PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking through Europe alone?

Sp!ffy
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Is it safe for an 18 year old? Is it fun? Where are the best places to be at for someone who's not so much looking for touristy places but for..real places? Any advice in general?

I want to meet a lot of people and I think it'd be quite an experience to have before college. I've always had an incredible angst to get away from everyone for a while and I pretty much have the liberty to do whatever I want once I graduate in a few months. I could go with someone else or a small group or whatever but the idea of going alone sounds much more exhilarating.

I know there's a plethora of information online but I want to hear from posters I can ..somewhat.. trust. Thanks!

Keegan
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Normally you'll be okay. If you follow normal social guidelines and look up the places on Wikitravel, they should help you along the way. Besides, it's really quite normal to find people who want to go to the same places as you. You can make friends for life that way!

Sam L
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Which countries? Do you know any languages aside from English?

azdaja
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM
europe is largely safe and i've met young people who were travelling alone many times. i travel alone frequently and i've met plenty of people in this way and i thought you meet more interesting people in less obvious places, so you already have the right idea.

Lord Choc Ice
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM
http://img.over-blog.com/625x927/4/10/74/60/Roth/Hostel-2.jpg

Just kidding :lol:.

Michael*
Mar 8th, 2012, 09:36 AM
It depends how much foreign you know. Its a good idea if you know a little foreign, and you know when people say the locals appreciate when you have go? Yeah...they really don't.

If you're looking for countries not so touristy infected, Helsinki is great, but quite far away, same thing with other Scandinavian countries. And you'd want to go around June/July. You can go to bigger countries but not visit the big cities as much also. Another good one would be Bratislava, there are a lot of great little citites that not many people know about either like Lviv in the Ukraine and Bruges in Belgium, in fact Belgium as a whole is quite underrated. Luxembourg is quite nice and not a huge tourist hot spot

The Witch-king
Mar 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM
backpack through the central african republic or the north east DRC

Steven.
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM
omg :worship: I wanna backpack europe and america some day too but prolly after I graduate uni.

Anyways, I haven't actually backpacked but I hope what I have to offer is useful. Not necessarily about places to visit, but extended travelling in general.

1) Thoroughly, very thoroughly, forumlate a plan for safety measures and make sure people know where you are at all times because shit happens you know? Try not to stray too far from your plans unless you're partner is with you. Also be sure you are prepared for anything that may happen too (wild animals, getting lost, injured and so on), be sure your first-aid knowledge is up to date etc. If I were you I'd go with maybe one other person who has the passion to travel and visit new places and venture into the unknown and spontenous to make it not only fun but safer too?

2) Make sure you have essentials (water, food, clothes, money, place to stay) at all times and make sure you have enough/more than enough. Fuck the weight you'll be carrying on your back, your survival is more important.

2) Research on places to go. It's important to make your experience the best it is and to explore as much as you can so do research thoroughly on places to visit - people seem to forget about places that isn't iconic etc. when it comes to travelling. Don't forget about nature/sceneries, historic locations (like visiting former death camps in germany that are open) extreme/active activities and even things like shopping, museum, theatres etc.

3) Do extensive research on areas you're going to be in. Be sure it's a good time to visit the area. Be ready for extreme climates. Have a map with you incase you're lost. Try to learn the basics of their native language if you can cause it'll make things easier.

idk i'll add some more to the thread if I can think of them but this is all that's popping in my head atm...

C. Drone
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:16 AM
if you have a small brain at least, you should be alright.
Most important is keep your money & ID safe and know most important words.

dont bring too much things, you can buy food, clothes and phone charger in Europe too. :oh:

Stamp Paid
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:35 AM
This is a life dream of mine. I haven't done it yet, but I will one year. Are you gonna for real backpack it, where you actually carry all of your possessions in your backpack/live in trains and hostels? Or are you gonna be basically vacationing in Europe? :lol:
I have travelled through Europe before, and I would say just stick to 2 or 3 countries that really interest you, and dont try to hit every single European capital. After a while, it all starts to become a blur and all the towns start to look the same. :lol:
Get a Eurail pass, and I'm sure you'll meet cool people at hostels. Try not to clique up with other backpacking Americans though, try to meet diverse people.

McPie
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Just do it ;)

Mistress of Evil
Mar 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I would never go on such a venture by myself; will get lost within the first 5 minutes. :crying2: Good Luck!

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM
It's also my dream too.:hearts: but my financial doesn't allow me to do that for now.:awww: Plus I'm unsure whether I'm that brave to travel alone.:oh:

HippityHop
Mar 8th, 2012, 01:29 PM
http://img.over-blog.com/625x927/4/10/74/60/Roth/Hostel-2.jpg

Just kidding :lol:.

You beat me to it. :lol:

Rerun
Mar 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Naples/Capri, Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris, Marseille, London, Prague, Krakow, Wien and Berlin would be my choices
I know Naples/Capri and Prague by heart if u need advices

AdeyC
Mar 8th, 2012, 01:47 PM
You beat me to it. :lol:

I was going to say that too - or The Human Centipede :)

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I did, a couple of years ago, not exactly "backpack" cuz my home base was Spain, but I did travel all by myself(except for Portugal, I went with friends) and I had a one-month non-stop trip (though for most backpackers is a short time lol).

I've been to France, Italy, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and most parts of Spain all by myself, and it turned out to be fine.

As long as you find a nice youth hostel, it's gonna be fine. hostelworld.com is a good place to find hostels, it's all about the location, cleanliness and security. You'll get to know all kinds of ppl, most of the time nice ones, but there are chances to get to know some bitches (few, though). So, it's gonna be fun, trust me.

And about society situation in Europe, in comparison of other countries, quite stable. But still you need to watch out for thieves (I've been stolen in Barcelona twice, though they didn't steal anything away cuz there's only a bottle of water and a pack of hankerchief :lol:) and try to go out with accompany at night.

All in all, it's gonna be fun.

melodynelson
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Couchsurfing is a great and safe way to find cheap places to sleep most places you go, it's very common to see couchsurfers in Lisbon, Berlin, Paris, I'd recommend that, but there are many other hostels or other places to look at online.

If you know anything other than English, I suggest you use whatever knowledge you have of that language and go to a country that speaks it, especially if it's France or Spain or most places in Germany. If you visited Lisbon or Porto most everyone in their 20s to 30s speaks English and love practicing, but from personal experience even in Paris they don't speak much English (or they understand you but refuse to respond in English, that happened to me too), so be careful in that regard.

For me traveling is great, but if I'm going to western Europe I like to have some ability to communicate on a basic level with natives.

Either way, just do it and have fun. Don't visit too many places, just enjoy each city for what it offers, each one is worth at least three or four days if not more.

Stamp Paid
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Couchsurfing is a great and safe way to find cheap places to sleep most places you go, it's very common to see couchsurfers in Lisbon, Berlin, Paris, I'd recommend that, but there are many other hostels or other places to look at online.

If you know anything other than English, I suggest you use whatever knowledge you have of that language and go to a country that speaks it, especially if it's France or Spain or most places in Germany. If you visited Lisbon or Porto most everyone in their 20s to 30s speaks English and love practicing, but from personal experience even in Paris they don't speak much English (or they understand you but refuse to respond in English, that happened to me too), so be careful in that regard.

For me traveling is great, but if I'm going to western Europe I like to have some ability to communicate on a basic level with natives.

Either way, just do it and have fun. Don't visit too many places, just enjoy each city for what it offers, each one is worth at least three or four days if not more.
The concept of couchsurfing seems slightly scary, how have your experiences been with it? :lol:

LoveFifteen
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
The concept of couchsurfing seems slightly scary, how have your experiences been with it? :lol:

I agree. I don't think I could do it.

melodynelson
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:24 PM
The idea is scary, yeah, but it's really not that bad :lol: You sign up and exchange correspondence with the person whose space is best or most suitable to you, see the ins and outs of what's going on, how they are, etc etc, and you go meet up with them. I have never met a creepy person from couch surfing, and I've actually found that in every city I've been to using it there is always some weekly "couch surfing" meeting where people who are visiting and the hosts go out together and drink and use it as a way to socialize and get to know each other. Sometimes I go to one in Lisbon even though I'm not part of couchsurfing here just to hang out, I've met good friends that way, so it's got several purposes. So that's a great way to break ice in particular.

I see that couch surfing was actually based in America, I don't know how it works there. But in Lisbon/Berlin/Paris, it's all been like that for me.

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Couch surfing is a great way to save money. My roommate in Spain is a Mexican girl and she did it all the time. She encouraged me a few times but I just don't feel comfy living in a stranger's house.

It's totally personal though.

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Oh God Lisbon is better but Oporto is a place of language DISASTER:lol:

Luckily I do speak Spanish, so with my Spanish and a little body language we do understand each other:lol:

And I have to say you're right, in most parts of Spain and France, actually Italy too, ppl aren't used to speak languages other than their mother tongue. Young ppl do, but just some of the them. My linguistic experience in eastern Europe was a DISASTER. In Czech Republic and Hungary the situation was better cuz well, they're countries of tourism. But when I was in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, the situation was BAD BAD BAD. In Latvia luckily I've got a friend so she practically walked me through the city Riga, but in Lithuania, oh Gosh, almost nobody speaks English. Not even the receptionist of my hotel! And ppl were staring at me like I'm some kind of freak:lol: (this happens to us Asians there cuz they haven't seen that many Asians)

But tbh in Paris I've never experienced that kind of "ppl don't wanna speak English" thing, maybe I pick young person to ask for help or something, but in Marseilles, hell yea:tape:

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I just can't stop talking when it comes to European trips:lol:

So many great memories :sobbing:

canuckfan
Mar 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Go to South America instead. There's more variety and it's so much cheaper. Save Europe for when you're old and rich ;)

LoveFifteen
Mar 8th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Go to South America instead. There's more variety and it's so much cheaper. Save Europe for when you're old and rich ;)

I have to agree that unless you've got a sizable amount of money, you might want to consider Latin America or Southeast Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, etc.).

Maybe I am a materialist, but it sure does help your trip when you suddenly become 5 times richer due to the exchange rate.

Nicolás89
Mar 8th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'd like to try this one day. Like take a full year a visit all the places I want to see, when I travel I'm ussually working & stressed so I don't go out that much. :tears:

Stamp Paid
Mar 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM

I have to agree that unless you've got a sizable amount of money, you might want to consider Latin America or Southeast Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, etc.).

Maybe I am a materialist, but it sure does help your trip when you suddenly become 5 times richer due to the exchange rate.An 18 year old traveling by himself in South America? :lol:
I think Europe is an easier and safer option for him.

postalblowfish
Mar 8th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I could probably give you some advice on the UK if you want it.

Sammo
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I would go with someone honestly

Daruma.
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I'd go for it if I had the money. :sobbing:

ArturoAce.
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I just can't stop talking when it comes to European trips:lol:

So many great memories :sobbing:

What did you do in Iceland? I have this weird fascination of Iceland and their language.:lol:

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
What did you do in Iceland? I have this weird fascination of Iceland and their language.:lol:

It was a short stay but I technically did everything I could. I walked through almost every corner in Reykjavik, I joined a whale visit tour, I joined day trip to the Golden Circle (which formed by Great Geysir, one of the biggest geyser of the world, the waterfall Gullfoss and the National Park Thingvellir), I experienced the polar day. But I only stayed there for 2 nights, so there are still plenty of things I haven't done. Like the hot spring Blue Lake and the black beach in Vik. That's why I'm gonna return there when I get the chance for a longer stay.:lol:

Charlatan
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM
that's always been one of my all time dreams :inlove:
have fun :)

Fantasy Hero
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:37 PM
i've done that with 2 friends of mine using Interrail passes, but i'm sure i'll be doing it again, this time alone. If you need any help, just ask ;) Europe is largely safe if you don't look for troubles yourself anw, so just go for it :yeah:

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Interrail is a good choice if you move around connected countries. Or bus, Euroline is a good choice. Get this, I spent only 18 euros for a return tickets between Vienna and Budapest, that is a GOOD PRICE and it only takes you 3 hours and a half. It's a true money-saver.

Nicolás89
Mar 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I'd love to live in Iceland, everytime I think about the country I think that's like heaven must be like. :lol:

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I'd love to live in Iceland, everytime I think about the country I think that's like heaven must be like. :lol:

In summer yea, in winter, not so much:lol:

Nicolás89
Mar 8th, 2012, 09:54 PM
In summer yea, in winter, not so much:lol:

I like winter. :p

Mynarco
Mar 8th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I am struggling with couchsurfing because I have no network. I cannot get someone to let me crash his crouch. I would rather know people living under the same youth hostel, but it is quite chancy

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 10:04 PM

South America is not for 18-year-old alone trip, never ever, no no no! :bigcry:

Except for Argentine and Chile and Costa Rica...

Nicolás89
Mar 8th, 2012, 10:21 PM

Panama should be a very safe place too. Uruguay aswell.

Stamp Paid
Mar 8th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Panama should be a very safe place too. Uruguay aswell.But those countries are kinda boring, tbh :o What a pity it would be to go to South America and not see Brazil.

Nicolás89
Mar 8th, 2012, 10:40 PM
But those countries are kinda boring, tbh :o What a pity it would be to go to South America and not see Brazil.

I guess. :lol: Argentina is more visited that Brazil though. Machipichu & the Patagonia are natural places for backpackers. I don't know, South America is not just Brazil.

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:20 PM
I guess. :lol: Argentina is more visited that Brazil though. Machipichu & the Patagonia are natural places for backpackers. I don't know, South America is not just Brazil.

And you have Galapagos of Ecuador, too.

Panama is a beautiful country as well, you just have to leave that Brazilian frame to get to know the real Latin America.

After all it's a bunch of HISPANIC countries and a Brazil:lol:

Machu Pichu in Peru, Titicaca in Bolivia, Patagonia of Chile and Argentine, Galapagos of Ecuador, Amazon River and all those pyramids in Mexico, Latin America is so much more than Rio de Janeiro :lol:

See the movie "Rio" too much huh?:lol:

Mynarco
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:20 PM
But those countries are kinda boring, tbh :o What a pity it would be to go to South America and not see Brazil.

I want to go to Brazil so bad :sobbing:

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Panama should be a very safe place too. Uruguay aswell.

I dunno about Uruguay, I have a hard time distinguish Uruguay and Paraguay, which one is the dangerous one again?:lol:

And oh, no Honduras, unless you wanna be killed and threw into some river with already thousands of cadavers:lol:

canuckfan
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:21 PM

Peru and Bolivia are not exactly unsafe if you're prepared. Same for Ecuador and Colombia outside of the sketchy parts of Quito, Bogota, Medellin, etc.

There are tons of young people travelling alone along the "gringo trail".

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Peru and Bolivia are not exactly unsafe if you're prepared. Same for Ecuador and Colombia outside of the sketchy parts of Quito, Bogota, Medellin, etc.

There are tons of young people travelling alone along the "gringo trail".
I heard that Peru and Bolivia are even more dangerous than Quito...

The thing about Ecuador is, you really have to stay low. And be careful. First trip alone, still not recommended, maybe when you become a experienced traveler, then yes.;)

Stamp Paid
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I want to go to Brazil so bad :sobbing:
You should go. I recommend it. Its my second favorite country in the world. :lol:

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:31 PM
You should go. I recommend it. Its my second favorite country in the world. :lol:

Which is the first:rolleyes:

Larkin251
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:33 PM
http://www.hergoods.info/avatar3.jpgI know there's a plethora of information online but I want to hear from posters I can ..somewhat.. trust. Thanks!

Stamp Paid
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Which is the first:rolleyes: 法国 :lol:

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:37 PM
法国 :lol:
:facepalm: Gurl why u do it in Chinese? After all these time you still think I don't understand English?

France is...well.

Nice is GORGEOUS, that's it for me:tape:

canuckfan
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I heard that Peru and Bolivia are even more dangerous than Quito...

Not really. Lima is bad but southern Peru is overrun with tourists. You have to look out for scams and pickpockets but other than that it's allright. Bolivia is pretty safe overall.

First trip alone, still not recommended, maybe when you become a experienced traveler, then yes.;)

Yeah, maybe. South-east Asia would be a better option.

donellcarey
Mar 8th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Not really. Lima is bad but southern Peru is overrun with tourists. You have to look out for scams and pickpockets but other than that it's allright. Bolivia is pretty safe overall.

Yeah, maybe. South-east Asia would be a better option.
Malaysia and Thailand are good choices:lol:

Or maybe China:lol:

Stamp Paid
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:02 AM
:facepalm: Gurl why u do it in Chinese? After all these time you still think I don't understand English?

France is...well.

Nice is GORGEOUS, that's it for me:tape:We probably like to experience different things when we travel. :p France was everything to me, and more.

ranfurly
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:07 AM
backpack through the central african republic or the north east DRC

Great Idea, I would also suggest travelling through Taliban Strongholds in Afghanistan and perhaps dabble in some Trafficking in Columbia.

Mynarco
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:07 AM

Cannot afford air tickets :sobbing:
Brazil is gonna be big from 2013 onwards :sobbing:

*want to learn portuguese*

Sp!ffy
Mar 9th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Thanks guys. I didn't expect more than 3 responses. :lol:

Which countries? Do you know any languages aside from English?

I speak pretty good Spanish. I'm not sure which countries yet...if I do end up going this summer (which is likely), I'll probably save Paris and London for another time.

This is a life dream of mine. I haven't done it yet, but I will one year. Are you gonna for real backpack it, where you actually carry all of your possessions in your backpack/live in trains and hostels? Or are you gonna be basically vacationing in Europe? :lol:
I have travelled through Europe before, and I would say just stick to 2 or 3 countries that really interest you, and dont try to hit every single European capital. After a while, it all starts to become a blur and all the towns start to look the same. :lol:
Get a Eurail pass, and I'm sure you'll meet cool people at hostels. Try not to clique up with other backpacking Americans though, try to meet diverse people.

I'll be backpacking. I've gone on too many vacations in too many resorts...it gets boring after a while. I also want to do this before I get tied down with college and a job and things like that.

Sp!ffy
Mar 9th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Great Idea, I would also suggest travelling through Taliban Strongholds in Afghanistan and perhaps dabble in some Trafficking in Columbia.

I'd much rather engage in trafficking at Penn or Harvard. :drool:

Sp!ffy
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Are the majority of the people in hostels American? Because I hate Americans.

Sp!ffy
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:22 AM
How do you have sex in a hostel?

Stamp Paid
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Are the majority of the people in hostels American? Because I hate Americans.No, most European hostels (that I know of/had experience with) host a cornucopia of nationalities :)

Dominic
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I'm thinking barebacking through Europe would be more fun!

Seriously alone? You won't be able to share anything with anyone.. I personally wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Lord Choc Ice
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:36 AM
If you're looking for countries not so touristy infected, Helsinki is great, but quite far away, same thing with other Scandinavian countries. And you'd want to go around June/July. You can go to bigger countries but not visit the big cities as much also. Another good one would be Bratislava, there are a lot of great little citites that not many people know about either like Lviv in the Ukraine and Bruges in Belgium, in fact Belgium as a whole is quite underrated. Luxembourg is quite nice and not a huge tourist hot spot

Hostel is set in Bratislava :oh:.

Sp!ffy
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I'm thinking barebacking through Europe would be more fun!

Seriously alone? You won't be able to share anything with anyone.. I personally wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Hahahaha...:haha:

I meant to say that I won't be bringing anyone with me. I don't think I'll be alone over there though. :p

Stamp Paid
Mar 9th, 2012, 05:52 AM
It depends how much foreign you know. Its a good idea if you know a little foreign, and you know when people say the locals appreciate when you have go? Yeah...they really don't.

If you're looking for countries not so touristy infected, Helsinki is great, but quite far away, same thing with other Scandinavian countries. And you'd want to go around June/July. You can go to bigger countries but not visit the big cities as much also. Another good one would be Bratislava, there are a lot of great little citites that not many people know about either like Lviv in the Ukraine and Bruges in Belgium, in fact Belgium as a whole is quite underrated. Luxembourg is quite nice and not a huge tourist hot spotI agree 100%, Belgium was the quirkiest and one of the funnest places I've travelled, Brussels in particular.

LoveFifteen
Mar 9th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I love traveling alone. You can meet people and have ... experiences. Ha.

Europe can be very expensive, but if you get most of your food at grocery stores, you can save a lot of money.

That being said, I do not like budget travel. :lol:

Rerun
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:27 PM

u can't :)

Martha's fans should keep their dowry :)
sex isnt something that should be matter of interest :angel:

donellcarey
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Are the majority of the people in hostels American? Because I hate Americans.

O yea. But of course there's some more. But mostly Americans.

donellcarey
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM
No, most European hostels (that I know of/had experience with) host a cornucopia of nationalities :)
But for the most part you meet Americans, that's my experience.

donellcarey
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM

:facepalm:

You DON'T. Or simply find a small hostel for one night and stuff.

Stamp Paid
Mar 9th, 2012, 08:04 PM
How do you have sex in a hostel?:unsure:

Sp!ffy
Mar 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I was just kidding you fools.

All in all, thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to look into the countries and cities you all recommended. :)

Sam L
Mar 9th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Depends on what you're interested in I think. With your Spanish language skills maybe you want to spend more time traveling around Spain?

I think if you have a lot of time, trains are the way to go. If you know exactly which days you're going to travel buy the tickets. If you don't, buy EUrail travel pass.

I've never backpacked and I'm not someone who can cope with financial or other insecurity. So I always have to have everything planned from Day 1 to Day X. If you know anyone in any of these countries, it would be great. I do and it offers a lot of flexibility and different side to the touristy path. Especially if you know Spanish, you should use it.

Mynarco
Mar 9th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I would rather do Eastern Europe than Western. Just saying. Baltic states, the balkan states and other countries in between give you different vibes

Sam L
Mar 9th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I would rather do Eastern Europe than Western. Just saying. Baltic states, the balkan states and other countries in between give you different vibes
People who have done or are from Western Europe always says that. But it depends on the person and also the countries. I prefer France, Italy from western Europe and Russia from eastern Europe above all others. Although I've never been to Russia but will be soon. :D

Nicolás89
Mar 9th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I would do Hungary & Bulgaria. The buildings are so beautiful there.

edificio
Mar 13th, 2012, 06:27 AM
When I was 24, I did this. You have to pay attention and make sure when something or someone or some situation seems weird or makes you nervous that you follow your gut. I took trains, buses, and ferries to 8 countries, and I had very little money. I stayed in pensiones and a cheap hotel or two--no couch surfing. Sometimes I met a few others and traveled with them a bit. It was great, but I had moved around a lot as a child and had lived in Europe, so nothing seemed terribly unfamiliar, though cyrillic street signs in Greece gave me pause, and I've never been homesick. I met several people who were homesick and desperate to leave. Greece has the best food for vegetarians--great produce, and Italy has overall generally good food. Barcelona has a lot of pickpockets. They got me on my second day there. Madrid also has some, but they failed. Otherwise, I love Madrid, even if it is huge. (Spanish food was kind of boring. Sorry, Spain.) The Prado is just fantastic. You can't visit too often.

BlueTrees
Mar 13th, 2012, 02:21 PM
You don't have any friends so you have to do it alone? :haha:

edificio
Mar 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Actually, going alone helps you meet others more easily. When you are with a friend, you don't push yourself to meet others so freely. Just my thought. I also traveled with a friend, and we met fewer people.:shrug:

azdaja
Mar 13th, 2012, 07:21 PM
i agree about hungary but bulgaria? i liked bulgaria but not for beautiful buildings.

i also didn't think much about bratislava.

barcelona is probably the only city in europe where you are 100% guaranteed to get robbed by pickpockets or to see them in action on other people. i was lucky to get the latter.

i also think that the cold war term "eastern europe" doesn't really cut it when you are travelling because most of those countries shared most of their history with central europe and not with russia and you can see it. those countries tend to be cheaper and there are some real gems to be discovered there, though, and generally i found people i met at hostels in "eastern europe" more fun than those in the most touristy places.

Mistress of Evil
Mar 13th, 2012, 09:40 PM

i agree about hungary but bulgaria? i liked bulgaria but not for beautiful buildings.

Yeah, I am also quite amused about your impression that there is some exquisite architecture in Bulgaria. :lol: Have no idea from where did you heard it but just so you know do not get your hopes up. :)

Nicolás89
Mar 13th, 2012, 10:07 PM
What about Sofia though? I'm just saying what my firends tell me. :lol:

donellcarey
Mar 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Never visited Sofia, cuz it's not Schengen :lol:

But I have to say most of the Eastern Europe cities are quite different from what we mostly know about Europe, so it's mos def worth a trip there.

Sp!ffy
Mar 14th, 2012, 12:44 AM

i also didn't think much about bratislava.

barcelona is probably the only city in europe where you are 100% guaranteed to get robbed by pickpockets or to see them in action on other people. i was lucky to get the latter.

i also think that the cold war term "eastern europe" doesn't really cut it when you are travelling because most of those countries shared most of their history with central europe and not with russia and you can see it. those countries tend to be cheaper and there are some real gems to be discovered there, though, and generally i found people i met at hostels in "eastern europe" more fun than those in the most touristy places.

Hmm, that's interesting. Eastern Europe definitely doesn't have the best reputation in the States but it actually does like a lot of fun, judging from what I've read.

Sp!ffy
Mar 14th, 2012, 12:49 AM

You're right, BlueTrees...I have no friends. :sad: Will u b my friend plz??

Mynarco
Mar 14th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Bratislava - the city itself is piss boring, the only thing good is that it's quite close to Vienna :lol:

Josh.
Mar 14th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Ive done it but with one other friend. If you stick to the mains cities and just have your wits about you you should be fine. Don't stress too much about the language barrier, I find it you learn the basics and show an actual intent to speak their language most people will try and speak english. Most people do speak a small amount of english since a high number tourists speak english. The netherlands was brilliant, everyone spoke fantastic english and were happy to speak it. Through my experience Paris and Berlin were the hardest place with language, but even then I still didn't have any issues.

BlueTrees
Mar 14th, 2012, 03:53 PM
You're right, BlueTrees...I have no friends. :sad: Will u b my friend plz??

Of course

:bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: NOT :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave:

Mistress of Evil
Mar 15th, 2012, 08:13 PM
What about Sofia though? I'm just saying what my firends tell me. :lol:

Erm, not that I have spent so much time in Sofia but quite frankly have no idea why would someone find it amusing from an architectural point of view. The authentic old houses might be of some interest, I guess.

Just Do It
Mar 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Some of the posts in this thread :spit:
How do you have sex in a hostel and I'd rather bareback through Europe killed me :(

I've never traveled alone but I think it might actually be interesting.

Mynarco
Mar 15th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Some of the posts in this thread :spit:
How do you have sex in a hostel and I'd rather bareback through Europe killed me :(

I've never traveled alone but I think it might actually be interesting.

:sobbing: Danilo

Just Do It
Mar 15th, 2012, 08:49 PM
^ I just quoted it :sobbing:

And to add, I guess one of the bad sides of traveling alone is that you have to ask people to take a photo of you in front of some building you really like. I'd hate that :(

Mynarco
Mar 15th, 2012, 08:54 PM
^ I just quoted it :sobbing:

And to add, I guess one of the bad sides of traveling alone is that you have to ask people to take a photo of you in front of some building you really like. I'd hate that :(

found it :sobbing: about to edit the post :lol:

Back on topic. I keep practising my DIY phototaking skill when travelling alone - it looks REALLY awkward but I seldom hand my camera to some random people

Just Do It
Mar 15th, 2012, 08:56 PM
found it :sobbing: about to edit the post :lol:

Back on topic. I keep practising my DIY phototaking skill when travelling alone - it looks REALLY awkward but I seldom hand my camera to some random people

Is it because you are scared they will start running with it like they do in candid cameras or you just feel stupid asking random people to take a photo?

Mynarco
Mar 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Is it because you are scared they will start running in it like they do in candid cameras or you just feel stupid asking random people to take a photo?

It's more about security reasons. If I am with the random stranger in some confined public area (eg. the top of a viewing tower) I don't mind asking him/her to take a picture for me.

Daruma.
Mar 15th, 2012, 09:03 PM
It's more about security reasons. If I am with the random stranger in some confined public area (eg. the top of a viewing tower) I don't mind asking him/her to take a picture for me.

I once saw a tourist asking someone to take a picture of himself and when the tourist tried to give the camera to the guy, the guy couldn't hold the camera properly and dropped it on the ground but I don't know what happened afterwards. That's when I decided I'd never let anyone stranger hold my camera. :D

quince
Mar 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Hey, guys! I am gonna travel backpacking through Europe this April and May.
Road map is Warsaw, Lodz, Bremen, Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn. If any of you is living in the mentioned cities let me know by PM. Would be fun to meet and chat about tennis:D

ranfurly
Mar 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Hey, guys! I am gonna travel backpacking through Europe this April and May.
Road map is Warsaw, Lodz, Bremen, Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn. If any of you is living in the mentioned cities let me know by PM. Would be fun to meet and chat about tennis:D

Hi Tea :wavey:

Whats your next culinary username going to be after you're banned? Nectarine? Jam? Marmalade? Conserve?

quince
Mar 15th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Hi Tea :wavey:

Whats your next culinary username going to be after you're banned? Nectarine? Jam? Marmalade? Conserve?
:confused: Wish I knew what you're talking about. FYI, I have never been banned from tennis forum.

hellas719
Mar 20th, 2012, 02:34 AM
cyrillic street signs in Greece.

LOL there aren't any Cyrillic street signs in Greece :spit:
We have our own alphabet ;)