PDA

View Full Version : Ernest Gulbis of WTA?

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I was wondering if there is a Top 100 WTA player who's family is rich without her tennis money? :lol:
It's actually interesting, 'cause tennis is considered rich people sports, but I'm not sure that rich people kids are making it big professional... :)

killerqueen
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM
She's not Top 100 yet, but Jessica Pegula's Dad is a billionnaire, which is probably why she has Michael Joyce as a coach. :lol:

the jamierbelyea
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Anna Chakvetadze I believe.

Young American Jessie Pegula too. Her father owns an NHL team.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:42 PM
She's not Top 100 yet, but Jessica Pegula's Dad is a billionnaire, which is probably why she has Michael Joyce as a coach. :lol:

Well she was quite good in IW... :cool:

It's kinda funny, 'cause I've heard like a million times that young & talented players give up on tennis 'cause of money problem...but I rarely see someone who's parents are loaded being a good player.

Curcubeu
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Pervak's daddy is/was a sport functionaire and a rich businessman.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM
P.S. Isn't Zahlavova's dad a "drug lord"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

spiceboy
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Former top 50 Emmanuelle Gagliardi was megarich too.

She played 8 WTA semifinals from 1997 to 2003 (including 2002 Indian Wells). Lost them all :sobbing:

Caipirinha Guy
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Ksenia Pervak = megarich spoilt kid
of course Chakvetadze too.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM

She played 8 WTA semifinals from 1997 to 2003 (including 2002 Indian Wells). Lost them all :sobbing:

I loved her! Didn't she make to RG QF or R16, losing to Likhovtseva who made it to SF that year?
Gagliardi had some nice and clean shots...

killerqueen
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:48 PM
P.S. Isn't Zahlavova's dad a "drug lord"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barbie has to come from money with an attitude like that. :lol: She screams "spoilt rotten" :lol:

Caipirinha Guy
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Also Indy de Vroome

spiceboy
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I loved her! Didn't she make to RG QF or R16, losing to Likhovtseva who made it to SF that year?
Gagliardi had some nice and clean shots...

Probably R16. Definitely no QF, totally sure of that :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Well it was quite some time ago... I remember that was the year even Karatancheva made it to QF :lol: and later on she got "pregnant" :tape:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM

R16 and she lost to Karatancheva, not Likhovtseva. She didn't play a Top 70 player and got to R16 :lol:

Meelis
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Kleybanova´s father is a CEO of big chemical company.

killerqueen
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Oh, and Kim's dad was a professional footballer, so I'd imagine money wouldn't have been to scarce growing up! :)

RR-87
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Brie Whitehead.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Oh, and Kim's dad was a professional footballer, so I'd imagine money wouldn't have been to scarce growing up! :)

I doubt it 'cause back in Leo's time paychecks weren't even close like the ones today... I mean he had money, but far from "megarich" (I just love that term :lol: )

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Brie Whitehead.

Well, she was so freakin close to making it big it tennis :lol: it's a shame she didn't know how to play it :sad:

the jamierbelyea
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM

Whenever I think about Emanuelle Gagliardi, I think of this crazy shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3O5Ts0dls
Cf3O5Ts0dls

Miracle Worker
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I think Julia Cohen also has rich family.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Whenever I think about Emanuelle Gagliardi, I think of this crazy shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3O5Ts0dls
Cf3O5Ts0dls

:spit: :spit: :spit:
NOW THAT IS A PERFECT DROP SHOT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mightymirza
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Bartoli's dad is rich right?

polly
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:22 PM
in what way are indy de vroome and emanuelle gagliardi families rich

spiceboy
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I doubt it 'cause back in Leo's time paychecks weren't even close like the ones today... I mean he had money, but far from "megarich" (I just love that term :lol: )

LOL especially when he played only in Belgium, not exactly what I would call a football powerhouse :facepalm:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
LOL especially when he played only in Belgium, not exactly what I would call a football powerhouse :facepalm:

He did win with some ...ijk club UEFA cup I think :scratch:
Even with that, far from megarich ;)

klever58
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Cibulkova´s mother has been in Slovakian parliament for years, so I don´t think Domi is poor :lol:

spiceboy
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:35 PM
He did win with some ...ijk club UEFA cup I think :scratch:

Yeah, that joke of UEFA Cup winners cup who lasted like 30 years and was abolished in the 90s. Teams like Slovan Bratislava and Dinamo Tbilisi won that cup also :spit: Real Madrid for instance never won it. Enough said.

itzhak
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Shahar Peer's father was the General director of BABYLON (computer dictionary and translation program for Microsoft Windows) and now Hi-Tech initiator. He is Millionaire and the family welth is the main reason why Shahar had all the conditions for success in contrast to other Israeli players who did not came from rich family.

StephenUK
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Carling Bassett was related to the Carling beer dynasty, hence the name!

Petkorazzi
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I think Vania King comes from a very rich family.
Pervak's dad is in the oil business IIRC.

Cohen's dad is a famous sports physician.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah, that joke of UEFA Cup winners cup who lasted like 30 years and was abolished in the 90s. Teams like Slovan Bratislava and Dinamo Tbilisi won that cup also :spit: Real Madrid for instance never won it. Enough said.

Well it is a "second league" competition for European clubs. Still, it's an achievement to win it. I just wikid it, they defeated Ajax in the final, and PSV in the SuperCup. Not bad. Still, no big cash there... :lol:

Patrick345
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I was wondering if there is a Top 100 WTA player who's family is rich without her tennis money? :lol:

I thought you were wondering, which WTA players paid for sex regularly? Now I have lost interest in this topic. :p

Caipirinha Guy
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Domachowska's parents were jewellerels as far as I remember.

nevetssllim
I vaguely remember someone saying Masa Zec Peskiric comes from a wealthy family.

Halepsova
Lindsay Daveport.
Nicole Vaidisova.

Bosco123
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Shahar Peer's father was the General director of BABYLON (computer dictionary and translation program for Microsoft Windows) and now Hi-Tech initiator. He is Millionaire and the family welth is the main reason why Shahar had all the conditions for success in contrast to other Israeli players who did not came from rich family.

Shahar Peer's family has money but certainly not mega rich, they live in Macabim not in Savion. Peer's dad is a millionaire-light , meaning he has a few millions Shekels in his bank account, but not dozens of them. He has earn very good salary in Babylon but he didn't own Babylon- big difference.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I thought you were wondering, which WTA players paid for sex regularly? Now I have lost interest in this topic. :p

Please, do tell :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Shahar Peer's family has money but certainly not mega rich, they live in Macabim not in Savion. Peer's dad is a millionaire-light , meaning he has a few millions Shekels in his bank account, but not dozens of them. He has earn very good salary in Babylon but he didn't own Babylon- big difference.

How much is that in dollars? I mean should I make out with her or not? :lol: :lick:

Petkorazzi
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I vaguely remember someone saying Masa Zec Peskiric comes from a wealthy family.
I remember someone saying she drives around at tourneys with a top model BMW with her name on it. :lol:

tennisbum79
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:54 PM
It's actually interesting, 'cause tennis is considered rich people sports, but I'm not sure that rich people kids are making it big professional... :)
Rich family has always limited their tennis to country club, making the sport exclusive in the worse sense of the word.
In modern open open era, those who play the sport competitively, men and women, were never from rich family, and that is why they play it competitively and not as a recreation.

In most competitive sports, it is rare to find competitors from rich family; they do not have enough hunger, determination, motivation, stamina or desire to succeed in something physical.
AlthoughPolo could be an exception.

While rich people can take risk in business, they are highly risk averse when it comes to their primogeniture. Yes, some of the kid like risky adventures, they don't have to compete day in and day out and go thru the life of a competitive athlete with its grinding, disciplined preparation .

The Geatest Generation(below) definitely took the sport away from rich people and made it cool and accessible to the masses
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=456441

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Former top 100 players Julie Ditty and Anna Lapushchenkova came from very wealthy families. CoCo Vandeweghe comes from a "mega-rich" background, I think.

Depends on if we're talking about "wealthy" or "mega-rich". Players like Hantuchova, Davenport, and Clijsters certainly came from comfortable means. They may not be owning hockey teams like Jessie Pegula's dad, but they're certainly upper-middle class, if nothing else. Either way, I've never understood why players from wealthy backgrounds get ragged on heavily. Look at Gulbis. Money can't win you matches. Money can't buy you motivation to succeed (and if anything, might have the opposite effect).

Bart
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM

In Clijsters' days, Belgian soccer was still relevant (a SF at the WC in Mexico beating Spain on the way for instance :devil: ).

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Rich family has alwayd limited their tennis to country club, making the sport exclusive the worse sense of the word.
In moder open open era, those who play the sport competively, men and women, were never from rich family, and that is why they play it competively and not as a recreation.

In most cmpetetive sports, it is rare to find competitior from rich familiy; thye do not have enough hunger, determination, motivation, stamina or desire to succeed in something physical.
Alhough Polo could be an exception.

While rich people can take risk in business, they highly risk averse when it comes to their progeniture. Yes, some of the kid like risky adventures, they don't have to compet day in and day out and go thru the lfie of a competive athlete with its grinding, disciplined preparation .

The rGeates tGeneration(below) definitely took away from rich people and made it cool and accessible to the masses

That's all well known, especially the lack of motivation. I just wanted to know about those rare examples ;) And country clubs that you are reffering to do not exist in "American form" in places like Eastern Europe and Asia, and there are "megarich" people in those parts of the world too! :)

spiceboy
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:02 PM
They may not be owning hockey teams like Jessie Pegula's dad, but they're certainly upper-middle class, if nothing else.

I would say about 80% of tennis players come from upper-middle class. In some other places like South America or Asia probably about 95%. The recurring topic of poor kids from the Eastern European countries sells good and do exist, but that's a small portion, I believe. Most of players come from upper-middle class families.

spiceboy
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM
In Clijsters' days, Belgian soccer was still relevant (a SF at the WC in Mexico beating Spain on the way for instance :devil: ).

I doubt this make any Belgian player rich and still... wasn't this several years after Lei retired?

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I would say about 80% of tennis players come from upper-middle class. In some other places like South America or Asia probably about 95%. The recurring topic of poor kids from the Eastern European countries sells good and do exist, but that's a small portion, I believe. Most of players come from upper-middle class families.

Yup, but who cares about upper-middle class. I wanna see who is filthy rich!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Number19
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Former top 100 players Julie Ditty and Anna Lapushchenkova came from very wealthy families. CoCo Vandeweghe comes from a "mega-rich" background, I think.

Depends on if we're talking about "wealthy" or "mega-rich". Players like Hantuchova, Davenport, and Clijsters certainly came from comfortable means. They may not be owning hockey teams like Jessie Pegula's dad, but they're certainly upper-middle class, if nothing else. Either way, I've never understood why players from wealthy backgrounds get ragged on heavily. Look at Gulbis. Money can't win you matches. Money can't buy you motivation to succeed (and if anything, might have the opposite effect).

That kinda is it, a lack of motivation. Gulbis himself has admitted it. He likes the lifestyle and the girls. Being a top 10 player winning tournaments, means 'meh' to him. The money he makes on tour makes him poor compared to his dad, but so what when his got it to fall back on.

Anyway they are all rich to me.

matty
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Well she was quite good in IW... :cool:

It's kinda funny, 'cause I've heard like a million times that young & talented players give up on tennis 'cause of money problem...but I rarely see someone who's parents are loaded being a good player.

No, but there are still a lot of kids out there that will never make it because of coaching costs. It helps if your parent(s) can play well. That's like free coaching.

matty
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Rich family has alwayd limited their tennis to country club, making the sport exclusive the worse sense of the word.
In moder open open era, those who play the sport competively, men and women, were never from rich family, and that is why they play it competively and not as a recreation.

In most cmpetetive sports, it is rare to find competitior from rich familiy; thye do not have enough hunger, determination, motivation, stamina or desire to succeed in something physical.
Alhough Polo could be an exception.

While rich people can take risk in business, they highly risk averse when it comes to their progeniture. Yes, some of the kid like risky adventures, they don't have to compet day in and day out and go thru the lfie of a competive athlete with its grinding, disciplined preparation .

The rGeates tGeneration(below) definitely took away from rich people and made it cool and accessible to the masses

Where I live, you have to be shelling out like 500-600 a month for your kid to play like 3 times a week with 2 of those days only being an hour of private coaching. To ever be competitive, you would need to shell out thousands a month. The Williams and Sharapova got snatched up and got free rides because they were really good by 9, 10, 11 yrs old.

*JR*
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Marissa Irvin

And if you just count her absentee father, Alex Stevenson :o

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ranfurly
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:41 PM
The fortune of Emmanuelle Gagliardi's family is extremely wealthy.

Her Grand Father, Alexandro Gagliardi was an initial founder of an investment bank founded in Monaco, of which they still own 80% of all shares.

Assets involved are a super yacht engineering and building business based out of Nice.

and private shares in EFG Bank European Financial Group , Fortis Bank Monaco, Compagnie Monégasque de Banque.

Her father also heads accounts of some of Europes most luxury brands who base themselves in Monaco as well. Rolex, Tissot are to name a few.

An extremely wealthy family.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:55 PM
The fortune of Emmanuelle Gagliardi's family is extremely wealthy.

Her Grand Father, Alexandro Gagliardi was an initial founder of an investment bank founded in Monaco, of which they still own 80% of all shares.

Assets involved are a super yacht engineering and building business based out of Nice.

and private shares in EFG Bank European Financial Group , Fortis Bank Monaco, Compagnie Monégasque de Banque.

Her father also heads accounts of some of Europes most luxury brands who base themselves in Monaco as well. Rolex, Tissot are to name a few.

An extremely wealthy family.

:eek: that's not rich, that's WTF!?!?!?!!? :lol:

Raiden
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I would say about 80% of tennis players come from upper-middle class. In some other places like South America or Asia probably about 95%. The recurring topic of poor kids from the Eastern European countries sells good and do exist, but that's a small portion,I agree with you on that.

Howerver spicemuchacho, you yourself have a stupefyingly naive illusion about middle class or "poor" professional soccer players that actually don't exist. In Western Europe all, I repeat ALL of the top tier national soccer divisions (not just the ones in Primera Division) are paid by the millions... and this has been going on during the 80s as well (the era Lei was playing).

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I agree with you on that.

Howerver spicemuchacho, you yourself have a stupefyingly naive illusion about middle class or "poor" professional soccer players that actually don't exist. In Western Europe all, I repeat ALL of the top tier national soccer divisions (not just the ones in Primera Division) are paid by the millions... and this has been going on during the 80s as well (the era Lei was playing).

Whaaat??? You really think Leo Clijsters was paid in millionS back in the 80s??? :lol:

shoparound
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Who cares about Kim and her dad? She's obviously not the topic of the thread.

Pegula being a billionaire is probably the closest to Ernest Gulbis

Pops Maellard
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Maria was dirt poor, she got by on hard work and talent alone :bowdown:.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:34 PM

Neither is Pegule since she is still not a Top 100 ;) But she is rich :lol:

Pops Maellard
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:36 PM
BTW Gulbis is in an extended slump but got as high as #21 in the world and has wins over (albeit awful) Federer and Djokovic. Let's see if Pegula can get this far :angel:.

iGOAT
Mar 28th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Sunshine and Fistpump seem to be at least from comfortable families…

BlueTrees
Mar 28th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Isn't Zec Peskiric really rich? :confused: I guess that's not WTA though :oh:

Mustafina
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:04 AM
That's why I always admire the girls who grew up in the Soviet Union. I don't think they led very comfortable lives when they first picked up tennis.

Halepsova
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Maria was dirt poor, she got by on hard work and talent alone :bowdown:.

She might be rich according to Siberian standard. :p

Vefci Y
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Romina Oprandi?I think she is from rich family too,right?

Beat
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:50 AM
That's why I always admire the girls who grew up in the Soviet Union. I don't think they led very comfortable lives when they first picked up tennis.

please re-read the thread.

faboozadoo15
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Doesn't MJF come from a wealthy family?

And Pam Shriver has a Kennedy connection?

chingching
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:00 AM

Terrence is 125 richest in america, 367 in the world!!!
Thats wealthier than ernests. His family arent even billionaires :facepalm:

Inger67
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Terrence is 125 richest in america, 367 in the world!!!
Thats wealthier than ernests. His family arent even billionaires :facepalm:

:eek: Good lord...

faboozadoo15
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:25 AM
:tape: Had no idea she was that filthy rich.

Geoffrey91
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I suspect Aravane Rezai to come from a megarich family too. She was able to travel in car everywhere and everyone knows how expensive gas is nowadays !

LoLex
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Brie. True GOAT.

chingching
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:00 AM
According to forbes he is worth 3.1 Billion.
http://www.forbes.com/profile/terrence-pegula/

hellas719
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:55 AM
Eleni Daniilidou comes from a family of dentists so I think her family is pretty well off ;)

Vefci Y
Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:02 AM
I think Tsurenko is from rich family too,isn`t her?

Navratil
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:07 AM
As far as I know Chanda Rubin is the only WTA player with two university graduates as parents! Anybody else?

Corswandt
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Bartoli's dad is rich right?

Country doctor. Middle class. Which doesn't mean that Bartoli isn't very well brought up - perhaps better than people born in money like some of those mentioned in this thread.

Holdsworth
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
As far as I know Chanda Rubin is the only WTA player with two university graduates as parents! Anybody else?
Zvonareva

Domo19
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Masa Zec Peskiric .... maybe she is rich but her face :rolleyes:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Masa Zec Peskiric .... maybe she is rich but her face :rolleyes:

She is 70% more beatufil if she is dirty rich. That's how life works :lol:

Halepsova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Pics please.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Pics please.

Google her...long lost Kanepi's sister :oh:
And her surname in Serbian means Rabbit-Little Towel :lol:

Halepsova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Google her...long lost Kanepi's sister :oh:
And her surname in Serbian means Rabbit-Little Towel :lol:

That's why I asked for a pic. I tried googling her and I saw the girl who looks like Kanepi. Not sure if it's her. :tape:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
That's why I asked for a pic. I tried googling her and I saw the girl who looks like Kanepi. Not sure if it's her. :tape:

Yup it's her. Kanepi 2.0

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:32 PM

Arantxa Parra Santonja.

Juju Nostalgique
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
I think that most of the tennis players' families have to be rich in some way. I mean most people can't afford a trainer for their kid. Then there's the megarich people of course, but you don't need to have 1 million dollars to be rich IMO. :o

spiceboy
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Then there's the megarich people of course, but you don't need to have 1 million dollars to be rich IMO. :o

Actually, I don't think you are rich if you have 1 million dollars. That's like 800,000€. Definetely that's not my definition of RICH.

orka_irl
Apr 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
As far as I know Chanda Rubin is the only WTA player with two university graduates as parents! Anybody else?This has to be wrong. Tennis is a very middle class sport that costs a lot of money so I suspect most parents are either ex-pro sports people themselves or well-educated/professionals to be able to afford the training. Looking at the pesonal info on the WTA website, Hantuchova's parents are a computer scientist and a toxicologist, Barthel's are a doctor and a teacher. Any American parents who aren't ex-pros are very likely to be graduates.

Juju Nostalgique
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Actually, I don't think you are rich if you have 1 million dollars. That's like 800,000€. Definetely that's not my definition of RICH.

I would be rich with so much money. :cool:

*JR*
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM

Dani. From her WTA profile:

"Father, Igor, is a computer scientist; mother, Marianna, is a toxicologist; older brother, Igor, is an architect in Bratislava"

She's said that she admires them for this, and wants to do the same kind of thing after her pro career. (I hope that the Frankfurt Felon doesn't kick her study materials the way he did her water bottle). :help:

And that nobody messes up her name. Anotoxfa (http://www.google.com/search?q=anotoxfa&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=mozilla) has a fb page, "match results" on Google, etc, and owes it all to Cindy! :tape:

mQ1J37NN-i0

Halepsova
Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Cindy. :o

chingching
Apr 5th, 2012, 06:03 AM
It seems andrea hlavackovas father owns a brewery + she is doing a law degree

tennisbum79
Jun 4th, 2013, 02:33 AM
THey spend their money it, they don't make out it.

I don't think Gulbis take tennis as profession seriously like the other ATP guys do.

It is just another past time.

matty
Jun 4th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Laura Robson's father is like a CEO of an oil Company or something

debopero
Jun 4th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I guess it depends on how you define rich. As has been said, most players probably have middle class backgrounds, although there are exceptions like the Williams Sisters and Sharapova...although frankly I wonder about them. CLEARLY they had some kind of money to get lessons and training.

Kəv.
Jun 4th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Laura Gulbe :oh:

saint2
Jun 4th, 2013, 06:18 AM
This question is somehow dumb- 95% of them is from rich families. And when I mean rich, I mean really rich.

Other question would be more interesting- wich players are NOT from rich families ?- Williams Sisters, Sharapova, Pironkova, Olaru, anyone else ?

Si_Hi
Jun 4th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Please, do tell :lol:

you don't know that gulbis got arrested in Sweden one year.:lol:

dencod16
Jun 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM

I think Hantuchova's parents as well are. I always hear it in commentaries of her matches.

Goddess Serena
Jun 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
She is 70% more beatufil if she is dirty rich. That's how life works :lol:

:lol:

Never a truer word said in jest!

Kipling
Jun 4th, 2013, 06:56 PM
I think Julia Cohen also has rich family.

Yeah, her parents would have to be pretty loaded to finance that 40-plus-weeks-a-year, globe-hopping, trainwreck....

JCTennisFan
Jun 4th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Isn't Coco Vandeweghe?

I mean her name says it all....... only a rich person would name their child something like "Coco" and the last name sounds very typically rich as well.

Tennis unfortunately is often times a rich person's sport....

Tampering
Jun 4th, 2013, 09:57 PM

Yes from two very prominent Canadian families. A major reason tennis started coming on TV in Canada around the time of her career was that her grandfather controlled private television in the country.

The Bassett Family was/is one of the influential families in Canada. Her great-grandfather John was the publisher of the Montreal Gazette. Her grandfather John W. was a reporter before going into the sports busineses as lead shareholder in the Toronto Maple Leafs before he was forced out. He also founded the first non-government TV station in Canada which eventually controlled the CTV network. Her father John F. followed into sports business and famously went into a battle with Donald Trump over the future of the USFL but he died during Carling's career as a player IIRC.

Her mother's side of the family was a member of the Carling family, who founded the Carling brewery in London Ontario. Members of the family were politicians and served in the Canadian Cabinet and as civic leaders in their community. The Carling brewery was sold outside the family some time in the early 20th century.

carling
Jun 5th, 2013, 02:13 AM

Yep! Both of her parents were rich. Her dad was a football team owner and son of an ultra rich Canadian media baron. Carling's mom is an heiress to the Carling beer brewing fortune. The chick is loaded! :eek:

Morning Morgan
Jun 5th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Ok we need a definition of rich here. Let's set it as family having assets of >10 million USD. Who be having that much MOOLAH!?!

Wiggly
Jun 5th, 2013, 03:55 AM
On the WTA, you were either born with little to no cash or your parents are loaded.
Most Americans are from an upper middle class background.

Bouchard is from Westmount, QC which is the wealthiest neighborhoud in the province.

Becool
Jun 5th, 2013, 05:47 AM
gulbis is actually a talented player

Halepsova
Jun 5th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Isn't Coco Vandeweghe?

I mean her name says it all....... only a rich person would name their child something like "Coco" and the last name sounds very typically rich as well.

Tennis unfortunately is often times a rich person's sport....
Her last name reminds me of Serena Van der Woodsen lol. Dutch last name sounds richy if they live around New England or New York. But she lives in California so I don't know. :confused:

Kəv.
Jun 5th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Would Minella be rich? Lives in Luxembourg/Paris. Owns a mercedes + private jet (although they are her sponsors). Imo she seems so elegant and rich

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

chingching
Jun 5th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Also Indy de Vroome

Cromvoirt isn't that wealthy a place :shrug:

I think Vania King comes from a very rich family.
Pervak's dad is in the oil business IIRC.

Cohen's dad is a famous sports physician.

I have met her father and they are not a rich family, at least not when she was starting :lol:

KournikovaFan91
Jun 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM
This question is somehow dumb- 95% of them is from rich families. And when I mean rich, I mean really rich.

Other question would be more interesting- wich players are NOT from rich families ?- Williams Sisters, Sharapova, Pironkova, Olaru, anyone else ?

Agree most were probably some kind of middle class, very few people make it from poverty to the tours.