PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters on Azarenka

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Q. Can you talk about how do you feel about Victoria's run this year? Are you surprised she's still unbeatable until today?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Am I surprised? No. I was actually more surprised in the past that she wasn't able to, maybe not have this good of a run, but to you know, because she was a great player already in the past, but mentally she was, you know, so up and down. She was able to just go off during matches.
That has been, for me, the biggest change that I see in her. Okay, she's become a little bit of a better mover, but she's still the great ball striker that she's always been.
I think mentally she's just made the biggest change in having that extra confidence. You see that, you know, from the minute she walks out on court to when she steps off is there is a confidence that comes also through winning.
But she had matches in the past or tournaments where she's beaten some really good players, but then she would get down on herself or really disappointed against other top players. You don't see that anymore. I think she's matured in a way out on court.

bulava
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM
[B]
KIM CLIJSTERS: Am I surprised? No. I was actually more surprised in the past that she wasn't able to, maybe not have this good of a run, but to you know, because she was a great player already in the past, but mentally she was, you know, so up and down. She was able to just go off during matches.

I feel good to read good words from Kim on Vika. Thanks for sharing :)

Queenpova
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM
players forum

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM
players forum
Think! It will do you no harm.

miffedmax
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Interesting to see what Kim has to say.

Roookie
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Saint Kim :hearts:

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Interesting to see what Kim has to say.

:confused:

StoneRose
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Kim :yeah:.

Shivank17
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM
She is absolutely right. :yeah:
Vika always had the game, but was a mental wreck.

Trih
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Wise Kim says the truth!

Utterchaos
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
She is absolutely right. :yeah:
Vika always had the game, but was a mental wreck.

Let's be honest here. Azarenka has been beating on her pigeons this year. While her run is impressive, one cannot deny that the quality of her opponents she beat wasn't very high. It's nice that she's dominating and all, but you can't help but think that she has no rival at this point.

tejmeglekvár
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM
nothing new we didnt know already. :yawn:

Patrick345
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Let's be honest here. Azarenka has been beating on her pigeons this year. While her run is impressive, one cannot deny that the quality of her opponents she beat wasn't very high. It's nice that she's dominating and all, but you can't help but think that she has no rival at this point.

No how could this be denied. It´s not like she has beaten five of the other seven players that currently make up the top eight in the rankings. It´s not like more than 50%!!! of her 23 victories have come against top 15 players. It´s almost theoretically impossible for a top seed to even play more than half their matches against top 15 players. Yeah it could hardly have been any easier. I guess utterchaos refer to what goes on inside your head?

LUVMIRZA
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Maria said some thing like that too when asked abt Azarenka. People who followed her knew she has the talent to dominate the game. Nothing new here:shrug:

@Utterchaos - She beat Kim, LiNa,Maria, Aga, Sveta, Kerber etc this year. She hasnt had a chance to play against Serena or Petra if they are wat u mean by quality opponents. She'll get a chance to play them and we'll know then:angel:

Charlatan
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:06 PM

:yawn: and???

Utterchaos
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:11 PM
:yawn: and???

She has no-one to challenge her. Having no serious rivals is really disappointing.

Trih
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM

All true, but also the fact she's mentally more steady this year can't be denied either. I just think about her """injury""" in Doha against Radwanska, last year she probably had retired.

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:20 PM
:facepalm: Talk about a circular argument. That could be said about anyone who's ever dominated. If they aren't playing at a higher level than others then obviously they wouldn't be dominating. 'course I know that your flawed analysis is more on point that that of a player who has been in the top levels of to tour for years.

tejmeglekvár
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM

I would agree, but
a) she did something to have so many pigeons.
b) at least she did step up, unlike the rest of the draw who were doing happy dance after Serena and Kim bummed those ankles.

Vikapower
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Well Kimmie certainly though probably about that match in Toronto/Montreal they played in 2009 -- Vika was in total control and doing her usual of quickly dominating the opponent up until 4-1 and she completely went off the boil. The interaction that resulted on court between Van Grichen and Vika was one of an epic.

Let's be honest -- the only players able to string consecutive good matches are her pigeons. What does she have to do : Stop playing in sign of protestation or she beats whom she has to beat to advance in her career/achievements ? Vika can't carry all the other worries of WTA tennis on her shoulders in addition with hers.

Furthermore there's a psychological aspect you don't integrate in your statement -- Victoria has been pretty much dominating and sends that image, you can not negate the fact that it does influence the attitude and perception of certain of her opponents when they come to play her, right ?

So we could think Victoria is the reason why her opponents come with a certain form of fear and tend by consequence to either over-do things or accept. Kerber for example is very good player but in IW she felt she needed to do something more to touch Victoria, that performance doesn't take out her qualities but Victoria IS the direct reason why the quality we know her for dropped --

This is the perfect characteristic of domination. The image she sends of being THE 'boss'-- it was the same ago with Federer just go back in history (Hewitt, Roddick etc.)

miffedmax
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
There is no doubt that Vika is benefiting from a weak field right now, even as a Vikastan I will grant you that.

But, as pov points out, clearly Vika has stepped up her game--she certainly wasn't dominating like this last year, or the year before when the field was pretty much equally weak.

And-just as important-for all the whining and bitching and moaning, ain-t NOBODY else stepped it up either. For all the talk of "Real #1s" and "Real Slam Champions" and Vika being a pretender, nobody else is playing remotely as well as she is, except Martha, and Martha hasn't found a way to beat Vika.

This is not to say Vika is invincible, or among the all time greats. But she is clearly the best right now, her results show it, the rankings show it, and her trophy case shows it.

Charlatan
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM
She has no-one to challenge her. Having no serious rivals is really disappointing.

what was the last time there is a big rivalry in WTA, though?

Utterchaos
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM
You misunderstand. It's great for Vika that she is dominating. I am not hating. It's just bad in my opinion that she is head and shoulders above everyone else right now. She has no worthy rival. It's not her fault obviously, but it would be nice if we had some epic finals, not total blow outs, where her opponent struggles to win games.

jasonwright25
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I believe Radwanska is undefeated this season except for her 4 losses to Vika.

Petronius
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM
This is the perfect characteristic of domination. The image she sends of being THE 'boss'-- it was the same ago with Federer just go back in history (Hewitt, Roddick etc.)

Nice post, but too early for these comparisons. Vika is a combined 0-11 in her last 11 matches with Petra, Serena and Caro and we all know that these players have struggled with injuries, illnesses or just poor form this year.

Also, Victoria's run has been significantly facilitated by the fact that all those matches have been held on the same surface - slow outdoor hardcourts.

To sum up, she's playing great, but far from being compared to Federer

Vikapower
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Nice post, but too early for these comparisons. Vika is a combined 0-11 in her last 11 matches with Petra, Serena and Caro and we all know that these players have struggled with injuries, illnesses or just poor form this year.

Also, Victoria's run has been significantly facilitated by the fact that all those matches have been held on the same surface - slow outdoor hardcourts.

;) Don't worry. I don't compare Vika and Federer but there are certain aspects in domination you can find in both what Federer did and what Victoria is doing right now -- at least on a psychological stand-point. Sending an image like she does affects the opponent's perception.

I agree with her losing H2h to certain players -- but Vika can not force them to come and meet her and these players can not complain that Victoria is dodging them. She made 4 F and SF this year --

Petra does have a lot of things going with her recently (health), so I don't really like to use her as an example --

Petra/Maria's ranking make that they can only bounce with her late in events, Vika does her job and is very consistent going deep in events ; she's there to be played - but let's not forget that when she (Petra) was a little bit more in form :

Petra had her chance in Sydney, lost to Li, Petra had ANOTHER chance in AO lost to Maria -- both of these matches she was somewhat in control -- personally I want Victoria to face her fiercest competitors too but hey, Vika and I/you can't do nothing about it, we're just supporting. :lol: ;)

The surface change : It's imminent so we'll see how it affects Victoria. Again, Vika will dominate the scrubs pretty easily EVEN on clay so hopefully the other top girls will do their jobs and come. Yes, it should offer some great(er) fireworks. :p

slamchamp
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Saint Kim at it again..not surprising

serenafan08
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM
what was the last time there is a big rivalry in WTA, though?

IMO the last real good rivalry was Serena vs. Justine, and Serena vs. JCap. Venus vs. Jankovic had the potential to be a good one too, but they've both fallen off a little bit. There's too much inconsistency for a rivalry right now. The Williams sisters are on-again-off-again, and the players that play every week don't necessarily make it to the business ends of tournaments (Kvitova, Li, Stosur, Jankovic, Woz). Those who do underperform (Sharapova). It takes a certain sustained level to have a good rivalry, and no one on tour right now can do that.

Charlatan
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM
IMO the last real good rivalry was Serena vs. Justine, and Serena vs. JCap. Venus vs. Jankovic had the potential to be a good one too, but they've both fallen off a little bit. There's too much inconsistency for a rivalry right now. The Williams sisters are on-again-off-again, and the players that play every week don't necessarily make it to the business ends of tournaments (Kvitova, Li, Stosur, Jankovic, Woz). Those who do underperform (Sharapova). It takes a certain sustained level to have a good rivalry, and no one on tour right now can do that.

Exactly. That's what I want to imply. There is hardly any big rivalry these days so i don't get why anyone can cry over the fact that vika is dominating and beg for the rivalry.

bulava
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:11 AM
There is no doubt that Vika is benefiting from a weak field right now, even as a Vikastan I will grant you that.
I really doubt when people use the word 'weak' field. Look at her shortcomings such as serve etc, but recently said that she's improving her game. I'm referring to the very latest match against that Slovak (how Vika went blank in the first set and fought back). Also, when people say she can't beat Serena et al, let me refresh their memories:

2009 Sony Ericsson Open: Azarenka was #10 but was relatively unknown, she beat top ranked Serena Williams 6-4, 6-1 in the final. After the match, Serena went on to say: Obviously, she has potential and is going to be a really good player.

This is not to say Vika is invincible, or among the all time greats. But she is clearly the best right now, her results show it, the rankings show it, and her trophy case shows it.
I agree. I had to swallow this just like having a very bitter pill. That was during MotoGP 2006 Championship season final race in Valencia, Spain. Valentino Rossi crashed from his bike, leading the championship and gunning for 6th world title in series but lost his title just by 5 points!! :eek:

VGGiu1xmCqA

Many sports personalities follow/idolize Roger Federer but guys like Federer get inspired from his contemporary greats such as Valentino Rossi. So since 2006 end, I don't believe any sports person on this planet is really invincible :)

oh yeah i guess
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Unfair to add the H2H with Wozniacki into the conversation as they haven't played a proper 'match' since 2010.