PDA

View Full Version : Quickest descent from #1 rank?

MakarovaFan
Mar 28th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I just noticed that in the span of not even 3 months Wozniacki has dropped from No.1 down to No.6 in the rankings, so that has me wondering what some of the "quicker" drops have been...

I know when Safina relinquished No.1 to Serena she had very little points to defend therefore she didnt drop too far for a while, and when Jankovic dropped it she was still quite consistent so as a result she stuck around #3/4 for a bit. Ana had a gradual drop from No.1 and didn't begin her freefall until she was out of top 10. The No.1s before those were all very consistent so i IMAGINE that even when they did drop the top spot, they weren't headed anywhere far for a while.

Cp6uja
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Justine Henin in 2008 - just one week after she lose #1 ranking she is already unranked :eek:

delicatecutter
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Justine Henin in 2008 - just one week after she lose #1 ranking she is already unranked :eek:

You're such a mess. :haha:

Stonerpova
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Safina was quick as well. She hung on to #1 for a while, but once she lost it she really lost it. Mostly due to injury, but still.

MakarovaFan
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Safina was quick as well. She hung on to #1 for a while, but once she lost it she really lost it. Mostly due to injury, but still.
Well to be honest, she barely had a career after dropping the No/1 rank.... she literally hasnt had 2 full seasons worth of tennis since.

But OT, yes Safina fell rapidly buttttt she stayed within the top 2-4 for a while before her plummet began; Caroline dropped to No.6 within 2 months whereas Safina dropped No.1 in September but stayed within top 4 until May of the next year.

faboozadoo15
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:17 AM
What about Ana?

MakarovaFan
Mar 28th, 2012, 12:41 PM
^I checked and though Ana dropped to #5 within 2 months, she remained Top 5 until February of the next year.

Irute
Mar 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I don't think you can look at it like that. Caro hang at #1 for a very long time not playing her best and not winning tournaments. Her drop from #1 came at a time when she hit time frame where most of her points were accumulated. What I am trying to say is that her descent started way before she lost #1 position and she still hang at #1 despite of it.

Andrew..
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Davenport went from being ranked #1 at the end of 2005 to #25 at the end of 2006. She only played in 8 events in 2006 because of injury/pregnancy, but it's still quite a drop.

killerqueen
Mar 28th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I know it's not quite the same thing, but the other day, I was wondering about Amelie Mauresmo, and what happened to her in 2007? She started the year at #3 having narrowly missed out on YE#1, but by the end of it had plummeted to 18.

How did she decline so quickly from winning slams and being #1 in 2006, to being close to outside of the Top 20 a year later? Did her game fall apart, or did her age start to catch up with her?

missvarsha
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I imagine by reaching the final here, Wozniacki will rise to #5 again ? She isn't defending her Charleston points, but after that it's an opportunity to rack up a lot of points, as the summer was where Woz first hit her slump.
Radwanska, Azarenka, and Sharapova have already picked up a load of points this year, but Ludmilla is in free fall, so it's entirely possible that Wozniacki will be up to #4 by the time Wimbledon rolls around...

I would imagine this situation is unprecedented, since for the longest time, the top 3-4 players (especially in WTA) were so far ahead of everyone else.
This January where 6 possible women could have taken #1 at the Australian was something that had never happened before, which just meant that #1-6 were all very very close. Wozniaki obviously hit her worst possible scenario where she went to the bottom of that heap, but other than Azarenka (who has distanced herself), 2-6 are all very close still.

Andrew..
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I know it's not quite the same thing, but the other day, I was wondering about Amelie Mauresmo, and what happened to her in 2007? She started the year at #3 having narrowly missed out on YE#1, but by the end of it had plummeted to 18.

How did she decline so quickly from winning slams and being #1 in 2006, to being close to outside of the Top 20 a year later? Did her game fall apart, or did her age start to catch up with her?
I think Mauresmo lost a lot of motivation after 2006. She finally won her slams and conquered her demons. She really didn't handle defending those slams very well, but the bottom line was that there just really wasn't anything left for her to prove. Also, in the last couple of years I think injuries became more of a factor.

MakarovaFan
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I don't think you can look at it like that. Caro hang at #1 for a very long time not playing her best and not winning tournaments. Her drop from #1 came at a time when she hit time frame where most of her points were accumulated. What I am trying to say is that her descent started way before she lost #1 position and she still hang at #1 despite of it.
But isn't that the case for all of them :confused:

Irute
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM
But isn't that the case for all of them :confused:

No it is not; it really depends how points are distributed.

Miracle Worker
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:43 PM

IIRC in 2007 since Miami she had problems with appendicitis, then she had problems with her fitness.

MakarovaFan
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
No it is not; it really depends how points are distributed.
Yes it is, they all begin their fall before actually dropping from No.1(Safina was still No.1 while losing to the likes of Zheng,Chang,Kvitova etc; Ana was No.1 while enduring a 4 match loss streak and the infamous Coin defeat). Caroline stayed on TOP longer because she had a bigger point gap, but that has NOTHING to do with the OT; within a week she dropped from 1-4,then a month later down to 6.....