PDA

View Full Version : Has new era of tennis come as "Polish pushers" beat Williams sisters?

Caipirinha Guy
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/264iec7.gif

Question as above.

Stonerpova
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Not until they're beating the sisters at the majors.

nfl46
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Oh please, the new generation is still horrible! They can't even win Grand Slams, aside from Vika...all the rest were the old generation.

Dodoboy.
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Well yes, sort of.

Betten
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:42 PM
It's called aging.

NashaMasha
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Sisters who i am afraid will not finish 1km running distance reached QF ..... that is the level of tennis now

Williams physycal shape is awful

It's called aging.

it is called not training , for Venus it is understandable

StoneRose
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Yes i think so. Maybe if Serena is going to work very hard on her game she can snatch one or 2 majors but will she do that? Kim and Venus, don't see it happening anymore. Li is the last of the old guard to win a major but she's been out of form now for so long, time running out here as well. Since USO the new generation has already been dominating btw.

Sombrerero loco
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM
aga was so clever today really :drool:

Miracle Worker
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Yes, the new era finally came.

Polish Pusher (it's quote from OP) beat old, tired, injured, sick and half-retired for 4 years Venus Williams. Pusher from Denmark beat old, unmotivated and uninterested Serena Williams ("I played on 20%").

Yes, the new era finally has come.

Pie800
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Hmm.. I wouldn't count Serena and Kim out just yet. Especially when it counts. They'll step it up at Wimbledon, the Olympics, USO.

saul1333
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Go Ula :sobbing:

Break My Rapture
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Just an accident.

Martian KC
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:50 PM
They should retire.

Miracle Worker
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM
They should retire.

Who? Aga and Caroline? They're still young...

Direwolf
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM
The PoPu are the best.
They will dominate the Quarters and will bagelled in the next round.

starin
if this is the beginning of a new era it was the least inspiring take over from an old guard ever.

darrinbaker00
Yes, the new era finally came.

Polish Pusher (it's quote from OP) beat old, tired, injured, sick and half-retired for 4 years Venus Williams. Pusher from Denmark beat old, unmotivated and uninterested Serena Williams ("I played on 20%").

Yes, the new era finally has come.

Unless you're a gymnast or a high school student, 30 (Serena) and 31 (Venus) are not old.

NA-GOAT
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM
hopefully not :help:

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hmm.. I wouldn't count Serena and Kim out just yet. Especially when it counts. They'll step it up at Wimbledon, the Olympics, USO.

Sorry, but I would count Kim out.

C. Drone
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Unless you're a gymnast or a high school student, 30 (Serena) and 31 (Venus) are not old.

15 years of pro career is definitely long.

Miracle Worker
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Of course they're not old. But still it's tennis and the age is important somehow. Of course for me Venus and Serena are still the better than almost everyone in WTA ;)

darrinbaker00
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM
15 years of pro career is definitely long.

Of course they're not old. But still it's tennis and the age is important somehow. Of course for me Venus and Serena are still the better than almost everyone in WTA ;)

Like Martina Navratilova once said, the ball doesn't know how old you are. It's about what physical condition you're in and how well you're striking the ball, not the date on your birth certificate.

JustPetko
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Please, don't call Wozniacki a Pole. She never was a Pole.

starin
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Honestly if the final four are going to be consistently composed of Sharapova/Azarenka/Radwanksa/Wozniacki :help:
I won't watch. erratic shadow of herself/semi-powerful slow "power" player/pusher/pusher. no m'am.

Direwolf
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Like Martina Navratilova once said, the ball doesn't know how old you are. It's about what physical condition you're in and how well you're striking the ball, not the date on your birth certificate.

Wasn't she her physical peak when she came back. Couldn't even beat an anorexic on grass.

C. Drone
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:11 PM

there are some wisdom in her words, but Navs was dominating game in a different age. In the past decade tennis was more physical than ever.

fouc
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
there are some wisdom in her words, but Navs was dominating game in a different age. In the past decade tennis was more physical than ever.

And Williams are among the most physical players ever, Agnieszka not.
Stupid thread anyway.

Linguae^
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Stop trolling, stop trooooollin'!

C. W. Fields
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Oh please, the new generation is still horrible! They can't even win Grand Slams, aside from Vika...all the rest were the old generation.

Kvitova?

nfl46
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Kvitova?

Ohh yeahh, forgot about her. lol. She's been so bad lately that it slipped my mind.

Irute
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I don't know their credit score, but they have been definitely credible for a while already :shrug:

Alejandrawrrr
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM
No. Wozniacki defeated a nearly retired, below par Serena. Thats the only newsworthy thing that's happened regarding the sisters. Venus extended her 15 minutes of Miami fame, defeating the odds by winning consecutive matches, defeating Petra, winning down a MP, and defeating Ana. She was never going to make the finals, so it was only a matter of whether Aga or Vika would be the one to routine her.

Do you exist solely to nitpick and cause disagreements on TF? 30 is literally ancient for a professional tennis player with hopes of winning anything significant. Especially when said professionals have had nagging injuries since their early twenties. Martina is one woman who has regularly played on tour and managed big success after 30. Citing her, when she's clearly unusual in that regard does nothing to prove your case.

flareon
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I hope not, but I fear it is.

Sammo
Mar 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I thought Caro was Danish :oh:

onebridgecafe
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Simply no. Serena and Venus are no where near at their best any more. Beating them now is not even an accident. I'm not a fan of Williams but sad to see they start facing embarrassing losses towards retirement.

Having said that, the next leaders are already set. They are not passive pushers like Woz and Rad. Glad Azarenka and Kvitova won a slam first.

Charlatan
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM
so many trolling threads since after last night

Bronx19
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:13 PM
WTA is a sink hole right now bar Vika.

winone23
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:24 PM
don't get trigger happy so soon..........

aguy9797
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:53 PM
The change is inevitable.

Serena and Venus will always remain one of the best in history.

At their age they are still capable to show some moments of brilliance, maybe even win an occasional slam.

I am afraid, more and more often we will witness those unexpected, uncomfortable failures.

Someone has to fill those shoes. Vika has already stepped in.

Maybe it is a time for the Polish Pushers to show their full potential too.

SM
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Serena only cares about the majors.

They're both lacking matches atm.

Viennalover
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I have to admit that the sister's tennis seemed very rough.
Of course they are far from best condition and will be polished until London OG
but the question is their motivation after OG...

I think gradually the new era is coming.
Although I do hate pusher tennis proclaimed as consistence but they do look solid than rough bashing sisters yesterday.
I'll expect new strong wave coming, maybe improved Petra or someone else... :angel:

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I won't consider any new era of pusherdom unless those pushers win a slam (let alone make a semi :oh:)

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I think this will be a very good clay season. Caro looks back in form. Vika is having a great start to 2012. Aga playing very consistently. Both Williams sisters are back.
Petra will play better in Europe.

We're heading into a good era, and both Caro and Aga will have their share of success, but so will a lot of other players
Its going to be a great spring & summer, with an Olympics!

Jizynovic
Mar 29th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I thought Caro was Danish :oh:
yeah, she is
but if I not mistaken both her parents are Poles who moved to Denmark

Viennalover
Mar 29th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I won't consider any new era of pusherdom unless those pushers win a slam (let alone make a semi :oh:)

Actually, I won't consider any new era of pusherdom even those pushers win a slam.
Because even if they do, it's an accident and not a permanent thing.

Pushers won't be Queen of tennis figure,
when they are winning too much, it means absence of Almighty player.
Even Azarenka is considered too defensive, not having initiative on rallies.
Look what happened in Miami, crowds were happy to see Azarenka losing.

If WTA has only brainless ball basher & pushers,
and playing consistence gets too many credits, it's the end of WTA. :rolleyes:

jrollaneres25
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I can't even vote because there isn't an option that would allow me to tell the truth about these two matches...especially Venus'. I mean, how can the OP ignore the fact that a Venus Williams, 15% at most still managed to get 5 games off of a completely healthy Radwanska?

jrollaneres25
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM

This!

KBlade
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Venus is coming up to 32, so it's understandable. But even still, I feel like had she not probably been exhausted from three 3-set matches in a three day time period, I think she would have had a good chance to oust Radwanska.

However, I really don't think Serena has any excuse to be losing these types of matches. It makes me wonder whether she is still back at 100% physically after the ankle fiasco. I really hope for her sake she isn't, because I think she still has a lot to work on in the movement department. The last time she had these sort of physical issues and lackluster movement was in 2007, so I hope that she can show the same type of determination she did back then and get herself back into great condition to avoid these random losses.

bandabou
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
For the sisters, it's another reality..time isn't kind for ANYbody.

poulao
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Some of you commenting here are living in some kind of fantasy world IMO. At the moment Venus is nowhere near beating Aga. We might feel sorry for her, but that's just the way it is. Serena, she is just not playing well enough to beat Caroline. Is Serena going to play better later this summer? Probably yes. But at the moment, the sisters just arn't good enough.

JRena
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I fear for the future of the WTA.

NeKo
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Why is Radwanska compared to Hingis? This is blasphemy ! She has an awful style, for me it's even more irritating watching her instead of Wozniacki. It's like a pusher v2.

Skye34
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Both Williams sisters should call it quits. When you are in bad physical shape, aging, and not good enough to compete with the new generation you should retire. Who wants to see the old guard getting blasted by much younger players? It tarnishes their legacy to an extent as well.

Here is the list of current players who Williams sisters can't beat:

Azarenka, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Bartoli, McHale, Kerber, Georges, Cibulkova, Makarova and possibly Wickmayer

Mr.Sharapova
Mar 29th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Well both Ivanovic and Jankovic beat both the Williams Sisters at 2008 AO which is a slam :oh:, and at that time everyone was saying the era of the Serbs came and look where are they now :oh:.

miffedmax
Mar 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM
This changing of the guard has been going on for some time now. It's not like there's been a sudden coup. But Henin, Davenport, Hingis, Schnyder, Demented are gone, the WS and Kimmie are part-time players, the top spot has been up for grabs since 2008, no multiple slam winners in ages. The events in Miami are part of a trend, not a break with the recent past.

The story continues to be not the decline of the previous generation, but the inability of Generation Suck to produce consistent winners. This year's European swing will be interesting if Vika, Petra or Masha the Greater can step up and really take control, or at least establish a working rivalry.

Markus
Mar 29th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Here is the list of current players who Williams sisters can't beat:
Azarenka, Wozniacki, Radwanska, Bartoli, McHale, Kerber, Georges, Cibulkova, Makarova and possibly Wickmayer
:haha:
sorry I couldn't resist

Sonja1989
Mar 29th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Their game is good enough while Williams sister's form broken after injuries, they need lot of matches but I think (if more injuries will avoid them) can be on the top again. That would be hard enough for the rest, not only for "Polish pushers"

Skye34
Mar 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM
:haha:
sorry I couldn't resist

Are you kidding me? McHale would destroy the sisters. Get over it.