PDA

View Full Version : When will it end? Clijsters to miss 4 weeks with hip injury

tennisfan5
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ap-clijstersinjured

BRUSSELS (AP)—Kim Clijsters has a torn hip muscle and will have to recover for four weeks before making a return in Madrid in May.

A statement from her management company on Wednesday said that she had been troubled with hip pains during the Sony Ericsson Open in Key Biscayne, Florida, over the weekend, where she lost to Belgian compatriot Yanina Wickmayer in straight sets.

Tests “have shown the presence of a small torn muscle” in her right hip, the statement said. She hopes to be back for the Madrid Open, which opens May 5.

Clijsters has said she plans to retire after the summer, hoping to highlight her year with a good showing at the London Olympics.

--Maybe the softer clay will help her avoid injury? but the rallies are even longer

Vuvurenka
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Missing tournaments due to injury is becoming almost the norm now for Kim.

One can only hope she will be fit enough to do well in Wimbledon and the Olympics.

n1_and_uh_noone
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:18 PM
:help:

Quite surprising she continues to get so many injuries even without playing. Maybe the on-again, off-again nature of juggling parenthood and pro tennis is taking its toll.

Shivank17
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:21 PM
It will end as soon as Roland Garros does. :oh:

thrust
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:23 PM
She is either lying about the injury or is in denial that she should retire, in order to preserve her body. Whatever, I wish her well.

Petkorazzi
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Another year - same story, just with a different excuse this time. :facepalm:

Pump-it-UP
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:50 PM
She was never gonna show up for the clay warmups anyway. Hopefully she'll be fine for the French.

MarkNL
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Kim :help:

Just retire, I mean you hardly play any tournaments as your whole year consists of injuries... :unsure:

Mikey.
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM
ffs :facepalm: Another injury?!

Johnbert
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM
is anybody out there who really believe this "hip injury"?!? :help:

last year it was her nephew, this year a "hip injury" :o

dsanders06
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Quite surprising she continues to get so many injuries even without playing. Maybe the on-again, off-again nature of juggling parenthood and pro tennis is taking its toll.

I don't think it's surprising. It's actually natural if your body is so unused to playing matches, that you keep picking up injuries on the rare occasions that you do play, because it's such a sudden shock to the system and your body doesn't have much resilience. And no matter how much offcourt training she does, you can never simulate the tension that your body is going through in a proper match.

Serena found this out in that whole 2004-07 period, when she was playing really infrequently and getting minor injuries pretty much everytime she played....then as soon as she started playing a fairly regular schedule from 2008 onwards, counter-intuitively the more she played the less she was injured. And in fact, Kim herself, the one period of her comeback where she was actually playing a pretty full schedule, between June 2010 and March 2011, that whole period she didn't get a single major injury.... then she got that freak injury from dancing at a wedding :lol: just before last year's claycourt season, but since then she's got it into her head that the less she plays the less likely she is to get injured, when the opposite is true. Skipping Indian Wells in order to have a two-month break after the AO, having been off the tour for the entire 6 months before that, was always going to be insane. Hopefully when this latest injury heals, she realises she's just going to have to put her nose to the grindstone and start playing most of the big tournaments (obviously there's a balance to be struck, and anything close to a Wozniacki-like schedule would be insane - but, call me biased, but I would say Maria's approach to scheduling is pretty much the perfect one for a top player, playing all the major warm-ups for Slams and playing just about regularly enough that her body doesn't fall out of the match-playing routine).

mauresmofan
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I don't think she's lying about this injury if you watched her match against Yanina she had trouble when pushed out wide and normally she has incredible ability to push off and get back into a rally from there

Super Dave
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Jada's 4 now; she need a sibling. Get to work, Brian http://www.forum.fishgame.com/images/smilies/grandpa.gif

faboozadoo15
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM
She is either lying about the injury or is in denial that she should retire, in order to preserve her body. Whatever, I wish her well.

Something like this.

She keeps getting injured after hardly playing at all.

Queenpova
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Go away and retire, fiona

Dan_Doe
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Expected. I'm awaiting the time she'll play 3 back to back tourneys. Now, that would be news.

Stonerpova
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:23 PM
NID. The less likely you play the more likely you are to get injured when you do. It's not rocket science.

pedropt
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:23 PM
WTF are some of you talking about? :weirdo:

Kim is not missing a single tournament, she was only supposed to play Rome and Madrid anyway.

Comebacksova
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM
How old is she, 98 y/o? :o :facepalm:

Sombrerero loco
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM
please play madrid this year, she was not here last 2 years...

Uranus
Mar 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM
We can consider Kim a retired player who might be making a 1 or 2-tournament comeback in a few months just to add to its prestige.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
is anybody out there who really believe this "hip injury"?!? :help:

last year it was her nephew, this year a "hip injury" :o

Yeah, she is lying in order to....whatever...she is lyyiiiiiing!!! :rolleyes:

Valanga
Mar 28th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Try not to lose to players the likes of Rus or Yakimova in Slams, please.

Excelscior
Mar 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I guess she's holding on, till after she flames out at the Olympics; then "Sayonara (goodbye)". :confused: :eek: :confused:

SHILIN-GOAT
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:00 PM
at least she said she is retiring at the end of the summer so she does not need to make an excuse to miss Tokyo / Beijing :rolleyes:

missvarsha
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:25 PM
It's a divine requirement that all Holy Saints suffer for our sins...why is this a surprise ?

BluSthil
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
What a basketcase Clijsters is ! Do yourself a favor and exit the game. You've been out for how long now and still struggling with injury ? The writings on the wall...

Si_Hi
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM
she just doesn't want to play.

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Clijsters has managed her career so poorly. It's both sad and annoying really. How many advisers/caches/trainers does she pay for? And none can get her to manage her career properly!

fedhingis67
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I can't deal with this. Kim always injured and Serena playing like an amateur. Sigh... and I was hoping this year would be a big improvement from 2011, but it's not looking good.

Chaosm21
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Why do some people think she is faking the injury?
Why should she do that?

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Kimmy :hug:

Nicolás89
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:57 PM

Quite surprising she continues to get so many injuries even without playing.

OMG yes, who the f does she think is kidding with this? :lol:

~{X}~
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I don't know if she'll be back in Madrid... maybe Rome... hopefully she doesn't just go into RG again.

C. Drone
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Why should she do that?

because she is pure evil. Only reason of her existence is to destroy WTA, Earth and the whole friggin universe. Simple is that.

Belmont Lad
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Kimmie :sobbing:

Utterchaos
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Why should she do that?

She doesn't want to play in clay warm up tournaments, that's why.

Slampova
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Isn't she always 'injured' during the clay season :unsure:

Anyways, hope she gets well soon :) It's her last year on the tour so I want to see her fit and healthy winning a few titles before she calls it quits :)

timafi
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:16 AM
omg :help: :hug:

Steven.
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:54 AM
If you're planning on retiring, you might as well be retired. Kim clearly has her priorities set.

fifiricci
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Clijsters has managed her career so poorly. It's both sad and annoying really. How many advisers/caches/trainers does she pay for? And none can get her to manage her career properly!
Harsh but probably true! It does make you wonder about the merits of the large support teams and expensive doctors when this is the outcome!!
If I were Kim I'd stop now and get on with expanding her family, which she naturally will want.