PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi woman critically beaten in Calif.;

mykarma
Mar 25th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Iraqi woman critically beaten in Calif.; threat note left at scene
Message told family to 'go back to your own country,' friend says

EL CAJON, Calif. — A 32-year-old woman from Iraq was critically injured after being severely beaten in her Southern California home, and police said a threatening note was discovered at the scene.

The woman's 17-year-old daughter found her unconscious Wednesday morning in the dining room of the house in El Cajon, police Lt. Steve Shakowski said. Authorities identified the victim as Shaima Alawadi, a mother of five.

The daughter told KUSI-TV that her mother had been beaten on the head repeatedly with a tire iron.

Police Lt. Mark Coit said a threatening note was discovered "very close to where the victim was found," but he did not disclose other details of the note. The family said they had found a similar note earlier this month but did not report it to authorities, Coit said.

Sura Alzaidy, a family friend, told UT San Diego the note told the family to “go back to your own country. You’re a terrorist.”

Alzaidy said the attack apparently occurred after the father took the younger children to school. Alzaidy told the newspaper the family is from Iraq, and that Alawadi is a "respectful modest muhajiba," meaning she wears the traditional hijab, a head scarf.

The family had lived in the house in San Diego County for only a few weeks, after moving from Michigan, Alzaidy said. Alzaidy told the newspaper her father and Alawadi's husband had previously worked together in San Diego as private contractors for the U.S. Army, serving as cultural advisers to train soldiers who were going to be deployed to the Middle East.

El Cajon, northeast of downtown San Diego, is home to some 40,000 Iraqi immigrants, the second largest such community in the U.S. after Detroit.
This is so sad and to think they called them terrorist. :o

mykarma
Mar 25th, 2012, 05:47 PM
(Reuters) - A mother from Iraq who was severely beaten in her southern California home and left with a threatening note nearby died on Saturday, and police are considering a hate crime as a possible motive in the murder investigation.

Shaima Alawadi, 32, was found unconscious in the dining room of her home in El Cajon, near San Diego, on Wednesday morning by her 17-year-old daughter, said El Cajon police spokesman Lieutenant Mark Coit.

She was taken to a local trauma center with grave injuries. Doctors took her off life support and she died on Saturday afternoon, Coit said.

During the initial stages of the investigation, Coit said a threatening note was discovered "very close to where the victims was found."

The victim's daughter and family friends told local news media that the note threatened Alawadi because she was Iraqi and called her death a hate crime -- a possibility that Coit said police were considering.

"We are looking at all aspects of this crime including that possibility," Coit told Reuters. "We want to stay open-minded so we make sure we don't miss anything." Alawadi's family told investigators that they had found a similar note earlier this month, but did not report it to authorities, Coit said. He did not detail the contents of the threatening note found near the dying woman. But a family friend, Sura Alzaidy, told the San Diego Union Tribune newspaper the note read: "Go back to your own country. You're a terrorist." Shahina Sial, the landlord of the rented home in El Cajon where Alawadi's family lived, said the family had only lived at the property for a few weeks, after moving back to San Diego County from Michigan.

Sial said Alawadi's husband works as a contractor for the U.S. military. Coit asked anyone with information regarding the investigation to contact the El Cajon Police Department.

(Writing by Tim Gaynor; Editing by David
This breaks my heart. How can someone call someone a terrorist and terrorize women and children like these terrorist did to this innocent family?

M.S.F
Mar 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM
RrnMYg62boM

Really sad.

mykarma
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM
RrnMYg62boM

Really sad.
I hope they hurry up and find out who did this. What cowards to beat an innocent woman like that.

JN
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Racism is the most ignorant concept ever dreamed up. And it's always the most vile elements of society who practice it. How sad that this young mother of 5 is not expected to survive her injuries. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

mykarma
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Racism is the most ignorant concept ever dreamed up. And it's always the most vile elements of society who practice it. How sad that this young mother of 5 is not expected to survive her injuries. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
She died yesterday evening.

JN
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:25 AM
RIP Mrs. Alawadi.

tenn_ace
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:40 AM
some on other boards hurried to blame the husband who "is arab/muslim and probably killed her because she did not want to follow his orders and he covered it up with the note..."

I mean - really??? :rolleyes:

delicatecutter
Mar 26th, 2012, 02:54 AM
She died yesterday evening.

Oh no!! This is horrible! :sad:

mykarma
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:07 AM
some on other boards hurried to blame the husband who "is arab/muslim and probably killed her because she did not want to follow his orders and he covered it up with the note..."

Wasn't the husband out with the son?

Inger67
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:17 AM
omg this is so sad :sad: I seriously can't believe people! I hope they find out who did this! Not like it will bring her :sad: But justice still needs to be done..

Rocketta
Mar 26th, 2012, 05:08 AM
That's awful, hopefully they will catch the person or persons. :(

pov
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
No - racism is a term applied in many ways. Some of the things it's applied to are understandable. No - in fact many of the people who are constantly crying about it, practice elements of it themselves. Yes - and even if she does survive the attack itself is vile. Very much yes.

JN
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM
No - racism is a term applied in many ways. Some of the things it's applied to are understandable. No - in fact many of the people who are constantly crying about it, practice elements of it themselves. Yes - and even if she does survive the attack itself is vile. Very much yes.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/CircularFile.jpg

WowWow
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:54 PM
So what more do they need to call it a hate crime or bias crime (I'm not familiar with California laws)?

tenn_ace
Mar 26th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Wasn't the husband out with the son?

that's my understanding as well. this was not the first note that found, apparently, as well.

pov
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:06 PM
-----
:lol: I'm not surprised that you have nothing intelligent to bring to a discourse. It's evn funnier to see how many people still think the way to a society more respecting of all peoples is to reject all opinions that contradict the ones they hold dear.

JN
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:30 PM
:lol: I'm not surprised that you have nothing intelligent to bring to a discourse. It's evn funnier to see how many people still think the way to a society more respecting of all peoples is to reject all opinions that contradict the ones they hold dear.

I offered my prayers and condolences to the family. You came in here challenging the reality of racism, as always, thus your words were filed.

The unpopularity of almost every opinion you have has made you into a very bitter and defensive person. You seem to challenge shit just for the hell of an argument, yet I'm the one who has nothing intelligent to bring to a discourse? Stop avoiding mirrors, because you really need to take a long look at yourself. Remove the plank from your own eye, before you look for the splinter in mine.

miffedmax
Mar 27th, 2012, 04:44 PM
A sad story. What part of "Thou shall not kill" do some people not understand?

WowWow
Mar 27th, 2012, 11:43 PM

Ugh. I'm not sure where you're going with this, but can we just focus on the subject here?
JN did nothing wrong to begin with.

Halardfan
Apr 7th, 2012, 01:02 AM
This case seems to have taken a twist, with court documents forming a picture of a family in conflict. This evidence at least raises the possibility that family member may have been involved, most notably the daughter...

The daughter had reportedly vehemently been resisting and arranged marriage to her cousin, and had the previous year thrown herself from a moving car. She received a dubious text message when being questioned.

The victim also had divorce papers in her car and was planning to move away.

None of this definitively proves anything, it may yet be that it was a hate crime as was claimed.

But there have to be significant doubts now, based on the evidence.

$uricate
Nov 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Quelle surprise :rolleyes:

Another non-white Racist blaming the white man for his crime.

Where's the outcry from our resident race panel now?

:tumbleweed:

$uricate
Nov 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Yeah cause there was no chance of that :rolleyes:

Keep an open mind in future.

fifty-fifty
Nov 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/0Kmmw4HOXT6w61kQ56drKA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9ODgxO2NyPTE7Y3c9MTIzMztkeD0wO2 R5PTA7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9NDUxO3E9ODU7dz02MzA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/da1801b299f06d1f200f6a7067005a5d.jpg

They were right.

Husband held in killing of Iraqi-American woman

http://news.yahoo.com/husband-held-killing-iraqi-american-woman-213224429.html

Saturday - 11/10/2012, 6:04am ET
By ELLIOT SPAGAT
Associated Press

The husband of an Iraqi-American woman whose beating death initially appeared to be a hate crime was arrested on suspicion of murder in what police described Friday as an act of domestic violence.

The killing of 32-year-old Shaima Alawadi drew international attention in March when the couple's 17-year-old daughter told reporters that she found a note by her mother's bludgeoned body that read: "Go back to your country, you terrorist."

Kassim Alhimidi, 48, was taken into custody Thursday after being called into the police station, said El Cajon Police Chief Jim Redman.

Police said there were no other suspects. Redman declined to comment on the evidence or elaborate on a possible motive.

"Criminal investigations build, evidence builds, and you reach a point where you have enough evidence to move forward, and that's what happened in this case," he said.

The affidavit, which was released to the newspaper while the family was in Iraq for the burial, showed Fatima Alawadi was upset about a pending arranged marriage to a cousin. She told police that she was in her bedroom when she heard her mother squeal and glass break.

The affidavit also said Alawadi wanted to get a divorce and move to Texas.

Whoa, I'm definitely stunned by this. I feel so bad for the children.

JN
Nov 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/0Kmmw4HOXT6w61kQ56drKA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9ODgxO2NyPTE7Y3c9MTIzMztkeD0wO2 R5PTA7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9NDUxO3E9ODU7dz02MzA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/da1801b299f06d1f200f6a7067005a5d.jpg

They were right.

Husband held in killing of Iraqi-American woman

http://news.yahoo.com/husband-held-killing-iraqi-american-woman-213224429.html

Saturday - 11/10/2012, 6:04am ET
By ELLIOT SPAGAT
Associated Press

The husband of an Iraqi-American woman whose beating death initially appeared to be a hate crime was arrested on suspicion of murder in what police described Friday as an act of domestic violence.

The killing of 32-year-old Shaima Alawadi drew international attention in March when the couple's 17-year-old daughter told reporters that she found a note by her mother's bludgeoned body that read: "Go back to your country, you terrorist."

Kassim Alhimidi, 48, was taken into custody Thursday after being called into the police station, said El Cajon Police Chief Jim Redman.

Police said there were no other suspects. Redman declined to comment on the evidence or elaborate on a possible motive.

"Criminal investigations build, evidence builds, and you reach a point where you have enough evidence to move forward, and that's what happened in this case," he said.

The affidavit, which was released to the newspaper while the family was in Iraq for the burial, showed Fatima Alawadi was upset about a pending arranged marriage to a cousin. She told police that she was in her bedroom when she heard her mother squeal and glass break.

The affidavit also said Alawadi wanted to get a divorce and move to Texas.

I blame Bush.

*JR*
Nov 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Either (if the husband was indeed behind it, and not wrongly accused) she was the victim of a so-called "honor killing". OR (if he was made the fall guy, and it really was a bias-driven attack) she was the victim of hatred against extremists she presumably came here in part to escape. Either way, its inexcusable. :mad:

Halardfan
Nov 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Not the biggest surprise for me if proved true, the original story, the circumstances of it, didnt quite ring true and I felt the police at least thought someone in the family was involved. A tragic event.

$uricate
Nov 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Either (if the husband was indeed behind it, and not wrongly accused) she was the victim of a so-called "honor killing". OR (if he was made the fall guy, and it really was a bias-driven attack) she was the victim of hatred against extremists she presumably came here in part to escape. Either way, its inexcusable. :mad:

This.

Sympathy for the victim should be the main concern, it doesn't matter who dealt the blows.

My problem is that this thread is mainly about the hate-crime aspect of the act rather than actual concern for the victim.

Everyone was quite happy to jump to conclusions when they did not know all the facts.

A hate-crime or an honour killing are equally despicable.

kwilliams
Nov 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
She had a baby at 15, meaning she was likely pregnant at 14! The husband was 30 at the time! I don't even know where to start with this. So sad that she was killed by someone who was supposed to have loved her while she had hopes of getting away from him and starting a new life in Texas. I hope the daughter can at least choose her own partner now whenever she chooses to marry.

Sammo
Nov 10th, 2012, 07:38 PM
This is fucking horrible.

Rocketta
Nov 11th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Quelle surprise :rolleyes:

Another non-white Racist blaming the white man for his crime.

Where's the outcry from our resident race panel now?

:tumbleweed:

just FYI, People from Iraq are classified as part of the white race soooooo it's actually a case of a white person accusing another white person?

Also, there are more categories than non-white and white. The fact that you lump all people who are not white into one category says something about you.

Learn the difference between nationality, ethnicities, and race..... please before you try to climb on your high horse next time.

and finally any police force worth a nickle would first investigate the family and friends of a victim of murder no matter what initial circumstances look like because most murder victims are killed by people they know.

sincerely,
'unofficial' member of WtaWorld race panel. :o :o :o :rolleyes: