PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Seles in Bartoli

alfajeffster
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I actually learned how to hit 2-handed on both sides from watching Monica Seles years ago, and it was really fun. I couldn't play that style because I wasn't quick about the baseline, but the angles and two-handed power was undeniable. It's always interesting for me to see Marian Bartoli play, and particularly as well as she did the other night driving those aggressive power angles. Other than number of major titles, anyone see differences between hers and Monica's trademark groundstrokes?

gabybackhand
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Well, I can see some of Seles in Marion, as Monica-clon instead of Chrissie-clon :)
But no so match as Monicas consistent accuracy with power is yet unmatched.
It's curious you mentioned about you playing a little like that because I used to do that myself: I normally play one-handed on both sides, top spin and slice backhand included, but I sometimes like to hit two-handed on both sides for a while and just for fun, not in a match I mean, and it's so entertaining because you can have a clue about why Monica played like that as the angles come much easier and the ball's speed greatly increases, of course you need to be quite quicker and accurate in the shot-making. It's also fun to me because I normally play a totally different style, classical Argentine la Sabatini mixing up a lot and using topspin and slice and drop-shots and volleys, but playing two-handed you can't afford to be involved too long in points, you have to take chances and go for the opener or winner as soon as possible!

alfajeffster
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Well, I can see some of Seles in Marion, as Monica-clon instead of Chrissie-clon :)
But no so match as Monicas consistent accuracy with power is yet unmatched.
It's curious you mentioned about you playing a little like that because I used to do that myself: I normally play one-handed on both sides, top spin and slice backhand included, but I sometimes like to hit two-handed on both sides for a while and just for fun, not in a match I mean, and it's so entertaining because you can have a clue about why Monica played like that as the angles come much easier and the ball's speed greatly increases, of course you need to be quite quicker and accurate in the shot-making. It's also fun to me because I normally play a totally different style, classical Argentine la Sabatini mixing up a lot and using topspin and slice and drop-shots and volleys, but playing two-handed you can't afford to be involved too long in points, you have to take chances and go for the opener or winner as soon as possible!

I did play a couple of people playing that way, and did very well against 2 different opponents who used to give me trouble. One guy in particular had figured out my normal one-handed game and did exactly what he needed to do to beat me, an did. Kind of like King vs. Navratilova on a much smaller level. The thing that impressed me was how I could hit last-second angles (if I got to the ball) either direction with flat, short angles that were impossible to read, and excellent on passing shots. This was the key to the Seles game- this disguise. Her footwork was so much better than Bartoli's, and she didn't have to face power mongers like we have today. It would be interesting if Marian got herself in ultimate shape, and improved her footwork and stamina a bit- AND GOT RID OF ALL THE HITCHES IN THAT SERVE!

nat75
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:14 AM
I agree that Bartoli has shades of Monica (she's very impatient too) but not her consistency.
BTW, we should make a thread of videos fo us playing. That would be fun. :p

gabybackhand
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Yeah, great idea!

Warriorroger
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:16 PM
I agree that Bartoli has shades of Monica (she's very impatient too) but not her consistency.
BTW, we should make a thread of videos fo us playing. That would be fun. :p

Yeah that would be fun, then you would see a male with the Steffi Graf forehand and her black racket. To the post; I see the obvious similarities, but IMO she lacks the anticipation Seles had and which made her so dangerous, Marion also doesn't open up the court like Seles did with her angles, but that's maybe because Monica was lefthanded.

LightWarrior
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:31 PM
I don't know how to describe it they're very different apart from the 2 handed both sides. Marion hits flatter and not as fast, more predictable shots, a lot slower...different league. If anything (and sadly) post-stabbing Monica is more simillar to Marion.

Sam L
Apr 1st, 2012, 01:57 PM
I don't really agree. IMO what made Monica unique wasn't just the double handed on both wings, it's the angles and power and the taking of the ball so early. I see more of Monica in Serena Williams in early 2000s than Bartoli.

southpawdragon
Apr 8th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Seles was a pioneer in power tennis

mistymore
Apr 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Bartoli is not worthy to tie Seles's shoelaces and I am not even a Seles fan. Bartoli is an overachiever to even do what she has. She really isnt very talented at all. One year I saw her playing Sania Mirza live at the U.S Open and she had 4 winners to 45 for Mirza. This for a so called power baseliner too.

Warriorroger
Apr 14th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Bartoli is not worthy to tie Seles's shoelaces and I am not even a Seles fan. Bartoli is an overachiever to even do what she has. She really isnt very talented at all. One year I saw her playing Sania Mirza live at the U.S Open and she had 4 winners to 45 for Mirza. This for a so called power baseliner too.

It's okay to differ, but why so harsh on Bartoli. She is at least trying to do the best with was she has. You don't beat the current number one for nothing, this current number one is very strong and mentally showing more than glimpes of becoming mentally very strong. Bartoli doesn't have the angles Seles created, but she was inspired to be a player like Seles, IMO Seles herself would be honoured to have someone look up to her.

mistymore
Apr 14th, 2012, 06:22 PM
It's okay to differ, but why so harsh on Bartoli. She is at least trying to do the best with was she has. You don't beat the current number one for nothing, this current number one is very strong and mentally showing more than glimpes of becoming mentally very strong. Bartoli doesn't have the angles Seles created, but she was inspired to be a player like Seles, IMO Seles herself would be honoured to have someone look up to her.

That is what I said, and I am actually complimenting her. She isnt that talented a player, and she is getting the most out of herself since she is clearly overachieving to be getting the results she is. When Tracy Austin first saw her at the U.S Open she said her potential was top 50, maybe top 30 max. No chance of top 20 or top 10. I am sure that is what most thought when they first saw her too.

gabybackhand
Apr 14th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I can see your point and I respect it, but you didn't choose the best support opinion-wise in bringing Austin. I mean, this is the same person who, when she first played Steffi Graf, made little thing of her and said there were hundreds like Graf back home in America. Not the best insight about potential seemingly :lol: