PDA

View Full Version : Caro did not shake the umpire hand?

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
bitchy :oh:

MarkNL
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Kadar was right though :oh:

Why Caro :spit: Unneccasary...

doomsday
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Who cares? Just get out of the court pathetic pusher.

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM

what happened exactly? he overrun the call?

Wiggly
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
She also threw her towel and give him a "staredown".

Still, if your second serve is overruled, you should get a second serve. It's a bit silly to get a free 1st serve.

Young 8
http://www.urbanchristiannews.com/ucn/rory-mcilroy-WIMBLEDON.jpg

smarties
''At least let her challenge if I don't have any challenge left'':facepalm:

Kworb
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM
what happened exactly? he overrun the call?

Sharapova's second serve was called out
Nouni overrules it as in
Woz can't challenge cause she doesn't have any left
Hawkeye shows Nouni was right anyway
Woz pissed off and doesn't shake Nouni's hand

FORZA SARITA
awwww miss sunshine

treufreund
Not Caroline's best moment but she was not thinking all that clearly. She should be mad at herself for tightening back up and losing her aggression.

JJ all the way
Kadar and Caro - OFficially broken up .... too bad cuz he is an upgrade from Roryy

spiritedenergy

Still, if your second serve is overruled, you should get a second serve. It's a bit silly to get a free 1st serve.

what do you mean? did he give her a 1st serve?

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM

:lol: the new rule

hablo
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Exactly. :haha:

Wiggly
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM

I'm quite sure he did. Otherwise that was a massive 2nd serve.

gulzhan
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM
:bigwave: Sunshine!

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Sharapova's second serve was called out
Nouni overrules it as in
Woz can't challenge cause she doesn't have any left
Hawkeye shows Nouni was right anyway
Woz pissed off and doesn't shake Nouni's hand

wow he saved sharapova, imagine if he shut up, she would have lost her MP on a double fault, and from there the choking could have happened:eek:

she needs to buy him a drink :oh:

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM

but that's not possible. it was 2nd serve, shara tried her luck

doomsday

Did she really say that? :lol:

gc-spurs

Straight up wrongness.

Emina.
She's so stupid it hurts!!! Go back to Monaco and never return!!!Take your Rory with you as well :weirdo::weirdo:

Queenpova
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Did she really say that? :lol:
i fucking cant

FORZA SARITA
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:00 PM

i think so because maria hit a big serve :lol:

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM
wow he saved sharapova, imagine if he shut up, she would have lost her MP on a double fault, and from there the choking could have happened:eek:

She probably would have challenged.... You realise there's a system for such things.

Mugria
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Her first and second serves are pretty indistinguishable

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Kader :worship: Amazing call!!!
I can understand Woz...it's was or/or moment for her...

Adrian.
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Caro :o

she is so dumb :haha: she really said to Kadar:

If I can't challenge, let her challenge the call. She wanted to challenge before you overruled. Come on Kadar.

:haha:

gulzhan
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
but that's not possible. it was 2nd serve, shara tried her luck

Umpire gave the 1st serve (I heard him saying that) and that was right according to the rules. It was the linesman who made an error, hence 1st serve.

John.
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I cringed for her.

Seriously the "at least let her challenge comment" :facepalm:

Sunshine my ass

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Umpire gave the 1st serve (I heard him saying that) and that was right according to the rules. It was the linesman who made an error, hence 1st serve.

really? OMG... then he should have let maria challange, it was more fair:o

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Does it matter?? He was right. A good call's a good call.

antonella
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Glad I missed this.

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Does it matter?? He was right. A good call's a good call.

because it was fair for her to have a 2nd serve, not a 1st serve... it was match point.

I wonder if this rule is ever used? i have never seen it implemented until today

Beat
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM

did she really say that? :haha: what brilliant logic.

gulzhan
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Why would he make Maria to challenge the call if he was sure 100% that the ball was in? :confused: He is an umpire, that's his job to make a call if he saw the ball. The wrong call by linesman came at 2nd serve, umpire corrected the linesman and gave 1st serve to the player. It's always like that. Never heard anyone questioning this rule. Would be the same in case of hinderance. For example, Caro is serving, she makes first serve and misses, she is making 2nd serve and another ball gets on court-- the umpire stops serving and gives Wozniacki 1st serve. You think there would be argument about that? No, there wouldn't.

gc-spurs
because it was fair for her to have a 2nd serve, not a 1st serve... it was match point.

I wonder if this rule is ever used? i have never seen it implemented until today

This rule is used a lot. He can't not follow the rules.

doujyr
a lot of people on here don't know the rules :eek:

vixter

Yes this rule is used frequently. It's not fair against Maria if she has to serve another 2nd serve and risk a double fault, since her serve was in. The linesman made an error so the point must be replayed. If it's match point or the first point of the match shouldn't matter, right? :)

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Why would he make Maria to challenge the call if he was sure 100% that the ball was in? :confused: He is an umpire, that's his job to make a call if he saw the ball. The wrong call by linesman came at 2nd serve, umpire corrected the linesman and gave 1st serve to the player. It's always like that. Never heard anyone questioning this rule. Would be the same in case of hinderance. For example, Caro is serving, she makes first serve and misses, she is making 2nd serve and another ball gets on court-- the umpire stops serving and gives Wozniacki 1st serve. You think there would be argument about that? No, there wouldn't.

oh ok, thanks for clarifying, i had no idea about this rule:)

JN
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:18 PM
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss298/SUPERHUMAN12_2009/AtomicBomb.gif

Maria rocks
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM

:lol::lol::lol: This!:lol::lol::lol:

Monzanator
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Since Kader was right anyway, this whole thread is meaningless. And some Pova haters will always find a reason to diminish her success :sobbing: Luckily they were few and far between here ;)

Balltossovic
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM

But it's not a free first serve. if a call is made and overridden, the call is to replay the point. Therefore, it's a first serve.

Maria won that point, but because of the wrong call, and the fact that Caro got her racket on the ball, the point had to be replayed.

JustPetko
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Wasn't she disqualified for abusing an umpire in juniors? :confused:

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:22 PM

Then again its Maria... they're all first serves.

Patrick345

If I can't challenge, let her challenge the call. She wanted to challenge before you overruled. Come on Kadar.

:lol::lol:

laurie
Kader Nouni actually did Wozniacki a favour because he could have given Sharapova the match but decided on a first serve and yet Wozniacki still made a scene and didn't shake his hand :smash:

Balltossovic
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:23 PM
How would have been more fair? If the umpire sees a mistake, it's his job, his responsibility to make the call.

And he did. Not his fault Caro didn't have any challenges left (which she would've lost anyway).

Balltossovic
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM

It wouldn't have been far precisely for that reason. What if Maria didn't have any challenges left, and they called a double fault?

First serve is the rule.

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Since Kader was right anyway, this whole thread is meaningless. And some Pova haters will always find a reason to diminish her success :sobbing: Luckily they were few and far between here ;)

where are the haters who "diminish her success"? maybe in your head...

Steven.
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM

oh fuck off. Caro netted that return so if anything it delayed your little cockeroach's demise for a minute

amd maria was about to challenge anyways before the overrule :wavey:

Cajka
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Seriously, is there so many people who don't know that the player gets the first serve when the point is repeated? :unsure:

Patrick345

How is this thread in any way an attempt to diminish Sharapova´s win? It´s to make fun of Caro´s absurd and unsportsmanlike behaviour. This forum makes some people paranoid. :tape:

Geertvg
It was unnecessary, childish and just silly. You were wrong 3 times before in the set before, deal with it. And he was right. Again. She looked like a 12 year old brat out there.

gulzhan
Kader Nouni actually did Wozniacki a favour because he could have given Sharapova the match but decided on a first serve and yet Wozniacki still made a scene and didn't shake his hand :smash:

Exactly! Replaying the point was questionable because Wozniacki hit the ball into the net at the same time the linesman called the serve out. Nouni could have decided the call of linesman came later. He decided to make it fair since it was a MP and yet, Wozniacki couldn't even see the umpire was favoring her! What a spoiled brat!

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
OnTheGoTennis ‏ @onthegotennis Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
First question: Someone asked about if she was happy that they replay showed the ball was on the line.

Caro: No, it doesn't. No, because I think when the ball is so close that I think he should give her a chance to challenge

Caro: at least when I don't have any challenges. She was gonna challenge it, anyways. So if it shows it's good, it's good.

Is she serious?

Rex59
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Kadar and Caro - OFficially broken up .... too bad cuz he is an upgrade from Roryy

:lol:

Nicolás89
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
The match was over after she missed that forehand at 15-30 though. :lol: An overrule in match point is always tough so I can understand her being mad.

Young 8
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Seriously, is there so many people who don't know that the player gets the first serve when the point is repeated? :unsure:

I agree, unbelievable

Monzanator
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM
where are the haters who "diminish her success"? maybe in your head...

How is this thread in any way an attempt to diminish Sharapova´s win? It´s to make fun of Caro´s absurd and unsportsmanlike behaviour. This forum makes some people paranoid. :tape:

How come I'm not surprised it's you two that responded my claims? :lol: Guess you know best whom I had in mind :worship:

The comment about Sharapova in need of buying Kader a drink because he saved her ass is hardly a reflection of making Caro look absurd :shrug: So, what's it's gonna be? Caro being a fool or Nouni unfairly saving Maria from DF on MP? Because it won't cut both ways!

CWTennis
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Maria thought she won te match :spit:
Caro was right to doubt Kader, he did a lot of shit lately :shrug:
Caro! :drool: I always knew there's is little bitch inside you!

doujyr
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:33 PM
An overrule in match point is always tough so I can understand her being mad.

agreed. how many on this thread actually play any competitive sport? i doubt i would be calm and able to give a sensible interview after losing a close high prestige match in that fashion, even if the official was later proven to be right.

pokey camp
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
First question: Someone asked about if she was happy that they replay showed the ball was on the line.

Caro: No, it doesn't. No, because I think when the ball is so close that I think he should give her a chance to challenge

Caro: at least when I don't have any challenges. She was gonna challenge it, anyways. So if it shows it's good, it's good.

Is she serious?
WTH would Maria do YOU a favor and challenge a call that went in her favor? Especially since she rightly thought the overrule was the correct call from the start? :weirdo:

Beny
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM

Then you probably dont watch much tennis. Or you watch only matches without the hawk-eye. I´ve seen it implemented at least 10 times and no player made a big deal out of it. The rules say: Replay the point, which means you start all over.

Imagine there is a long rally after a second serve and this happens, a good ball´s called out and the player got it. The replay the point, the server doesnt start with a second serve even though he missed the first serve initially and the rally was after a second serve.

The rules is pretty simple and sensible

Shivank17

I was wondering the same thing! :scratch:

And then most of them pretend to be experts. :oh: :secret:

Monzanator
It's the new Wozniacki Hawkeye Rule... :lol: Overall though, she thought she had Pova on the slide after that first set, yet still came up short and couldn't deal with it, simple as that.

Trih
I don't blame Caro for being mad, I think it's normal to be if you're losing a match like this, nonetheless Nouni (for once after all the mistakes he usually does) was right. They had to replay the point (because of the overrule) so he gave Maria a 1st. Caroline had bad luck of being out of challenges, but that changes nothing (unless making her even more mad) because, as we saw from the hawkeye, Nouni was right correcting the call.
I think there's nothing else to say.

Brena
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
It's not bitchy, it's retarded.

Londoner
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
The umpire behaved badly. He also told Caro she had no challenges left in a ver derogatory way when he didn't need to tell her. At a critical moment too.

Is he a drunk? I can't stand his manner. And the way he pronounced Sharapova is ridiculous.

PetraReeMona
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:39 PM

+1

C. Drone

yup, if anyone was "robbed" that was Maria.

Sunshine should have think a bit and choose her words better. :silly: :hug:

spiritedenergy
The umpire behaved badly. He also told Caro she had no challenges left in a ver derogatory way when he didn't need to tell her. At a critical moment too.

Is he a drunk? I can't stand his manner. And the way he pronounced Sharapova is ridiculous.

that was rude, i agree. also, what's wrong with his teeth?:help:

homogenius
http://www.urbanchristiannews.com/ucn/rory-mcilroy-WIMBLEDON.jpg

:scared:

chingching
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:40 PM

Was this on match point!!! OMG
Well done Kadar for having the guts to do it
Caro is becoming a spoilt brat. every time someone hits a winner passing shot and they say come on, she calls them for hindrance (vs tarishvili and arvidsson)

Jim_Bard
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Man, I found this place and signed up as soon as the match was over, because I wanted to discuss it with other tennis fans. And here's a five page thread about how Woz didn't shake the ump's hand. :D Hi everybody, nice to meet you. :)

spiritedenergy
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Man, I found this place and signed up as soon as the match was over, because I wanted to discuss it with other tennis fans. And here's a five page thread about how Woz didn't shake the ump's hand. :D Hi everybody, nice to meet you. :)

welcome fellow aga fan!:D

Young 8
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM

No, he didn't

Sharapova would've won the challenge & replay the point in any case

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Save yourself.

GrandMartha
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM
People are surprised by Wozniacki's attitude? :unsure:
She once complained about the Hawk eye because it showed her opponent's ball was in while the mark she saw was not on the line :happy:

ranfurly
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Hi Tea :lol:

Yoncé
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM

It happens all the time, if you hit a second serve and its called out, if you challenge and it is shown as being in you get a first serve because its an interruption of play so its basically like playing let.

Patrick345
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Wozniacki stopped the rally and raised her arm to challenge, when she had no challenge left. He overruled the call late in her favour, saved her and reminded her that she had no challenges left. Wozniacki fans throwing her personal umpire under the bus. :lol:

She pulled the same trick (bold part) a game later and again drew a late outcall from the linesman. That´s also part of her gamesmanship. Then she has the audacity to get upset at Nouni for making the correct call on matchpoint (and even being gracious enough to replay the point, which was a 50/50 call). Afterwards she makes these retarded comments in the press conference about Sharapova challenging for her and that it is wrong that the umpire overrules. That´s his job. LOL.

Trih
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Hello! :D

About that call again, Nouni could also have given Maria the match because of that overrule saying the ball was good...

madmax
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I can't believe that some posters here can justify Moonballniacki's gamesmanship tactics...she is the worst offender of the rules currently, yet nobody seems to call her out for it and just simply let it slide. I wonder why?:unsure:

Stonerpova
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Save yourself.

But really.

Woz needs to pull that big ugly stick out of her ass. She never got preferential treatment when she was #1, why would she get it now?

And will someone explain the Tea thing? I guess I haven't been here long enough. Is it a banned user or something?

NashaMasha
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Kader is becoming popular among Sunshine's fans ))) For sure Caro lost only because Kader was rude with her and prefered taller and leggy blond:rolls::happy:

Monzanator
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I can't believe that some posters here can justify Moonballniacki's gamesmanship tactics...she is the worst offender of the rules currently, yet nobody seems to call her out for it and just simply let it slide. I wonder why?:unsure:

Because she was playing Sharapova, the only player with a remotely huge haters' base on TF. If she was playing Peng Shuai or Hantuchova, she'd be slaughtered over here :lol:

MaBaker
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM
:bigwave: Sunshine!

I cringed for her.

Seriously the "at least let her challenge comment" :facepalm:

Sunshine my ass
It's not bitchy, it's retarded.
All that.

http://i41.tinypic.com/14c5v9g.gif

Ryusuke Tenma
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Lots of haters in force. Sure, Wozniacki was wrong here but how many times do you people worship ballbashers like Bansheepova and Williams for being assholes? Haha, the opinions in this forum are hilarious. Sharapova being bitchy = hot and okay. Wozniacki being bitchy a couple of times a year = bad and wrong. Stfu :lol:

Ryusuke Tenma
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
All that.

http://i41.tinypic.com/14c5v9g.gif
Pathetic haters at it again. What a surprise :lol:

Monzanator
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Lots of haters in force. Sure, Wozniacki was wrong here but how many times do you people worship ballbashers like Bansheepova and Williams for being assholes? Haha, the opinions in this forum are hilarious. Sharapova being bitchy = hot and okay. Wozniacki being bitchy a couple of times a year = bad and wrong. Stfu :lol:

Probably has something to do with the slamless #1 label. Asshole or not, you can't get around that one :lol:

Adrian.
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Caro: If it shows it's out, it's out. The ball was so close that it might as well have been out.

:hysteric: she said that even again after the match on PR :hysteric::facepalm:
This girl needs some serious help :sobbing:

CWTennis
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:34 PM

for once you're right! One word HYPOCRITES! :tape:

Jim_Bard
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM
And will someone explain the Tea thing? I guess I haven't been here long enough. Is it a banned user or something?

I guess it's a reference to high tea, which is a kid of late afternoon snack/light meal in some parts of England. Heh. :D

Jane Lane
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Looks Kader's Caro fetish will be over regardless. :oh: No more flirting.

LAW OF TF #26: Any poster who trolls with a recent join date, less than 500 posts, and/or red negative rep bars is a ghost of tea or Serenidad.

JN
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Caro: If it shows it's out, it's out. The ball was so close that it might as well have been out.

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/40.gif Talk about feeling entitled. Had she been blowing the ump or somethin'? :shrug:

schorsch
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Then you probably dont watch much tennis. Or you watch only matches without the hawk-eye. I´ve seen it implemented at least 10 times and no player made a big deal out of it. The rules say: Replay the point, which means you start all over.

Imagine there is a long rally after a second serve and this happens, a good ball´s called out and the player got it. The replay the point, the server doesnt start with a second serve even though he missed the first serve initially and the rally was after a second serve.

The rules is pretty simple and sensible

The only time I have seen an umpire give a second serve was in the most recent match Between Davydenko and Federer where a rally was played after the second serve and hawkeye made them replay a point :tape: Kolya:"I get first serve!" Murphy:"No, you had already missed the first serve!" :o Fed stood there acting like it was the right call, too :rolleyes:.

Valanga
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Caro :facepalm:

Monzanator
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
What were the circumstances when MJMS missed a 2nd serve when she thought she was serving a 1st? Was there a hawkeye involved? To be honest, I forgot about those details!

mateusz2904
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:53 PM

:haha: I didn't have an interesting day today, but what she'd said really made me laugh :lol: It's not like I don't like her, but it was really ridiculous and pathetic.

Vulturepova
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Caroline is horrible.

She should be called Moonshine instead.

Just like the uneducated hicks that knock it back :o

LightWarrior
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Nice girl she is I'm sure she has already apologized to Kader Nuni by now. lol

NashaMasha
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Nice girl she is I'm sure she has already apologized to Kader Nuni by now. lol

No she has not

On press conference

First question: Someone asked about if Caro was happy that they replay showed the ball was on the line.

Caro: No, it doesn't. No, because I think when the ball is so close that I think he should give her a chance to challenge.at least when I don't have any challenges. She was gonna challenge it, anyways. So if it shows it's good, it's good.If it shows it's out, it's out. The ball was so close that it might as well have been out.

:happy::happy::facepalm::rolls:

Charlatan
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:10 PM

danieln1 is not even a caro fan. he is an obsessive maria hater (just like the person in my sig)

LightWarrior
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:15 PM
No she has not

On press conference

Wow making it worse. Woz is so stupid. Did she even cross her that the umpire was actually doing his job ? :help:

Vincey!
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM

humm when Sharapova is being "bitchy" it's when a player attacks her, she never use gamesmanship or shady tactics to try to disturb her opponents. (the only you could think of could be her shriek, but it's been proved the it was not the purpose of shrieking) Caro has done that alot, trying to convince umpires of hindrance from her opponents, trying to convince people that balls are out etc..... I don't really care if she didn't shake Nouni's hand, what I despite is her logic in there. Why would the umpire let a player challenge a ball if he knew that the ball was good. In any means he was wrong by overruling the call. It's not because Wozniacki had no more challenges that he needed to yet give her another favor and let Sharapova possibly challenge the ball. As many poster mentioned she hits the ball in the net THEN the linesman called the ball out, Nouni overruled and told Sharapova she had to replay the point. Sharapova came up to him and asked why she hadn't won the point since Caro hit the ball before the call came. Therefore not distracted by the call. He could and probably should have gave the point to Maria, but since it was on MP he replayed the point. Yet Nouni gave her a favor but she gets mad about it and act like a brat. Caro was allowed to be mad during the match since she didn't know if the ball was out or in, but her comments and request during and after the match are totally ridiculous and makes no sense at all.

Once again, why would an umpire not do his job only because one player has no more challenges. The challenges are there to help the PLAYER, not to diminish the umpire jobs. The first call go to the umpire THEN the player decides if they wanna use the challenge system. Not the other way around.

Shafanovic.
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:20 PM

Caroline was wrong here.

1. It was her own fault she didn't have anymore challenges.
2. If he was to do what Caro said and changed his call so Maria has a chance to challenge, it would've looked like he was taking sides which he's not supposed to do. Kader is supposed to make the calls and do whatever's right. He saw it as in, so he called it in.

:shrug: Caroline should just let it go. Yes I know it was in the heat of the moment.

What happened in this match isn't even a big deal. Everyone slips :shrug: Doesn't mean Caro's not a nice person/classless/poor sportsmanship.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Caroline was wrong here.

2. If he was to do what Caro said and changed his call so Maria has a chance to challenge, it would've looked like he was taking sides which he's not supposed to do. Kader is supposed to make the calls and do whatever's right. He saw it as in, so he called it in.

:shrug: Caroline should just let it go. Yes I know it was in the heat of the moment.

What happened in this match isn't even a big deal. Everyone slips :shrug: Doesn't mean Caro's not a nice person/classless/poor sportsmanship.

Exactly...

NashaMasha
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Once again, why would an umpire not do his job only because one player has no more challenges. The challenges are there to help the PLAYER, not to diminish the umpire jobs. The first call go to the umpire THEN the player decides if they wanna use the challenge system. Not the other way around.

Moreover, Nouni tries always to help players save Challenges with his hints (if he is 100% sure ball is out/in)

SwingVolley93
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
what happened?!?! I missed the last part of the match, please someone fill me in :wavey:

Russianboy
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
humm when Sharapova is being "bitchy" it's when a player attacks her, she never use gamesmanship or shady tactics to try to disturb her opponents. (the only you could think of could be her shriek, but it's been proved the it was not the purpose of shrieking) Caro has done that alot, trying to convince umpires of hindrance from her opponents, trying to convince people that balls are out etc..... I don't really care if she didn't shake Nouni's hand, what I despite is her logic in there. Why would the umpire let a player challenge a ball if he knew that the ball was good. In any means he was wrong by overruling the call. It's not because Wozniacki had no more challenges that he needed to yet give her another favor and let Sharapova possibly challenge the ball. As many poster mentioned she hits the ball in the net THEN the linesman called the ball out, Nouni overruled and told Sharapova she had to replay the point. Sharapova came up to him and asked why she hadn't won the point since Caro hit the ball before the call came. Therefore not distracted by the call. He could and probably should have gave the point to Maria, but since it was on MP he replayed the point. Yet Nouni gave her a favor but she gets mad about it and act like a brat. Caro was allowed to be mad during the match since she didn't know if the ball was out or in, but her comments and request during and after the match are totally ridiculous and makes no sense at all.

this.

SwingVolley93
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
NVM found it
OjCCl384fHI

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:30 PM
No she has not

On press conference

First question: Someone asked about if Caro was happy that they replay showed the ball was on the line.

Caro: No, it doesn't. No, because I think when the ball is so close that I think he should give her a chance to challenge.at least when I don't have any challenges. She was gonna challenge it, anyways. So if it shows it's good, it's good.If it shows it's out, it's out. The ball was so close that it might as well have been out.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B3e2bFEGviQ/T1n_sdSZwpI/AAAAAAAAFTM/uJY89qvsPSI/s1600/dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

Shafanovic.
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Hmmm, seems like Kader was in the wrong a little bit too, didn't make a difference but Maria should've gotten the point there because the linesman obviously called the ball out AFTER she hit it.

C. Drone
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:35 PM

this all.

Vincey!
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hmmm, seems like Kader was in the wrong a little bit too, didn't make a difference but Maria should've gotten the point there because the linesman obviously called the ball out AFTER she hit it.

yes exactly hence why Wozniacki's reaction on and off court are totally classless

sammy01
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:38 PM

it is amazing, people like tennis to the point where they post on a tennis forum, yet have no idea of the rules.

if an overrule is made the point is replayed from the start, the start of a point starts with a 1st serve. the rule is exactly as it should be because if the overrule had come on the 30th shot of the rally off a 2nd serve you couldn't seriously replay the point from a 2nd serve even if anyone remembered whether it was 1st or 2nd serve.

NashaMasha
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:39 PM
it was a matchpoint , so a replay was more fair. Kader was not sure for 100% that Caro hit the ball before linesmen call

Rest Maria!
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:43 PM
what happened?!?! I missed the last part of the match, please someone fill me in :wavey:

Did you watch Azarenka-Barthel match at AO? Wozniacki pulled off an Azarenka after blowing off all her challenges earlier in the set.

perseus2006
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:44 PM
An intense match and I am euphoric about Pova's win! Both girls played full tilt with ups and downs and even some sideways action, I swear there was!

What happened was: On matchpoint, after more than two and a half hours of ferocious play, a linesman calls Pova's second serve out! Pova immediately challenges, then Kader overrules the linesman, and Woz throws a minor hissyfit. No matter what happens her, whether Pova gets her challenge or Kader's overrule, the rules call for a Replay of the point because Woz contacted the ball. So the match ended correctly and fairly when Pova won the Replay.

But, what we see in this thread, is a bunch of fatassed, gob stuffed couch potatoes carrying on about Woz's totally justifiable hissyfit! When the adrenaline leaks out and the blood stops pounding and the muscles relax, I am sure Woz will reconcile herself to the loss, perhaps as soon as April 9. Loved her fight! Loved her attitude! Even though she was totally wrong about the calls, she was fighting to win with an attitude that just might lead to her becoming an elite player.

I am deleriously happy that Pova held her off and won the match. Really good match from both girls.

Utterchaos
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Just shows again and again that "Suneshine" image is 100% fake and created for media by her PR team. When something doesn't go her way, her ugly personality is exposed time and time again. She's truly Nadal of WTA.

Cajka
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:55 PM
it is amazing, people like tennis to the point where they post on a tennis forum, yet have no idea of the rules.

OTOH, the players don't know them neither obviously.

She had no challenges remaining and she refused to shake his hand because he didn't let her challenge the call. I mean, WTF?! :confused: And her explanation that Maria would've challenged that anyway is also :help: Yes, she would, but before the overrule. She thought it was in and the umpire confirmed it. Why would she waste her challenge because Caro doesn't believe in umpire's decision?!

CWTennis
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Just shows again and again that "Suneshine" image is 100% fake and created for media by her PR team. When something doesn't go her way, her ugly personality is exposed time and time again. She's truly Nadal of WTA.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/CWTennis/Tennis%20Gifs/Calmthefuckdown.gif

killerqueen
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:13 PM

She had no challenges remaining and she refused to shake his hand because he didn't let her challenge the call. I mean, WTF?! :confused: And her explanation that Maria would've challenged that anyway is also :help: Yes, she would, but before the overrule. She thought it was in and the umpire confirmed it. Why would she waste her challenge because Caro doesn't believe in umpire's decision?!

Exactly - why would Maria possibly want to challenge a call that is close enough to split the officals, but has fallen in her favour? Why would she risk losing the point when it's in her hands? :lol:

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Exactly - why would Maria possibly want to challenge a call that is close enough to split the officals, but has fallen in her favour? Why would she risk losing the point when it's in her hands? :lol:

Because Caro thinks its a good idea.

Vincey!
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:22 PM

Well I think some people got Caro's mistaken tho, I don't think she was mad cuz Nouni didn't want to let her challenge, she knew she couldn't she never asked to challenge the ball, nor she asked to use Sharapova's challenge to see if the ball was good or out. What she said is why overruling the ball when Sharapova (the player where the initial call was against) could challenge it herself when her (player that the initial call would favor) had no more challenges. Overruling that ball would then make no more room to be checked. So she would have to go with the call without any possibilities of discussing the decision. BUT that doesn't make any sense since the umpire was sure it was on the line, it's his job to call it. If he would have been wrong, yes it would have been a robbed but he still would have been "right" to make that call if he thought the ball was good. Doesn't matter since he was right and the ball was indeed good.

killerqueen
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Well I think some people got Caro's mistaken tho, I don't think she was mad cuz Nouni didn't want to let her challenge, she knew she couldn't she never asked to challenge the ball, nor she asked to use Sharapova's challenge to see if the ball was good or out. What she said is why overruling the ball when Sharapova (the player where the initial call was against) could challenge it herself when her (player that the initial call would favor) had no more challenges. Overruling that ball would then make no more room to be checked. So she would have to go with the call without any possibilities of discussing the decision. BUT that doesn't make any sense since the umpire was sure it was on the line, it's his job to call it. If he would have been wrong, yes it would have been a robbed but he still would have been "right" to make that call if he thought the ball was good. Doesn't matter since he was right and the ball was indeed good.

I think you've got this spot on actually. :)

SwingVolley93
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:27 PM
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/CWTennis/Tennis%20Gifs/Calmthefuckdown.gif

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/kenity/rhonj-teresa-whatever.gif

Wiggly
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:34 PM

Nadal is much worse than Wozniacki.
Why he is described as a perfect, humble sportsman, we will never know.

StoneRose
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Why he is described as a perfect, humble sportsman, we will never know.Absolutely. Caro was wrong not to shake the umpire's hand. But this was a spur of the moment thing where she just got very annoyed by a correct call, just before the match ended.Had it happened a few games earlier she would have shaken Nouni's hand.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks, Maria, for being the better playing and taking her out today. Congrats! :bounce:

I understand why Caroline would be mad--it was MP. But the things she said after... I think I underestimated her stupidity.

Cajka
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:06 AM

Thanks, it makes a bit more sense, but she's still completely wrong as you said. It's not his job to think about those things.

Charlatan
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Caroline was wrong here.

This! It's so out of line for some people to start calling her 'classless'! it's at the MP, the heat of the moment. so it's understandable that she was pissed

pokey camp
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Ah yes, okay. Still ridiculous, just in a different way than what I originally thought. :cool:

TTomek
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:44 AM
People are surprised by Wozniacki's attitude? :unsure:
She once complained about the Hawk eye because it showed her opponent's ball was in while the mark she saw was not on the line :happy:

there are some player on the ATP tour and they are also complaining about it... can't remember who was this... hmmm... oh it was Federer and Nadal :)

Hello! :D

About that call again, Nouni could also have given Maria the match because of that overrule saying the ball was good...

but the original call was out so in such situation the point must be replayed ;)

In any means he was wrong by overruling the call. It's not because Wozniacki had no more challenges that he needed to yet give her another favor and let Sharapova possibly challenge the ball. As many poster mentioned she hits the ball in the net THEN the linesman called the ball out, Nouni overruled and told Sharapova she had to replay the point.

you are wrong here, the out call was way before the ball hit the net ;)

Caro did wrong ;)

Even Aga shook Nouni's hand in the Doha match 2011 (where Kader was wrong).

MM_1257
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:45 AM

What? :confused: He is the only one who pronounces her name correctly. In Russian it is SHARApova, not the americanized SharaPOVA...

NashaMasha
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:00 AM
What? :confused: He is the only one who pronounces her name correctly. In Russian it is SHARApova, not the americanized SharaPOVA...

yes in Russian SharApova (not ShArapova or SharapOva and not ShArApova) , but Maria calls herself when in Russia SharApova, when in USA SharapOva, so i guess both can be used

duhcity
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Love the Fed/Nadal hate in this thread - glad I'm not the only one who sees the media bias.
And when they do get bitchy, they're considered courageous for speaking out, and their noted for speaking out. When someone like Serena complains, it's because she's classless.

How Fed won the sportsmanship award so many years in a row, I don't know

Utterchaos
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Love the Fed/Nadal hate in this thread - glad I'm not the only one who sees the media bias.
And when they do get bitchy, they're considered courageous for speaking out, and their noted for speaking out. When someone like Serena complains, it's because she's classless.

By not taking fake MTO's, getting illegal coaching, wasting time between serves, not making injury excuses, never retiring from a match and having a beautiful game that people enjoy watching?

Federer should never be compared to a classless cheating moonballer like Nadal.

hilluis
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:15 AM
By not taking fake MTO's, getting illegal coaching, wasting time between serves, not making injury excuses, never retiring from a match and having a beautiful game that people enjoy watching?

Federer should never be compared to a classless cheating moonballer like Nadal.

Exactly!

Trih
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:18 AM
[QUOTE=Tomek.;21190378
but the original call was out so in such situation the point must be replayed ;)
[/QUOTE]

Yep, indeed, I think Nouni did the most appropriate thing making them replay the point (and of course giving the first serve).

Wiggly
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:35 AM

Federer isn't as classy as he is portrayed by the media but his on-court behaviour is the best in the game.

Nadal has so many cheap tricks, it's unreal.
His "injuries" are as real as Pamela Anderson's whole body.

There's a lot of sexism in tennis.
No female tennis player could get away with all the crap Nadal does.
He put a fake modest answer in Spanglish that would put Pitbull to shame and the media eat it up and he's an angel. WTF!

Sharapova shrieks and everything but she never even came close to going as low as Nadal or even Djokovic, so-called gentlemen.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Federer isn't as classy as he is portrayed by the media but his on-court behaviour is the best in the game.

He put a fake modest answer in Spanglish that would put Pitbull to shame and the media eat it up and he's an angel. WTF!

Sharapova shrieks and everything but she never even came close to going as low as Nadal or even Djokovic, so-called gentlemen.

So, as we can learn from your post Federer, Nadal and Đoković are big fat pretenders, but you are the one that knows the real story behind them! Good for you :yeah: Keep it going, the world is gonna remember your name :wavey:

Vincey!
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:17 AM
you are wrong here, the out call was way before the ball hit the net ;)

I meant the call came after Caro hit the ball not the actual net lol, which is true if you look at the replay, she hits it and right after it's called out. It was arguable if it would have bother Caro or not.

metamorpha
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Kader did most things right and helped Wozniacki at some points but well... Nobody cares if you did a good job, make one mistake and you'll be remembered forever.

bulava
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Why he is described as a perfect, humble sportsman, we will never know.
Really? :lol::tape:

I don't get this. Why would anyone compare the likes of Federer/Nadal/Djokovic vs the likes of Caro, who yet to win a singles GS title! :confused:

LoveMeansZero
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Let me start by saying that I don't blame Wozniacki for being upset. Any player would be. But she should be upset at herself for having used up her challenges, not at Nouni; because, by overruling, he was doing his job according to the rules.

As I said in a different thread:

There have been cases when players do not challenge where they should have (a recent case is Raonic vs Federer in IW).

Nouni could not refrain from overruling hoping that ShaRApova would challenge. He would have to tell her something like this: "The ball is in but I am not going to overrule in order not to upset Wozniacki. Since you have challenges left, and she doesn't, you go ahead and challenge".(insert smilies here)

Overruling was the only choice he had, to abide by the rules.

vixter
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I meant the call came after Caro hit the ball not the actual net lol, which is true if you look at the replay, she hits it and right after it's called out. It was arguable if it would have bother Caro or not.

Yeah, she had probably missed that return. But when it's arguable, the umpire always give the player (caro) the benefit of a doubt.

Bronx19
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:51 AM
It all goes sour when you aint winning..

olivero
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I agree that was pretty stupid from Caro. For once Kader was right.

LoveMeansZero
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:20 AM
It all goes sour when you aint winning..

Yes. But the fact that she was holding her position even after cooling down - at the press conference - says a lot about her character. No more Sunshine.

Pops Maellard
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Bad from Caro but I can't judge given my fave (on paper at least) Verdasco went through a phase of not shaking umpire's hands for no reason other than that he lost and was pissed off :o.

Brena
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:20 AM

:facepalm:
She gives the word ''desperation'' a whole new meaning.

Vincey!
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Yeah, she had probably missed that return. But when it's arguable, the umpire always give the player (caro) the benefit of a doubt.

Oh yes I don't think he necessarly took the wrong decision, it was a 50/50. It was his choice and on match point I think he did the right thing. Still would have been right if he would have given the point to Sharapova too hence why Sharapova came up to him and talked wiht him a little. It was "safer" to make her replay the point to avoid the drama, but Caro still made some lol

metamorpha
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:39 AM

Fed won so much of that award because he's less obnoxious than the other top stars. That's one thing fo sho.

And who said both men are courageous for speaking out? All I heard is that they were called classless or fake all the time :lol:

bandabou
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:03 AM
:lol: I thought Kadar was Caro's unofficial cheerleader?! What happened?! :lol:

gc-spurs
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:07 AM
:lol: I thought Kadar was Caro's unofficial cheerleader?! What happened?! :lol:

Rory.

LUXXXAS
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:08 AM
end of love :spit:

bandabou
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:18 AM
:lol: The more amazing part is that so many people don't know the rules. Botched call by linesmen on second serve is automatic 1st serve. I mean...:lol:

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:06 AM
All Caroline did was get upset. No swearing, screaming, attacking the umpire verbally. She just got upset and left the court. Hello?!!

We expect too much from tennis players compared to other sports people. What do you expect? Tea, cream scones and a nice chat?

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:08 AM
:facepalm:
She gives the word ''desperation'' a whole new meaning.

As does your over reaction to perfectly normal behaviour. Did Caroline shriek 'fuck' or threaten anyone? No.

Brena
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:10 AM
As does your over reaction to perfectly normal behaviour. Did Caroline shriek 'fuck' or threaten anyone? No.

You are a silly person. :)

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Yes. But the fact that she was holding her position even after cooling down - at the press conference - says a lot about her character. No more Sunshine.

She was still smarting. We all smart.

At one change over when she was behind Caroline was very sweet with one of the girls who brings towels etc.

She was just smarting about how she felt she was treated. Even Jo Durie commented on the umpire's behaviour towards Caroline when he was unnecessarily unpleasant to her.

I think you need to understand people more. You can be nice, good and still get upset.

bandabou
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
:lol: Besides...WHY would Maria challenge the call if Kader already called it in?! Ah Caroo...

C. Drone
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
^ yes, that sounds stupid. But Karolina was complaining why Nouni overruled the call because "Maria would have challenged anyway". So basically she wanted Nouni to not do his job. :silly:

Apoleb
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:10 AM
It's really not such a stupid point, though I can't agree. She's basically saying to leave it to the players' challenges on such a huge point (a second serve DF on MP) rather than overrule, especially when she's out of one.

Of course that's why you don't waste your challenges.

Daniel
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM
it was not her best behavior but she just got caught up in the heat of the moment. Not a big deal

JoPova
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Honestly I think Nouni should have given the match to Maria right away, without repeating the serve, because Wozniacki hit the return into the net and wasn't bothered by the call. Is there a rule that states how to deal in certain situations or is it a decision made by the umpire??

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:35 AM
KAMAAAAAN! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Joins Bitchmayer Club. Welcome! :rolls:

Utterchaos
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:08 PM
It's really not such a stupid point, though I can't agree. She's basically saying to leave it to the players' challenges on such a huge point (a second serve DF on MP) rather than overrule, especially when she's out of one.

Of course that's why you don't waste your challenges.

So basically the umpire shouldn't do his job? It's not his fault Sunshine has bad eyesight and wasted her challenges earlier. If it wasn't for the incompetence of the lines judges, this situation wouldn't have occured in the first place. Whether it's MP or not isn't relevant.

Novichok
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:25 PM
So basically the umpire shouldn't do his job? It's not his fault Sunshine has bad eyesight and wasted her challenges earlier. If it wasn't for the incompetence of the lines judges, this situation wouldn't have occured in the first place. Whether it's MP or not isn't relevant.

I don't think Apoleb is saying that. He's just pointing out that Caro having an issue with the situation is not completely "stupid."

I haven't read the rest of the thread but I agree that the umpire should do his job (overrule bad calls) from the first ball to the last.

CWTennis
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM
it was not her best behavior but she just got caught up in the heat of the moment. Not a big deal

It's always a big deal, if it's about Caro!

http://s017.radikal.ru/i422/1111/4d/05a8aa5210e2.gif

Apoleb
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM

I don't think Apoleb is saying that. He's just pointing out that Caro having an issue with the situation is not completely "stupid."

I haven't read the rest of the thread but I agree that the umpire should do his job (overrule bad calls) from the first ball to the last.Of course whether MP or not is relevant. Wozniacki's point is that Nouni left no chance to hawkeye, which is the most accurate thing on court, on such a huge point. If he got it wrong, hell would have frozen over and he would have screwed her big time. If he didn't make the over-rule in the first place, Maria would have used hawkeye and the right call established anyhow. She's basically criticizing his judgment call. With the closeness of the ball (on replay it wasn't that close but still), it may have been better to leave an over-rule to hawkeye.

As I said, I don't agree, but it's not a stupid point at all especially from her perspective. It's actually pretty smart, she framed it badly with her English and most people didn't get it.

Cajka
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:57 PM
So, as we can learn from your post Federer, Nadal and Đoković are big fat pretenders, but you are the one that knows the real story behind them! Good for you :yeah: Keep it going, the world is gonna remember your name :wavey:

Honestly, I love Novak, but if we talk about gamesmanship (not about off court behavior), he really takes too much time before the serve. Nadal is probably even worse.

orka_irl
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
If he didn't make the over-rule in the first place, Maria would have used hawkeye There's never any certainty that a player will use hawkeye so that would be a pathetic abdication of his responsibilities if he didn't overrule what he saw as a certain error. Some players rarely challenge and Maria might not have wanted to upset the momentum of her game with a challenge. He did his job correctly.

poulao
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:54 PM
"He's a very good judge, and he has also the right in his ruling. Caroline had nothing to come after. Ball was inside. And of course there would not get anything out Caroline's efforts. That has never happened in history that you get an extra challenge, "she says to sporten.dk.

So, Caroline has a temper :lol: might be news to some of you. ;)

SymphonyX
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:11 PM
"At least let her challenge if I don't have any challenges left."

W-H-A-T T-H-E F-C-K KAROLINA?! Why the hell would your opponent do that? On match point and where the umpire makes a judgement call that favors the opponent? Challenges are there for a reason. You lose them all, and you have no ace up your sleeve.

The umpire didn't do anything wrong. Bitter Sunshine is bitter. Hah-hah.

C. Drone
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Of course whether MP or not is relevant. Wozniacki's point is that Nouni left no chance to hawkeye, which is the most accurate thing on court, on such a huge point. If he got it wrong, hell would have frozen over and he would have screwed her big time. If he didn't make the over-rule in the first place, Maria would have used hawkeye and the right call established anyhow. She's basically criticizing his judgment call. With the closeness of the ball (on replay it wasn't that close but still), it may have been better to leave an over-rule to hawkeye.

As I said, I don't agree, but it's not a stupid point at all especially from her perspective. It's actually pretty smart, she framed it badly with her English and most people didn't get it.

but Karolina´s logic has one big flaw, what if Maria doesnt have any challenge left?
Nouni shouldnt overrule even if he believes he should? "sorry Maria, I wont overrule though I believe it was in, but you have no challenge left so you are screwed"???
Or only overrule if players have challenge basically bending the rules and his own judgement?
Neither makes sense to me.

Apoleb
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM
but Karolina´s logic has one big flaw, what if Maria doesnt have any challenge left?
Nouni shouldnt overrule even if he believes he should? "sorry Maria, I wont overrule though I believe it was in, but you have no challenge left so you are screwed"???
Or only overrule if players have challenge basically bending the rules and his own judgement?
Neither makes sense to me.

But she had, and Karo knew that and on this basis she made her argument. The strength of her argument merely depends on how convinced Nouni was with his call. Nouni's over-rule effectively ruled out any possible challenge with hawkeye which is more accurate than he is, and if the call was closer than it was she would have a pretty strong point, imo.

Patrick345
Mar 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM
But she had, and Karo knew that and on this basis she made her argument. The strength of her argument merely depends on how convinced Nouni was with his call. Nouni's over-rule effectively ruled out any possible challenge with hawkeye which is more accurate than he is, and if the call was closer than it was she would have a pretty strong point, imo.

He overruled the linesman not the hawkeye. :confused:

Besides that you are basically suggesting that Wozniacki should be rewarded for the fact that Sharapova was more thoughtful with her challenges and had some left. That also means Sharapova might not have challenged an important point earlier in the set, that she felt was very close.

This is really as simple as:

Nouni did his job.
Nouni was right. (Even if he turned out to be wrong, he still needs to make the call in the moment, if he is certain it was in)
Caro was wrong.
Caro behaved poorly.
Caro said stupid things afterwards.
Just like Serena at the USO Caro is simply wrong.

longtin23
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:01 PM
:oh:
Well, I dont see why people hate Woz for doing that, but still can be a Masha fans when she sth bitchy :oh:

shaktincredible
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM
players should be wiser to use challenge.

Serena , for example, she's rarely use the challenge to save it for the more important points.

Caroline.. uhmm.. she's already wasted her challenge, she shouldnt complain. embarassing.

goodbye caro :bigwave: eat you loss bitch

Monzanator
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Of course whether MP or not is relevant. Wozniacki's point is that Nouni left no chance to hawkeye, which is the most accurate thing on court, on such a huge point. If he got it wrong, hell would have frozen over and he would have screwed her big time. If he didn't make the over-rule in the first place, Maria would have used hawkeye and the right call established anyhow. She's basically criticizing his judgment call. With the closeness of the ball (on replay it wasn't that close but still), it may have been better to leave an over-rule to hawkeye.

Umpires are there for a reason. Tennis was doing just fine all those years when there was no hawkeye. If we should support your hawkeye above everything else theory, then umpires should be ceased from the game and everything should be decided by a hawkeye. That would be the ideal solution, eliminating human errors on scoring.

Novichok
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:01 PM
LOL @ misinterpretation of Apoleb's post. :haha:

Patrick345
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM
LOL @ misinterpretation of Apoleb's post. :haha:

Player A hits passing shot through her legs on matchpoint and falls down.
Passing shot is successful and lands a metre inside any line.
Player A doesn´t see it.
Danish line judge calls it out.
Umpire (not danish) saw it was in, but shouldn´t overrule, because Player A has challenges left.

Great logic there, captain. :happy:

Thanks for your contribution. :lol:

LoveMeansZero
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:44 PM
There's never any certainty that a player will use hawkeye so that would be a pathetic abdication of his responsibilities if he didn't overrule what he saw as a certain error. Some players rarely challenge and Maria might not have wanted to upset the momentum of her game with a challenge. He did his job correctly.

Right on! As a matter of fact, we have a perfect example of this at this year's IW tournament. Raonic was playing Federer and twice neglected to challenge and both times he'd have been right, had he challenged.
So, to all those who are claiming tthat Nouni should have left the hawk-eye decide, overruling was the only choice he had.

Novichok
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Player A doesn´t see it.
Umpire (not danish) saw it was in, but shouldn´t overrule, because Player A has challenges left.

I was just pointing out that Apoleb doesn't seem to be endorsing this argument...it's just one that Caro could've made (did make?). He was not "suggesting that Wozniacki should be rewarded for the fact that Sharapova was more thoughtful with her challenges and had some left."

And you also got his argument wrong. You're missing at least one premise (that hawkeye is more accurate than umpires are.) But thanks for your contribution. :wavey:

*Jool*
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM
that was precious !

Apoleb
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I was just pointing out that Apoleb doesn't seem to be endorsing this argument...it's just one that Caro could've made (did make?). He was not "suggesting that Wozniacki should be rewarded for the fact that Sharapova was more thoughtful with her challenges and had some left."

And you also got his argument wrong. You're missing at least one premise (that hawkeye is more accurate than umpires are.) But thanks for your contribution. :wavey:

Well, and the part that I said a close call is critical but Patrick345 decided to play a point with a ball one meter inside all lines. :lol:

Novichok
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Well, and the part that I said a close call is critical but Patrick345 decided to play a point with a ball one meter inside all lines. :lol:

So, he's missing premises and includes incorrect premises. :lol:

Great logic there. :happy:

donniedarkofan
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Everyone's an upgrade from Rory.

barmaid
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:00 PM
You rarely see any emotion from Caro on the court :Dbut suddenly realizing that she was about to lose to Maria she did "up" her boring game:mad: and sent a decent down the line screamer for a rare winner:worship:, then she was lucky with a net cord, and finally Maria's shot went out-of-bounds and she actually celebrated with a fist pump and yell,:hearts::p then came the close call so it happened in the "heat of emotion" for Caro and she just got caught up in it all extending the loss to the umpire:sad:...it's been done before...it'll be done again!:tape: Get over it!

Barmaid:wavey:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Player A doesn´t see it.

:haha: :haha:

LCS
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
LOL at people in here not knowing basic rules :lol:

Brena
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Player A doesn´t see it.

Yes, Copenhagen is my favourite tournament as well.

n1_and_uh_noone
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I can see where Wozniacki is coming from. Maybe she was thinking about it on the next serve, who knows? It was a great serve, so maybe it did not matter either way. As the rules go, he did the right thing. But when umpires are expected to make discretionary calls, it was possible for him to do things differently and everyone would have been happy. Woz would know the serve was in, Sharpie would get a 1st serve anyway, and nobody's hurt.

It could have been a thoughtful call from Nouni if he had time to think about it. Probably was sure and overruled it but the fact remains that if he were wrong (and he's made some glaring errors in the past), it would have been a critical mistake on his part.

Then again, could he just say 'Maria, please challenge, it is a close call and we'll know for sure'? It would make him look bad, and if the original call were actually correct, it would be a waste of a challenge. So under different circumstances (i.e. the ball was actually out and he wanted to call it in), expecting him to make a shrewd judgement call would backfire. Then Sharpie's fans would be outraged.

Maybe umpires should be allowed challenges as well. :lol:

Slutiana
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I would actually agree that her point was slightly less idiotic had the ball been in by the tiniest of margins and in an area that Nouni perhaps couldn't be 100% sure of. But the service line is right in front of his chair and the ball took up half the line (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gyY8Yhy2Ms#t=2m47s). He had to call it.

MM_1257
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:43 PM
yes in Russian SharApova (not ShArapova or SharapOva and not ShArApova) , but Maria calls herself when in Russia SharApova, when in USA SharapOva, so i guess both can be used

I know that. :) I just responded to the poster who said Kader was pronouncing her last name incorrect. I think Maria probably gave up really early on correcting people left and right how to pronounce it and "adopted" the easier way for the English speaking people, when communicating in English. :lol:

Marlene
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
By tennis player standards, I'd say Caro's level of English is medium-good for a non-native speaker. She not particularly good at expressing complex thoughts, though, and that has been evident on several occasions. I think this is partly a speaking-before-thinking issue in the sense that she doesn't take the time to analyse and reflect on her own thoughts and feelings before she attempts to explain herself. Therefore she ends up just blurting out these un-sorted, un-reflected thoughts and feelings at pressers, probably with the expectation that people will connect the dots and understand what she really means.

I did not agree with the judgment call by the umpire to overrule immediately instead of allowing the opponent the chance to challenge is the summary of her feelings. But when she hasn't actually realised (or internally verbalised) this herself, the whole thing gets lost in translation (or information overload). First she tries to explain why she was in disagreement (challenges left, important point), then why it was a judgment call (umpire should have considered A, B and C) and finally why she would've preferred a hawk-eye resolution (for all to see, closure, most accurate). Sometimes people do connect the dots and "get" what she's trying to convey, sometimes people don't - and instead they analyse all these explaining statements individually and conclude they make no sense.

It's also partly a language issue because it doesn't help matters when you can only manage semi-simple phrases. If you can't graduate any better than e.g. good and bad, you rarely come across as sophisticated and well-reflected. This is not just true for Caro, though, but also for the majority of non-native English speaking tennis players. When Hantuchova said she had more "respect" for Jelena than Ana, she obviously meant she feared playing Jelena more than Ana, but she grabbed an ambiguous word that was interpreted differently than she intended. (Cue lots of TF schadenfreude when she lost that match...)

Sharapova is one of the few tennis players who come across as intelligent and well-reflected via her comments at pressers - but it's also easier for her because she's de facto bilingual. Jankovic is another - her English isn't perfect but she nevertheless manages to explain herself very well with semi-simple English. Radwanska is also an above-average intelligent tennis player, but she's limited in her ways of expressing herself because she's not entirely fluent in English - and therefore she suffers from the good/bad graduation syndrome; people interpret her statements too literally and rarely considers what she probably meant... Serena; well, she's as fluent in English as anybody but she just doesn't have the verbal skills to express herself in an articulate manner... perhaps because she's a tennis player who's preoccupied with whacking balls left and right instead of improving her oratory skills!?

In this particular case, Caro got herself worked up over an at-the-time questionable call by the chair umpire. Hardly the first time nor the last time in tennis history. She was upset, understandably, and nice to see she actually cares... let's move on!?

edificio
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:20 PM
This has never happened before. :rolleyes:

Come on, people, this hardly deserved uproar.

Cajka
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:43 PM
When Hantuchova said she had more "respect" for Jelena than Ana, she obviously meant she feared playing Jelena more than Ana, but she grabbed an ambiguous word that was interpreted differently than she intended. (Cue lots of TF schadenfreude when she lost that match...)

I'm not sure if that interview was in English since it was FC tie in Slovakia. Anyway, she didn't say anything wrong, she was just misquoted. It happens too often.

MM_1257
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Marlene, excellent post! :yeah: And add to all that how sometimes they are misinterpreted, how many of the quotes are quoted wrong or summarized in the wrong way, edited, cut etc... That is how we get material here to have "fun" on GM. :)

améliemomo
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM
just watched the incident lol and Wozniacki is pathetic and silly reacting that way. She must feel embarrassed now cause Kader Nouni who is one of the best umpire was right.

she was desperatly praying for sharapova choking again and finally reach another finale since her golden slam : New Heaven 2011!:eek:

no seriously she can NOT be serious!:lol:

CWTennis
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:54 AM
just watched the incident lol and Wozniacki is pathetic and silly reacting that way. She must feel embarrassed now cause Kader Nouni who is one of the best umpire was right.

she was desperatly praying for sharapova choking again and finally reach another finale since her golden slam : New Heaven 2011!:eek:

if someone is pathetic it's you, with your hatred! :rolleyes:

traralgon
Mar 31st, 2012, 09:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yy9UeGyBQA

Matt01
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:26 AM
I've criticised Serena, Pova and other players for their poor behaviours on court and now I have to do the same.

Caro :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Kader did his job, and he did it well. :yeah:

Bosco123
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:20 PM
He overruled the linesman not the hawkeye. :confused:

Besides that you are basically suggesting that Wozniacki should be rewarded for the fact that Sharapova was more thoughtful with her challenges and had some left. That also means Sharapova might not have challenged an important point earlier in the set, that she felt was very close.

This is really as simple as:

Nouni did his job.
Nouni was right. (Even if he turned out to be wrong, he still needs to make the call in the moment, if he is certain it was in)
Caro was wrong.
Caro behaved poorly.
Caro said stupid things afterwards.
Just like Serena at the USO Caro is simply wrong.

Hi Patrick, if Caro new about Nouni's wrong overrule in the Isner Nalbandian's 2'nd round match in Australia this year on MP up for Nalbandian, you cannot blame her because Kader made their a huge mistake that cost McDonald's his match, so she tried to avoid that poor situation.

So no sportsmanship problem from Caro point of view at all.

tenn_ace
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:05 PM
he is lucky she did not do what she did in US Open Jr 2006....

LoveMeansZero
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:17 PM

No she doesn't. She was still defending her point at the press conference.:facepalm:

Marlene
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure if that interview was in English since it was FC tie in Slovakia. Anyway, she didn't say anything wrong, she was just misquoted. It happens too often.

Ah well, in that case it was a slightly different kind of lost-in-translation issue; not her fault but the translators. It happens all the time, though, and I'm surprised so many people don't realise this.

Marlene, excellent post! :yeah: And add to all that how sometimes they are misinterpreted, how many of the quotes are quoted wrong or summarized in the wrong way, edited, cut etc... That is how we get material here to have "fun" on GM. :)

Thank you. Yes, the truth is usually not as much fun as the distorted version ;-)