improved. Her forehand will always be a weakness and she still has trouble flattening it out consistently, but she can move it around the court well. I'm not a Woz fan but I'm beginning to like her game.

Queenpova
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM
huh? she kept pushing and pushing yesterday except for like 3 games at the end

Sammo
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM
The first thing I read was 'Is Wozniacki's family playing more aggressive?'. I was like, lol wut? :lol:

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I dont think she was more aggressive this tournament.
Her backhand was always a solid shot. I thought Sharapova won a lot of those crosscourt backhand rallies. Hit some great angles. That was a big factor in that match. Also, serve is huge for everyone, and Caroline has to get good 1st serves in when it matters. She didnt do that against Maria.

But I think she's getting back in form, and she has a lot to prove at these next 2 majors. She's underachieved at both so far in her career

dsanders06
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I dont think she was more aggressive this tournament.
Her backhand was always a solid shot. I thought Sharapova won a lot of those crosscourt backhand rallies. Hit some great angles. That was a big factor in that match. Also, serve is huge for everyone, and Caroline has to get good 1st serves in when it matters. She didnt do that against Maria.

But I think she's getting back in form, and she has a lot to prove at these next 2 majors. She's underachieved at both so far in her career

When does she ever get good first serves in? :lol:

Mynarco
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Her forehand remains uninspiring

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Playing agressive in 20% of the match against Sharapova (and that was when she didn't have anything else to do) doesn't make she is more agressive overall :shrug:

P.S. People who voted for "retired" :facepalm:

Shivank17
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Top 5 or Top 10. :shrug:

SwingVolley93
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/kenity/tumblr_lv1slbim7b1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

marineblue
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:15 PM
No, she is not. She will always be a counterpuncher. Her style has suffered because she tried to become an aggressive player but then understood that is not necessary as every player has their style. It's a shame that it took her so long to realise that.

marineblue
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:16 PM
She will never play agressive because it's not her natural playing style, she would not be successful if she would play much more agressive. Her game will always be based on getting the balls in. That doesn't mean she can't hit winners here and there, but she'll never hit someone off the court by doing that.

This. Well said.

edificio
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Not really.

Sammo
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Top 5 I guess

'Retired or worse' :spit: What's worse supposed to be? Dead? :haha:

C. Drone
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:17 PM
always amaze me what people see into her game, time after time.

NashaMasha
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:47 PM
This!!

I consider that Caro really can improve her attacking skills, but she should not do it. No way this improvements will help her in matches against Sharapova or any other fit aggressive players.
At the same time if she tries to play more variable and will not day by day train her defensive skills and on the court will be thinking about her shots in the rally (not playing like a robot ) she is likely to lose to "nobodies" in the first , second rounds

I do not like the way she plays tennis and she will never be respected as a great tennis player and innumerous number of people will be "throwing rotten tomatoes" on her. Nevertheless, if she continues her boring ballbashing and moonballing she will for sure achieve much, because will be losing only to very limited group of players. reach QF, SF . Maybe no Slams , but her career will be quite successful
As soon as she decides that her game strategy is weak and she should change something in her tennis skills she will disappear form the top 20 very quickly

Miracle Worker
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Yes. She hit few winners against Masha :oh: And she even had some net attacks.

And poll's question - she will finished this season in TOP10, but not in TOP5.

LoLex
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I actually think she played more agressive when she entered the tour.