PDA

View Full Version : Not shaking hands - punishment?

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I think it's not good behaviour from the top athletes since we have more and more "cocky" youngsters.
I played tennis and I can really understand them, like Caroline today, but when you are a big PRO than you should have in your mind that millions are watching you...it really looks ugly :rolleyes:
Should they be punished when they decline to shake opponents and/or umpires hands?

Young 8
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
No

It's an act of courtesy

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
no... may be a small fine, but nothing serious.

chingching
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Nothing serious. I know that the match is finisahed but maybe some sort of violation

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
No

It's an act of courtesy

No, it's an act of SPORTSMANSHIP, that's why footballers shake hands with their opponents before the match, volleyball players after the match, etc...

And that's all 'cause little kids look up to them. That's why nowadays we have so much :rolleyes: kids playing tennis, yelling at umpires, calling their opponents "bitch, asshole..." and so one. Part of that they pick up from the house, but who can blame them when they see Top 10 player doing the same thing on TV :shrug:

Markus
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM
No, just because you do not follow this PC crap you should not be punished.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM
no... may be a small fine, but nothing serious.

Like if you do it three times in 12 months you have to practise serve tossing with Ana Ivanović? :lol:

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Like if you do it three times in 12 months you have to practise serve tossing with Ana Ivanović? :lol:

or even worse, you have to return her serve for 2 hours everyday:p

Steven.
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:54 PM
lol no. It doesn't harm anyone and besides it's in the heat of the moment. Let it slide.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM
or even worse, you have to return her serve for 2 hours everyday:p

Now that would be an award, eventually they would learn something from that :angel:

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Now that would be an award, eventually they would learn something from that :angel:

yes, they would learn that a toss does not mean she will serve, she may catch the ball like 3-4 times before serving;)

Stonerpova
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Nah. All players should have the right to make complete asses of themselves :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Nah. All players should have the right to make complete asses of themselves :lol:

:lol:

To be honest it is amusing to watch them acting like brats :oh:

GOATdin0931
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Wait, did Caroline not shake Maria's hand!? :eek:

Kasey
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Suuure. They should also fine lower-ranked players in case they beat higher-ranked ones.

Stonerpova
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Wait, did Caroline not shake Maria's hand!? :eek:

No she did. She just didn't shake Nouni's.

Markus
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:05 PM
:confused:No, it's an act of SPORTSMANSHIP, that's why footballers shake hands with their opponents before the match, volleyball players after the match, etc...

And that's all 'cause little kids look up to them. That's why nowadays we have so much :rolleyes: kids playing tennis, yelling at umpires, calling their opponents "bitch, asshole..." and so one. Part of that they pick up from the house, but who can blame them when they see Top 10 player doing the same thing on TV :shrug:

Seriously it should be the choice of every pro to act as a role model
or not. They have do deal on their own with possible impacts on
endorsements, public awareness, etc...This should nothing be worthy
to be regulated

GOATdin0931
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Nice Caroline! :bowdown:

You were right anyway :shrug:

NashaMasha
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Caroline should be definitely punished, Sharapova+ Nouni should be added to Copenhagen cast(wildcard to the final, of course)

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Suuure. They should also fine lower-ranked players in case they beat higher-ranked ones.

And that has to do with what I wrote 'cause the aliens are invading on Poland right now? :rolleyes:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:11 PM
:confused:

Seriously it should be the choice of every pro to act as a role model
or not. They have do deal on their own with possible impacts on
endorsements, public awareness, etc...This should nothing be worthy
to be regulated

They should act as a role model...it's almost their duty :shrug:
They aren't obliged to do it, but they should.

Markus
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:17 PM

This is typical fairy tale stuff and not the real world. I do not want
to see Disneyland with players forced to act nice and polite. If
they are - ok, but if not why should they be forced to act this way?
Not a fan of mind control here

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:23 PM
This is typical fairy tale stuff and not the real world. I do not want
to see Disneyland with players forced to act nice and polite. If
they are - ok, but if not why should they be forced to act this way?
Not a fan of mind control here

That's like telling your son that he doesn't have to say "Good day" to an older person living in your building. It's not mandatory, but is a nice behaviour and when you are pro athlete, TOP pro athlete, it's even more important to be polite 'cause millions are watching...

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they should be slapped aroung 'cause they didn't shake umpires hand :lol: I just think that people should realize that it's important...

Tennis Observer
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:38 PM
From USTA Chair Umpire Handbook (http://assets.usta.com/assets/650/USTA_Import/Northern/dps/doc_37_2132.pdf)

What to Do at the End of the Match?
3. Shake hands with the player(s) if the player(s) extends their hand.
BTW: [30]Bethanie Mattek Sands didnít extend her hands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FAxx4srMN8) to Chair Umpire after her R1 loss against Misaki Doi at Wimbledon last year.

Markus
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:38 PM
That's like telling your son that he doesn't have to say "Good day" to an older person living in your building. It's not mandatory, but is a nice behaviour and when you are pro athlete, TOP pro athlete, it's even more important to be polite 'cause millions are watching...
Ok just to finish this discussion - your point is well taken. But simply
showing bad manners should never be any cause for punishment.
Nobody should be FORCED to act polite. It is your own decision
and you have to deal with it anyway in reagards of your reputation.

pov
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:46 PM
No. Hell no! I like to see people being polite but I strongly think that trying to force people to be so or punishing them when they're not - ain't the way to get there.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
"The post-game handshake is respect for the game and for the spirit of competition, not for the specific person one shakes hands with." - THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

Kasey
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:03 PM

Markus
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:07 PM
"The post-game handshake is respect for the game and for the spirit of competition, not for the specific person one shakes hands with." - THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!
Yes i got that:) So you are violating social norms and that is
something society should make its judgement about. Not something
which should be officially punished.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:18 PM

OBLIGED - To constrain by physical, legal, social, or moral means.
So I said that they aren't obliged by a RULE
Got it now? :wavey:

Yes i got that:) So you are violating social norms and that is
something society should make its judgement about. Not something
which should be officially punished.

Yeah, you're right. I was more into saying that it's wrong not to do it. :)

StoneRose
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:55 AM
No way. That would be excessive.

shoparound
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Even Ana would have been fined if this was the case. AO 08 she didn't shake the umpire's hand after one match (I think it was vs Julia)

kris719
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:42 AM
it's an unwritten rule, like many in life. if you don't do it you come off looking like an asshole. definitely a mistake by caro, not something i expect from her.

V-MAC
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Serena's beau has his own unique way of dealing with umpires:oh:
http://www.grigor-dimitrov.com/news/show/article/dimitrov-was-fined-in-helsinki-for-pushing-the-umpire

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Even Ana would have been fined if this was the case. AO 08 she didn't shake the umpire's hand after one match (I think it was vs Julia)

Everyone should be boooooed for not shaking opponents or umpires hand! ;)

Sianta
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:27 AM
While I think it's polite, courteous and respectful to shake hands with both the opponent & the umpire, there shouldn't be an enforced punishment. In the real world if you are not polite, courteous and respectful there are consequences. Same goes for tennis, players will have to deal with being booed, criticized and if frequent offenders, they may even lose endorsements. I'm sure they can work out the potential consequences, so it's their choice not to shake then they can deal with the fall out and indirect punishment.

gc-spurs
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:39 AM
While I think it's polite, courteous and respectful to shake hands with both the opponent & the umpire, there shouldn't be an enforced punishment. In the real world if you are not polite, courteous and respectful there are consequences. Same goes for tennis, players will have to deal with being booed, criticized and if frequent offenders, they may even lose endorsements. I'm sure they can work out the potential consequences, so it's their choice not to shake then they can deal with the fall out and indirect punishment.

Yup. Pretty much life :)

LoLex
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:48 AM
The match is over after last point. No one can force me to shake someone's hand. Everyone has right not do it.

The Kaz
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Nouni is the most incompentent (and arrogant) umpire out there and doesn't deserve to shake the hands of the pro's.

I'm on Caro's side :)

Betten
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Of course not. The boos of the crowd are usually punishment enough. When Berdych didn't shake hands with Almagro you couldn't even hear his post-match interview because the crowd kept booing him.

Shooter
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Nouni is the most incompentent (and arrogant) umpire out there and doesn't deserve to shake the hands of the pro's.

I'm on Caro's side :) The umpire should overrule if he's sure the linesman's call was incorrect. In this case Nouni was sure, so he did the right thing. The replay showed Nouni to be correct. It would have unfair to Maria if he did not overrule. I've seen Nouni call many matches on TV and live. He seems very competent to me.

It is the player's right not to shake hands with their opponent or an umpire.
I don't think a player should be fined for not doing so.
I also think Caroline acted childish in this particular case.
You shake the umpire's hand to thank him for calling the match.
If an umpire does a good job for 90 minutes and makes one mistake, he should still be thanked.
Of course Nouni did not make a mistake today. His call was correct.

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Punishment? Why?

Is there a rule that you gotta shake hands??? :O

Utterchaos
Mar 30th, 2012, 08:14 AM

:weirdo:

The umpire was correct. Even if he did overrule (which would be BS), Sharapova was gonna challenge that serve anyway, so she'd still get first serve back.

bandabou
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:33 AM
The umpire was correct..nothing more to add.

Maria rocks
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:35 AM
No she did. She just didn't shake Nouni's.

Don't blame her to be honest.

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM

This.

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Honestly, so Caroline was upset. She didn't scream profanities, threaten anyone or slag off the umpire. She was just upset. Big deal. You'd think she'd abducted a child the way some people are reacting.

gc-spurs
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Honestly, so Caroline was upset. She didn't scream profanities, threaten anyone or slag off the umpire. She was just upset. Big deal. You'd think she'd abducted a child the way some people are reacting.

We're all VERY upset our Princess has no logic :sobbing:

longtin23
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:06 PM
No
A tennis player is still a person, sometimes if you are pissed, it;s just normal

The Kaz
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:51 AM
The umpire should overrule if he's sure the linesman's call was incorrect. In this case Nouni was sure, so he did the right thing. The replay showed Nouni to be correct. It would have unfair to Maria if he did not overrule. I've seen Nouni call many matches on TV and live. He seems very competent to me.

It is the player's right not to shake hands with their opponent or an umpire.
I don't think a player should be fined for not doing so.
I also think Caroline acted childish in this particular case.
You shake the umpire's hand to thank him for calling the match.
If an umpire does a good job for 90 minutes and makes one mistake, he should still be thanked.
Of course Nouni did not make a mistake today. His call was correct.

I have 5 words for you

Nalbandian vs. Isner 2012 AO

perseus2006
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:48 AM
One important thing that hasn't been said: the tv audience knew that Kader made the correct call But Woz did not know that at the time. The Hawkeye vid was not shown in the stadium! She probably didn't see it until after her interview.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:52 AM
One important thing that hasn't been said: the tv audience knew that Kader made the correct call But Woz did not know that at the time. The Hawkeye vid was not shown in the stadium! She probably didn't see it until after her interview.

Actually journalists told her it was a good call and she continued to attack Kader...