PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton (NFL) - Biggest fine ever in sports?

pov
Mar 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM
The NFL commissioner issued a harsh one-year suspension to New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton for his role in the team's bounty system that rewarded defensive players for laying injurious hits on opposing players.

Payton won't earn any of his reported $6 million salary during the ban, which begins April 1.
So basically that's a $6 million fine!!! Have there been higher fines than that in any sport?

pokey camp
Mar 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hmmm... it's possible Artest or Spewell made more per year so their fines would've been bigger, but I'm not looking it up. :p

Super Dave
Mar 21st, 2012, 06:35 PM
Wow...I didn't expect that. I mean, it's good; you can't have that crap, and I don't like Payton anyway. I've heard many other teams had this going on...how far will these punishments go? :confused:

pov
Mar 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hmmm... it's possible Artest or Spewell made more per year so their fines would've been bigger, but I'm not looking it up. :p

-Artest will lose approximately $5 million in salary,

the Warriors voided the remainder of his contract, which included $23.7 million over three years, and the NBA suspended him for one year. Sprewell took the case to arbitration, and, as a result, the contract voiding was overturned and the league suspension was reduced to the remaining 68 games of the season.

So those two don't beat it.

NyCPsU
Mar 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
This is good. People are saying its unjust to Payton, that hes getting thrown in with the real criminals, but lets not forget about how he lied about it in the beginning. That makes him just as bad as just as responsible when it comes down to it. Totally just.

In other football related new Tebow is a Jet. I curse the day I decided to root for this idiot led team. :rolleyes:

pov
Mar 21st, 2012, 06:43 PM
This is good. People are saying its unjust to Payton, that hes getting thrown in with the real criminals, but lets not forget about how he lied about it in the beginning. That makes him just as bad as just as responsible when it comes down to it. Totally just.

Yeah but . . . do you know of bigger fines in any sports? BTW - no matter what the issue equating lying about something it with doing the something is not just.

watchdogfish
Mar 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM
The McLaren Formula 1 team got fined $100 million back in 2007 for being found in possession of rival Ferrari's technical data.

pov
Mar 21st, 2012, 06:50 PM
The McLaren Formula 1 team got fined $100 million back in 2007 for being found in possession of rival Ferrari's technical data.
Thanks. But that's a whole team. In this case the team got fined $500,000.

hankqq
Mar 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM
I'm fine with it :shrug: Obviously they want to set an example. As dave said though, I'm sure other teams are guilty too and should also be investigated.

@ NyCPsU I wonder how popular Tebow will be with Jets fans :lol: :unsure:

pov
Mar 21st, 2012, 08:40 PM
I don't get why most aren't dealing with the point of the thread:- is this the biggest (single person) fine ever in sports?

*JR*
Mar 21st, 2012, 11:09 PM
While Vick's wasn't a fine, he'd just signed a 10 year $130M deal with the Falcons when he err, "was sent to the doghouse" :help: for 2 years, so that's $26M. Add that he made under $7M total for his first 2 years in Philly, losing another $19M, so that's like $45M less ova those 4 years; not counting lost endorsement income.

I'm not sure what Plax was making with the G-Men when he played "Quick Draw McGraw" :armed: and lost 2 1/4 seasons, or what Doni's favorite alleged rapist QB was when he got that "6 game suspension reduced to 4". :tape: Both surely lost some sponsorship loot too. (Ask Darrin, he does their tax returns). ;)

================================================== ========================================

NyCPsU
Mar 21st, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'm fine with it :shrug: Obviously they want to set an example. As dave said though, I'm sure other teams are guilty too and should also be investigated.

@ NyCPsU I wonder how popular Tebow will be with Jets fans :lol: :unsure:

Judging by my facebook its like a 10:1 ratio of people extremely pissed off to people who are in favor of it.

Melange
Mar 22nd, 2012, 03:26 AM

In other football related new Tebow is a Jet. I curse the day I decided to root for this idiot led team. :rolleyes:

:hysteric: he is an improvement on sanchez

Melange
Mar 22nd, 2012, 03:41 AM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd426/shk_dave/smiththebountyhunter.png

darrinbaker00
Mar 22nd, 2012, 05:13 AM
I don't get why most aren't dealing with the point of the thread:- is this the biggest (single person) fine ever in sports?

Because that's something you could look up on your own, that's why.

*JR*
Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
April 2, 2012 1:43 PM

Ex-NFL QB Leaf cuffed again for burglary, drugs

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/04/02/Ryan_Leaf_AP120331142295_620x350.jpg

In this booking photo released by the Cascade County (Mont.) Sherrif's Office. Police Dept., former NFL player Ryan Leaf is shown. Leaf was arrested Friday, March 30, 2012, in his hometown of Great Falls, Mont., on burglary and drug possession charges, police said. (AP Photo/Cascade County Sherrif's Office)

(AP) HELENA, Mont. - Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf was arrested again on Monday and is accused of committing another burglary two days after he posted bail on charges that he broke into a friend's home and stole prescription painkillers, a drug task force commander said.

Leaf has been jailed in the Cascade County Detention Center and is facing new charges of burglary, theft and two counts of criminal possession of dangerous drugs. He also is being detained on a probation violation. "It's based on a burglary that happened yesterday afternoon after he bailed out," Central Montana Drug Task Force Commander Chris Hickman said Monday.

Full article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57408160/ex-nfl-qb-leaf-cuffed-again-for-burglary-drugs

And he was one of the "big 2" draft picks in 1997, along with Peyton Manning. :o

Dominic
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:36 AM
Judging by my facebook its like a 10:1 ratio of people extremely pissed off to people who are in favor of it.

Why would anyone be pissed off? What he did was disgusting and criminal.

Ryan
Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:13 AM
My problem is that the NFL isn't looking to the OTHER bounty programs - we know there are others. The real issue is that Payton LIED to Goodell, which his ego can't stand. Im a huge Saints fan, disappointed in this, think they deserve punishment, but I hope Payton gets his appeal.

*JR*
Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
A Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader and former teacher continues to maintain her innocence in the sexual abuse case involving one of her former students. (What abuse, I'd hit it, and I'll bet Brett Favre would too) :p

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_296w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/early-lead/StandingArt/ben-gals.jpg

Sarah Jones pled not guilty to sexual abuse charges. (David Stluka - AP)

Sarah Jones, the captain of the Ben-Gals cheerleading squad, was indicted last week on claims that she had sex with a 16-year-old high school football player four or five times and exchanged numerous text messages with the student, as first reported by the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Jones, who resigned from her job as an English teacher at Dixie Heights High in Kentucky in November, faces charges of first-degree sexual abuse and unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual or other prohibited acts. Her mother, Cheryl Jones, the principal at nearby Twenhofel Middle School, was also indicted on a charge tampering with evidence.

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/bengals-cheerleader-former-teacher-sarah-jones-pleads-not-guilty-to-sexually-abusing-student/2012/04/02/gIQAy6yHrS_blog.html

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
A Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader and former teacher continues to maintain her innocence in the sexual abuse case involving one of her former students. (What abuse, I'd hit it, and I'll bet Brett Favre would too) :p

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_296w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/early-lead/StandingArt/ben-gals.jpg

Sarah Jones pled not guilty to sexual abuse charges. (David Stluka - AP)

Sarah Jones, the captain of the Ben-Gals cheerleading squad, was indicted last week on claims that she had sex with a 16-year-old high school football player four or five times and exchanged numerous text messages with the student, as first reported by the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Jones, who resigned from her job as an English teacher at Dixie Heights High in Kentucky in November, faces charges of first-degree sexual abuse and unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual or other prohibited acts. Her mother, Cheryl Jones, the principal at nearby Twenhofel Middle School, was also indicted on a charge tampering with evidence.

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/bengals-cheerleader-former-teacher-sarah-jones-pleads-not-guilty-to-sexually-abusing-student/2012/04/02/gIQAy6yHrS_blog.html

Even if Ms. Jones is innocent of this charge, she should be thrown in jail for hiring a lawyer who's currently serving a suspension for ethics violations. I'm sorry, Mr. Deters, but there's not a 16-year-old boy in this country who would deny having sex with an NFL cheerleader. :facepalm:

*JR*
May 10th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cris Carter vs. Bill Romanowski on their "private Bounty Bowl". :help:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/cris-carter-bill-romanowski-square-off-over-nfl-bounties/2012/05/09/gIQAnpZcDU_blog.html

Of course (this) Romo was a dirty player who did try to hurt opponents, and probably wouldn't have minded even ending one's career.

SloKid
May 11th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Technically Payton's punishment is not a fine, it's not like he has to pay those 6m to someone, he just won't be getting paid.

Archer16
May 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM
So how many years will it take the Nawleans Sinners to recover from Bountygate, and will Sean Payton be like one losing season away from being fired?
(PM quoted with permission)
Leans' story is sad... I don't claim to be objective cause I like them but they have been scapegoats all along here. As if their D was ever that scary to begin with :lol:
Seriously, did anyone make a stat of the amounts of serious injuries or weeks out caused by each team? I'd be shocked to find that infamous bounty program in the top 5.

As for Payton, no, it will take a bunch of lackluster seasons to get him out, like Shanahan or Fisher had before ending their tenures in Denver and Tennessee respectively.

Sean.
May 24th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Chelsea paid a £60m fine for Torres. :shrug:

duhcity
May 25th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Payton is a New Orleans hero, he won't be going anywhere soon.

And I always felt that the suspensions and fines were the result of a bounty program that encouraged injuring other players, and encouraged breaking league regulations on contact. It wasn't enough to just make the play, the incentive was to get them off the field, possibly for multiple weeks and months.

*JR*
May 25th, 2012, 12:42 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1023102/3/index.htm

FOOTBALL

Placekickers shouldn't be touched. Although he becomes a defender—and therefore fair game—once he boots a kick-off, the kicker is considered off-limits when he's not part of the action. That didn't stop Oilers coach Jerry Glanville from sending linebacker Walter Johnson to hit Saints kicker Morten Andersen after the opening kickoff in a 1987 game. Glanville claimed he wanted to get Andersen's attention. "He missed two kicks," Glanville said with a shrug, "so I guess it worked."

(I always disliked Jerry Glanville, a classless SOB) :spit:

Melange
May 25th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Chelsea paid a £60m fine for Torres. :shrug:

£50m stolen from the Russian ppl