PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop with the "Sarin" sh*t

pov
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:54 PM
"ree," etc are valid nicknames - the name of a horrible chemical weapon "sarin" is not.

Kworb
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM
No we can't.

Lucemferre
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I missed this birth of this one. What's the story?

Pump-it-UP
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Sarin and Vinas >>>>>>

Pie800
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
"ree," etc are valid nicknames - the name of a horrible chemical weapon "sarin" is not.

Agreed.

SoBizarre
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Well, I've checked Wikipedia, and it says this about exposure to sarin: "Ultimately, the victim becomes comatose and suffocates in a series of convulsive spasms".
So, you could paraphrase that and say that sarin makes you choke to death. And that's exactly what Serena does to her opponents, hence the nickname: Sarin. ;)

young_gunner913
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Sarin Willyam says no.

friendsita
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Me likes Sarin & Vinas.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1inytckZs1qia00xo3_250.gif

effedcamel
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
pfft this is mild compared to what Medusa does, or did rather :oh:

Rocketta
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM
The best nickname was the one Richard Williams came up with for Safina... which I can't remember right now just that it was really funny. :lol:

Petkorazzi
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:37 PM
The best nickname was the one Richard Williams came up with for Safina... which I can't remember right now just that it was really funny. :lol:
Daniela Sanowa. :lol:

Rocketta
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Daniela Sanowa. :lol:

classic! :haha:

miffedmax
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Exceed only by Danielle Anotaxfa, or however you spell it.

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Well let's use Sahreen from now on! :spit:

pav
Mar 27th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Well just stop thinking about the Chemical weapon part and stick with the first word.

TuxedoSlam
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I guess that nick was given to her in respect. It's called humour you know.

Now if you're a Kurd or if you're grandfather died in World War I, I'd understand your demand. But why so politically correct?

franklinbouvier
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM
It's only a matter of time before tf becomes unintelligible to the outside world. I barely have a clue who we're talking about these days.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Now if you're a Kurd or if you're grandfather died in World War I, I'd understand your demand. But why so politically correct?

And that's it...next thread please.

Super Dave
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:50 PM
They're pronounced differently.

RenaSlam.
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin. Sarin.

AliceMariaRenka
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Sarin and Vinas >>>>>>

Are both awful. I can't stand all these names people are giving players, including in thread titles. It really puts me off the threads and posts that use them.

duhcity
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Exceed only by Danielle Anotaxfa, or however you spell it.

My favorite thread of all time: A poll about the spelling turning into a fight :hearts:

Super Dave
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM
My favorite thread of all time: A poll about the spelling turning into a fight :hearts:

Anatoxfa!

slamchamp
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I like it:D

Akaniero
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Remember the US Open a couple of years ago and her threatening the line judge? It suits her.

edificio
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM
It's better than some of the nasty/vulgar nicknames.

But, yeah, it isn't my favorite.

serenafann
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I think it cute.

JN
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM

He may not be a Kurd, but he's definitely the TF Curmudgeon! I've never called her "Sarin" before, but I'll make it a point to do so, now.

SNATCH WOZ'S WIG TONIGHT, SARIN!!! :bounce:

Chakvenus
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Wow, he really is a stick-in-the-mud, isn't he? It's just a fun nickname! I never have ever considered it in linkage to the chemical, even after I found out that that's possibly where the nickname derived from. I just like the phonological connection between Serena-Sarin.

matty
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Wow, he really is a stick-in-the-mud, isn't he? It's just a fun nickname! I never have ever considered it in linkage to the chemical, even after I found out that that's possibly where the nickname derived from. I just like the phonological connection between Serena-Sarin.

I thought it had something to do with Lord of the Rings :confused:

Oh, I guess that bad guy was name Sorin, not Sarin.

donellcarey
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:13 PM
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc486/boyonherbicycle/notsolame%20gifs%20and%20funny%20crap/34g10eb.gif

You lost, so no.:lol:

GeeTee
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:50 PM
So we all have to call her Saurona, now?

StoneRose
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I think it's an awful nickname and i'd never use it but if you have too....

RenaPova
Mar 28th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Where does Venus's nickname Vinas comes from?

V-MAC
Mar 28th, 2012, 02:20 AM

Yeah, I have wondered about this too:confused:
I've always hated it:o

SymphonyX
Mar 28th, 2012, 02:26 AM

The way a typical American would pronounce "Venus" is exactly how one would pronounce "Vinas". Vee-nahs.

delicatecutter
Mar 28th, 2012, 02:38 AM
The way a typical American would pronounce "Venus" is exactly how one would pronounce "Vinas". Vee-nahs.

Not so much. The last syllable is "nuhs" not "nahs".

I don't get any of these lame TF made-up nicknames. I think they're idiotic, but that's just me.

stromatolite
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Well, I've checked Wikipedia, and it says this about exposure to sarin: "Ultimately, the victim becomes comatose and suffocates in a series of convulsive spasms".
So, you could paraphrase that and say that sarin makes you choke to death. And that's exactly what Serena does to her opponents, hence the nickname: Sarin. ;)

This is the first time I've seen a TF nickname explained in a way that makes sense.:yeah: I don't think you even need to paraphrase the Wikipedia quote. "...becomes comatose and suffocates in a series of compulsive spasms" pretty accurately describes what I've seen happen on court quite a few times to people playing Serena :lol:

Whatever the explanation, it seems a bit arbitrary to demand that people stop using this name for Serena when there are plenty of far more offensive names being used for other players.

BH both wings
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Not so much. The last syllable is "nuhs" not "nahs".

I don't get any of these lame TF made-up nicknames. I think they're idiotic, but that's just me.

Well, "nuhs" is only used by Americans with Lancashire accent.

gc-spurs
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Oh, I guess that bad guy was name Sorin, not Sarin.

That was Sauron. Wouldn't mind using that one!

The Kaz
Mar 28th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I love the Sarin nickname, cos it refers that Serena is a noxious gas that nobody wants :oh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin

pattyclijsters
Mar 28th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Boohoo.