PDA

View Full Version : Oh No, Mary Carillo is Back, Corrupting Lindsey...

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I wished Mary would just go away, now she will contaminate Davenport pristine work as commentator...:mad:

Sir Stefwhit
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I felt the same way- she's so YUCK,, I'm so glad ESPN gave her the boot. Shes the most overrated commentator in history. She's negative and bad energy- all the things I deplore in a commentator. Tennis channel bought into her hype and it's to their detriment. go away Mary- go back to HBO- or do sports I don't watch, Golf, Mountain Biking, Bowling....

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I felt the same way- she's so YUCK,, I'm so glad ESPN gave her the boot. Shes the most overrated commentator in history. She's negative and Cary and all the things I deplore in a commentator. Tennis channel bought into her hype and it's to their detriment. go away Mary- go back to HBO- or do sports I don't watch, Golf, Mountain Biking, Bowling....
I fear she will be in the booth during Venus match and it will be dour in the commentators booth.

Unfortunately, we will have more dosage of her during NBC coverage of the Olympics, not only in tennis, but in other sport in tennis family, table tennis, badminton

Stonerpova
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I think I'm the only person on this forum who likes her :sobbing:

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Yeah, there are always misguided people:lol:
That is why sampling is carefully done, to make sure outliers such as yourself are included:)

hurricanejeanne
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM

I may not agree with everything she says, but I enjoy her candor in the box.

Sir Stefwhit
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM

She's not as vile and disgusting toward Maria- so I reckon a lot of Masha fans would be ok with her. In fact I would dare say she a Masha stan..

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I don't dislike her. She's no worse than most of the commentators.

treufreund
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Mary Carillo rules!!!

tennisbum79
She's not as vile and disgusting toward Maria- so I reckon a lot of Masha fans would be ok with her. In fact I would dare say she a Masha stan..
She is popular in Mashadistan:)

Stonerpova

I like Serena too though.

She's certainly not the objective commentator out there (see AO 2005 semi :facepalm: ) but I think she knows the game for the most part, is eloquent, and her batshit antics crack me up :lol:

Tenis Srbija
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:30 PM
She knows the game... Her problem is that she wants to be even smarter with her stupid comments.

supergrunt
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM
^ oh goodness :o

djb84xi
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Carillo is one truly interesting commentator. Every time she says something dumb, and especially if it's about Serena, I feel the need to reach through my flat screen TV and punch her right in the throat. If Tennis Channel has a brain....they'll see what we all see and get rid of her!!!!..........Someone tell the Lifetime network to hire her. I'm sure she'll be of FINE use there!

dynamoRockstarr
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Lindsay won't be corrupted. It would be interesting to have them two in the booth, they're both totally different and Lindsay doesn't back down with her comments/what she thinks about the game.

carling
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
She knows the game... Her problem is that she wants to be even smarter with her stupid comments.

THIS! :worship:

treufreund
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM
She and Lindsay have me in stitches. Mary is pretty funny!

Balltossovic
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I love Mary's commentary. I rarely see her up any particular player's butt, and she tells it like it is.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Goatrillo is back ? :haha:

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I love Mary's commentary. I rarely see her up any particular player's butt, and she tells it like it is.
You must have loose definition of "rarely"

Balltossovic
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:39 PM
You must have loose definition of "rarely"
I don't. In the matches that I've seen her commentate, I've haven't really seen her chose a side:shrug:

Obviously, I haven't seen every match she's commentated on, but the ones I have seen, I've thoroughly enjoyed.

AjdeNate!
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I like her. http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images/smilies/shrug.gif

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I don't. In the matches that I've seen her commentate, I've haven't really seen her chose a side:shrug:

Obviously, I haven't seen every match she's commentated on, but the ones I have seen, I've thoroughly enjoyed.
OK, I understand, getting her at low and limited dosage is easier to take.

Once the novelty wears out, she becomes tedious to take

Balltossovic
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:54 PM
OK, I understand, getting her at low and limited dosage is easier to take.

Once the novelty wears out, she becomes tedious to take
I can understand that. I love her snark, though.

Side note (not directed at you. I quite enjoy your posts): I love how people are getting on Mary, when the majority of the posters hating on her say worse and behavior is NO BETTER!!

Slammer7
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I can understand that. I love her snark, though.

Side note (not directed at you. I quite enjoy your posts): I love how people are getting on Mary, when the majority of the posters hating on her say worse and behavior is NO BETTER!!

I understand that, but posters aren't paid six figures to commentate matches. She is supposed to be held to a higher standard.

Mary has long been controversial, mainly because she doesn't always keep it to the court. She often gossips about players love lives, comments and criticizes their personal life as well as players families and family dynamics. She has been talked to by the networks she's worked with on several occasions about toning down some of that. If she was a tennis journalist and NOT a TV commentator it would be totally in bounds, but considering the job she steps outside of what is normal and preferred. A commentators job is to describe the action and add needed incite to a match. Mary often side tracks things and makes herself part of the narrative, which is totally unnecessary. :o She has gotten worse over the years and it's born out by ESPN letting her go. It's so rare for a tennis commentator to be fired. The same 15 to 20 people have been calling tennis for a generation and only the ones who were geriatric have been let go in recent years.

Slammer7
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I'm actually surprised that Mary is doing matches for TTC's coverage of this event. Usually she just gets to Miami on the Thursday or Friday to do CBS's coverage of the Men's and women's Final. :eek:

Well at least it was a Mary-free Winter. :shrug:

barmaid
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I may not agree with everything she says, but I enjoy her candor in the box.

I always enjoyed Mary's analysis of tennis games, she knows her stuff and tells it like it is:cool:....no bull shitting fluffy commentating!! :p Ata go Mary!:worship:

Barmaid:wavey:

Balltossovic
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I understand that, but posters aren't paid six figures to commentate matches. She is supposed to be held to a higher standard.

Mary has long been controversial, mainly because she doesn't always keep it to the court. She often gossips about players love lives, comments and criticizes their personal life as well as players families and family dynamics. She has been talked to by the networks she's worked with on several occasions about toning down some of that. If she was a tennis journalist and NOT a TV commentator it would be totally in bounds, but considering the job she steps outside of what is normal and preferred. A commentators job is to describe the action and add needed incite to a match. Mary often side tracks things and makes herself part of the narrative, which is totally unnecessary. :o She has gotten worse over the years and it's born out by ESPN letting her go. It's so rare for a tennis commentator to be fired. The same 15 to 20 people have been calling tennis for a generation and only the ones who were geriatric have been let go in recent years.

As does almost every commentator out there:shrug:

Johnny Mac always brings his own experiences into things. Pam Shriver is worse than Mary, in my opinion, in this regard.

Mary Jo, aside from Mary, is the other one I find enjoyable. Sometimes, the spectators don't want to just hear about the points. We have eyes, we can see if someone is attacking, if someone hit a volley or not. We need the other substance to spice it up a bit. I personally hate it when they just repeat the score, or just repeat what a player just did. Sometimes going into detail about what a player needs to do is fine. But commentating, was never, isn't now, and never has been just about the tennis.:shrug:

Jimmy Dragoon
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I felt the same way- she's so YUCK,, I'm so glad ESPN gave her the boot. Shes the most overrated commentator in history. She's negative and bad energy- all the things I deplore in a commentator. Tennis channel bought into her hype and it's to their detriment. go away Mary- go back to HBO- or do sports I don't watch, Golf, Mountain Biking, Bowling....

Agreed

Roookie
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Welcome back Mary :inlove:

edificio
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM

She claimed Maria was the better player after she was smashed by Serena in the AO final. She insisted. She's an idiot.

I always enjoyed Mary's analysis of tennis games, she knows her stuff and tells it like it is:cool:....no bull shitting fluffy commentating!! :p Ata go Mary!:worship:

Barmaid:wavey:

I've never thought her commentary was worth anything, and I've heard her commentating on matches since the 80s.

manu32
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:48 PM
She is not smart, probably idiot.

manu32
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Lindsey,please.....

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:02 PM
She claimed Maria was the better player after she was smashed by Serena in the AO final. She insisted. She's an idiot..

She did that more than in one occasion.

Serena is dominating the match before her eyes, and she still says Maria is the better player on the court right now

SI've never thought her commentary was worth anything, and I've heard her commentating on matches since the 80s.
I think what she had going for her, is the notion that she is a pioneer for women among tennis commentators , most of them have been men, with women playing only a secondary role.

She has been praised from some quarters for being refreshing in her commentaries and getting off the beaten path.

And to continue living up to this reputation, it feels like she has to keep pushing the envelope of saying things out of the ordinary, among them is her constant bitching about women tennis, how ATP does this or that better than the women.

I like the fact she made inroad as the first woman, but I wish it was someone else.
Of course I can't change that.

meyerpl
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:38 PM
"Mary Carrillo? I wouldn't fuck her with Bud Collins' dick." - Cliff Drysdale

dynamoRockstarr
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I hope she's not commentating on Vee's match tonight.

tennisbum79
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM
"Mary Carrillo? I wouldn't fuck her with Bud Collins' dick." - Cliff Drysdale

:lol:Come on now!!:lol:
:lol:We have have minors here:lol:

Seriously though, was there bad blood between the 2 of them?

I would not be at all surprised because I think their personalities would clash

Cliff seems to be deferential to his partners on the air, Carillo has no use for that

Slammer7
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:29 AM
As does almost every commentator out there:shrug:

Johnny Mac always brings his own experiences into things. Pam Shriver is worse than Mary, in my opinion, in this regard.

Mary Jo, aside from Mary, is the other one I find enjoyable. Sometimes, the spectators don't want to just hear about the points. We have eyes, we can see if someone is attacking, if someone hit a volley or not. We need the other substance to spice it up a bit. I personally hate it when they just repeat the score, or just repeat what a player just did. Sometimes going into detail about what a player needs to do is fine. But commentating, was never, isn't now, and never has been just about the tennis.:shrug:

No not to the extent Carillo goes. There have been numerous occasions over the last 10 years that she has had to step aside and let her booth-mate do on court interviews because she and the player had a feud. As well as 2 years ago after her 'threat of murder' comment where ESPN purposefully kept her off of Serena matches till the final because of the deluge of complaints and criticism from viewers and journalists for her over the top comments. She wasn't part of the team by the next AO. She goes much much further than commentators in other sports do with the personal criticism and even all other tennis commentators. The two that have the most leeway and the longest leash with that stuff are her and McEnroe and even he has toned it down over the years because of complaints by viewers. I don't think most reasonable people get that angry about a commentator criticizing someone BH or FH technique, but she rips on peoples parents and has criticized players character as people. :o Shriver isn't even a full time commentator anymore, she's the sideline woman most matches these days and that's for a reason.

I agree with you about Mary Jo, she is one of the most fair commentators out there. Even with her obvious biases (being bridesmaid at Davenports wedding and a close friend and being married to Federers agent) she can at least be realistic and not obnoxious. I'm all for a bit of spice, but there is a difference between adding a little flavor to the booth and making lame jokes for an entire match about Mardy Fish's name :o or a 5 minute pointless rant after a grandslam final about Serena rededicating herself when she had been in the last 3 GS finals an won the last two. :help: She embarrassed herself that day and even her fellow broadcaster Chris Fowler was all :confused: and :unsure: about her rambling. It's much easier to take her shtick on CBS and NBC because she is ALWAYS on the air with McEnroe and he keeps her in check because she's always fairly deferential to him and she knows he will call :bs: on her if it's necessary.

tennisbum79
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I hope she's not commentating on Vee's match tonight.
Unfortunately she is

Slammer7
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Unfortunately she is

Yes :sobbing: but from the first few minutes of this match Mary isn't going to corrupt Lindsay. She's still as good as ever. :hearts:

akosiirwyn
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Yes :sobbing: but from the first few minutes of this match Mary isn't going to corrupt Lindsay. She's still as good as ever. :hearts:

thankfully none of the streams are from TTC..

love your sig btw :)

wayitis
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:26 AM
I like Mary, she certainly has her biases, like everybody else, but she is one of the only ones not to be afraid of talking bad truths about players and coaches... Almost every other one, but especially Evert, Tracy and Mary Joe are so afraid of being disliked, that they tone down their criticism, if they ever wanna criticise someone, as they usually just dance around the issue... And Mary's voice tone, which is sometimes deemed down in here as being "manly", is actually perfect for TV, grave and smooth, like she's in a drinking table, instead of Austin's shrilly one and Mary Joe's and Evert's vacuous monotones...

And as far as I remember, Mary said that Maria was still the better player in her semifinal loss to Serena, when she had the matchpoints, not during that slaughtering of a final... Mary is actually one of the only female commentators alongside Martina, that would say blatant things about Maria's game for example... the others, including Lindsay, seem to be too involved financially or marketing wise, as in looking nice and fair, to say anything bad about the Sharapova PR machine...

Slammer7
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:30 AM
thankfully none of the streams are from TTC..

love your sig btw :)

TTC shuts down streams of their coverage sadly. :( It's fine when there is a Eurosport stream but on days like Saturday when they have exclusive coverage it's annoying.

Thanks, 2NE1 rocks! :hearts:

serenafann
Mar 27th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I think Lindsay is filled with too much professionalism and integrity [which is more than I can say about Mary Carillo] to be corrupted by anyone.

Potato
Mar 27th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I find her hilarious to listen to. At least she knows more about the game than Evert. Her tirade after the 09 USO was annoying as fuck though.

stevos
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Can we just keep talking about how wonderful Lindsay is in there. I always figured she'd make a great commentator, but she's really just got the perfect voice and tone for the matches. Love how you can hear her reminiscing on old matches with the players she's commentating on, like with Venus last night, saying what you should never do (like leave a floating shot up the middle and NOT expect her to take it out of the air). It's nothing people don't know but so nice coming from someone who was on the court, playing almost all of these girls.
She's just an incredibly fair and oozes integrity in her commentating.
Now, Mary....whatever, I'll take it. She makes some entertaining comments (not often intentionally though.)

GoofyDuck
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Lindsay

vozas
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Well, at least both of them stan HARD for Sharapova, so they'll agree on that quite often:)

lefty24
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:06 PM
WTF is she talking about during this Maria/Li match?

She's saying first break of the match when it's really the 3rd and she said that Hoggie left Maria for Li and then came back to her.

Tennisstar86
Mar 28th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I find her hilarious to listen to. At least she knows more about the game than Evert. Her tirade after the 09 USO was annoying as fuck though.

Evert may be blind in her hate of players and jealousy of the champions of today, but she is a champion. unlike that wanna be Carillo.

Carillo has her favorties and she keeps her nose shoved deep. All you need to know about Carillo is at 1:40 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYFFwiGdV0s

RenaSlam.
Mar 28th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Oy.

Expat
Mar 28th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Mary is the best commentator out there on WTA matches. She treats women's "tennis" correctly.

Stonerpova
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:11 AM
She claimed Maria was the better player after she was smashed by Serena in the AO final. She insisted. She's an idiot.

I've never thought her commentary was worth anything, and I've heard her commentating on matches since the 80s.

She did that more than in one occasion.

Serena is dominating the match before her eyes, and she still says Maria is the better player on the court right now

I think what she had going for her, is the notion that she is a pioneer for women among tennis commentators , most of them have been men, with women playing only a secondary role.

She has been praised from some quarters for being refreshing in her commentaries and getting off the beaten path.

And to continue living up to this reputation, it feels like she has to keep pushing the envelope of saying things out of the ordinary, among them is her constant bitching about women tennis, how ATP does this or that better than the women.

I like the fact she made inroad as the first woman, but I wish it was someone else.
Of course I can't change that.

She said Sharapova was a better player than Serena after the 2005 semi, not the 07 final guys.

Ever since Serena won the AO 07 Carillo's been way farther up Serena's ass than Maria's. I watched the 2010 Wimbledon final today and Carillo was basically creaming herself every time she talked about Serena. Damn good commentary, too.

Martian KC
Mar 28th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Love Mary. OMG! Mary and Martina commentating during RG would be amazeballs!