PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done the Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) examinations from Cambridge

Sammo
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm gonna do it in June and I'm a bit nervous, I'm preparing it at my English academy but still, it costs €180 and my parents would get angry if I didn't pass, at the moment I'm doing pretty well in the practise exams I do at the academy. Any advices? Thx in advance

pov
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:02 PM
What's your native language?

Sean.
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I'm gonna do it in June and I'm a bit nervous, I'm preparing it at my English academy but still, it costs €180 and my parents would get angry if I didn't pass, at the moment I'm doing pretty well in the practise exams I do at the academy. Any advices? Thx in advance

I would suggest not. ;):p

In all seriousness, though, I don't know a lot about the test but your English seems to be of a very high standard and it would be a great thing to put on your CV.

I doubt your parents would be too angry if you tried your best and didn't pass.

Nicolás89
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:03 PM
You don't get a score with the results of this test? I only have experience with TOEFL & TOEIC.

Sammo
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM
What's your native language?

Spanish

_marial_
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I did it. I passed it, but it's very very very difficult. The hardest one is in my opinion the reading part. Some of my friends who are very good in English didn't passt it, so just take the test if you are really sure of your knowledge.

Sammo
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I did it. I passed it, but it's very very very difficult. The hardest one is in my opinion the reading part. Some of my friends who are very good in English didn't passt it, so just take the test if you are really sure of your knowledge.

The part in which you're given different parts of the text and you have to put them correctly in the main text? Yeah that's hard, I always take a lot of time for that, I usually put the numbers and the possibilities in a corner of the paper and then I start discarding :lol:

Sille
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:21 AM
The exam is no biggie. You'll pass it comfortably. The most annoying though is the listening part with all the English accents and the noise in the background of the recordings. The people also tend to speak very messy and incoherent and you need to be really focused.

The writing part is done on a computer, for other parts you'll do the papers. Except for the speaking part obviously.

Good luck.

pierce85
Mar 28th, 2012, 09:33 AM
These tests are really popular in Greece. The lower, advanced and proficiency cerificates in English are far more Difficult and prestigious than the likes of TOEFL,IELTS

Mistress of Evil
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
I did sit it back in December 2010. It ain't as hard as you think. The speaking bit is a piece of cake. Just work more on the grammar and of course the writing part( it was my nemesis). Got A on all the other components but barely passed the writing and as a result got a fucking B with a 76%.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv5ab2atVb1qbgi86o5_250.gif

Sammo
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I passed I passed! But with a C, I basically screwed it in the speaking (got nervous!! :sobbing:) and the listening, which was a fucking mess. I got exceptional in reading, good in writing, more or less good in listening, and almost borderline in speaking :sobbing: But who cares, I now have a fucking certified C1 level! :woohoo:

JustPetko
Jul 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Congrats! :cheer:

Kon.
Jul 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM
That's great, congrats! :yeah:

I never sat for this one. I only sat for CPE (C2) last year and I passed it.
Will you try CPE too?

Javi.
Jul 25th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Congrats Sammo :yeah:
I'm thinking about preparing it any time soon.

Sammo
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:07 PM
That's great, congrats! :yeah:

I never sat for this one. I only sat for CPE (C2) last year and I passed it.
Will you try CPE too?

Thanks! Yeah but I think I'll wait 2 or 3 more years, I mean, my level of English has increased dramatically if we compare it to the one I had 3 years ago, I've actually seen messages I posted 3 or 4 years ago and I was like: WTF? I thought I had a good English level back then, gosh, I sounded like Borat :lol:

pov
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Congrats.

Tennis Fool
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Congrats!

Did you actually have to go to the UK to take the test? What does having this certificate mean?

Sammo
Jul 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM
^ Thx! No it was here in Spain, Cambridge does this kind of tests all around the world, it means that I have a certified C1 level of English now :) C2 is the best you can (officially) get.

Damn I just checked it, I got 72% right. 2% more and I would have had a B instead of a C :sad: But it's OK, both of them certify C1 level anyway.