PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to Frank Ocean?

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:12 AM
OK, so maybe Im late to the party, but how many people here listen to Frank Ocean? Specifically his mix tape Nostalgia-Ultra. Just got turned onto it about a week ago, gotta say I haven't listened to pretty much anything BUT this record. Guy is so gifted, love every song on this. If I had to pick favourites, they'd probably be Novocane, Songs For Women, There Will be Tears and American Wedding. :bowdown:

Now you can all tell me how lame I am for just finding out about him now. :p

ampers&
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:35 AM
+

"We All Try"

He's of my absolute favorites.

Super Dave
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Is he related to Billy?

Stamp Paid
Mar 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Is he related to Billy?No. :lol:

I love Frank. I dont know why he's in Odd Future. :o
TWXC6Tz49OE
95R8J2BNeGo
dM6woaxQDRs

I also love his song Anywhere, but I can't find the youtube video.
Can't wait for his album. :hearts:

plantman
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:07 AM
OK, so maybe Im late to the party, but how many people here listen to Frank Ocean? Specifically his mix tape Nostalgia-Ultra. Just got turned onto it about a week ago, gotta say I haven't listened to pretty much anything BUT this record. Guy is so gifted, love every song on this. If I had to pick favourites, they'd probably be Novocane, Songs For Women, There Will be Tears and American Wedding. :bowdown:

Gifted? I'm not sure Don Henley would agree!:lol:

The Witch-king
Mar 26th, 2012, 07:36 AM

Who cares when you discovered him :confused:

I like Swim Good and Dust. The rest is kind of blah to me. His voice is grating for me.

Also, if you really like him download the 50+ tracks he released as part of the Lonny Breaux Collection. I'm not sure if its still available on hotnewhiphop.com for free.

Ryan
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Don Henley should get over it, American Wedding is dope.

Thanks for the vids posted, and the recommended songs from Lonny Breaux. He's got a new song, Whip Control, out - pretty sweet.

doni1212
Mar 26th, 2012, 08:12 PM
A Frank Ocean thread! Yay!
I'm glad you created a thread for him Ryan. His voice is so unique and his songs are incredible, :worship:

And I'll never get sick of "Swim Good". I love that song!

UcLsd8RCVq4

Ellen Dawson
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:12 PM

You're mad late. :facepalm:

:p

But...if you're not an avid R&B/Hip Hop/Neo Soul listener then I think it's awesome that FO is on your radar. Usually non-fans of "black music" never make it to FO. They get to about Beyonce and and never dare to dig deeper.

iPatty
Mar 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Lovecrimes and Songs for Women :worship:

LBV, there are a few :scratch: members of Odd Future actually and Frank is definitely one of them. But I love songs like Analog 2 where he is collaborating with Tyler and other members of OF.

Stamp Paid
Mar 27th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Lovecrimes and Songs for Women :worship:

LBV, there are a few :scratch: members of Odd Future actually and Frank is definitely one of them. But I love songs like Analog 2 where he is collaborating with Tyler and other members of OF.You must have read my post wrong. I know that Frank is in OF, I was just questioning why he's a part of the collective. His music is so different from the rest of them.

Bayo
Mar 27th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I had "Nature Feels" on repeat for a few weeks last year.

The aforementioned Lonny Breaux Collection is still available on datpiff, last I checked.

Ryan
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:38 AM
You're mad late. :facepalm:

:p

But...if you're not an avid R&B/Hip Hop/Neo Soul listener then I think it's awesome that FO is on your radar. Usually non-fans of "black music" never make it to FO. They get to about Beyonce and and never dare to dig deeper.

Beyonce :tape: I listen to a lot more rap than Soul/RnB I guess - Drake, JayZ, Lil Wayne, Kanye etc. First I heard of Ocean was Otis, and didn't bother to look him up until a friend BUGGED me to listen to Novocane.

Doni - Swim Good is sick. Listened to it like 5 times in a row at work tonight. :lol:

When his album supposed to drop? Soon?

Ryan
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Oh, and can't forget Kid Cudi. Love everything he's done.

doni1212
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Beyonce :tape: I listen to a lot more rap than Soul/RnB I guess - Drake, JayZ, Lil Wayne, Kanye etc. First I heard of Ocean was Otis, and didn't bother to look him up until a friend BUGGED me to listen to Novocane.

Doni - Swim Good is sick. Listened to it like 5 times in a row at work tonight. :lol:

When his album supposed to drop? Soon?

What did he have to do with Otis? Do you mean on No Church in the Wild? And have you heard Made in America?

Yeah, I've been listening to him since I saw this thread. He is so soothing to me even though he talks about some deep, dark shit at times, :lol:

Oh, and can't forget Kid Cudi. Love everything he's done.

Kid Cudi is great as well. I need to listen to him more because I'm only familiar with his features and singles.

Ryan
Mar 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
What did he have to do with Otis? Do you mean on No Church in the Wild? And have you heard Made in America?

Yeah, I've been listening to him since I saw this thread. He is so soothing to me even though he talks about some deep, dark shit at times, :lol:

Kid Cudi is great as well. I need to listen to him more because I'm only familiar with his features and singles.

Sorry, I get Otis/Made In America confused in my head a lot. :weirdo:

Cudi has some great non-singles from the first two Man on the Moon cd's. His new "album" with WZRD is meh, though.

iPatty
Mar 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM
You must have read my post wrong. I know that Frank is in OF, I was just questioning why he's a part of the collective. His music is so different from the rest of them.

No I got you, I was saying that I agree that some of the people in OF make me scratch my head because they don't really fit with Tyler, Hodgy, Domo, etc. I definitely worded it weirdly though, my bad.

Cudi's attempt at rock/alternative is pathetic. :lol:

Ryan
Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Watched his Coachella set on YouTube, guy sings just as good live as he does on the record. Snippet of new song called Forrest Gump, too, sounds pretty legit.

iPatty
Jun 8th, 2012, 10:39 PM
New album "Channel Orange" comes out July 17th.

New song "Pyramids": http://soundcloud.com/frank-ocean/pyramids

It's almost 10 minutes long, but I'm liking it on first listen. :lol: Looking forward to this album.

Stamp Paid
Jun 8th, 2012, 10:40 PM
He's on tour too, for those in the US.

Channel Orange Tour Dates

July
13 - Seattle, Wash. @ Showbox at the Market
14 - Vancouver, British Columbia @ Commodore Ballroom
16 - San Francisco, Calif. @ The Regency Ballroom
17 - Los Angeles, Calif. @ The Wiltern
19 - Austin, Texas @ La Zona Rosa
20 - Dallas, Texas @ Southside Music Hall
22 - Atlanta, Ga. @ Center Stage Theatre
23 - Washington, D.C. @ 9:30 Club
25 - Philadelphia, Pa. @ Union Transfer
26 - New York, N.Y. @ Terminal 5
28 - Boston, Mass. @ Paradise Rock Club
29 - Montreal, Quebec @ Club Soda
31 - Toronto, Ontario @ The Guvernment

August
1 - Detroit, Mich. @ TBA
4 - Chicago, Ill. @ Lollapalooza

Stamp Paid
Jun 8th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Not sure what to make of Pyramids, sonically or lyrically. :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jun 8th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Does he sample the horns from the end of Bjork/Antony Hegarty's "Dull Flame of Desire" at the end of Pyramids?

Mary Cherry.
Jun 8th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Haven't heard much from him but I love his voice. So smooth.

Cam.
Jun 8th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I don't know if I've heard any of his songs

Haven't heard much from him but I love his voice. So smooth.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg594/scaled.php?server=594&filename=mcbigsmile.gif&res=landing

Pump-it-UP
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Oooh, this bish is coming to Boston? Hmm. :lol:

Pyramids is amazing. And the artwork is even better.

BartoliBabes
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM
love me some Frank Ocean

Nature Feels is amazing<3 Brandy's background vocals enhance it so much

Novacane is a tune too

can't wait for his album. fresh!

Number19
Jun 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I liked him on Watch The Throne. But his stuff that I've checked out hasn't really done it for me. But one of my favourite bands The Afghan Whigs covered "Love Crimes" live and I'm lovin' it. At least their version of it.

46:00 in

liM3uCA7l2c

cowsonice
Jun 10th, 2012, 04:20 AM

grPfVlj7Go4

:)
Have you heard this one? It's my favorite; I don't think it was on any of his LP albums.

"Thinking About You" is my favorite from Frank Ocean right now, and of course, his feature in "No Church in the Wild" was fantastic, too.

doni1212
Jun 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
love me some Frank Ocean

Nature Feels is amazing<3 Brandy's background vocals enhance it so much

Novacane is a tune too

can't wait for his album. fresh!

Wow, I didn't even know that Brandy's vocals are on that song. That's another great song by Ocean btw.

grPfVlj7Go4

:)
Have you heard this one? It's my favorite; I don't think it was on any of his LP albums.

"Thinking About You" is my favorite from Frank Ocean right now, and of course, his feature in "No Church in the Wild" was fantastic, too.

No, but I just listened to it and I loved it! I also love how the beat to "Day 'N' Nite" comes in at the end.

doni1212
Jun 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I'm so happy he finally got a release date! I can't wait to buy "Channel Orange"!! :bounce:

Stamp Paid
Jun 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Lyrics to Pyramids
http://rapgenius.com/Frank-ocean-pyramids-lyrics

[Intro]
Set the cheetahs on the loose
There's a thief out on the move
Underneath our legion's view
They have taken Cleopatra

Run run run, come back for my glory
Bring her back to me
Run run run, the crown of our pharaoh
The throne of our queen is empty

We'll run to the future
Shining like diamonds in a rocky world
A rocky, rocky world
Our skin like bronze and our hair like Cashmere
As we march to rhythm
On the palace floor
Chandeliers inside the pyramid
Tremble from the force
Cymbals crash inside the pyramid
Voices fill up the halls

[Repeat Intro]

The jewel of Africa
What good is a jewel that ain't still precious?
How could you run off on me?
How could you run off on us?
You feel like God inside that gold
I found you laying down with Samson
And his full head of hair
Found my Black queen Cleopatra
Bad dreams, Cleopatra

Remove her
Send the cheetahs to the tomb
Our war is over, our queen has met her doom
No more she lives no more serpent in her room
No more it has killed Cleopatra

Big sun coming strong through the motel blinds
Wake up to your girl for now, let's call her Cleopatra
I watch you fix your hair
Then put your panties on in the mirror, Cleopatra
Then your lipstick, Cleopatra
Then your six-inch heels
Catch her
She's headed to the pyramid

[Hook]
She's working at the pyramid tonight
Working at the pyramid
Working at the pyramid tonight
Working at the pyramid
Working at the pyramid
Working at the pyramid

Pimping in my convos
Bubbles in my champagne
Let it be some jazz playing
Top floor motel suite twisting my cigars
Floor model tv with the vcr got
Rubies in my damn chain
Whip ain't got no gas tank
But it still got woodgrain
Got your girl working for me
Hit the strip & my bills paid
That keep my bills paid
Hit the strip & my bills paid
Keep a nigga bills paid
She's working at the pyramid tonight

[Hook]

You showed up after work I'm bathing your body
Touch you in places only I know
You're wet & you're warm just like our bathwater
Can we make love before you go
The way you say my name makes me feel like
I'm that nigga
But I'm still unemployed
You say it's big but you take it
Ride cowgirl
But your love ain't free no more

[Hook]

(John Mayer guitar solo)

Ryan
Jun 10th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Sick, new stuff and tour dates. Going to see Childish Gambino in Montreal on August 1, so might take a few more days off work and go see Ocean on the 29th.

Stamp Paid
Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Complex Magazine Review of Channel Orange:

"Thinking About You"
This joint's been floating around the Internet for months. First it was an Ocean-penned track for Roc Nation singer Bridget Kelly, which she did justice to. Then Frank posted his own version of the song on his Tumblr page. No contest—this cut about not being able to keep that special someone off your mind sounds better in his falsetto.

"Sierra Leone"
This spacy cut, named for the diamond-rich but war-torn African nation, is highlighted by its wild use of organs and tremendous melodies.

"Sweet Life"
On this jazzy song Frank sings about enjoying what's in front of you, as opposed to thinking about what's beyond. “Why see the world when you've got the beach,” he asks, then adds “MY TV ain't HD. That's too real.”

"Too Many"
This song might also be titled “Real Love” or “Super Rich,” but whatever you call it, it knocks. Over piano jabs that recall Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets," Frank speaks on affluent kids living the high life without their parents' love. “Too many joyrides in Daddy's Jaguar,” he sings on the hook. “Too many white lies and white lines." Odd Future teammate Earl Sweatshirt features on this cut, which sounds like a hit.

"Pilot Jones"
Here's an eerie song where Frank sings to a woman, most likely a pilot, who's not flying right. “Why am I trying to keep a grown woman sober,” he asks, then admits “I've always had a pilot jones.”

"Pyramids"
This 10-minute offering is Frank's first Channel Orange single. It's an epic song, starting out as the tale of a queen being stolen from her land and then transforming into a cut that's fit for a raunchy gentlemen's club. By the way, that's John Mayer on the guitar at the end.

"Crack Rock"
This song would have been perfectly suited for any scene in Jungle Fever featuring Samuel L. Jackson's crackhead character Gator. Over hard drums and organs, Frank sings about “smoking stones in abandoned homes” and fiends “shucking and jiving” for drugs.

"Lost"
This one's all about a girl who lost her way after traveling to a place where she thought her dream would come true. Apparently Frank isn't exactly helping her find her way. “I can't believe I got her out here cooking dope,” he sings.

"Run"
On this funky cut Frank sings about an Indian woman who's following the Dalai Lama. Frank's with her in the wild and things get real in the field. “Tigers woke us from our slumber,” he sings. Hello kitty!

"Taxi Driver"
This piano and string-driven song find Ocean unloading his troubles from the backseat of a cab. “Taxi driver, you're my shrink for the hour,” he starts. As the meter runs, his issues spill out. “I've got three lives balanced on my head like steak knives,” Ocean spits. Sounds painful.

"Pleasure"
Ocean sounds pensive here, singing, “What if the sky and stars are for show?” Andre 3000 features on this track. “She had a body that would intimidate anyone that wasn't Southern,” he says of a particularly stacked lady in his Georgia drawl. “Not me, cousin.”

"Forrest Gump"
The last cut on the album is just a few guitar licks shy of a country song. Ocean sings about a woman who's been running through his mind. The outro that really wraps the albums is where we hear Frank leaving his car and splashing through the rain to his home. Once he unlocks the door to the crib and closes it behind him, Channel Orange is blacked out.[/CENTER]

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/06...album/#gallery

Tentative Tracklist:

1. Thinkin Bout You
2. Sierra Leone
3. Sweet Life
4. Super Rich Kids (Feat. Earl Sweatshirt)
5. Pilot Jones
6. Pyramids
7. Crack Rock
8. Lost
9. Run
10. Taxi Driver
11. Pleasure (Feat. Andre 3000)
12. Forrest Gump
13. Voodoo Outro

PRE-ORDER ON AMAZON (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CJ0KI8?ie=UTF8&tag=danecu-20&linkCode=shr&camp=213733&creative=393177&creativeASIN=B008CJ0KI8&keywords=channel%20orange%20frank%20ocean&qid=1340380971&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1)

iPatty
Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:45 AM
Thinkin Bout You is gonna be on Channel Orange? Didn't know that.

Earl making an appearance. :worship:

Ryan
Jun 23rd, 2012, 01:16 AM
Me and a bunch of buddies bought tickets to see him in Montreal end of July - so stoked. Seeing him on Sunday night, Childish Gambino on the Wednesday. :rocker:

doni1212
Jun 23rd, 2012, 01:29 AM
I was thinking about going to Philly to see him but I haven't decided yet. And thanks for that review LBV! I keep getting more and more excited!!! :bounce:

Stamp Paid
Jun 23rd, 2012, 01:33 AM
Frank released the official track listing on tumblr
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m61qlxOiGC1qdrz3yo1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m61qo0axPY1qdrz3yo1_500.jpg

Ryan
Jun 23rd, 2012, 01:35 AM
Just saw it. Hope they're all legit tracks, and not interludes/cassette shit between songs. Doni - definitely go see him in Philly!

iPatty
Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:23 AM
Just saw it. Hope they're all legit tracks, and not interludes/cassette shit between songs. Doni - definitely go see him in Philly!

That adds to the experience. :lol:

doni1212
Jun 25th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Oh Ry, I'm so stupid. I should've made up my mind from the jump! Now the show is sold out. I would love for him to add more tour dates like they did for the WTT concert. Maybe...

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Been playing Pyramids nonstop. The lyrics have been repeating in my head and I'm trying to figure out what the song is about. Its very metaphorical and crosses time and space. I have my own theories.
What do you all think the song is about?

doni1212
Jun 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Been playing Pyramids nonstop. The lyrics have been repeating in my head and I'm trying to figure out what the song is about. Its very metaphorical and crosses time and space. I have my own theories.
What do you all think the song is about?

It's hard to say. I think the first half of the song is more metaphorical than the second. I think the second half is more straight forward about him being with a stripper or prostitute with the exception of the part where he says, "Wake up to your girl for now, let's call her Cleopatra". That line throws me off completely because I guess he's trying to connect this current day "Cleopatra" to the one he was talking about in the first part of the song. If so, then the second part takes on a whole new meaning.

In regards to the first part, I have a couple of theories too.

1. Cleopatra symbolizes all black women. They aren't what they used to and should be. They have been ruined and corrupted by society and by different "Samsons" (interpreted as a white man). They're no longer valued as precious jewels. They've been stolen. The "serpent" (maybe another nod to white men) has killed them (their spirits, self-esteem, self-worth, etc.). He wants to take her to the future (what can also be called the past IMO) and show her how things used to be. How they were royalty, valued and can be once again.

In this theory, I hear a lot of racial undertones. The fact that he said he found Cleopatra with Samson and mentioned his hair might mean that the black woman is with him because he's considered powerful. He emphasizes black queen Cleopatra, skin like bronze, hair like cashmere, rhythm :lol:, jewel of Africa, how black people used to rule the pyramids and were magnificent. Also, the fact that he says "THEY" have taken Cleopatra signifies someone outside of our race to me.

This might be too radical of a theory for some but it's the one I most believe in when it comes to interpreting this song.

2. Cleopatra symbolizes ONE woman who cheated on him. He walked in on her cheating with "Samson" (interpreting him as a white man). He could even be talking about his Mom but that's a stretch. I just don't really believe this one because he uses pronouns like "our" and "us" too much which tells me that it's not just about him.

So thinking about the second part again, he could be talking about how "Cleopatra" (the black woman) has evolved from ancient Egypt until now. Where she was once a Queen, she's now a stripper and/or prostitute. Sad really, :sad:

*I believe Frank Ocean interpreted Samson as a white man in this song even though he may actually have been of Arab or African descent.*

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Yes Doni, I was thinking something similar to your #1! Ill post it in a sec. LOL

doni1212
Jun 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Ok cool! Glad to see I'm not crazy, :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I think its a historical story, told through the lens of a man and a woman through space and time.

Set the cheetahs on the loose
There's a thief out on the move
Underneath our legion's view
They have taken Cleopatra, Cleopatra

Run run run come back for my glory
Bring her back to me
Run run run the crown of our pharaoh
The throne of our queen is empty

I think Cleopatra ultimately represents Black women, in Africa and in the Americas. The story seems like its told from mulitiple perspectives. The first perspective is from these lyrics and is about a black queen who has been kidnapped from her pharoah. I think that Pyramids/cheetahs/Pharoah symbolism is used to represent Africa in general, not necessarily just Egypt. A legion is like an army battalion, so Cleopatra was kidnapped by a thief. It made me think of how during the slave trade, people were kidnapped by slave catchers and sold to European slave traders on the coast, some of them royalty in their respective cultures, never to be seen again.

And we'll run to the future
Shining like diamonds in a rocky world
A rocky, rocky world
Our skin like bronze and our hair like cashmere
As we march to the rhythm
On the palace floor
Chandeliers inside the pyramid
Tremble from the force
Cymbals crash inside the pyramid
Voices fill up the halls

I think this is where Frank is the pharaoh, is thinking about a future world in which he would be United with his queen again, back in Africa, where they can reclaim their former glory and party in the pyramids. The "chandeliers in the pyramids" is a mix up of modern and ancient, in a way that maybe blacks (?) will return back to Africa and re-create their former glory and royalty in Africa.

The jewel of Africa
What good is a jewel that ain't still precious
How could you run off on me?
How could you run off on us?
You feel like God inside that gold
I found you laying down with Samson
And his full head of hair
Found my black queen Cleopatra
Bad dreams Cleopatra

Obviously, the black woman is the jewel of Africa, and I think at this point Frank is talking from the perspective of the pharaoh again and maybe the people of his kingdom. When Cleopatra never came back, their grief turned into bitterness and they started to blame Cleopatra for being taken. They think she is somewhere enjoying the splendor and riches of life outside of Africa. The found her laying down with Samson, I see as the black women becoming the concubines of white men during slavery. Many women were forced into this concubinage, but some women tried to gain leverage for themselves and their children by laying down with white men in sexual/domestic capacities. But again, the people are bitter and say shes no longer a precious jewel. I think the pharaoh might also have had a dream about Cleopatra enjoying riches and sleeping with Samsom/white men, and that made added to his bitterness behind her leaving. (Found my black queen Cleopatra/Bad dreams, Cleopatra)

Remove her
Send the cheetahs to the tomb
Our war is over, our queen has met her doom
No more she lives, no more serpent in her room
No more, it has killed Cleopatra, Cleopatra

This is just more allegory about the way the actual Cleopatra died, symbolizing the death of the sacredness of black women that happened because of slavery, etc.
========================================
Part 1

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Ok cool! Glad to see I'm not crazy, :lol:
I thought I was crazy too at first, because thats what I was getting as I was listening to it! :lol: Glad Im not the only one :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Big sun coming strong through the motel blinds
Wake up to your girl for now let's call her Cleopatra, Cleopatra
I watch you fix your hair
Then put your panties on in the mirror, Cleopatra
Then your lipstick, Cleopatra
Then your six inch heels
Catch her
She's headed to the pyramid

Now we're in modern times, and this is the story of a modern day Black American woman getting ready to go to work at "the Pyramid". I don't know if the pyramid is a bar, or a strip club, or even her prostitute stroll. But shes going to work to do something defiling, symbolziing how the sacredness of black women has been brought down so much in modern times.

Pimping in my convos
Bubbles in my champagne
Let it be some jazz playing
Top floor motel suite, twisting my cigars
Floor model TV with the VCR
Got rubies in my damn chain
Whip ain't got no gas tank
But it still got woodgrain
Got your girl working for me
Hit the strip and my bills paid
That keep my bills paid
Hit the strip and my bills paid
Keep a nigga bills paid

I think this is allegorical on multiple levels, I think the actual pimp is symbolic of either Samson/white men or possibly another black man, who is now a pimp and degrades Cleopatra now as his hoe. He is taunting Frank (the present day) about how his girl is a prostitute on the strip and "keeps a nigga bills paid". This can also have a deeper, societal meaning possibly!

You showed up after work I'm bathing your body
Touch you in places only I know
You're wet and you're warm just like our bathwater
Can we make love before you go
The way you say my name makes me feel like
I'm that nigga
But I'm still unemployed
You say it's big but you take it
Ride cowgirl
But your love ain't free no more, baby

I think that this part of the story is about either present day Frank/black men who has been reduced to a modern john paying Cleopatra who used to be his sacred queen, for some sex. "The way you say my name makes me feel like I'm that nigga" "You say its big but you take it" is obviously about the sex act and the mind games between prostitutes and their johns. I also think that this john could be representative of Samson/white men, who are now paying to fuck Cleopatra as shes being pimped out by her own black men. (Which obviously has wider societal implications in terms of how black men degrade and objectify black women in hip hop, how blacks have lost so much of their former glory and dignity as a result of slavery, modernity, etc.)

Its a deep ass song, whatever it means. And I really don't want him to explain it, I hate when artists do that. :lol: Just let us interpret it. :hearts:

doni1212
Jun 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Wow, great interpretation! We're on the same page here. I'm glad you went in depth concerning slavery in part I because I also wondered if that's what the was referring too as well. If Pyramids is this powerful and deep, imagine the rest of the album! :drool:

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Wow, great interpretation! We're on the same page here. I'm glad you went in depth concerning slavery in part I because I also wondered if that's what the was referring too as well. If Pyramids is this powerful and deep, imagine the rest of the album! :drool:I hope so, man if all of his songs are this DEEP! :eek: Absolute classic.

Its crazy I listened to Pyramids like 50 times before I actually started to make sense of what it could mean. :lol: Did you know at first listen what it was about?

Pump-it-UP
Jun 27th, 2012, 09:50 PM
That AP Lit analysis..... :unsure::lol: And no, that isn't shade :smooch:

Remind me to relisten later when I'm in the proper state of mind.

Stamp Paid
Jun 27th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Pump gerl I'm sorry. It just had been on my mind for a minute. Me and a friend on FB were analyzing it verse by verse on FB :crying2:

Stamp Paid
Jun 28th, 2012, 04:34 AM
!!!!
Cheetahs = wordplay on "cheaters"

doni1212
Jun 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I hope so, man if all of his songs are this DEEP! :eek: Absolute classic.

Its crazy I listened to Pyramids like 50 times before I actually started to make sense of what it could mean. :lol: Did you know at first listen what it was about?

No I was the exact same way. Remember back when you posted it in SS? I was clueless about its true meaning! :lol:

!!!!
Cheetahs = wordplay on "cheaters"

Oooo! I like that! We're going to have to analyze some of the other songs too when the album comes out! I love this! It's like when I had to analyze poetry in my Spanish lit classes in undergrad, :lol:

Shuji Shuriken
Jun 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Love Frank and i'm excited that he worked with Brandy on her album. I mean...they have been working together forever, and Surprise Ending is one of my all time favourite songs, so I know they'll come up with magic.

When I first heard Nostalgia Ultra A LONG time I immediately fell in love with We All Try, Novacane, Dust, American Wedding, Dust, and of course Nature Feels. Brandy's vocals are so damn haunting. Love it. Love Frank...

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 28th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Saw him around the corner from my house in Hollywood on Sunday...

Stamp Paid
Jul 4th, 2012, 06:10 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6me6uSdO81qdrz3yo1_500.png

Optima
Jul 4th, 2012, 06:36 AM
:rocker2: Congrats, dude.

Can't wait to hear the album.

doni1212
Jul 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Less than 2 weeks!! I want to buy the album on iTunes so I can get it right at midnight but I think I'm going to go buy a physical copy bright and early on Tuesday morning!

Ryan
Jul 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Congrats to Frank on sharing that story, takes guts, especially in the hip hop world. Still love his music, changes nothing for me. Stoked to see him live in Montreal, can't wait for the album to drop.

Stamp Paid
Jul 6th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I just bought tickets for the ATL date, even though they were way overpriced because Ticketmaster is sold out, plus I can't really afford them.
But I have to see my Franky, now more than ever. :sobbing:

doni1212
Jul 6th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I'm so jealous! Enjoy! You'll have so much fun! I wish he would add more tour dates but he's going on tour in Europe with Coldplay in August so that won't happen this summer, :sad:

Stamp Paid
Jul 6th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Anybody listened to Novacane again, with what we now know? :sobbing:

Novichok
Jul 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Yes. :sobbing:

iPatty
Jul 7th, 2012, 02:30 AM
"Sweet Life" released today.

zCIo0EMt8G0

doni1212
Jul 7th, 2012, 03:12 AM

Yuppers! :lol:

doni1212
Jul 7th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Has anyone listened to the song Patty posted? Impressions? I'm not listening to any more songs off the album until it's in my hands!
I have been hearing the jokes about the song title though, :o

Ryan
Jul 7th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I don't get Novocane being different, but I didn't read over the lyrics. I really like Sweet Life - it reminds me of John Legend, maybe a little jazzier? Pretty lax track.

Stamp Paid
Jul 7th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I don't get Novocane being different, but I didn't read over the lyrics. I really like Sweet Life - it reminds me of John Legend, maybe a little jazzier? Pretty lax track.To me, its about Frank dating girls and feeling nothing, being totally numb even while they were having sex (needing to pop viagra to even do it), auto-tuning his words to make it sound like he was interested in them, etc. It was already a cool song, but wow.

moby
Jul 7th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I'm going to Lolla, but unfortunately he performs at the same time as Santigold. Hmm.

Stamp Paid
Jul 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM
A few more from Channel Orange:
VayKro7Nvcs
bVAhnlnYqiM

Stamp Paid
Jul 7th, 2012, 07:32 PM
"Sweet Life" released today.

zCIo0EMt8G0

Has anyone listened to the song Patty posted? Impressions? I'm not listening to any more songs off the album until it's in my hands!
I have been hearing the jokes about the song title though, :oI like it. It reminds me a bit of D'Angelo. I think he's performing this on Fallon next week.

doni1212
Jul 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I like it. It reminds me a bit of D'Angelo. I think he's performing this on Fallon next week.

Oh yeah! I set a reminder in my phone for Monday night, :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 7th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I think Pink Matter = pussy. :lol:

doni1212
Jul 7th, 2012, 11:37 PM
^^^^
Uh oh, :lol:

And I love that Beyonce posted this. Not only do I agree with it but it should also help Frank sale more copies of his album too, :lol:

http://www.beyonce.com/files/images/frank_main.jpg

NeeemZ
Jul 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm going to Lolla, but unfortunately he performs at the same time as Santigold. Hmm.

Go see Santigold if you have never seen her. She puts on a hell of a festival performance. Definitely one of the best festival acts I've seen recently.

Ryan
Jul 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Only Beyonce would write a note with her name in it so much (BE...) :lol:

Not Ocean, but anyone listen to Childish Gambino? Downloaded Royalty couple days ago, its awesome. Cant wait to see him live.

ampers&
Jul 8th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Only Beyonce would write a note with her name in it so much (BE...) :lol:

Not Ocean, but anyone listen to Childish Gambino? Downloaded Royalty couple days ago, its awesome. Cant wait to see him live.
You're really into hipster rap, aren't you? :lol:

Ryan
Jul 8th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Im equal opportunity, love Kanye, Jay-Z...but I also like A$AP Rocky and other "hipster" rappers. :cool:

Ciarán
Jul 8th, 2012, 05:50 PM
'Novacane' and 'Pyramid' are sensational. Yet to be sold on much of the rest of 'Nostalgia, Ultra.' though. High expectations for 'Channel Orange'. I hope he delivers, with as little samples as possible.

Ryan
Jul 8th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Whaaat? Swim Good, Songs for Women, American Wedding, Nature Feels and There Will Be Tears are all awesome.

Ciarán
Jul 8th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Whaaat? Swim Good, Songs for Women, American Wedding, Nature Feels and There Will Be Tears are all awesome.

'Swim Good' thus far has me cringing; granted I've only listened 2-3 times. I feel like I've heard it before, but I can't quite say where. It puts me in mind of something. I can't listen to 'American Wedding' on it's own accord, because of how closely it sticks to the Eagles 'Hotel California' original. Likewise with 'Nature Feels'. I know 'Electric Feel' like the back of my hand and I cannot appreciate 'Nature Feels' as a song on it's own accord. I found it very strange he picked such very famous tracks as samples. I believe he has shot himself in the foot in doing so. The auto-tune on 'There Will Be Tears' goes straight through me too. I think the sound he has with this song has been exhausted. The voice sounds very much like Calvin Harris, which again, given the familiarity irks me :lol:. 'Songs For Women' is OK. I do believe there is something in this kid though, so I'm still excited for the album. Can't help but feel that he is going to be a new hipster icon :lol:.

iPatty
Jul 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
You're really into hipster rap, aren't you? :lol:

Took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:

Ryan
Jul 8th, 2012, 09:46 PM
So much hate. :sobbing: I hate hipsters, if that makes a difference?

Stamp Paid
Jul 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM
So much hate. :sobbing: I hate hipsters, if that makes a difference?Nothing wrong with hipster rap :lol: pretty much all of us have hipster tendencies. A hipster turned me onto Frank Ocean last year :lol:

iPatty
Jul 8th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Not hating at all, I just also noticed that you really seem to be getting into this kind of hip hop. :lol: I like Donald too, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan.

ampers&
Jul 8th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I love Donald (I Am Just A Rapper 1 & 2 are amaze and Culdesac isn't bad either...haven't heard his new stuff yet) and have been called a "Black hipster" a LOT. Whatever that means (I don't agree). :lol: Anyway, like iPatty said, just an observation. ;)

Ryan
Jul 8th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Miching, listen to his album/mixtape Camp, Heartbeat and Sunrise are two of my favourite songs right now. Royalty's got a lot of great tracks too, even Tina Fey rapping a verse on one. :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/n8Ksk.png
Frank Ocean performing on Jimmy Fallon tonight.
Channel Orange being released on iTunes TONIGHT!

jimmy fallon
‏@jimmyfallon
.@frank_ocean on the show tonight. Tune in for a big announcement about his new album.

Lindsey Weber ‏@lindseyweber
Am I allowed to say? Frank Ocean's album is out TONIGHT on iTunes, at 12:30 AM when Fallon airs. Smart move.

Kristine Abrenica ‏@KBAbrenica
Just saw @frank_ocean perform 'Bad Religion' with @mrvndctr. Too dope.

KELLY ‏@kellyclancy (His manager)
i wouldn't miss frank ocean on fallon tonight...trust me..

Kristine Abrenica ‏@KBAbrenica
Buy @frank_ocean's new album 'Channel Orange' on iTunes now!!

Alex Peav ‏@peav90x (Def Jam follows them)
Frank Ocean's debut album is being released tonight, midnight on iTunes. You're welcome.

Dave.
Jul 10th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Novacane is the best song I've heard in ages. Just wow. I can't stop listening to it.

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 02:43 AM
OMG!! I'm buying the album as soon as Jimmy Fallon goes off and I'm listening to the whole thing TONIGHT! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:04 AM
OMG!! I'm buying the album as soon as Jimmy Fallon goes off and I'm listening to the whole thing TONIGHT! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Me too :sobbing:

iPatty
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I have work early tomorrow...do I stay up or not? :o

iPatty
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Oh wait it's already out. Just search for Channel Orange and it comes up. Downloading and listening to the first few songs tonight.

new-york
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Sierra Leone. :inlove:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Oh wait it's already out. Just search for Channel Orange and it comes up. Downloading and listening to the first few songs tonight.
On iTunes, or just a general link? I want to make sure I buy it.

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:38 AM
It's on iTunes!

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Ok, do we listen now or after Jimmy Fallon?

EDIT: I think I'm going to listen after Jimmy Fallon so that whatever he performs will be the first time I hear it!

iPatty
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:41 AM
On iTunes, or just a general link? I want to make sure I buy it.

I meant on iTunes. ;) Definitely supporting the artist here.

Listened up to and through #9 Crack Rock. Pyramids is next so I figure I'm about halfway through the album. :lol: I'll listen to the rest tomorrow morning.

I love it and I feel like each song will get better and better with each listen so the fact that my first impression is good is very encouraging. Early favorites are Super Rich Kids (maybe a little bias because of Earl) and Crack Rock.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Ok, do we listen now or after Jimmy Fallon?

EDIT: I think I'm going to listen after Jimmy Fallon so that whatever he performs will be the first time I hear it!Im gonna wait for you, we gonna listen after Jimmy? :lol:

I meant on iTunes. ;) Definitely supporting the artist here.

Listened up to and through #9 Crack Rock. Pyramids is next so I figure I'm about halfway through the album. :lol: I'll listen to the rest tomorrow morning.

I love it and I feel like each song will get better and better with each listen so the fact that my first impression is good is very encouraging. Early favorites are Super Rich Kids (maybe a little bias because of Earl) and Crack Rock.Ahhh! Ok bb, say no more please. :lol::lol: Thanks :cool:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Im gonna wait for you, we gonna listen after Jimmy? :lol:

Ahhh! Ok bb, say no more please. :lol::lol: Thanks :cool:

Yeah, after Jimmy! Did you buy it already?

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Yeah, after Jimmy! Did you buy it already?
Yes, I just finished downloading it at Starbucks. Im headed home now. :lol: So much travail for 1 damn album. :lol:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Yes, I just finished downloading it at Starbucks. Im headed home now. :lol: So much travail for 1 damn album. :lol:

:lol:

Ok, I'm going to pass this first half hour until Jimmy watching L&HH! I'll talk about THAT in SS! :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Forrest Gump, you run my mind boy :hearts:

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I still hate the interlude stuff, can't help it. The album itself is fucking awesome though. Sweet Life, Super Rich Kids, Lost and Bad Religion are my favourites after one listen. Bad Religion is actually phenomenal...only song I noticed referencing a dude, which I thought might be weird, but its such a sick song I didn't even care.

Only ones I don't like (now, I'm sure I will eventually) are Pilot Jones and Sierra Leone. Earl and Andre have great cameos.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Does the album version of Thinking Bout You sound any different than the one that's been out for a while?
I loved how he changed the vocals on the video version.

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Forrest Gump, you run my mind boy :hearts:

Are you listening to it now?

Does the album version of Thinking Bout You sound any different than the one that's been out for a while?

Yeah, I heard he remastered it and like added some strings or something.

I still hate the interlude stuff, can't help it. The album itself is fucking awesome though. Sweet Life, Super Rich Kids, Lost and Bad Religion are my favourites after one listen. Bad Religion is actually phenomenal...only song I noticed referencing a dude, which I thought might be weird, but its such a sick song I didn't even care.

Only ones I don't like (now, I'm sure I will eventually) are Pilot Jones and Sierra Leone. Earl and Andre have great cameos.

Great to hear! I can't wait to start listening!

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:17 AM

Sounds pretty similar, couldn't tell. Its one of the best tracks, either way. There's not as many songs I hear that make me think SINGLE, like on Nostalgia, but Sweet Life, Thinkin About You, Super Rich Kids will be if I had to bet. Not sure what else.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Are you listening to it now?

Yeah, I heard he remastered it and like added some strings or something.

Great to hear! I can't wait to start listening!No, I'm waiting for him to perform on Jimmy :lol:

Sounds pretty similar, couldn't tell. Its one of the best tracks, either way. There's not as many songs I hear that make me think SINGLE, like on Nostalgia, but Sweet Life, Thinkin About You, Super Rich Kids will be if I had to bet. Not sure what else.

Okay, cool. Can't wait to hear it! Ahhhh!

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:24 AM
No, I'm waiting for him to perform on Jimmy :lol:

Okay, cool. Can't wait to hear it! Ahhhh!

I couldn't tell because you started quoting from Forrest Gump already, :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I couldn't tell because you started quoting from Forrest Gump already, :lol:I was listening to the Coachella performances of that and Pink Matter earlier. :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Franky on Fallon! Yes! :hearts:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I could never make him love me :hearts:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:34 AM
He sounds soooo beautiful! :sobbing:

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Shit y'all, surprised he picked Bad Religion. Nailed it though. Album already #1 on iTunes I heard.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Doni I'm starting at 1:40 :lol:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Ok here we go!

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Not the old Playstation intro :lol:
Thinking Bout you is about to make me cry already. :sad:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:43 AM
lmao this is where you heffas went. Ok.

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I'll let you guys catch up/go back myself.

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Not the old Playstation intro :lol:
Thinking Bout you is about to make me cry already. :sad:

Me too! I'm tearing up, :lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:52 AM
What do you guys think about the "Pop" genre it's classified under?

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:56 AM
It's definitely not "pop". :lol: I guess it would be more R&B if anything but I really believe he should be in a class/genre of his own.

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Super Rich Kids :hearts:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:58 AM
What do you guys think about the "Pop" genre it's classified under?

Lol I dunno. I know Nostalgia/ultra was labelled as bluegrass :lol:

His songs are so visual. I am vivdly picturing each scenario as he sings about them.

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Super Rich Kids >>>>

It already appears that his lost beau was a little rich boy.

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Yes! Pilot Jones is even better!

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Trying to figure out Pilot Jones :lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:02 AM
YAS Doni! I was just about to say that! Pilot Jones :inlove:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Tyler's voice in Crack Rock :lol:

Stamp Paid
Pyramids, my shit!

doni1212
Pyramids just came on and it'll never get old! :yeah:

doni1212
:lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I got stuck on Pilot Jones. We are going to have to dissect this one later. :lol:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I got stuck on Pilot Jones. We are going to have to dissect this one later. :lol:

Yup!

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:15 AM
You aint telling me Pyramids aint about black women. That's all I get from the song, its about the fall of black women from exalted positions to their present day circumstances.

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:17 AM
You aint telling me Pyramids aint about black women. That's all I get from the song, its about the fall of black women from exalted positions to their present day circumstances.
Yeah, I do get that! lol. I said something about that in my quick post in SS.

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I like Lost!

I'm with Ryan. Some of these songs are going to have to grow on me after first listen but I have NO DOUBT that they eventually will!

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Ooh White is funky :lol:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo "White" should've been a song!! :sobbing:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I accidentally listened to White the other day. :tape: I didn't know what I was clicking on. :lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:23 AM
It definitely should be a complete song. :o

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I accidentally listened to White the other day. :tape: I didn't know what I was clicking on. :lol:
:crying2:

He reminds me of Prince on Monks. And yes Doni, white shoulda been a sawng!

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Bad Religion is so perfect...

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I'm so ready for Pink Matter!

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Wow, we're definitely going to have to analyze this one later! (Pink Matter)

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:32 AM
OK pink Matter is a bit unlike what I expected. I still think Pink Matter = pussy tho. :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I love Forrest Gump so much. :inlove:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Pink Matter. Oh my God. I'm dead.

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:35 AM
OK pink Matter is a bit unlike what I expected. I still think Pink Matter = pussy tho. :lol:
You don't think it's a fetus/child? :lol:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Damn. Great album! I'm going to have to listen to it over and over again to fully appreciate it but I like what I've heard!
I'm a little sleepy so I'll analyze some songs tomorrow. For now, I'm going to go to bed and listen to this on my phone for a bit while I fall asleep. Talk to you guys tomorrow! :wavey:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM
You don't think it's a fetus/child? :lol:
Hmm let me listen to it again and see.

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I wasn't really paying attention. That thought just popped in my head, so don't hold it against me. :lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Goodnight, Doni!

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Damn. Great album! I'm going to have to listen to it over and over again to fully appreciate it but I like what I've heard!
I'm a little sleepy so I'll analyze some songs tomorrow. For now, I'm going to go to bed and listen to this on my phone for a bit while I fall asleep. Talk to you guys tomorrow! :wavey:
Good night Doni! Imma sit here and listen, it took a while for Pyramids to come to me, I know this will too. The interludes, I'm trying to figure out what they me too.

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I need to get to bed, too. :lol: I have tennis practice at 8.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Good night Danielle!

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:47 AM
-_- goodnight bitch

Chip.
Jul 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM
His album is #1 on British iTunes right now! :hearts:

iPatty
Jul 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Glad you guys agree and love Super Rich Kids. :yeah:

Let me listen to the rest of this album.

iPatty
Jul 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM
The Maajin Bu reference on Pink Matter. :hysteric:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6759/789703-fatbuu_super.jpg

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2012, 02:14 PM
You guys like Pilot Jones?? I'll have to give it another chance. Pink Matter definitely seemed like pussy to me. :drool:

LoveFifteen
Jul 10th, 2012, 02:14 PM
For me, this new album is not like nostalgia ULTRA, which I looooooved during the first listen. I am going to have to listen to a few times to see if channel ORANGE grows on me. For my taste, there is a little too much "talking singing" for me and not enough "melodious singing", as there was on nostalgia ULTRA.

But I am sure it will grow on me.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 02:17 PM
You guys like Pilot Jones?? I'll have to give it another chance. Pink Matter definitely seemed like pussy to me. :drool:Yesss I thought so :lol:

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
For me, this new album is not like nostalgia ULTRA, which I looooooved during the first listen. I am going to have to listen to a few times to see if channel ORANGE grows on me. For my taste, there is a little too much "talking singing" for me and not enough "melodious singing", as there was on nostalgia ULTRA.

I definitely agree; not as much instantly catchy lyrics, fewer big hooks and all that. I miss the 808s too.

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Yesss I thought so :lol:
Yeah, I'm listening again now. Definitely pussy. :lol:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
You guys like Pilot Jones?? I'll have to give it another chance. Pink Matter definitely seemed like pussy to me. :drool:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pilot Jones! :lol:

They are definitely two distinct albums. I was expecting something along the lines of Nostalgia but it's completely different! I love it though! (Kanye voice haha)

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Ok so last night there were only 2 songs that I wasn't feeling and today, I like them both! :lol: (Sierra Leone and Crack Rock)

So of the songs we never heard, my faves right now are Pilot Jones, Bad Religion, Super Rich Kids, Pink Matter, Forrest Gump and Lost.

I love the whole album though! :worship: :bounce:

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM
What is Pilot Jones talkin bout?

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I think that is gonna be my goal for today. Figure that out.

BUT, is that Frank saying "High, high" in the beginning of the song? If so he sounds HELLA gay on that part. Haha. I get a drag queen/transsexual vibe from that song. :lol: Especially when it says "I had a pilot jones (what you know about him), she took me high (oh, did she now), then she took me (he talkin' 'bout)..." It's strange.

I think he is trippin' out on some kind of drug. :lol:

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM

I'm not sure yet, :lol:

I think that is gonna be my goal for today. Figure that out.

BUT, is that Frank saying "High, high" in the beginning of the song? If so he sounds HELLA gay on that part. Haha. I get a drag queen/transsexual vibe from that song. :lol: Especially when it says "I had a pilot jones (what you know about him), she took me high (oh, did she now), then she took me (he talkin' 'bout)..." It's strange.

I think he is trippin' out on some kind of drug. :lol:

Yeah, maybe I'll analyze that one today too then. I'll let you guys know my thoughts later!

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, Pilot Jones sounds like he was fucking with a girl who sold weed and kept him high. :lol:

debopero
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Something about the lyrics for "Rich Kids" annoys me :o. I mean, it's kind of difficult to feel sorry for the wealthy, privileged young people :lol: .

So far, I like "Thinking Bout You," "Sweet Life," and "Pyramids" (the first half at least)
:) .

doni1212
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Something about the lyrics for "Rich Kids" annoys me :o. I mean, it's kind of difficult to feel sorry for the wealthy, privileged young people :lol: .

So far, I like "Thinking Bout You," "Sweet Life," and "Pyramids" (the first half at least)
:) .

That's interesting that you said that about "Pyramids". Most people seem to like the second half more.

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I love the whole song. It's so good. My least favorite on the album is by far Crack Rock (and I don't even dislike it), but my favorites are SRK, Pilot Jones, Pyramids, Bad Religion, and Pink Matter.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Thoughts on Pink Matter:
Pink Matter = pussy, Blue Matter = dick?
"pleasure over matter" - hmm? It doesn't matter what "matter" the source of pleasure is coming from, as long as its pleasure?

the purple matter (pink+blue=purple), where aliens are from gender doesn't matter?

Forrest Gump is probably my favorite song on there though, along with Pyramids. Cant wait to sing them at the show.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9hJua.png
http://i.imgur.com/cAd7L.png
Wow :lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Thoughts on Pink Matter:
Pink Matter = pussy, Blue Matter = dick?
"pleasure over matter" - hmm? It doesn't matter what "matter" the source of pleasure is coming from, as long as its pleasure?

the purple matter (pink+blue=purple), where aliens are from gender doesn't matter?

Forrest Gump is probably my favorite song on there though, along with Pyramids. Cant wait to sing them at the show.
Nice interpretation. Very nice.

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Great review by Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/new-releases/frank-ocean-channel-orange-track-by-track-1007539152.story#/new-releases/frank-ocean-channel-orange-track-by-track-1007539152.story

Forrest Gump is one of my jams now. I just wish it and Bad Religion were longer.

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Great review by Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/new-releases/frank-ocean-channel-orange-track-by-track-1007539152.story#/new-releases/frank-ocean-channel-orange-track-by-track-1007539152.story

Forrest Gump is one of my jams now. I just wish it and Bad Religion were longer.Aww. I thought Forrest Gump was a good way to end the album. :(

Stamp Paid
Jul 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM
The first verse of Pink Matter is about sex with a woman.
The second verse of Pink Matter is about sex with a man.

it went from "My God, shes giving me pleasure"
to "My god giving me pleasure". Then pleasure over matter.

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Complex.com drops the best album and song analyses. Top 10 lyrics from CO: http://www.complex.com/music/2012/07/the-10-best-lyrics-from-frank-oceans-channel-orange/

Also, dumb of me, but I get the album title finally. :lol: He said Orange reminds him of the summer he first fell in love - so he's channeling that colour, that feeling, vibe. Channel Orange, channel love/romance/happiness/innocence, recreate it. Duh. :o

MrProdigy555
Jul 10th, 2012, 11:13 PM
The first verse of Pink Matter is about sex with a woman.
The second verse of Pink Matter is about sex with a man.

it went from "My God, shes giving me pleasure"
to "My god giving me pleasure". Then pleasure over matter.
Oh, from a musicality standpoint (and to play off what you are saying), in the first verse you say he's talking about sex with a woman--well his vocals on that first verse are very delicate and careful. Utilizing his falsetto.

In the second verse, you say he's talking about sex with a man (sensei). Well, musically the second verse is definitely more aggressive and rough, utilizing full voice and belts throughout it.

I thought that was kinda interesting.

ampers&
Jul 10th, 2012, 11:37 PM

Same for me. Not feeling it so far but perhaps I need to listen on my headphones tonight. First listen was while I was driving all day and it was weird. :lol:

doni1212
Jul 11th, 2012, 03:43 AM

Forrest Gump is one of my jams now. I just wish it and Bad Religion were longer.

I wish Pilot Jones was longer. I wanted him to at least sing the chorus one more time, :sad:

Complex.com drops the best album and song analyses. Top 10 lyrics from CO: http://www.complex.com/music/2012/07/the-10-best-lyrics-from-frank-oceans-channel-orange/

Also, dumb of me, but I get the album title finally. :lol: He said Orange reminds him of the summer he first fell in love - so he's channeling that colour, that feeling, vibe. Channel Orange, channel love/romance/happiness/innocence, recreate it. Duh. :o

Oh, from a musicality standpoint (and to play off what you are saying), in the first verse you say he's talking about sex with a woman--well his vocals on that first verse are very delicate and careful. Utilizing his falsetto.

In the second verse, you say he's talking about sex with a man (sensei). Well, musically the second verse is definitely more aggressive and rough, utilizing full voice and belts throughout it.

I thought that was kinda interesting.

Thanks for that Ryan and Danny. Great observations about the album title and the musicality of Pink Matter, :yeah:

doni1212
Jul 11th, 2012, 03:49 AM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

"Now you're lost, lost in the heat of it all, girl you know you're lost, lost in the thrill of it all..."
"I knew what I was on, I had a Pilot Jones, she took me high, then she took me home..."

Dave.
Jul 11th, 2012, 12:59 PM
So I went ahead and bought the album, and love it so far. Best tracks are Bad Religion, Thinkin Bout You, Pink Matter, Sweet Life (:hearts:), Forrest Gump. Also love Sierra Leone. The whole project is excellent though and the interludes just make it more unique.

I haven't got round to Pyramids yet. :lol:

Ryan
Jul 11th, 2012, 01:52 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

"Now you're lost, lost in the heat of it all, girl you know you're lost, lost in the thrill of it all..."
"I knew what I was on, I had a Pilot Jones, she took me high, then she took me home..."

Pretty sure I played Lost 5-6 times in a row last night, my favourite song right now. You see Serena on Trust Us With Your Life, Doni? It was pretty funny.

Stamp Paid
Jul 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Same for me. Not feeling it so far but perhaps I need to listen on my headphones tonight. First listen was while I was driving all day and it was weird. :lol:
Mo how you feel about it now?
I can understand your initial reaction, its not exactly what I thought it would be. But I still love it. :hearts:

ampers&
Jul 12th, 2012, 02:22 AM
J, haven't had the chance to re-listen yet. :lol:

Will on my way to ATL. ;)

doni1212
Jul 12th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Pretty sure I played Lost 5-6 times in a row last night, my favourite song right now. You see Serena on Trust Us With Your Life, Doni? It was pretty funny.

Lost is amazing. And I missed it. Hopefully they put it OnDemand and I'll watch it later. If not, I'll catch it on YouTube!

MrProdigy555
Jul 12th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Monks is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Did anybody figure what the fuck Pilot Jones is about yet? :lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I was just listening to Pyramids again....did any of you think in the first half of the song Cleopatra's pyramids represents her body or "temple," and she sacrifices her body or "temple" (body and actual temple when laying down with Sampson/the war)?

And then in the second part of the song, Pyramid can also= his dick/a dick (as depicted by the single's cover art)? :lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 12th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I think Pilot Jones is about weed and his relationship with a woman who tries to constantly get him high. Pilot Jones=the female who takes him high[er], gets him high[er]. Or it can simply just be a person who gets him high. The drug dealer. In the beginning he was sober "Go 'head, fly that thing. High. High. But fly alone," but by the end of the song he gave in to the drugs "I need ya. Admit it. You're my Pilot Jones". Those are my thoughts of the overall song meaning. lol.

Stamp Paid
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I agree. I think "Pilot Jones" itself is a wordplay on having a Jones for getting high. I don't know if the song is even really about a woman, I think weed is the lady on the song. :lol:

Ryan
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I thought Pilot Jones was about a chick, cuz of the beginning - about them sharing everything, now just the refrigerator. I got the impression his girlfriend/woman got so into dope that they drifted apart, but I take songs pretty literally. :lol:

Pretty much dig all the songs now, even Pilot Jones. Crack Rock is a huge grower, one of my favourites now.

Stamp Paid
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Analysis of Bad Religion

http://rapgenius.com/posts/The-unsung-words-of-frank-ocean-s-bad-religion

MrProdigy555
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Oh? That could be interesting.

What about these lyrics though:

"Tonight she came stumblin' across my lawn again
I just don't know why I keep on tryin' to keep a grown woman sober
See there you go reachin' up your blouse and no I don't want a child
But I ain't been touched in a while by the dealer"?

Ryan
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Oh? That could be interesting.

What about these lyrics though:

"Tonight she came stumblin' across my lawn again
I just don't know why I keep on tryin' to keep a grown woman sober
See there you go reachin' up your blouse and no I don't want a child
But I ain't been touched in a while by the dealer"?

You were replying to me eh? Doesn't that support that he's talking about a woman/real person, though? Someone who's coked out/high, and its like a chore to keep this person sober, instead of being an equal relationship or whatever. He's tired of it, but he still wants her?

MrProdigy555
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM
You were replying to me eh? Doesn't that support that he's talking about a woman/real person, though? Someone who's coked out/high, and its like a chore to keep this person sober, instead of being an equal relationship or whatever. He's tired of it, but he still wants her?
Noo. Ha ha. That was meant for LBV's belief that *Frank isn't talking about a woman/person, but more so that weed is the "person".

Ryan
Jul 12th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Aright cool. :o

doni1212
Jul 13th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to start trying to analyze the album from beginning to end. Hope some of you guys join me! :yeah:

doni1212
Jul 13th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Frank said in several interviews that this album was about writing 14 stories and that they're all in a particular order. I want to try and crack the code that is Channel Orange and figure out what it means to me and perhaps to him too.

Start

Ok, at first I thought this was a fusion of modern vs. old when I heard the iPhone text/voicemail notification sound followed by the start-up to an older edition of PlayStation. I still think it is. He starts out in "modern" times but by playing an old Playstation, he goes back to the old (past times and memories).

After looking at RapGenius, I saw that they thought that he was waking from a dream when he received the text. I like that take because after those initial 7 seconds, there is an abrupt ending to that dreamlike state.

Then he walks over to the TV, turns it on, picks up the controller and gets ready to play a game. It's like he's cuing Channel Orange. It's time for us to turn on the TV (this channel) and take this journey with him. It's his time to "play". And by that I mean, be the genius that he is with these songs and lyrics.

And Channel Orange is what Ryan described earlier about channeling love, the summer he first fell in love, the feelings, etc.

doni1212
Jul 13th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Thinkin Bout You

Obviously, this song is about Frank really loving someone.

In the first verse, he seems to be a mess because of how much he cares for this person. Singing figuratively, the tornado that made a mess of his room is really these new feelings and emotions that he's never felt before. He's not used to feeling this way and crying about it ("It usually doesn't rain in southern California" and "My eyes don't shed tears..."). As we see later, he is unsure and uncertain of this other person's feelings. While he cries from loving this person so much, he also cries becuase of the uncertainty. He doesn't know if this person feels the same. "Do you think about me still, do ya do ya?"

Now the first line of the second verse, "No I don't like you, I just thought you were cool enough to kick it", can mean two different things.
1. He switches it up. He pretends not to care because he doesn't want to get hurt if his feelings aren't returned. It's like he's saying, "I don't really like you like that. I just wanted to hang out" and "I only kissed you because you were cute not because I love you".
OR
2. He's being sarcastic.

It can actually be a mixture of the two. I think he's being sarcastic but I also think he doesn't want to get hurt by letting this person know the truth. He's scared.

What do you guys think "Got a fighter jet, I don't get to fly it though" means? All I could come up with was that he can never hurt him/her like he/she does him by not returning his love and feelings. He could but he's not going to go there.

Why would this person think Frank doesn't love him/her? I would prefer if he had sang instead, "Since you don't know that I love you". Because I think he actually means that this guy/girl doesn't KNOW that Frank loves him/her. Not that they don't THINK that. "Think" in that phrase implies that this guy/girl WANTS Frank to love him/her. "I don't think he loves me/Why doesn't he love me?".

The final verse is my favorite. The part where he says "a new feel" makes me think that he's referring to the guy he loved when he was 19. He'll never forget him and how he made him feel. He'll always have a special place for him in his heart. "We'll go down this road till it turns from color to black and white..." Color = Orange, Present, The Here and Now. Black and White = The Past, Dead and Gone.

:awww:

doni1212
Jul 13th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Fertilizer

This interlude picks up where "Start" left off. I think he's still playing that same game he started in "Start" until he once again, abruptly turns it off.

This song coming after "Thinkin Bout You" is fitting because he's saying that he wants his forever so bad that he'll take just the bullshit if that's all this man has to give. That's how much he loves and wants him in his life.

This short interlude ends with the laugh track and the EBS sound. Like wow, you're pathetic for sinking that low (laugh track at him accepting bullshit) and then with the EBS sound it's like something we would call "DEAD" on this forum. Maybe that's really how he feels about accepting the scraps. Dejected, low, ashamed, embarrassed, etc. The EBS sound is perfect for all of those feelings.

While fertilizer can also be a positive substance because it helps grow plants and such, I don't see any sign of Frank looking at the positive attributes of it in this song. He's just referring to it as manure; i.e. the "bullshit".

MrProdigy555
Jul 13th, 2012, 07:11 AM
YAS Doni! I'm enjoying your analyses!

Stamp Paid
Jul 13th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Tomorrow I'm going to start trying to analyze the album from beginning to end. Hope some of you guys join me! :yeah:Damn I thought you meant tomorrow tomorrow. I was gonna join you :lol:

MrProdigy555
Jul 13th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Tell me why I'm helicopter-ing to Sierra Leone. :drool:

Stamp Paid
Jul 13th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Tell me why I'm helicopter-ing to Sierra Leone. :drool:
:lol::lol:
Tell me why Fertilizer has become one of my favorite tracks on this joint :crying2:

MrProdigy555
Jul 13th, 2012, 07:58 AM
:lol::lol:
Tell me why Fertilizer has become one of my favorite tracks on this joint :crying2:
:hysteric: Which song from the albun is the most played on itunes for you?

Stamp Paid
Jul 13th, 2012, 08:06 AM
:hysteric: Which song from the albun is the most played on itunes for you?Wow, Sierra Leone. Ha. I never would have guessed that. :lol: You?

Stamp Paid
Jul 13th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I wonder how you explain the transition from Fertilizer to Sierra Leone>Sweet Life, then Not Just Money (which reminds me of my mama :hysteric:)>Super Rich kids

MrProdigy555
Jul 13th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Pink Matter :tape: 55 plays.

Ryan
Jul 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Pink Matter :tape: 55 plays.

:speakles: Damn. Pyramids is still my top, I downloaded it before the album dropped. After that its Lost and Crack Rock.

Sick stuff so far doni :rocker:

doni1212
Jul 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Damn I thought you meant tomorrow tomorrow. I was gonna join you :lol:

I did but then I couldn't sleep, :lol:
You can still join in! And everyone else too!

YAS Doni! I'm enjoying your analyses!

:speakles: Damn. Pyramids is still my top, I downloaded it before the album dropped. After that its Lost and Crack Rock.

Sick stuff so far doni :rocker:

Thanks guys!

doni1212
Jul 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM
This is the song that combines with "End" that Frank left off of the digital copy. It'll be on the physical copy when it's released on Tuesday.

II4bIpAutJk

borrowedheaven
Jul 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
This is normally not my genre of music at all, but I decided to give Channel Orange a listen, and I love it so much. I've rarely been more touched by a song than by bad religion.

doni1212
Jul 14th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Sierra Leone

First, I'd just like to say how funny it is that I really didn't like this song when I first heard it and now I love it!
Moving on...

The first verse is all about bliss. Frank spends every moment with this girl and all they do is have sex. It's like they're teenagers again and that's all they can think about doing.

Omg, as I'm sitting her typing and thinking about the song, I JUST got the Trojan horse connection lol! He's so brilliant!
"And I just ran out of Trojans, horses gallop to her throne". So the horses are his sperm galloping to her "throne". Historically, like the Trojan horses entering the city and sexually, no protection (trojan horse brand).

What's his fascination with these places like Denver and Idaho? :lol:
But I think he's singing of Denver to make the contrast between cold and warm climates. But what does Sierra Leone mean? It either means the actual country with warm pink skies at sunset (1) or it's like what you guys think about pink matter (2). He grew up in Sierra Leone = pink skies = uterus. I think he means the second because of the context of the song.

The next part of the song is talking about how his mind is telling him to pull out because he's unprotected but part of his anatomy (haha) is like Hell no, this feels "different" and "too good" because he's not using protection!

Consequently, he makes a baby because he chose not to pull out. The rest of the song is self explanatory except for the last two lines. "Baby girl if you knew what I know, knew what I know". What do you know Frank?

Why does this song come after Thinkin Bout You and Fertilizer? Hmmmm...

MrProdigy555
Jul 14th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Hmmm

Stamp Paid
Jul 14th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Doni that's brilliant, Sierra Leone is about the birth canal. :lol:

Dodoboy.
Jul 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Beautiful collection. I get a few glimpses of Prince (instrumentals) and Stevie Wonder (melodies and arrangement) from this album. Is it just me? Fertilizer felt so much like Wonder!

The way he writes, and his lyrics give him so much room for honesty. It's sort of 'coded', few things are literal and obvious. Makes his album a fantastically rich experience. Even for those who aren't ready to investigate meaning, Frank makes sure that the music alone is fantastic.

Nostalgia Ultra still tips it for me at the moment, but I haven't spent that much time on Channel Orange. This is a far more mature project though.

MrProdigy555
Jul 14th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Beautiful collection. I get a few glimpses of Prince (instrumentals) and Stevie Wonder (melodies and arrangement) from this album. Is it just me? Fertilizer felt so much like Wonder!

The way he writes, and his lyrics give him so much room for honesty. It's sort of 'coded', few things are literal and obvious. Makes his album a fantastically rich experience. Even for those who aren't ready to investigate meaning, Frank makes sure that the music alone is fantastic.

Nostalgia Ultra still tips it for me at the moment, but I haven't spent that much time on Channel Orange. This is a far more mature project though.
On Pyramids I definitely get Stevie vibes from his vocals at times, especially when he sings "Chandeliers inside the pyramid tremble from the force. Cymbals crash inside the pyramid. Voices fill up the halls"

MrProdigy555
Jul 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sierra Leone

First, I'd just like to say how funny it is that I really didn't like this song when I first heard it and now I love it!
Moving on...

The first verse is all about bliss. Frank spends every moment with this girl and all they do is have sex. It's like they're teenagers again and that's all they can think about doing.

Omg, as I'm sitting her typing and thinking about the song, I JUST got the Trojan horse connection lol! He's so brilliant!
"And I just ran out of Trojans, horses gallop to her throne". So the horses are his sperm galloping to her "throne". Historically, like the Trojan horses entering the city and sexually, no protection (trojan horse brand).

What's his fascination with these places like Denver and Idaho? :lol:
But I think he's singing of Denver to make the contrast between cold and warm climates. But what does Sierra Leone mean? It either means the actual country with warm pink skies at sunset (1) or it's like what you guys think about pink matter (2). He grew up in Sierra Leone = pink skies = uterus. I think he means the second because of the context of the song.

The next part of the song is talking about how his mind is telling him to pull out because he's unprotected but part of his anatomy (haha) is like Hell no, this feels "different" and "too good" because he's not using protection!

Consequently, he makes a baby because he chose not to pull out. The rest of the song is self explanatory except for the last two lines. "Baby girl if you knew what I know, knew what I know". What do you know Frank?

Why does this song come after Thinkin Bout You and Fertilizer? Hmmmm...
I think the bliss and acting like teenagers is more than just the sex. It's how they're partaking in the sex and how careless they are while partaking in such activities (unprotected sex) and where they're doing this (in their parents' home), in my opinion. :lol:

The first time I heard it, I thought he was talking about her p*ssy when he said something about her pink skies will keep him warm. Now, I'm starting to think the Sierra Leone is in fact this girl's who-ha or this girl in general.

*I'm starting to think this album is about his journey to find happiness and love. :lol: He tries to find it in money (Super Rich Kids), but that's a fail, because those kids have all the money in the world, but they still aren't happy. His mom told him (not just money) that money is the difference between being happy and sad. Super Rich Kids kind of debunks that theory. He didn't find happiness/love in his first love (at least not returned), so he looked elsewhere. He then turns to drugs to find this happiness and love (Pilot Jones *and possibly crack rock, I haven't really dissected that song*), but that also fails.

This is only a stream of consciousness type of thing from my part. :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 14th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I wish Voodoo "that song playing in the car on End" was a full song. :inlove:

MrProdigy555
Jul 14th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Yes.

doni1212
Jul 15th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Doni that's brilliant, Sierra Leone is about the birth canal. :lol:

For sure!

Yeah, Fertilizer definitely has a Stevie sound and some other songs on the album too. I agree with you that very few things are literal. You definitely have to crack the code!

I think the bliss and acting like teenagers is more than just the sex. It's how they're partaking in the sex and how careless they are while partaking in such activities (unprotected sex) and where they're doing this (in their parents' home), in my opinion. :lol:

The first time I heard it, I thought he was talking about her p*ssy when he said something about her pink skies will keep him warm. Now, I'm starting to think the Sierra Leone is in fact this girl's who-ha or this girl in general.

*I'm starting to think this album is about his journey to find happiness and love. :lol: He tries to find it in money (Super Rich Kids), but that's a fail, because those kids have all the money in the world, but they still aren't happy. His mom told him (not just money) that money is the difference between being happy and sad. Super Rich Kids kind of debunks that theory. He didn't find happiness/love in his first love (at least not returned), so he looked elsewhere. He then turns to drugs to find this happiness and love (Pilot Jones *and possibly crack rock, I haven't really dissected that song*), but that also fails.

This is only a stream of consciousness type of thing from my part. :lol:

Good points. I was trying to figure out what his album was about as I was falling asleep last night and I arrived at a similar conclusion. I haven't analyzed all the songs yet but I was thinking that it's a journey to find love that goes from man to woman and back to man by the end of the album.

doni1212
Jul 15th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Sweet Life

This is one of the few straight forward songs that Dodo was talking about. This song is about a person who is living the "sweet life" because they have money. My guess is that it may be the guy from the letter because of the first line, "The best song wasn't the single, but you weren't either". Also, I would love to know which song Frank believes is the best song off the album. And I'd also like to see a place like Ladera Heights. I never got into Baldwin Hills (the TV show) so I've never seen a community like that.

Am I reading too much into this line? "The water's blue, swallow the pill, keeping it surreal, whatever you like..." I'm thinking that he's saying that birth control and possibly even Plan B is so accessible to this community that they do whatever they like without any consequences. Whereas on the previous track (Sierra Leone), not using protection led to an unwanted(?) preganancy, on this track he's saying that they can have as much unprotected sex as they want because she (in this case it would have to be a she instead of a he) can just pop a pill. ORRRR maybe the water (pools & beaches) is the pill and some type of high ("Keeping it surreal, whatever you like, whatever feels good, whatever takes you mountain high, etc.).

Then Frank briefly compares himself to this guy/girl by saying that he doesn't have an HD TV. It's too "real" for him. That goes along with him calling this life "surreal". Kind of a contrast here.

Sweetie Pie. Hmmmm. Well I guess you can call a guy that too so that doesn't help me figure out the gender of the person he's singing about, :lol:

The chorus is pretty simple. I've seen many critics talk about the line "So why see the world, when you've got the beach?" Personally, if I ever have a pile of money just sitting in my bank account, I'm going to want to see the world. Screw the beach, :lol: But I guess he's saying that these people should be grateful that they already have a beach in essentially their backyards. You have a beach!! That's already amazing. That's the "sweet life" right then and there. No traveling necessary!

"The best song wasn't the single, but you couldn't turn your radio down, satellite need a receiver, can't seem to turn the radio fully off, transmitting the waves." Wow. To me, he's saying that this guy/girl wasn't single but he/she couldn't stop being with Frank, hanging with Frank, kissing(?) Frank, sending Frank mixed signals, etc.
"Transmitting the waves, You're catching that breeze till you're dead in the grave" = 1. You'll always be rich (He also says later "Live and die in the life" which re-confirms this theory) OR 2. You'll never admit who you truly are and that you love me. So you're resigned to going to your grave with that secret.

Last part
"And the water, is exactly what I wanted, it's everything I thought it'd be" = His high.
"But this neighborhood is getting trippier every day, neighborhood is going ape shit crazy" = The best I can come up with for this line is that he's not used to that type of community/environment. They appear bat shit crazy to him! Maybe (if we go by sterotypes) they have big heads, they take things for granted, they buy ridiculous things, etc.

Stamp Paid
Jul 15th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Loving your analyses. Can't wait until you get to Pink Matter :oh:

MrProdigy555
Jul 15th, 2012, 04:06 AM
At first listen without actually analyzing it, when he said something about the pill first thing that popped in my head was The Matrix. :lol:

doni1212
Jul 15th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Loving your analyses. Can't wait until you get to Pink Matter :oh:

Yeah, that's probably going to be the hardest one to dissect.

At first listen without actually analyzing it, when he said something about the pill first thing that popped in my head was The Matrix. :lol:

After I write each "review", I look at what Rap Genius came up with and that's what they said too...

"The blue pill refers to the 1999 movie ‘The Matrix’ in which Keeanu Reeves’s character was given the choice of taking a blue or red pill. The blue would allow him to remain “asleep” in the dream (surreal) world of the Matrix, the red would wake him up, showing him the grim reality of the real world. Frank wishes to continue living his dream life."

MrProdigy555
Jul 15th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah, that's probably going to be the hardest one to dissect.

After I write each "review", I look at what Rap Genius came up with and that's what they said too...

"The blue pill refers to the 1999 movie ‘The Matrix’ in which Keeanu Reeves’s character was given the choice of taking a blue or red pill. The blue would allow him to remain “asleep” in the dream (surreal) world of the Matrix, the red would wake him up, showing him the grim reality of the real world. Frank wishes to continue living his dream life."

Aw, snap! The Matrix is literally my favorite movie. :lol:

LoveFifteen
Jul 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I've been listening to the album all week hoping that I would start liking it more. The only songs I really love are Pyramids, Lost and Bad Religion. The first 9 tracks on the album are way too much "talking singing" for my taste. I am still listening to nostalgia ultra and loving it though

Dodoboy.
Jul 15th, 2012, 12:27 PM

It is a full song ;) I've had it on my iPod for weeks now. Not sure where I got it from, I'll have a searcg,

RenaSlam.
Jul 16th, 2012, 09:38 PM
These albums are beyond ridiculously good. I can't stop. :worship:

Frank, keep making sweet ass music.

Stamp Paid
Jul 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM
It is a full song ;) I've had it on my iPod for weeks now. Not sure where I got it from, I'll have a searcg,
Please upload it when you can, sistren.

Stamp Paid
Jul 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Stop thinking of this as being money
It's just money, I'mma make more
No, no no no no no
Please decondition yourself
It's happiness.

doni1212
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Here are some videos from Frank's tour stops in Seattle and Vancouver. He definitely got a bigger band than his previous shows. Movin' on up!

YPwSuacbKUQ

vYLE3BQN8-k

fxzV3-3sBKs

NlD7ohvFDv8

Everytime I hear him perform "I Miss You", I feel like crying!
wSnH_BLuftM

qGWicEv6tRk

Osikkr2g08M

Slutiana
Jul 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
I've been listening to the album all week hoping that I would start liking it more. The only songs I really love are Pyramids, Lost and Bad Religion. The first 9 tracks on the album are way too much "talking singing" for my taste. I am still listening to nostalgia ultra and loving it though
These are all also my thoughts on him in a nutshell. :lol:

ampers&
Jul 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM
Mo how you feel about it now?
I can understand your initial reaction, its not exactly what I thought it would be. But I still love it. :hearts:
Finally relistened thoroughly and still feel exactly the same unfortunately. :lol: Not feeling the album at all. It's just not good to me production wise at all as it doesn't feel cohesive at all. Like an album full of scattered thoughts. And his singing and lyrics don't do it for me this time either.

supergrunt
Jul 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM
I'm a semi-fan of Frank Ocean. I like some of his songs and some of the songs he's written ("Thinking About You," "Pyramids," "I Miss You" by Beyonce) but I think that he's stuck in between cool guy and sensitive artist: somewhere in between Childish Gambino and Stevie Wonder (not to compare him to Stevie Wonder). For instance, if you listen to his voice on a song like "Thinking About You," he's not quite sure if he wants to rap, sing, or do that in between Drake rap-singing thing that only Drake really pulls off; also, I think that some of the topics that he chooses to rap-sing about are banal, cliche, and unimportant--and it lessens the impact that the composition and production of his songs would otherwise have. For instance, "Super Rich Kids" is a cliche portrait of the ironically miserable existence of wealthy spoiled brats who take "Too many joy rides in daddy’s Jaguar" and have nothing better to do than tell "white lies" and inhale "white lines." Who cares? I think that once he drops some of the boyish swagger and starts actually singing--and including more substantial themes in his songs--he will capitalize on his unique sound and song-writing talent.

Ryan
Jul 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM
I don't think what he's talking about needs to be a crazy important topic - Pyramids, like better people than me in here have said, seems to be about the "plight" or history of the black woman. So, not every song has to be (or CAN be) that epic in scope. Since this is an album of him reflecting back to his first love/recent past, I don't care if some songs are banal or trivial. SRK is one of my favourite songs on the album because of the apathetic delivery, pounding beats, and Earl's laid-back verse.

Not sure its scattered or unfocused to be either, aside from the beginning - Start/Thinkin Bout You/Sierra Leone is a weird lineup. But Sweet Life/SRK blends into Pilot Jones/Crack Rock, then Pyramids, then Lost/Monks, Pink Matter/Bad Religion/Forrest Gump. I definitely get why people may not like the back-and-forth sing/rap stuff, I find it off-putting sometimes too.

Stamp Paid
Jul 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM
I don't think what he's talking about needs to be a crazy important topic - Pyramids, like better people than me in here have said, seems to be about the "plight" or history of the black woman. So, not every song has to be (or CAN be) that epic in scope. Since this is an album of him reflecting back to his first love/recent past, I don't care if some songs are banal or trivial. SRK is one of my favourite songs on the album because of the apathetic delivery, pounding beats, and Earl's laid-back verse.

Not sure its scattered or unfocused to be either, aside from the beginning - Start/Thinkin Bout You/Sierra Leone is a weird lineup. But Sweet Life/SRK blends into Pilot Jones/Crack Rock, then Pyramids, then Lost/Monks, Pink Matter/Bad Religion/Forrest Gump. I definitely get why people may not like the back-and-forth sing/rap stuff, I find it off-putting sometimes too.I think I kinda understand the albums order, the interludes are meant to tie the albums themes together, but you have to decode them, with the channels changing, the voices and sounds. I get the Start/Thinkin Bout you/Fertilizer bridge, the iphone text to the playstation 1 sound showed that he was going back into the past, and then Thinkg Bout You is about the heartbreak, then Fertilizer is about him taking the bullshit from the dude about not being in love with him back, and Frank holding onto whatever interaction he can with the guy. Sierra Leone throws me off, but Sweet Life and Super Rich Kids are about his love, who I think was some kind of upper middle class black boy out in California. And isn't Earl himself one of those upper middle class, latchkey black boys that stays in trouble? I think his mom is a DA and his dad is a lawyer, or something. So him on that track is brilliant. To me, part of the genius of the album lies in its arrangement.

Ryan
Jul 21st, 2012, 08:11 PM
Agree about the arrangement. I don't think Sweet Life/SRK are about a dude specifically though :shrug: Most of the album is ambiguous, which Im cool with.

doni1212
Jul 22nd, 2012, 01:56 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/21/frank-ocean-guardian-exclusive-interview?newsfeed=true

Frank Ocean: the most talked-about man in music

His new album Channel Orange was rushed out a week early to rave reviews, then he made headlines worldwide by blogging about his sexuality. 'I wanted to wake up without this freakin' boulder on my chest,' he says in this Guardian exclusive

Frank Ocean has had quite the week. "Yes," he says, smiling, with a barely perceptible shake of the head, as if in mild disbelief. Then he nods: "Yes. But also awesome." Two things have contributed to making his week awesome. There's the surprise release of his second album Channel Orange, a week before it was officially planned, which met with rabidly enthusiastic reviews comparing his idiosyncratic, narrative-heavy reimagining of soul and R&B to Prince and Stevie Wonder. Then there was the post on Tumblr in which he told, beautifully, the story of falling in love for the first time, with a man. "I don't know what happens now, and that's alrite," he wrote.

You can understand why Ocean might be feeling a little stunned. He's suddenly the most talked-about man in music, though he hasn't yet done much of the talking himself. He shuffles into a dressing room behind Vancouver's Commodore Ballroom nursing a herbal tea, and plays with it nervously, a hoodie wrapped around his neck like a scarf, before politely shaking my hand, all the time avoiding eye contact. He's 24, relatively new to all of this, and suddenly the world wants to know his business.

Right now the old formula holds true: the less you know about him, the more you want to know. He's managed to maintain a rare air of pop star mystery. "It's not formulaic," he says. "It's not me necessarily trying to preserve mystique. It's who I am. It's how I prefer to move. I really don't think that deeply about it at all, I swear I don't. I'm just existing."
'Sure, evil exists, extremism exists. Somebody could commit a hate crime and hurt me … but they could do the same just because I'm black. Do you just not go outside your house?'

There's a sense that impulse has driven Frank Ocean's career so far. He emerged from two worlds: he was a successful songwriter for the likes of Brandy, Justin Bieber and Beyoncé; and he ran with Odd Future, though always seemed more mature than their mouthier shock tactics. It could be argued with conviction that he's already eclipsed them. Packing up, broke, and driving away from his hometown of New Orleans, post-Katrina, to give it a shot as a songwriter in LA was a risk. Giving away his first album Nostalgia, Ultra for free was a risk (he put it online in 2011 without the knowledge of his label, Def Jam). Coming out was a risk.

"I won't touch on risky, because that's subjective," he says. "People are just afraid of things too much. Afraid of things that don't necessarily merit fear. Me putting Nostalgia out … what's physically going to happen? Me saying what I said on my Tumblr last week? Sure, evil exists, extremism exists. Somebody could commit a hate crime and hurt me. But they could do the same just because I'm black. They could do the same just because I'm American. Do you just not go outside your house? Do you not drive your car because of the statistics? How else are you limiting your life for fear?"

Though he thinks of himself as existing outside of conventional music genres – and the broad ambition of new album Channel Orange touches on everything from Marvin Gaye to Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix – Ocean's roots are in R&B and hip-hop, neither of which are known for their nurturing attitude towards the rainbow flag. Which makes what he just did seem remarkably courageous. "I don't know," he demurs, looking down. "A lot of people have said that since that news came out. I suppose a percentage of that act was because of altruism; because I was thinking of how I wished at 13 or 14 there was somebody I looked up to who would have said something like that, who would have been transparent in that way. But there's another side of it that's just about my own sanity and my ability to feel like I'm living a life where I'm not just successful on paper, but sure that I'm happy when I wake up in the morning, and not with this freakin' boulder on my chest."
'I could have changed the words. But why? I feel it's another time now. I have no interest in contributing to that, especially with my art – the one thing that I know will outlive me'

Ocean didn't come out spontaneously, though. He wrote his letter in December 2011, to include in the sleevenotes for Channel Orange, pre-empting any potential speculation that might arise from some of its songs obviously addressing men. "I knew that I was writing in a way that people would ask questions," he explains. "I knew that my star was rising, and I knew that if I waited I would always have somebody that I respected be able to encourage me to wait longer, to not say it till who knows when." He's not one for playing the game, clearly. "It was important for me to know that when I go out on the road and I do these things, that I'm looking at people who are applauding because of an appreciation for me," he says. "I don't have many secrets, so if you know that, and you're still applauding … it may be some sort of sick validation but it was important to me. When I heard people talking about certain, you know, 'pronouns' in the writing of the record, I just wanted to – like I said on the post – offer some clarity; clarify, before the fire got too wild and the conversation became too unfocused and murky."

Later that evening, when he performs to a near-hysterical crowd, a line like "You're so buff and so strong, I'm nervous … You run my mind, boy" sounds astonishingly subversive, hammering home how rarely we hear overtly same-sex songs, no matter what the genre. Asked why he didn't fall back on the generic "you", he shrugs: "When you write a song like Forrest Gump, the subject can't be androgynous. It requires an unnecessary amount of effort. I don't fear anybody … " He laughs, making eye contact at last, his face lighting up, " … at all. So, to answer your question, yes, I could have easily changed the words. But for what? I just feel like it's just another time now. I have no interest in contributing to that, especially with my art. It's the one thing that I know will outlive me and outlive my feelings. It will outlive my depressive seasons."

These "depressive seasons", he says, have been erased suddenly by his recent catharsis, but the bleakness of his music has been one of its most notable qualities. Drake and the Weeknd have peddled urban navel-gazing for a year or two, but Frank is on another level, telling dark cinematic stories with a screenwriter's eye for character. Nostalgia, Ultra was full of unhappy souls: songs which initially appear to be sexy slow jams crumble under the weight of despair; take the refrain of Novocaine, "fuck me good, fuck me long, fuck me numb", that final adverb joining grief to lust. Channel Orange has a fascination with decadence in the midst of decline, but its protagonists are equally sad and lost. The album's narratives take in drug addicts, strippers, but also rich kids ruined by consumerism who end up dead or, at the least, on the receiving end of some vicious sarcasm: "Why see the world when you got the beach?" he sings on Sweet Life.
'My grandfather was a mentor for NA and AA groups. I used to go to the meetings and hear the addicts: heroin and crack and alcohol. Stories like that influence a song like Crack Rock'

Ocean is unsure about what draws him to the darker side. "I honestly couldn't tell you," he finally says, after a long silence. "I would say, those were the colours I had to work with on those days." Is it drawn from experience? "Absolutely. I mean, 'experience' is an interesting word. I just bear witness. For a song like Crack Rock, my grandfather, who had struggled to be a father for my mum and my uncle … his second chance at fatherhood was me. In his early-20s, he had a host of problems with addiction and substance abuse. When I knew him, he was a mentor for the NA and the AA groups. I used to go to the meetings and hear these stories from the addicts – heroin and crack and alcohol. So stories like that influence a song like that." Some of his narratives are pure fantasy, he says. In the case of Pyramids' epic first half this isn't too surprising – it takes place in ancient Egypt – but that, too, twists itself into the story of a stripper providing for a pimp, and turns out to be rooted in real life. "I have actual pimps in my family in LA," he chuckles. "It was fantasy built off that dynamic … but you can only write what you know to a point."

The attention to detail that goes into his songs is astonishing. He sings Crack Rock with a hint of fractured breathiness that his sound engineer tried to iron out. "He said, 'Are we really going to let this slide?' And I was like, 'Yes, because that's how a smoker would sing.'" Music, more than any other art form, demands autobiography: we want our singers to be giving us authentic love or pain; we want to believe it's first-hand. Fortunately, Frank Ocean is a natural-born storyteller.

When he talks about his music – how this bit here was influenced by Sly And The Family Stone, why that vocal retake happened, even the dying business model the industry is built on – he looks up, becoming animated, lively, and less shy. It would be easy to think that he's reluctant to be famous – Vancouver tonight marks only his 10th solo gig – but when he left New Orleans in 2005, he changed his name from Lonny Breaux to Frank Ocean because he decided it would look better on magazine covers. (He also cares enough to have personally authorised the cover image for this week's Guardian Guide.)

"I've always wanted to make a career in the arts, and I think that my only hope at doing that is to make it more about the work," he says. But he could have been a successful songwriter anonymously – if it's all about the music, why step out from behind the pen? "I enjoy singing my songs in front of people. I enjoy being involved in making the artwork for albums and stupid stuff like that. I wouldn't be a part of [it] if I was just writing songs for others. And I said more about the music," he grins, lest there be any doubt that he intends to be a star.

doni1212
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:07 AM
I think I kinda understand the albums order, the interludes are meant to tie the albums themes together, but you have to decode them, with the channels changing, the voices and sounds. I get the Start/Thinkin Bout you/Fertilizer bridge, the iphone text to the playstation 1 sound showed that he was going back into the past, and then Thinkg Bout You is about the heartbreak, then Fertilizer is about him taking the bullshit from the dude about not being in love with him back, and Frank holding onto whatever interaction he can with the guy. Sierra Leone throws me off, but Sweet Life and Super Rich Kids are about his love, who I think was some kind of upper middle class black boy out in California. And isn't Earl himself one of those upper middle class, latchkey black boys that stays in trouble? I think his mom is a DA and his dad is a lawyer, or something. So him on that track is brilliant. To me, part of the genius of the album lies in its arrangement.

I agree with all of this. I didn't know that about Earl. He thinks everything out so thoroughly!

Agree about the arrangement. I don't think Sweet Life/SRK are about a dude specifically though :shrug: Most of the album is ambiguous, which Im cool with.

So what do you think Sweet Life and SRK are about then? If anything, SRK would be more ambiguous than Sweet Life so I'm really interested to know what you think about Sweet Life. Personally, I think they're about the same guy like LBV said but I love how all of his songs are open to so many different interpretations.

doni1212
Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:42 AM
Not Just Money

Back to another interlude/changing of the channel/commercial.

This sounds like maybe Frank's Mom giving him a life lesson. Once these young artists get to a certain stage where the money is flowing in, it starts to feel like it'll always be there. Hence, her mocking his quote "It's just money, Imma make more". (Although I don't think his money is flowing in like it is NOW from the context clues in the song. That line is him referring to the future or him making more money at his current job). She explains that money is so much more than money. It's the difference between having your own house and being homeless. It is NOT "just" money. It's valuable and you can't take it for granted. You can't expect it to be here today AND here tomorrow. Which is her point at the very end of the song when she says, "Ooo yeah, Imma make myself a hot link when I get home, it meant nothing to you, saving my 7 dollars". Seven dollars may seem like NOTHING. Why not spend it? It's JUST seven dollars right? No. That's her point. That seven dollars can be part of the roof over your head. You need to save that seven dollars. Not "just" money. That's why the line "Please decondition yourself" is so perfect, my favorite quote from NJM and the theme of this commercial. Love this!

I like how she broke it down too. Right now in the song, money is whether or not he could attend his prom. In the future, it'll be his ability to provide for himself and his family. And in HER present, it's her trying to save her seven dollars because she has bills to pay. She'll need every single part of that seven dollars that she just saved in order to pay those bills. But her son didn't see it that way. He didn't see it as her trying to provide for him. "I have bills to pay, but that meant nothing to you, absolutely nothing". Maybe she decided not to buy fast food or something because she says that she's going to make a "hot link" when she goes home. They can't afford what is in fact a type of luxury.

Finally, the one line that I'm giving the side-eye and kind of skeptical about is the happiness line. "It's happiness, it's the difference between happy, being happy and sad..." That's debatable. It helps but as we see with celebrities oftentimes, it doesn't necessarily make you happy. Being poor will make you sad though! :lol: Although sometimes if you have a person to love and a family, money is no match for that, :shrug:

Anyway, this is a great addition to the album! Only one minute but it goes IN!

Stamp Paid
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ggd18pOd1ryxr0lo1_500.gif

Going to see Franky tonight. I'll try to take some pics/videos in between asking him to marry me.

Stamp Paid
Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Not Just Money

Back to another interlude/changing of the channel/commercial.

This sounds like maybe Frank's Mom giving him a life lesson. Once these young artists get to a certain stage where the money is flowing in, it starts to feel like it'll always be there. Hence, her mocking his quote "It's just money, Imma make more". (Although I don't think his money is flowing in like it is NOW from the context clues in the song. That line is him referring to the future or him making more money at his current job). She explains that money is so much more than money. It's the difference between having your own house and being homeless. It is NOT "just" money. It's valuable and you can't take it for granted. You can't expect it to be here today AND here tomorrow. Which is her point at the very end of the song when she says, "Ooo yeah, Imma make myself a hot link when I get home, it meant nothing to you, saving my 7 dollars". Seven dollars may seem like NOTHING. Why not spend it? It's JUST seven dollars right? No. That's her point. That seven dollars can be part of the roof over your head. You need to save that seven dollars. Not "just" money. That's why the line "Please decondition yourself" is so perfect, my favorite quote from NJM and the theme of this commercial. Love this!

I like how she broke it down too. Right now in the song, money is whether or not he could attend his prom. In the future, it'll be his ability to provide for himself and his family. And in HER present, it's her trying to save her seven dollars because she has bills to pay. She'll need every single part of that seven dollars that she just saved in order to pay those bills. But her son didn't see it that way. He didn't see it as her trying to provide for him. "I have bills to pay, but that meant nothing to you, absolutely nothing". Maybe she decided not to buy fast food or something because she says that she's going to make a "hot link" when she goes home. They can't afford what is in fact a type of luxury.

Finally, the one line that I'm giving the side-eye and kind of skeptical about is the happiness line. "It's happiness, it's the difference between happy, being happy and sad..." That's debatable. It helps but as we see with celebrities oftentimes, it doesn't necessarily make you happy. Being poor will make you sad though! :lol: Although sometimes if you have a person to love and a family, money is no match for that, :shrug:

Anyway, this is a great addition to the album! Only one minute but it goes IN!I can sooooooo hear my mother saying all that. That sarcastic ass "ooh let me get a hot link when I get home" and especially the "Please decondition yourself." :lol::lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 23rd, 2012, 03:33 AM
Franky was awesome. Hes now my baby daddy.
He didn't perform the life giving Pink Matter, and thats my only complaint. But he killed it. I have a few pics and avid I'll upload tonight.

Ryan
Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
:lol: Glad you had fun. Not surprised he didn't play Pink Matter, doesn't seem like a standout live track to me. Can you tell us the setlist to when you've got a chance? Seeing him in MTL next Sunday, stoked!

MrProdigy555
Jul 23rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
I hate both of you. :lol: