PDA

View Full Version : China builds a 30 story hotel in 2 weeks

HippityHop
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I don't know if I'd want to stay there. :eek:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-china-instant-building-20120308,0,5608518.story

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Oh God:facepalm: So last time when I was on a business to that city that building hasn't even started yet and now it's done?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Mynarco
Mar 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Let's hope there won't be any trouble :unsure:

Sammo
Mar 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Watch it go down in 1.

Super Dave
Mar 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
http://askthebuilder.com/artman212/uploads/1/Collapse/ATT880808.jpg

pov
Mar 8th, 2012, 04:30 PM
It could be the shoddy job that many here think or a breakthrough. Also, it wasn't built in 2 weeks. Everything was prefabricated - "13-by-50-foot slabs containing ventilation shafts, water pipes, electric wiring and lighting fixtures sandwiched between ready-made floors and ceilings" - and then it was assembled in 2 weeks.

TheHangover
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:26 PM
china is getting scary

donellcarey
Mar 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
china is getting scary

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0e4rxGlWw1rolgzao1_400.gif

VeeJJ
Mar 10th, 2012, 02:08 AM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0e4rxGlWw1rolgzao1_400.gif
This is fantastic.

Novichok
Mar 10th, 2012, 03:16 AM
:unsure:

tennisbum79
Mar 10th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Let's see.

Do they have building code?
Are the workers allowed to sleep at least 8-hours a day?

bulava
Mar 10th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Let's see.

Do they have building code?
Are the workers allowed to sleep at least 8-hours a day?
Eh? I didn't expect such a comment from you.
For the record, Chinese are wiping off every possible construction record (most of them used to be held by Japanese). I've seen myself the gigantic the Three Gorges Dam, truly an Engineering marvel like the one in the United States: Hoover Dam on Colorado River.

tennisbum79
Mar 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Eh? I didn't expect such a comment from you.
For the record, Chinese are wiping off every possible construction record (most of them used to be held by Japanese). I've seen myself the gigantic the Three Gorges Dam, truly an Engineering marvel like the one in the United States: Hoover Dam on Colorado River.
The issue here is not how many or how big they build them.
The concern is, having completed a building of this magnitude in such a short time, are these building up to safety standards?

Most of the building boom in China has been taking the last few years, it is too early to gauge the soundness of the building structure.
By you the quote in your signature, I can see why you admire Chinese way of doing things.
However, you must know Chinese way of doing things has not always turned out good products and not beneficial to those doing the work.

Direwolf
Mar 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I don't know if I'd want to stay there. :eek:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-china-instant-building-20120308,0,5608518.story

Amazing technology this China has.
:worship::worship::worship:

antonella
Mar 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM
It's amazing what you can accomplish without labor unions, environmentalists and stringent building codes.

gentenaire
Mar 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
The concern is, having completed a building of this magnitude in such a short time, are these building up to safety standards?

I think if a fire was to start in this hotel and it reaches the steel structure, the building could collapse. There's a good reason why skyscrapers have a concrete core.

bulava
Mar 10th, 2012, 07:35 PM
The issue here is not how many or how big they build them.
What makes you to think that China doesn't practice Building Code and/or Safety Standards? :) I mean, we in India do, so does the US. Still, unfortunate accidents/failures do happen like this one on the Mississippi River:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/08/23/minnesota.bridge.settlement/t1larg.bridge.collapse.afp.gi.jpg

If I remember correctly, there was some problem with the design itself. I'm no Civil Engineer so I can't say more in detail. Point is, accidents/failures can happen anywhere :)

Most of the building boom in China has been taking the last few years, it is too early to gauge the soundness of the building structure.
Agreed. There is a good possibility that greedy companies could compromise on quality of construction. Honestly, I really doubt such a case in China (very big projects only, NOT all). I mean, I saw Taipei 101, Petronas Towers and a few more in Asia (take it as national prestige). If they could stand tall in Asia then why not in China? :confused: BTW, there is building boom (which got busted & we lost billions of dollars!) in the UAE too. How about their quality? :)

By you the quote in your signature, I can see why you admire Chinese way of doing things.
Signature has a flashback, shall share it when it's appropriate. I admire anything simple, unique, big, small, large and so on. Fact is, I don't lock myself towards West or East. Again, this is from another legendary Russian which you may not be very pleased to hear :p

"There are no nations! There is only humanity." ~ Issac Asimov

Read that quote in my school days, and there was Star Trek series. As time passed, my thoughts transformed into a solid dream:

ONE Planet and ONE People.

However, you must know Chinese way of doing things has not always turned out good products and not beneficial to those doing the work.
True and False :)

Expat
Mar 11th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Like the newly industrializing USA in the 19th century had sacrificed a lot of people while building its railroads ( including a lot of Chinese workers) modern day China is also a newly industrializing economy which is following 19th century America rules when it was slowly displacing England. Its the same roadmap that Britain and the USA followed when they were industrializing. Why begrudge China when its doing the same thing?

WowWow
Mar 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM
What makes you to think that China doesn't practice Building Code and/or Safety Standards? :)

They do practice building codes, it's just that there aren't that many and they're not very strict by today's standards.

HippityHop
Mar 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Like the newly industrializing USA in the 19th century had sacrificed a lot of people while building its railroads ( including a lot of Chinese workers) modern day China is also a newly industrializing economy which is following 19th century America rules when it was slowly displacing England. Its the same roadmap that Britain and the USA followed when they were industrializing. Why begrudge China when its doing the same thing?

First of all nobody is begrudging (at least I'm not) China for using shabby building methods if they are indeed doing that.

Second, it's a bit silly to compare 19th century technology with 21st century technology. We've learned a lot since the 19th century about how to build more safely. And it's not as if the Chinese don't have access to current technology. They steal other technology so I don't see why this should be any different.

Again putting up that building may be perfectly safe. If so, more power.

Novichok
Mar 11th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Because this isn't the 19th century and just because the USA did it doesn't make it right. :lol:

Expat
Mar 12th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Because this isn't the 19th century and just because the USA did it doesn't make it right. :lol:

This is the path every country takes. Only when a country becomes developed does it care about workers rights and safety. Just like the West didn't get there magically China will also have to go through its "growing pains".

tennisbum79
Mar 12th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I mean, I saw Taipei 101, Petronas Towers and a few more in Asia (take it as national prestige). If they could stand tall in Asia then why not in China? :confused: BTW, there is building boom (which got busted & we lost billions of dollars!) in the UAE too. How about their quality? :)

I am sorry, China is NOT Asia. And this was about Asia, it is about China.
China have a large economy, but Taiwan is already a fully capitalist society with institutions and regulations to police and enforce standards where warranted.
I don't think China is there yet. And BTW, Russian isn't either.

China's recent record is not good when it comes to enforcing safety.

An American ( yes American again), -I believe his name is James Farlowe - who have lived both in Japan and China, put it in very simple rudimentary terms.

Japanese tend to do the right thing when no one is looking, Chinese on the other hand, will curb the rules

tennisbum79
Mar 12th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by Expat http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=21080196#post21080196)

Exactly!!
China is not condemned to go through the same evolution, traveling the same path, that the fully industrialized countries of today have traveled.

For example, it would not be good to use child labor in this century, make employee work in deplorable conditions in the same of productivity and profits, working long hours, more than the worker body can sustain.

HippityHop
Mar 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Expat http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=21080196#post21080196)

Exactly!!
China is not condemned to go through the same evolution, traveling the same path, that the fully industrialized countries of today have traveled.

For example, it would not be good to use child labor in this century, make employee work in deplorable conditions in the same of productivity and profits, working long hours, more than the worker body can sustain.

Unless of course you are Apple providing the latest gizmos to the same people in the US who complain about Walmart but nary a word about Apple's exploitation of Chinese workers. :tape:

$uricate
Mar 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Im sure the same amount of man-hours went into its construction as a regular 30 storey structure :shrug:

They probably had a greater number of workers over a shorter time and teams working around the clock. Also, as was pointed out, a lot of the components were prefabricated and then assembled on-site.

Apoleb
Mar 12th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Love all the genuis engineers in this thread.

In the meantime, China. :worship: Your fave could neva.