PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of the year again! That's right...it's Clay Time!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Siderophyre
May 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM
6-3!

Well, Sam has wrapped up the first set in just over half an hour while clearly playing well below her best. Suppose we ought to be happy with that. Hope for a better showing in set 2 though.

Hmmmmm. Maybe like the McHale third set?

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Hmmmmm. Maybe like the McHale third set?

Would be nice :drool:

tenniscrazy84
May 9th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Nope :sad:

http://serve.mysmiley.net/sad/sad0122.gif (http://www.footballerpictures.co.uk)

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM
1-1

tenniscrazy84
May 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM
1-1*

Huntress55
May 9th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I want to see a few more aces (from Sam of course:p)

Break time Sam.

tenniscrazy84
May 9th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Nice service game, apparently...

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sam's not getting onto Petra's second serve as much as she should. 8 out of 14 sounds pretty good until you realize that 5 of those points were DFs.

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
2-1 Sammy with a break :yeah:

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Break! Let it be decisive, please Sam. Save any additional drama for the QF if necessary, just finish this one nice and quick.

Huntress55
May 9th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Oops first DF.

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
15-40 :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Sammmmm. I forbid you from losing serve.

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM
40-40 :d

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Nice to see Sam hitting some aces, but I'd prefer it if she didn't need them to save BPs.

tenniscrazy84
May 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
3-1* :)

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
3-1

Petra's 1/8 on BP opportunities. Sam keeping her BP saving face on.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Phew, made hard work of that service game, but at least she held. Still, it's frustrating to see her still struggling on serve. It seemed to be working like a charm in the final set against McHale, and in her doubles match. How can it go off the boil again just like that?

tenniscrazy84
May 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM
*3-2

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Easy hold for Petra, Sam has to watch out a bit here or the momentum could shift.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Big petra is struggling a bit atm against her countrywoman. Comforting that Sam isn't the only one having problems :lol:

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Big petra is struggling a bit atm against her countrywoman. Comforting that Sam isn't the only one having problems :lol:

Hradecka beat Kvitova the last time they played. So I'm hopeful.

Although Hradecka wouldn't be easy on these courts either.

tenniscrazy84
May 9th, 2012, 02:50 PM
4-2*

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Phew, relatively comfortable hold for a change. Now force the double break Sammy!

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:51 PM
4-2 :)

Huntress55
Cmon Sam another break would make things easier.

stromatolite

Very true :unsure:

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Gotta love li'l Petra for all these DFs :lol:

Huntress55
Serve it out Sam!

tenniscrazy84
*5-2

SilverPersian
5-2

Are we going to see a mythical no-headcasery set from Sammy! :D

sunsets21
May 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Just came home and saw the score. Glad to know it's seemingly an easy match from Sam :yeah:

stromatolite
Nice Sam (even if Petra did most of the work)! Now serve it out, please?

Huntress55

True, although Lucie can produce alot of errors as well. It depends on how she is playing. Would be easy of her to come down after a win against Petra.. if that is the case. Its early days for that match afterall.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
To be fair to Sam, I think she can take at least a little bit of credit for all these DFs. She is building up a reputation as a very aggressive returner, so I think her opponents often go for a bit more than they're comfortable with on the second serve.

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Kvitova's hit 5DFs :unsure:

I guess it must be windy...

True, although Lucie can produce alot of errors as well. It depends on how she is playing. Would be easy of her to come down after a win against Petra.. if that is the case. Its early days for that match afterall

True. And it would be a big thing for Hradecka to be in the QFs of a Premier Mandatory, so she'd probably (hopefully) be a bit nervous.

Huntress55
May 9th, 2012, 02:56 PM
GSM!

Its hard to say if Sam played better or what. Petra did have 8 DFs but after a few struggles on her serve in the first set she seemed to ease into the match better. I guess we'll see how she really feels about the courts in the next match which better be freaking televised or streamed!

Huntress55
Thats the same scoreline as Doha isnt it?

tenniscrazy84
6-3 6-2 :)

SilverPersian
63 62 :inlove:

stromatolite
woohoo!!! DF aside, a refreshingly painless serving out of the match by Sammy. Nice! :worship:

Siderophyre
May 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Good, good. Onward and upward...

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 02:59 PM
First QF at a Premier Mandatory since 2010 :D

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Funny thought that Sammy already has her QF spot, whereas big Petra has to win another match tomorrow if she can dig her way out of the hole she's in in this match (I assume she will, but still, she's got it all still to do).

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 03:00 PM
First QF at a Premier Mandatory since 2010 :D

Woohoo!!! :cheer: :aparty:

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Hradecka a set and a break up.

If she wins, we just need Woz to take out Serena and Masha, and NaNa to take out Vika and ARad...that's not asking too much, right? :bigcry:

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM
^yes, big Petra is in a deep hole right now, not sure if she can dig her way out of this one if Hradecka continues to serve well.

Of course I assume Woz will beat Ree and Masha, and looks like NaNa is back to GOAT mode, so everything is going nicely according to plan (cut to scene of evil scientist wringing his hands and laughing maniacally)

Siderophyre
May 9th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hradecka a set and a break up.

If she wins, we just need Woz to take out Serena and Masha, and NaNa to take out Vika and ARad...that's not asking too much, right? :bigcry:

We DESERVE some good luck!

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Sam would have expected to play a tall lefty if she reached the QF, and it looks likely that that will be the case, but it doesn't look like it's going to be the one she expected.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Who'd a thunk it, Kvitova out in straight sets to Hradecka!

Siderophyre
May 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM
At least she's beaten Lucie before. :)

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I'm slightly more worried about Ekat tbh. I think these courts will suit her game really nicely

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Sam would have expected to play a tall lefty if she reached the QF, and it looks likely that that will be the case, but it doesn't look like it's going to be the one she expected.

This section is turning out weirdly. It looks like Hradecka will have to get through Makarova rather than MKiri in the third round - and I don't think she will do this. Makarova is an amazing counterpuncher. She also beat Sam at Eastbourne a couple of years ago.

So I am predicting a random Sam-Makarova QF.

EDIT: Just steal my point stromatolite :bigcry:

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 03:44 PM
This section is turning out weirdly. It looks like Hradecka will have to get through Makarova rather than MKiri in the third round - and I don't think she will do this. Makarova is an amazing counterpuncher. She also beat Sam at Eastbourne a couple of years ago.

Could be very tough if it comes to that.

Siderophyre
May 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I thought that if Sam had any chance of getting the number 4 spot it would be by passing Aga. But passing Petra would be the more likely scenario now - if it happens at all (no jinx here...).

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Could be very tough if it comes to that.

Yeah, Makarova just loves quietly pwning a whole bunch of top tenners without anyone noticing.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I thought that if Sam had any chance of getting the number 4 spot it would be by passing Aga. But passing Petra would be the more likely scenario now - if it happens at all (no jinx here...).

This helps her cause for sure. I haven't done the sums, but if she could reach the SF the gap would have to be pretty narrow. Unfortunately she's defending a shitload of points in Rome next week, so she really needs a good run this week.

Huntress55
May 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM
If it comes to Sam playing Makarova Id still be quietly confident. What a random qf opponent Sam will have though.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 03:51 PM
it's official, Ekat beats Mkiri 6-4 6-4, so two unfancied lefties will fight it out for the right to play Sam in the QF

SilverPersian
May 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Hm, I'm not sure who I want Sam to play out of those two. They're both potentially very dangerous. There's more of a chance that Hradecka will blow Sam away; but also more chance that she'll crash out and play terribly. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Huntress55
May 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
This helps her cause for sure. I haven't done the sums, but if she could reach the SF the gap would have to be pretty narrow. Unfortunately she's defending a shitload of points in Rome next week, so she really needs a good run this week.

Petra sits on 6250 points. And Sam on 5435 as of right now according to TBE ranking thread. This is with the Rome points off.

So SF would get Sam to 5635
F 5885
W 6185
Still behind Petra unfortunately.

Petra didnt play Rome last year so she didnt lose many points. She did play some ITF thing where she got 100 points from right before FO. So thats all she lost.

Huntress55
May 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Hm, I'm not sure who I want Sam to play out of those two. They're both potentially very dangerous. There's more of a chance that Hradecka will blow Sam away; but also more chance that she'll crash out and play terribly. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I know. It could be tough either way. Lucie can make quite a few UEs, shes abit of a ballbasher afterall. Ekat well she pulls off quite a few upsets but its quite likely she plays her next match quite terrible. We'll see.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Petra sits on 6250 points. And Sam on 5435 as of right now according to TBE ranking thread. This is with the Rome points off.

So SF would get Sam to 5635
F 5885
W 6185
Still behind Petra unfortunately.

Petra didnt play Rome last year so she didnt lose many points. She did play some ITF thing where she got 100 points from right before FO. So thats all she lost.

So Sam pretty much needs to reach the final this week and next to have any chance of going to RG in the top 4. Not impossible, but a tough ask for sure.

Huntress55
May 9th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Yep a very tough ask. But at least Rome wont be on blue clay :)

Aga said its basically hardcourts with powder on top :p

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 04:05 PM

I somehow see Makarova returning Sam's serve better than I think Hradecka would, and I think Sam's serving will be the key to the match either way. It didn't look like she served that well today tbh, especially the percentage of points won on her second serve needed to be higher. Contrary to what some have reported, the courts are bouncing high (even Sharapova looked like she had a kick serve against Zakapolova :lol:), so Sam's kicker should be deadly really. I hope it's Lucie.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Yep a very tough ask. But at least Rome wont be on blue clay :)

Aga said its basically hardcourts with powder on top :p

That's how it looks for sure. Recipe for injuries, so whatever happens I hope Sam is careful :unsure:

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Sam and Julia lost their doubles match against Peschke/Srebotnik 2-6 6-3 7-10. I have the feeling that this scoreline might have flattered them a bit. I followed most of the second set on livescores, and for most of that set (the only one they won) Peschke en Srebotnik seemed to have the better of the play, S&J just got a break (from deuce) at the right time and hung on to it grimly to take the set. Still, not too bad against the #2 seeds and Wimbledon champs :)

bertisonline
May 9th, 2012, 10:08 PM
:lol: What a surprise, Sam is serving first again. I wonder why they even bother to toss for her matches.

Are there official statistics about it? It should be documented.
I feel like Sam is winning the toss 90% of the time. And choose to serve first 100% of the time. :lol:
B.

stromatolite
May 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Are there official statistics about it? It should be documented.
I feel like Sam is winning the toss 90% of the time. And choose to serve first 100% of the time. :lol:
B.

I really can't remember the last time Sam didn't serve first. I think the routine is as follows: if Sam wins the toss, she backs herself and chooses to serve. If she loses the toss, her opponent thinks: the best way to beat Sammy is to break her serve, and the best chance of doing that is in the first game when she's still a bit cold. So they choose to receive.

annetcl
May 9th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Busy travelling for work today so couldn't participate on the livescore "watchathon" but always "pleasing" so see Sam win rather comfortably (at least from the score) but thanks to you guys' game by game commentary seems like Petra give Sam quite a few free points.

Catching up on twitter now and found some interesting bits of information from someone who has been attending the Madrid Masters this week:

"HL of the day (from yesterday) was by far the Gools-Stosur practice. Gools missing easy shots, getting pissed at herself while Sam laughs.Then there was the time where Gools shanked a ball into the water and lost it laughing. Bless.Sam looked good! Gools was a mess and Sam found it rather amusing."

"I'm looking forward to a Gools tweet later. When she's calmed down. Lost her shit during the dubs & refused to shake umps hand. It was when she & Sam were MP down. She hit a ball that was called out, argued with ump about it. He called GSM.. to Kveta and Katarina and she lost it at him and refused to shake his hand.Sam wasn't bothered. She was chatting with fans after the match, threw one her towel etc. Gools intense as ever."

Our Sammy - as laid back as ever ;)

Siderophyre
May 9th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I really can't remember the last time Sam didn't serve first. I think the routine is as follows: if Sam wins the toss, she backs herself and chooses to serve. If she loses the toss, her opponent thinks: the best way to beat Sammy is to break her serve, and the best chance of doing that is in the first game when she's still a bit cold. So they choose to receive.

True. I think they are just copying Sharapova's strategy - she frequently opts to receive. Whenever Sam plays her I assume she'll be serving first.

SilverPersian
May 10th, 2012, 04:10 AM
The US Open champion will now face either No.3 seed Petra Kvitova or Maria Kirilenko for a place in the semi-finals.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/stosur-through-to-the-madrid-quarters-20120510-1ydv3.html

Love newspapers that check their facts :lol:

Busy travelling for work today so couldn't participate on the livescore "watchathon" but always "pleasing" so see Sam win rather comfortably (at least from the score) but thanks to you guys' game by game commentary seems like Petra give Sam quite a few free points.

Catching up on twitter now and found some interesting bits of information from someone who has been attending the Madrid Masters this week:

"HL of the day (from yesterday) was by far the Gools-Stosur practice. Gools missing easy shots, getting pissed at herself while Sam laughs.Then there was the time where Gools shanked a ball into the water and lost it laughing. Bless.Sam looked good! Gools was a mess and Sam found it rather amusing."

"I'm looking forward to a Gools tweet later. When she's calmed down. Lost her shit during the dubs & refused to shake umps hand. It was when she & Sam were MP down. She hit a ball that was called out, argued with ump about it. He called GSM.. to Kveta and Katarina and she lost it at him and refused to shake his hand.Sam wasn't bothered. She was chatting with fans after the match, threw one her towel etc. Gools intense as ever."

Our Sammy - as laid back as ever

:lol:

I don't think Sammy would appreciate playing with someone who gets fired up so easily. I wonder if this will be the last time Sam and Julia play.

Huntress55
May 10th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I don't think Sammy would appreciate playing with someone who gets fired up so easily. I wonder if this will be the last time Sam and Julia play.

I dont know. Maybe its a good balance. Maybe Sam enjoys being the calm one and seeing someone else get frustrated :lol:

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 06:15 AM
True. I think they are just copying Sharapova's strategy - she frequently opts to receive. Whenever Sam plays her I assume she'll be serving first.

Yes, and she probably read it in Brad Gilbert's book. One of his golden rules for winning ugly: NEVER serve first.

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Our Sammy - as laid back as ever ;)

I dont know. Maybe its a good balance. Maybe Sam enjoys being the calm one and seeing someone else get frustrated :lol:

I agree. At heart I think Julia is a sweetheart, she's just a little fiery (a bit like Jarka in that respect). And they seem to get along well enough together. As you say, maybe the contrasting personalities work well in this case, kind of yin and yang thing ;)

Grigorpova
May 10th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I liked Sam and Schiavone as doubles partners, I want them back!

maturedgirl
May 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM
but I think the Aussie FC squad should send Julia a few Australian emigration/naturalisation brochures in the mail

NO Way! http://www.mini2.info/forum/images/smilies/nono.gif

Neither Sammy will split our FC-dreamteam Julia/Petko ;)
(we only lend our girl until Petko will be back on court...)

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 10:24 AM
NO Way! http://www.mini2.info/forum/images/smilies/nono.gif

Neither Sammy will split our FC-dreamteam Julia/Petko ;)
(we only lend our girl until Petko will be back on court...)

:lol: I was waiting for someone to bite on this one.

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM

EDIT: Just steal my point stromatolite :bigcry:

Just browsing through recent posts and came across this one that I didn't notice before. I'm sorry for whatever I did, but I don't really know which point I stole :unsure::lol:

Huntress55
May 10th, 2012, 11:39 AM
So Lucie is through hitting a mega 40 winners, although 15 of those were aces. This could be tough for Sam, but I think she'll pull through.

SilverPersian
May 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Just browsing through recent posts and came across this one that I didn't notice before. I'm sorry for whatever I did, but I don't really know which point I stole :unsure::lol:

I will never forgive you for pointing out that Hradecka might not get through to face Sam :p

So Lucie is through hitting a mega 40 winners, although 15 of those were aces. This could be tough for Sam, but I think she'll pull through.

:tape:

I guess it's not that likely that Hradecka will play so well two matches in a row...is it? :unsure:

dok-stos
May 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I think Lucie will be error prone tomorrow, Sam's game is getting better as the months go on.
Have faith in Sam!!!

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 12:18 PM
In general, of course Sam is a far better player than Lucie, but this particular match may be more on Lucie's racquet than Sam's, especially on these courts. Lucie's confidence has to be sky-high now after backing up her win over Petra with another straight sets win over a higher-ranked opponent. As long as Sam can get into the match I'm pretty sure the errors and doubts will start to creep into Lucie's game. But if Lucie comes out swinging and everything lands in she may coast through the match on auto-pilot.

On a lighter note, Caro is 4-0 up against Serena. Can you imagine the bloodbath on GM if she wins? :lol:

SilverPersian
May 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I

On a lighter note, Caro is 4-0 up against Serena. Can you imagine the bloodbath on GM if she wins? :lol:

Yeesss. All our plans are falling into place :drool:

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Hahahahahahahaha!!!:devil::devil::devil:

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I will never forgive you for pointing out that Hradecka might not get through to face Sam :p

Well I guess neither of us is up for this weeks astuteness award then :lol:

Grigorpova
May 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM

Yes! Now all I need is to reach peak power in my sleeping pattern.

Peak American Dream :lol:

SilverPersian
May 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Yes! Now all I need is to reach peak power in my sleeping pattern.

Peak American Dream :lol:

Except that Serena is killing Woz now :sobbing:

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Are you watching? Is Serena playing GOAT-like, or just well enough?

SilverPersian
May 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Nah I'm just keeping an eye on livescoreboard.

I suspect Serena's come out of her shell and Woz is scared out of her mind

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 01:44 PM
1-6 6-3 6-2. I think Serena just took a while to find her serve. Hard to draw any conclusions without having seen the match. The slipperiness of the courts would pretty much negate Caro's big advantage (the ability to retrieve a lot of balls), so once Serena started finding her range I think it was always going to be tough for her.

Aga is now in a spot of bother against Vinci. Unlike Serena she can't serve her way out of trouble, so I think Roberta might have a good chance in that one.

bertisonline
May 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM

I loooooooove that spirit!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:
B.

Siderophyre
May 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Court 3? COURT 3? No stream again? :banghead:

This useless piece of shit tournament! :fiery::fiery::fiery:

Huntress55
May 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
1-6 6-3 6-2. I think Serena just took a while to find her serve. Hard to draw any conclusions without having seen the match. The slipperiness of the courts would pretty much negate Caro's big advantage (the ability to retrieve a lot of balls), so once Serena started finding her range I think it was always going to be tough for her.

Serena was dreadful in the first set, making alot of mistakes. Caro was playing aggressive tennis, well for her. In the second set Serena started firing and Caro started playing the same old tennis she usually does and Serena just run all over her. Much the same in the third. Caro was trying really hard and glimpses of the first set play came into the third but it was too late, Serena was already on a roll. Hitting alot of winner and serving very well.

And freakin awesome. No stream for Sams QF? Very lame.:fiery:

bertisonline
May 10th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Court 3? COURT 3? No stream again? :banghead:

This useless piece of shit tournament! :fiery::fiery::fiery:

I totally agree. They call for innovation, blue clay so you can easely follow the match; as a supporter, what is the point, I have not seen Sam playing yet, tomorrow is Friday: and that won't make any difference.
It's like Osaka, except that Madrid is a Premier tournament. :eek::eek::eek:
B.

stromatolite
May 10th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Serena was dreadful in the first set, making alot of mistakes. Caro was playing aggressive tennis, well for her. In the second set Serena started firing and Caro started playing the same old tennis she usually does and Serena just run all over her. Much the same in the third. Caro was trying really hard and glimpses of the first set play came into the third but it was too late, Serena was already on a roll. Hitting alot of winner and serving very well.

And freakin awesome. No stream for Sams QF? Very lame.:fiery:

Yeah, Caro has a great game when she chooses to use it. I think all these people who think she's finished are fooling themselves, I can see her winning a few slams before her career is over. That said, at some point she's got to start committing more to playing aggressively even when things aren't going her way.

It sure does suck that there's no stream of Sam's match tomorrow. Hopefully she'll win so we can see her in action in the SF on Saturday.

Btw: why court 3????:confused: What happened to court Arantxa Sanchez Vicario?

Huntress55
May 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Btw: why court 3????:confused: What happened to court Arantxa Sanchez Vicario?

There have been alot of complaints across the board about the courts in general, but there have been a few slips and such on this court. Maybe they've decided not to play matches on there to be safe. Otherwise I have no idea why they wouldnt use their second biggest court.

tennisforadults
May 11th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I totally agree. They call for innovation, blue clay so you can easely follow the match; as a supporter, what is the point, I have not seen Sam playing yet, tomorrow is Friday: and that won't make any difference.
It's like Osaka, except that Madrid is a Premier tournament. :eek::eek::eek:
B.

Madrid will probably go down as the most critically panned tournament in 2012. First they didn't tell players they are changing the surface. Then the surface turns out to be a dud - hard to move on, causing injuries, etc. They switched to a smaller court to address injury concerns about the bigger one and fans complain of no TV coverage. What a mess. :facepalm:

AaronT
May 11th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Good news guys! I just had a look on LSH and found out that they have links for Sam's match today :bounce:, but hopefully they're not going to remove it like last time

SilverPersian
May 11th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Good news guys! I just had a look on LSH and found out that they have links for Sam's match today :bounce:, but hopefully they're not going to remove it like last time

It's still there. Maybe since they're not using ASV they're moving the camera equipment to another court?

Gosh. What is it with Sam and getting shunted around to backcourts. Hopefully it will fire her up like at the USO and she will crush Serena again in the next round :drool:

Aga is playing Lepchenko in the quarters? :mad:

tennisforadults
May 11th, 2012, 05:01 AM

I think Radwanska has done some amazing things in the last 6 months, but god her draws are favourable (resisting the urge to say cakewalk).

That said, she is capitalising well on her top 4 seeding, unlike Sam's horror patch last year when she was in the same position.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:21 AM
There have been alot of complaints across the board about the courts in general, but there have been a few slips and such on this court. Maybe they've decided not to play matches on there to be safe. Otherwise I have no idea why they wouldnt use their second biggest court.

This is what Aga had to say about the courts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=21397062&postcount=51

A thin layer of sand covering concrete!!!??? This is even worse than I think anybody believed up until now. This tournament is either a farce or a tragedy, not quite sure which.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I think Radwanska has done some amazing things in the last 6 months, but god her draws are favourable (resisting the urge to say cakewalk).

That said, she is capitalising well on her top 4 seeding, unlike Sam's horror patch last year when she was in the same position.

I'm having trouble not feeling a little bit resentful towards Aga. She has played well this year, no doubt about that, but since she reached the top 4 she's been getting dream draws. I don't think I'm being biased when I say that Sam has played much better than her on clay so far this year, but Aga has been going further in tournaments and increasing her rankings lead because she gets a cakewalk (I don't mind saying it) to the SF every time. If her luck stretches on to Rome and RG I'll be really pissed.

Huntress55
May 11th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Yeah Aga does seem to get pretty decent draws, its frustrating. Im hoping this means she'll get a bitch of a draw at FO :p

Siderophyre
May 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Yes! Eurosport just said on air they will be showing all the matches today. In the UK it will be on Eurosport 2, so there will def be a stream. :D

Territory
May 11th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Aga with favourable draws?? She's lost to Vika 5 times this year!!

The main difference between Aga and Sam is that Aga just does *not* lose to anyone ranked outside the top 20. (Or top 10 for that matter...). Wish we could say the same about Sam :sad:

Ben.
May 11th, 2012, 02:39 PM
It's still there. Maybe since they're not using ASV they're moving the camera equipment to another court?

Gosh. What is it with Sam and getting shunted around to backcourts. Hopefully it will fire her up like at the USO and she will crush Serena again in the next round :drool:

So where are the links to Sam's match please?

Ben.
May 11th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Don't worry I found it.

Really hoping Sam can win this match. Not going to be easy if Hradecka plays like she did against Makarova :eek:

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hurry up Aga.
It's 1.30am and I need some sleep :(

SilverPersian
May 11th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hurry up Aga.
It's 1.30am and I need some sleep :(

+1 million

I have to get up and go to the airport at 5:00am so...argh...maybe I should just go to bed >.<

Edit: Yeah going to bed, sorry guys, you'll have to do some extra hard livescoring to make up for my absence.

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Fingers crossed you wake up to some good news and a rematch against Serena :cheer:
Go Sammy :cheer:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Finally! Go Sammy!

sunsets21
May 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Sam first to serve again. Black magic to always serve first :yeah:

bertisonline
May 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Finally! Go Sammy!

So She won the toss. B. :worship::worship::worship:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I have the feeling that this match is going to be a matter of weathering the Lucie storm, at least in the first set. Lucie has no other option than to come out with all guns blazing, but if Sam can stick with her early on I think she'll wear her down over the course of the match.

AaronT
May 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
good game! nice to see bh winner from Sam

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Gutsy second serve Sammy! Some great serving in that game :worship: (except the DF :oh:)

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Funny, Lucie looks more nervous than Sam.

AaronT
May 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
BPs!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Big serving to get out of trouble

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Uh-oh, Lucie's serve is starting to warm up :unsure:

bertisonline
May 11th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Uh-oh, Lucie's serve is starting to warm up :unsure:

It looks like more indoor hard court than anything else... B.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Damn, some chances gone begging there :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
It looks like more indoor hard court than anything else... B.

Yeah, it doesn't look much like a claycourt, that's for sure.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Damn, BP :( She needs to get Lucie moving a bit more I think

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Sam using the body serve a lot. I think she should use it more, esp. against Masha, Serena, Vika etc.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Wrong-footed her! Do that some more Sam, Lucie is a bad mover at the best of time, so if you can jerk her around like that you can rattle her. Good hold under pressure, very cool Sammy! :)

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Lovely FH :worship:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Damn, from 0-30 4 straight points to Lucie. 2-2

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Body serve again, nice Sammy :hearts:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Hitting too much down the middle. Get her running Sam!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Sam's giving Lucie hitting practice in this game :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Couple of gifts from Lucie. Come on Sammy!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Back to deuce. Go Sam, break her now!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Love game for Sam! Now get the break, please?

bertisonline
May 11th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Nice game. Breaking now is the best time. B.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Sam is looking very solid so far, but she really needs to start converting her BPs.

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Some solid serving from Sam.
Time to break!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Uh-oh. Lucie likes serving with new balls.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Hmph! Love game for Lucie, that wasn't the plan :(

AaronT
May 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
time to break her serve Sam.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Sam is serving beautifully so far :worship: 5-4, time to break! (I'll keep saying that till she listens :lol:)

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Oh dear, GOAT-serving Lucie has arrived :unsure:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:00 PM
5-5, hang in there Sammy!

bertisonline
May 11th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Sam is serving beautifully so far :worship: 5-4, time to break! (I'll keep saying that till she listens :lol:)

Keep say it!!! :devil::devil::devil:

B.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Great hold Sam!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Keep say it!!! :devil::devil::devil:

B.

Time to break Sammy! :lol:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
0-30! 2 points, come on Sammy!!!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Good idea Sam, but didn't quite hit it :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:06 PM
damn, another half-chance gone :( Time to show your class Sammy!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Not the best way to start the TB :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Phew, nice gift from Lucie. 1-2

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Good defending Sam!

bertisonline
May 11th, 2012, 06:09 PM
3-2! She holds! B.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Damn! Great defense again from Sam, but couldn't take advantage. 3-4

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Great body serve at a good time :worship:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:11 PM
GOAT serving from Sam. Now get the minibreak!

bertisonline
May 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Fantastic serve , 5-4 now. B.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
GOAT serving from Lucie as well. SP. Come on Sammy!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Great second serve :hearts:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Damn, Lucie has SP on her own serve :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM
GOAT returning Sammy :worship:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
10th ace from Lucie! SP again

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
great play under pressure!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Another SP on Lucie's serve :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Set gone :(

bertisonline
May 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Set gone :(

This one is gone, yes. B.

dok-stos
:(

stromatolite
Sam didn't do a lot wrong in that set. Lucie is playing Russian roulette tennis atm, and it's working. Still think Sam's got a great chance of winning the match.

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Come on Sammy!!!

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Get your butt on court Dave :(

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM
A good livestream, please?

tenniscrazy84
Sam really needs a good start...

tenniscrazy84
:( Df

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Good hold Sammy!

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Good end to that service game by Sammy.
Needs to chill lol

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM
1-1*

stromatolite
Sam is playing too well to deserve to lose to the #105 in the world

tenniscrazy84
lets break her!!!!!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Ace # 13.

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 06:29 PM
deuce

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I think Lucie is thinking "I may never hit the ball as well as this again all year, I'm just going to go for everything"

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
*1-2

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Some good slice chip returns from Sam drew errors from Lucie...
Tactic to do more of maybe.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Great point! :worship: 40-0

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Livestream???

bertisonline
Dave is having fun watching Sam destroying H! B.

stromatolite
Haha, nice one Sammy ;)

tenniscrazy84
2-2*

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 06:35 PM
http://lsh.lshunter.tv/static/popups/9493102659840.html
Try that one

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM
For the first time a few sloppy points from Sam :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Sam is not putting enough pressure on Lucie's serve in that game. Making it too easy for her to just go for big serves.

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM
http://lsh.lshunter.tv/static/popups/9493102659840.html
Try that one

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:40 PM
30-30, careful Sam!

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 06:41 PM
That scream she does is cheating...
Just saying lol

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Well done Sammy. She's weathering the storm, but at some point she's going to have to break Lucie.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Finally a lucky break for Sam, 15-15

dok-stos
Poor Sam's knee!
Ouch!

stromatolite
Frustration!!!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:45 PM
This serving from Lucie is just ridiculous! :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:48 PM
^Yes, Sam would be well within her rights to complain to the umpire about Lucie's yelp. It does amount to cheating

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:48 PM
GOAT service game from Sam :worship:. Will Lucie start to crack?

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:50 PM
There is no subtlety to Lucie's game, but it sure is effective :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM
4-5, back to the wall. Come on Sammy!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Lucie is just clubbing the shit out of everything, and mostly they're going in :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Great play under pressure Sammy. Whatever happens I have nothing but respect :worship:

AaronT
May 11th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I'm in pain

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:57 PM
This serving is just fucking ridiculous from #105

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hang in there Sammy!

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Scary times ahead...

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:01 PM
0-30 :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:02 PM
GOAT serving again!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Great hold SammY. Now take the TB!

dok-stos
Good serving :cheer:
Now for the tie break....

stromatolite
Of course, an ace :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Everything Sam is doing is far classier than Lucie, but not as effective

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Mini-break Sam! Hang onto it Sam!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:05 PM
4-2!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Take this next point Sam and you'll be in the driver's seat!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Bad time for a DF :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Damn, that was a chance! 4-5

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Phew! SP Sam. Win this point Sam!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM
That fucking serve, what can she do? :sobbing:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:10 PM
God damn it, ace on fucking second serve. MP :(

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Nnnoooooooo!!!!!!

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM
What could she do. Why do these fucking women play the match of their life every time against Sammy :( :( :(

dok-stos
May 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Ugh. Terrible last serve by Sam.
But she is off that horrid court.
No chance of slipping and causing an injury I guess lol.

AaronT
May 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Lucie is on drug i guess

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Lucie is on drug i guess

It does make you wonder. Where does a world #105 get off playing like that. It makes no sense :(

AaronT
May 11th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I'm sad. Tournament is over for me

bertisonline
What could she do. Why do these fucking women play the match of their life every time against Sammy :( :( :(

It has been, at least, the third time, from the beginning of this year… B.
So 12 games, a no not set for Sam today…
B.

stromatolite
No matter, this is not the tourney Sam needs to win. On red clay Lucie will be toast, and all the others as well.

bertisonline
May 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM
No matter, this is not the tourney Sam needs to win. On red clay Lucie will be toast, and all the others as well.

Absolutely. Let's get back to the real thing. Rome is the first step. B .

Chim
May 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM

So true!!

I'm happy Sam is actually in good form. This blue clay court sucks big time.:fiery: I really don't want to see her getting hurt before the big tourneys.

AaronT
May 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I think Sam was playing well and did everything right except the df in the tie break. Unfortunately she was playing against an inspired opponent who plays the match of her life and serves like ATP players.

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Just like her last match against Maria...Sam probably deserved more than what she got...still a pretty good tournament in really unfavourable conditions....

Gerri
May 11th, 2012, 07:25 PM
In a way, I'm pleased Sam lost. That surface looks like a terrible injury waiting to happen :o At least she can move onto the real dirt now. What a crappy tournament Madrid has turned into.......

tenniscrazy84
May 11th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I think Sam was playing well and did everything right except the df in the tie break. Unfortunately she was playing against an inspired opponent who plays the match of her life and serves like ATP players.

Yep, that df really suck :fiery:

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:28 PM

Yeah, that was costly. But I don't think she got tight, she just went for it and missed it, shit happens. If Sam had won that service point she probably would have won the set, and in a third set you would have to favour Sam. But it wasn't to be, and she can leave Madrid with her head held high. With the possible exception of Serena, I don't believe anybody could have beaten Lucie today.

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Just like her last match against Maria...Sam probably deserved more than what she got...still a pretty good tournament in really unfavourable conditions....

Yeah, if you look at the lame play by some of the others, Sam can regard herself as very unlucky not to reach the semis at least both times

stromatolite
May 11th, 2012, 07:55 PM
The more I think about it, the less upset I am about this loss. Sam has never done well in Madrid, and this year the surface was even worse suited to her game than it used to be. Despite that, she adjusted to the conditions and played about as well as I've ever seen her play on any surface tbh. She was just unlucky to run into an opponent who played like a woman possessed, on a surface that looked like it was specifically designed with her in mind. Even then, only an untimely DF kept her from taking the second set and more than likely the match.

Sam's game looks so strong and resilient now, it is only a matter of time before that starts to translate into good results. Especially on the red clay she will be very very hard to beat I think, and I still really fancy her chances at RG. And if she can play this well on this weird slippery blue clay, I can't see any reason why she can't go deep at Wimbledon this year. Onwards and upwards Sammy!

SilverPersian
May 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Oh Sammy :hug:

It's good to hear that she played well - she wasn't broken all match so she must have been doing something right. And given that she seemed to be struggling with the serves of Martic, Cetovska and McHale on this surface, I guess it's no surprise that Hradecka's serve was a big problem.

I just hope that she gets rewarded with a big claycourt result at either Rome or RG - because the quality of her tennis has been great and she really deserves it.

sunsets21
May 11th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Sam :hug:

It was heart breaking to see her lose two tie-breaks but I am sort of glad she's no longer in this tournament as well. I can't remember when it was exactly (perhaps during the tie-break in the first set?) but Sam did slip and fall once during the match. That was a worrying few seconds; I thought she got hurt from it but thankfully not.

Territory
May 11th, 2012, 11:37 PM
The main difference between Aga and Sam is that Aga just does *not* lose to anyone ranked outside the top 20. (Or top 10 for that matter...). Wish we could say the same about Sam :sad:

Way to prove me right Sam! :bigcry:

Grigorpova
May 12th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Sorry guys I was fast asleep, my powers were not present in this game :lol:

stromatolite
May 12th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Way to prove me right Sam! :bigcry:

I take your point, but you don't seriously believe Aga would have beaten this Lucie do you?

Ben.
May 12th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Yeah, that was costly. But I don't think she got tight, she just went for it and missed it, shit happens. If Sam had won that service point she probably would have won the set, and in a third set you would have to favour Sam. But it wasn't to be, and she can leave Madrid with her head held high. With the possible exception of Serena, I don't believe anybody could have beaten Lucie today.

Agree with everything you said there. Sam really didn't do too much wrong in that match. She served well and played some great tennis. Just played against a player who went for broke on everything and it came off when it mattered.

I'm proud of Sam despite this loss. She has had a good clay season so far & her only losses on the dirt have come to very good opponents & most of those losses were close. I'm guessing if she wanted a lot of matches going into the French then she has achieved that. Got to look at the positives :)

Rome up next. Bring it on :armed:

AaronT
May 12th, 2012, 05:28 AM
The more I think about it, the less upset I am about this loss. Sam has never done well in Madrid, and this year the surface was even worse suited to her game than it used to be. Despite that, she adjusted to the conditions and played about as well as I've ever seen her play on any surface tbh. She was just unlucky to run into an opponent who played like a woman possessed, on a surface that looked like it was specifically designed with her in mind. Even then, only an untimely DF kept her from taking the second set and more than likely the match.

Sam's game looks so strong and resilient now, it is only a matter of time before that starts to translate into good results. Especially on the red clay she will be very very hard to beat I think, and I still really fancy her chances at RG. And if she can play this well on this weird slippery blue clay, I can't see any reason why she can't go deep at Wimbledon this year. Onwards and upwards Sammy!

Of course it disappointing when Sam played well and lost by just a few points here and there, and I have to say I didn't expect her to does well in Madrid base on the surface and conditions but she proved me wrong that she actually played well. I think tennis is a funny game that anyone can beat anyone on a good day regardless about their ranking, and Lucie played well and riding high on confident, had more matches practice on the surface, beat some very good players along the way and played the best tournament of her life. So I don't think we have any reasons to be disappointed or upset, she had a good week in Madrid and Madrid is not an ideal preparation for RG anw, she now has more time to get on the real red dirt and base on her current form I believe she will does well in Rome, RG and the rest of the year:)

SilverPersian
May 12th, 2012, 05:44 AM

So it's YOUR fault?!

*cue angry mob wielding pitchforks and flaming torches*

stromatolite
May 12th, 2012, 06:55 AM
She has had a good clay season so far & her only losses on the dirt have come to very good opponents....

... who played at an insanely high level to beat her.

Lucie ... played the best tournament of her life.

That's the truth, no two ways about it.

*cue angry mob wielding pitchforks and flaming torches*

Considering the fact that you had an even worse day than most of us, with both Maria and Sam losing, we'll let you off this time with a mild tar and feathering ;)

stromatolite
May 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
This is getting monotonous. In Rome Sam is once again in the same half as Maria and Petra (this time back in Maria's quarter). Vika and Aga in the same half again. :facepalm: The only improvement is that Serena is in the same quarter as Aga this time, with any luck she'll take care of both. I think Sam has a pretty good chance of beating both Maria and Petra, so a final against Serena is a distinct possibility.

Full draw:

Azarenka vs BYE
Peer vs Peng
Vinci vs Knapp
Q vs Cibulkova

Lisicki vs Erakovic
Gajdosova vs Scheepers
Benesova vs Wickmayer
BYE vs Li

Radwanska vs BYE
Cetkovska vs Q
Q vs Q