PDA

View Full Version : $25,000 Bangalore Final: Donna Vekic df. (4)Andrea Koch-Benvenuto 6-2 6-4

BlueTrees
Mar 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Another 15 year old winning a $25,000 :wavey: Looks like Barty has some competition :p

chingching
Mar 24th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Well Done Donna, this is great for someone so young, but no offence to her, she whores her points. Bangalore, Nigeria and Nigeria again.
As proof that she is no where near that top league, she lost in straight sets first round australian open to unseeded player (i think)

BlueTrees
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I completely agree. :shrug: But still, it's impressive for a 15 year old to win their first challenger. :)

chingching
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Very True. That was highlighted in the first point Blue trees. :)

tennismaster8820
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Excellent week for Donna, such a great move to play here and gain some confidence! :yeah:

Donna doesn't care about juniors at all so she has different mindset when she plays there.

binky-GOAT
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Another 15 year old winning a $25,000 :wavey: Looks like Barty has some competition :p

Just so many talents around this age level :)

jj74
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Yes, 1996 seems to be a very good year

croat123
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:32 PM
donna :D
very close to the top300 now

FORZA SARITA
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Donna :cool:

simonsaystennis
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Nice! I love it when the young players do well!

Monzanator
Mar 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Vekic recently made the front page of Poland's most popular web site, but not because of her results, but because of the glamour shoot she did recently :lol:

cro123456
Mar 24th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Well Done Donna, this is great for someone so young, but no offence to her, she whores her points. Bangalore, Nigeria and Nigeria again.
As proof that she is no where near that top league, she lost in straight sets first round australian open to unseeded player (i think)

No offense buddy, but this statement is just ridiculous.

Why on earth would I, as a 15 years old teen, play 25k tournaments in the US only to get destroyed in the first or second round, considering that I could rather play a 25k with a weaker field and higher chances to succeed??

At this stage of her career it's fundamental to boost her confidence, win a few matches(or tournaments) here and there and establish yourself at the higher stages of the WTA list.
It's a lot easier to do so, playing events with weaker fields.
There's a reason why Ash Barthy is playing those events at her home soil, with beatable opponents.
I'm quite certain that you would do the same and "whore" those points Donna-style of you were an up and comer.

As for her Junior results, it was quite obvious since the beginning of 2011, that she isn't really interested in spending too much time on the Junior Tour.

There are quite a few juniors, who could certainly live up the expectations. (Barty, Vekic seem to be the most talented to me at the moment)
Both are making some very smart decisions in terms of chosen tournaments.

Nicolás89
Mar 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Journeywoman Andrea. :hug:

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 01:49 AM

Why on earth would I, as a 15 years old teen, play 25k tournaments in the US only to get destroyed in the first or second round, considering that I could rather play a 25k with a weaker field and higher chances to succeed??

At this stage of her career it's fundamental to boost her confidence, win a few matches(or tournaments) here and there and establish yourself at the higher stages of the WTA list.
There's a reason why Ash Barthy is playing those events at her home soil, with beatable opponents.
I'm quite certain that you would do the same and "whore" those points Donna-style of you were an up and comer.

As for her Junior results, it was quite obvious since the beginning of 2011, that she isn't really interested in spending too much time on the Junior Tour.

There are quite a few juniors, who could certainly live up the expectations. (Barty, Vekic seem to be the most talented to me at the moment)

True. But if she wants to make it to the top level, shes not going to be able to go and play 25ks in Nigeria. I am happy for them to do it at this age. But if they want to improve more quickly, they have to play harder tournaments. If they want to play easier tournaments, thats fine just do it at a higher level of tournam,net, like baku, where its not whoring anyomore. I know people who have played tournaments in Uzbekistan and South Africa who said that they were happy they were able to get good results there but they wished they tries harder tournamnents to improve thir games. Also, I wasnt saying that it was bad for her to play there, I just dont think you can compare her results to someone like Bartys or Khromacheva because they have played harder tournaments, even though their rankings are similar.
Look at Kontaveit and Townsend, both playing really hard tournam,nets, their transition onto teh WTA tournaments will be easier

hellas719
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:22 AM
True. But if she wants to make it to the top level, shes not going to be able to go and play 25ks in Nigeria. I am happy for them to do it at this age. But if they want to improve more quickly, they have to play harder tournaments. If they want to play easier tournaments, thats fine just do it at a higher level of tournam,net, like baku, where its not whoring anyomore. I know people who have played tournaments in Uzbekistan and South Africa who said that they were happy they were able to get good results there but they wished they tries harder tournamnents to improve thir games. Also, I wasnt saying that it was bad for her to play there, I just dont think you can compare her results to someone like Bartys or Khromacheva because they have played harder tournaments, even though their rankings are similar.
Look at Kontaveit and Townsend, both playing really hard tournam,nets, their transition onto teh WTA tournaments will be easier

I looked and she wasn't really playing huge tournaments either :shrug:

I think Keys and Pegula are better examples ;)

Tenis Srbija
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:38 AM

It's called gaining experiance! :rolleyes: But hey, Serena probably played Bangalore as well when she was 15. Oh wait, she didn't!

Anyhow congrats to Donna, nice result! Now go to Europe and show what you made of! :bounce:

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:39 AM
It's called gaining experiance! :rolleyes: But hey, Serena probably played Bangalore as well when she was 15. Oh wait, she didn't!

Anyhow congrats to Donna, nice result! Now go to Europe and show what you made of! :bounce:

My point exactly

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:41 AM
I looked and she wasn't really playing huge tournaments either :shrug:

I think Keys and Pegula are better examples ;)

of course its hellas 719 who says im wrong :rolleyes:
BTW, Chiasso is a pretty big tournament and Bath wasnt week, stronger than bangalore and auusie tournaments
You are right about Keys and Pegula though, I forgot about them. the americans do a really good job of getting their girls to cope with the wta earlier, unlike the eastern europeans where they collaps after juniors. For example, Sloane stephens didnt have amazing results ( only great results in doubles). she had really good results but no grand slams and she is the only player besides babos from that generation in top 200

Tenis Srbija
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:43 AM
My point exactly

Oy, do not steal my point!!! :mad: :lol:

It's the harsh reality. A bunch of talented player were whoring up pts in India, Nigeria and on similar weak tournaments...and what happened? They got "lost" when they tried to play same prize money tournaments but in Europe or US. It's bad for them...it's almost like creating some illusion that you are Top 300 after winning challengers in India, Algeria and Nigeria, when in fact a Top 600 player that plays US challengers would probably beat you, or get the best out of you.

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Oy, do not steal my point!!! :mad: :lol:

It's the harsh reality. A bunch of talented player were whoring up pts in India, Nigeria and on similar weak tournaments...and what happened? They got "lost" when they tried to play same prize money tournaments but in Europe or US. It's bad for them...it's almost like creating some illusion that you are Top 300 after winning challengers in India, Algeria and Nigeria, when in fact a Top 600 player that plays US challengers would probably beat you, or get the best out of you.

I diddnts stael your point. I said exactly what you said.
Juniors are known whorers because they have the money from their hopeful federations to go wherever they want

Tenis Srbija
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I diddnts stael your point. I said exactly what you said.
Juniors are known whorers because they have the money from their hopeful federations to go wherever they want

:lol: :lol: :lol: I WAS KIDDING!!! :D
That's true and a bad move :)

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:51 AM
:)

binky-GOAT
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:52 AM
What you guys are saying is stupid. They are young and can play wherever they want. If they suck on higher level it just means they are not good enough, not because they have been playing easy competition.

:facepalm:

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:55 AM
What you guys are saying is stupid. They are young and can play wherever they want. If they suck on higher level it just means they are not good enough, not because they have been playing easy competition.

I am happy for them to play at lower level its just that people cant then say that they deserve to be top 300 and that they are a force on the tour

Tenis Srbija
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:58 AM

Since you are smart go and check how many winners of Lagos, Bangalore and simillar tournaments made it to Top 100. It's not that hard...it will take like 30mins but if you find 10 players that managed that in the last 5 years I will say - OK, I'M STUUUPID!

binky-GOAT
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I am happy for them to play at lower level its just that people cant then say that they deserve to be top 300 and that they are a force on the tour

Ok sure their rankings can be inflated, but there is no difference between 200, 300 or 400. They only start getting relevant when they get inside top 200 or top 100.

In terms of development, it really makes no difference as long as they are playing.

binky-GOAT
Mar 25th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Since you are smart go and check how many winners of Lagos, Bangalore and simillar tournaments made it to Top 100. It's not that hard...it will take like 30mins but if you find 10 players that managed that in the last 5 years I will say - OK, I'M STUUUPID!

I really don't care, point is young players can play wherever they want.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 25th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I really don't care, point is young players can play wherever they want.

No one here is saying that they can't! Young, old, beautiful, ugly, one handed, three-eyed, they all can play wherever they want. We are talking about something totally different.

Fretchap
Mar 25th, 2012, 04:34 AM

I had some time on my hands... :lol: (But some, even most of them I'd say, had probably made the top 100 beforehand)

Galina Voskoboeva - 25K Casablanca (Morocco) 2011
Bojana Jovanovski - 25K Pune (India) 2010
Nina Bratchikova - 25K Lagos 2010
Renata Voracova - 25K Cairo (Egypt) 2010
Alexandra Cadantu - 10K Ain Elsokhna (Egypt) 2010
Laura Pous-Tio - 10K Ain Elsokhna-Suiz (Egypt) 2009
Irina Bremond - 10K Rabat (Morocco) 2009
Anastasiya Yakimova - 25K Phoenix (Mauritius) 2008
Anastasija Sevastova - 25K Noida (India) 2008
Chanelle Scheepers - 25K Lagos 2007
Mariya Koryttseva - 25K Jounieh (Lebanon) 2007

Still I agree with your point, players can play where they want, but if you want to choose between developping your confidence or your game, I think it's way better for a player to develop their game while they're young by facing some tougher opponents, in tougher challengers.

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 04:42 AM
I had some time on my hands... :lol: (But some, even most of them I'd say, had probably made the top 100 beforehand)

Still I agree with your point, players can play where they want, but if you want to choose between developping your confidence or your game, I think it's way better for a player to develop their game while they're young by facing some tougher opponents, in tougher challengers.

Thanks for finding the details :)
But even if you look at the players who played these tournaments, how many of them deserve to be top 100?
Koryttseva: SF Baku (or maybe QF)
Scheepers is a good pler
Sveastova is a good player
Yakimova is infamous for being wayyyyyyy to over ranked. she has no game. shes like a pusher who cant run
Is Bremond top 100!!!
Pous Tio whores points often (didnt she play south america)
Cadantu whores (south america)
Is vorocova top 100!!!! anyway, even if she was, she wasnt ever really great. and she whored in fes one year
Bratchikova got lucky at oz open
Voskoboeva is a good player
If you look at these players, maybe between 3 and 6 ever deserved to be top 100. i dont know, thats just my opinion

Steven.
Mar 25th, 2012, 04:48 AM
I need some teenage prodigal sensations in my life. Wonder when Vekic or Barty will start doing damage on the WTA tour.

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I need some teenage prodigal sensations in my life. Wonder when Vekic or Barty will start doing damage on the WTA tour.

Townsend, Khromacheva and Putintseva will do the damage first. I wouldnt be surprised if Khromacheva got Brussels wildcard (she is going to become belgian and has trained at Justines academy and the national academy for over 6 years now)

Steven.
Mar 25th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Townsend, Khromacheva and Putintseva will do the damage first. I wouldnt be surprised if Khromacheva got Brussels wildcard (she is going to become belgian and has trained at Justines academy and the national academy for over 6 years now)

eww Putintseva :facepalm: Khromacheva is a good talent though but I don't know how she's been doing. As for Townsend, she probably needs to lose quite a bit of weight.

I was actually looking forward to the pliskova twins but they've gotten nowhere since a couple years ago. All the promising teenagers have really just flopped so I have no hope for any of them to step up.

tennismaster8820
Mar 25th, 2012, 07:33 AM
of course its hellas 719 who says im wrong :rolleyes:
BTW, Chiasso is a pretty big tournament and Bath wasnt week, stronger than bangalore and auusie tournaments
You are right about Keys and Pegula though, I forgot about them. the americans do a really good job of getting their girls to cope with the wta earlier, unlike the eastern europeans where they collaps after juniors. For example, Sloane stephens didnt have amazing results ( only great results in doubles). she had really good results but no grand slams and she is the only player besides babos from that generation in top 200

It's so wrong to compare Vekic or any other player who comes from smaller countries with young Americans who get so many WCs that it's almost impossible for them to not make it if they have even bit of talent.
Even Barty gets WCs into Australian big events at the start of year which is valuable experience.

In my opinion Donna and her team are doing what is right.
Carefully choosing and preparing for weaker tournaments so she can get used to winning, not losing confidance.
There will be enough time for stronger challenges, she is only 15 years old.
Most players play most matches in that age in juniors anyway and she is done with that.

tennismaster8820
Mar 25th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Also nobody is saying she will be the next best thing,
It's only promising start of career so far.
Nobody knows what will happen with her in the future for sure, same goes for Barty, Kromacheva and any other young talent who didn't yet break through.

Sasja
Mar 25th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Congrats Donna :yeah:

Personally I would say whoring up points would be a top seed player in tournaments that’s beneath her level/ranking.

Yes, Donna played Lagos 2x and Bangalore. But in all three tournaments she was unseeded.
So it’s not like it was obvious she would do well.

Would she had more competition in European/North American challengers? Ofcourse. Maybe she would not have made the MD there.

But at this point in her career, being only 15 y.o., I think it’s a good decision. She got to play a lot of matches, gain experience. She improved her ranking so it will be easier for her to get into other tournaments.

Her career has just started, so it will be interesting to see how she will do.
Always nice to see the youngsters doing well :cheer:

:rocker2:

Sille
Mar 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
There should be no WTA rankings whatsoever. Let Chingching decide who deserves to be top 100 and who not! As we can see from his signature, he's very reliable.

I like Donna because it's short of Madonna. I love Madonna.:)

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 09:20 AM
eww Putintseva :facepalm: Khromacheva is a good talent though but I don't know how she's been doing. As for Townsend, she probably needs to lose quite a bit of weight.

I was actually looking forward to the pliskova twins but they've gotten nowhere since a couple years ago. All the promising teenagers have really just flopped so I have no hope for any of them to step up.

Karolina and Kristyna both made round 2 kl and karolina led radwanska by a duble break in the first set
kristyna choked vs shuai peng

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 09:25 AM
There should be no WTA rankings whatsoever. Let Chingching decide who deserves to be top 100 and who not! As we can see from his signature, he's very reliable.

I like Donna because it's short of Madonna. I love Madonna.:)

rock on!!!!!
BTW, I am not saying you guys are wrong. i just dont think that its the right thing to do. And I think that anyone here could do a better job with the rankings than the WTA. They need to stop putting good tournaments in holes (Lagos, Karshi, Namangen, Tashkent, Astana, Baku etc.) Its not fair that some people have the money to go and win these stupid tournaments when opthers are less fortunate. If they want to put tournaments in those places, thats fine. Just make them 10ks.
Also with my signature, you can hardly single me out. Ive seen people saying that timea Babos would have been No. 1 in the world in 2011 Seniors. Seriously, think of a better insult :rolleyes:

Sasja, you make a good point but still, this tournament was not below her level even if she wasnt seeded. It was obvious anett was whoring (or just desperately wanted to play at home) when she played Tallinn 10k this year but she wasnt seeded. In fact she was like the 18th acceptance at 650 or something

Sille
Mar 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Yes, the ITF should prohibit organizing tournaments above the Futures level in the countries where they actually bother organizing such tournaments. The ITF should also adress all 15y kids to play only in Europe or USA, because otherwise they will suck at tennis when they turn 18. I think Ivanovic, Sharapova and Wickmayetr all WHORED UP tournaments in Asia when they were trying to break through and just see how badly it turned out for them!:rolleyes:

There's no perfect way from juniors to seniors and you should stop pretending that you know better than the team that thse players work with.

tennismaster8820
Mar 25th, 2012, 09:42 AM
rock on!!!!!
BTW, I am not saying you guys are wrong. i just dont think that its the right thing to do. And I think that anyone here could do a better job with the rankings than the WTA. They need to stop putting good tournaments in holes (Lagos, Karshi, Namangen, Tashkent, Astana, Baku etc.) Its not fair that some people have the money to go and win these stupid tournaments when opthers are less fortunate. If they want to put tournaments in those places, thats fine. Just make them 10ks.

Why would all these places be punished bc they are not in countries which have many tennis players or far away from those?
Players from these countries deserve some chances too and they get it with WCs.
Also these tournaments present great opportunity for upcoming young players.
Prize money from 10Ks is almost nothing, so yeah higher level tournaments are needed in such places too if tennis wants to expand. ;)
Just my opinion. :p

Tenis Srbija
Mar 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM

I was talking about 25k's, not futures...
Galina was like living in Egypt, so that doesn't count :p and 25k's in TUN and MOR are way better then the one in Lagos or Bangalore ;)

kuroishijin
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM

This logic does not work in real world. There are tons of girls that tried to go up quickly and "develop" their game and at the end never established themselves on upper world class level. Another thing is that toughness is suppose to come from inside, you can not learn this from other players, either you get it or not, so it is about instincts and attempt to unlock them. So far Donna is doing excellent job, it is far from clear would she really succeed but it is obvious that hear team is taking some very good strategic decisions ie. not to bother with juniors and building her confidence. I mean for someone young and ambitious like Donna even stronger ITF fields should be taken as just short stop on way up and even if she would prove on them it should not be really satisfactory and to try to "develop" game for them would be just wrong.

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I was talking about 25k's, not futures...
Galina was like living in Egypt, so that doesn't count :p and 25k's in TUN and MOR are way better then the one in Lagos or Bangalore ;)

Its true about Northern africa.
http://beta.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100026337
This weeks La Marsa field (tunisia) is quite decently strong

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, the ITF should prohibit organizing tournaments above the Futures level in the countries where they actually bother organizing such tournaments. The ITF should also adress all 15y kids to play only in Europe or USA, because otherwise they will suck at tennis when they turn 18. I think Ivanovic, Sharapova and Wickmayetr all WHORED UP tournaments in Asia when they were trying to break through and just see how badly it turned out for them!:rolleyes:

There's no perfect way from juniors to seniors and you should stop pretending that you know better than the team that thse players work with.

youre quite sinicle for a beginner :eek:

chingching
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Why would all these places be punished bc they are not in countries which have many tennis players or far away from those?
Players from these countries deserve some chances too and they get it with WCs.
Also these tournaments present great opportunity for upcoming young players.
Prize money from 10Ks is almost nothing, so yeah higher level tournaments are needed in such places too if tennis wants to expand. ;)
Just my opinion. :p

Okay thats legitimate but then they should have less ranking points depending on region. All the tournaments for each ranking point level (not necessary prize money level) should be the same, like on WTA (well mainly except for places like Baku and tashkent where you might get killed)
May be they should do it like the mens ATP. For example, a 250 in Qatar had over 1 million dollars prize money whereas sydney and brisbane, also 250s had approx 460,000 dollars

its just not fare in terms of touraments that people can buy points

Sille
Mar 25th, 2012, 11:49 AM
youre quite sinicle for a beginner :eek:

What does "sinicle" mean?

I may be beginner here, but have some experience from similar tennis forums.:lol:

Chilenaitor
Mar 25th, 2012, 04:46 PM
koch :(

Tenis Srbija
Mar 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Okay thats legitimate but then they should have less ranking points depending on region. All the tournaments for each ranking point level (not necessary prize money level) should be the same, like on WTA (well mainly except for places like Baku and tashkent where you might get killed)
May be they should do it like the mens ATP. For example, a 250 in Qatar had over 1 million dollars prize money whereas sydney and brisbane, also 250s had approx 460,000 dollars

its just not fare in terms of touraments that people can buy points

:rolleyes:

Its true about Northern africa.
http://beta.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100026337
This weeks La Marsa field (tunisia) is quite decently strong

And last week as well... ;)

Tenis Srbija
Mar 25th, 2012, 05:54 PM

She played two 50k's in Japan...she defeated there atm No 43 in the world. Yup, Japan and India are a part of Asia, but Bangalore and Gifu challengers aren't a part of the same universe! ;) And Ana played like three or four challengers in Asia, 10th tournament in her carrer was a WTA in Luxembourg. So much about that ;)
P.S. She was never in India or Nigeria playing challenger tournaments ;) But I guess Sharapova was in Bangalore :lol:

Deathless Mortal
Mar 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Well done Donna :yeah:

Qalahari
Mar 25th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Congrats Donna :)

DevilishAttitude
Mar 25th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Apparently she's being coached by David Felgate, he said it on Eurosport (Former coach of Henman and Vaidisova).

PrimaDonna
Mar 25th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Apparently she's being coached by David Fleming, he said it on Eurosport (Former coach of Henman and Vaidisova).

You mean David Felgate, it's true. She often trains in London as well.

chingching
Mar 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM
What does "sinicle" mean?

I may be beginner here, but have some experience from similar tennis forums.:lol:

the proper splelling is cynical, but I couldnt be bothered to spell properly am i ever :haha:)
this is the definition:
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=sea&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&q=cynical&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=1UxwT-LXGI3umAXq5IiZBg&ved=0CCgQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=7643ed04f3ed91dd&ix=sea&ion=1&biw=1280&bih=677