PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is Mariana Alves doing in the Azarenka box ?

LightWarrior
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Has she gone nuts ? Maybe Serena should see this.

C. Drone
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:37 AM
:weirdo:

she is supervisor.
Sumyk acting like an idiot, dropping mic and speaking that noone else can hear only Azarenka. Which is "against the rules" of on court coaching. Alves was telling him "no more" this childish play, which is right.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:40 AM
:haha:

Sammo
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:55 AM

she is supervisor.
Sumyk acting like an idiot, dropping mic and speaking that noone else can hear only Azarenka. Which is "against the rules" of on court coaching. Alves was telling him "no more" this childish play, which is right.

Oh, so that's why she was saying no with her head all the time.

For a second there I thought that she was gonna do a 360 with it

duhcity
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I thought the supervisor there was shaking her head at the Chair Umpire, and saying "No More" as if no more coaching for Vika for the match.
And ESPN was saying that's Sumyk's second offense. Should probably ban him on court for a tournament.

The Kaz
Mar 29th, 2012, 01:04 AM
The title of this thread can be SO misconstrued :hysteric:

Jane Lane
Mar 29th, 2012, 01:14 AM
It's so weird because before this tournament Vika never called him out. Ever.

But, I will concede, you know you've fucked up royally when Alves is doing her job right.

But yeah, as others have said, she's a supervisor now, only umpires when needed (ie, the BNPlague) for the most part.

RyanGuy
Mar 29th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Yeah I thought that was strange

edificio
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I thought the supervisor there was shaking her head at the Chair Umpire, and saying "No More" as if no more coaching for Vika for the match.
And ESPN was saying that's Sumyk's second offense. Should probably ban him on court for a tournament.

Second offense this week. He's done it in the past. He's too much. :rolleyes:

TTomek
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:47 AM
when did this happen, at what score?

Patrick345
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:00 AM
So she warned Sumyk, because he wouldnŽt allow the audience to listen to his coaching for the 2nd time in 15 months? Wow I wish the supervisor/umpires would be this strict in the enforcement of their other rules. :lol:

Sp!ffy
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:07 AM
The title of this thread can be SO miscontruded :hysteric:

Is that supposed to be a word? :weirdo:

edificio
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:19 AM
So she warned Sumyk, because he wouldnŽt allow the audience to listen to his coaching for the 2nd time in 15 months? Wow I wish the supervisor/umpires would be this strict in the enforcement of their other rules. :lol:

More like second time in a week.

Patrick345
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Both! I just wanted to make a point. The players break so many rules every day, and Sumyk gets a public warning for the 2nd on-court coaching in 15 months.

Add in the fact that many coaches speak to their players in their native tongue, which a little minority of the audience and opposing players can atually understand. So why is an english speaking coach/player-combination forced to reveal their tactics, while Wozniacki can receive advice in Polish and Petra can receive advice in Czech? A professional coach would easily review the tape of what Sumyk said to Azarenka and possibly use it against her in the future. For other players youŽd need to hire a translator. Is that fair?

The Kaz
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Is that supposed to be a word? :weirdo:

I meant to say "misconstrued" :lol:

ranfurly
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Alves in Azarenka's Box,

Alves is kinky!

chingching
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Both! I just wanted to make a point. The players break so many rules every day, and Sumyk gets a public warning for the 2nd on-court coaching in 15 months.

Add in the fact that many coaches speak to their players in their native tongue, which a little minority of the audience and opposing players can atually understand. So why is an english speaking coach/player-combination forced to reveal their tactics, while Wozniacki can receive advice in Polish and Petra can receive advice in Czech? A professional coach would easily review the tape of what Sumyk said to Azarenka and possibly use it against her in the future. For other players youŽd need to hire a translator. Is that fair?

Agreed. or they could publically release a dialogue of what was said
They should ban on court coaching. if they did, little miss sunshine wouldnt win any tournaments

pwayne
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM

Let's get more detailed - second match in a row.

LightWarrior
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM

she is supervisor.

Oh ok my mistake ! I wasn't aware that she was supervisor and that Sumyk did that. Sumyk is a weirdo though, just like Walter Bartoli is.
My title thread is still hilarious though. :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM

totally agree with you on that one

Mynarco
Mar 29th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hang on - is it NOT allowed to have the coach's mike taken off when doing OCC? That's ridiculous :o

Serenus Christ
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Hang on - is it NOT allowed to have the coach's mike taken off when doing OCC? That's ridiculous :o

Yeah I think it's a STUPID rule.
What a coach says between his/her player is private.

Stonerpova
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:33 PM
It's so weird because before this tournament Vika never called him out. Ever.

But, I will concede, you know you've fucked up royally when Alves is doing her job right.

But yeah, as others have said, she's a supervisor now, only umpires when needed (ie, the BNPlague) for the most part.

I disagree. Other than that one incident with Serena in 04 Alves is a very good umpire. Plus it's been documented that the 2004 USO was understaffed and Alves was umpiring her fourth match that day which his usually not done.

Anyways, tons of players abuse the coaching rule. Sumyk was just really obvious about it, and by covering up his mic during on-court coaching he's just attracting more attention to himself.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
perhaps the people who dont come and speak in English come prepared with a projector and explain to the crowd what was just said, with diagrams and such.

Jane Lane
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I disagree. Other than that one incident with Serena in 04 Alves is a very good umpire. Plus it's been documented that the 2004 USO was understaffed and Alves was umpiring her fourth match that day which his usually not done.

Anyways, tons of players abuse the coaching rule. Sumyk was just really obvious about it, and by covering up his mic during on-court coaching he's just attracting more attention to himself.

I was being facetious :lol: I actually have a lot of respect for her.

AlwaysGraf
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
On court coaching should Be banned completely. The player should figure it out themselves- it's what champions are made of- if you need help to do this you aren't champion material!! It was never allowed in the past and should not be allowed now!!

vixter
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM

But the main idea behind OCC is to bring more entertainment to the TV-viewers. Therefore the coach must have a microphone! Mariana Alves was right to tell him that he can't do this again!

The advice from the coach is only relevant at the current situation for the match in hand, so I really doubt the coaches will view these tapes in retrospect just to pick up the coaching advice. I don't think there's any relevant information to gather from that.

Break My Rapture
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:53 PM

You just exposed the WTA rules for the shit they are. :worship:

John.
Mar 29th, 2012, 02:56 PM
It's the most pointless excercise on the WTA. They should just scrap it. Half the time they speak in native tongue and you can't understand them, or the network cuts to an ad break, so you don't see it anyways. It adds no entertainment value whatsoever

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Nah, it was Lana del Rey...