PDA

View Full Version : Petra's Window For SEWTA #1 Closing ???

NA-GOAT
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM
she was 2 matches away from SEWTA #1 when NaNa snapped her 18 match winning streak in Sydney SF :sad:

at the AO she was again 2 matches away from SEWTA #1 but she lost her concentration and fell to Maria in the SF :sobbing:

she skipped the Middle East swing and now losing early in Indian Wells to McHale and Miami to Venus, #1 seems very far away with Vika padding her point total and Petra's title defense at Madrid coming :(

RenaSlam.
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Dumb thread. She has all the time in the world. Just turned 22, still needs to mature over the next year or so on all surfaces.

Mynarco
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I actually don't care what her ranking is atm, as long as she does not carry her shit form into clay+grass season...and she might be able to rebound in US HC season in August perhaps?

She still has a long way to go to revamp her HC game, she really needs to do it if she wants to achieve something more than she has atm

Mustafina
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think she can get it this year unless she tears up the US Open series but her results in North America for the past few weeks shows that it will be a tough task.

I do think she talented enough to eventually get it though.

The Daviator
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:48 PM
She has a long career ahead of her. She could get in the next 5 years, even after. No big deal.

pov
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Dumb thread. She has all the time in the world. Just turned 22, still needs to mature over the next year or so on all surfaces.
I'd guess the meaning was current window.

pov
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Does she have the game to be #1? Of course. But Kvitova is still plagued by her own going AWOL. She does this within matches, sometimes within in a set. And she still does for stretches of the tour. Physically she's there but she's not really present. She has to get it sorted to realize her full potential.

Kworb
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yes Petra Kvitova already pass her peak and will never be #1.

pov
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Yes Petra Kvitova already pass her peak and will never be #1.
:haha: Still it's amazing how almost any thread on TF gets taken way out of context.

ReboundAce
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:52 PM
she was 2 matches away from SEWTA #1 when NaNa snapped her 18 match winning streak in Sydney SF :sad:

at the AO she was again 2 matches away from SEWTA #1 but she lost her concentration and fell to Maria in the SF :sobbing:

she skipped the Middle East swing and now losing early in Indian Wells to McHale and Miami to Venus, #1 seems very far away with Vika padding her point total and Petra's title defense at Madrid coming :(

What about roland garros? u forget she had the misfortune to meet the chamion in fourth round, i am sure she will go deeper this year...

tennisbum79
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:58 PM
She has lot of time ahead of her.

But she has to fix her issues with US tournaments.
Djokovic did it, although I realize it is this is different, sport medicine has made so much progress lately, I am sure she can find something to minimize the factors asthma plays in her performances on US soil.

For this to succeed, it also requires full commitment and participation from her. I don't think she has come to that place yet.

pov
Mar 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM
She has lot of time ahead of her.

But she has to fix her issues with US tournaments.
Djokovic did it, although I realize it is this is different, sport medicine has made so much progress lately, I am sure she can find something to minimize the factors asthma plays in her performances on US soil.

For this to succeed, it also requires full commitment and participation from her. I don't think she has come to that place yet.
:yeah:

pov
Mar 24th, 2012, 05:08 PM
okay people . the OP means (I think):

Is Petra's Current Window For SEWTA #1 Closing ???
or
Is Petra's Window For SEWTA #1 this year Closing ???

Spring Pools
Mar 24th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Can she take it by Roland garros if she beasts on clay like she can? Clay gives her more time to get to the ball and set up and she can hit through people on clay even

Halepsova
Mar 24th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I don't think she's kinda player who hangs around top ten for so long. So my answer is yes.

C. Drone
Mar 24th, 2012, 10:58 PM
it shouldnt be her priority at this point anyway.

plokploky
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I've said this before, but I really don't care atm whether or not she is number 1. I just want her to win titles. Before her career is over I want and imagine she will be number at least once cause she'll hopefully gain a bit more consistency and not become pierce, but atm, i don't care.

StoneRose
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Yes it's closing and Petra will need to be far more consistent to open this window ever again.

duhcity
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Can she take it by Roland garros if she beasts on clay like she can? Clay gives her more time to get to the ball and set up and she can hit through people on clay even

Nope. Rome+Madrid offer fewer points than IW+Miami, and she's already defending Madrid.
If Vika puts up a win in Miami, I think she'll like the Year End Number one, assuming she doesn't completely drop off of course.

Petra, even with a strong clay/grass season would need a tremendous US Summer as well to catch up - and I don't see that happening.
Maria and Aga would have to find a way to lift their level the rest of the year to take Vika on, as well as each other, to chip at Vika's point total. At this point, I feel like a slam or at least multiple finals would need to happen to give either of them a chance, and I'd rate Petra's chances of winning a slam/hitting form and going deep above them.
And let's face it, Serena/Venus/Kim will be going deep in major tournaments and taking points, and there's no way any of them wlll be consistent or dedicated enough to take the number one spot.

And who's left to challenge Vika? That streak has said a lot, and has put her way ahead of the competition.

sweetadri06
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I think her opportunity has passed her this year. She was supposed to gain points during Doha/Dubai but didn't play and IW/Miami these tournaments give some major ranking results. Maybe she is waiting on clay/wimbledon but there aren't many more things to gain until the summer season for her. I don't agree that she has all that much time, the ages that players usually peak are right around the early/mid 20s. Vika is doing it right now and Petra's goal should be to peak around this time too, she won't get any faster as she ages. Fans should stop excusing her inconsistent results.JMO

Umberella
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:22 PM
LOL at everyone saying "she is only young and has a long career" etc. - where was this logic with Caro and her attempt to get a GS?

Utterchaos
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'd rather she become more consistent and the ranking will take care of itself

C. Drone
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I'd rather she become more consistent and the ranking will take care of itself

she is consistent... on losing in north-amerika.

StoneRose
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I think her opportunity has passed her this year. She was supposed to gain points during Doha/Dubai but didn't play and IW/Miami these tournaments give some major ranking results. Maybe she is waiting on clay/wimbledon but there aren't many more things to gain until the summer season for her. I don't agree that she has all that much time, the ages that players usually peak are right around the early/mid 20s. Vika is doing it right now and Petra's goal should be to peak around this time too, she won't get any faster as she ages. Fans should stop excusing her inconsistent results.JMOAgree with most of your post. But there seems to be a tendency at least for some some tennis players to peak a bit later nowadays.

guichard
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I think her opportunity has passed her this year. She was supposed to gain points during Doha/Dubai but didn't play and IW/Miami these tournaments give some major ranking results. Maybe she is waiting on clay/wimbledon but there aren't many more things to gain until the summer season for her. I don't agree that she has all that much time, the ages that players usually peak are right around the early/mid 20s. Vika is doing it right now and Petra's goal should be to peak around this time too, she won't get any faster as she ages. Fans should stop excusing her inconsistent results.JMO
agree, hard seeing her doing it this year(assuming Vika stays healthy)

laurie
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Forget the number 1 for now. But what Petra has to do is play a tournament as soon as possible, just to win a few matches and get some confidence, that has to be the immediate priority.

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:24 AM

She was actually 1 match away. If she had won 1 more game she would have been world number 1. In my opinion, if she had beaten nana, she would have stopped azarenka from going on the streak. Why? Cause she was playing better in sydney than azarenka. There fore azarenka would have lost. therefore petra would have had the confidence, not vika. Meaning that vika would not be going on this tear. She migfht have had a good win loss, like angie or masha but not like she is now

Charlatan
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:30 AM
well, i am sure she will bounce back during the clay season and grass season

Jimmie48
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Dumb thread. She has all the time in the world.

Weird how Caro at 21 is never going to win a slam though according to some people :rolleyes:

I've been saying it all the time since last fall, her game is too specialized to become #1. She peaks on the wrong surfaces, there simply aren't enough grass or indoor tournaments.

She's mediocre on HC and crap on US HC, unfortunately most of the important HC events are in the US. It's no matter of time, she needs to improve her game on HC or she'll never be #1. HC is the most important surface to get right and she simply isn't there.

laurie
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Weird how Caro at 21 is never going to win a slam though according to some people :rolleyes:

I've been saying it all the time since last fall, her game is too specialized to become #1. She peaks on the wrong surfaces, there simply aren't enough grass or indoor tournaments.

She's mediocre on HC and crap on US HC, unfortunately most of the important HC events are in the US. It's no matter of time, she needs to improve her game on HC or she'll never be #1. HC is the most important surface to get right and she simply isn't there.

You missed one important word at the very end of your nice statement - "yet".

missvarsha
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:42 AM

While (the unthinkable may happen) and Wozniaki may win a slam, people don't discount her chances because of her age, they do it because of her complete lack of weapons. Wozniaki is not a scrub by any means, but just the way she gets swatted aside by players like Sharapova, or the Williams, or Ludmilla, or even Granny St. Kim is not confidence inspiring.
Kvitova on the other hand has all the game in the world (KROTTT !), where she falls short is in the motivation/mental department. As Azarenka is so admirably demonstrating, it is more likely that a player with game gets their head together, rather than a determined player without any weapons at all.