PDA

View Full Version : Heyday of Canadian ladies tennis?

carretta
Mar 21st, 2012, 07:50 PM
Here's a question for the long term fans of Canadian ladies tennis - what period of time had the greatest success for Canadian ladies? I'm thinking of perhaps more than a single player in the Top 50 at once.
I've been following ladies tennis for the last several years and I was excited about the prospect of having Wozniak and Marino in the Top 50 at the same time. I think they both have the game to be Top 50 (at least before Marino's recent difficulties...)

Was there any overlap between Kelesi and Hy-Boulais? I think Kelesi's success predated Hy-Boulais. And Bassett predated Kelesi. Nejedly and Jeyaseelan had some success (Top 50...I think) but I don't know if this was at the same time.

How about a list of Top 50 ladies?
Bassett, Kelesi, Hy-Boulais, Wozniak and Marino are definites
Nejedly, Drake, Jeyaseelan - I think they each just broke Top50...any one else?

Any thoughts?

Sportgal1
Mar 22nd, 2012, 01:50 AM
I don't go back far enough to remember Kelesi and Hy-Boulais playing, but we do have a thread for all the Canadians we can think of that broke the top 100 here (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=185536). If we missed anyone, feel free to point it out. This is a pretty nice period of women's tennis though, we had three in the top 100 for a while, which is pretty impressive.