PDA

View Full Version : Night play at Wimbledon likely for Olympic tennis

spiceboy
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/23/2709674/night-play-at-wimbledon-likely.html

Night play at Wimbledon likely for Olympic tennis

By STEVEN WINE

AP Sports Writer

Turn on the lights, Wimbledon. The Olympics are coming.
Some tennis matches during the London Games are likely to be played under the lights and under the roof on Centre Court at Wimbledon, the venue for the event.

"There will not be a night session, but the matches may go into nighttime," said Juan Margets, executive vice president of the International Tennis Federation.

Lights will be a near necessity because of the tight schedule. Early in the tournament, five matches per day are planned on Centre Court beginning at 11:30 a.m., meaning some sessions will probably extend beyond dusk.
If so, the Centre Court lights will be turned on, which requires closing the roof. The change, made at the discretion of the referee, may take place during a match.

The English weather could also push play past the early evening.
"We have to assume there's going to be some rain, right?" Margets said.
However, there will be no repeat of the Olympic marathons at the Beijing Games, where rain disrupted the schedule, and one session lasted until 3:35 a.m. A town ordinance in Wimbledon prohibits play after 11 p.m.
"We will not stop a match in the middle of a service motion," Margets said with a laugh. "But there is a limit. If by 11 it's not over, we'll go to the next day."
Matches won't start after 9 p.m., he said.

Centre Court has had a roof since the 2009 tournament. The roof was closed because of rain once in 2009 and not at all in 2010, but the cover came in handy last year, when the early part of the tournament was plagued by rain.
Former Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova won a match with the roof closed in 2011, and she said it alters the game.

"It's a bit of a different vibe," she said. "The sound is completely different. You hear the atmosphere much more obviously than when the roof is open. And hitting the ball, even when it hits the grass, it's different."
Nonetheless, she's fine with playing late under the lights.
"Why not?" Sharapova said. "I mean, as long as it doesn't go too late."

Siderophyre
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Well here's a radical idea - morning play. Why don't they just start earlier for God sake? Plenty of free light in the AM.

Sammo
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:25 AM
:eek:

tejmeglekvár
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Well here's a radical idea - morning play. Why don't they just start earlier for God sake? Plenty of free light in the AM.

ever heard of dew?

tenisboss
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:40 AM

I think they start matches at 1:00pm because of very high level of humidity in the morning.

dsanders06
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:42 AM
ever heard of dew?

Yup. Grass is very slippery until about 10am, so it would have to be under the roof if it was going to be early-morning matches. They probably will be starting about 11am though, for the first few days atleast, because the schedule is going to be so much more crammed than ordinary Wimbledon.

Siderophyre
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:50 AM
ever heard of dew?

Jesus, I live pretty close to Wimbledon. The dew is gone by the time I drag myself out of bed in the morning.

tejmeglekvár
Mar 25th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Jesus, I live pretty close to Wimbledon. The dew is gone by the time I drag myself out of bed in the morning.

well, then you have to tell them. ;)

other reason I could think of that everybody needs to wake up at 4-5am at least and get on site in time if they want a 9-10am start. They must be lazy. :shrug:

Vincey!
Mar 25th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Well the night matches would need to be under the roof as well, dew starts during the evening when night falls :shrug: I think it's more marketable if they play later during the day than earlier (American broadcasting)

Vincey!
Mar 25th, 2012, 01:21 AM

On a sunny day the dew might be gone by 8/9am but if it's cloudy it will stay much longer...they can't really schedule it earlier since it would be delayed on most of the days anyway cuz the UK is far from being sunny lol

Siderophyre
Mar 25th, 2012, 01:28 AM
On a sunny day the dew might be gone by 8/9am but if it's cloudy it will stay much longer...they can't really schedule it earlier since it would be delayed on most of the days anyway cuz the UK is far from being sunny lol

:lol: True. Although I must say I played in spectacular weather this morning. Which probably means our annual allocation of sun will be used up by the time Wimbledon rolls around.

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 01:40 AM
there goes nanas chance at a medal :(

iGOAT
Mar 25th, 2012, 05:54 AM
The players would have to wake up at the crack of dawn and most fans don't want to wake up early either.

KournikovaFan91
Mar 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
ever heard of dew?

Dew can develop in the evening too.