PDA

View Full Version : kim retiring again?

doujyr
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM
some stuff on twitter about it. wouldn't be a surprise, body can't seem to take it for more than a few matches in a row any more.

vswfan
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
source?

Polikarpov
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Didn't her camp just announce that she'll be entering Rome and Madrid in preparation for Roland Garros?

benbest
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/tennis/120325_Clijsters_Wickmayer_reacties

"Dit moet een paar dagen bezinken. We moeten evalueren hoe de voorbije maanden verlopen zijn, ook fysiek. En daarna richt ik mij vol op Roland Garros, met de toernooien van Madrid en Rome als voorbereiding."

she's evaluating how the previous months went and then she's going to focus on Roland Garros.

LUVMIRZA
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
stopping that part timer from winning another slam at AO was the best thing done by Vika this year:worship:

pedropt
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Filip Dewulf is saying it on Twitter. He is usually a very reliable source.

Dewulf Filip ‏ @GraveyardFilip
Kim Clijsters contemplating (early) retirement. Says her body is holding her back. Few days with family in law to think things over. #SEOpen

:sad:

J4m3ka
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM
stopping that part timer from winning another slam at AO was the best thing done by Vika this year:worship:

No doubt injuries are a nuisance - but would we really be hearing this stuff about retirement if Kim had won that final set against Vika and took AO title? :shrug:

babsi
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Similar pattern to 2007. Not just the injuries, but motivation.

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM
http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/tennis/120325_Clijsters_Wickmayer_reacties

"Dit moet een paar dagen bezinken. We moeten evalueren hoe de voorbije maanden verlopen zijn, ook fysiek. En daarna richt ik mij vol op Roland Garros, met de toernooien van Madrid en Rome als voorbereiding."

she's evaluating how the previous months went and then she's going to focus on Roland Garros.

She's evaluating how the previous month's gone? I can save her some time and tell her quite simply "not very well."

Dexter
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM
She wont play any clay court tournaments apart from RG maybe yet again and then she'll announce her retirement following a farewell tour where WTA will be issuing weeping tissues with her pictures. :rolleyes:

Halepsova
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:04 AM
She's such a friggin quitter. :rolleyes: :o

Yoncé
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
At least it wont take her very long to evaluate the last few months.

Utterchaos
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Wouldn't surprise me, she knows young players are stepping up, so she's not going to vulture anymore easy slams like AO 2011 anymore :shrug: A few more Makarova-like losses for Serena and she'll be gone too.

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't surprise me, she knows young players are stepping up, so she's not going to vulture anymore easy slams like AO 2011 anymore :shrug: A few more Makarova-like losses for Serena and she'll be gone too.

let me guess which poster you are :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Quits for the second time when things get tougher, what a champion :worship:

cecilija
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Quits for the second time when things get tougher, what a champion :worship:

That's quite logical. Everybody retires when it gets tough, not just Clijsters.

Rare are those who retire when on the height of their powers. Actually, they don't exist.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM
That's quite logical. Everybody retires when it gets tough, not just Clijsters.

Nope.

There is a difference between retiring when you get beaten a couple of times and retiring when its impossible to carry on.

Clijsters said that her decision is going to be based on how she has performed over the past couple of months, which shows that she is retiring because she is finding it hard to win. Thats a quitter.

Look at players like Sharapova (that shoulder issue) /Venus (her disease) / Serena (clots in her lungs). They all could have legitimately said that they can't carry on any further, and no one would've blamed them. But they didn't, they decided to stay and face their demons. Thats what makes a champion.

Rare are those who retire when on the height of their powers. Actually, they don't exist.

Henin did :lol: and thats even worse. Running away at the mere thought that some other players might be catching upto you.

The Witch-king
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
That's quite logical. Everybody retires when it gets tough, not just Clijsters. Rare are those who retire when on the height of their powers. Actually, they don't exist.

Not true.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:19 AM
she's found out she can no longer fluke slams

Mynarco
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Again :o? Come on :o

The Dawntreader
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Gutless.

Pops Maellard
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Don't do it Kimothy. You were gonna retire after this year anyway :o.

Uranus
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Nope.

There is a difference between retiring when you get beaten a couple of times and retiring when its impossible to carry on.

Clijsters said that her decision is going to be based on how she has performed over the past couple of months, which shows that she is retiring because she is finding it hard to win. Thats a quitter.

Look at players like Sharapova (that shoulder issue) /Venus (her disease) / Serena (clots in her lungs). They all could have legitimately said that they can't carry on any further, and no one would've blamed them. But they didn't, they decided to stay and face their demons. Thats what makes a champion.

Henin did :lol: and thats even worse. Running away at the mere thought that some other players might be catching upto you.

I don't think she was referring to her latest results, but more about her physique. That's what she wrote. Obviously results can't be too good as she's only played 3 tournaments in less than a year. That's what she wrote so guys try to understand Dutch before being insulting.

cecilija
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Nope.

Henin did :lol: and thats even worse. Running away at the mere thought that some other players might be catching unto you.

Biased as usual. When the three players mentioned above retire, that would mean they couldn't carry any longer :lol: Right. How do you know whether they they could carry on or not? Yet another case of biased, fairy-tale, soapish drivel.

You are talking as if there were some criteria set based on which it is legitimate to retire or not. There are none, apart from the nonsensical double standard partiality.

Clijsters has had more or as serious surgeries/ailments as mentioned above and has been coping with a string of injuries lately. She has been struggling because of that, not because she is so scared of losing to the Azarenkas and Wozniackis of the tour.

As for Henin, she didn't retire at the height of her powers. Quite the contrary, she retired when she hit rock bottom gamewise and energywise. At that time, she felt she couldn't carry any longer which seems to be a legitimate reason to retire in your book.

mauresmofan
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
why would she retire when it's only a few months to the Olympics

Miss Atomic Bomb
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Biased as usual. When the three players mentioned above retire, that would mean they couldn't carry any longer :lol: Right. How do you know whether they they could carry on or not? Yet another case of biased, fairy-tale, soapish drivel.

You are talking as if there were some criteria set based on which it is legitimate to retire or not. There are none, apart from the nonsensical double standard partiality.

Clijsters has had more or as serious surgeries/ailments as mentioned above and has been coping with a string of injuries lately. She has been struggling because of that, not because she is so scared of losing to the Azarenkas and Wozniackis of the tour.

As for Henin, she didn't retire at the height of her powers. Quite the contrary, she retired when she hit rock bottom gamewise and energywise. At that time, she felt she couldn't carry any longer which seems to be a legitimate reason to retire in your book.

You are calling me biased when you are busy every little ailment kim has suffered during her career :lol: And Ankle injury? injuries like that are a part of the sport. Kim was fit enough to play in Miami, fit enough to play a three setter in the round 1.

And regarding justine hitting rock bottom, losing a couple of matches doesnt count as hitting rock bottom :lol: When you are at the top, you come down eventually, but quitting because you suffer a few loses is cowardly and gutless.

Kworb
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Why the Kim hate? She's a mom, she just plays a few tournaments sometimes as a hobby. She's not running away scared, she's been a part time player ever since her comeback. She's had her 20+ tournament seasons and enjoyed many big wins, and now she has earned the right to do as she pleases.

cecilija
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM
You are calling me biased when you are busy every little ailment kim has suffered during her career :lol: And Ankle injury? injuries like that are a part of the sport. Kim was fit enough to play in Miami, fit enough to play a three setter in the round 1.

And regarding justine hitting rock bottom, losing a couple of matches doesnt count as hitting rock bottom :lol: When you are at the top, you come down eventually, but quitting because you suffer a few loses is cowardly and gutless.

I am not biased as I don't really care about Clijsters at all, I just can't stand the double standards. She has been struggling with injuries for a year now. I am not going into the seriousness of those injuries, but she has been out for months, and missing tournaments she def would have played otherwise, eg. grand slams, so that would suggest they were serious indeed.

She is a walking mummy at the moment, so it is logical to evaluate whether it is worth carrying on any further.

Henin didn't hit rock bottom because she lost some matches, she hit rock bottom because she was completely burnt out.

Mynarco
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM
but now? At least she should just wait till after USO? :shrug:

sammy01
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM
if kim feels her body is letting her down and she cant play at the level she wants to then as a fan i am more than happy to see her walk away knowing she didn't put in shitfest matches like venus did the other day looking half dead.

kim has a child, wants more and plays tennis to enjoy it and win. if the enjoyment and therefore winning isn't there she would be an idiot to carry on, not brave or a fighter!!!111!!!one!!1

Chance
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
A few more Makarova-like losses for Serena and she'll be gone too.

wishful thinking:rolleyes:

I would think Kim would want to play Wimbly and the Olympics and then go have more kids...

Critique
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
i am more than happy to see her walk away knowing she didn't put in shitfest matches like venus did the other day looking half dead.

Kim has played about 3 clean matches since she returned to the sport :o

StoneRose
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
people on this forum are so fucking stupid, reetard and dawntreader grow the fuck up. when your precious WS retire, and it wont be at age 41, i'll cite date krumm and say they are both quitters because they obviously could have carried on if she can.

if kim feels her body is letting her down and she cant play at the level she wants to then as a fan i am more than happy to see her walk away knowing she didn't put in shitfest matches like venus did the other day looking half dead.

kim has a child, wants more and plays tennis to enjoy it and win. if the enjoyment and therefore winning isn't there she would be an idiot to carry on, not brave or a fighter!!!111!!!one!!1:yeah:. It's up to Kim, should she decide to call it a day i'd understand. She can look back on a very good career.

Mixal
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
i am more than happy to see her walk away knowing she didn't put in shitfest matches like venus did the other day looking half dead.

Stop pretending that you are objective in every fuckin post.

sammy01
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:13 PM

seriously if kim is struggling with her body i don't wanna watch. the oz open was as a fan hard to swallow. struggling on her ankle, trying but not being the player she can be.

i would think if i was a venus fan (heck i am feeling it even though i aint a fan) i would be feeling the same right now. watching venus gasping for breath with half paced rallies with wozniack was sad. :sad:

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:27 PM

kim has a child, wants more and plays tennis to enjoy it and win. if the enjoyment and therefore winning isn't there she would be an idiot to carry on, not brave or a fighter!!!111!!!one!!1

and you're right, she didn't put up shitfest matches like venus looking half dead...she put up those shitfests while being fully fit over players like wozniack :happy:

and re: your last point....serena admitted (later) that she went through horrible depression due to her sister's shooting death, her own injuries and obviously not having the same success as 2002/03...maria can't be finding it easy having to grind against players she used to swat aside (and she's only 24)....venus could have retired long ago when her symptoms started showing (for her - the tingling fingers, being short of breath, aching joints)....yet those three have continued on without quitting....they've all taken necessary time sporadically and tried again even when others call for their retirement ( like you do with venus )...if they can continue on after major surgeries, depression and a chronic auto-immune disease then i'm quite sure kim can carry on...

or should those 3 go and have children before they get to retire as much as they want!!11111one! :happy:

AcesHigh
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I can't help myself.

I am both a Venus fan AND a Kim fan so I would hope I have a little objectivity here.

If Kim wants to retire, that's up to her.. she shouldn't be ridiculed for it or insulted. As a fan, you do not want to see Kim play like she did in 2006 and 2007.. totally uninspired and unmotivated.

But sammy bringing up Venus is total bullshit. As a fan, you want to see your fave on court playing and enjoying herself even if it's on the challenger level. To see Venus MOTIVATED and FIGHTING despite a career-crippling disease is one of the most amazing things a fan can experience because you know that is a CHAMPION's mentality.

If Kim retires, it's because she doesn't WANT to play, not because she CAN'T. That's okay with me.. but it also goes to show what everyone knows which is that mentally and in terms of a champion's heart and mentality with a thirst for greatness, Kim does not compare to Venus, Serena, Henin or Sharapova. Talent-wise and physically, she rivals Serena but she doesn't have 1% of her heart.

Viktymise
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
she [St. Kim] just plays a few tournaments sometimes as a hobby.

Sounds like she's giving the game all the respect it deserves.

Dawson.
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Reading this thread reminded me why I rarely come on this board these days.

The Dawntreader
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Venus and Sin don't even compare. Venus is way past her prime, dealing with chronic health issues that threaten to curtail her career at every turn, and yet she's on tour, and trying to compete and win in a sport she loves, despite obvious and insurmountable frailties.

Unlike Sin who flits in and out of the game whenever she likes.

VishaalMaria
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM
In all honesty, we don't really know her situation.

She is a mother and so that comes first but if she feels her tennis and subsequent injuries are impeding upon that, then she has every right to retire if she wants to.

It'll still be nice to see her play Roland Garros. She shouldn't have that one sole 1st round loss since coming back from retirement.

cecilija
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Venus and Sin don't even compare. Venus is way past her prime, dealing with chronic health issues that threaten to curtail her career at every turn, and yet she's on tour, and trying to compete and win in a sport she loves, despite obvious and insurmountable frailties.

Unlike Sin who flits in and out of the game whenever she likes.

No, she's not :help: This is her first tournament in ages.

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:53 PM
:bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave:

Juju rulez. :bowdown:

The Dawntreader
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:54 PM
No, she's not :help: This is her first tournament in ages.

And why is that? :tape: Seriously, understand the context.

cecilija
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM
And why is that? :tape: Seriously, understand the context.

Context or not, what you said is factually incorrect.

sweetadri06
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:56 PM
who cares if she decides to retire? she got a child, I'm sure that's more important.

thrust
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM
She's such a friggin quitter. :rolleyes: :o

She is NOT a quitter! I think that she and Venus are at the point where the body can no longer stand the rigors of the WTA tour. Kim played a very physical game and it still amazes me that she lasted as long as she has. The two year layoff certainly helped, but to come back and do as well as she did, is amazing. I think her mental attitude and husband had a lot to do with her return success, as there was little pressure on her to do so well. Probably too much was expected of her in the first career, pressure she could not overcome.

MakarovaFan
Mar 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM
So for the sake of a few tags like "gutless" "quitter" a player should continue on in a career totally unmotivated with a body that breaks down every other match and begin to tarnish their legacy by becoming a 20-40s "has been" that loses to absolute scrubs and nobodys???:confused:

I'm sorry but i would NEVER want to see my favorite that way....Mauresmo's last few years on tour were begining to look that way(though Paris Ind and Madrid saved her final season) and it very sad to see a champ go out that way. PS Venus's situation is SOOO different(even Maria and Serena), she wants badly to play and is highly motivated; Kim has a kid and family, so what's the point of beating your body done doing potential life damage?

n1_and_uh_noone
Mar 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Let's see Serena, Venus and Sharpie play after becoming mommies :lol:

Beat
Mar 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
So for the sake of a few tags like "gutless" "quitter" a player should continue on in a career totally unmotivated with a body that breaks down every other match and begin to tarnish their legacy by becoming a 20-40s "has been" that loses to absolute scrubs and nobodys???:confused:

this.
but people on this board have at some point decided that it's "cool" to bash kim, for what reason is secondary - even if it's just an unconfirmed rumour :facepalm:

Critique
Mar 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Context or not, what you said is factually incorrect.

It's factually correct. As The Dawntreader made the post Venus is currently in the 4th round of Miami. I call that being on tour.

cecilija
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
It's factually correct. As The Dawntreader made the post Venus is currently in the 4th round of Miami. I call that being on tour.

Being on tour means playing regularly, not playing three matches after being inactive for months.

fifty-fifty
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Not good. She should at least stick around until Olympics.

Critique
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Being on tour means playing regularly, not playing three matches after being inactive for months.

So Venus isn't on tour right now? Since we're talking about being "factually correct" :rolleyes:

The Dawntreader
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:10 PM

You say it like she's had a choice in the matter.

HRHoliviasmith
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Bye. :wavey:

WowWow
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Bye. :wavey:

:haha:

I second that!:kiss:

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
who cares if she decides to retire? she got a child, I'm sure that's more important.
Federer has two. Yeah, I do get that the old stereotypes of motherhood still carry weight - even among those who like to think that they're beyond them. Sure during the last 2/3s of pregnancy and maybe for 6 months after there is a viable reason to not play. But once the child is born there is nothing detrimental about being a pro athlete and a mother. Clijsters and many other women have already shown that. In Clijsters case I think the main thing is that she wants to have another child in the next year or so.

donellcarey
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
No surprise here.

homogenius
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
some people are so bitter :lol:
Kim is not a quitter.She is one of the rare player on tour who has a kid and has been struggling with injuries for a long time now.Most (top) players in the same situtation would have retire already.

itzhak
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM
l4Vv4GhEc-Y&feature

She is saying that she is planning to play in Madrid and Rome.

Jane Lane
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:27 PM
One part timer gone is good enough for me. :shrug: Good luck to her.

kitb
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I could devote more than one sentence to the whole bunch of useful haters on here but I will not.
So here's my second sentence, telling you guys that this whole thing came from Filip Dewulf's tweet. Although he probably knows a bit more than what he says (or not), there's been no official mention or whatsoever of a possible retirement. Let's clear this up. Kim and her team will evaluate what the last months have been like (not that difficult) and what can best be done. But Kim might as well announce her retirement tomorrow morning. I just wish she can stay healthy for the whole rest of the season and play the tourneys she's supposed to play to give us some more tennis memories.

And even if she had to retire earlier this season, it would be justified. To me it's not about 'having no guts' or 'quitting when it gets tougher'; if she cannot play two tournaments in a row without getting injured, knowing she's achieved more than she possibly will in the future (there's no denying that), having a family and other things in mind too, I guess it's all very understandable.

Still I effin don't want her to retire. EVER. :devil:

EDIT: Mind you, this still has to be confirmed but apparently her manager (Bob Verbeeck) did say she would take some time to think it all over since she has got 3 injuries right now (including the hip one again, and 1 of the 3 being a bit more serious)...

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:36 PM
some stuff on twitter about it. wouldn't be a surprise, body can't seem to take it for more than a few matches in a row any more.
I guess having kids can do that to you... not I have any first hand experience with that.

Unlike Justine Henin and Martina Hingis, Kim second act enhanced her overall career rather than tarnish it in the case of Hingis, or brought it down a notch in the case of Henin.

Kim can retire with her head held high, knowing she has done good for the sport and set a good example as a working mother for her daughter.

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I guess having kids can do that to you... not I have any first hand experience with that.

Maybe it could. But it would be very unusual. Clijsters was already having much injuries before she was a mother.

NA-GOAT
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:57 PM
she should have retired earlier before the Na match in AO :tape:

Setsuna.
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Wow! So many Kim haters here.

Beat
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Federer has two. Yeah, I do get that the old stereotypes of motherhood still carry weight - even among those who like to think that they're beyond them. Sure during the last 2/3s of pregnancy and maybe for 6 months after there is a viable reason to not play. But once the child is born there is nothing detrimental about being a pro athlete and a mother. Clijsters and many other women have already shown that. In Clijsters case I think the main thing is that she wants to have another child in the next year or so.

there are way, way more fathers than mothers on tour. which top player apart from clijsters is a mother? i'm sure it's because more players' wives are ready to carry the family and let their husbands have their tennis careers than husbands taking care of the family so their wives can play on the tour. it's pitiful, i know, but that's the way it is.
anyway, as soon as your children go to kindergarten or school (which is probably true for jada very soon), there's no way you can carry on as a tennis pro. unless you don't mind never seeing your family.

Tomic
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mary Carillo Just said herself that Kim thinking About considering retirement so it not a rumor

Sammo
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Jesus no, play the Olympics!!

dsanders06
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Ugh. Don't do it, Kim.

sammy01
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM

that is not true, jada will be starting school soon, she cant and wont be able to be on the road like she has been and it would be detrimental to kim as a mother to leave her child for weeks on end.

Mixal
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM

seriously if kim is struggling with her body i don't wanna watch. the oz open was as a fan hard to swallow. struggling on her ankle, trying but not being the player she can be.

i would think if i was a venus fan (heck i am feeling it even though i aint a fan) i would be feeling the same right now. watching venus gasping for breath with half paced rallies with wozniack was sad. :sad:

Yeah, it was sad, but if she wants to play...

But you know what I was referring to- Kim put many shitfests in her comeback. However, unlike some posters here, I think she deserved all her success, because you know, she actually won these matches and slams.

It would be a shame if she had to retire before the Olympics.

John.
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Really hope she stays around until at least the USO

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Wow! So many Kim haters here.
Then you have not read my post

sammy01
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah, it was sad, but if she wants to play...

But you know what I was referring to- Kim put many shitfests in her comeback. However, unlike some posters here, I think she deserved all her success, because you know, she actually won these matches and slams.

It would be a shame if she had to retire before the Olympics.

playing shit because you are not playing well is part of tennis, playing crap because your body is letting you down is a sure sign of time to hang up the rackets.

i love kim, but i don't wanna see her go through her body breaking down for a second time. she has done amazingly in her comeback, there is no need or point in her taking jada half way round the world for her to lose 3rd round in miami with another injury.

it is not just kim's life she has to look after it is jada's and it seems right now the risk is not worth the reward.

i would admire her more for deffinately ending her career when she feels right this year, than playing injured and not enjoying it.

BlueTrees
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
She's such a drama Queen. Just retire and piss off forever. Make your mind up FFS. I'm so over her. :bigwave:

RenaSlam.
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
The hate for Kim in this thread is laughable.

She has been struggling with injuries for years and definitely wants another baby. I don't see the fire in her that she had in 09/10, but that's her right. She's comeback once already after a pregnancy, without a doubt that should give you an idea of her desire and motivation.

People calling her a quitter. WTH?

Trickle
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Just try to hold on for the Olympics Kim, please. :sad:

As for this thread...

Can we at least just wait first for her to make an official announcement before people start their bashing. Some just can't help themselves can they. :rolleyes:

The vitriol in this thread is astounding.

So if Kim retires now she's a quitter who just couldn't hack it, as opposed to the possibility that she obviously realises her body can't keep up anymore?

Last time I checked, most tennis players retire in their late 20s - early 30s. Mid 30s if they are talented, healthy or dedicated enough. Nature tells us that generally, that is when the body for a tennis player is no longer able to keep up competitively. I don't really think anyone would be surprised if any of the aging grandmas on the tour were to lose matches they wouldn't have when they were at their prime.

People are basically playing the waiting game with all of them to see how long they can keep it up before this new generation takes over. So Kim most likely would be the first to bow out? We all KNEW this considering she was the ONLY one to make an announcement that 2012 would be her last year, the surprise is that this announcement is sooner than expected.

Why are people using tennis player's circumstances against each other anyway? Every tennis player has their nadirs. Kim's baggage just isn't as unfortunate to her physical tennis career as a life threatening injury or a career threatening illness. Is that her fault?

Infact some might argue that losing a parent a year after that parent's grandchild is born is a worse pill to swallow than having a physical ailment that eventually heals over time. But she came back and won tournaments. They all did. And even if they didn't so what? A tennis player should be applauded for wanting to come back at all after being through a rough patch in their life.

Kim has a child and probably wants another one soon. She doesn't give a shit how people see her. She is too busy making sure she is a part of Jada's childhood to care.

Pitting one player's hardships against another's just magnetizes how much of a sad soul you are rather than pointing out a human's ability to overcome adversity, whether physical, mental or psychological.

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:56 PM
The hate for Kim in this thread is laughable.

She has been struggling with injuries for years and definitely wants another baby. I don't see the fire in her that she had in 09/10, but that's her right. She's comeback once already after a pregnancy, without a doubt that should give you an idea of her desire and motivation.

People calling her a quitter. WTH?
I too am puzzled by the negative reaction this is getting. She has done all she can do and more.

She had hinted at this in the past.

She is a mother of a kid who is starting school.
She need to be involved at her school, attending parent conference at school, establishing some stability in her daughter's life.

Charlatan
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Reading this thread reminded me why I rarely come on this board these days.

right? it's all about their favorites being God and once the other player is mentioned in a thread, all these fans of certain players come flogging under the thread and take a jab at the player first. mind you, they would be the same crybabies if the jabs are directed at their favorites. i love double standard on TF

Sir Stefwhit
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Whatever decision she makes I'm supporting her, although it would be disappointing if she didn't get to play the Olympics like she originally planned. Whether it's physical burnout, mental- or both, she's gotta have the fight to endure. If her motivation is waning, then that won't translate into wins on the court so it would be best to call it quits rather than lose to some unknown MUGgete..

hurricanejeanne
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Ah, the Saint Kim Farewell Tour Redux begins.
She'll play out through the US Open methinks unless she has a serious injury or gets pregnant. She simply won't play a lot of tournaments. :shrug:

Vuvurenka
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I hope Kim stays til at least after the Olympics are over. Would hate to see her leave prematurely. However if she thinks she lacks the physical capacity to stay in the game or has lost motivation, then I'm all for her enjoying her family life, as long as she is happy.

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I hope Kim stays til at least after the Olympics are over. Would hate to see her leave prematurely. However if she thinks she lacks the physical capacity to stay in the game or has lost motivation, then I'm all for her enjoying her family life, as long as she is happy.
She had parental responsibility of a daughter who is going to school soon and need stable environment at home; she need to be involved, like other parents with school administration.

The Witch-king
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:41 PM
she should have never come back in the first place toi be frank

VishaalMaria
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM
she should have never come back in the first place toi be frank

LOL! She won three singles slams after coming back.

shoryuken
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
It's her life and her body :shrug: Have a good life.

pattyclijsters
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Quits for the second time when her body doesn't hold out anymore, what a champion :worship:

corrected, you're welcome :)

pattyclijsters
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM
She's such a drama Queen. Just retire and piss off forever. Make your mind up FFS. I'm so over her. :bigwave:

OMG, I am so sorry for you! Wait a minute... NOT.

jasonwright25
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Good for Kim. Great person and had a great career.

thrust
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM

Kim's sin for some here, is that due to her comeback, the Williams sisters were prevented from winning more slams. In 09, she was the only player capable of beating either Venus or Serena in that USO. In 10 she ruined Venus chance in the USO, probably the only player that year capable of doing so.

pattyclijsters
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Where did Kim say that? She said, she will evaluate the past couple of months, also physically: "We moeten evalueren hoe de voorbije maanden verlopen zijn, ook fysiek." It didn't come to your mind to actually check what she wrote... Do your homework!!! Even google translate was enough, I believe, to check it.

Anyway: If Serena/Venus/Maria play on, despite having gone through physical and mental issues, shows to me that they are now fully fit to play. So they play. Kim isn't. So she has every right to save her body from potential long lasting damage. If that is what you call a quitter... No need to discuss with you any longer.

More:
Maria was 21/22 when the shoulder injury occured. That's about 6/7 years earlier than Clijsters current situation.
Venus and Serena live completely different lives. They are majorly responsible only for themselves, Kim is not. She has a daughter, if you knew...

Trih
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:41 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Clijsterskim/status/184333662433718273

:shrug:

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
She need to be involved at her school, attending parent conference at school, establishing some stability in her daughter's life.
She's not a single parent. The kid's father can handle all that - very arbitrary stuff - just as well. The subtly sexist idea that women should put their lives on hold to rear children is a tenacious one. If they genuinely want to that's great. But it's still often seen as the proper role.

kitb
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
:bounce: 'Told ya.' 'Told ya.' 'Told ya.' :bounce:

The Witch-king
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Exactly.

How did you get in your flag?

tennisbum79
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM
She's not a single parent. The kid's father can handle all that - very arbitrary stuff - just as well. The subtly sexist idea that women should put their lives on hold to rear children is a tenacious one. If they genuinely want to that's great. But it's still often seen as the proper role.
I think it is Kim's choice

LoveFifteen
Mar 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Kim just tweeted this: "I dont know who started the rumors... I am not quitting!! Not yet! I have some great tennis left in me! Just making that very clear! Thanks for the support guys... Kim"

Matt01
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Kim just tweeted this: "I dont know who started the rumors... I am not quitting!! Not yet! I have some great tennis left in me! Just making that very clear! Thanks for the support guys... Kim"

According to this thread she should look out for DeWulf and Carillo :oh:

flareon
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Well done kimmy fighting talk please win some more tournaments she is also rumoured for eastbourne this year, but its just chinese whispers from what I have heard.

Pie800
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
:woohoo:
Now bugger off, haters! :kiss:

Pie800
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Very arbitrary? You must be joking, right? Furthermore, I hardly think that is a matter that should concern you - it is one's personal choice and I hardly think you are justified in making judgements as to whether or not she should put her career on hold for her child. She clearly wants to be able to raise her child and expand her family. That has always been her intention, she's been very vocal about it. I personally would not want to miss out on my child's formative years by traveling from country to country to play sport. She's been traveling and playing tennis - mostly - since her teens and at a certain point it's time to move on. She clearly feels that her time will come at the end of this year.

Charlatan
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM

YESS...and in your face to all those posters who were calling her 'quitters' 'gutless'

nfl46
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Funny, Vika is dominating, Williams Sisters are back, Maria playing well and Kim wants to leave AGAIN....hmm. She wasn't saying that when the tour was WEAK and no one was there to beat her.

Edit: Nevermind, she's not retiring. She could at least finish the year out. 5 HUGE tournaments let to win, the 3 GS+Olympics+YEC..

The Witch-king
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Obviously we're all made of different stuff. Some admire others for giving their all and never giving up inspie of incredible odds stacked against them, whereas you probably identify more with Bob the Builder or George the Janitor.

Gawain
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:03 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Clijsterskim/status/184333662433718273

:shrug:

Although I don't have high hopes for Kim this year, the good thing is these rumors apparently make her angry.
Maybe people saying she's done for is just what she needs...

doujyr
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Kim Clijsters ‏ @Clijsterskim Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
I dont know who started the rumors... I am not quitting!! Not yet! I have some great tennis left in me! Just making that very clear!

Halepsova
Mar 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Kim :D :woohoo:

timafi
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I don't see how Kim can play both RG,Wimbledon and the Olympics at Wimbledon so close to each other considering she's so prone to injuries and footwork on the grass is a real bitch for her :scared:

she's got more of a chance in Paris.DON'T retire now Kim :hug:

edificio
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Mary Carillo Just said herself that Kim thinking About considering retirement so it not a rumor

Are you serious? That confirms that it is just a rumor. :lol::help:

that is not true, jada will be starting school soon, she cant and wont be able to be on the road like she has been and it would be detrimental to kim as a mother to leave her child for weeks on end.

She's not a single mother. Detrimental to her child? Don't think so.

tennisphilia
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Still hope she gets to be in fighting shape for WIMBLEDON and the OLYMPICS. I was hoping for another match-up with Serena in Miami this year... Maybe it will happen at the French?

Martian Jeza
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:00 AM
She said on www.sporza.be : she wasn't planing to retire : Only stupid rumors

Londoner
Mar 27th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Similar pattern to 2007. Not just the injuries, but motivation.

This.

Martian Jeza
Mar 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Kim Clijsters - Official
Twitter: I dont know who started the rumors... I am not quitting!! Not yet! I have some great tennis left in me! Just making that very clear!

Beat
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM

:facepalm: you obviously don't have children. arbitrary stuff? LMAO. it's just stupid to suggest that it doesn't matter to a child whether his/her father and/or mother is around or not. sure, nobody should "put their lives on hold" once they have children, but never being around is a completely different thing.

nevetssllim
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Well done kimmy fighting talk please win some more tournaments she is also rumoured for eastbourne this year, but its just chinese whispers from what I have heard.

Think she's due to play Rosmalen again.

Israel
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Well I don't really believe her. She keeps getting injured and losing weird matches. I don't know.

benbest
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.unicefopen.nl/en/news/news-overview.html

Kim will play Rosmalen in preparation for Wimbledon and the Olympics.

BluSthil
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM
If the rumor is true, then Kim should retire now. Her mental and physical abilities are lacking. if Gold is on her mind, she is kidding herself. Several players would take her out early.

pov
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM
:facepalm: you obviously don't have children. arbitrary stuff? LMAO. it's just stupid to suggest that it doesn't matter to a child whether his/her father and/or mother is around or not. sure, nobody should "put their lives on hold" once they have children, but never being around is a completely different thing.
Yes - very arbitrary stuff. What you think sending children to the normal school system is some kind of divine mandate. There are forms of education that are far more beneficial to children's development. And who suggested that it doesn't matter whether parent(s) are around. It can. And within the nuclear family setup - it does . . big time. Not to mention than when one loves their kids one wants to be around them as much as possible. You make a lot of assumptions. It's fine to disagree but deal with what a person actually states not your own inferences. My point is that a househusband is as valid a parent as a housewife. But most people still don't see it that way.

Betty
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
She Is Not!!!!!!she Never Say That!!!!read Twitter!

Pie800
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Yes - very arbitrary stuff. What you think sending children to the normal school system is some kind of divine mandate. There are forms of education that are far more beneficial to children's development. And who suggested that it doesn't matter whether parent(s) are around. It can. And within the nuclear family setup - it does . . big time. Not to mention than when one loves their kids one wants to be around them as much as possible. You make a lot of assumptions. It's fine to disagree but deal with what a person actually states not your own inferences. My point is that a househusband is as valid a parent as a housewife. But most people still don't see it that way.

I think you need to re-assess your understanding of the word 'arbitrary'. Because you are using it in the completely incorrect context. With that said, I don't really get what you're arguing for here? Are you trying to make a statement that men are equally capable of raising and caring for children? Because while we're all aware that that is very much the case, it's still totally irrelevant to this debate. As I stated in my previous response to your previous post, Clijsters has been very vocal of her intention to raise her child and expand her family. It has nothing to do with household conventions or the traditional family setup. She has given most of her life to tennis and has no intention to miss the formative years of her child's upbringing, which is completely understandable.

sammy01
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:55 PM
If the rumor is true, then Kim should retire now. Her mental and physical abilities are lacking. if Gold is on her mind, she is kidding herself. Several players would take her out early.

this makes no sense? if gold is on her mind then her mental abilities are still there and not lacking at all. you still have to look at how wickmayer shit herself at the thought of beating kim and realise if she gets healthy and wants to win gold/RG/wimbledon it would be a very select few who have the balls to stop her.

Betty
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM
If the rumor is true, then Kim should retire now. Her mental and physical abilities are lacking. if Gold is on her mind, she is kidding herself. Several players would take her out early.And all the other players will lose too! There is only ONE WINNER!

Rocketta
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM
If Kim wants to retire for whatever reason it's her right. She does not have to stay doing something she doesn't want to for whatever reason. :shrug:

It's ok to say, "Kim's not a fighter, or Kim's heart just isn't into tennis." That is all ok things for someone to be. If being a mom is more important to her that is as legitimate as let's say someone like a player who lives and breathes tennis. Some people work jobs because they are good at it but it's never going to be their true love and some people do a job because they love it... sometimes they are really good at and sometimes they are just average.... that's life. :shrug:

Fyi, I seriously doubt having a child or having a child about to go to school has any influence in this decision because one, Kim has a partner, and many family members to help and two, kids can be home schooled they don't have to go to a traditional brick and mortar school. Third, Kim has enough money to bring all these people with her no matter where she is going and Fourth, Kim is not playing week in and week out so we are not talking about either being away from her daughter for months on end OR carrying her daughter around the world for months on end.

Maybe it's just me, I suspect Kim enjoys her free time away from Jada.... not because she doesn't love her or anything like that.... but children frankly are quite clingy, needy and talk TOO MUCH! However, like I said that could just be me? :o :o :o :help:

dsanders06
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Glad to see Kim denying it - she's usually very honest and forthright, so I doubt she'd deny it so explicitly if she genuinely was seriously considering quitting.

The key for her has to be getting back into a semi-regular schedule, so that she gets some match fitness back ... it's just never going to work playing one tournament every two months, because playing so infrequently is always going to be such a shock to the system that she's going to pick up niggling injuries. I don't really expect much from her on clay, but hopefully she'll still play a few tournaments on it just to get some rhythm going. Then I can see her doing some damage at Wimbledon & The Olympics, and she has to be considered the presumptive favourite for the US Open at this stage.