PDA

View Full Version : Cold Sprite or 7up can cure fever?

donellcarey
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Well I'm suffering from a fever right now, using the traditional way trying to stop it (medicine, medico ethanol and stuff), but seems to work quite little tbh. And then my friends told me that a big bottle of cold Sprite or 7up is good for curing fever, I mean, is it true? Anyone's ever tried that?:confused:

Anyway, just curious, if this traditional way isn't helping then tomorrow I'm going to try Sprite or 7up, or both...:lol:

Pump-it-UP
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Ginger Ale is best.

donellcarey
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Ginger Ale is best.

What is that? Ginger with boiled coca cola/pepsi?

KournikovaFan91
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I think the doctor told my mother to give me 7up when I was younger and sick.

So yeah I think it can help.

Super Dave
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I don't see how it can help, but it can't really hurt, either.

As a parent, I've been told to let the fever run it's course if it's under 101F (38.3 C). Anything over that, use Tylenol (acetaminophen). Milder fevers are a good thing as it shows your body is fighting an infection.

GoofyDuck
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I knew someone who was a nurse and she said drinking cola was good when your stomach hurts, it did help! :)

matthias
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:44 PM
something with quinine would be the best i guess

SVK
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I knew someone who was a nurse and she said drinking cola was good when your stomach hurts, it did help! :)

Yep, drinking cola really helps a lot in that case, stomach will get a needed sugar bomb, of course you can´t drink whole bottle in 5 minutes...it´s not very helpful when you have more serious problems like stomach flu though.

I remember my doctor told me to drink a bit of cold cola when I had a sore throat(!) so probably those soda drinks are more helpful than we think...however for fever I used to take medicaments with paracetamol, they are actually pretty reliable here.

Elisse
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Tonic water or just take an asperin...both will help take your temperature down :)

Sammo
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Cold drinks hurt, when you have fever you usually have your throat swollen and cold drinks will only make it worse. I've always heard that tonic water helps tho :)

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM
In my country, 100Plus.:oh:

FORZA SARITA
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I remember my doctor told me to drink a bit of cold cola when I had a sore throat(!)

i usually drink white martini :lol: it really helps :drool:

Nicolás89
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I could never take that much sugar at once. :o

M.P
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Here people drink boiled coke with lemon or ginger when you having cold or something

Super Dave
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
What is that? Ginger with boiled coca cola/pepsi?

We have a few brands of ginger ale here in the US...just another soda flavor. Raspberry ginger ale is really good.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f2/Vernors_GingerSoda.jpg/220px-Vernors_GingerSoda.jpg http://www.cvcoffee.com/prod_images_blowup/Schweppes_Ginger_Ale2.jpg

donellcarey
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Cold drinks hurt, when you have fever you usually have your throat swollen and cold drinks will only make it worse. I've always heard that tonic water helps tho :)

Seems like tonic water is a good choice

I don't know if Gin Tonic is of any help, my favorite alcohol drink:oh:

donellcarey
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:50 PM
i usually drink white martini :lol: it really helps :drool:
I really can't with martini :sobbing:

donellcarey
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I could never take that much sugar at once. :o

Por?:lol:

donellcarey
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Here people drink boiled coke with lemon or ginger when you having cold or something

That's such a Cantonese way:oh:

Yea I've heard of that thing too, but they say it's only for babys

donellcarey
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:52 PM
We have a few brands of ginger ale here in the US...just another soda flavor. Raspberry ginger ale is really good.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f2/Vernors_GingerSoda.jpg/220px-Vernors_GingerSoda.jpg http://www.cvcoffee.com/prod_images_blowup/Schweppes_Ginger_Ale2.jpg

Too bad we don't have it here in Ecuador...

edificio
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Chicken soup or Hot and Sour soup AND lots of sugarless liquids is best for a cold. For a fever, water. (Soda is not really good.) A fever just needs liquids to keep dehydration at bay.

Sammo
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Seems like tonic water is a good choice

I don't know if Gin Tonic is of any help, my favorite alcohol drink:oh:

Indeed, its discoverer was a guy who drank water which had been 'contamined' with a strange liquid that had fallen from a tree, he found out that something was wrong when his flu had gone. That liquid was quinine, one of the ingredients of tonic water.

donellcarey
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Sí! Está en muchos medicamentos para curar la fiebre!:lol:

Okay it strikes me again, this afternoon I had 36.8° and I thought it was cured, so I went to work, and by now I have almost 39° and I'm sure that this afternoon I've had higher temperature:o

Darop.
Mar 31st, 2012, 12:06 AM
7up and ginger ale don't cure your fever, they just give you some energy and the lemony flavour is easy on the stomach :p

Moveyourfeet
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:50 AM
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I had a week long fever about a month ago and it was awful, so can totally empathize.

There is no 'cure' for a fever. If you feel dehydrated from excessive sweating then go for it, otherwise, sprite has no effect on febrile illness.

However, a steady regimen of an antipyretic like acetaminophen or ibuprofen should do the trick.

Some people believe that fever reducers aren't necessary since febrile symptoms are an indication of the body fighting off illness, and antipyretics weaken the immune system. I can see that for a child, but if you are over 30, take the meds.

Melange
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:25 PM
drinking Mountain Dew is good for preventing heart disease