PDA

View Full Version : Let's be real here, is Sharapova one of the most underrated ever?

Galang
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Everyone is always slating her on here despite the fact she's number 2. Just cus Vika is GOAT or whatever doesn't mean Maria is shit. Everyone says Maria is only famous cus of her looks and play in the past but it's not true. She is actually underrated.

atominside
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Let the maria bashing begin :shrug:

Siderophyre
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
:lol: Then let me begin. Her tennis is ridiculously over-rated.

Galang
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
No this is to appreciate her

JRena
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:29 PM
:facepalm:

Lucemferre
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Peak Pierce.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I don't think people are underrating her, but she is playing like crap in Miami...
Also it's a fact that she is No2 with only 15 tournaments, while Vika, for example, has played 21 in the last 12 months...

MaSharp
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:30 PM
She is very, very good tennis player. But definitly not so good as Serena, Henin, Clijsters, Venus. She deserves to be number two in the world at the moment. And she still can improve herself.

FleetSeb
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Of course she's underrated. She attracts more haters than any other player. Doesn't mean that she's not also horrendously overrated by some.

I love her but I won't pretend that the tennis she's played to reach number 2 in the world has been pretty. But her grit in fighting back from the shoulder saga is to be applauded. Wasn't it said that no player has ever been so successful following such invasive shoulder surgery?

Steven.
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:33 PM
tbh she's nothing like she was pre-shoulder surgery. I'm not just talking about her game, but her mental strength against the best players but at least she's made quite a huge progress since the darker days.

jameshazza
She's only underrated on here, in fact I wouldn't say she's underrated exactly - just gets a lot of hate, all the best do.

madmax
well, you have the likes of KvittyGOAT and Pierce, who are considered some unbeatable GOAT's by this forum "experts", yet when it comes to Maria it's always about "labouring", "screeching" and "winning ugly" here...I mean if that is not underrating a multislam champion, then what is?:unsure:

Break My Rapture
Peak Pierce.
:happy:

Siderophyre
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:35 PM
No this is to appreciate her

OK. I am being unfair. I think she has great fight, great intensity, and she can intimidate from the first point. She hits the ball spectacularly hard and she wins when many others would fold. She should also be applauded for coming back from an injury that would probably have ended many careers. Oh, and she's definitely gorgeous.

Having said that, I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of her matches that I marvelled at the quality of tennis on display.

doomsday
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Why do you care about what trolls think about her anyway ?:lol:

Apoleb
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Overrated. Even at her so-called peak, she wasn't that good. Ask Serena.

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Peak Pierce.

i vote for this response

Galang
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Well Serena isn't that good at her peak either. Ask Hingis and Henin

Sammo
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM
OMG :haha: :haha: :haha:

Delusional Sharapova fans all over the place.

Kon.
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Everyone is always slating her on here despite the fact she's number 2. Just cus Vika is GOAT or whatever doesn't mean Maria is shit. Everyone says Maria is only famous cus of her looks and play in the past but it's not true. She is actually underrated.

Well, no this isn't true. She mostly isn't underrated, haters aside.
I think it's not easy to say she doesn't deserve the No 2 given her results lately which have been great although she often doesn't even play well, like now in Miami. Her B game is just way too good for the majority of the tour and she's been proving that:shrug: And that's not nearly peak Sharapova.

slamchamp
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Maria only played Serena at Maria's peak in Wimbledon and AO 2005 where she had MPs against her:scratch:

LUVMIRZA
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:47 PM
this thread radiates so much life:lol:

franklinbouvier
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:48 PM
She'd be rated more if she achieved a bit more.

M.S.F
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:49 PM
No tactics, no movement and no sceond serve.
Not underrated.

Polikarpov
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Sharapova and "underrated" in the same sentence. Heh.

Craig.
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM
WHY WOULD YOU FUCKING MAKE THIS THREAD? :facepalm:

Matt01
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:09 PM
No, she is one of the most overrated.

jo„o.
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:10 PM
This so much :drool:

The Dawntreader
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Her work ethic and commitment are certainly not underrated. They remain exemplary.

The thing that I underrate about her number 2 position is the level of tennis that she produces these days. And believe me, there was a stark difference to Sharapova at number 2 in 2006, to the Sharapova at number 2 in 2012, so it's an indisputable decline in level.

But of course, Sharapova being at number 2 now at her current level, reflects the general level of the tour these days primarily.

Mina Vagante
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Well Serena isn't that good at her peak either. Ask Hingis and Henin

I'm sorry... What?!?!!

Winning 4 slams in a row at your peak isn't good? Wow... Some people :facepalm:

goat
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:15 PM
no.

Queen_Vee_92
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:18 PM
She is very, very good tennis player. But definitly not so good as Serena, Henin, Clijsters, Venus. She deserves to be number two in the world at the moment. And she still can improve herself.

This.

I hate using the word "peak" in tennis discussions but it's unavoidable here. Sharapova's best tennis and general ability as a player is just under the top 4 that the poster mentioned above, with her movement holding her back from making that next step.

She's a more talented player than Vika but the last 2 or 3 years mentally have made her less herself, despite the still obvious intensity and fighting spirit.

Overall i think she isn't over or underrated really, but to give her some praise, i think stroke for stroke she has the best backhand in the world at the moment! :kiss:

tkutsaar
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM
It may be just my imagination but in every slam Iíve witnessed recently on television including the FO, the commentators unanimously opine that Maria is one of the contenders of the slam. This does not sound like she is underrated especially since she hasnít won one recently; but at least she got to the finals twice.

danieln1
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Thread starter made a mistake in the title, he acrually meant OVERRRATED instead of underrated

Some people here claim her peak, if that whatever happened, is better than Peak Pierce or something, delusional :rolleyes:

thrust
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:27 PM

TRUE! At her best she can beat anyone, however, she cannot play that well often enough. She is too inconsistant these days to win slams or against top players. She spends too much time beating lesser players. Today, she was lucky in tha Na played awful.

doomsday
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM
TRUE! At her best she can beat anyone, however, she cannot play that well often enough. She is too inconsistant these days to win slams or against top players. She spends too much time beating lesser players. Today, she was lucky in tha Na played awful.

You need to realize that Maria is a better player than Na LI will ever be.

miffedmax
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM
For those of you who say Martha never played beautiful tennis, seriously, go back and look at her when she was winning slams. Her strokes and her accuracy were unfreakingcanny. She could redirect shots from anywhere on the court, and just paint the lines with power and precision that really, nobody else could match. It was ballbashing, but it was ballbashing elevated to an art form. She really was Serena's heiress apparent at that point.

The shoulder blowout really set her back. Everybody talks about the serve, but her groundstrokes have never really recovered either. She can't dictate matches from the baseline the way she used to, and she can't hit with the "that ball had eyes" accuracy of her early career. I think she deserves a lot of credit for fighting back to be where she is, but I think she's overranked right now. It's just really unfortunate that she got injured when she did because we got cheated out of some great tennis. But that 's sports sometimes.

Irute
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Of course she's underrated. She attracts more haters than any other player. Doesn't mean that she's not also horrendously overrated by some.

I love her but I won't pretend that the tennis she's played to reach number 2 in the world has been pretty. But her grit in fighting back from the shoulder saga is to be applauded. Wasn't it said that no player has ever been so successful following such invasive shoulder surgery?

She's only underrated on here, in fact I wouldn't say she's underrated exactly - just gets a lot of hate, all the best do.

I don't think she is hated more then any of the top players. On the other hand some of her fans rub others the wrong way, but that happens in a lot of camps as well. For Maria I don't think she is over or under rated. Back to her fans I think there is fair share of those who speak of her highly not due to her tennis but her looks. Funny enough though I think her tennis rating matches her rating in looks department (more or less)

edificio
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Overrated, but also an overachiever. :shrug:

thrust
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:35 PM
well, you have the likes of KvittyGOAT and Pierce, who are considered some unbeatable GOAT's by this forum "experts", yet when it comes to Maria it's always about "labouring", "screeching" and "winning ugly" here...I mean if that is not underrating a multislam champion, then what is?:unsure:

Mary Pierce is the most overrated player here. She had maybe 2 good tournaments a year. At her best, she could beat anyone, but her best was even less often than Maria's today.

vixter
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM
For those of you who say Martha never played beautiful tennis, seriously, go back and look at her when she was winning slams. Her strokes and her accuracy were unfreakingcanny. She could redirect shots from anywhere on the court, and just paint the lines with power and precision that really, nobody else could match. It was ballbashing, but it was ballbashing elevated to an art form. She really was Serena's heiress apparent at that point.

The shoulder blowout really set her back. Everybody talks about the serve, but her groundstrokes have never really recovered either. She can't dictate matches from the baseline the way she used to, and she can't hit with the "that ball had eyes" accuracy of her early career. I think she deserves a lot of credit for fighting back to be where she is, but I think she's overranked right now. It's just really unfortunate that she got injured when she did because we got cheated out of some great tennis. But that 's sports sometimes.

I was gonna try to write a reply myself but can't put it better than this.

serenafann
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:45 PM
No.

Monzanator
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
It's all jealousy, even if Maria plays crap, she still draws the biggest numbers. Not every good looking tennis player can attract a similar interest if she can't back it up with actual results. Maria can afford to play crap and don't worry about the exposure. Her 8 year losing streak to Serena plus recent beatdowns against Azarenka won't change that one bit. She is the female version of David Beckham. Lots of fans maybe hate those kind of athletes but the marketing men just dwell on them time and time again.

M.S.F
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:49 PM
It's all jealousy, even if Maria plays crap, she still draws the biggest numbers. Not every good looking tennis player can attract a similar interest if she can't back it up with actual results. Maria can afford to play crap and don't worry about the exposure. Her 8 year losing streak to Serena plus recent beatdowns against Azarenka won't change that one bit. She is the female version of David Beckham. Lots of fans maybe hate those kind of athletes but the marketing men just dwell on them time and time again.

We are talking ONLY about tennis in this thread.

Queenpova
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:51 PM
She's the WTA queen, the face of the WTA. Haters stay pressed and stressed.

Monzanator
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:52 PM
We are talking ONLY about tennis in this thread.

Get real! Personal bias will ALWAYS come to the fore when talking about Sharapova :lol: Some Serena fans still haven't gotten over that 2004 Wimbledon final :shrug:

Siderophyre
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:00 PM

Good looks go a long way. Anna Kournikova? Still famous for bugger all. And you need look no further than Ana Ivanovic for the perfect example of a good looking player who gets stadium court placement and publicity far, far beyond what her results merit.

At least Maria is not just a pretty face - she has accomplished something in tennis. However, she certainly would NOT pack out stadiums based on the quality of her play alone, particularly since her come-back.

M.S.F
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Get real! Personal bias will ALWAYS come to the fore when talking about Sharapova :lol: Some Serena fans still haven't gotten over that 2004 Wimbledon final :shrug:

Maria deserved to win that match.
In fact, I wasn't a fan of Serena back then so that match didn't mean alot to me and I think the same goes to the majority of Serena fans especially after not losing a match against Maria since then :shrug:

You are still not talking about her game.

M.S.F
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Sorry, I forgot also the Year-End final in 2004 :angel:

madmax
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:10 PM
she is not a good mover at all (some call her even horrible one), she DF's like crazy sometimes and yet she is still pounding these simple peasants of the tour into submission with her relentless, precise hitting...if that is not a natural tennis talent, I have nothing to add to these naysauers anymore...why don't we see other 6'2 women giants doing what she does day in and day out? Right - because she is a special case and that makes her tennis and her game unique:bowdown: That's why she will always remain my favorite, because she is a living example of how talent triumphs over brutal physicallity of today's game

Charlatan
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Galang..you are such a freaking TROLL :facepalm: mods need to close his threads

Bismarck.
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:16 PM
she is not a good mover at all (some call her even horrible one), she DF's like crazy sometimes and yet she is still pounding these simple peasants of the tour into submission with her relentless, precise hitting...if that is not a natural tennis talent, I have nothing to add to these naysauers anymore...why don't we see other 6'2 women giants doing what she does day in and day out? Right - because she is a special case and that makes her tennis and her game unique:bowdown: That's why she will always remain my favorite, because she is a living example of how talent triumphs over brutal physicallity of today's game

I can't.

The Dawntreader
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM

Brutal physicality? Since when was Sharapova Camille Pin?

donellcarey
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1jx76Vi9B1rsyh8ao1_250.gif

madmax
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Brutal physicality? Since when was Sharapova Camille Pin?

I meant it in the sense that Maria is not nearly a naturally gifted athlete like WS, Clijsters or even Henin was, yet she is winning and even trashing those aforementioned players with the only tool in her disposal - her immense and relentless baseline game.

JustPetko
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Peak Pierce.

This. Absolutely.

matty
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:24 PM

She is mostly famous for her pretty blond looks and style appeal. She's also well spoken and intelligent. But as a tennis player you'd think she was the second coming of ____________ with all the attention she gets. She was groomed, trained and marketed by IMG to be who she is today (totally world famous). Venus, Clijsters, (and Serena, of course) has achieved way more than Maria as has Justine Henin and they are not nearly as popular/known. Hell, Kuznetsova has won 2 slams (althoguh not been #1) and nobody outside the tennis world knows who she is and that is because of the way she looks. Period.

Stonerpova
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I don't think she's underrated. She's given credit for the majors she's won (I've never seen anyone here call any of her runs "flukes") and she's widely seen as the fifth best player of her generation (behind Serena, Venus, Henin, and Kim). She's not the player she used to be, as any rational tennis observer - Sharapova fan or not - can see.

If anything she's overrated by the media, especially in America.

Israel
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Sharapova is the most overrated player ever. from 2009-2011 (till Wimbledon) she had done absolutely nothing. People were still talking about her as if she's the no. 1 when she was only ranked about 20 or so.
She also played really badly then. Nowadays she's not overrated and not underrated. I think it's balanced now.

Charlatan
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I don't think she's underrated. She's given credit for the majors she's won (I've never seen anyone here call any of her runs "flukes")

Yesssssssssssssss...some do :sobbing: ask Apoleb

matty
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Regardless, she is overrated in that she gets way more attention than Henin, Serena, Venus, Clijsters, Hingis, Seles, Capriati and Davenport based on her tall, blond, pretty looks. That's just a fact.

You can see moments of brilliance in any of the above players game, too. She is in no way more talented or better than those mentioned above. Every tennis player has injuries and many have had surgeries as well. You have to work with what you got.

Stonerpova
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:51 PM

Beautiful post.

Craig.
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Regardless, she is overrated in that she gets way more attention than Henin, Serena, Venus, Clijsters, Hingis, Seles, Capriati and Davenport based on her tall, blond, pretty looks. That's just a fact.

You can see moments of brilliance in any of the above players game, too. She is in no way more talented or better than those mentioned above. Every tennis player has injuries and many have had surgeries as well. You have to work with what you got.

Who said she was?

manu32
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:26 PM
overrated as hell.look at stats,no plan B,period

jrm
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM
what she has achieved - no

her limited game - yes

Emina.
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Yes. She is underrated.

18majors
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:01 PM

Well said, nice to have a fellow Maria fan.

flareon
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:03 PM

Great post :yeah:

Madoka
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:06 PM
actually, atm, she is overrated.

she doesnt worth her current position.

atominside
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:07 PM
so who else in the wta deserves to be no.2? Answer that question please.

Kairi
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Let's be real here....Martha...UNDERRATED? :spit: :hysteric: :haha: :haha:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz9izkRW5R1r3zat8.gif

atominside
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:10 PM
God, serena fans type really ghetto.

Kairi
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:14 PM
I meant it in the sense that Maria is not nearly a naturally gifted athlete like WS, Clijsters or even Henin was, yet she is winning and even trashing those aforementioned players with the only tool in her disposal - her immense and relentless baseline game.
1) winning what exactly? :scratch:
2) excuse me? Henin yes(in 08')......don't get carried away now :lol:

Dan_Doe
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:53 PM
She's overrated by her fans and underrated by the others. As any other player. Case solved. :rolleyes:

Beat
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:58 AM
galang's threads are not just bad, they're ... they're ... i'm lost for words.

AjdeNate!
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:01 AM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m19pog39m41ql5yr7o1_r2_400.gif

stromatolite
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:19 AM
At her best Maria was extremely good at what she did, but she never played beautiful tennis. Then again, not many do. ATM she probably deserves her #2 ranking, but that is by default because nobody else except Vika is stepping up to the plate. She keeps reaching SFs and finals by sheer force of will, and deserves credit for that as well.

To answer the OP's question I think you have to add "by who?". To the vast majority of her fans I'd say she's first and foremost a glamorous star, and based on that I'd say she's overrated by those fans, who seem pretty indifferent to the quality of her tennis. Her more serious fans are pretty realistic about her shortcomings and neither overrate her nor underrate her I think. A lot of her haters underrate her out of sheer spite, like the blind fans they tend to judge her the same way however well or badly she plays. On balance she probably gets roughly the credit she deserves for her tennis, but has a star status that is out of proportion to her tennis achievements.

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:35 AM

I agree with this. I'm a fan of Maria, and it would be a sad world if only people who had won more slams had fans. All the players who play and do their best deserve respect and can have fans. And you don't have to be a player's fan to at least respect and appreciate their efforts.

So I don't think Maria is either under or over rated. She has fans who just happen to like and appreciate her and will miss her if she ever retires - which of course she will one day!

NeKo
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Sharapova is overrated, not underrated. She was also on top because of her looks, even when she was playing crap.

Shivank17
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Sharapova is overrated, not underrated. She was also on top because of her looks, even when she was playing crap.

:hug: :hug:

Have all psychologists proved helpless in your case? :sad: :hug:

Shivank17
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:51 AM
1) winning what exactly? :scratch:
2) excuse me? Henin yes(in 08')......don't get carried away now :lol:

Matches against Makarova. :oh:

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:54 AM

So that's how she won Wimbledon, US, Australia, and got to No 1 :rolleyes:

NeKo
Mar 28th, 2012, 09:59 AM
:hug: :hug:

Have all psychologists proved helpless in your case? :sad: :hug:

Well, I don't expect a Sharapova fan to approve me. But it's my opinion.

MaBaker
Mar 28th, 2012, 10:03 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/6eg615.gif