PDA

View Full Version : Courts far to slow for good tennis anymore

coolbird2
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Womens tennis will and is suffering by them slowing up the courts at mixed events. That is to stop the mens matches becoming an ace feast i can understand that. But if they slow up the courts they need to either have different courts for men and women. Or make the mixed events suffers more fair.

RenaSlam.
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I tend to agree. The courts seem to be slower just about everywhere nowadays.

edificio
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I like fast courts. Makes the matches more lively.

Petkorazzi
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:35 PM
So true. :hysteric: Personally, I love watching Luxembourg because the matches there are always good. :sobbing:

Simugna Help
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Yes, the ball seems to lose too much momentum hitting the ground. Dubai was OK speed wise, all other tournaments though are so slow.

Wiggly
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Blame Nadal and Djokovic to a lesser extent.

These guys want less tournaments and a lighter schedule.
You just need to speed up the courts!

Ferg
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Paris was so nice to watch :sobbing: I hate slow courts.

Petkorazzi
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Paris was so nice to watch :sobbing: I hate slow courts.
This. Paris really brought the the best out of players. The fast surface rewards aggressive players and amazing counterpunchers (Peak JJ, Kerber, occasionally BZS) and gives us the joy of watching the types of Wozniacki (whose defense is considered good just cause the slow courts give her plenty of time to get back into point) get destroyed. :drool:

pov
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I agree. As does Federer. I'd guess that Nadal and Djokovic aren't too dismayed by the seemingly ongoing slowing of surfaces.

laurie
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:37 PM
check my artcile on this vexing subject:

http://burnstennis.blogspot.co.uk/#!/2012/03/indoor-tennis-dilemma.html

brickhousesupporter
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:45 PM
What are you talking about ask Dsanders....."Indian Wells courts are slower than Miami's"......enjoy the fast Miami courts.

Wiggly
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Could the WTA use lighter balls than the ATP?

mac47
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Petra-proofing the tour...

Charlatan
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:23 AM
it's understandable that they slow down certain courts in mixed events for the ATP, but i don't think bringing back certain indoor tours like zurich, stuggart would hurt. may be i am being a bit biased, cause these two tours used to be one of my favorite events.

making a separate court for women is an impossible option, though since it would take time, money to build stadiums. the only option should be putting certain indoor events back on the WTA calendar instead of having a useless Asian swing after the USO

Blu€
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:24 AM
This. Paris really brought the the best out of players. The fast surface rewards aggressive players and amazing counterpunchers (Peak JJ, Kerber, occasionally BZS) and gives us the joy of watching the types of Wozniacki (whose defense is considered good just cause the slow courts give her plenty of time to get back into point) get destroyed. :drool:

Yeah right that's why clay is Wozniacki's worst surface...talk about nonsense, and her defense is good because of her good anticipation.

People need to stop whining, it is what it is. I personally don't see the fun in watching 2 stroke rallies.

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Of course she is, but you have to remember she is 69 years old.

jameshazza
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Well it is safe to say that a lot of :facepalm: Slams and rankings wouldn't have happened if this weren't the case. Also we don't want to see any more than 3 groundies in a row from ridiculous pushers, we want matches were the tennis is exciting and shots make your heart race.

Eventually they will have to speed them back up as it is becoming a real joke now, its just a shame a lot of players from this era will suffer.

Wiggly
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Yeah right that's why clay is Wozniacki's worst surface...talk about nonsense, and her defense is good because of her good anticipation.

People need to stop whining, it is what it is. I personally don't see the fun in watching 2 stroke rallies.

There's a balance that need to be reached between two strok rallies and 20 stroke rallies on every single point.
Especially if these long rallies are moonballs that land on the T.

Blu€
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:45 AM
There's a balance that need to be reached between two strok rallies and 20 stroke rallies on every single point.
Especially if these long rallies are moonballs that land on the T.

I would agree but that barely ever happens...few players are able to sustain that level for long.