PDA

View Full Version : Serena and Venus will reclaim No.1 & No.2 in 2012

clonesheep
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Can't you see they are back at their former peak forms when they were "fear factors"? I predict all-Williams finals at multiple slams this year. Regarding the so-called "big 3":

Kvitova has collapsed after AO.

Sharapova is Azarenka's pigeon.

But Azarenka is Serena's pigeon.

That would pretty much sum up the story of 2012.

oh yeah i guess
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Okay then.

Pops Maellard
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Unless Serena wins the next three slams and then some other events, impossible.
Venus, completely impossible.

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah either of them must have played well in other events as well apart from the slams to get to #1 and #2, and since when was the last time both have been #1 and #2?:oh:

LUVMIRZA
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM
They are in their 30s now. It'll be awesome for them but the tour will look cheap again:lol: And moreover its not a sure thing about their body condition. So no but I wouldnt say impossible.

volta
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
:facepalm:

Simugna Help
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Realistic projection... this is not.

Sam L
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Not sure about the rankings but they will be a force at the slams and the Olympics for sure.

Beat
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Kvitova has collapsed after AO.

Sharapova is Azarenka's pigeon.

But Azarenka is Serena's pigeon.

That would pretty much sum up the story of 2012.

and where does that leave venus?

Reptilia
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
:tape:

StoneRose
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:06 PM
:facepalm:This.

Israel
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Ha but there are Woznaicki and Radwanska in the frame! Lol kidding :D
Serena will not be #1 this year, nor will Venus be #2.
Reasons: Serena keeps finding ways to get injured and Venus as Sjorgen something which is quite random from what I understand so she might retire from matches quite a lot, if not from the tour.
We'll see.

zigga
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Hmmm... Not!

Miracle Worker
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah either of them must have played well in other events as well apart from the slams to get to #1 and #2, and since when was the last time both have been #1 and #2?:oh:

Serena was #1 in 2010 until autumn and Venus became #2 after Madrid 2010.

And they both don't have to be even in TOP10 to be considered as favorites to win.

shaktincredible
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
it's 2012 not 2002 :oh:

Vee Williams
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:35 PM
not possible, because of a number of factors. but it's nice to have them back

madmax
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
yeah...right...cool story brah:cheer:

jedw
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Serena and Venus will reclaim No.1 & No.2 in 2012.

No, they won't :wavey:

Sure, I'm glad to see them still on the tour, and still relevant, been a venus fan since 1999. But no.

tennisbum79
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Let's not overstate their recent burst.

Venus still has issue and trying to sort them out, therefore there is still question how often she will play, and when she does play, how many matches can she realistically effective. These are pending question I believe Venus and her team are still trying to find answer to.
Mind you , this is new territory

Serena. Let's not forget Serena ha had her own health problem a year ago. We don't know how many tournaments she is willing to enter and be competitive in.

I just want to enjoy their relative recent success, I am not looking too far head for when I look back, they have already given so much to be proud about.
This does not mean I will stop myself from screaming at Venus or Serena (at the TV or in Live scoring) during their matches when I think they are doing the wrong thing; not moving their feet, make the wrong decision, etc.... That is what we do as fans, and we can't stop it.
I am proud of the WS and their accomplishment.
Imagine if they were from Serbia, they would have been showered with national honors, as Novak Djokovic has. He is recipient the highest national honor of Serbia.

He appeared on US most prestigious new magazine this week, "60 Minutes", excerpt of which I posted here, thinking it was an inspirational story, which should transcend gender and would be of interest to every tennis fan, ATP or WTA. But the mods and some posters here disagree so it was removed.

Anyway, Venus and Serena are our Novak Djokovic, but w/o the accolade Novak has received, which is ok by me.

Stamp Paid
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah either of them must have played well in other events as well apart from the slams to get to #1 and #2, and since when was the last time both have been #1 and #2?:oh:2010.

MegaDethly
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I certainly wouldn't rule it out. They are still the two most gifted tennis players on the tour.

homogenius
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
lolz

Jane Lane
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Obvious troll thread is obvious.

Lulu.
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Not impossible but unlikely. Serena is in Top 10 which is good enough for me.

StephenUK
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:45 PM
It just can't happen.

1. We are already some way into the year and it would mean that they would both have to win loads of events, not just slams but other events. This is not something they have been able to do for years.

2. They haven't even reached one final yet.

3. Venus particularly is still low-ranked so it is quite likely that she will be in Serena's section of the draw in maybe 50% of the events they play in, which would preclude all-Williams finals in loads of events. What happens if Venus-Serena keep meeting in early rounds like Barthel-Azarenka?

4. Miami is a special case - it's their home event. It does not mean they will play so well the rest of the year.

5. Clay. European red clay has been beyond the sisters for years and this is the big lot of points just coming up so their progress will be halted on this.

6. Age/ injuries. Given the fragile health of the sisters, you can never be sure they will even play a full year.

Queen_Vee_92
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
No they won't.

Serena will have it all on to get back to number 1, and realistically i see her as a top 10 possibly top 5 player for the next couple of years before she retires. She still physically has what it takes to win a major, and mentally and talent wise she's still the best woman on tour.

Venus can still produce good tennis as we've seen, and likewise is more talented than 90% of the people she will face, but her syndrome leaves playing 7 matches at grand slam level very much up in the air, and considering she's hardly gunna play enough tourneys to make no.1 the wozniacki way then she'll need to win major (s) which outside of her having a real hot patch during Wimbledon, even as her biggest fan, looks farfetched near impossible.

IMO neither will play enough to get the top rankings back, but it isn't about that anymore. It's more about enjoying their twilight years and snatching the young wigs now and then to show who will always be boss ;)

BluSthil
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:14 PM
If they only play the grand slams and a couple of other tournaments, you could be right. Although, Venus would definitely be a long shot ! If they played the majority of the mandatory tournaments, no way. Injuries would soon come knocking at the door !

cescsas
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Personally I think they should both retire after the olympics let the US open be there final bow, they have nothing to prove and they've won everything between them, What is the motivation? As for No1 and No2 in the world they don't play enough for that and they couldn't care less about ranking positions it's always been about winning slams.

Stonerpova
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Serena is more than capable of getting back to #1.

I think Venus has a different set of priorities now.

pov
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Anything is possible but it's very unlikely.

MrSerenaWilliams
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
it's 2012 not 2010 :oh:

Fixed :yeah:

not possible, because of a number of factors. but it's nice to have them back
This

I certainly wouldn't rule it out. They are still the two most gifted tennis players on the tour.

And this.
Serena is more than capable of getting back to #1.

I think Venus has a different set of priorities now.

And this too.

friendsita
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Serena can.

dynamoRockstarr
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM
plz don't bring the trolls out....whyyyyy :sad:

The Witch-king
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM
:facepalm:

effedcamel
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM
even holding 3 majors Serena couldn't get to the #1 ranking cause of her part time schedule. now with her being a little more fragile and a little more prone to those IDGAF days that seems even less likely to happen. that said I'll take her being in the top10 or 5

faboozadoo15
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Serena could, after Wimbledon, or after the USO if she plays the fall. I think Venus is too careful with her schedule. Venus would need to win Miami to make a case for top 2. To get to top2, especially as a part time player you need to be winning or getting to the final of almost every tournament you play.

2Black
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:44 PM
This is why I'm not a Mod because this thread would've already been deleted

Fighterpova
Mar 27th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Fail :facepalm:

Knizzle
Mar 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Troll

flareon
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I predict that you are a moroon, why do people need to make these jokes of a thread!

Charlatan
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Ta-Roll

nfl46
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I don't think they even care about their ranking anymore. Venus cares right now, because she needs to get it up for the Olympics, but it sucks for the top rank players having to face Venus or Serena early in tournaments.

Vincey!
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
simply impossible neither Serena nor Venus will play nearly enough to be top 2, at least not at the same time.

Oyster
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I can't believe hardly anyone has mentioned Vika in this thread yet. The main reason they can't do it, is that Vika has amassed over a 4000 point lead on both of them already, and she's far too consistent not to at least go deep at almost every tourney, meaning the Williams would have to win out all the events they play. The Williams have the talent but neither the health nor the commitment to play and win a full tour schedule.

Even if the Williams play all the Grand slams, Olympics, Beijing, and Safina Slams (Madrid, Rome :lick: ) they still won't do it.

I mean, I guess if Venus can meet Vika in early round after early round, but other than that, I don't even know if they'll pass Sharapova in the rankings (but Serena should).

Siderophyre
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Who really cares about the rankings? Serena is clearly the best player. She knows it and all the other players know it too.

Maddox
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:24 PM
The Number 1 spot has cheapened. The Williams sisters have been number 1, 02, 03 and 2010. Which has been amazing, I'm sure they don't give a damn.

Once you hit 30, it's all about winning slams, that's what they'll focus on. Wozniacki and co can have the number 1 spot.

kris719
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
obviously they won't play enough to do that :facepalm:

doomsday
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:33 PM
:lol:

edificio
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Doubt it, doubt they care.

faboozadoo15
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:41 PM
simply impossible neither Serena nor Venus will play nearly enough to be top 2, at least not at the same time.

Sharapova doesn't play much, 13 tournaments in the last year. 9 for Serena, and they will probably be about equal in tournaments after RG.

Azarenka has a massive lead though, plays the perfect amount and doesn't show any signs of losing early.

Sammo
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:47 PM
:spit:

StephenUK
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I can't believe hardly anyone has mentioned Vika in this thread yet. The main reason they can't do it, is that Vika has amassed over a 4000 point lead on both of them already, and she's far too consistent not to at least go deep at almost every tourney, meaning the Williams would have to win out all the events they play. The Williams have the talent but neither the health nor the commitment to play and win a full tour schedule.

Even if the Williams play all the Grand slams, Olympics, Beijing, and Safina Slams (Madrid, Rome :lick: ) they still won't do it.

I mean, I guess if Venus can meet Vika in early round after early round, but other than that, I don't even know if they'll pass Sharapova in the rankings (but Serena should).

You are absolutely right! I was just about to come on here and make the same point. I think it is going to be very hard for anyone to catch Vika this year, unless she is injured or goes through a total slump in the second half of the year a la Tamira Paszek. Serena has also not won her best slam this year(Australian Open), so she is going to have to do really well in events she has not done well in for years - she has not won Roland Garros for 10 years and only won 1 US Open since 2002; Venus has not won the US since 2001, and they both can't win Wimbledon! I don't think you can count out Sharapova and Kvitova, as well as Vika as rivals for slams this year, and Kim may well come back into form later in the year.

donellcarey
Mar 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM
obviously they won't play enough to do that :facepalm:
:lol:This.

It's almost impossible, but the sisters like to what's impossible, so I will never rule them out:angel:

Raiden
Mar 28th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Serena and Venus will reclaim No.1 & No.2 in 2012Agreed.

They will reclaim the № 1 & 2 positions on the domestic US players ranking.

danieln1
Mar 28th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Agreed.

They will reclaim the № 1 & 2 positions on the domestic US players ranking.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Funniest post of tje week

Serena is already number one, Venus might get to number 2 :oh:

zxcVbnm88
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:33 AM
possible but very unlikely.

Sp!ffy
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:36 AM
#71 and #72

StephenUK
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Funniest post of tje week

Serena is already number one, Venus might get to number 2 :oh:

Venus is going to have to play very well to overtake McHale though! :lol:

StephenUK
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
So Serena's march on the top ranking has dwindled to a dawdle, she has gained on world no 9 Vera Zvonareva, but is still 1000 behind Bartoli ranked 8, 2000 behind the likes of Na Li, Stosur and Radwanska, 3000-3500 behind Sharapova and Kvitova and 5000 behind Vika, not taking account of more points Vika, Maria, Caroline, Marion and Aga could still get in this event...

Venus deserves congrats for re-entering the top 100 and won't need WCs or protected rankings to enter Wimbledon or Roland Garros.

LoLex
Mar 28th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Wut? :weirdo:

justineheninfan
Mar 28th, 2012, 09:01 AM
ROTFL they dont even want to be #1 and #2 (well they would but in some fantasy ranking system done by journalists). They will probably play only about 7 events each this year. That is if they were even still the best players to begin with, which frankly they arent anymore, but are still a force in big events (especialy Serena) due to sheer talent, experience, and champions mentality.

It is barely into the year, yet it would already seem safe to bet the house on Azarenka ending the year #1. Even if Kvitova recovered her form and won 2 of the remaining slams, or Serena won 2 of the remaining slams, they would still never accumulate the overall points to overtake Azarenka this year.

BH both wings
Mar 28th, 2012, 09:09 AM
So Serena's march on the top ranking has dwindled to a dawdle, she has gained on world no 9 Vera Zvonareva, but is still 1000 behind Bartoli ranked 8, 2000 behind the likes of Na Li, Stosur and Radwanska, 3000-3500 behind Sharapova and Kvitova and 5000 behind Vika, not taking account of more points Vika, Maria, Caroline, Marion and Aga could still get in this event...

Yeah, well, she won't be closing in on Azarenka any time soon. However:

Marion has not much to defend until the Ides of May and Marion is rather consistent in gathering points here and there. Williams needs to do great at the next two Slams to pass her.

Li has to defend 2900 points until May. The way she playes at the moment, she will need extremely lucky draws to defend even 600 of those points. Even if Serena doesn't play at all until Wimbledon, she'd already pass Li.

Wozniacki, well, remains to be seen. Lots of points to lose at the Premiers, but a lot of to gain from the GS. However, I really don't see her dropping thousands of points this season. Only if Williams finals the Slams ...

Stosur, well, clay points should be defendable, not eliminating herself from RG would help to keep the distance till USO.

Radwanska is well out of reach for Williams. She is playing very solid and could easily have a great transition to clay this season.

Kvitova, well, the Madrid points will be hard to defend in her current form. And there is Wimbledon. Just imagine she blows both first/second round matches, the 3000 points she is ahead of Williams are basically gone.

I think that if Williams somehow finds her form, learns how to move on a tennis court again, she could make it to Top 6. There is not much behind her to catch her, Li will be out of the Top 15 soon anyway, Zvonareva is no big hurdle and with some bad luck Bartoli and Stosur can be caught.

However, I don't think Williams cares at all.

justineheninfan
Mar 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
It just can't happen.

1. We are already some way into the year and it would mean that they would both have to win loads of events, not just slams but other events. This is not something they have been able to do for years.

2. They haven't even reached one final yet.

3. Venus particularly is still low-ranked so it is quite likely that she will be in Serena's section of the draw in maybe 50% of the events they play in, which would preclude all-Williams finals in loads of events. What happens if Venus-Serena keep meeting in early rounds like Barthel-Azarenka?

4. Miami is a special case - it's their home event. It does not mean they will play so well the rest of the year.

5. Clay. European red clay has been beyond the sisters for years and this is the big lot of points just coming up so their progress will be halted on this.

6. Age/ injuries. Given the fragile health of the sisters, you can never be sure they will even play a full year.

Exactly. This thread is just :help: :lol: I am sure Venus would be thrilled to just get back in the top 15 again, all things considered, and with her schedule, and virtually certain non existent clay results at this stage (no matter how many of those she plays), she might have to win one of Wimbledon or the U.S Open and semis of the other for that to happen.

Serera would probably be satisfied getting back into the top 5, maybe as high as 3rd or 4th, but regaining unofficial status as the best player in the World on faster courts. She is currently a fair ways from both, especialy based on her performance last night.

Queenpova
Mar 28th, 2012, 06:35 PM
LOL

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1eu7kB3AE1qkhjjjo1_500.gif

Cosmic Voices
Mar 28th, 2012, 07:03 PM
lol the relevance of this thread now :facepalm:

Beat
Mar 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Ha but there are Woznaicki and Radwanska in the frame! Lol kidding :D.

priceless.

Ryusuke Tenma
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah, of course they will :lol: They're never getting that high in the rankings again :wavey: They are done. Their time is up :wavey:

gmokb
Mar 30th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I swear I am the biggest Williams sister fans and even I know that will not happen. It would be great but we must face reality. I know they will win titles and slams but not as frequently as before. Alas, the good old days are gone.

Rex59
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Venus won't, she doesn't look healthy.......