Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Barktra
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM
A disscusion of Petra's clay court tournaments

Stuttgart
Madrid
Rome

Post tournament draws, match reports, pictures, and any thing you can think of

I think their should be a separate cheering thread for Roland Garros.

LESS GOOO Petra :cheer:

Petronius
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM
:cheer:

18majors
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Go Petra!

plokploky
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hopefully at least 2 wins for petra(stut. and madrid)

Come on Petra.

Utterchaos
Mar 31st, 2012, 02:41 AM
She should do just fine on clay. Gives her chance to line up those massive groundies. I am expecting a title in Stuttgart.

bruce goose
Mar 31st, 2012, 06:18 AM
Good luck when the right-colored;) clay season starts,Petra

JoPova
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:00 PM
It's time for Petra to start winning tournaments again! Defending her Madrid title would be great, but I'd particularly love to see her winning Rome actually! \

Mynarco
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:47 AM
I just found out she didn't play Stuttgart last year :eek:

Sharapovian
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
I just found out she didn't play Stuttgart last year :eek:

She only played 2 clay court tournaments last year IIRC. (Madrid + and of course RG), but 3 if you count Prague.

Excelscior
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
She only played 2 clay court tournaments last year IIRC. (Madrid + and of course RG), but 3 if you count Prague.

That's correct Yazoo.

She didn't play Rome either Chrono.

I of course don't count Prague. That was the ITF favor/kept promise that made her miss Rome.

Mynarco
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM
I want to see her do well in Stuttgart. Indoor would put her in advantage

Excelscior
Apr 1st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Who cares about Indoor?

It's all an illusion (for all of us), and in Petra's head.

Now we're gonna lie our hopes in Petra playing on indoor Clay and grass now as well? Lol.

Come on guys!! Lol.

If Petra doesn't get her head, health and outlook straight, it's not going to matter where she plays.

I'm sure being in Europe (and away from the US), seeing clay, and being in better mental and physical health should help her, more than any indoor clay tennis court would.

We'll see?

bruce goose
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Actually,the first domed stadium used in major pro sports in North America,the Houston Astrodome,originally had a grass field.The designers created a roof that allowed prisms of sunlight to stream in and nourish the indoor grass.........Unfortunately,those same prisms created an impossible-to-solve,kaleidoscope-type background for baseball outfielders who looked skyward to catch fly balls.........And so designers went back to the drawing board and replaced the roof with thicker fabric that wouldn't let so much light in---and then the grass began dying with insufficient sunlight...eventually,artificial turf was settled on as a compromise

I apologize to any posters who didn't find the above post even remotely worthwhile,but I blame a good part of that on Petra for not playing much and giving us any tennis to chat about:p.Honestly,though,the Wimbledon grass is often so pathetic and sickly-looking that I doubt that old Astrodome grass could've been any worse.The AELTC could build a completely-domed facility and then plant some sod a few weeks before the big,annual event.It's not as if we'd be missing any trace of aesthetic beauty in London's perpetually-gray skies or smoggy air;what's the average amount of sunlight,anyway---2 or 3 days per year:lol:?While I agree with the posters who say that Petra is HARDLY incapable of outdoor success,she could have an inerasable place in tennis history as the first-ever indoor Wimbledon champ:cool:....Now let's see if we can persuade the Frogs to move RG to Stuttgart;)

Geekking
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
She is training in Turkey atm but don't know where :rolleyes: Is there anyone who knows where she is training in Turkey? I miss her to watch, if someone knows please let me know!

paulmara
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Last year they mentioned Antalya. I think it is the same place. She was talking about beach running.

Hello from Belek, Turkey!

http://www.goldenswing.net/userimgs/turkey_belek_map.jpg

Coconut91
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
She should do just fine on clay. Gives her chance to line up those massive groundies. I am expecting a title in Stuttgart.

Yeah, I'm very positive about Stuttgart. It's a good surface for her on paper, and I can totally see her defending Madrid and doing well in Rome as well. Clay is looking exciting as a Petra fan. :bounce:

TimeyWimey
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
anyone think the Fed Cup SF will be a disaster for Petra to prepare Stuttgart, considering what happened in February?

TimeyWimey
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I'm very positive about Stuttgart. It's a good surface for her on paper, and I can totally see her defending Madrid and doing well in Rome as well. Clay is looking exciting as a Petra fan. :bounce:

back to Europe, back to rhythm :angel:

bruce goose
Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
At the very least,perhaps leaving the U.S. will give Petra the positive mentality to make a fresh start

18majors
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM
At the very least,perhaps leaving the U.S. will give Petra the positive mentality to make a fresh start

Petra will be fresh for both FedCup and Stuttgart, won't be surprised that she plays great.

Spring Pools
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
anyone think the Fed Cup SF will be a disaster for Petra to prepare Stuttgart, considering what happened in February?

Nah... Julia indoors is really good.
I think that Petra has a good shot and winning Stuttgart, Madrid and RG

Mynarco
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
^Don't get too far ahead :lol:

Spring Pools
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
^Don't get too far ahead :lol:

Eh, if it rains a lot and she plays most of her matches on indoor clay, she'll be unstoppable.

TimeyWimey
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:51 AM
Nah... Julia indoors is really good.
I think that Petra has a good shot and winning Stuttgart, Madrid and RG

that would be too much for me to handle, 3470 points in one month :lol: :lol:

bruce goose
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:34 AM
Eh, if it rains a lot and she plays most of her matches on indoor clay,Is there a connection there?If it'll help Petra at all,I'll bribe one of the maintenance crew to subtly activate the fire-prevention sprinkler system and water down the indoor clay court:devil:

TimeyWimey
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:55 AM
Is there a connection there?If it'll help Petra at all,I'll bribe one of the maintenance crew to subtly activate the fire-prevention sprinkler system and water down the indoor clay court:devil:

not too much, she can not swim!

TimeyWimey
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:01 AM
Eh, if it rains a lot and she plays most of her matches on indoor clay, she'll be unstoppable.

no roof in Rome or RG currently, but from Wikipedia

...a retractable roof will be installed on the Philippe Chatrier court, and the size of the venue will be expanded by 60%

18majors
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Roof or not, Petra will play well.

Coconut91
Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Anyway, it's not like the lack of roof prevented her from dismantling Vika last year in Madrid F. :lol:

bruce goose
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:03 PM
Anyway, it's not like the lack of roof prevented her from dismantling Vika last year in Madrid F. :lol:?Vas a` ver Petra este an~o a` la Caja Magica?

TimeyWimey
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Anyway, it's not like the lack of roof prevented her from dismantling Vika last year in Madrid F. :lol:

yeah, it's time to finally make some valid prediction

bruce goose
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
yeah, it's time to finally make some valid predictionBtw,'ya veremos' wouldn't be appropriate in this case b/c Petra would have a LOT of explaining to do if she didn't show up in Madrid---it would have to be a serious injury,the sort that kept her out for a while,for her to not defend her title there....unlike Charleston,where defending champs consider it "skippable":lol:

TimeyWimey
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
Btw,'ya veremos' wouldn't be appropriate in this case b/c Petra would have a LOT of explaining to do if she didn't show up in Madrid---it would have to be a serious injury,the sort that kept her out for a while,for her to not defend her title there....unlike Charleston,where defending champs consider it "skippable":lol:

most likely Petra will be so in love with the sacre-bleu and totally forget why she is in the magic box

bruce goose
Apr 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Almost forgot to ask....and aye DID forget the earlier news....?Is the next Fed Cup tie in the CR??And,if it IS,will they be playing on CLAY or will it be the typical indoor hardcourt arena that's often used for FC events??

Mynarco
Apr 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM
the tie will be played in Ostrava (Indoor Hard)

bruce goose
Apr 10th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the confirmation

Mynarco
Apr 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Kerber is on fire indoors atm :unsure:
I hope Ludmila won't get her in Stuttgart

naranka
Apr 15th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Kerber is on fire indoors atm :unsure:
I hope Ludmila won't get her in Stuttgart

This subform is for someone named Petra Kvitova. Can you show a little respect and use her real name? This TF penchant for pet names is annoying and juvenile.

Jan_S
Apr 15th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I am still confused about this strange "nickname". Why was it brought to light on TF in relation with Petra? By the way, Ludmila is a nice czech first name, usually used in its shortened form LŪda. For instance, LŪda FormanovŠ used to be a top class (world champion once) 800m runner from Czech Republic.

Petronius
Apr 15th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Here are the origins of the nickname:

I think Ludmilla is great for the game, and could be a real force, but she really needs to work harder.

Is this your personal invention or have you heard any journalist using this nickname?

Personal. LoL.
Sorry, she just looks like a 1700s milkmaid to me (and has the personality to boot). So I call her Ludmilla.

It's spreading like a virus :sobbing:

naranka
Apr 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM

It's spreading like a virus :sobbing:

I'm not trying to be an grumpy old ass, it's just that this nickname thing is so overdone and over the top on TF, and half the time I don't even know who people are talking about. Empress. Legend. Lady Aga, etc., etc. -- young gay fanboy stuff. Which I recognize for what it is because I was a young gay fanboy myself once. But still ... just fucking use their real names! :rolleyes:

Queen Petra Fan
Apr 16th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvarsha
I think Ludmilla is great for the game, and could be a real force, but she really needs to work harder. Quote:

Originally Posted by Petronius
Is this your personal invention or have you heard any journalist using this nickname?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvarsha
Personal. LoL.
Sorry, she just looks like a 1700s milkmaid to me (and has the personality to boot). So I call her Ludmilla.

Only a major retard would call Petra such a stupid name for such stupid reasons.

BTW retard, whoever you are, it's spelled LUDMILA not Ludmilla. Get a clue moron!!!

Probably an Aga Rad (who I think is awesome BTW) fan based on her name. Varsha is almost the same pronunciation in Czech as Varšava which is the Polish city of Warsaw. A coincidence? Hmmm.

TimeyWimey
Apr 16th, 2012, 07:09 PM
BTW retard, whoever you are, it's spelled LUDMILA not Ludmilla. Get a clue moron!!!

I think in French, maybe in other language as well, it becomes Ludmilla

Queen Petra Fan
Apr 16th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I think in French, maybe in other language as well, it becomes Ludmilla

Apparently, they also spell it that way (Ludmilla) in russia. No wonder MissVarsha knows so much about backwards village life. Hmmm....

One thing's for sure, it's not a Czech who made up such a stupid name for her. :cool:

pling
Apr 17th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Who needs ludmil(l)a when we have petule? :)

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/425395_10150763990754517_290431189516_12445906_490 709825_n.jpg

Mynarco
Apr 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Guys that nickname is just a joke :lol: chill out

Spring Pools
Apr 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I still prefer calling her Pedo Petra or just Cougar

naranka
Apr 17th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Guys that nickname is just a joke :lol: chill out

A joke is supposed to be funny to more than one person, otherwise it's just a random, private reference that isn't amusing to anyone else. Judging by the response here, "Ludmilla" is funny only to you, and just annoying to the rest of us.

Meelis
Apr 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM
Stuttgart

(1)Victoria Azarenka (BLR) v BYE
(wc)Kristina Barrois (GER) v Andrea Petkovic (GER)
Ana Ivanovic (SRB) v (wc)Mona Barthel (GER)
Q v (7)Marion Bartoli (FRA)

(4)Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) v BYE
Q v Q
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Dominika Cibulkova (SVK)
Lucie Safarova (CZE) v (8)Na Li (CHN)

(6)Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v Jelena Jankovic (SRB)
Angelique Kerber (GER) v Roberta Vinci (ITA)
Francesca Schiavone (ITA) v Monica Niculescu (ROU)
(3)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v BYE

(5)Samantha Stosur (AUS) v Shuai Peng (CHN)
Julia Goerges (GER) v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
Q v Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
(2)Maria Sharapova (RUS) v BYE

Mynarco
Apr 21st, 2012, 07:40 PM
that's a tricky...one.

Excelscior
Apr 21st, 2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, Petra looks to be in the tough half of the draw (Schiavone, Stosur, Sharapova, Georges, even Niculescu and Vinci, if I'm reading the quarters right)? And getting Schiavone for her first match is tough, coming off the fast hardcourt in C. Republic, right into Germany. Mmmhh.

Let's hope Petra can get her bearings in time in Stuttgart, and/or serve well to finish out the match with Schiavone?

As far as the others; if Petra is playing well, it shouldn't matter. But we'll see?

Should make for some exciting matches, we hope (crossed fingers)? Lol

HowardH
Apr 21st, 2012, 08:13 PM
Schiavone has no form though. I think the first match shouldn't be a problem, I would think she would make semis here at minimum.

Vikapower
Apr 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM
Petra's draw should theoretically bring her to a SF here, "theoretically".

naranka
Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:27 AM
Petra's half looks more dangerous on the surface, but a lot of the players in her half are not playing well. If she's even at 2/3 form she should make it to the SF. I think Kerber, who has won 2 tournaments this year, is the tricky one here.

PetraReeMona
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:14 AM
She's on now - an hour earlier than published :bounce:

TimeyWimey
Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:49 PM
she got the easiest quarter

Queen Petra Fan
Apr 24th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Woo hoo! Eurosport coverage starts today at 2pm!!!

Pojd Petra!!!

paulmara
Apr 24th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Schiavone beat Niculescsu 6:3 7:5 in 2 hours and 10 minutes

18majors
Apr 24th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Petra will play 4 matches in 4 days if she gets to the final.

bruce goose
Apr 25th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Despite Fran's below-par play this year,a win over her still lends more legitimacy than one vs. the Romanian gal...now let's see a repeat of FC,Petra:cool:!

paulmara
Apr 25th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Centre Court (from 12.00hrs)
1. Francesca Schiavone vs. Petra Kvitova

mdx
Apr 25th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Am I mistaken or does Eurosport cover everything tomorrow except the first match from noon?

Coconut91
Apr 25th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Her half is tough indeed, but her opponents have more reasons to be scared. :lol:

Excelscior
Apr 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Am I mistaken or does Eurosport cover everything tomorrow except the first match from noon?

Eurosport coverage usually starts from the 2nd/2pm (Stuttgart time) CC match.

I'm not sure what they're going to do tomorrow though.

Usually I watch the straight WTA feed, with no commentary during the 12pm ones. That's whats usually available online at that time for me.

Though it wasn't originally scheduled, they were actually supposed to cover the Jankovic vs Wozniaki match today, cause of the "juicy" match up. I didn't see it, so I don't know if they did?

Maybe they'll do the same for Schiavone-Kvitova? :confused: :devil: :confused:

PetraReeMona
Apr 25th, 2012, 10:08 PM

Correct :mad:

She's not on Eurosport :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Disgusting!

I hope there's a live stream.:unsure:

I suppose it's because she's not playing a German :rolleyes:

Excelscior
Apr 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Correct :mad:

She's not on Eurosport :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Disgusting!

I hope there's a live stream.:unsure:

I suppose it's because she's not playing a German :rolleyes:

As I said above, there's usually a straight WTA/Arena feed with no commentary for the 12pm matches.

So you/we should be OK. We'll see?

mdx
Apr 25th, 2012, 10:18 PM
As I said above, there's usually a straight WTA/Arena feed with no commentary for the 12pm matches.

So you/we should be OK. We'll see?

You mean video feed? That would do it, commentary is unnecessary. Where is this available from? Is it free or accessible for Europeans at least?

TimeyWimey
Apr 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM
no need to worry, the first match will surely be broadcasted

Excelscior
Apr 25th, 2012, 11:04 PM
You mean video feed? That would do it, commentary is unnecessary. Where is this available from? Is it free or accessible for Europeans at least?

Yeah, I was talking video feed.

You can go to
http://www.livescorehunter.com/.

Just go to tennis, Stuttgart, and look for the Kvitova vs Schiavone match, and you should be set. Once you get there, pick or try out the different feeds.

Just go at 12pm Germany time, since it's the first match. There may be other ways as well.

Hopefully, it will be broadcast by Eurosport, the way they planned to broadcast the Wozniaki/Jankovic match today (not sure if they did), though they weren't initially scheduled to do so.

PetraReeMona
Apr 25th, 2012, 11:14 PM

Usually from here (this is where I get my feed from). They haven't got the Stuttgart feed up yet, but if you keep refreshing tomorrow before the match, it should be there (hopefully :scared:)

http://www.lshunter.tv/tennis-live-streaming-video.html

PetraReeMona
Apr 25th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I was talking video feed.

You can go to
http://www.livescorehunter.com/.

Just go to tennis, Stuttgart, and look for the Kvitova vs Schiavone match, and you should be set. Once you get there, pick or try out the different feeds.

Just go at 12pm Germany time, since it's the first match. There may be other ways as well.

Hopefully, it will be broadcast by Eurosport, the way they planned to broadcast the Wozniaki/Jankovic match today (not sure if they did), though they weren't initially scheduled to do so.
I can guarantee you they won't do the earlier matches.

They did the Woz -v- Jankovic match because on Eurosport Player they were scheduled to finish at 10.00pm, which meant they were not going to show the match live, but they were recording it and would be showing it in the morning on Eurosport.

They are starting their broadcast at 1pm (UK time tomorrow) which means they will not be broadcasting Petra's match on TV. So there will be just a video feed.

Excelscior
Apr 25th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I can guarantee you they won't do the earlier matches.

They did the Woz -v- Jankovic match because on Eurosport Player they were scheduled to finish at 10.00pm, which meant they were not going to show the match live, but they were recording it and would be showing it in the morning on Eurosport.

They are starting their broadcast at 1pm (UK time tomorrow) which means they will not be broadcasting Petra's match on TV. So there will be just a video feed.

Oh. OK. Thanks.

I knew there was some funky stuff going on with the Wozniaki match, cause I didn't see it live. But I was hoping, maybe MDX could watch the replay on Eurosport later. But you're saying it's actually on Eurosport Player, so he might as well watch it live online as we suggested.

PetraReeMona
Apr 25th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Oh. OK. Thanks.

I knew there was some funky stuff going on with the Wozniaki match, cause I didn't see it live. But I was hoping, maybe MDX could watch the replay on Eurosport later. But you're saying it's actually on Eurosport Player, so he might as well watch it live online as we suggested.

NO the Petra match won't be on Eurosport Player because they don't start broadcasting on Eurosport or Eurosport Player until 1pm UK time and the Petra match starts at 11am UK time - so no Petra match on Eurosport or Eurosport Player.

The first match video feed that you see is coming from a company in Germany, not Eurosport.

Am I not explaining myself clearly :confused:

Edit: I've just checked Livescorehunter and it's scheduled to be shown on the live feed from GERMANY at 11am UK time - mid-day Germany time.

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:17 AM
NO the Petra match won't be on Eurosport Player because they don't start broadcasting on Eurosport or Eurosport Player until 1pm UK time and the Petra match starts at 11am UK time - so no Petra match on Eurosport or Eurosport Player.

The first match video feed that you see is coming from a company in Germany, not Eurosport.

Am I not explaining myself clearly :confused:

Edit: I've just checked Livescorehunter and it's scheduled to be shown on the live feed from GERMANY at 11am UK time - mid-day Germany time.

Somewhat.

I had already stated earlier, that the 12pm matches were the live WTA feeds, with no commentary. They do that all over the world, at most European events.

I was only trying to be optimistic for MDX by hoping Eurosport would cover the Petra match, as they planned to with Wozniaki (which you said was actually on Eurosport Player). No harm there. We knew they would at least have the Arena feed.

As far as the last thing I said, I was actually referring to Wozniaki, and though I didn't mention either one of them, I could see why it could come off as Petra. My bad.

No biggie.

TimeyWimey
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:45 AM
:lol: let the prime time begin

bruce goose
Apr 26th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Does anyone feel that fatigue from FC would be a valid excuse for a defeat?I ask this because another of this past weekend's participants used FC as a crutch to justify her straight-set loss.It's no surprise when you consider what a phony joke that player is,but I figured that it could conceivably be EMOTIONALLY draining for Petra so,in THAT sense,she might be less than her best....Anyhow,her opponent also had to play FC plus a match in the 1st Round so Petra shouldn't have any disadvantage there.VAMOS,Petra!!!:bounce:

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Cibulkova also played Fed Cup and lost to Akbul. Clay being Domi's favourite surface.

I think Petra and the Italian girls are the only one's who didn't play on clay this weekend :scared:

Petronius
Apr 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Does anyone feel that fatigue from FC would be a valid excuse for a defeat?I ask this because another of this past weekend's participants used FC as a crutch to justify her straight-set loss.It's no surprise when you consider what a phony joke that player is,but I figured that it could conceivably be EMOTIONALLY draining for Petra so,in THAT sense,she might be less than her best....Anyhow,her opponent also had to play FC plus a match in the 1st Round so Petra shouldn't have any disadvantage there.VAMOS,Petra!!!:bounce:

No excuses this time:

1) Her opponent also took part in Fed Cup on Sunday and still beat Niculescu
2) She has had more than three days to properly prepare for the match
3) Germany and CZ are neighbours so there's no jet lag, acclimatization issues, etc.

mdx
Apr 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys for the video feed links. I know these, they are usually my last resort. I was hoping maybe you know about some official/better quality feeds I am not yet aware of. I'd even have no trouble to pay for quality video feed. It's unfortunate that in this age of internet there is still video streaming service provided by WTA (or a partner).

Anyway, still some video better than no video. Cannot wait for Petra's match. I'm curious how the red clay in Porsche Arena is going to suit her. Guess the match will be really tough, Schiavone played very well against Petra in Ostrava last weekend and that was on hard court. On red clay I expect her to be even better.

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM
She's on :bounce: :bounce:

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/0/2/v-400220.html

Martina CZ
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
First set, Fran on serve - deuce, even Fran managed to get the game - nice :-)
I don't see any fatique from FedCup at all, I think Petra is hungry to play some nice tennis :drool:

Martina CZ
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:17 AM
BTW - what is the correct term for "clean game", that is game with zero point for opponent?

Banditoo
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hi! I'm new here! I like Kvitova :lol:

Mynarco
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
a lot of errors from Kvitova

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
My stream died.

Where are you watching it?

Banditoo
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:28 AM
My stream died.

Where are you watching it?

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/0/2/v-400275.html

Banditoo
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:30 AM
break :cheer:

Martina CZ
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Petra has break to 3:2 and going to serve :)

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM
http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/0/2/v-400275.html

Cheers

Banditoo
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Do you think that Petra's indoor matches win streak can stop here? :unsure:

Petronius
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Just tuned in. Petra looking very good!

Coconut91
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hohoho... KvittyGOAT...

Petronius
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
That dropshot volley :hearts:

FORZA SARITA
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM
BTW - what is the correct term for "clean game", that is game with zero point for opponent?

love game?:)

Kvitty looking good :drool:

mdx
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:37 AM

Love game I guess?

Petronius
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Poor Francesca... Indoor Kvitty GOAT will knock her off the court

Mynarco
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Nouni mark-checking count : 1

Banditoo
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I think that Petra's second greatest surface is clay :hearts:

Mynarco
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Petra 62. From 15-30 down.

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM
NO 2ND SET LAPSES PLEASE :scared:

pling
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM
my stream froze on break point and then again on set point :sobbing:

Petra's second service game was terrible, but most of the rest has been promising for first clay match. Good net points and serving.

Coconut91
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Wow :lol:

PetraReeMona
my stream froze on break point and then again on set point :sobbing:

Petra's second service game was terrible, but most of the rest has been promising for first clay match. Good net points and serving.

Same :mad:

Petronius
Stream lost :( Any link ?

Coconut91
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM
http://lsh.lshunter.tv/static/popups/92610379287690.html ???

PetraReeMona
Stream lost :( Any link ?

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/0/2/v-400220.html

Excelscior
Lost feed on Livescore hunter. I'm sure they'll get it back up (it's usually not long), but when?

The second set should of started already.

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
They're all not working. It must be the feed from the Arena.

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Ok. They're back

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
:lol: Some of those returns :drool:

So nonchalant :oh:

Coconut91
Break! Pojd Petra :D

pling
crazy return down the line :D

Petronius
Breaks to 3*-2. Franny is toast.

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Stream back up, and Petra just broke Schiavone (40-15) to go up 3-2 in the second set.

pling
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
on a side note, much prefer blue & white to that wierd peach outfit from USA

Petronius
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
http://lsh.lshunter.tv/static/popups/92610379287690.html ???

Thx

Coconut91
I love this girl. What a beast. :lol::lol:

M.P
finally can find aworking stream :help:

PetraReeMona
Was that 3 or 4 aces in a row :eek:

Petronius
Amazing serving.

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
:oh:

Coconut91
Brutal.

pling
and fran's serving is really off, which is helping.

Petronius
Petra is unplayable indoors.

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Petra is unplayable indoors.

Don't speak too soon ;)

naranka
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
At last! The return of GOATra!

paulmara
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Iīm suprised. It was very easy.

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
The Germans seem to love that performance.

Good Petra. No big proclamations/declarations here. Let's take it match by match. But good!

Now onward to Kerber or Wozniaki.

She's being interviewed now, but you can't see her.

Mynarco
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
A good one. Just under an hour.

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM
:oh:

pling
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:12 PM
can't hear a word of the interview :lol: sounds like railway announcments

franny was not good today. clearly not the player she was.

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
can't hear a word of the interview :lol: sounds like railway announcments

She had already blew her load in the Fed Cup match, as some of us expected.

You know she's only good for so many matches in a season.

And let's be honest, she served, way over her head when they played last week in Fed Cup, and that's why it all came back to haunt her in the tiebreak. Too much pressure to get them in, and get them in good against a locked in Petra! The surface didn't assist Frannie's serve and ground strokes today, like it did in Ostrava last week.

Yeah. I couldn't understand the interview either (before they cut to another match). Lol. But the good thing is, she didn't even sound excited/winded. You know, when Petra has that high voice right after a match, when speaking, cause her heart is still racing? Lol

That's Good! Cause she plays tomorrow.

bruce goose
Apr 26th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Just a reminder that we actually DO have a live scores thread(at least we did the last time I checked);)

Read earlier where one player claimed that Stuttgart felt like HC with a thin layer of clay on top...and played faster than normal clay.Perhaps that helps Petra somewhat but,anyway,nice victory for the Lioness:cool:

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Just a reminder that we actually DO have a live scores thread(at least we did the last time I checked);)

Read earlier where one player claimed that Stuttgart felt like HC with a thin layer of clay on top...and played faster than normal clay.Perhaps that helps Petra somewhat but,anyway,nice victory for the Lioness:cool:

It appears all the clay courts are faster now. Lol.

Some folks love to give Petra shit for winning Madrid in the thin air. But I had also read players say that Rome last year, was actually a very fast clay court; maybe the fastest.

But you never hear anyone question Sharapova's win there.

It's all good. Petra wins on both fast and slow courts.

It was only one match. But Onward.

Vikapower
Apr 26th, 2012, 02:50 PM

I've seen Schiavone for the first time since [...] and she's shockingly this bad indeed -- she still has the fight I think but all her shots/consistency are almost totally gone.

This match against Schiavone now, result was expected and Petra played well enough to destroy her in an hour -- anything different would have been surprising I guess in a non-Fed Cup context where Schiavone generally transcends herself.

Read earlier where one player claimed that Stuttgart felt like HC with a thin layer of clay on top...and played faster than normal clay.

Yes that's totally true, it's barely even possible to slide on the surface according to Sam Smith. I don't really know her credibility but it seems like Stuttgart is a disguised medium/medium fast paced HC something like a GDF Suez Bis.

Don't forget also the balls, they use hard Dunlop balls which accelerates the game too -- they're like ping-pong balls -- Sam Smith again. :lol:

TBH unless probably in Rome, I think the WTA barely has "true" clay courts, the real slow, heavy ones.

@Excelsior : She had already blew her load in the Fed Cup match

You know she's only good for so many matches in a season.

And let's be honest.

Yeah, on clay -- honestly, this expected result is hard to interpret. Fed Cup, Schiavone generally plays amazing --

pov
Apr 26th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Good to see her get the comeback win.

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Good to see her get the comeback win.

Not bad for a fatty with a big belly ;)

mac47
Apr 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
We might ask Francesca if she would trade her ripped abs for a few of Petra's weapons.

Petronius
Apr 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Not bad for a fatty with a big belly ;)

Absolutely. How on earth can she even move with that beer belly?:scratch: She must down at least three pints of Guinness on a daily basis. :eek:

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Absolutely. How on earth can she even move with that beer belly?:scratch: She must down at least three pints of Guiness on a daily basis. :eek:

At least, but I do hear it's Guinness is good for you; it has a lot of iron in it, so it's good for the blood, but alas, it gives you a big belly (as shown by Petra) ;)

Keep drinking that Guinness Queen Petra :bounce::bounce:

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM
We might ask Francesca if she would trade her ripped abs for a few of Petra's weapons.

Nah.... Pov wouldn't approve :(

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Petra is the 8pm (German time)/4th match tomorrow on Centre Court.

She will be playing the winner of Kerber/Wozniaki match of course.

First match of the Quarterfinals start at 2pm tomorrow, instead of 12pm.

Good Luck Petra.

pling
Apr 26th, 2012, 08:40 PM
so, indoor-goat title bout with Kerber...

petra will need to be on it. can't wait :D

Petronius
Apr 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
so, indoor-goat title bout with Kerber...

petra will need to be on it. can't wait :D

The win over Schiavone was the 30th consecutive victory indoors.

iPatty
Apr 26th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Big test against Kerber. She will really have to be patient and be willing to hit the extra ball because Kerber's defensive skills seem to be out of this world at the moment. But if there's anybody who can hit through her, it's Petra. She will need to have another good serving day and not let Kerber dominate the match emotionally.

I'll be taking an exam at that time unfortunately but hopefully I'll be able to catch from the second set onwards. Or if Petra won in close to an hour that would be fine with me too. :lol:

mac47
Apr 26th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I'm in a similar bind. My workday ends at 3:00. Might be able to catch some of it.

Mynarco
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM
last match on CC :eek: GL

18majors
Apr 26th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Can't wait to watch Petra plays Kerber, two of the most in-form players.

PetraReeMona
Apr 27th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I'm a bit worried.

Two of my favourite gals and one of them has to lose :sobbing: Petra is no. 1 fave and Angie comes 2nd, so would rather Petra win most definitely, but if Angie does, I'll be upset, but not as upset as I would be if it were any other ... especially Fakarenka :mad:

Petra.... please, please, please have a good day against Angie and win quickly :cool:

bruce goose
Apr 27th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Well,I don't have the same conflict that the other poster has b/c my other fave got creamed:o...but at least I've got Petra to cheer for so the outlook isn't totally bleak:)

Petronius
Apr 27th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I'm a bit worried.

Two of my favourite gals and one of them has to lose :sobbing: Petra is no. 1 fave and Angie comes 2nd, so would rather Petra win most definitely, but if Angie does, I'll be upset, but not as upset as I would be if it were any other ... especially Fakarenka :mad:

Petra.... please, please, please have a good day against Angie and win quickly :cool:

Judging from yesterday's on-court interview Kerber seems to be a nice girl.

Great new avatar BTW :yeah:

Coconut91
Apr 27th, 2012, 09:45 AM
This is the battle for the indoor goatness, no doubt. :worship: Very impressed with the way Kerber played... She hits hard and deep from the most ridiculous positions, defends extremely well, barely misses a ball. On the other hand, Petra is the master of first strike tennis, so if she has a good day Kerber will have it way more difficult to stay in the rallies than against Wozniacki.

I can see Petra winning even if KerberGOAT shows up, but she needs to serve very well, stay focused and cut down the UE as much as possible. A clinic performance ala Wickmayer-Wimbledon2011 wouldn't hurt. :lol: Pojd!

Martina CZ
Apr 27th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Kerber played great tennis yesterday; if not playing Petra today, I would cheer for her to get to the final.
As it is now, I only hope there is no way she can play like that 2 days in row, there was almost no mistake in the whole game against Caroline (ok, time to time, but very few).
If she plays the same way, Petra will have a hard time to stay patient and not to hit rushed points leading to UE (not talking here about well prepared shots into the open court after serve thought).
So Petra, fingers crossed, go for it!

PetraReeMona
Apr 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Great new avatar BTW :yeah:

Thanks - Beautiful isn't she? :hearts:

Even though she's fat and has a belly :p

Coconut91
Apr 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Also, I expect Petra to murder Kerber's second serve, which is pathetically slow. She must take advantage of that.

Vikapower
Apr 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Also, I expect Petra to murder Kerber's second serve, which is pathetically slow. She must take advantage of that.

:lol: I expect "peak Petra/indoor Peak Petra" to show up and cast this match into the history books without much of a sweat --

Match will be close only because of Kerber's remarkable anticipation/defensive skills --

Despite all the adorable Kerber hype I even entertained for fun, if ever people believe that Petra has the same weight/velocity of shots, has the same glaring difficulties in offense Wozniacki has or in hitting through people then they clearly don't know what she's about --

:lol: Let's not forget peak Petra is also one the girls who varies the most on the WTA tour slice, transition etc. -- some net plays for example after her big shots from the back would be awesome combos against players like Kerber.

Petra's shots at her best are difficult to handle and will disallow Kerber most of the Nadal-ing she was practicing yesterday mainly because Wozniacki EVEN as offensive as she was attempting to be just doesn't have the power in her shots -- doesn't have no clue of how to construct offensively.

:lol: Petra she can maul the ball only down the middle all day long and the opponent would still take 1 and 0. Wozniacki can't despite trying reason why Kerber enjoyed herself and additionally showed the Dane why she was triple much better at doing what Caroline just can't do in offense.

Petronius
Apr 27th, 2012, 02:43 PM
:lol: I expect "peak Petra/indoor Peak Petra" to show up and cast this match into the history books without much of a sweat --

Match will be close only because of Kerber's remarkable anticipation/defensive skills --

Despite all the adorable Kerber hype I even entertained for fun, if ever people believe that Petra has the same weight/velocity of shots, has the same glaring difficulties in offense Wozniacki has or in hitting through people then they clearly don't know what she's about --

:lol: Let's not forget peak Petra is also one the girls who varies the most on the WTA tour slice, transition etc. -- some net plays for example after her big shots from the back would be awesome combos against players like Kerber.

Petra's shots at her best are difficult to handle and will disallow Kerber most of the Nadal-ing she was practicing yesterday mainly because Wozniacki EVEN as offensive as she was attempting to be just doesn't have the power in her shots -- doesn't have no clue of how to construct offensively.

:lol: Petra she can maul the ball only down the middle all day long and the opponent would still take 1 and 0. Wozniacki can't despite trying reason why Kerber enjoyed herself and additionally showed the Dane why she was triple much better at doing what Caroline just can't do in offense.

Well said. I was once again in awe at those groundstroke bombs Petra was relentlessly sending during Fed Cup at an in-form Errani, who had just won a tournament in Barcelona. As Errani admitted before the match "If Petra plays well, there's nothing I can do."

I also agree with Coconut about Kerber's serve, which is rather mediocre. I expect Petra to have lots of breakpoints and hopefully she'll convert them.

PetraReeMona
Apr 27th, 2012, 08:51 PM
:help: It's 21:50pm in Germany and Petra and Angelique are still not on court. There might even be a 3rd set in the Sharapova -v- Stosur match :eek:

They could be playing after midnight and have to come out tomorrow and play the SF. :rolleyes:

Mind you, it's been an excellent day of tennis I must admit. The only thing that ruined it is Fakerenka winning :mad:

pling
Apr 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM
3rd set :(

18majors
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Congratulations Petra, that's brilliant!

Losing Streak
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Fierce KvittyGOAT. :inlove: :drool: :hearts:

plokploky
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I was :drool: for most of that match.

Meelis
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:19 PM
http://www.upload.ee/image/2299199/ScreenHunter_01_Apr._28_01.15.jpg

Vikapower
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Well said. I was once again in awe at those groundstroke bombs Petra was relentlessly sending during Fed Cup at an in-form Errani, who had just won a tournament in Barcelona. As Errani admitted before the match "If Petra plays well, there's nothing I can do."

I also agree with Coconut about Kerber's serve, which is rather mediocre. I expect Petra to have lots of breakpoints and hopefully she'll convert them.

:lol: There you go --

Wasn't exactly "peak" Petra but I can't even believe people thought playing Wozniacki and Petra is the same ball-game. :lol: The hype yesterday was pretty insane and this result should calm down some fans already. :lol:

Glad to see Petra is back in the Elite in terms of play, level of player, that's where she deserves to be.

She's slowly finding her form again and should battle it out with the other 3. :yeah: That's exactly how I wanted the tournament. Numero uno, dos, tres y quatro. :devil:

plokploky
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Woah. Before you go off about how crap kerber is, she played really well, playing some insane shots that were like the bombs kvitty can produce. Her forehand was stunning in some places and she was hiting with some incredible depth. But as we all know kvitty is the best indoors player ever :oh: so I think kerber played better tennis than what vikapower makes it sound like.

vendulkabendulka
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:25 PM
65mins, very solid stats. I was expecting some tought battle. Cool win.

Losing Streak
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Woah. Before you go off about how crap kerber is, she played really well, playing some insane shots that were like the bombs kvitty can produce. Her forehand was stunning in some places and she was hiting with some incredible depth. But as we all know kvitty is the best indoors player ever :oh: so I think kerber played better tennis than what vikapower makes it sound like.

Yes. :shrug: Petra just won the important points when Angie got tight. Pretty sure the total points won difference is very low.

Mynarco
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:27 PM
GL against masha tomorrow. After that dreadful SF that must not be named, good luck against her tomorrow....

Meelis
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Pretty sure the total points won difference is very low.

Petra - 56
Angie - 50

Vikapower
Apr 28th, 2012, 12:46 AM

I didn't say Kerber is crap etc., she's very good but please --

Kerber went through all sorts of statuses in the blink of 50 something minutes yesterday and it was pretty annoying -- :lol:

Actually she was even going to win RG, unbeatable at her very best etc. etc. -- some few people were trolling with that but the majority were really dead serious when it is pretty obvious that a good playing Petra with her shots would defeat any version of Kerber especially "indoors".

cosmoose
Apr 28th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I want Petra to murder Sharapova!!!

REVENGE!!!

Excelscior
Apr 28th, 2012, 01:57 AM
A Summary of the match and Kerber's comments on why she lost

In the second semifinal on Saturday she will meet Petra Kvitova. The Czech powered her way past Angelique Kerber from the Porsche Team Germany in only 65 minutes 6-4, 6-4. Compared to the day‘s other encounters, it felt like a lightning win. The Wimbledon champion needed a break per set to take the match in front of a still well-filled hall just before midnight. “I had a few chances in the first set but I couldn’t use them,” said Kerber who continued, “She served better than I did and it made all the difference.”

TimeyWimey
Apr 28th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I want Petra to murder Sharapova!!!

REVENGE!!!

Yeh, I would be bitterly disappointed if she loses to Maria again

SHE MUST WIN TOMORROW!!! :fiery::fiery::fiery:

TimeyWimey
Apr 28th, 2012, 02:02 AM
A Summary of the match and Kerber's comments on why she lost

very true for the 2nd set

TimeyWimey
Apr 28th, 2012, 02:04 AM
65mins, very solid stats. I was expecting some tought battle. Cool win.

it is a tough battle indeed i would say, also a very enjoyable match :)

Coconut91
Apr 28th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Petra just did what she had to do to win this match rather comfortably :lol: Kerber's desperate looks to her box really said it all. :lol:

As Errani admitted before the match "If Petra plays well, there's nothing I can do."

I must say, I loooove how the girls are aware of Petra's awesomeness. :lol: Through interviews, you notice that coaches and players have a very high opinion of her... Sometimes it's like they resign themselves to her superiority. :lol: That kind of respect, mixed with fear, is :drool:

mac47
Apr 28th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Thing is, I don't think Pova fears her. She thinks she can go toe to toe.

I KNOW that full-flight Petra can make peak Maria look helpless. I hope it happens tomorrow.

Struggling, lazy-footwork Petra can make Maria look brilliant. I pray that doesn't happen tomorrow.

I want to see GOAT serving like today, but better.

I do not like the fact that Maria appears to have greatly improved her second serve and transition game.

cosmoose
Apr 28th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Thing is, I don't think Pova fears her. She thinks she can go toe to toe.
She needs a fresh reminder of KvittyGOAT! :devil:

I KNOW that full-flight Petra can make peak Maria look helpless. I hope it happens tomorrow.

Struggling, lazy-footwork Petra can make Maria look brilliant. I pray that doesn't happen tomorrow.

I want to see GOAT serving like today, but better.
lazy-footwork Petra Not allowed!!!

I do not like the fact that Maria appears to have greatly improved her second serve and transition game.
Let's see how Pova's second serve holds up to Petra's Howitzer artillery returns! :devil:

bruce goose
Apr 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Would like to say that Petra got revenge for her Danish friend who was soundly beaten the previous day....but I'm not sure that anyone would believe that...nor am I sure that AYE really believe that:lol:.Anyway,Petra was the only one of the Top 4 who had a decisive victory,and I'm hoping that represents something

....Btw,it's "cuatro",Vikapower,not 'quatro';)

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 28th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Kill Masha please Petra!!!

Losing Streak
Apr 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Pojd pojd pojd! :cheer: :cheer: :hearts:

Petronius
Apr 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Petra should be up at 6.30 pm CET.

BTW, of the 12 singles and doubles semifinalists, four are from CZ. Some Czech billionaire should buy the tourney and move it to Prague ;)

TimeyWimey
Apr 28th, 2012, 09:09 PM
3 SF defeat in a row now, she only lost 2 in 2011

Mynarco
Apr 28th, 2012, 09:09 PM
:(

paulmara
Apr 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Kvitova:ďIím a little bit disappointed after this match, but I did make the sf of my 1st clay court event of the season, so maybe in 2 days I will be happy for this. #wta Stuttgart

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h6lrjr

bruce goose
Apr 28th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Apparently,Petra's service return was pretty poor today,and she'll have to raise her level there quite a bit if she wants to be a consistently dominant player

Excelscior
Apr 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
To All Petra Fans

We can relax now, and actually look at the Sharapova semifinal outcome differently.

Petra battled Maria tooth and nail in such a tension filled match, and got so many break points against the eventual Champion, who kicked Azarenka's ass! Maria served out of her mind in this tournament, and Petra more than held her own on return (albeit with Petra mistakes/missed opportunities, or was it just Maria with great serving)? That's a separate argument though.

Maria upped the ante in this tournament. And Petra can actually hold her head up, make her necessary adjustments and win some damn titles this season. She did good. Nothing to feel bad about or dwell on now.

Both she and Stosur did good (despite Petra's blown/lost mistakes and opportunities), and can look forward to the next clay tournament. Hats off to Maria.

Let's be honest Petra fans, the loss would of hurt more if Maria would of got mauled by Vika all over again. Maria's win just reinforces our notion that Vika is underpowered, and can lose to a versatile or inform power player, due to her lack of artillery.

Petra should be looking forward to defending Madrid now. Stuttgart was excellent practice and preparation.

18majors
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:42 AM
To All Petra Fans

We can relax now, and actually look at the Sharapova semifinal outcome differently.

Petra battled Maria tooth and nail in such a tension filled match, and got so many break points against the eventual Champion, who kicked Azarenka's ass! Maria served out of her mind in this tournament, and Petra more than held her own on return (albeit with Petra mistakes/missed opportunities, or was it just Maria with great serving)? That's a separate argument though.

Maria upped the ante in this tournament. And Petra can actually hold her head up, make her necessary adjustments and win some damn titles this season. She did good. Nothing to feel bad about or dwell on now.

Both she and Stosur did good (despite Petra's blown/lost mistakes and opportunities), and can look forward to the next clay tournament. Hats off to Maria.

Let's be honest Petra fans, the loss would of hurt more if Maria would of got mauled by Vika all over again. Maria's win just reinforces our notion that Vika is underpowered, and can lose to a versatile or inform power player, due to her lack of artillery.

Petra should be looking forward to defending Madrid now. Stuttgart was excellent practice and preparation.

As a Maria fan, the Petra match certainly was a lot more tension filled than Stosur and Azarenka matches. I held my breadth until the last point was played.

I remember one service game, Petra hit 2 aces and 2 un-returnable serves, there was nothing Maria could do. This is something Petra is capable of doing.

My only regret is that Petra and Maria aren't 1&2 in ranking and they meet each other before the final.

mac47
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I think we are in for a couple good months from Petra now. Just in time for the Channel majors.

Let's face it, there is nothing in it between her and Pova right now. Masha has been playing out of her gourd, and still barely escapes. Petra was not playing in her GOAT mode, and was still obviously the second-best player at Stuttgart. Just a few different decisions, and she'll be winning titles again.

Mynarco
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:58 AM
losing to the eventual winner. Not a bad thing probably, but she should have pushed it to three sets

mac47
Apr 30th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Call me a wishful thinker, but her game is still so raw, and her mental mistakes so frequent, that I feel like she will eventually reach another level entirely, and since her present level is just as good as Sharapova's best, I expect good things.

TennisAddict84
Apr 30th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Yea that's the exciting thing about Kvitova is that she's already such a good player, but she can become a dominant one once she fully develops her game and maximizes her potential.

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:27 AM
As a Maria fan, the Petra match certainly was a lot more tension filled than Stosur and Azarenka matches. I held my breadth until the last point was played.

I remember one service game, Petra hit 2 aces and 2 un-returnable serves, there was nothing Maria could do. This is something Petra is capable of doing.

My only regret is that Petra and Maria aren't 1&2 in ranking and they meet each other before the final.

It's funny you say that, I think they're the two best players on the tour now (at least from this tournament and for the clay season). Maybe you throw Stosur in there to, since we're in the clay season, along with Serena as honorable mention from her performance in Charleston?

The mainstream media won't acknowledge any of this of course. They haven't figured out yet that Vika and Flufwanska are pretenders (or they won't admit it publically, if they do know), especially on clay. Lol.

I mean, Kerber, Stosur, Maria of course, and Petra would of all beat Vika in this tournament. Talk about a stacked side of the draw. Vika's side of the draw now (except when she faces Barthel or Bartoli) is a cake walk. Radwanka can't beat anyone in the top 3 unless they're having an awful day. But that's who Vika will face in most semifinals (if she can get by Barthel or Bartoli first).

Petra's gotta be that much better to get to the PID in the finals. I think she should relish & embrace the challenge.

mac47
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease? What's PID in your last paragraph?

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease? What's PID in your last paragraph?

Ah.

I see you know about PID. You know about UTI's as well? :lol: :lol:

Actually, I learned that from here, on TF.

PID, is a term for Azarenka. It means Pusher In Disguise.

I have a feeling, you'd agree with that? :devil:

TennisAddict84
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:40 AM
The Kvitova/Sharapova match up is definitely the most compelling one currently. Even though Sharapova has beaten her these last two times, you can tell the amount of work Sharapova has to put in (physical and mental) to overcome Kvitova. It's gonna be exciting what transpires for the rest of the clay court season - whether Sharapova can keep up her current form, whether Kvitova and Azarenka will make adjustments to their clay court game, and if Serena will bring her form from Charleston.

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:43 AM
The Kvitova/Sharapova match up is definitely the most compelling one currently. Even though Sharapova has beaten her these last two times, you can tell the amount of work Sharapova has to put in (physical and mental) to overcome Kvitova. It's gonna be exciting what transpires for the rest of the clay court season - whether Sharapova can keep up her current form, whether Kvitova and Azarenka will make adjustments to their clay court game, and if Serena will bring her form from Charleston.

Good Post. Well stated.

bruce goose
Apr 30th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Was gonna state some of the things that were posted on the previous page,but I went to my gf's house shortly after the final ended so I couldn't post 'til I got home and you all beat me to it:lol:.There's no question that Petra gave the SI girl a much greater challenge than our current #1 did,but I still feel that Petra:angel: could stand to really improve her ROS

TennisAddict84
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Was gonna state some of the things that were posted on the previous page,but I went to my gf's house shortly after the final ended so I couldn't post 'til I got home and you all beat me to it:lol:.There's no question that Petra gave the SI girl a much greater challenge than our current #1 did,but I still feel that Petra:angel: could stand to really improve her ROS

Yeah I really hope she makes the adjustment on her ROS moving forward against players like Sharapova who are having a great serving day. In their semi match, there were so many times that Kvitova got a good look at Sharapova's first serve, but instead of just hitting the return deep down the middle and getting the return in play, Petra tried to go for the winner and hit it long. I also feel that Petra should have stayed further back for Sharapova's second serve instead of standing on the baseline to give herself more room. Sharapova was for most of the match just hitting her second serve so deep that Kvitova had a hard time handling it. Meanwhile, Sharapova has made her ROS adjustment to Petra's first serve. Notice how far back Sharapova was standing to return.

mac47
Apr 30th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Yep. Nothing about Vika's game impresses me. She's another boring counterpuncher with just a little more power and maybe even less creativity. Radwanska is far more entertaining.

PetraReeMona
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Ah.

PID, is a term for Azarenka. It means Pusher In Disguise.

I have a feeling, you'd agree with that? :devil:

I do :wavey:

She's also a DID :devil:

PetraReeMona
Apr 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Yep. Nothing about Vika's game impresses me. She's another boring counterpuncher with just a little more power and maybe even less creativity. Radwanska is far more entertaining.

.... and more naturally talented :worship:

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I do :wavey:

She's also a DID :devil:

OK. I'll bite. :)

What's a DID? :lol:

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah I really hope she makes the adjustment on her ROS moving forward against players like Sharapova who are having a great serving day. In their semi match, there were so many times that Kvitova got a good look at Sharapova's first serve, but instead of just hitting the return deep down the middle and getting the return in play, Petra tried to go for the winner and hit it long. I also feel that Petra should have stayed further back for Sharapova's second serve instead of standing on the baseline to give herself more room. Sharapova was for most of the match just hitting her second serve so deep that Kvitova had a hard time handling it. Meanwhile, Sharapova has made her ROS adjustment to Petra's first serve. Notice how far back Sharapova was standing to return.

That's called Serena Williams disease (refusing to step back on ROS regardless of the outcome). :lol: :lol:

Plus Petra feels her great lefty hands and wrist, can return and control anything most times. :lol: :lol:

Excellent overall post though; not just the highlighted portion.

In addition, even if Petra did stand inside the baseline on Sharpies 2nd serve and receives a deep/difficult one, she should of tried to guide or loop it into a corner or the opposite sideline, instead of going for the outright winner so many times. Obviously, when she gets a hold of one she doesn't always have to go for the outright winner, and could of tried to hit it hard up the middle (but with some margin) as you mentioned--more times as well. She's gotta mix it up and/or adjust more often and faster.

Yeah. I did notice that Maria made her adjustments on Petra's serve. The irony is, Petra lost her service 2X for the mistakes she made during rallys, not her actual service games. I remember several excellent serves she made (probably on BP's or service games Petra lost as well), where Maria just got the ball back in play, and eventually won the point off a Petra error.

All in all, I think everything we're discussing, if Petra and her team are (discussing it to), this will only make her better in the short, intermediate and/or long term; starting now instead of later on. I hope they are?

If she would of won three tournaments this year, maybe these things aren't thought about or addressed now?

Hopefully, Maria winning the tournament will give Petra incentive to keep fighting, cause she's not that far away from another/more titles.

Just keep the faith and the confidence Petra!

pling
Apr 30th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Agree with these comments - I'm happy to wait for Petra to find her feet as a top player, which will take a bit of time. I still think a potentially good Indian Wells was scuppered by the impending illness, as she was great in the first set and then just fell away hugely - and I've not seen her using the inhaler at any other time.

Does anyone know if the Madrid draw will be based on revised rankings after last year's points drop off? - with Petra at 4 it might mean she is in Vika's half, with Aga in Maria's half. Which would suit me fine ;)

Petronius
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:06 PM
The Kvitova/Sharapova match up is definitely the most compelling one currently. Even though Sharapova has beaten her these last two times, you can tell the amount of work Sharapova has to put in (physical and mental) to overcome Kvitova.

First, welcome to the subforum.

Second, I agree. I wouldn't mind if they played more often. Tight battles with some nice power hitting and great fighting spirit. Big Babe Tennis.

bruce goose
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah I really hope she makes the adjustment on her ROS moving forward against players like Sharapova who are having a great serving day. In their semi match, there were so many times that Kvitova got a good look at Sharapova's first serve, but instead of just hitting the return deep down the middle and getting the return in play, Petra tried to go for the winner and hit it long. I also feel that Petra should have stayed further back for Sharapova's second serve instead of standing on the baseline to give herself more room. Sharapova was for most of the match just hitting her second serve so deep that Kvitova had a hard time handling it. Meanwhile, Sharapova has made her ROS adjustment to Petra's first serve. Notice how far back Sharapova was standing to return.To echo the earlier post,welcome to the forum.

Petra has admitted that she didn't like long rallies when she first learned to play tennis,and I suspect that part of her still often feels that way

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Agree with these comments - I'm happy to wait for Petra to find her feet as a top player, which will take a bit of time. I still think a potentially good Indian Wells was scuppered by the impending illness, as she was great in the first set and then just fell away hugely - and I've not seen her using the inhaler at any other time.

Does anyone know if the Madrid draw will be based on revised rankings after last year's points drop off? - with Petra at 4 it might mean she is in Vika's half, with Aga in Maria's half. Which would suit me fine ;)

Yes. I agree with this. I thought she looked great at Indian Wells, with some of the best first set/first match tennis I've seen her play this year. Yeah, it was a shame indeed, cause she looked real good.

As far as the draw in Madrid, I don't know; but (yes) 4th seed would be interesting. :lol: :devil: :lol:

Na Mug has her listed as the 3rd seed in the Madrid GM thread. And to be honest, as long as I been following those here on TF, the rankings/seedings usually don't change before the tournament. So Petra is probably still the #3 seed there, and will be awarded her respective points when she finishes the tournament.

So if it was going to happen (and we don't want it to, cause we want Petra to repeat as champion) it would probably happen in Rome?

PetraReeMona
Apr 30th, 2012, 05:30 PM
OK. I'll bite. :)

What's a DID? :lol:

Devil in disguise :lol:

Mind you, she doesn't disguise it does she? :haha:

TennisAddict84
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
That's called Serena Williams disease (refusing to step back on ROS regardless of the outcome). :lol: :lol:

Plus Petra feels her great lefty hands and wrist, can return and control anything most times. :lol: :lol:

Excellent overall post though; not just the highlighted portion.

In addition, even if Petra did stand inside the baseline on Sharpies 2nd serve and receives a deep/difficult one, she should of tried to guide or loop it into a corner or the opposite sideline, instead of going for the outright winner so many times. Obviously, when she gets a hold of one she doesn't always have to go for the outright winner, and could of tried to hit it hard up the middle (but with some margin) as you mentioned--more times as well. She's gotta mix it up and/or adjust more often and faster.

Yeah. I did notice that Maria made her adjustments on Petra's serve. The irony is, Petra lost her service 2X for the mistakes she made during rallys, not her actual service games. I remember several excellent serves she made (probably on BP's or service games Petra lost as well), where Maria just got the ball back in play, and eventually won the point off a Petra error.

All in all, I think everything we're discussing, if Petra and her team are (discussing it to), this will only make her better in the short, intermediate and/or long term; starting now instead of later on. I hope they are?

If she would of won three tournaments this year, maybe these things aren't thought about or addressed now?

Hopefully, Maria winning the tournament will give Petra incentive to keep fighting, cause she's not that far away from another/more titles.

Just keep the faith and the confidence Petra!

All good points Excelscior. Yeah, hopefully Petra and her team will be studying the tapes of her recent matches. Ultimately, Maria raising her level now should serve as motivation for Petra to make changes/improvements and raise her game even further. Definitely looking forward to seeing how things play out in Madrid!

First, welcome to the subforum.

Second, I agree. I wouldn't mind if they played more often. Tight battles with some nice power hitting and great fighting spirit. Big Babe Tennis.

Thanks Petronius.

Yeah, I just feel that the other current match ups right now just lack the tension and competitiveness.

To echo the earlier post,welcome to the forum.

Petra has admitted that she didn't like long rallies when she first learned to play tennis,and I suspect that part of her still often feels that way

Thanks bruce goose.

Very true. Petra just needs to learn to be more patient and construct points more because she has the variety to stay in rallies. And contrary to what the media says, I feel that her movement is underrated.

TennisAddict84
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Yes. I agree with this. I thought she looked great at Indian Wells, with some of the best first set/first match tennis I've seen her play this year. Yeah, it was a shame indeed, cause she looked real good.

As far as the draw in Madrid, I don't know; but (yes) 4th seed would be interesting. :lol: :devil: :lol:

Na Mug has her listed as the 3rd seed in the Madrid GM thread. And to be honest, as long as I been following those here on TF, the rankings/seedings usually don't change before the tournament. So Petra is probably still the #3 seed there, and will be awarded her respective points when she finishes the tournament.

So if it was going to happen (and we don't want it to, cause we want Petra to repeat as champion) it would probably happen in Rome?

Yeah, she was hitting the ball soo well in that first set. I forgot the exact numbers, but she barely made any UE. She would've definitely made at least the semis if she sustained her level of play from that first set and hadn't gotten sick.

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM
All good points Excelscior. Yeah, hopefully Petra and her team will be studying the tapes of her recent matches. Ultimately, Maria raising her level now should serve as motivation for Petra to make changes/improvements and raise her game even further. Definitely looking forward to seeing how things play out in Madrid!

Thanks Petronius.

Yeah, I just feel that the other current match ups right now just lack the tension and competitiveness.

Thanks bruce goose.

Very true. Petra just needs to learn to be more patient and construct points more because she has the variety to stay in rallies. And contrary to what the media says, I feel that her movement is underrated.

My belated welcome Tennisaddict84.

And yes, Petra's movement and footwork, is VERY underrated.

I actually think her movement is quite graceful (especially around, over, moving toward and near the net). Some of the Maria stans (and other casual observers) don't know this, cause they see her play mainly power tennis against Maria. Though I would like to commend Petra on attempting to mix it up a little more in their Stuttgart match, compared to their Melbourne/AO match. That was better, though she needs to do more (and adjust on the ROS, as mentioned).

And Anyone that would of seen her sprint from behind the baseline to short hop that that drop shot for a floater/winner over the net-in the left corner in the Schiavone match at Fed Cup (and others), could never knock her movement, especially for her size. Her legs were really motoring man, and they're long, not shorties!

And she's very flexible to boot (up, down low, and side to side). Even deaf, dumb and blind Christ Evert of ESPN noticed that at the Australian.

I actually do think and notice that Petra's been more patient the past year.

It's just that dealing with an inform, Big serving Maria, is a different animal than the Azarenka's, Zvonareva's, Radwanska's, Wozniaki's, and even Kerber's that she's learned to recently deal with. She would of lost all of those matches 2yrs ago.

So she IS learning to be more patient. It's just a continual process. Maria creates a different sort of tension for Petra, than those others do. So now, back to the lab for her latest adjustment. Lol

18majors
Apr 30th, 2012, 08:11 PM
If Petra, Serena and Maria stay healthy, I'd be very surprised if any other players wins any of the next three grand slam titles.

TennisAddict84
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM
My belated welcome Tennisaddict84.

And yes, Petra's movement and footwork, is VERY underrated.

I actually think her movement is quite graceful (especially around, over, moving toward and near the net). Some of the Maria stans (and other casual observers) don't know this, cause they see her play mainly power tennis against Maria. Though I would like to commend Petra on attempting to mix it up a little more in their Stuttgart match, compared to their Melbourne/AO match. That was better, though she needs to do more (and adjust on the ROS, as mentioned).

And Anyone that would of seen her sprint from behind the baseline to short hop that that drop shot for a floater/winner over the net-in the left corner in the Schiavone match at Fed Cup (and others), could never knock her movement, especially for her size. Her legs were really motoring man, and they're long, not shorties!

And she's very flexible to boot (up, down low, and side to side). Even deaf, dumb and blind Christ Evert of ESPN noticed that at the Australian.

I actually do think and notice that Petra's been more patient the past year.

It's just that dealing with an inform, Big serving Maria, is a different animal than the Azarenka's, Zvonareva's, Radwanska's, Wozniaki's, and even Kerber's that she's learned to recently deal with. She would of lost all of those matches 2yrs ago.

So she IS learning to be more patient. It's just a continual process. Maria creates a different sort of tension for Petra, than those others do. So now, back to the lab for her latest adjustment. Lol

Thanks Excelscior!

That's why it's such an inaccurate description when people just describe Kvitova as another Davenport (and I happen to be an old Davenport fan). Petra is a much more graceful mover with more variety, better touch/feel, and more power.

Yeah, I think with grinders and counter punchers like Wozniacki, Kerber, etc, Petra knows that the match is completely in her hands. So if she is misfiring, she has learned at this point just to reign it in or just play at a level where she can win the match. Like in her match against Kerber, I personally didn't think Petra played that well, BUT it was good enough to beat Kerber since Kerber can't really hurt her with anything. So you're right, an in form Sharapova is a different beast altogether for Petra to learn to deal with effectively.

Oh, I've noticed from Petra's matches that the two shots she has trouble executing time and time again are the slice and lob. Why is that? Is it due to poor footwork or does she just need to practice those shots more?

PetraReeMona
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks Excelscior!

That's why it's such an inaccurate description when people just describe Kvitova as another Davenport (and I happen to be an old Davenport fan). Petra is a much more graceful mover with more variety, better touch/feel, and more power.

Yeah, I think with grinders and counter punchers like Wozniacki, Kerber, etc, Petra knows that the match is completely in her hands. So if she is misfiring, she has learned at this point just to reign it in or just play at a level where she can win the match. Like in her match against Kerber, I personally didn't think Petra played that well, BUT it was good enough to beat Kerber since Kerber can't really hurt her with anything. So you're right, an in form Sharapova is a different beast altogether for Petra to learn to deal with effectively.

Oh, I've noticed from Petra's matches that the two shots she has trouble executing time and time again are the slice and lob. Why is that? Is it due to poor footwork or does she just need to practice those shots more?

Welcome TennisAddict84

To maybe give my opinion of the bold in your question, I've noticed that when her timing is on she does slice quite well. I've only noticed her lob a few times.

Could it be timing is why she doesn't do it as much :shrug: Her volleys are amazing though - she really does have finesse.

TennisAddict84
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Welcome TennisAddict84

To maybe give my opinion of the bold in your question, I've noticed that when her timing is on she does slice quite well. I've only noticed her lob a few times.

Could it be timing is why she doesn't do it as much :shrug: Her volleys are amazing though - she really does have finesse.

Thanks PetraNo.1!

I was speculating myself that it might be due to timing also. I suspect that she'll execute her slices more on the grass because she really does possess a great, low, offensive slice in her arsenal.

Love her drop volleys! Very Navratilova like :)

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks Excelscior!

I think it's the foot work, and/or the timing (for what ever reason).

If you remember, last year at the YEC, she was executing her slices with out error. As a matter of fact, I usually see her execute her slices with out errors. So it's good you asked the question. Lol.

I remember in Wimbledon, she hit some wicked sideline slices for winners against Pironkava, Azarenka and Sharapova that just had announcers dazzled. She also hit a reverse spin forehand drop shot over/in front of the net vs Stosur at the YEC.

I think her slices have been misfiring against Sharapova and Kerber recently, cause they made her uncomfortable. Masha, making Petra playing power baseline tennis. And Kerber's speed and defense to offense, initially took Petra out of her comfort zone, and by surprise.

But I have a feeling she'll do better with that at Madrid.

We'll see?

Excelscior
Apr 30th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks Excelscior!

Many times a lot of people lazily compare her to Davenport, cause they both hit the ball great, their 6ft, and languid in demeanor and appearance (with Davenport, more so).

But a lot of people know as well, that she's faster, hits harder (though some older reactionary fans may not agree with that), has more touch and is more graceful.

JC Tennis, here at Tennis forum, described Petra as a "faster Davenport". Now ESPN, and American TV won't talk about her speed, because they speak in generalities, and someone like Petra would have to have Zvonareva like speed, for it to be listed as a positive for her.

Certainly most of the European announcers know or recognize she moves well. I've heard them remark that many times during her matches. I watched Davenport to. And I always thought she moved and looked (in demeanor) like a Sloth.

I also think what happens (which happens to everybody), is when you lose matches, most of the time you don't move/anticipate as well. So critics naturally credit loses to Petra's "lack of movement if she's not hitting the ball cleanly and just laying a racket, if/when she loses to a Li Na, for example.

Well, everybody "moves poorly" when they lose. It's usually a timing, footwork issue, unless they get hit off the court, and the opposition has 30 winners and 10-15 UE's to your 10-30. Lol

Petra says she moves slow sometimes, when she's suffering her asthma on court, and/or taking the inhaler as well. So we have to keep that in perspective at times.

The Irony is, when I used to have what I deemed "The Petra Wars" when I first joined TF. I remember always saying, "I never saw Petra lose a match (last year), due to lack of quickness and/or fitness". I would add "her quickness is fine".

But many naturally assume, because of her size, and how often she spends time in the middle of the court banging winners away, that she's slow or mal conditioned. It's just not true of course.

As far as the "Inform Maria" and Petra? True. It's a different animal. But it's a psychologically one.

Petra has to realize if underpowered Vika can slaughter Masha on several occasions, while Sharapova can have these long, dragged out awful matches sometimes with a host of top 40 type players, then Petra herself can move Masha around, hit the ROS up the middle more, and/or hit a few defensive and strategic shots against Masha when they play.

mac47
May 1st, 2012, 02:03 AM
It is not easy to move Sharapova around if she gets the first hard shot.

The break point statistics make me furious. If Petra won the same % of BPs as she did of total points in the match, she would maul Masha badly.

God, I want to see that bitch lose to Petra again. If Petra ever gets her Wimbledon or YEC form back, it will be a total massacre.

TennisAddict84
May 1st, 2012, 03:10 AM
Many times a lot of people lazily compare her to Davenport, cause they both hit the ball great, their 6ft, and languid in demeanor and appearance (with Davenport, more so).

But a lot of people know as well, that she's faster, hits harder (though some older reactionary fans may not agree with that), has more touch and is more graceful.

JC Tennis, here at Tennis forum, described Petra as a "faster Davenport". Now ESPN, and American TV won't talk about her speed, because they speak in generalities, and someone like Petra would have to have Zvonareva like speed, for it to be listed as a positive for her.

Certainly most of the European announcers know or recognize she moves well. I've heard them remark that many times during her matches. I watched Davenport to. And I always thought she moved and looked (in demeanor) like a Sloth.

I also think what happens (which happens to everybody), is when you lose matches, most of the time you don't move/anticipate as well. So critics naturally credit loses to Petra's "lack of movement if she's not hitting the ball cleanly and just laying a racket, if/when she loses to a Li Na, for example.

Well, everybody "moves poorly" when they lose. It's usually a timing, footwork issue, unless they get hit off the court, and the opposition has 30 winners and 10-15 UE's to your 10-30. Lol

Petra says she moves slow sometimes, when she's suffering her asthma on court, and/or taking the inhaler as well. So we have to keep that in perspective at times.

The Irony is, when I used to have what I deemed "The Petra Wars" when I first joined TF. I remember always saying, "I never saw Petra lose a match (last year), due to lack of quickness and/or fitness". I would add "her quickness is fine".

But many naturally assume, because of her size, and how often she spends time in the middle of the court banging winners away, that she's slow or mal conditioned. It's just not true of course.

As far as the "Inform Maria" and Petra? True. It's a different animal. But it's a psychologically one.

Petra has to realize if underpowered Vika can slaughter Masha on several occasions, while Sharapova can have these long, dragged out awful matches sometimes with a host of top 40 type players, then Petra herself can move Masha around, hit the ROS up the middle more, and/or hit a few defensive and strategic shots against Masha when they play.

I loved Davenport's clean ball striking ability, but she was just such a terrible mover side to side. That's why playing against Serena was the match up from hell for her.

The break point statistics make me furious. If Petra won the same % of BPs as she did of total points in the match, she would maul Masha badly.

God, I want to see that bitch lose to Petra again. If Petra ever gets her Wimbledon or YEC form back, it will be a total massacre.

Yeah, on the faster courts, Maria will definitely have less time to defend and engage in rallies so Petra's first strike tennis will be much more effective against her.

bruce goose
May 1st, 2012, 05:19 AM
There's an early start to Madrid,so Petra's title defense begins this week...even if they don't schedule her first match 'til Monday or so;)

Excelscior
May 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM

Fear not Mac.

I know the Australian Open result, was understandably hard to swallow. But the Stuttgart result can be a bit of a one off for Maria.

It's no guarantee that that she'll win Madrid, Rome or Roland Garros, or even be a serious contender.

I'm not saying she won't or can't be. Not at all. What I'm saying is, it's a continually fluid situation, until we have some short to long term trends established this year.

And if Petra wins any combination of those three tournaments, the Stuttgart result will be quickly forgotten (unless Masha wins one of the others-for you of course). :lol: :lol: After all; it was a warm up.

bruce goose
May 1st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Defending a major title,many would agree,is a characteristic of a solid champion;let's see how well Petra deals with that challenge in Madrid:drive:

18majors
May 1st, 2012, 03:51 PM
Fear not Mac.

I know the Australian Open result, was understandably hard to swallow. But the Stuttgart result can be a bit of a one off for Maria.

It's no guarantee that that she'll win Madrid, Rome or Roland Garros, or even be a serious contender.

I'm not saying she won't or can't be. Not at all. What I'm saying is, it's a continually fluid situation, until we have some short to long term trends established this year.

And if Petra wins any combination of those three tournaments, the Stuttgart result will be quickly forgotten (unless Masha wins one of the others-for you of course). :lol: :lol: After all; it was a warm up.

Seriously, do you think Maria is the same player at Stuttgart as at 2012 AO? For one thing, her serves are much bigger and the strike angles much steeper.

I always consider Petra the favorite when she plays Maria but it may be a toss-up now after Maria's recent changes.

Excelscior
May 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM
Seriously, do you think Maria is the same player at Stuttgart as at 2012 AO? For one thing, her serves are much bigger and the strike angles much steeper.

I always consider Petra the favorite when she plays Maria but it may be a toss-up now after Maria's recent changes.

No she played great! No arguments there.

But it remains to be seen if she can maintain that level (just on general principle). But it also regards her serve. Will she serve like that outdoors in the upcoming months?

I'm not saying she can't. But let's wait and see, till some legitimate trends are established? It's been a long road to hoe for Sharapova up until now.

And indeed, she was very impressive in Stuttgart, and may be getting better? Once again, let's see?

PS: I would of said the same for Petra, even if she had won Stuttgart. Maria fans should do the same.

TennisAddict84
May 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM
Defending a major title,many would agree,is a characteristic of a solid champion;let's see how well Petra deals with that challenge in Madrid:drive:

I'm curious to see how she handles it as well at both Madrid and Wimbledon. Definitely hope she doesn't feel too much pressure.

Yeah, I think if Maria sustains her level and Petra doesn't make any adjustments the next time they face each other, then it's gonna be tough for Petra to beat her, albeit it'll still be a tight, closely contested match. But if Petra makes the necessary changes (which I'm sure her team will help her do), then Petra can definitely beat her the next time they play. In the Stuttgart semis, given the high number of BP opportunities Petra had, I think if she had just returned a little bit better, she could've won the match.

TimeyWimey
May 1st, 2012, 09:03 PM
I'm curious to see how she handles it as well at both Madrid and Wimbledon. Definitely hope she doesn't feel too much pressure.

i would only imagine the pressure will even be higher for her (than Melbourne and Stuttgart) b/c she's the defending champion of 3000 points in total, the level i don't think she has ever experienced before

Yeah, I think if Maria sustains her level and Petra doesn't make any adjustments the next time they face each other, then it's gonna be tough for Petra to beat her, albeit it'll still be a tight, closely contested match. But if Petra makes the necessary changes (which I'm sure her team will help her do), then Petra can definitely beat her the next time they play. In the Stuttgart semis, given the high number of BP opportunities Petra had, I think if she had just returned a little bit better, she could've won the match.

two scenarios 1) she cruises into a commanding lead and ends the match comfortably 2) she is trapped in a tight fight and just can not find the court and collapses to Maria again

i highly doubt she will ever beat Maria in a CLOSE match again

mac47
May 1st, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hoping for Maria's level to drop is a losing proposition. Petra needs to focus on those break points. If she takes even a third of them, she can beat Maria soundly.

mac47
May 1st, 2012, 09:16 PM
As it is, Petra is set to take a big tumble down the rankings unless she turns on GOAT mode for the next two months.

Excelscior
May 1st, 2012, 09:55 PM
As it is, Petra is set to take a big tumble down the rankings unless she turns on GOAT mode for the next two months.

Though it looks tough, I wouldn't count her out for defending her upcoming points soon.

Remember she had 1000 points to defend at Wimbledon last year, and she exceeded it.

Madrid could be more tricky. But remember she didn't play Rome, made only the 4th round of R. Garos and was only a finalist at Eastbourne (not the actual winner). So in theory, she can still pick up points during this stretch.

And Petra's weird. I know for most people the pressure of defending the points would bog them down. But with Petra, being some place familiar that she likes and had success, seems to be a calming influence. This also seems to affect her play as well. Remember she went to a Beyonce concert before she played Wickmayer? But only the upcoming time will tell though?

I know you focused on the executables Mac, which was Petra's blown ROS opportunities in the match. But what about the pure chance/bad luck scenarios?

If Petra hits that long volley, one more inch in, she wins the second set, and I think Maria loses that third set.

So they're a lot of areas where we can point at to feel good about another match. And that's providing both play at the same/similar level. What happens if Petra increases or maintains hers, and Maria's declines?

If they meet in Wimby; I think it'll be another wipe out. Maria would have to serve god like tennis, and never allow it to get to the ground strokes. Petra could also better volley there, and cut off points.

Spring Pools
May 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM
I think that Petra is the type of player who needs some time to mature. She has so much raw talent that she can kind of coast to semis especially indoors and outside of North America, but I think that there are so many facets of her game which is why it takes so much time for her to improve. I don't think she needs to be in any rush to dominate the tour. If she does that, she might not be able to get to the level that she wants to. I think that David Kotyza sees this too.
Anyway, I hope that she starts coming into net more because she has beautiful volleys and she hits so hard that it should be easier for her to come in. Also, if she gets more confidence coming in, she might be able to put a little more margin on her shots knowing that she can finish off points at net.

Excelscior
May 1st, 2012, 10:14 PM
I think that Petra is the type of player who needs some time to mature. She has so much raw talent that she can kind of coast to semis especially indoors and outside of North America, but I think that there are so many facets of her game which is why it takes so much time for her to improve. I don't think she needs to be in any rush to dominate the tour. If she does that, she might not be able to get to the level that she wants to. I think that David Kotyza sees this too.
Anyway, I hope that she starts coming into net more because she has beautiful volleys and she hits so hard that it should be easier for her to come in. Also, if she gets more confidence coming in, she might be able to put a little more margin on her shots knowing that she can finish off points at net.

From your mouth to gods ears.
All very well said!!!! :yeah::yeah:

TennisAddict84
May 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM

Very, very true. 100% agree

Sharapovian
May 1st, 2012, 10:37 PM
A few general comments on the match: won't go into too much detail, but the main thing was Petra didn't take her chances when she needed to. Took her a while to get some rhythm going on the return, maybe because she was maybe trying to go for too much early on/ or Maria was serving quite well (which she was in the 1st set). Also strange as it sounds, I think the surface (clay) actually helped Maria.

Agree :yeah: I know a lot of people wanted her to get to number one last year/beginning of this year, but like you said - give her some time to mature and who knows, she might go on to achieve bigger and better things.

I'll also quote part of a post which I made after AO as this is kind of relevant to what has been said:

Last thing I will say is, don't forget that this is just the second major Petra has played since she won Wimbledon. It's normal if she was feeling some pressure, and it can take a while to get used to being a slam champion (some longer than others) - there's a lot of players that won their second slam after 1/2/even 3 years. Petra was most certainly not playing her best tennis in Melbourne and still got to the SF, almost even reached the final. So imagine what her results would be if she was playing well, that's a way to look at it in my eyes.
Give her some time, she's still getting used to these new surroundings in the tennis world. Yes she could have gone further in Melbourne, and I know this loss is hard to take, but personally I would try not to dwell on what could have happened for too long and instead look ahead to what she can do in the future :) We know she is talented and capable of achieving much more in her career - there will be more opportunities I can assure you.

In a way similar to what Spring Pools was saying but put differently. Basically, let her mature a bit, not only mentally but this can mean improving certain aspects of her game or in other words find a way to make her game even more lethal/effective/or whatever you want to say (already is, but even some minor improvements can make a major difference).

bruce goose
May 2nd, 2012, 05:22 AM
I'm curious to see how she handles it as well at both Madrid and Wimbledon. Definitely hope she doesn't feel too much pressure.A Wimbledon/Olympics double-up would be an especially strong testimony to Petra's championship poise

TennisAddict84
May 2nd, 2012, 05:35 AM
A Wimbledon/Olympics double-up would be an especially strong testimony to Petra's championship poise

Hells yea. Would love for that to happen :yippee:

Martina CZ
May 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
A Wimbledon/Olympics double-up would be an especially strong testimony to Petra's championship poise
That would be really nice, let's see - she can be full of surprises and if staying healthy, she is capable of feat like this as both tournaments have that special feel - the same FedCup has to her :worship:
And don't forget the doubles with Radek Stepanek, that will be couple to beat, both giving full hart to the game! (but that belongs to different thread)

Vikapower
May 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM
:unsure: [confirmed by many ATP players] Apparently the surface of Madrid is much much more slower than last year with a lower bounce -- the latter part is not really problematic for Petra but the fact of it being slower means she might have to impart much more top spin with a lower and slower bounce and will not be able to hit really through the court like it was possible last year.

Actually the flight of ball will not be affected since it's still altitude but the swing path will be something more down to up than with a higher bounce where the swing was more straightforward and players with big shots could really take advantage with the altitude and little amount of clay they had on the top, I guess.

It seems like Madrid readjusted things to the environment which was playing too fast and not really in line with true clay-courts.

(Tell if I'm wrong or right or any additional information about that).

Excelscior
May 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
:unsure: [confirmed by many ATP players] Apparently the surface of Madrid is much much more slower than last year with a lower bounce -- the latter part is not really problematic for Petra but the fact of it being slower means she might have to impart much more top spin with a lower and slower bounce and will not be able to hit really through the court like it was possible last year.

Actually the flight of ball will not be affected since it's still altitude but the swing path will be something more down to up than with a higher bounce where the swing was more straightforward and players with big shots could really take advantage with the altitude and little amount of clay they had on the top, I guess.

It seems like Madrid readjusted things to the environment which was playing too fast and not really in line with true clay-courts.

(Tell if I'm wrong or right or any additional information about that).

Mmmhh.

Thanks for the news Vika power.

By your description, sounds like Madrid may play like an outdoor Istanbul now?

Remember, Istanbul was a very slow hard court, with a very low bounce.

That surface actually made it better for the likes of Petra, cause she was one of the few that could actually hit through the court. And it allowed Petra more opportunities for net play, lobs and drop shots she received from her competitors.

When you think about it, speed of court really doesn't affect Petra. And the slipperiness of the clay court will still affect the other competitors change of direction from her shots (as well as Petra-especially with the surface being slowed down). We'll see?

My question is though, was the previous clay ever really fast in the first place? Isn't it the thin air/high altitude that created the pace from the air?

If anything, by creating a lower bounce, you actually may of increased the changes for the flat hitting, power players (unless they really slowed down the clay, even more so-which would be quite unnatural to me).

Again; we'll see?

Sharapovian
May 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
I just read Jankovic saying something about the court being a bit faster, and apparently Bellucci said the same :unsure: I've also read about the court being slower so who knows :shrug:

Most have been saying the bounce is lower though. That shouldn't be a Problem for Petra, as was mentioned. Grass has a lower bounce than other surfaces, and Petra usually likes playing on grass.

About the court being slower, I'm not so sure how much effect that would have other than maybe not being able to end the point as quickly, and certain players not being able to hit through the court.

Verdasco probably gave the most in depth analysis:

Q. Having tried out the blue courts in your first training session, what was your impression of them?

A. good one overall. Coming to Madrid is always different because of the altitude, itís harder to control the ball, but as far as the court is concerned, in terms of mobility, I liked it a lot. Itís easy to move around it and the mark the ball leaves on the surface is crystal clear. Perhaps the surface is not quite as bouncy as normal, which will make the courts slower, but that could just be a result of us having trained on an indoor court in the cold. Some heat and sunlight might put a bit more life and bounce into the surface. Here in Madrid the conditions can change drastically depending on whether it is an indoor court in the cold or an outdoor court in the heat. Iíll have to try out an outdoor court when itís sunny to verify that, but from todayís experience the courts seemed slower than on previous occasions and the ball seemed to lose a lot of speed when it hit the surface. Itís clear that when you hit the ball it doesnít stop dead and in Madrid you need a few days to get used to that, but thatís more to do with the altitude than anything else. In general I liked what I saw, but Iím hoping to be able to test the courts out with some different weather conditions.

But taking altitude into account, that might have an effect...so guess we'll just have to wait and see what the courts play like.

Vikapower
May 4th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I just read Jankovic saying something about the court being a bit faster, and apparently Bellucci said the same :unsure: I've also read about the court being slower so who knows :shrug:

Verdasco probably gave the most in depth analysis:

But taking altitude into account, that might have an effect...so guess we'll just have to wait and see what the courts play like.

Thanks Yazoo, very instructive and good information given by Verdasco. Well I think we'll have to wait and see -- he analyses though tends to the court being a bit slower than the previous years.

Conditions might change the overall rendering of the court as he said (sun etc.) so that has to be taken into consideration before any definite opinion can be given.

Mmmhh.

Thanks for the news Vika power.

By your description, sounds like Madrid may play like an outdoor Istanbul now?

Remember, Istanbul was a very slow hard court, with a very low bounce.

That surface actually made it better for the likes of Petra, cause she was one of the few that could actually hit through the court. And it allowed Petra more opportunities for net play, lobs and drop shots she received from her competitors.

When you think about it, speed of court really doesn't affect Petra. And the slipperiness of the clay court will still affect the other competitors change of direction from her shots (as well as Petra-especially with the surface being slowed down). We'll see?

My question is though, was the previous clay ever really fast in the first place? Isn't it the thin air/high altitude that created the pace from the air?

If anything, by creating a lower bounce, you actually may of increased the changes for the flat hitting, power players (unless they really slowed down the clay, even more so-which would be quite unnatural to me).

Again; we'll see?

Well yes, it was quite fast. I think actually it's the combination of the altitude and amount of clay they put on the surface that made it kind of really quick.

I've never really read any real proper description of what the surface looked like but it certainly did favor players with very high aggressive plays/sequences in their game hence why Petra was quite comfortable playing.

I agree though too that the surface isn't technically a problem for her -- it's just probably going to slightly modify the way she goes for her shots and extend the exchanges a little more I guess.

Vikapower
May 4th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Most have been saying the bounce is lower though. That shouldn't be a Problem for Petra, as was mentioned. Grass has a lower bounce than other surfaces, and Petra usually likes playing on grass.

About the court being slower, I'm not so sure how much effect that would have other than maybe not being able to end the point as quickly, and certain players not being able to hit through the court.

:shrug: Actually Petra likes low bounce but the problem is it's low and slow (stops) -- :shrug: I think she prefers the ball to kind of skid or something like that anyways she prefers a trajectory that stays almost flat like post-bounce thus keeps velocity/speed than one who just stops and rises pretty low.

If the ball is low and doesn't have much forward momentum a player has to impart more top spin, can not really use the speed of the ball and can not really hit through it -- I think with a higher bounce even if the court would be extremely slow it would advantage Petra since the ball would come up over waist height where she would be able to hit through it, no ? :shrug:

I'm not really a specialist of courts/bounce etc. well we'll see when the first matches start.

bruce goose
May 4th, 2012, 05:33 AM
It seems to me that a couple of the higher seeds at MMs Estoril and Budapest might've shown up there just to get a quick warm-up for Madrid before tanking vs. near-bottom-level scrubs in order to catch an earlier flight to Spain.Petra is ranked too high to play more than a couple MMs per year now,but I hope she never undermines the sport with the sort of chickenshit tank job that I referred to above

paulmara
May 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Petra Kvitova ‏ @Petra_Kvitova 20h
I will be answering Twitter questions for @LaureusSport in Madrid tomorrow - please send your questions to them :)

Laureus ‏ @LaureusSport 23h
Our Twitter Interview guest @Petra_Kvitova winning at #wimbledon. Send us your questions for her by tomorrow.

26 Apr Petra Kvitova ‏ @Petra_Kvitova
@annaedwards3 Thanks to you too! I had great fun filming the special report for Sky Sports News this week

PetraReeMona
May 4th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Petra Kvitova ‏ @Petra_Kvitova 20h
I will be answering Twitter questions for @LaureusSport in Madrid tomorrow - please send your questions to them :)

Laureus ‏ @LaureusSport 23h
Our Twitter Interview guest @Petra_Kvitova winning at #wimbledon. Send us your questions for her by tomorrow.

26 Apr Petra Kvitova ‏ @Petra_Kvitova
@annaedwards3 Thanks to you too! I had great fun filming the special report for Sky Sports News this week

Any idea when it will be shown?

EDIT: I found out. 21st May @ 7.30pm Sky Sports News. I will record it and put it on YT if I can ;)

Sharapovian
May 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM
:shrug: Actually Petra likes low bounce but the problem is it's low and slow (stops) -- :shrug: I think she prefers the ball to kind of skid or something like that anyways she prefers a trajectory that stays almost flat like post-bounce thus keeps velocity/speed than one who just stops and rises pretty low.

If the ball is low and doesn't have much forward momentum a player has to impart more top spin, can not really use the speed of the ball and can not really hit through it -- I think with a higher bounce even if the court would be extremely slow it would advantage Petra since the ball would come up over waist height where she would be able to hit through it, no ? :shrug:

Yeah I don't think the bounce will be as low as a grass court (I just used that as an example) and was mainly talking about low bounce in general terms - didn't take into account the ball losing speed/stopping.

I do see what you mean about lower bounce and velocity factor - if the ball does slow down/ or even stops when it hits the court that might be a problem for certain players. If what Verdasco said is true, maybe we will see lots of players using dropshots :oh:

If it were a slow court with a high bounce, then yes I think that might have been advantage to Petra. She would have been one of the players that could hit through it.

I'm not really a specialist of courts/bounce etc. well we'll see when the first matches start.

Me neither, but you seem to know more than me. I understand what you meant about the ball slowing down etc.

According to certain people on MTF, the court would favour players like Federer, Isner, Raonic but not Nadal. So from that, I'm guessing players that like to use a lot of topsin might not like this court, whereas big servers/flat hitters might prefer the conditions. :shrug: (More of that is probably due to the bounce, rather than the speed).

Sharapovian
May 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM
According to someone in GM, Petra is in the bottom half (along with Serena, Sharapova, Stosur)

Top half: Azarenka, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Kerber, Venus, Li Na, Radwanska, Cibulkova, Schiavone, Bartoli.
Bottom half: Stosur, Zvonareva, Kirilenko, Kvitova, Wozniacki, Serena, Jankovic, Sharapova

Full draw should be up soon.

Vikapower
May 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Here's some of the reviews on the surface we can get, unfortunately not much from WTA players -- what they're doing :scratch:

Tennis.com

MADRID (AP)—Top-ranked Novak Djokovic complains the surface makes it difficult to judge the ball's bounce.

''The sensation is extraordinary. I was immediately seduced by the quality of this surface,'' said Gaston Cloup, who leads the veteran crew. ''It's not the same color as traditional clay but it's a traditional clay surface. All products used to make it are identical to usual process, including the dye.''

Djokovic and Milos Raonic are among the first players to practice at the Magic Box center, with the 23rd-ranked Canadian player tweeting: ''Hitting on the Smurf clay, the bounce is lower and the 2 courts I practiced on were a bit more slippery than usual.''

Djokovic beat Nadal in a clay-court final for the first time here last year - although it was on the traditional red surface.

''The first impression is that the bounce is a little bit different. Especially with the slice, it bounces low,'' said the top-ranked Serbian. ''It's hard to judge.''

Madrid's high altitude already throws a twist into the clay court calendar as the thin air speeds up a normally slow game, so a surface that slows a bit may not be such a bad thing. Spanish player Fernando Verdasco expects the sun's heat to put more bounce into the surface.

Vikapower
May 4th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah I don't think the bounce will be as low as a grass court (I just used that as an example) and was mainly talking about low bounce in general terms - didn't take into account the ball losing speed/stopping.

I do see what you mean about lower bounce and velocity factor - if the ball does slow down/ or even stops when it hits the court that might be a problem for certain players. If what Verdasco said is true, maybe we will see lots of players using dropshots :oh:

If it were a slow court with a high bounce, then yes I think that might have been advantage to Petra. She would have been one of the players that could hit through it.

:lol: Yeah that's true (about the drop-shots) -- Excelsior talked about an Istanbul YEC on clay ; I'm not too far from thinking that too.

Me neither, but you seem to know more than me. I understand what you meant about the ball slowing down etc.

According to certain people on MTF, the court would favour players like Federer, Isner, Raonic but not Nadal. So from that, I'm guessing players that like to use a lot of topsin might not like this court, whereas big servers/flat hitters might prefer the conditions. :shrug: (More of that is probably due to the bounce, rather than the speed).

Yes I agree with that -- With a low bounce Nadal's top spin or players who use lots of top spin might see the effect not fully render on that surface. Well Federer should be happy about that. ;)

:lol: I wished we had more reviews from the girls, really, their shots are way different from ATP tennis considering they hit pretty flat most of the times.

PetraReeMona
May 4th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Here's some of the reviews on the surface we can get, unfortunately not much from WTA players -- what they're doing :scratch:

Tennis.com

Let's hope her slice is working now (unlike at Stuttgart) :devil: