PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of the year again! That's right...it's Clay Time!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

The Kaz
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:12 AM
:woohoo:

Good Luck for this year Sam for the clay season... bring us a title or two (preferably RG no pressure ;))

Sam's Schedule

Charleston (Premier) - Result: Semi Final (lt. Serena Williams)
Stuttgart (Premier)
Madrid (Premier Mandatory)
Rome (Premier 5)
Roland Garros (Grand Slam)

:bounce:

Chris93
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:13 AM
:woohoo: Lets go Sam!

Grigorpova
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
My predictions are a final at Charleston, a win at Struttgart, a fourth round at Madrid, a semi-final at Rome and finally a win at Roland Gallos.

Siderophyre
Mar 28th, 2012, 12:34 PM
My predictions are a final at Charleston, a win at Struttgart, a fourth round at Madrid, a semi-final at Rome and finally a win at Roland Gallos.

Fantastic if you turn out to be right (:yeah:), but that would almost double the number of singles titles she's won in her whole career! I prefer to be cautiously optimistic to avoid searing disappointment. A repeat win in Charleston might be feasible.

SilverPersian
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Fantastic if you turn out to be right (:yeah:), but that would almost double the number of singles titles she's won in her whole career! I prefer to be cautiously optimistic to avoid searing disappointment. A win in Paris might be feasible.

Fixed :D

stromatolite
Mar 29th, 2012, 06:20 AM
I think Sam will beat Serena on clay, and I can't see anyone else in Charleston who she can't beat, so she should be favorite there. In Stuttgart Sam would probably still be seeded outside the top 4 and would need to get through a slam-like field before she's fully found her clay legs, so I don't expect too much there. Madrid is hardly even clay at all, so I think she will go there with a view to just keeping her arm in, but I expect her to have a good run again in Rome. If all goes to plan (that's always the case with Sam, right?;)) she should go into RG in peak form and blow the opposition away.

maturedgirl
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I think Sam will beat Serena on clay, and I can't see anyone else in Charleston who she can't beat,... she should go into RG in peak form and blow the opposition away.

I love fans beeing insomuch convinced and sure about success-Yeah! :woohoo:

sorry for sneaking in but I really like it and her:cool:

So GL for Sam:yeah:

stromatolite
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I love fans beeing insomuch convinced and sure about success-Yeah! :woohoo:

sorry for sneaking in but I really like it and her:cool:

So GL for Sam:yeah:

:lol: I think you missed the wink in my last sentence

Siderophyre
Mar 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Fixed :D

:lol: Well given that Paris is the site of the MOST searing of disappointments, I'll just stick to keeping my expectations low! :tennis:

Huntress55
Mar 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I dont want to expect too much but I cant help feeling confident for this clay season. Maybe because I think she surely cant do what she did last season :lol: But apart from Australia she hasnt been in too bad form, in her past two losses she showed good signs, especially against Serena. IF she can kick her serve back into action then she can do some real damage in the clay season.

Cant wait :)

stromatolite
Mar 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM
^I'm also quietly optimistic about Sam's clay prospects. I don't think she's been playing particularly well, but she's shown a lot of grit the last couple of months, and I think that's a good omen for clay-court success. Unlike faster surfaces, there are few if any players who can just blow Sam away on clay, so if she keeps fighting I think she should win a lot of matches. And if she can chalk up a good number of wins by fighting hard she should be able to play herself into decent form by the time RG comes around.

plokploky
Mar 29th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Sorry guys, but I'm rooting for petra to win stut. and madrid. BUT I'm hoping for sam to win charleston, rome and final in RG against petra(want sam to win, but just thinking about this match in my head gets me excited)

Make us proud sam.

tennisforadults
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I am hoping for a win in either Charleston, Stuttgart or Rome and definitely RG. :devil:

Come on, time to give the other girls some "sleepless nights" (quoting a badass Aussie swimmer).

stromatolite
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I am hoping for a win in either Charleston, Stuttgart or Rome and definitely RG. :devil:

Come on, time to give the other girls some "sleepless nights" (quoting a badass Aussie swimmer).

Sam is very good at giving people sleepless nights. Unfortunately that mainly applies to her fans :lol:

Huntress55
Mar 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Sam is very good at giving people sleepless nights. Unfortunately that mainly applies to her fans :lol:

:lol: So true.

She does cause a few sleepless nights for some players, unfortunately other players cause sleepless nights for her.

SilverPersian
Apr 1st, 2012, 03:16 AM
Here is Samambo's Charleston half
Lisicki v Bye
Falconi v Q
Q v Panova
King v Wickmayer

Petrova v Q
Tatishvili v Rus
Dubois v Vesnina
Bye v Bartoli

Jankovic v Bye
V Williams v Q
Rodionova v Erakovic
Q v Medina Garrigues

Scheepers v Q
Dokic v Voskoboeva
Hampton v Stephens
Bye v Stosur

If she's playing well, I think a freakishly in form Venus will be the only player in that half who can stop her. Could be a good chance to get some retribution for the travesty in Dubai against JJ.

Edit: Scheepers :help:
Editx2: Bepa is on the other side of the draw :devil:

Chris93
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:40 AM
Stephens or Hamton are going to be tough in the second aswell. But not sure how they are on clay. Im feeling good about this tournemnt though.

Huntress55
Apr 1st, 2012, 06:54 AM
Yeah its not a bad draw. I always fear seeing the draw for the first time but this wasnt too bad. Im not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing yet :p

stromatolite
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM
It will pretty much depend on Sam's form I think. Current Venus can't beat Sam playing well, neither can JJ, but both could test Sam if her level drops off. I think Sam can get past the likes of Hampton by hanging tough even if she's below par, and she won't be as kind to Scheepers if they meet againthis time. The biggest potential challenge in Sam's half is Nadia, but that would't be before the SF so probablt won't happen. I'm tipping a Serena-Sam final, with Sam the winner this time.

Siderophyre
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:16 PM
Well Aga has now withdrawn, so Serena has moved to Sam's half of the draw.

Petrova now in the other half...

stromatolite
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM
^Yes, Sam now gets both Venus and Serena in her half. Not too worried about Venus, but Serena in the SF will be challenging. I still like Sam's chances though. Serena is unlikely to serve as well as she did in Miami, and even if her groundies are better this time, overall I don't expect a better performance from her. There's a good chance Sam will play better this time though, especially since it's on clay. Of course it's quite possible one or both will lose before then.

tennisforadults
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:43 PM
One match at a time! Any improvement on last year's will be great! :sobbing:

SilverPersian
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM
Well Aga has now withdrawn, so Serena has moved to Sam's half of the draw.

Petrova now in the other half...

What?! :sobbing:

Oh well. If she is going to have a good claycourt season Serena's the kind of player she needs to beat.

She's not playing doubles this week which makes me think she's intending to have a deep run here :cheer:

Keadz
Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
I fancy her chances against Serena over Venus.

Will be interesting to see how she performs. An upset or two would be most welcome, but my hopes aren't high.

stromatolite
Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:28 AM
What?! :sobbing:

Oh well. If she is going to have a good claycourt season Serena's the kind of player she needs to beat.

She's not playing doubles this week which makes me think she's intending to have a deep run here :cheer:

Not sure whether playing doubles lately has hurt her singles results, but it certainly doesn't seem to have helped. Concentrating on singles might help her to focus a bit better.

SilverPersian
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:18 AM
Hampton won her first round match. I was going for Sloane because she is an inch shorter :bigcry:

Anyone seen Hampton play before? She had a good run at either IW or Miami, so she seems in form.

Edit: They're up fourth on centre court tomorrow - 3pm Charleston time.. I don't think there will be any streams until Thursday though :sad:

stromatolite
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:03 AM
^Hampton had a great run at IW, beating Hercog, Jankovic and Jarka before retiring in the third set against Aga. Sam will need to be on her guard for sure. I can't remember ever seeing her play.

The match is on at an okay time for me as long as the first three matchs don't take too long.

skymnos
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hampton won her first round match. I was going for Sloane because she is an inch shorter :bigcry:

Anyone seen Hampton play before? She had a good run at either IW or Miami, so she seems in form.

Edit: They're up fourth on centre court tomorrow - 3pm Charleston time.. I don't think there will be any streams until Thursday though :sad:

I saw her play Aga in Indian Wells. The first set was pretty much all Aga. But in the second set, Jamie was destroying her! Unfortunately, in the beginning of the third set she got cramps, the trainer was called on court (which wasn't allowed) and she was defaulted a couple of games. So, all of a sudden, Aga found herself 3-0 up in the decider, Jamie still couldn't move and retired. Aga was very lucky.

P.S. I hate nonexistent tv coverage! :fiery::fiery:

plokploky
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
I really don't think hampton's game works well on clay. She doesn't have the power to hit through it, and she didn't appear to have a lot of top spin in her game. She plays what I thought was a pretty good mix of offense and defense, and has good smashes and some amazing drop-shots and angles, but I don't think we should get worried for sam cause I think her balls may land a little too short with the massive amount of spin sam has.

She looked like she was dominating aga, because anyone can look like they're dominating aga, and yet she still wins, so I wouldn't take too much from that performance.

maturedgirl
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
stosur to serve now :cool:

plokploky
Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck. Not a great start.

Siderophyre
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck. Not a great start.

No, but it developed well. :D

Huntress55
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Just woke up... great score so far. Like a boss in the first set... and seems to be getting it one in the second at 5-2. Sam :)

Siderophyre
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Oh FFS. :facepalm:

plokploky
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
Id she can in this still in 2 sets, I'll forgive the choke, cause that 1st set looked nasty for hampton.

But if she has to take it to 3 sets...I'll be very very pissed.

Huntress55
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
She certainly likes to keep it interesting.

Siderophyre
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
She certainly likes to keep it interesting.

That's one way of putting it.. :lol:

Huntress55
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Well she wrapped it up in straights so thats good. Little hiccup at the end but all is good :)

plokploky
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Few. OK crisis averted. If she plays like in the first set - massive assumption she played well I know - she can win this.

stromatolite
Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
Whew! I did not want that to go to a third set, I really didn't. Weird scoreline. Hard to say what was going on, but my guess is that Hampton was going for broke on her serve, which only started firing in the second set. I think Sam would have won a third set if it had come to that, but I'm very pleased she didn't have to.

tennisforadults
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:06 AM
So Sam plays Voskoboeva next?

Ben.
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Either her or Ormaechea.

Ben.
Apr 4th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Nice to see Sam get on the board with a win :)

SilverPersian
Apr 4th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Go SamSam :cheer:

Was her second serve working again?

stromatolite
Apr 4th, 2012, 06:32 AM
^In the first set not at all, but at the start of the second set she was winning all her second serve points. Unfortunately it seemed to go off the boil a bit towards the end, which is probably part of the reason why she struggled to close it out. I had the impression that Hampton was serving very well for most of the second set. Except for the 2 games when she was broken she seemed to be holding more comfortably than Sam.

SilverPersian
Apr 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
When you say it wasn't working in the first set, do you mean it wasn't effective, or that she was hitting a truckload of DFs again? :sobbing:

stromatolite
Apr 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Not DFs, she had just 2 for the match I think (1 in each set), but she won just 1 or 2 points off her second serve in the entire first set. Apparently something clicked in the second set, because for a long time she had won 100% of her second serve points (compared to something like 60-65% of first serve points). As I said, that dropped off later in the set, but fortunately nowhere near as bad as in the first set.

Correction: I just checked, she hit just 1 DF for the match, in the very first game.

SilverPersian
Apr 4th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Not DFs, she had just 2 for the match I think (1 in each set), but she won just 1 or 2 points off her second serve in the entire first set. Apparently something clicked in the second set, because for a long time she had won 100% of her second serve points (compared to something like 60-65% of first serve points). As I said, that dropped off later in the set, but fortunately nowhere near as bad as in the first set.

Correction: I just checked, she hit just 1 DF for the match, in the very first game.

I love trying to interpret how matches are progressing over livescoreboard.

How on Earth did Sam manage to be so random :lol:

At least the DF jitters from Miami seem to have gone then.

stromatolite
Apr 4th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I love trying to interpret how matches are progressing over livescoreboard.

How on Earth did Sam manage to be so random :lol:

At least the DF jitters from Miami seem to have gone then.

There might be a connection. DFs don't always mean Sam's serving badly (up to a point at least). They're usually an indication that she's really going for big second serves. Maybe she got a bit too conservative after the DF-fest in Miami and was therefore giving Hampton too easy a target. But as you said this is pure speculation based on nothing more than a few little numbers in a rectangular box. Maybe her second serves in set 1 were so great that Hampton framed every single one into the opposite corner. :lol:

SilverPersian
Apr 5th, 2012, 03:39 AM
There might be a connection. DFs don't always mean Sam's serving badly (up to a point at least). They're usually an indication that she's really going for big second serves. Maybe she got a bit too conservative after the DF-fest in Miami and was therefore giving Hampton too easy a target. But as you said this is pure speculation based on nothing more than a few little numbers in a rectangular box. Maybe her second serves in set 1 were so great that Hampton framed every single one into the opposite corner. :lol:

Yes I think you're probably right - she became a little too passive with the second serve in the first set because of what happened the previous week.

The Big Vee just steamrolled JJ, so assuming Rodionova doesn't beat her (:help:) she's going to be waiting for Sam in the quarters, and is looking in much better form than I would have expected :sobbing:

tennisforadults
Apr 5th, 2012, 03:48 AM
The last time Sam got rolled by Venus on clay in Madrid QF, she went on to reach RG final. :angel:

Not too worried. :lol:

SilverPersian
Apr 5th, 2012, 04:15 AM
The last time Sam got rolled by Venus on clay in Madrid QF, she went on to reach RG final. :angel:

Not too worried. :lol:

Good point :yeah:

Although if Sammy wants to win this title she's probably going to have to become one of only three or four players who have beaten both Williams sisters in the one tournament :sad:

Huntress55
Apr 5th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Venus is looking better than I thought she would but if Sam does face her Im quietly confident. I dont think it would be a repeat of Madrid.

stromatolite
Apr 5th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I think that the main thing is that Sam keeps a cool head and doesn't start thinking she has to do something special to beat Venus. Beating Jankovic in her current form is hardly proof that Venus is in peak form herself. As long as Sam serves well and can force Venus to run a bit I think she will be too good. But first things first, she has to get past Voskoboeva tonight before she starts thinking about Venus.

Although if Sammy wants to win this title she's probably going to have to become one of only three or four players who have beaten both Williams sisters in the one tournament :sad:

Good point. Compare that with the cakewalk (no pun intended) Bartoli has to the final (even so, she's making heavy weather of it so far, and given her questionable fitness I have serious doubts as to whether she'll recover sufficiently from her 3-hour marathon last night to beat Hercog tonight).

tennisforadults
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Sam is 4-2 up. But match suspended. Not sure what's going on?

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Rain I think. On the website it says for weather "thunder in the vicinity", and the forecast is for storms. Hope Sam can finish this match tonight, she doesn't want to double up tomorrow, especially with Venus waiting in the QF.

Molly M
Apr 6th, 2012, 01:30 AM
@FamilyCircleCup
Raining now, but radar shows worst cell passing soon. Will keep you informed on weather updates.

Oh noooo, rain. :(

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Um. I'm pretty sure this is just the complete and utter bullshit program that was made to piss Stosur fans off, and it will be fixed sometime soon :mad::fiery:
http://www.familycirclecup.com/pages/articles/20120405214554.pdf

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 03:13 AM
This really sucks. What's worse, the weather forecast for tomorrow is awful: 60-70% rain chance in the morning and early afternoon, conditions going from 18 degrees with 13km/h wind at 5am to 11-12 degrees with 32km/h wind at 11 am when Sam is due to play, with no improvement due before the early evening.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 03:33 AM
I kind of hope it does rain on and off so that Sam has time to beat Voksoboeva, but then doesn't have to play Venus until the following day.

Although, on the other hand, I wonder how Vee will handle the wind and cold after such a long time away from competitive match play...

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 06:51 AM
^That would mean that Sam would have to try to beat Venus and Serena on the same day.:scared: Not sure whether that's ever been done.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM
^That would mean that Sam would have to try to beat Venus and Serena on the same day.:scared: Not sure whether that's ever been done.

Hmm, good point.

So we need to invoke the power of God, Satan, Dionysus or whoever controls the weather to leave exactly enough time for Sam to win one match a day, but to immediately make play impossible after that :cheer:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hmm, good point.

So we need to invoke the power of God, Satan, Dionysus or whoever controls the weather to leave exactly enough time for Sam to win one match a day, but to immediately make play impossible after that :cheer:

:lol: I put my soul in hock to the devil every time Sam plays, not sure he's falling for it anymore ;)

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Sammy at 5-2 :cheer:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Takes the first set 6-3, on her third set point :cheer:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Whew, Sam hold to take the set 6-3. An early break would be nice now.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:24 PM
The weather forecast has been revised a little, at least in terms of rain chances. Still very cold and windy though.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM
:rain:Yeah I looked at what google was saying about the weather, and they said it was 11C in Charleston :rain:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Three BPs straight away :cheer:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM
woohoo, Sam breaks to love to take an early lead in set 2! :cheer:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM
...and immediately goes down a BP herself :sobbing:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Mini-wobble from Sam, but she holds for 2-0

SilverPersian
2-0 :banana:

stromatolite
I will breathe a lot easier if she can get another break now.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM
No such luck:( Sam has to be a bit careful now.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Pretty comfortable hold despite 2 DFs. 3-1. Go Sammy!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Come on Sammy. Make it two breaks. You know you want to.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Damn! Came close to the double break. :(

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM
3-2

I really hope these untaken double BPs don't come back to bite her later in the set :sobbing:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
0-30 :( Careful now Sam!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
...0-30 :(

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM
...0-40....

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM
0-40 :( :( :(

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Get your first serve in Sam

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
40-30...

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Damn!!!! 2 BPs saved but still back to 3-3. She badly needs to bounce stright back with a rebreak!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:54 PM
3-3 :facepalm:

Come on Sammy. Wrap this up quickly - it's 2am in Australia already and if you win I'll have to get up again about two hours after this match :sobbing:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
15-30, come on Sammy!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
BP :cheer:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
DF gives Sam a BP. Pounce Sam!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Deuce :(

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Damn, 3-4, Voskoboeva draws ahead in the set for the first time :(

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:58 PM
4-3

If she'd just taken one of those 2nd BP opportunities like we kindly suggested she wouldn't be in this situation :sobbing:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Sam needs to get her serve working now, another break and Voskoboeva will serve for the set.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM
4-3

If she'd just taken one of those 2nd BP opportunities like we kindly suggested she wouldn't be in this situation :sobbing:

She's just not listening is she? :lol:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Good hold in the end from 15-30, but she's having to work harder to hold than I'd like. She reall;y needs to break now to take the pressure of her next service game.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Voskoboeva hold to love, as far as I can recall for the first time in the match. Not the kind of momentum shift I was waiting for :(

Siderophyre
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:08 PM
weather probably a factor - cold, damp - ball not kicking up as much.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Jesus, 2 setpoints for Voskoboeva :(

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Set gone :sobbing:

weather probably a factor - cold, damp - ball not kicking up as much.

I'm sure you're right. Time for Sam to show some of that fighting spirit again.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM
This is not the way things were supposed to pan out. Regroup Sammy!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I am dead.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Suddenly Voskoboeva seems to be cruising.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM
1-0 Galina holds comfortably

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Solid hold to 15 from Sam. Hopefully that'll stop the rot a bit.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM
How heavy are 23km/h winds? :unsure:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM
...and suddenly Sam can't win any points off Galina's serve :(:(:(

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Voskoboeva holds to love :(. Up until a few games ago Sam was at least taking her to deuce on pretty much every service game. Now she's won just 1 return point so far this set. This is looking ominous.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:22 PM
How heavy are 23km/h winds? :unsure:

NNot as bad as the 35km/h they were forecasting, but still enough to make things tricky.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Love hold from Sammy :cheer: At least she's found her serve again.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Come on Sam 0-15 let's make this happen

stromatolite
0-30! Come on Sam, this is the first sniff of a chance you've had for last half hour, don't squander it!

stromatolite
0-40!!!

SilverPersian
0-30

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
^_______^

Now let's all watch her get broken immediately just to make life more interesting for us all :D

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Df! Out of the blue Sam breaks to love! Now hang on to it for fuck's sake Sammy!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM
15-30 :sobbing:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM
15-30 :facepalm:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM
woohoo, another hold from 15-30 down. Tough cookie our Sammy!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM
4-2 :cheer:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Er, Sam, this might be a good time to get another break, what do you think?

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:31 PM
We need the stern authority of Towanda to make sure Sam listens to her orders and breaks again.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:33 PM
^Yeah, she certainly doesn't respect my authoritah....

or does she? BP!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Eep. BP. TAKE IT SAM TAKE IT TAKE IT

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
...or don't, whatever.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Woohoo 5-2 :D

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
woooohooooo!!!! Sam takes it on the 4th BP for 5-2. Now serve it out for christ's sake Sam so SilverPersian can get some shuteye before you play Venus!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:40 PM
woooohooooo!!!! Sam takes it on the 4th BP for 5-2. Now serve it out for christ's sake Sam so SilverPersian can get some shuteye before you play Venus!

For the love of God this! No unnecessarily dramatic tiebreaks :sobbing:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM
30-0. 2 points Sam, you can do it!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM
3 MPs. Put this to bed now Sam Stosur!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM
woooohoooo!!!!!! Way to go Sammy! :worship:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Tsh, Serves it out like a pro. Don't know why we were so worried :sobbing:

Well, this performance hasn't exactly overwhelmed me with confidence, but I will see you all in a couple of hours to watch Sam take on Venus.

Or, in other words, "screw you guys, I'm going to bed" :wavey:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Tsh, Serves it out like a pro. Don't know why we were so worried :sobbing:

Well, this performance hasn't exactly overwhelmed me with confidence, but I will see you all in a couple of hours to watch Sam take on Venus.

Or, in other words, "screw you guys, I'm going to bed" :wavey:

:lol: sleep well, you've earned it!

Siderophyre
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Well held! :D

annetcl
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Phew! That was full of suspense for sure! Apparently really cold out there today. Sammy had a long sleeve top on top of her usual dress. Hopefully the Serena match will be long one! Not much hope though:(

Siderophyre
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:45 PM
^Yeah, she certainly doesn't respect my authoritah....

or does she? BP!

:happy: One of my fave SP episodes...

annetcl
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:48 PM
TATtweets (@TATtweets)
4/6/12 5:43 PM
Stosur finally won 6-3, 4-6, 6-2. She finished the match how she started today - hitting deep in the court and finishing points at the net

This is at least reassuring :)

Go Sammy!!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hard to say how this match will work for Sam. On one hand she'll be more used to the conditions than Venus. On the other hand, playing in such cold conditions is bound to be tough on Sam's body, and under these circumstances it seems less than ideal for Sam to have to go back out after just a couple of hours. Hopefully she'll still be loose enough to go for her shots.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM
:happy: One of my fave SP episodes...

Bingo! We need to recruit Cartman into Sam's family of fans. He won't take the kind of crap from her that we do :lol:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM
TATtweets (@TATtweets)
4/6/12 5:43 PM
Stosur finally won 6-3, 4-6, 6-2. She finished the match how she started today - hitting deep in the court and finishing points at the net

This is at least reassuring :)

Go Sammy!!

This sounds good for sure!

annetcl
Apr 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hard to say how this match will work for Sam. On one hand she'll be more used to the conditions than Venus. On the other hand, playing in such cold conditions is bound to be tough on Sam's body, and under these circumstances it seems less than ideal for Sam to have to go back out after just a couple of hours. Hopefully she'll still be loose enough to go for her shots.

Hopefully closing out the last set well plus the good serve stats especially in the third will give her some confidence going into the match later.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Oh dear, Sabine has retired against Serena. Sam's rest looks like being very short.

annetcl
Apr 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Oh dear, Sabine has retired against Serena. Sam's rest looks like being very short.

Simon Reed just said Sam's match will not start for another forty mins. Apparently she told organizers she won't play any earlier than that irregardless if the Serena's match ends early. So any 30 mins to rest. Poor Sabine :(

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Simon Reed just said Sam's match will not start for another forty mins. Apparently she told organizers she won't play any earlier than that irregardless if the Serena's match ends early. So any 30 mins to rest. Poor Sabine :(

Good for you Sam! Don't let them push you around!

annetcl
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Good for you Sam! Don't let them push you around!
:yeah:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Good service game from Sam to open proceedings!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM
2-1 Go SamSam

I feel a bit bad cheering against Vee. She seems like a really mellow and lovely person.

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Not doing too badly, is she? :cheer:

Ah, SilverPersian. I was wondering if you managed to wake up for this :p

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Welcome back SilverPersian. get any sleep?

Towanda
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
2-1 Go SamSam

I feel a bit bad cheering against Vee. She seems like a really mellow and lovely person.

yeah, I agree, I've always liked Venus. I look at it as cheering for Sam though, not cheering against Venus. There are certainly players that I blatantly cheer against, but Venus isn't one of them. I would like Sam to take his handily but I don't want Venus to be humiliated.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Not doing too badly, is she? :cheer:

Ah, SilverPersian. I was wondering if you managed to wake up for this :p

I had to keep checking my phone every fifteen minutes after Sabine retired because I had no idea when this was going to start. My "sleep" was not very successful at all :sobbing: But it's a long weekend so it's all fine :)

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Sam managing to put some pressure on Venus' serve, but not breaking through.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM
2-2

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:07 PM
3-2. Pretty high level of play from Sam so far, hope she can keep it up.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:10 PM
0-30...

stromatolite
0-40! Come on Sammy (like others, I'm cheering for Sam, not against Vee;))

SilverPersian
0-40 :inlove:

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Sam breaks for 4-2 :cheer:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM
:cheer::banana::inlove:

Just two more holds Samantha!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM
A few people on Na Mug's thread said that doubling up might actually help Sam. So far it looks like they might be right. She's in the zone, and Vee's struggling with the conditions. Still, early days ....

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Sam's forehand is working like a charm :hearts:

sunsets21
YES! One more game, Sammy!

sunsets21
Oh, Sammy :inlove:

Siderophyre
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:14 PM
:d:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM
A few people on Na Mug's thread said that doubling up might actually help Sam. So far it looks like they might be right. She's in the zone, and Vee's struggling with the conditions. Still, early days ....

dsanders is my personal hero for the day for calling out all of the Serena fans who complain endlessly about the scheduling at the USO, but then acted like nothing was wrong about the position Sam is in today :worship:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Love hold for Venus. Sam has to serve it out :scared:

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM
5-3

Come on Sam. Stay strong and hold serve :D

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Noooooooooooooooo! This Is Not The Time For A Df!

stromatolite
Can't buy a first serve :(

SilverPersian
Df :(

15-30...

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Do this, Sambo!

stromatolite
Cool Sam! Set point!

SilverPersian
30-30

Two aces Sam. DO IT NOW.

sunsets21
Yesssssssssssssss! 6-3!!!!!

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:21 PM
:inlove::inlove::inlove:

stromatolite
woohoooo!!! Sammy takes a set off Venus, that's a milestone right there :) Now finish the job Sam!

Siderophyre
Yes!

SilverPersian
:inlove:

Well that set was surprisingly lacking in headcasery. I give you an A+ Samantha Jane :yeah:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
dsanders is my personal hero for the day for calling out all of the Serena fans who complain endlessly about the scheduling at the USO, but then acted like nothing was wrong about the position Sam is in today :worship:

:lol: Yes, I believe today was the first time I've ever given a :yeah: to dsanders.

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Beautiful point!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Venus is showing flashes of what she's capable of, but she's not able to deliver consistently enough to bother Sam atm.

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Another BP! Do this, Sambo!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:25 PM
2 BPs!!! Come on Sammy!!

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
:cheer::cheer:

*1-0!

stromatolite
Early break for Sam :cheer: Don't let up Sam, this one is yours!

Towanda
poor Venus....but I really like how Sam's playing....she's looking really good

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:27 PM
0-1 :cheer:

It always makes me nervous when she breaks this early in a set.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Venus showing why she's always dangerous

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM
poor Venus....but I really like how Sam's playing....she's looking really good

:sad:

I wish both of them could win. Best case scenario is that Sam wins today, but Vee goes on and has a great rest of the year (although preferably losing to Sam every time they meet :lol:).

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM
:bigcry: It was too good to be true. Keep your cool now Sam!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM
1-1 :sobbing:

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Bollocks.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Sam looking to be forcing a bit now. :( She needs to take a few deep breaths and relax a bit.

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Good shot! Brings it to deuce :yeah:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Sam really attacking those second serves :hearts:

Towanda
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:33 PM
:sad:

I wish both of them could win. Best case scenario is that Sam wins today, but Vee goes on and has a great rest of the year (although preferably losing to Sam every time they meet :lol:).

Maybe Sam can win Roland Garros, and Venus can win Wimbledon? If that happens, I won't even care what happens the rest of the year.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Another BP! Come on Sam!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:34 PM
BP :cheer:

sunsets21
Wow. Pretty nice save from Vee to bring it back to deuce.

stromatolite
Great play by Venus under pressure :worship:

stromatolite
Another BP :unsure:

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Well done, Sambo!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
woohoo! Now hang on to your serve Sam!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Go SamSam :cheer:

2-1 with a break (...again :sobbing:)

Towanda
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:37 PM
now Sam needs an easy hold so we can know that that last service game was just a minor headcasery

stromatolite
Sam still looking pretty composed

sunsets21
Maybe Sam can win Roland Garros, and Venus can win Wimbledon? If that happens, I won't even care what happens the rest of the year.

Wellllllllll I wouldn't mind if she defends her USO title :angel:

stromatolite
Spoke too soon, what a fluff :lol:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Oh god, 2 BPs again. (bit unlucky, the first point should have been hers)

Towanda
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
now Sam needs an easy hold so we can know that that last service game was just a minor headcasery

fuck

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Fortune favours the brave. 1 BP saved

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:40 PM
40-40 :cheer:

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM
fuck

:lol:

Very well said :p

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Need to stop giving Venus half-court balls. Keep em deep Sam!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Not that deep! :lol:

stromatolite
Bugger! :(

SilverPersian
2-2 :(

sunsets21
I quote Towanda: fuck.

stromatolite
This is turning into more of a dogfight now.

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Relax, Sambo...

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Venus is definitely starting to hit the ball a lot better now, and Sam's level has dropped off.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
3-2

Towanda
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I quote Towanda: fuck.

:lol: sometimes that's all that needs to be said

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Time to show us what you're made of Sammy!

Towanda
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Wellllllllll I wouldn't mind if she defends her USO title :angel:

I wouldn't mind that either, but I also kinda want Clijsters to get one more before she retires. If they end up in the final against each other I'm not gonna know which one to cheer for.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Didn't need that DF :(

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Too wild Sam!

sunsets21
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Bollocks!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Sammy's lost the plot at the moment. She's rushing her shots, and looks tight. Settle down Sam, you can still win this!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
:bigcry:

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Balls that were hitting the lines before are just going out now :bigcry: She needs to regroup fast!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I think in the past year she's demonstrated a very good ability to kind of "reset" for the third set of matches, so hopefully she can flick that switch today. Although breaking immediately back here would be even better.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:56 PM
5-2 :sobbing:

This is happening very quickly.

Towanda
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Sam, sweetie, get your service game together....I don't even care if you lose this set, just get your service game back on track and hold! You haven't even held serve once on this set! Hold your serve and get back on track for the third set!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I still think Sammy is favorite to win this match as long as she doesn't panic. She's making life too easy for Venus atm, but if she can start to put on a bit of pressure I'm pretty sure cracks will appear in Venus' game.

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Excellent defense Sam!

Towanda
nice!

stromatolite
Good hold under pressure. This gives her some kind of platform to regroup.

SilverPersian
5-3

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:01 PM
0-30! Come on Sam!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Deep breath Sam!

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:02 PM
15-40! Take this Sammy!

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM
15-40

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:04 PM
yessss!!!!! Back on serve!

Towanda
YES!! Back on serve!

sunsets21
YES! Well done Sambo!

SilverPersian
5-4

I am dead again.

NOW HOLD SAMANTHA JANE STOSUR. THAT IS AN ORDER.

SilverPersian
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
30-15

stromatolite
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:08 PM
the old one-two (serve out wide, winner in the other corner) is starting to work again