PDA

View Full Version : Miami R4: Maria Sharapova b. Ekaterina Makarova 64 76(3)

joćo.
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:24 PM
This match :facepalm:
The Double Faults :facepalm: :facepalm:
Her form overall in this tournament :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Stats (~2h13min):

1st Serve %
MS 70%
EM 56%

Aces/DFs
MS 1/11
EM 1/1

BPs
MS 5/8
EM 4/15

W/UE
MS 34/53
EM 11/28

Shivank17
Shitty match. :tape:
Martha 11 DFs. :smash:
DF showers are back again. :scared:
Fix that serve please.

Vuvurenka
:facepalm:

Julian.
Disgusting form from Maria :hysteric:

My eyes :hysteric:

Double A
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM
What the hell did I just watch?

doomsday
Please don't reach the final.

Apoleb
Hideous stuff from a one-dimensional, disgusting, overrated grinder who still couldn't hit off Makarova.

Break My Rapture
My eyes might go total Asian if Maria's footwork keeps making me cringe like that.

madmax
playing like utter mess and still pawning mere peasants in straights:cheer:
Your fave could never...:wavey:

Rest Maria!
It's so annoying to see this woman progressing because her opponents are mental midgets :facepalm:

Katya why do you disappoint me so :armed:

Petkorazzi
Winning ugly. :yeah: Serve is MIA but her backhand is looking fierce from what I saw. :drool:

Miracle Worker
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Win is win, but those UEs :sobbing:

sxeraserhead
:confused: How many times does Maria have to play like this before you realize this is now the norm for her?

Miracle Worker
Maria confirmed that Miami is the biggest tournament just after Slams :oh:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Sharapova made 11 DF's, 53 UE's and was faced with 15 BP's and still managed to win in two :lol:
Makarova was serving for the second set (6-5), but it wasn't up to her....

At the end it was all about Sharapova. She was producing winners and unforced errors. A not so good performance from Makarova, she wasn't able to change the pace and make Sharapova's balls go out of the court even more often.

Doully
This was well on its way to a repeat of the Williams/Wozniak match yesterday. :o.
2hrs 15 mins for a 6-4 7-6 victory :help:.

Maria played a decent tie-break until 6-2 where she bombed both points on serve. One with her 11th DF.

Please get this poor play out of your system!

LDF
An absolutely atrocious match :o If this was anyone other than Maria I would've jumped ship early on, but alas, the fanboy in me kept me hooked until the end :tape:

Please, please play better in the next round, Maria.

TheBoiledEgg
that was pretty dire stuff
Masha so up & down :facepalm:

Shivank17
Over 2 hours :tape:

espana
Makarova - Sharapova
1 aces 1
1 double faults 11
11 winners 34
28 unforced errors 53

Sharapovian
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:28 PM
That was one hot mess. Glad it didn't go to a third :facepalm:

Good luck against Li/Lisicki...

Johnbert
this whole tournament is such a hot mess :hysteric:

pov
overrated grinder
Sharapova a grinder? Nah c'mon . . . she's a pusher :haha: I mean :facepalm:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM
this whole tournament is such a hot mess :hysteric:

IW bug is still out there :lol:

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM
that was pretty dire stuff
Masha so up & down :facepalm:
:yeah: From what I've see so far, something in Miami is affecting the players' GPS.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
What the hell did I just watch?

I guess i shouldn't be too disappointed that I missed the match :lol:

Masha :yeah:

pedropt
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM
This match :facepalm:

dsanders06
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Very bad obviously, but one minuscule positive is that atleast most of her errors were as a result of being overly-aggressive and were going long or wide, which isn't quite as bad as days where her shots are all going into the net as a result of her completely mistiming them and being too tentative. And she moved pretty well for her standards.

Play better tomorrow though, please :scared:

MaSharp
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM
:S OMG, this is Maria from 2009, 2010...Disgusting form. Three matches and 29 DF!! She hasn't played so bad since april last year. I'm a little worry. She didn't make so many DF in all IW tournament....What is wrong with her actually?
Is so different surface or what?

Anyway, I'm happy she managed this in two sets. With this game, she will get a bagel very soon. -.-

dsanders06
Also, can we please finally put to rest this myth that Sam Smith is a tennis oracle and the best commentator. Her comment when Makarova had a break point at 3-3 when DOWN A SET: "I think if Makarova gets this break point, this match is hers to lose" :spit:

C. Drone
wasnt pretty :help:
most shocking stats are served pts. Makarova 62, Masha 115 in 11 service games.
Her average service game at least 10pts long, which is ridiculous.
That means Masha had to serve twice as much as Makarova, she is absolutely unable to held serve easily. there was at least 3 games where she wasted a 40-0 behind her serve, just to get broken or hold after 15 deuce and a 10minute long game.
And all this just makes her even more shaky in her mind, with numerous brainfreeze.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Very bad obviously, but one minuscule positive is that atleast most of her errors were as a result of being overly-aggressive and were going long or wide, which isn't quite as bad as days where her shots are all going into the net as a result of her completely mistiming them and being too tentative. And she moved pretty well for her standards.

Play better tomorrow though, please :scared:

Well, she didn't have to defend 'cause Makarova was playing like a hitting partner :rolleyes:

Vikapower
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Anyways,

I have no freaking idea what to make of Maria's tennis anymore -- it's a mix of 'ugly' shot-making and very bad point construction/rallying from the back but there are always some beautiful blips at times with some nice highlight winners but Maria you're not same at all, just not the same.

Also, I hope people will stop disparaging Victoria that 'power grinder' like in a pejorative way because Maria is easily that too of the tour now and much worse one than Victoria. She makes a lot of unforced errors and many are from very basic situations. Her 34 winners in a '2h13' match doesn't change the facts.

faboozadoo15
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I'm glad she's through, but that brand of tennis won't get it done against Li or Lisicki. She'll step it up a bit though.

Her footwork was pretty bad, turning routine shots into errors. :sad: The DF's :help:

At least it's another QF, maybe SF.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM
:S OMG, this is Maria from 2009, 2010...Disgusting form. Three matches and 29 DF!! She hasn't played so bad since april last year. I'm a little worry. She didn't make so many DF in all IW tournament....What is wrong with her actually?
Is so different surface or what?

Anyway, I'm happy she managed this in two sets. With this game, she will get a bagel very soon. -.-

I think that played a big part... But she sucked, no matter what :lol:

Apoleb
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Anyways,

I have no freaking idea what to make of Maria's tennis anymore -- it's a mix of 'ugly' shot-making and very bad point construction/rallying from the back but there are always some beautiful blips at times with some nice highlight winners but Maria you're not same at all, just not the same at all.

Also, I hope people will stop disparaging Victoria that 'power grinder' like in a pejorative way because Maria is easily that too of the tour now and much worse one than Victoria. She makes a lot of unforced errors and many are from very basic situations. Her 34 winners in a '2h13' match doesn't change the facts.

This is actually very true. She's a poor man's Azarenka now. Sure she can occasionally come with shots bigger than Azarenka could ever hit, but they aren't that many. Most of the time she's just happy rallying flat without width with her crappy looking shots. Yuck.

Makarova played a very dumb first set. Hitting everything to Maria's backhand until she was overwhelmed, and it took Crapova 5/6 shots to do that. Then she played a lot smarter in the second set, varying placement and hitting much more to the forehand, and the errors started streaming. Then of course she had to do a load of needless dumb UE, and that basically cost her the second set.

JamieOwen3
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
:haha: she ends up with a WIN who the fuck cares? AND TO WHAT PEOPLE SAY HERE

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0fjlk52r21rqfhi2o1_500.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_led955Djkf1qdlkgg.gif

Stonerpova
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM
She's lucky she got it done in two.

Play better next round please.

madmax
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:48 PM
This is actually very true. She's a poor man's Azarenka now. Sure she can occasionally come with shots bigger than Azarenka could ever hit, but they aren't that many. Most of the time she's just happy rallying flat without width with her crappy looking shots. Yuck.

Makarova played a very dumb first set. Hitting everything to Maria's backhand until she was overwhelmed, and it took Crapova 5/6 shots to do that. Then she played a lot smarter in the second set, varying placement and hitting much more to the forehand, and the errors started streaming. Then of course she had to do a load of needless dumb UE, and that basically cost her the second set.

sometimes I wonder does this delusional tool really believes the crap he's spouting on this forum?:lol:

18majors
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Great Maria won in 2 sets, Makarova was a tough out.

RenaSlam.
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM
She has played like shit virtually the entire time she's been in the Top 5 as of late.

miffedmax
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM
At the beginning, I couldn't decide who to root for.

By the end of this shitfest, I was trying to decide which one to kick out of the LOB first.

Fighterpova
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Maria :help:
A win is a win I guess :shrug:

At least she's in the Quarters again :cheer:

Galang
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:19 PM
She's been pretty bad all week but I'm glad that she's back to the position where she can bullshit her way to the QF's consistently

18majors
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM
She's been pretty bad all week but I'm glad that she's back to the position where she can bullshit her way to the QF's consistently

Yes, this is an improvement from when Maria didn't reach QF of any slams for 2 years.

LCS
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Such a mess :tape: Maria better get on track or Serena will eat her for breakfast.

Maria Croft
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:33 PM
At least she reached a QF again.

There aren't many players out there that can play that badly and still win, in two no less :p

Tenis Srbija
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
At least she reached a QF again.

There aren't many players out there that can play that badly and still win, in two no less :p

Right on!

GrandMartha
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Martha :facepalm:

HRHoliviasmith
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM

I agree. These girls are just ridiculous. ugh. :rolleyes:

Vincey!
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Strangely I never felt like she was in trouble in that match...it seems like she was trying things, as I suspected looking on her previous service stats, it looks like she's trying to put more spin and depth to her 2nd serves. HEr groundies were more toward the lines as well, lots of UEs but she always found a way to win important points rather easily. That TB was a good example or when she needed a break. I'm not convinced this kind of play will make her beat top players in finals, but it's a good step if she can improve and cut down the UEs.

jameshazza
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:38 PM
At least we made QF, looks please make SF :sobbing:

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM

oh yes she could...:lol:

jameshazza
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
W/e Mash, if you're not gonna tank tomorrow try to get at least 6 games against Serena.

Get your ass on the clay :armed:

sammy01
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
sharapova has taken winning ugly to a new level, trouble is fight will get her nowhere if she plays like that against serena or vika :help:

doomsday
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:59 PM
sharapova has taken winning ugly to a new level, trouble is fight will get her nowhere if she plays like that against serena or vika :help:

:lol::lol: nice try but noone will reach Clijsters' level of winning ugly since she came back on Tour.

sammy01
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
:lol::lol: nice try but noone will reach Clijsters' level of winning ugly since she came back on Tour.

you do know there is a clijsters forum, you seem very desperate to talk about her :wavey:

The Dawntreader
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Another laborious, slug-fest from Sharapova. She's becoming the Murray of the WTA. Just no rhythm, no consistent passages of play, her serve making her SO vulnerable with it collapsing at will. It's just such an effort. In some ways I admire her tenacity when her game is so ragged, but I just feel like it boldly reveals the decline in her game. I mean the serve has already regressed in a week as it is.

Makarova fluctuates between being a competent, precise ball-striker with excellent stroke production and balance, to an awful, gutless, braindead basher, who has no idea how to construct or finish points.

Bad match all-round, and much longer than it needed to be.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I am semi-content with the fact that Maria still has the ability to bullshit her way into the latter stages of any tournament she plays in. :lol: But please play better. :facepalm:

doomsday
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:08 PM
you do know there is a clijsters forum, you seem very desperate to talk about her :wavey:

:lol: am I? :lol: I was defending Maria's case here as usual btw.

madmax
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:09 PM
another thread with usual suspects blabbering how useless and crappy Maria's game is, while she keeps on winning and marching on...don't these fellas ever get tired of their BS?:haha:

sammy01
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:10 PM
:lol: am I? :lol: I was defending Maria's case here as usual btw.

no you just attacked my fave player. if you wish to discuss kim's game she has both results threads and a forum, otherwise STFU

doomsday
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
no you just attacked my fave player. if you wish to discuss kim's game she has both results threads and a forum, otherwise STFU

:lol: Because you were so not attacking Maria with the taken ugly to a new level :lol: someone is really mad Clijsters is getting snatched left and right these days but you won't suffer from this a long time since she is probably gonna retire FOR GOOD THIS TIME .:wavey:

Sombrerero loco
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
sharapova and her cake draws

Joe.
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Masha :unsure:
Please improve girl.

cn ireland
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Maria:yeah:

UDACHi
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:34 PM

LOL tennisforum never gets old.

anyway, maria i'm sure was a complete trainwreck as usual. :lol: still good to make the qfs. i expect/hope she'll claw into the semis, but serena or vika will definitely maul her if she gets there because she'll go out with the mindset of world number 200.

Belmont Lad
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Masha...... :scared:

sammy01
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
:lol: Because you were so not attacking Maria with the taken ugly to a new level :lol: someone is really mad Clijsters is getting snatched left and right these days but you won't suffer from this a long time since she is probably gonna retire FOR GOOD THIS TIME .:wavey:

i'm commenting on maria in HER result thread. you are just a stupid little sharapova fan who has zero perspective on her or tennis.

again you seem to have an obsession with kim, bringing her up in a sharapova result thread, though cant expect more from a poster like you

manu32
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM
awful match,stats,nothing to add.

Slampova
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Maria :unsure:

Good luck against Li :unsure:

Mashabator
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:59 AM
:o At least she won

miffedmax
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:02 AM

Catwalk draws.

Stonerpova
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Catwalk draws.

I love you :hysteric:

Charlatan
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Catwalk draws.

max :inlove:

miffedmax
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:32 AM
What are we without our precious traditions?

Savages. Mere savages.

doomsday
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:49 AM
i'm commenting on maria in HER result thread. you are just a stupid little sharapova fan who has zero perspective on her or tennis.

again you seem to have an obsession with kim, bringing her up in a sharapova result thread, though cant expect more from a poster like you

Is this Spammy really going after me :lol: beside if I thought that you were really willing to argue about Maria's tennis then I would have argued about this with you but showing your face in the thread just to bash her cause that's what you did and do all the time,'well then the only thing you will get from me is bashing on your fave and considering how sucky she is lately you don't really have the right to talk now give me a break.

TuxedoSlam
Mar 27th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Pova is walking a thin line between gutsy tennis and utter self-desctruction. Can't see her go much further here.

Beat
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:05 AM
very disappointed in makarova. this woeful sharpie was so beatable.

Maria rocks
Mar 27th, 2012, 08:14 AM
a win is a win but my word things have to improve big time Maria.

bandabou
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Hmmm....a straight-sets win, so I guess that's the good thing.

Maria rocks
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hmmm....a straight-sets win, so I guess that's the good thing.

ha ha true. But seriously i love Maria to bits but if she wants to win things this year serious improvement must be made.

rucolo
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM
What a mess :tape: But Maria won and Head To Head now 4-0 :cheer:

Serve a mess (11 DFs), return a mess, footwork/movement a mess :help:

Only positive thing was Maria`s fighting spirit. She definitely has to improve :unsure: